Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

"Impressed with Haris Rauf, but he's still a bit raw" : Mickey Arthur

A few of you have been asking about Mickey's thoughts on Haris Rauf. So I asked Mickey and this is what he said:

"He did impress me but still a bit raw and untried in 50 overs-watched him bowl tonight and he was ok."

"I guess you could say the same of Hasnain but only had one position for a x factor guy and took Hasnain. I thought he had better control in all phases of the game"

"Yes he certainly does have time on his side and have him in line after the World Cup as well as a few others"

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Arthur. With the inclusion of world class bowlers like Shinwari, Junaid, Amir, Yasir, Abbas, there is no place for a spray gun like Harris or even Hasnain

Ghareeb saray mar gaye
    Kiun kai, zinda hai bhutto zinda hai

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the most spirited fellows with genuine pace. Bowled his heart out today on a placid wicket with the new bowl. Got the first wicket for the Sindh team and almost got another one when Umar Siddiq edged to simple catch at slip which was dropped clumsily. On this bakwas ticket was able to seam and bit of swing bowling more than 140 clicks. Deserves to travel with the team, Azhar Mahmood can really work on this bloke and help him realize his potential.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    A few of you have been asking about Mickey's thoughts on Haris Rauf. So I asked Mickey and this is what he said:

"He did impress me but still a bit raw and untried in 50 overs-watched him bowl tonight and he was ok."

"I guess you could say the same of Hasnain but only had one position for a x factor guy and took Hasnain. I thought he had better control in all phases of the game"

"Yes he certainly does have time on his side and have him in line after the World Cup as well as a few others"
    Well than i think Hasnain is definitely going to the worldcup if he passes the fitness test.

On a sidenote,thankyou so much for what you do for Pakistan cricket and especially the fans for relaying their concerns to the authorities when ever possible.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Rauf has pace but is raw"

*Proceeds to select Hasnain as one of the 23 probables*

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have kept him with the team and taken the UK even if he was not in the WC plans.

He has so much potential and should stay away from the rotten domestic structure.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo7 View Post

Did you read the opening post or just commented after seeing the title...

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately only Bowler that looked ready was Musa. Rest looks v ordinary and nothing special about them.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Mickey is referring to 2-3 wides from him in PSL or few in Pakistan Cup while trying yorkers when other bowlers try that not as often as Haris has done towards the end as well as beginning shouldn't fall under lack of control. You wont fail unless you try and other bowlers dont try those, he executes them majority of the times with perfection and he looked well in control of most of the other stuff he bowls as well.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lahoriyah1234 View Post
    Unfortunately only Bowler that looked ready was Musa. Rest looks v ordinary and nothing special about them.
    Musa is really talented but lacks control at the moment and his PSL's economy will show that.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rauf bowled some excellent yorkers at the death in PSL. Both Hasnain and him are inexperienced but perhaps Mickey only wanted one of them for some reason. Could have been tried vs Aus but i guess they wanted to give Abbas a go. His death bowling would have been useful as only Amir is really good at the death for us at the moment.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not good enough.

Not yet at least.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    What exactly does 'raw' mean in fast-bowler terms?

To me, it describes Musa who right now is quite hit and miss and tends to have some good days alongside many bad ones.

But it doesn't describe Rauf well who actually has bowled like a seasoned campaigner in the past couple of months. He's one of the few right-arm pacers who's actually getting good shape with the new ball, he reverse-swings the old one and almost always nails the yorker. If the point is that he's inexperienced, then yes that's true. But our experienced pacers are hardly setting the world alight, and we're going to a World Cup with a guy who turns 19 in a couple of days as the leader of the attack.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rauf at the moment is ahead of Hassnain .

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After watching his bowling in PSL my only concern was "whether he has stamina to bowl 10 overs with good pace?" & so far in Pakistan cup he has Bowles beautifully. 3 wickets in 2 matches with a very good economy rate that too on batting paradise/PHATTA PITCH.
    He has good pace. He has the ability to swing the new ball & reverse the old ball. He has deadly accurate Yorkers (which he bowls plenty during death overs). At present he is probably the best death overs bowler. At least he should be considered for England series (ideally he should be in WC Squad) but it's disappointing that his name is not in the 23 probable players for WC squad

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the more interesting part of that quote is not his thoughts on this kid. What was more interesting is that he said..."es he certainly does have time on his side and have him in line after the World Cup as well as a few others"...which indicates that he wants to continue as head coach after the WC. Now that is an interesting development. It had seemed to that lately his heart was not in it anymore and the WC would be his final assignment. I now wonder if that was true or if Wasim Khan coming in has changed the equation.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello can u tell him if hafeez is playing he has to bat 6 and sarfaraz needs to play in the middle of the innings!!!

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo7 View Post

And we have already seen magnificent results from the unraw bowlers in the team, havent we?

I say we seem to giving away 280+ in every ODI anyway.So might as well try new bowlers

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. He'll get his chance after the World Cup, I'm sure of it.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy has not made his first class debut yet, whats the rush.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    If Mickey is referring to 2-3 wides from him in PSL or few in Pakistan Cup while trying yorkers when other bowlers try that not as often as Haris has done towards the end as well as beginning shouldn't fall under lack of control. You wont fail unless you try and other bowlers dont try those, he executes them majority of the times with perfection and he looked well in control of most of the other stuff he bowls as well.
    I don't think Mickey watches enough cricket to truly make this assessment.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hasnain is arguably more raw. And that was the point of this series. Was it not? To try new players.

I believe they both would've held it down in the middle overs.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What does raw means? The only reason I see Haris Rauf isn't selected is because he has never played a 50 over game or first class match before

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The World Cup squad isnt a talent hunt program. To much relevance being given to PSL games.

This is serious stuff and taking inexperienced pacers who could breakdown etc is a huge risk.

Pakistan have to balance the squad out.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    The World Cup squad isnt a talent hunt program. To much relevance being given to PSL games.

This is serious stuff and taking inexperienced pacers who could breakdown etc is a huge risk.

Pakistan have to balance the squad out.
    It isn't a TTF's service/career extension program either.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadozai View Post
    It isn't a TTF's service extension program either.
    You can only experiment with a certain percentage of players bro - only a few X factor types, rest have to have had some experience.

Of course, why Rauf has not had int experience before is another issue but WC is not the place to find out how good he is.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    You can only experiment with a certain percentage of players bro - only a few X factor types, rest have to have had some experience.

Of course, why Rauf has not had int experience before is another issue but WC is not the place to find out how good he is.
    Pakistan bowling lineup lacks pace, on most occasions they leak too many runs during death overs, they have deficiency of right arm fast bowlers. When it comes to needs of Pakistani bowling lineup Haris Rauf ticks the most boxes, so in my opinion he should be in the squad as that "X Factor". However, I do agree with the gist of your comments.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Raw? To be very fair I would use that term to describe hasnain and musa. But rauf has looked the most accurate and threatening out of the three. His yorkers are pinpoint and his also been getting decent shape on the bowl. He hardly looks raw and seems like a leader of the bowling attack of the teams he has so far played for.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard that Haris Rauf refused to play domestic games from Islamabad, and atleast Hasnain had played a couple FC and list A games. Rauf only had T20 experience.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    I heard that Haris Rauf refused to play domestic games from Islamabad, and atleast Hasnain had played a couple FC and list A games. Rauf only had T20 experience.
    I don't think that's true. It was a rumor started by a certain journalist.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    And still they've selected Mohamed Hasnain who is no better than

"Beware of this world, for it is sweet and tempting.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Last WorldCup we had a well balanced team of 35 year olds and 40 year olds, and we reached the finals I guess.

"Beware of this world, for it is sweet and tempting.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Seems like it was a choice between Hasnainand Haris in the 23.

I would have had both in the 23 and left out Yasir Shah.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for getting his thoughts- provides a great insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

Sounds like Mickey missed Rauf's first game in the Pakistan Cup. Rauf's performance in the second game was not as good as it was in the first...

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    What exactly does 'raw' mean in fast-bowler terms?

To me, it describes Musa who right now is quite hit and miss and tends to have some good days alongside many bad ones.

But it doesn't describe Rauf well who actually has bowled like a seasoned campaigner in the past couple of months. He's one of the few right-arm pacers who's actually getting good shape with the new ball, he reverse-swings the old one and almost always nails the yorker. If the point is that he's inexperienced, then yes that's true. But our experienced pacers are hardly setting the world alight, and we're going to a World Cup with a guy who turns 19 in a couple of days as the leader of the attack.
    Perfectly summed up.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well Mickey we all saw what your perfectly cooked bowlers have been doing for the past year or so.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even a dead horse can see that Rauf is more mature than some current national side bowlers.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Saj might be time for Mickey to review his opinion. Sorely missing a bowler like Rauf in the line up...

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't mind seeing Amir replaced by Rauf since he probably won't be fit again.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Jeddah,KSA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is something special about him, he looks like a strong built man who can put some force behind the ball and send those stumps flying which is a rare sight in cricket these days.

"Rahul Dravid and Waqar Younis are my Favorites"

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Huge mistake not testing Haris here. You need pace and ability to bowl yorkers at will on these tracks.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I'd take 'raw' Haris over dross like Junaid or Faheem any day of the week.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Faheem Junaid and Unfortunately Abid Ali needs to make way for Amir Asif and Haris Rauf (We really need someone who can bowl yorkers at will)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Haris is a bit 'raw' and Hasnain is...?

Debut
    Jun 2017