User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)

"Playing in Pakistan Cup would have been good practice for the World Cup squad" : Umar Gul

Umar Gul speaking to the press:

"It would have been better if players who have been selected for the World Cup provisional squad had played in the Pakistan Cup as this would have been good practice for them"

"Being a senior player, I think it would have been good preparation for the Pakistan squad for the tour of England and World Cup"

"My name is not in the 23 names announced but Alhamdolillah I am playing a full domestic season, I have good rythm and fitness is good also"
    Last edited by MenInG; 10th April 2019 at 00:24.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beast bowler back in the day, and instrumental in the 2011 WC success, just bottled it in the final. Too bad his time is long over he has no place in this team anymore and any team in the future.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1030 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hafizexpress View Post
    Beast bowler back in the day, and instrumental in the 2011 WC success, just bottled it in the final. Too bad his time is long over he has no place in this team anymore and any team in the future.
    Yeah was a big part of our early T20 team's success between 2009-2012. Could fire those yorkers in at will.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love players like Gul who don't make a big hue and cry when dropped from the team. Such players are a rarity in Pakistan cricket, especially among the pool who has played a good amount of games for the national side.

With Gul, there is no sense of entitlement and one can tell that he realizes he's been replaced by younger and better bowlers. He has just put his head down and played whatever cricket has come his way. What a guy!

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hats off to Gul. Seem a level headed guy.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What success are you referring to exactly? Reaching a semi final?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reason why they aint playing is because they are all mediocre and would all do half well and wed question it further.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You never had a chance lad to be in the WC side. Your international days are surely over now. World class on his day but that injury some years back ended his career at the highest level.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately his good work will remain tainted by that horrendous show in Mohali when he got taken to the cleaners by Sehwag.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    One of the most exemplary professionals who never played the seniority card to get his way. He has never whined in the media and criticized the selectors and management for discarding him.

He was never much of a Test bowler in spite of making an instant impression against India in Lahore in 2004, but he had a tremendous peak in Limited Overs. In fact, his absence was the biggest reason why we failed to defend the WT20 title in 2010.

Unfortunately, he was never the same after his injuries in 2011-2012.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM1989 View Post
    Unfortunately his good work will remain tainted by that horrendous show in Mohali when he got taken to the cleaners by Sehwag.
    Was a key in Wt20 07 run to the final and the victory in 09. Cant take that away from him. His pinpoint yorkers in the penultimate over of the semi final against SA is an often forgotten work of brilliance.
    In addition, his 5-6 was the impetus behind our victory against NZ in a must win game that drove the team in the correct direction. Afridi was definitely the man of the tournament for Pak, but it was Gul's relentless attitude that propelled the team.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    One of the most exemplary professionals who never played the seniority card to get his way. He has never whined in the media and criticized the selectors and management for discarding him.

He was never much of a Test bowler in spite of making an instant impression against India in Lahore in 2004, but he had a tremendous peak in Limited Overs. In fact, his absence was the biggest reason why we failed to defend the WT20 title in 2010.

Unfortunately, he was never the same after his injuries in 2011-2012.
    Basically this. His days are gone now.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed88 View Post
    What success are you referring to exactly? Reaching a semi final?
    By success in that wc I meant how Pak played good overall and yes a semi-final was not a bad feat, considering they lost against the best team of the tournament... and besides that he also contributed to the 2009 t20 wc win.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    26 Thread(s)
    I think the likes of Mohammad Amir should have been made to play at least a couple of matches in the Pakistan Cup. He's been struggling and he needed to show that he can still cut it and prove his fitness too.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By success in that wc I meant how Pak played good overall and yes a semi-final was not a bad feat, considering they lost against the best team of the tournament... and besides that he also contributed to the 2009 t20 wc win.
    No doubt about his feats in the t20 world cup 2009. Which were more than Afridi but he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed88 View Post
    No doubt about his feats in the t20 world cup 2009. Which were more than Afridi but he doesn't get the credit he deserves.
    In sports any good final performances outshine the others. Afridi had match winning performances in the semi final and final to win the tournament and outperformed Gul on both occasions. Hence I understand why Afridi is hailed as the hero of that tournament; he technically did win us those.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I think the likes of Mohammad Amir should have been made to play at least a couple of matches in the Pakistan Cup. He's been struggling and he needed to show that he can still cut it and prove his fitness too.
    Exactly. At least he could justify his selection if he bowled well in Pakistan Cup

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In sports any good final performances outshine the others. Afridi had match winning performances in the semi final and final to win the tournament and outperformed Gul on both occasions. Hence I understand why Afridi is hailed as the hero of that tournament; he technically did win us those.
    I don't exactly see how his performance in the world cup final was deemed match winning. Since he chased a paltry 139, a final that was set up by the bowlers Razzaq in particular and Amir who got Dilshan.

He made hay at the right time, his semi final performance was really good, a 50 and a couple of wickets. But in context if Gul hadn't bowled those 5 yorkers off 5 balls to Jacques Kallis the game would've been won by SA.

This on top of Umar Gul being the most consistent bowler of the tournament who had been performing from the start even when the team was not doing so well.
    Last edited by waleed88; 12th April 2019 at 07:02.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One of my all time favorite cricketers, absolutely deadly with the ball and world-class at his peak.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmadharis1 View Post
    One of my all time favorite cricketers, absolutely deadly with the ball and world-class at his peak.
    Same for me! When he was off form he would get whacked all around but on form oh my them yorkers are something special.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter