Instagram


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 77 of 77
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    101,324
    Mentioned
    1824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)

    "Spoke to FC cricketers during PSL, they were saying that they still get biryani" : Wasim Akram

    Wasim Akram speaking to the media:

    "It's a format that was used in the 1992 World Cup, all teams have to play each other"

    "In this tournament, flukes won't work like there was the Super Six format where Kenya qualified for a semi-final. Here, the 4 best teams will qualify. Pakistan team has a chance"

    "Pakistan experimented against Australia, it's fine, people will criticise for no reason"

    "Someone tell me is there a good bowler who we haven't seen yet? OK Amir has taken 4 wickets in 14 matches, but he's still one of the best bowlers we have. He can swing the ball, he's just not getting wickets"

    "Since we were playing cricket, our PM Imran Khan was saying this, that we should have Grade cricket style like there is in Australia. There's no harm but the only problem that we'll eventually have is how will the remaining cricketers make do? There's 22 million in Australia and 200+ million in Pakistan. I believe in quality, not quantity. To make it to one of the 6 teams, you'll have to work hard"

    "In 4 PSL editions, did we find even one good batsman? No. If we saw anyone, it was bowlers. Not one batsman"

    "Look at the domestic tournament right now, any batsman you see hitting shots has one shot. Clear the foot and smash to mid-wicket, I can also do that now. We need to learn proper cricketing shots and that'll come through FC cricket when the system is fixed"

    "Now the system is in cricketers' hands again after being destroyed by one person"

    (On Mohammad Hasnain) "By holding him back, what do you want to do? Cook him? When I came to the team, I was 17. I hadn't played any cricket. When Waqar came, he was 18 and had played hardly any FC cricket. The more he (Hasnain) stays around the team, the more his confidence and fitness will improve. In FC cricket, his fitness won't improve"

    "I was speaking to FC cricketers during PSL and they were saying that they still get Biryani. Now will you feed players biryani then go and beat the best teams in the world? It's impossible. If you score, you get a boti otherwise you get just rice"
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 8th April 2019 at 01:53.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on even we know the 1992 world cup was a bit of a fluke. The group stage match against eng if we had lost we would have been out but rain helped us.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    78,020
    Mentioned
    5251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I wonder how many times the word “fluke” has been used in the context of Pakistan cricket since the Champions Trophy.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    31,136
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I wonder how many times the word “fluke” has been used in the context of Pakistan cricket since the Champions Trophy.
    Doesn't it get used every time they win?

  5. #5
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    25,436
    Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Typical nonsense from Wasim.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    514
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewana Mastana View Post
    Doesn't it get used every time they win?
    Perfect reply, hats off to you sir.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    71,279
    Mentioned
    1552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    26 Thread(s)
    He's right about the diets.

    It's clear that some of the Pakistani players are overweight and unfit.



  8. #8
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    11,157
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Swing of Sultan?

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    1,439
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasim Akram is absolutely correct. I think the greatest ODI bowler of all time knows a thing or two about making sure his body is in peak condition!

    Whilst sports science, fitness and nutrition has advanced significantly in the last decade, a lot of our players are still out of shape. Having Inzimam as chief selector doesn’t help in this regard either! Neither does having a captain with a visible belly!

    There’s a reason that our fast bowlers can’t stay consistently fast throughout a full test match and fitness/diet plays a big part.

    Think of it like this... if you fill a Rolls Royce with cheap supermarket fuel, it’s not going to run efficiently. You need the best fuel for ye best performance and our player need strict diets and fitness regimens if they want to be the best in the world!

  10. #10
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    6,016
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Swing of Sultan?
    That caught my eye too

  11. #11
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    30,416
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    While I agree with players needing to be on healthy diets 90% of the times but Wasim is stretching it here, you are allowed a cheat meal or cheat day here and there.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    9,284
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Typical nonsense.. cant keep his mouth shut”

    I read such comments and I wonder if posters even read the original posts.

    Waz has not said anything wrong at all.. and those who think we won by fluke in 92, should watch the England game again. The way the ball was swinging that day, you put any modern day side to face them today, they won’t score more than 50. It was prodigious swing. And amer Sohail and salim malik batted well to stick it out close to 40 overs that day. Had we gotten out quicker and not played for time, England would have chased the total before the rain arrived.
    So that one point was hard fought and well earned.

    Also the game against South Africa, we would have won had it not been for rain as well. So it evened out.

    Kids these days don’t know their cricketing history. The way we came back to win under must win situation, it is a shame for people to say it was a fluke win. No cricketing expert has ever called our World Cup win a fluke win (unless you are botham or some other disgruntled England player)

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    2,100
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most Pakistani cricketers don't look like professional athletes. The cause of that is very clear, if you are a "professional" it is your job to be in the best shape possible, but unfortunately our culture is way too laid back for these things to get any importance. It really wasn't until Kohli revealed his diet and fitness that lead to some of our players starting to looking after themselves, but then again I feel it was a half hearted effort.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    104,234
    Mentioned
    664 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    He's right about the diets.

    It's clear that some of the Pakistani players are overweight and unfit.
    Shame our batsmen dont have same hunger for scoring runs.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    25,436
    Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    “Typical nonsense.. cant keep his mouth shut”

    I read such comments and I wonder if posters even read the original posts.

    Waz has not said anything wrong at all.. and those who think we won by fluke in 92, should watch the England game again. The way the ball was swinging that day, you put any modern day side to face them today, they won’t score more than 50. It was prodigious swing. And amer Sohail and salim malik batted well to stick it out close to 40 overs that day. Had we gotten out quicker and not played for time, England would have chased the total before the rain arrived.
    So that one point was hard fought and well earned.

    Also the game against South Africa, we would have won had it not been for rain as well. So it evened out.

    Kids these days don’t know their cricketing history. The way we came back to win under must win situation, it is a shame for people to say it was a fluke win. No cricketing expert has ever called our World Cup win a fluke win (unless you are botham or some other disgruntled England player)
    He has talked about diets many times. Hardly anything revolutionary.

    Furthermore he says you need to play well to win the WC. Again what is so revolutionary from this? I respect what he has done for Pakistan cricket but Wasim is not great at analysing games and also not great in the media.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    9,284
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    He has talked about diets many times. Hardly anything revolutionary.

    Furthermore he says you need to play well to win the WC. Again what is so revolutionary from this? I respect what he has done for Pakistan cricket but Wasim is not great at analysing games and also not great in the media.
    He states the obvious, yes... but it’s far from nonsense.. I don’t find anything wrong with what he says 90% of the time. The other 10%, he is just being opinionated and it could be right or wrong depending on how you look at it.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1992 world cup win wasnt a fluke at all. Pak were deserving winners. They needed luck in that one match against Eng and got lucky. And u need luck at some stage when u play in a global and long tournament in one or two matches but its ur consistence performance at the end that takes u to the glory. Only Australian team of WC 2003 and WC 2007 didnt need luck as they were on another level all together.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    3,538
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why are people always slandering biryani? Bityani doesn't make you unfit. Any unbalanced diet is unhealthy. Biryani is just more carb heavy than some food. So eat judiciously!

  19. #19
    Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    9,284
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Windies of 75 and 79.. they streamrolled oppositions to championships then

  20. #20
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    And Windies of 75 and 79.. they streamrolled oppositions to championships then
    Yes exactly. Actually I have only heard about West Indies team that they too were invincible and smashed other teams for fun but I have seen Australian team doing it. I mean how they did it was simply terrific, amazing, mindblowing. So ruthless in decimating their opposition.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    3,265
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His idea of fitness is old fashioned, the current trend among professional athlete is more emphasize on exercise and not too much on diet. Exercise or gym work needs to be individualized for the kind of sport you play with right mix of aerobic and resistant training.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I wonder how many times the word “fluke” has been used in the context of Pakistan cricket since the Champions Trophy.
    Sir, @Mamoon that only vindicates that how true u were that u termed it fluke way before WASIM Akram and Nauman Niaz started using it for PAK team's CHAMPION TROPHY WIN. Ppl must introspect rather than getting irked with ur expert analysis. You are spot on with ur views . Sir, thats why I am one of ur biggest admirers. I will wait for your posts during WORLD CUP as I dont miss any of ur posts.
    Last edited by Abu_Hamza; 8th April 2019 at 00:26.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    1,954
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo7 View Post
    Come on even we know the 1992 world cup was a bit of a fluke. The group stage match against eng if we had lost we would have been out but rain helped us.
    Yes, but the rain made us loose the match against South Africa. From England we only got 1 point but we lost 2 points against south africa due to Rain.
    Then wrong run out decision against Imran Khan Vs India cost another 2 points.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    30,808
    Mentioned
    1030 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Hamza View Post
    1992 world cup win wasnt a fluke at all. Pak were deserving winners. They needed luck in that one match against Eng and got lucky. And u need luck at some stage when u play in a global and long tournament in one or two matches but its ur consistence performance at the end that takes u to the glory. Only Australian team of WC 2003 and WC 2007 didnt need luck as they were on another level all together.
    People go on and on about Pakistan being lucky in 1992, and whilst its true they benefited from rain against England (so did England in the semi final) - it's not like Pakistan were some lower-tier team that went on a hot run.

    Contrary to common perception about the 1999 side which was massively reliant on its bowling to bail out a weak batting unit - Pakistan's best ODI team was actually formed during the late 1980s and early 1990s.

    Pakistan won 10 out of 13 ODI series between the end of the 1988/89 Benson and Hedges World Series and the 1992 World Cup.

    They won the 1989 Champions Trophy, the 1989 Nehru Cup (a mini World Cup), 1990 Australasia Cup, whitewashed both West Indies and New Zealand in 1990 and the 1991 Wills Trophy. And yet for years we hear the story about how Pakistan were no hopers, underdogs etc as if we were some minnow.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    78,020
    Mentioned
    5251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Hamza View Post
    Sir, @Mamoon that only vindicates that how true u were that u termed it fluke way before WASIM Akram and Nauman Niaz started using it for PAK team's CHAMPION TROPHY WIN. Ppl must introspect rather than getting irked with ur expert analysis. You are spot on with ur views . Sir, thats why I am one of ur biggest admirers. I will wait for your posts during WORLD CUP as I dont miss any of ur posts.
    Well, I am extremely flattered and humbled by your gracious words, but I have been wrong more times than I have been right. Nonetheless, people like Wasim, Shoaib and even Dr. Nauman Diaz hold distinguished positions and their opinions and views have influence.

    They should refrain from using terms like fluke etc. because it can do no good for the morale of the team. How would the players feel when a legend like Wasim is dismissive of their Champions Trophy triumph and has labeled it a fluke? This is the time for our former players to show faith in the players and back them to go all the way.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    7,801
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not just the problem with Pakistani players but its the problem of subcontinent as a whole.

    Lasith Malinga, Angelo Mathews, Mohammad Shehzad, Rohit Sharma, Kuldeep Yadav etc.

    Do they really look like professional athletes to Wasim?

  27. #27
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    3,232
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A professional athlete who is getting paid to play cricket, supposedly living the dream, should be extremely fit.

    Every time I see an unfit cricketer (especially a Pakistani) it breaks my heart. In this day and age, with so many apps and coaches it is so easy to get 100% fit. Heck, a nobody like me can get decent body fat and lose/gain weight in some months.

    Respect to likes of Kohli for keeping it real.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    15,485
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was Wasim eating during the 99 Indian tour?

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    2,157
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utter nonsense.

    A combination of rice and meat, if consumed in the correct amount is part of a good diet.

    Also, I see no fitness issues with some of Pakistan's best young players, who are all in far better shape than Wasim ever was (Hasan Ali, Shadab Khan and co).

    They are all also better fielders than Wasim and his generation could dream of.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    23,748
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just criticism for the sake of it yet again from Captain Obvious.

    Majority of our first choice ODI team are very fit. It’s actually the fittest and best fielding team we’ve had going into a World Tournament but Waz will be Waz.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    9,284
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistani pride View Post
    What was Wasim eating during the 99 Indian tour?
    I don’t know but he was extremely fit for someone with diabetes at that ahe and he bowled like a champ.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    30,808
    Mentioned
    1030 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post
    This is just criticism for the sake of it yet again from Captain Obvious.

    Majority of our first choice ODI team are very fit. It’s actually the fittest and best fielding team we’ve had going into a World Tournament but Waz will be Waz.
    Bit of a contradiction from Wasim that fitness is an issue then picks Umar Akmal in his squad.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    25,436
    Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    He states the obvious, yes... but it’s far from nonsense.. I don’t find anything wrong with what he says 90% of the time. The other 10%, he is just being opinionated and it could be right or wrong depending on how you look at it.
    There is more to fitness than stop eating biryani . His analysis is nothing insightful.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    29,665
    Mentioned
    1348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post
    Utter nonsense.

    A combination of rice and meat, if consumed in the correct amount is part of a good diet.

    Also, I see no fitness issues with some of Pakistan's best young players, who are all in far better shape than Wasim ever was (Hasan Ali, Shadab Khan and co).

    They are all also better fielders than Wasim and his generation could dream of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post
    This is just criticism for the sake of it yet again from Captain Obvious.

    Majority of our first choice ODI team are very fit. It’s actually the fittest and best fielding team we’ve had going into a World Tournament but Waz will be Waz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    There is more to fitness than stop eating biryani . His analysis is nothing insightful.
    I've added the proper quotes in the OP. Makes a bit more sense now.

    What he's referring to is FC cricketers being fed biryani during domestic cricket games.

    Most of the cricketers who aren't young or around the Pakistan team set-up have poor fitness levels.


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  35. #35
    Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    9,284
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With these quotes added, you can see now even more that Waz is making perfect sense.. except for Amir I think. I do agree with him on hansnain that he should be there but not at the expense of shinwari but amir. Waz really needs to see that shinwari has outperformed amir by miles in last year or so.

    Makes some solid points on other stuff too.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    3,265
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post
    Utter nonsense.

    A combination of rice and meat, if consumed in the correct amount is part of a good diet.

    Also, I see no fitness issues with some of Pakistan's best young players, who are all in far better shape than Wasim ever was (Hasan Ali, Shadab Khan and co).

    They are all also better fielders than Wasim and his generation could dream of.
    Absolutely, carbohydrates in right amount are an important part of a healthy diet for any athlete.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    7,913
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does not really matter if they eat biryani as long as they score plenty off runs even with pot belly's! Kohli does not score century after century due to his physique but hand eye co-ordination and flair. I think fitness amongst Cricketers is a bit overrated. With Inzi being coach the big man will think the team needs kebabs if anyone argue's with him on this one I still recall watching old footage of Wasim insisting on a chicken biryani himself during the lunch break on the 1998-99 tour to India. Of coourse our former Cricketers forget what they used to get up to during their playing days. Our flawed system does not allow the best players to rise to the top. It is full of nepotism or "mafia" as IK call it.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    1,012
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone needs to keep saying it, hopefully players listen.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    1,157
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Does not really matter if they eat biryani as long as they score plenty off runs even with pot belly's! Kohli does not score century after century due to his physique but hand eye co-ordination and flair. I think fitness amongst Cricketers is a bit overrated. With Inzi being coach the big man will think the team needs kebabs if anyone argue's with him on this one I still recall watching old footage of Wasim insisting on a chicken biryani himself during the lunch break on the 1998-99 tour to India. Of coourse our former Cricketers forget what they used to get up to during their playing days. Our flawed system does not allow the best players to rise to the top. It is full of nepotism or "mafia" as IK call it.
    That time was different. Fitness wasn't such a big deal. Now all teams are paying attention to it.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Does not really matter if they eat biryani as long as they score plenty off runs even with pot belly's! Kohli does not score century after century due to his physique but hand eye co-ordination and flair. I think fitness amongst Cricketers is a bit overrated. With Inzi being coach the big man will think the team needs kebabs if anyone argue's with him on this one I still recall watching old footage of Wasim insisting on a chicken biryani himself during the lunch break on the 1998-99 tour to India. Of coourse our former Cricketers forget what they used to get up to during their playing days. Our flawed system does not allow the best players to rise to the top. It is full of nepotism or "mafia" as IK call it.
    Well you can score 70s and 80s with hand eye coordination and flair but to score 150s and 200s that Kohli scores , you've got to have his physique.


  41. #41
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    24,598
    Mentioned
    1895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by as-95 View Post
    Wasim Akram is absolutely correct. I think the greatest ODI bowler of all time knows a thing or two about making sure his body is in peak condition!

    Whilst sports science, fitness and nutrition has advanced significantly in the last decade, a lot of our players are still out of shape. Having Inzimam as chief selector doesnÂ’t help in this regard either! Neither does having a captain with a visible belly!

    ThereÂ’s a reason that our fast bowlers canÂ’t stay consistently fast throughout a full test match and fitness/diet plays a big part.

    Think of it like this... if you fill a Rolls Royce with cheap supermarket fuel, itÂ’s not going to run efficiently. You need the best fuel for ye best performance and our player need strict diets and fitness regimens if they want to be the best in the world!
    You clearly haven't read his statement, or haven't understood the flaws of it.

    Here, he is using "Biryani" as a stimulative for the players, not as a diet habit. He is not suggesting that "high carbohydrate" diets are not good for pro sportsman, rather he is saying one shouldn't be supplied biryani by the club, if he is not performing........ his suggestion is - if you perform (score), you get boti, otherwise rice, which is equally harmful, and rice with meat gravy is worse than biryani; when point should be even if you score a triple - diet still should be non oily nun/chapati, lots of fresh vegetables/fruits, baked/grilled fish or lean meat, skimmed milk, honey and lots, lots of water.... and a strict curfew on sugar for 363 days (may be 2 eid days are exempted).

    Be very specific about the word - "get", not "eat" - even a performing players shouldn't get biryani from the club (and must not be allowed to buy of his own either) - his focus is not about which fuel is used for the Rolls Royce or from where, rather who'll supply the fuel and when (based on the performance of last race by the car).

    Most of your fast bowlers can't sustain a full Test match, the reason isn't diet only, rather for that they are born with 5 to 10 years of age and that's not been factored in selection process. This was the problem even when Imran was in charge and he learned it the bitterest way - losing a series decider at Leeds in 1982, when "31" years young man Ehteshamuddin huffed & puffed his way out of the Test after bowling 14 overs in 1st innings while his Captain, "officially" a year younger had to bowl 57 overs in 3 days, after batting for close to 7 hours ..... so, Imran made sure that, next time his pacers are debuted officially as "green", and retire in early 30s or even late 20s - take a pick, Wquar 17, Wasim 17, Aaquib 16, Ata 16, Mohsin Kamal 18, Zakir Khan 18, Tahir Naqqas 21, Salim Jafar 19, Azim Hafeez 19, Jallauddin 21, Maqsood Rana 18, Rashid Khan 20..... trust me, if he takes this matter in his own hand, within 3 months, he'll solve the fitness issues for PAK fast bowlers - even after daily double plate mutton biryani.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Well, I am extremely flattered and humbled by your gracious words, but I have been wrong more times than I have been right. Nonetheless, people like Wasim, Shoaib and even Dr. Nauman Diaz hold distinguished positions and their opinions and views have influence.

    They should refrain from using terms like fluke etc. because it can do no good for the morale of the team. How would the players feel when a legend like Wasim is dismissive of their Champions Trophy triumph and has labeled it a fluke? This is the time for our former players to show faith in the players and back them to go all the way.
    Mamoon you are spot on, they should encourage Pakistan team.
    Dr. Nauman Niaz never encourages Pakistan team and he always sets in the studio of Pakistan National Sports Channel.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    7,913
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaankeJi View Post
    That time was different. Fitness wasn't such a big deal. Now all teams are paying attention to it.
    Despite what you say Wasim was still the best lefty pace bowler off all time. He was hardly the fittest always struggling with a back problem so should not be lecturing others.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    25,923
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Why are people always slandering biryani? Bityani doesn't make you unfit. Any unbalanced diet is unhealthy. Biryani is just more carb heavy than some food. So eat judiciously!
    My issue with biriyaani is I always, always end up eating more than intended, Therefore I have told my wife, biriyaani only once a month.


    Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

  45. #45
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    101,324
    Mentioned
    1824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    I've added the proper quotes in the OP. Makes a bit more sense now.

    What he's referring to is FC cricketers being fed biryani during domestic cricket games.

    Most of the cricketers who aren't young or around the Pakistan team set-up have poor fitness levels.
    Please see this before adding your views


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  46. #46
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    4,549
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by as-95 View Post
    Wasim Akram is absolutely correct. I think the greatest ODI bowler of all time knows a thing or two about making sure his body is in peak condition!

    Whilst sports science, fitness and nutrition has advanced significantly in the last decade, a lot of our players are still out of shape. Having Inzimam as chief selector doesn’t help in this regard either! Neither does having a captain with a visible belly!

    There’s a reason that our fast bowlers can’t stay consistently fast throughout a full test match and fitness/diet plays a big part.

    Think of it like this... if you fill a Rolls Royce with cheap supermarket fuel, it’s not going to run efficiently. You need the best fuel for ye best performance and our player need strict diets and fitness regimens if they want to be the best in the world!
    When it comes to fitness he's right. He was also unbelievably fit. Wasim Akram on batting is just random opinions.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    101,324
    Mentioned
    1824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Legendary Pakistan pacer Wasim Akram sees a future captain in left-arm pacer Mohammad Amir.

    While speaking to media at the Lahore Polo Ground, Akram said that Amir is still one of the best fast-bowlers in the world.

    “Although he has not performed well in the previous few matches but Amir is still one of the best bowlers in the world,” said Akram. “I also see him as future captain of Pakistan team.”

    Speaking about the similarity in the formats of World Cup 1992, which Pakistan won under the captaincy of Imran Khan, and 2019, Akram said: “The format of the upcoming World Cup is similar to what it was back in 1992, which will give every team an opportunity to play against each other.”

    The former Pakistan captain also backed Men in Green to do well during the World Cup, despite a poor showing during the recently concluded ODI series against Australia.

    “Despite Pakistan not performing well in the ODI series against Australia, but once the main players return, the national side will have a very good chance to win the mega event,” he said.

    The 52-year-old also spoke about the imminent changes to Pakistan’s domestic structure — which will restrict role of departments in country’s cricket.

    “Departments have played a major role in the betterment of Pakistan cricket but there is no harm in testing a new system,” he said. “The Prime Minister has always believed in grade style cricket, similar to Australia, since his playing days.”

    Akram was also unimpressed with the quality of cricketers in the HBL Pakistan Super League (PSL), over the course of its first four editions.

    “I have not seen quality cricketers coming through PSL,” he said. “Even if they do, they are usually bowlers but I have hardly seen a good batsman in the tournament.”

    https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/ne...in-of-pakistan


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  48. #48
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    3,538
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post
    My issue with biriyaani is I always, always end up eating more than intended, Therefore I have told my wife, biriyaani only once a month.
    I always blame my overeating on the people who dine with me for not stopping me. That way I don't ever feel any responsibly to watch what amount I eat.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    487
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had Hyderabadi Biryani for lunch and I strongly condemn Wasim on this. Quoting Creed from the Office, "If they can't eat Biryani then what's this all been about? What are they working toward?"

  50. #50
    Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    487
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    I always blame my overeating on the people who dine with me for not stopping me. That way I don't ever feel any responsibly to watch what amount I eat.
    Why on earth would you want people stopping you while you devour Birayani? Are you for real? A good Biryani is the closest you get to Nirvana.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    13,719
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Diet is so important for an athlete. If, as stated by Wasim, the players aren't getting the right food and can't get anything else then you have to blame the people in charge.

    But you can also blame some players too because if they don't have the will to intervene themselves then you can't blame others.

    This seems more a case of easy access for those making food and those eating the said food.


    "When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

  52. #52
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    794
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I wonder how many times the word “fluke” has been used in the context of Pakistan cricket since the Champions Trophy.
    Why do you wonder? Just count the times you've used it and it'll be around there somewhere

  53. #53
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    24,598
    Mentioned
    1895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    4 white staffs are the worst thing for a pro sportsman - sugar, rice, salt & animal fat. Unfortunately, Biryani has 3 of those in abundance ... you add a sweet desert with it, full cycle. Also, for some reason, South Asian people are the most unfit, out of shape people in earth with a nice tummy hanging around by the age of even 25; probably for genetics, because I have seen Chinese/Vietnamese/Nepali people and their main dish is lots, lots of rice ... but no tummy, neither double chin!!!

  54. #54
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    30,015
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Why are people always slandering biryani? Bityani doesn't make you unfit. Any unbalanced diet is unhealthy. Biryani is just more carb heavy than some food. So eat judiciously!
    Exactly. Biryani is amazing and I would hate to see anyone deprived of it, including our cricketers. Eat it but burn it off too.


    لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

  55. #55
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    10,995
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasim Akram on his long term crusade against biryani... i wonder when will he stop ranting about biryani? You can have it as long as you are maintaining you're caloric intake.. this is not the 90s. If they have a proper dietician they can keep track of whatever they are eating.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    10,995
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Legendary Pakistan pacer Wasim Akram sees a future captain in left-arm pacer Mohammad Amir.

    While speaking to media at the Lahore Polo Ground, Akram said that Amir is still one of the best fast-bowlers in the world.

    “Although he has not performed well in the previous few matches but Amir is still one of the best bowlers in the world,” said Akram. “I also see him as future captain of Pakistan team.”

    Speaking about the similarity in the formats of World Cup 1992, which Pakistan won under the captaincy of Imran Khan, and 2019, Akram said: “The format of the upcoming World Cup is similar to what it was back in 1992, which will give every team an opportunity to play against each other.”

    The former Pakistan captain also backed Men in Green to do well during the World Cup, despite a poor showing during the recently concluded ODI series against Australia.

    “Despite Pakistan not performing well in the ODI series against Australia, but once the main players return, the national side will have a very good chance to win the mega event,” he said.

    The 52-year-old also spoke about the imminent changes to Pakistan’s domestic structure — which will restrict role of departments in country’s cricket.

    “Departments have played a major role in the betterment of Pakistan cricket but there is no harm in testing a new system,” he said. “The Prime Minister has always believed in grade style cricket, similar to Australia, since his playing days.”

    Akram was also unimpressed with the quality of cricketers in the HBL Pakistan Super League (PSL), over the course of its first four editions.

    “I have not seen quality cricketers coming through PSL,” he said. “Even if they do, they are usually bowlers but I have hardly seen a good batsman in the tournament.”

    https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/ne...in-of-pakistan
    Wasim Akram is the Shane Warne of Pakistani commentary. He just gives these blanket one liners without any insight on why he believes so.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    2,157
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    I've added the proper quotes in the OP. Makes a bit more sense now.

    What he's referring to is FC cricketers being fed biryani during domestic cricket games.

    Most of the cricketers who aren't young or around the Pakistan team set-up have poor fitness levels.
    I don't know about their fitness issues at the domestic level but biryani would not be the sole cause of that.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Oct 2007
    Runs
    463
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Why are people always slandering biryani? Bityani doesn't make you unfit. Any unbalanced diet is unhealthy. Biryani is just more carb heavy than some food. So eat judiciously!
    love you my friend.. you made my day.. Biryani Zinadabad

  59. #59
    Debut
    Oct 2007
    Runs
    463
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wants fit players to represent Pakistan,, picks as chief selector...

  60. #60
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    9,891
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Biryani is just an excuse. Compared to PSL and the national team, the fitness standards aren't the same in domestic cricket. If they were to implement fitness tests requirement for domestic selection tomorrow, everyone would start to get in shape.


    A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    71,279
    Mentioned
    1552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    26 Thread(s)
    It's not just about biryani, but it's crystal clear that the likes of Yasir Shah are nowhere near as fit as they should be. Would they be picked by Australia or England given the shape they are in? No chance.



  62. #62
    Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    6,892
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was living alone overseas, learning how to make biryani was my downfall. Before that I was fit.

  63. #63
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,229
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who is that one person who destroyed Pakistan's domestic cricket Wasim is hinting at?

  64. #64
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    30,808
    Mentioned
    1030 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Who is that one person who destroyed Pakistan's domestic cricket Wasim is hinting at?
    I don't think Wasim Akram is a fan of Shakeel Shaikh.

  65. #65
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nam View Post
    Wants fit players to represent Pakistan,, picks as chief selector...
    Well said.😂

  66. #66
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    6,016
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Despite what you say Wasim was still the best lefty pace bowler off all time. He was hardly the fittest always struggling with a back problem so should not be lecturing others.
    That's an injury issue, not a fitness issue. Gareth Bale is one of the best football players but has had many injury problems, same with Shane Bond in cricket, doesn't mean they were unfit.


    Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

  67. #67
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    6,016
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Exactly. Biryani is amazing and I would hate to see anyone deprived of it, including our cricketers. Eat it but burn it off too.
    It's not that easy. It doesn't take much work to consume 600-700 calories of biryani, but it takes a long time to burn that off. Add to that, it's not only about calories in and calories out, the quality of food also matters, biryani is mostly rice, which is not that beneficial for a sportsman. Having biryani 4 days in a row is not okay, these are professional cricketers, if they want to enjoy biryani everyday, maybe they shouldn't have started playing sports professionally.


    Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

  68. #68
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    598
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjahmed23 View Post
    Most Pakistani cricketers don't look like professional athletes. The cause of that is very clear, if you are a "professional" it is your job to be in the best shape possible, but unfortunately our culture is way too laid back for these things to get any importance. It really wasn't until Kohli revealed his diet and fitness that lead to some of our players starting to looking after themselves, but then again I feel it was a half hearted effort.
    Actually most desi players don't look like atheletes. Majority of them have an avg joe body, with a tubby sticking out.

  69. #69
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    29,665
    Mentioned
    1348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    I don't think Wasim Akram is a fan of Shakeel Shaikh.
    He seemed to be referring to someone in charge of PCB...


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  70. #70
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    7,913
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    That's an injury issue, not a fitness issue. Gareth Bale is one of the best football players but has had many injury problems, same with Shane Bond in cricket, doesn't mean they were unfit.
    Wasim's problem was his unorthodox run up and delivery that gave him a back problem. He was fine at the start of his career with no such issues. Cricket is a different game to Football.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    1,157
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion66 View Post
    Why on earth would you want people stopping you while you devour Birayani? Are you for real? A good Biryani is the closest you get to Nirvana.
    True. Biryani is the best thing that has happened to mankind.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    1,012
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    I don't think Wasim Akram is a fan of Shakeel Shaikh.
    That seems to be the case.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,229
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    I don't think Wasim Akram is a fan of Shakeel Shaikh.
    I doubt anyone is. He should take that issue with IK. IK is pretty close to Wasim.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    32,070
    Mentioned
    601 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The players themselves have to take up responsbility of their own fitness. Nobody can force you to rice or bread.


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  75. #75
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    3,674
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will tell you something I have witnessed myself during the PSL. So the hotel where the players stay during the PSL is connected to a shopping mall which has all kinds of shops, a cinema and a food court. I have seen some of our very seasoned cricketers who have even played for Pakistan eating KFC during the tournament. Furthermore, at the hotel the players have a buffet spread where they can pick and choose whatever they want to eat. You can not expect someone sitting with them all the time to tell them what to eat. From Wasim's statements they seem to know Biryani isnt the right thing to eat so they themselves know what and what not to eat. Its easy to criticize the PCB all the time but the players themselves have a responsibility towards their bodies and if they really were focused they would ignore the biryani and eat something else.


    "Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

  76. #76
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    30,015
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    It's not that easy. It doesn't take much work to consume 600-700 calories of biryani, but it takes a long time to burn that off. Add to that, it's not only about calories in and calories out, the quality of food also matters, biryani is mostly rice, which is not that beneficial for a sportsman. Having biryani 4 days in a row is not okay, these are professional cricketers, if they want to enjoy biryani everyday, maybe they shouldn't have started playing sports professionally.
    I can't imagine anyone in the world has biryani four days in a row. Eating it once in a while won't make anyone fat.


    لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

  77. #77
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    29,665
    Mentioned
    1348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)



    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •