Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The No. 4 and No. 5 Position in ODI Cricket

After observing the Pakistan Squad recommended by Wasim Akram, Rameez Raja, Rashid Latif, Bazid Khan, and Mohammad Wasim I can't help but think that former players do not understand the profile of a No. 4 and No.5 Batsman in One Day Cricket. Despite facts to the contrary, these individuals apart from maybe Mohammad Wasim believe that Mohammad Hafeez should be a guarantee at the No. 4 Position. Mohammad Hafeez at this stage in his career is nothing more than a Bits and Pieces All Rounder. In the best case scenario he's a No. 6 Batsman.

Why is Mohammad Hafeez such an obvious selection at No. 4? Lets remember, this is a position once held by Javed Miandad, Inzamam ul Haq, Mohammad Yousuf, and Misbah ul Haq.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because there is no Miandad, Inzamam or Yousuf currently in the Pakistani team. The best player we have for that 4 position is Haris and Rizwan. Hafeez should strictly be used as a number 6 batsman who contributes with the ball.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many options that could have been developed for that No. 4 and No. 5 positions than those two.

More importantly I raise this problem because we are not profiling positions in the team correctly. There is a certain profile required for each position in a batting, bowling, and fielding lineup. That's approximately 30 Positions that require significant analysis.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It also depends on how many overs are left when the 4 and 5 batsmen come in.

Hafeez did extremely well in winning us a match versus South Africa at 4.

But with Haris, I think Hafeez should be at 5/6 along with Sarfraz

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Its lack of options .

Pakistani management do not have skills to develop new players for different positions.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think its a lack of options. Mohammad Hafeez is a bits and pieces cricketer masquerading as a True All Rounder and a Middle Order Batsman. To be clear it isn't his fault. He's being asked to do something that quite frankly he is incapable of doing.

The fact that the Selection Committee hasn't selected and subsequently developed players for these two positions is criminal. Why? Because after Babar Azam at 3 there are essentially no genuine batsman in the rest of the lineup. Hafeez is a Bits and Pieces Cricketer. Malik is not a leading middle order batsman on a good team. Sarfraz doesn't view himself as a leading batsman(HIS WORDS). The rest are either batting or bowling all rounders. It is seemingly impossible to put up consistent scores with a lineup devoid of batsman.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well why not pick someone at no.4 who has recently scored 2 centuries against a decent Aussie attack?

I guess common sense is not really common.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    Well why not pick someone at no.4 who has recently scored 2 centuries against a decent Aussie attack?

I guess common sense is not really common.
    He doesn't fit their narrative of being a player who's been ridiculed and not been allowed to play I.e. Abid ali.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harris Sohail deserves the opportunity to make that position his own. He's a lot more steady than Hafeez. But who is after Haris? Next Guy? Next Guy After That?

It should be easy to make a pipeline of talent with so many meaningless international matches.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Haris should bat at #4 if Mickey doesn't want to demote Babar. Hafeez is a good fit at #5 where his experience and ability to up the ante will be quite useful.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haris is not good enough for number 4, he takes his time which u can't do , as Babar has that role.
    The number 4 and 5 need to be able to go run a ball from the get go and am important part of that is using a sweep against the spinners, a shot haris doesn't really have.
    Haris running between the wickets also leaves a lot to be desired, at least Malik/hafeez can hit spinners for 6 at will, and sarfaraz even can remain busy with his sweeps , nurdles at this position
    Last edited by Abdullah; 18th April 2019 at 04:08.

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 and 5 need to be comfortable against both pace and spin and unfortunately our batsmen are one dimensional, haris babar both struggle against spin while Malik and Hafeez(to a lesser extent) struggle against pace...

Out of the options we have I think Sarfraz is best suited but he doesn’t seem keen and looks to have stopped working on his batting.