Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"I always played for my team, not for myself" : Shoaib Malik

LAHORE: While completely dismissing criticism over his poor form ahead of the all-important World Cup, veteran Pakistan all-rounder Shoaib Malik on Saturday said there were no out-and-out favourites for the mega event being staged in England and Wales.

“All teams at the World Cup are strong and there will be no fluke and no team is favourite. Everyone has to struggle and under English conditions rainy weather may create problems for any team on a given day,” veteran all-rounder Shoaib Malik, whose selection in the World Cup squad has raised many questions mainly due to his poor performance of late with bat and ball, said while talking to reporters during a mixed zone interaction here on Saturday.

The Malik, who holds a modest overall batting average of 35.12 in 282 One-day Internationals and has had a average batting record during the last year or so (21 matches, 506 runs, average 33.73), did not look happy with both media and former cricketers, for criticising him on what the player himself termed “non-technical reasons”.

“I hope the critics will not carry out postpartum of the players’ [performances] during the World Cup on non-technical reasons. I have no complaint against anchors but against [some] former cricketers, who just focus on dropping or bringing a player on the basis of [their] liking and disliking,”said Malik, who as off-spinner has lost his utility of late as he bowled only one over in his last 11 ODI appearances since November 2018.

He continued, “I don’t follow Pakistani media, so what it says about me I don’t care. The big thing is that it is my last World Cup and I am in the team and I will try my best to give my best for the team as I always played for my team, not for myself.”

When asked his batting strike-rate was on the lower side, Malik had no relevant response.

“On one hand, people consider me the team’s senior most player while on the other they also let me down but it makes no difference to me. I don’t like to say but we are living in a society where negativity has its role, based on liking and disliking,” the 37-year-old said without elaborating.

“In 99 per cent matches of my career I lost my wicket while trying to hit big shots and when I staged a comeback in 2015 my strike rate was 100-plus which matched that of the most aggressive players like A.B. de Villiers and David Warner,” Malik continued.

“I am also hearing that I am fond of captaincy and Sarfraz Ahmed may not be available [for captaincy]. These are just conspiracy theories. Sarfraz is our skipper and he will remain so and under his command we will win the [World] Cup,” he maintained.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1477501/em...e-at-world-cup

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why do our players always say this lol? Most players who play for the team don't even need to say it. Also playing for the team should be a given.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Why do our players always say this lol? Most players who play for the team don't even need to say it. Also playing for the team should be a given.
    He said this as a response to possibly playing at 6 in the World Cup as Sarfraz mentioned he will be batting at 5 and Hafeez at 4

Malik just said he doesn't mind batting at any slot as he has never played for his personal records

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he played for the team he would have retired a long time ago.

Also, he's very touchy for someone who has been getting away with poor performances for a LONG time. Glad to see media is starting to pay attention to his poor form.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Uh bro postpartum is not the word you are looking for

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    Uh bro postpartum is not the word you are looking for
    Probably the author of the article is to blame...

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Completely agree to Malik. He may be a poor batsman but with his limited ability he has always played for the team. If I am not mistaken, he has batted at almost all positions. He even had a good run at #3 when much superior batsmen like Inzamam and Yousuf chickened out.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has played for the team in the sense that whenever he walks out to bat he tries to do what's best for the team rather than worrying about his personal record. But some could argue that he's talking the spot of a youngster.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Quetta, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He do best for the team like he don't waste many balls and get out early in the innings and don't make runs for himself. so any other batsman can come out and make runs for the team at good strike rate.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice joke, next please!

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakSarZameen View Post
    He said this as a response to possibly playing at 6 in the World Cup as Sarfraz mentioned he will be batting at 5 and Hafeez at 4

Malik just said he doesn't mind batting at any slot as he has never played for his personal records
    I don't doubt Malik team ethic but don't like our players always having to say they play for the team.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Therein lies the difference between Malik and Hafeez, one plays for his country, for his loved ones and his team and the other kept many promising players away by hogging the #3 spot for many years and only recently swallowed his pride to play down at #5, and even then cries about being an opener.

People only remember Hafeez in the 2017 CT a final in England but forgot how badly he embarrassed the country and the team as opener in the 2013 Champions Trophy.

Whenever pressure has been on Hafeez to deliver in a big moment he has bottled it.

If Malik can’t save a match he will damn sure avenge it.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to acknowledge it, he plays for the team and never starts tuk tukking to post some runs against his name when teams needs quick runs. I have feeling he will do a good job in this WC.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He has lost his mojo. I agree he never goes for milestones though.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought he played to experiment...

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is not a selfish cricketer. But honestly, I feel like his game is not suited for batting in England. Plus Haris, who is arguably our second best batter will have to sit out because of one of the 2 seniors.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't get to milestones if you're a rank average player, unless its a personal milestone where you average 13 runs per innings in England.... So is he saying he gets out for around 13 runs or less per innings because it helps his side???

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    To a certain extent it's true - he might not be the top dog with his cricket, but Malik never used his position or links to earn more than his share. He had been quite successful at No. 3 under Woolmer, and he was in damn good form between 2015-2018, easily could have asked to be slotted at 3 and cash the substandard teams PAK have played in that period. Also, could have snatched the ball from Sarfraz for few overs in UAE to establish his multiple facet credentials, aka all-rounder - won't have done much worse than PAK spinners in Asia Cup or against AUS recently.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    such a poor player is backbone off our team

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1994 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Speaking after rejoining Pakistan side:

"I got a lot of confidence today as I had a long batting and bowling session"

"From the management's point of view, they are giving chances to all cricketers so that they can get used to conditions before the World Cup"

"These are the types of conditions which require time to get used to so credit goes to the PCB for thinking about having this series before such a big event"

"I have said this before and this is something which is missing from career (stats) that my performances in England are not [as good] as compared to the rest of the world"

"So having that in mind, I want to have good performances for myself and also which benefit the Pakistan team"

"England are undoubtedly the number one side and when you are playing in their home then they have a lot of things going in their favour but this is also an opportunity for us to play against a good bowling, batting and fielding side"

"And such type of preparations before going into a world event are necessary"

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Shoaib played for himself, but he did beg for an opportunity to come back, when he was not international caliber.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoaib Malik is changing the face of batting he's about to demonstrate the broom technique against fast bowling over the next few months.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the sake of Pakistan pls perform this time in England.

One last time, Shobby...

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    For the sake of Pakistan pls perform this time in England.

One last time, Shobby...
    I think he's played 26 or so matches and has only maintained an average of 13....

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    I think he's played 26 or so matches and has only maintained an average of 13....
    Will still do better than Faheem.

I have more faith in Shoaib than Faheem.

If Pakistan atleast wants to reach semi-finals, we need to have all the players firing.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    Will still do better than Faheem.

I have more faith in Shoaib than Faheem.

If Pakistan atleast wants to reach semi-finals, we need to have all the players firing.
    That's not really a tough challenge for Shoaib

That kind of says it all though on how awful of a batsman Shoaib is.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If he played for the team hed have retired by now

With an avge of 13 and his recent record its a disgrace he ll be playing ahead of someone more deserving

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another guy that would have been discarded in the domestic circuit of English county cricket by the age of 33. God knows how he is still playing international cricket

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont let this win distract u from the fact that Malik is still useless

Malik at 6 is criminal he cant hit against pace he has lost it against spin and after this win we will play this combination in every match. Our management will play this combo in every match of worldcup.
    Malik has no place in 11.
    We think go with this combo
    Every combo is better without malik
    Fakhar
    Imam
    Babar
    Haris
    Sarfraz
    Hafeez
    Asif

Or

Fakhar
    Imam
    Babar
    Sarfraz
    Hafeez
    Asif
    Imad

For Gods sake dont pick malik

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malik got an important wicket and its important to have an experienced batsman down the order. He is much more reliable then Imad.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst his form has been **** poor of late, hes hardly the sort of player to come in with 5 overs remaining.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Malik is a little hard done here, he is coming in at no.7, and he doesn't look happy.
    Rightfully so.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know he is useless but I think his experience is useful.

That’s why he should be in the team instead of Imad.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Malik provides a spinning option.

Drop Imam and have Babar open with Haris at 3.

Drop Asif and bring Imad at 7.... Malik plays at 6.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He gave away 10 runs in 3 overs and picked up Ben Stokes...
    Our batting line will crumble again soon enough and id much rather have him coming in at 5 than Imad..

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    3 overs 10 runs with Stokes wicket and England fell short of just 14 runs

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Malik bowled well... He came in to bat very late so cannot expect much with the bat from him. He brings in a lot of experience into the line up and can assist sarfraz in tense moments. Deserves to be in their for the time being.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    The 6ix
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m cool with the Buddha being useless as long he picks up a wicket in 3 overs in the middle overs and gives away only 10 runs

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He scored 8 off 8 balls and almost lost us the game.

This was an absolute road and there is no place for such knocks in slog overs in this day and age.

Malik needs to eat more spinach and bring his A game in batting if he wants to be in the eleven.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He looked great with the ball and actually better than Imad given he actually turns it.

Would like to see Sarfaraz give him more overs and hopefully keep him in the side given he strengthens the batting.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People need to understand he is batsmen that can bowl not a bowler that can bat
    Haris can do better job in compare to him in both batting and bowling haris will also strengthen the batting if 2 early wixkets fall we cant afford hafeez out there

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    Malik got an important wicket and its important to have an experienced batsman down the order. He is much more reliable then Imad.
    U dont need reliability in last 5 overs

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    He scored 8 off 8 balls and almost lost us the game.

This was an absolute road and there is no place for such knocks in slog overs in this day and age.

Malik needs to eat more spinach and bring his A game in batting if he wants to be in the eleven.
    What do u think will he be dropped?

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    Malik provides a spinning option.

Drop Imam and have Babar open with Haris at 3.

Drop Asif and bring Imad at 7.... Malik plays at 6.

Death over hitters
    Nz james nessham
    Ind hardik pandya
    Aus maxwell
    Eng buttler
    Sa miller
    Sl parera
    Bang mahmudallah
    Afg najeebullah
    Pak shoiab malik????????

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1994 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehndi155 View Post
    U dont need reliability in last 5 overs
    It will not be always 5 overs when he comes to bat, I would be more confident with Malik at 6/7 than Asif or Imad. His bowling and fielding is also better.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was surprised why Malik was given only 3 overs. He was bowling better than Hafeez .

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainul View Post
    I was surprised why Malik was given only 3 overs. He was bowling better than Hafeez .
    Hafeez got more overs. They were only needed to bowl 10 overs together.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehndi155 View Post
    Death over hitters
    Nz james nessham
    Ind hardik pandya
    Aus maxwell
    Eng buttler
    Sa miller
    Sl parera
    Bang mahmudallah
    Afg najeebullah
    Pak shoiab malik????????
    Neesham bowls
    Maxwell bowls
    Hardik bowls
    Butler wicketkeeps
    Miller is a proper hard hitting batsman
    Perera bowls
    Mahmdullah is a proper batsman
    Najeebullah bowls

We're the only country slotting in a hitter than ruins the balance.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1994 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Name:  50fc016e-f371-454b-855d-586f8f70bd82.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  30.6 KB

So far in the tournament.