User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Is the Shahid Afridi book an 'own goal' against Pakistan?

Make no mistake, I am all for a good chinwag and a giggle about the happenings in Pakistan cricket but given the comments about former and current cricketers, and the damage to Pakistan cricket's reputation, the question needs to be asked about the timing of the publication of this book.

Our team is about to take part in the most prestigious ICC tournament that exists where all energies and good wishes should be directed towards supporting our side.

Instead we have page after page of Afridi's book being dissected, our neighbors taking extra glee in some of the details about his age etc and his criticism of everyone including our PM Imran Khan.

I understand money is the motivator here but surely this could have been published after the World Cup?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Much of the glee is because people are just picking up little references. For example he has given credit to IK as well, he hasn't only criticised him.

Read the whole book to get a better picture (Yet to do that myself).

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Much of the glee is because people are just picking up little references. For example he has given credit to IK as well, he hasn't only criticised him.

Read the whole book to get a better picture (Yet to do that myself).
    I agree but those are not the headlines we are seeing - fact is that not many people will have time to read the whole book and will be fed by media's understanding (or lack thereof)

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the world of cricket every one knows how Afridi is in terms of mental state.

No one takes him serious, even more so since he is retired.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Make no mistake, I am all for a good chinwag and a giggle about the happenings in Pakistan cricket but given the comments about former and current cricketers, and the damage to Pakistan cricket's reputation, the question needs to be asked about the timing of the publication of this book.

Our team is about to take part in the most prestigious ICC tournament that exists where all energies and good wishes should be directed towards supporting our side.

Instead we have page after page of Afridi's book being dissected, our neighbors taking extra glee in some of the details about his age etc and his criticism of everyone including our PM Imran Khan.

I understand money is the motivator here but surely this could have been published after the World Cup?
    Pakistan's U-19 and other Age Barred sides will be looked at with suspicion. Since there is no established School level Cricket in Pakistan. Young Pakistani talent can suffer. If all other countries start Questioning Pakistan's junior sides.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To sell his book, people like him will do anything. Unfortunately he is not the first one to make money at the cost of country's reputation.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Tbh I am a bigger fan of the complete, total truth and not in favour of brushing things under the carpet

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Makes kind of sense to release it now just with the world up around the corner.

On that note: where can I order it with international delivery?

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pakistan cricket has had too much intrigue and backbiting, good to see stuff coming out in the open

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adijazz1706 View Post
    Pakistan cricket has had too much intrigue and backbiting, good to see stuff coming out in the open
    But before the World Cup? Was this necessary?

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks to the good work of people like Misbah, Mickey etc. Pak team personnel and culture have all changed significantly in last 5-6 yrs.

IMO, it should make no difference to team setup any longer. Afridi is long gone and so are the negative factions and coteries in Pak team.

Let Afridi make some money off book and let media have their 15 mins fun with it. Wish him all the best with it.

Team can focus on bigger and better goals.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's been so long, should have just stayed quiet about his age (everyone knew), not sure why he mentioned that. Anyway, he'll always be youngsta beauty to us.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Book launch ceremony in Karachi

Pics from Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People calling him stupid for releasing his age, or whatever else, but we all know his stock price doesn't decrease, he will still be picked for almost every international T20 league, still be first choice for most of the commercial and still will continue with his charity work.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than Pakistan, it is self goal against himself.
    He wasn't too bright- that was known already( ball biting, trying to spoil pitch in full view of camera etc) but the level that has come out via his book- it's deplorable.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Last edited by MenInG; 4th May 2019 at 21:52.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Ok some good words for Imran Khan:

"Imran Khan represents hope for all of us and we all want that all the people around him are also the same type of persons as Imran Khan himself is"

"Imran Khan himself played for a department and the departments have been supporting players so it will be important to see what the Plan B is in regards to removing departments"

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    There's nothing wrong with publishing the book. I assume it was released before the World Cup for maximum impact but none of the issues Afridi talks out affects any of the current team or management.

There was one dig at Shoaib Malik but even Malik would accept his shortcomings as a captain between 2007-09.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't see any issues with it. Yet again it's just the media stirring the pot.

Debut
    Mar 2003
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are absolutely right. This should all have been brushed under the carpet like it usually is so we can peacefully wait for it to happen all over again.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I read the book

He made some other revelations that were not highlighted by the media ie

- Mohd Yousaf was the ringleader behind the revolt against YK in 2009 and he was ably supported by Malik, Akmal brothers

- He minced no words about Umar Akmal, a soft player who did not have ability to deal with pressure and always looked for soft corners and never took ownership for his failures

I am personally disappointed with the book. He did not reveal as much as he could have and neither did he give a good analysis of the things needed to fix Pakistan Cricket

Shoaib Akhtar's controversially yours is better, he did not hold back in that book
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 5th May 2019 at 02:19.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Is the Shahid Afridi book an 'own goal' against Pakistan?
    Let's Leave the discussion aside about the morality of what has been said in the book because;

1. He is not the first one to do it and he is not going to be the last one. Many players have done it including some to English and Australian players.

2. I have already said in another thread that why these filthy rich players wash their dirty laundry in public in the name of autobiography. Apparently they don't need money but yet they do it.

Having said that, I think the use of the word "Pakistan" in the title of this thread is extremely inappropriate and misleading. Why.... because;

1. Afridi has not done anything to harm the Country because the cricket team is run, managed, and controlled by a FOR PROFIT organization called "PCB - Pakistan Cricket Board". So if anything, he has spoken against PCB and his fellow employees and colleagues - nothing more, nothing less.

2. Afridi's book is a collection of opinions and some events on the past.
    Opinions - (e.g. Waqar was a horrible coach) they hardly matter. Nobody has to agree with them.

Events in the past - (e.g. Miandad stop him from practicing) If Afridi is lying, does not matter because what he said, is not a crime. If it was, Miandad can easily took him to court. I doubt Miandad will do that. If Afridi is telling the truth, again it does not matter. because it only provide good gossip for gossip loving people. At the end of the day - Afridi is selling what a lot of cricketers in the past and of other countries have sold simply because readers love the gossips and garbage like this.

So the main point is .... that Afridi's book is not against Pakistan. There are 100s of 1000s of people who have done 1000s of things to hurt Pakistan and they are roaming free .... and sad part is they are loved and respected for one's own vested interest.

If Afridi's book was against Pakistan then in my opinion - these two situations are much more harmful to the country that Afridi's useless book;

a. "I think IPL is better than the World Cup" : AB de Villiers

This is much more harmful statement to the South African Cricket than anything else. He is putting down the team of the "countries" ahead of an 100% for profit league of Indians (BCCI). How many South Africans will will say that the statement is his 'own goal' against South Africa?

b. Selectors making totally unfair selection for "Pakistan" cricket team.
    Many selectors (including Inzimam) have done many unfair (biased, par-chi, ect) selections for Pakistan which have caused many series and tournament losses for Pakistan. Did anybody question they worked for their own goal against Pakistan? Never, I have to guess.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Pakistan are in England, about to start a series and World Cup also - did the spot-fixing controversy need to be brought up again NOW? Why not do after the World Cup?

I can tell you that the Tabloids are on high alert for anything on Pakistan - and in comes Afridi with this.
    Last edited by MenInG; 5th May 2019 at 15:12.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shahid afridi was the last person i expected to read any book , let alone write one.

Enjoy now.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's doing good charity work, the book helps in that.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Imran Farhat doesn't seem too pleased.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    He minced no words about Umar Akmal, a soft player who did not have ability to deal with pressure and always looked for soft corners and never took ownership for his failures
    Sounds like hes describing himself tbh

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Scot-la-la-land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1626 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity - as someone who hasn't yet read the book - does he criticize anyone in the current Pakistani cricket set up?

I've seen the following comments so far online:

• He wasnt a fan of Waqar as a coach. Thats Afridi's opinion and Waqar is no longer involved in the Pakistan set up.
    • He feels Miandad wasnt a fan of his. Thats Afridi's opinion and Miandad is no longer involved in the Pakistan set up.
    • His says Umar Akmal wasn't strong mentally. Thats Afridi's opinion and Umar is no longer involved in the Pakistan set up.
    • Did he say some good stuff and some not so good stuff about IK I believe...? IK is no longer involved in the Pakistan set up, however, does have a role in the day to running of the country
    • He speaks out against Mazhar Majeed and the whole ball tampering saga. Mazhar is no longer involved in the Pakistan set up (thank fully)
    • He seems to have rubbed Imran Farhat the wrong way - which frankly I love seeing. In my option Farhat was the most useless player to ever have the honor of wearing a Pakistan shirt, followed closely by Hasan Raza. Both players are shining examples of nepotism in Pak cricket.

The only other 2 headline worthy comments I've read about are his comments on Gambhir - which I think majority of Pak (and possibly even some fans in India) would agree with, and his age reveal which really is no surprise and has been a running joke for many many years #YoungstaBeauty

If our players, management, PCB officials or fans are so mentally fragile that this is all it takes to distract them from a World Cup - we have much bigger problems.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalhaSyed View Post
    Out of curiosity - as someone who hasn't yet read the book - does he criticize anyone in the current Pakistani cricket set up?

• He wasnt a fan of Waqar as a coach. Thats Afridi's opinion and Waqar is no longer involved in the Pakistan set up.
    • He feels Miandad wasnt a fan of his. Thats Afridi's opinion and Miandad is no longer involved in the Pakistan set up.
    • His says Umar Akmal wasn't strong mentally. Thats Afridi's opinion and Umar is no longer involved in the Pakistan set up.
    • Did he say some good stuff and some not so good stuff about IK I believe...? IK is no longer involved in the Pakistan set up, however, does have a role in the day to running of the country
    • He speaks out against Mazhar Majeed and the whole ball tampering saga. Mazhar is no longer involved in the Pakistan set up (thank fully)
    • He seems to have rubbed Imran Farhat the wrong way - which frankly I love seeing. In my option Farhat was the most useless player to ever have the honor of wearing a Pakistan shirt, followed closely by Hasan Raza. Both players are shining examples of nepotism in Pak cricket.

The only other 2 headline worthy comments I've read about are his comments on Gambhir - which I think majority of Pak (and possibly even some fans in India) would agree with, and his age reveal which really is no surprise and has been a running joke for many many years #YoungstaBeauty

If our players, management, PCB officials or fans are so mentally fragile that this is all it takes to distract them from a World Cup - we have much bigger problems.
    Excellent points/post!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

I dont think you understand my point.

We do not need bad press for Pakistan cricket. Waqar Younis is a well known personality, as is Miandad. Talking about them in that way may well be an expression of the truth but it does not paint Pakistan cricket in the right way; Also the whole regurgitation of the Spot-fixing affair which happened in England when our team is already in England is not the best thing for now.

I am fine with him writing what comes to mind, never mind the schoolboy errors in the book itself , but this could have been done after the World Cup?

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W63L35 View Post
    Let's Leave the discussion aside about the morality of what has been said in the book because;

1. He is not the first one to do it and he is not going to be the last one. Many players have done it including some to English and Australian players.

2. I have already said in another thread that why these filthy rich players wash their dirty laundry in public in the name of autobiography. Apparently they don't need money but yet they do it.

Having said that, I think the use of the word "Pakistan" in the title of this thread is extremely inappropriate and misleading. Why.... because;

1. Afridi has not done anything to harm the Country because the cricket team is run, managed, and controlled by a FOR PROFIT organization called "PCB - Pakistan Cricket Board". So if anything, he has spoken against PCB and his fellow employees and colleagues - nothing more, nothing less.

2. Afridi's book is a collection of opinions and some events on the past.
    Opinions - (e.g. Waqar was a horrible coach) they hardly matter. Nobody has to agree with them.

Events in the past - (e.g. Miandad stop him from practicing) If Afridi is lying, does not matter because what he said, is not a crime. If it was, Miandad can easily took him to court. I doubt Miandad will do that. If Afridi is telling the truth, again it does not matter. because it only provide good gossip for gossip loving people. At the end of the day - Afridi is selling what a lot of cricketers in the past and of other countries have sold simply because readers love the gossips and garbage like this.

So the main point is .... that Afridi's book is not against Pakistan. There are 100s of 1000s of people who have done 1000s of things to hurt Pakistan and they are roaming free .... and sad part is they are loved and respected for one's own vested interest.

If Afridi's book was against Pakistan then in my opinion - these two situations are much more harmful to the country that Afridi's useless book;

a. "I think IPL is better than the World Cup" : AB de Villiers

This is much more harmful statement to the South African Cricket than anything else. He is putting down the team of the "countries" ahead of an 100% for profit league of Indians (BCCI). How many South Africans will will say that the statement is his 'own goal' against South Africa?

b. Selectors making totally unfair selection for "Pakistan" cricket team.
    Many selectors (including Inzimam) have done many unfair (biased, par-chi, ect) selections for Pakistan which have caused many series and tournament losses for Pakistan. Did anybody question they worked for their own goal against Pakistan? Never, I have to guess.
    Excellent post.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [*]He seems to have rubbed Imran Farhat the wrong way - which frankly I love seeing. In my option Farhat was the most useless player to ever have the honor of wearing a Pakistan shirt, followed closely by Hasan Raza. Both players are shining examples of nepotism in Pak cricket.[/LIST]
    Sorry but you're wrong here. If he won you matches there is no way he was useless.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    Sorry but you're wrong here. If he won you matches there is no way he was useless.
    Afridi has won most Man of the Match awards among all Pakistanis - and yet some cricket fans called him useless and still do!

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W63L35 View Post
    Afridi has won most Man of the Match awards among all Pakistanis - and yet some cricket fans called him useless and still do!
    Well he played more games than he should have so higher chance of getting MOM.

He was highly inconsistent and if he won you 1 match he'd lose you 10.

On his day though he'd give you one helluva freakish mind blasting performance.

5/35 + 75 come to mind in 2011 vs SL
    7/12 + 70 odd runs in 2013 vs West Indies
    59 odd in 2014 vs Bangladesh
    65(25) in 2011 vs New Zealand
    70(50) in 2009 vs New Zealand
    109 in 2010 vs SL
    124(60) in 2010 vs Bangladesh
    80(58) in 2004 vs India
    102 in 2005 vs India
    6fer in 2009 vs Australia
    77 in 2007 vs Sri Lanka (32 off one over)

And I can go on and on.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well he played more games than he should have so higher chance of getting MOM.

He was highly inconsistent and if he won you 1 match he'd lose you 10.

On his day though he'd give you one helluva freakish mind blasting performance.

5/35 + 75 come to mind in 2011 vs SL
    7/12 + 70 odd runs in 2013 vs West Indies
    59 odd in 2014 vs Bangladesh
    65(25) in 2011 vs New Zealand
    70(50) in 2009 vs New Zealand
    109 in 2010 vs SL
    124(60) in 2010 vs Bangladesh
    80(58) in 2004 vs India
    102 in 2005 vs India
    6fer in 2009 vs Australia
    77 in 2007 vs Sri Lanka (32 off one over)

And I can go on and on.
    The standards in Pakistan are so low that we are using half centuries by players to justify their freakish status. These numbers are very common in then current t20 era. It is nothing beyondd mediocrity.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed88 View Post
    The standards in Pakistan are so low that we are using half centuries by players to justify their freakish status. These numbers are very common in then current t20 era. It is nothing beyondd mediocrity.
    For an average team like Pakistan those performances were more than good enough.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His whole career other than a few moments of brilliance was an own goal for Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Pakistan's self-professed "most dedicated fan of cricket" has petitioned the Sindh High Court against revelations made by former skipper Shahid Afridi in his controversial new book, Game Changer, on Monday.

The petitioner said he had been "aggrieved by the acts and omissions" of the Pakistan Cricket Board and International Cricket Council, which had touted Afridi's 1996 37-ball century as the fastest 100 made by the youngest centurion at the time.

In his book, Afridi wrote that he was "19, and not 16" when he smashed the century against Sri Lanka. "I was born in 1975," he said. It is a claim that has become a major source of debate over what his actual age was when he scored that century.

A source close to the former cricketer had claimed earlier that Afridi was right when he claimed that he was 19 at that time and said that the year of birth (1975) is a printing error. "It is definitely a miscalculation by the publisher... Shahid played his first One-Day International at the age of 19. He was born in 1977."

The petitioner said the alleged misrepresentation of Afridi's age had hurt, humiliated and defamed cricket. That, and other "illegal acts, omissions caused by the respondents is in violation of various articles of the Constitution, Pakistan Penal Code, Cyber Crime Law and the norms of human rights".

The petitioner argued that the publication of the book in print, electronic and social media was "unlawful and unwarranted and violation of articles of the Constitution"; that it damaged the reputations of Waqar Younis, Javed Miandad and Indian cricketer Gautam Gambhir ─ none whom Afridi shared a favourable opinion of ─ and cricket fans; and promoted hatred and mistrust among cricket control authorities, players and fans.

He also requested action on the grounds that the book had been published with the consent of Afridi and the book's author without any other lawful authority or justification "but for some ulterior motive and for unlawful gain", and that each citizen whose rights had been violated by the book retained the right to be treated in accordance with law, and the right to a fair trial.

The petitioner asked the court "to direct the respondents 1 and 2 (Afridi and author Wajahat Khan) for stoppage/not giving the permission or consent to the publishers for publication of the said disputed book".

He also asked the court to "direct the respondents 1 and 2 (Afridi and Khan) to remove the said illegal, unlawful, defamatory and derogatory remarks against the respondents 3, 4, 5 (Miandad, Younis and Gambhir) and all other national and international players".

The petitioner asked the court to direct Afridi to furnish proof of his year of birth and show cause for misstatement of the same, and to the National Database and Registration Authority to provide proof upon which the cricketer's passport and ID documents were issued.

The petitioner also asked the SHC to direct PCB and ICC to "show cause or evidence or proof" on the basis of which they had declared Afridi's age as 16 in 1996. The court was also requested to direct the PCB to show cause or evidence on the basis of which they sent Afridi to the Caribbean with an Under-19 team when he himself was 20 or 21 around the time.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1480643/mo...ridis-new-book

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Pakistan's self-professed "most dedicated fan of cricket" has petitioned the Sindh High Court against revelations made by former skipper Shahid Afridi in his controversial new book, Game Changer, on Monday.

The petitioner said he had been "aggrieved by the acts and omissions" of the Pakistan Cricket Board and International Cricket Council, which had touted Afridi's 1996 37-ball century as the fastest 100 made by the youngest centurion at the time.

In his book, Afridi wrote that he was "19, and not 16" when he smashed the century against Sri Lanka. "I was born in 1975," he said. It is a claim that has become a major source of debate over what his actual age was when he scored that century.

A source close to the former cricketer had claimed earlier that Afridi was right when he claimed that he was 19 at that time and said that the year of birth (1975) is a printing error. "It is definitely a miscalculation by the publisher... Shahid played his first One-Day International at the age of 19. He was born in 1977."

The petitioner said the alleged misrepresentation of Afridi's age had hurt, humiliated and defamed cricket. That, and other "illegal acts, omissions caused by the respondents is in violation of various articles of the Constitution, Pakistan Penal Code, Cyber Crime Law and the norms of human rights".

The petitioner argued that the publication of the book in print, electronic and social media was "unlawful and unwarranted and violation of articles of the Constitution"; that it damaged the reputations of Waqar Younis, Javed Miandad and Indian cricketer Gautam Gambhir ─ none whom Afridi shared a favourable opinion of ─ and cricket fans; and promoted hatred and mistrust among cricket control authorities, players and fans.

He also requested action on the grounds that the book had been published with the consent of Afridi and the book's author without any other lawful authority or justification "but for some ulterior motive and for unlawful gain", and that each citizen whose rights had been violated by the book retained the right to be treated in accordance with law, and the right to a fair trial.

The petitioner asked the court "to direct the respondents 1 and 2 (Afridi and author Wajahat Khan) for stoppage/not giving the permission or consent to the publishers for publication of the said disputed book".

He also asked the court to "direct the respondents 1 and 2 (Afridi and Khan) to remove the said illegal, unlawful, defamatory and derogatory remarks against the respondents 3, 4, 5 (Miandad, Younis and Gambhir) and all other national and international players".

The petitioner asked the court to direct Afridi to furnish proof of his year of birth and show cause for misstatement of the same, and to the National Database and Registration Authority to provide proof upon which the cricketer's passport and ID documents were issued.

The petitioner also asked the SHC to direct PCB and ICC to "show cause or evidence or proof" on the basis of which they had declared Afridi's age as 16 in 1996. The court was also requested to direct the PCB to show cause or evidence on the basis of which they sent Afridi to the Caribbean with an Under-19 team when he himself was 20 or 21 around the time.

Moot case, everyone knows Waqar is way older than his official age. Should we sue him too? Players being older than their official ages is no secret

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Moot case, everyone knows Waqar is way older than his official age. Should we sue him too? Players being older than their official ages is no secret
    Plus ... what's harm is getting your two minute's fame at Afridi's expense.
    Reham Khan and Aysha Gulalai type mentality?? Weren't both of them also hurt by Imran Khan ... and wanted their two minutes of attention and fame his expense!

This petitioner is exactly doing that!

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For an average team like Pakistan those performances were more than good enough.
    Don't belittle a team, just to make a mediocre player like Afridi a neccessity for us to look competitive.

Debut
    Mar 2003
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahahah clearly this petitioner is taking the mickey

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    953 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He’s an honest man, I trust him, truth sometimes hurts but it’s the truth.

Will be our second successful PM.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Scot-la-la-land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1626 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont think you understand my point.

We do not need bad press for Pakistan cricket. Waqar Younis is a well known personality, as is Miandad. Talking about them in that way may well be an expression of the truth but it does not paint Pakistan cricket in the right way; Also the whole regurgitation of the Spot-fixing affair which happened in England when our team is already in England is not the best thing for now.

I am fine with him writing what comes to mind, never mind the schoolboy errors in the book itself , but this could have been done after the World Cup?
    Bhai if you're issue is that a Pakistani is criticizing his fellow country men/team then we should start banning all Pak TV sport talk shows, Pakistani pundits and even this website because I have not seen anyone talk more crap about Pakistan than Pakistanis.

If you're issue is the timing of the comments then - as mentioned in my last post - If our players, management, PCB officials or fans are so mentally fragile that this is all it takes to distract them from a World Cup - we have much bigger problems.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Bhai if you're issue is that a Pakistani is criticizing his fellow country men/team then we should start banning all Pak TV sport talk shows, Pakistani pundits and even this website because I have not seen anyone talk more crap about Pakistan than Pakistanis.

If you're issue is the timing of the comments then - as mentioned in my last post - If our players, management, PCB officials or fans are so mentally fragile that this is all it takes to distract them from a World Cup - we have much bigger problems.
    Afridi we know is no ordinary pundit. Mashallah, he has been blessed with the starpower that gets peoples attention. Whilst Waqar and Javed are largely irrelevant to Pakistan cricket today, Mohammad Amir is still playing with the Pakistan side. We dont need to rake this up now.

But I will respectfully agree to disagree with you on this matter.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look who wrote the book, then you will understand why its full of so much drameyy. all for likes and money most of the "revelations" are already common knowledge.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I read the book, it is nothing in comparison to controversially yours. In fact personally i am dissapointed, it should have been more spicy and revealing.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Heís an honest man, I trust him, truth sometimes hurts but itís the truth.

Will be our second successful PM.
    ...until hell freezes over

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan was an average team only in the last few years of Afridi's career.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhasan View Post
    Pakistan was an average team only in the last few years of Afridi's career.
    They've always been an average team.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afridi is the king of own goal's if we analyse his career. This is to be expected from an overrated and cheating former player who tries to alter the condition of the pitch with his boots or openly bites the ball! Then some months back he was telling us how most of Pakistan is unsafe or something like that. The man has no class. he is a complete idiot who will say anything for publicity.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His book wonít last longer then most of his innings, game changer!! lol more like money maker

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afridi's views on women are insanely backwards. His book is bringing a lot of this to light.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Days after all-rounder Shahid Afridi’s book ‘Game Changer’ rocked the foundations of Pakistan’s cricket industry, former pacer Shoaib Akhtar has come in support of Afridi saying that whatever he has written is true.

Speaking during a show on a local sports channel, Akhtar said that he had also received harsh treatment from senior cricketers during his playing days. He said that Afridi has written too little of the harsh treatment of juniors by seniors and discrimination.

“I think Shahid Afridi has written less in his book about the harsh treatment he received from senior players during his playing days. I witnessed some of it with my own eyes and totally agree with him,” said Akhtar.

Akhtar said that during series against Australia, one senior was close to hitting him with a bat. He said that though many apologised for their mistreatment, the apology meant nothing when all was said and done.

“Later down the years, ten of these senior players asked us for forgiveness, before leaving for Umrah, for the way they treated us,” he said.

“I told them that there is little point in such an apology because they had taken undue advantage, when in a position of strength, but I had forgiven them earlier as well and does not mind doing it now as well.”

In his book, Afridi has accused Javed Miandad of prohibiting him from training with team members. Afridi said that he had to practice individually for the matches because Miandad would not allow him in.

“Miandad had developed a strong opinion against me…in fact, the day before I went to bat, Miandad didn’t even give me any net practice. So I had to practice on a stringed ball, alone, away from my teammates,” Afridi wrote in his book.

https://nayadaur.tv/2019/05/afridi-h...-game-changer/

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is where education comes into play.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    There's no such thing as bad publicity, or so the old adage goes. Going by this principle and some of the reactions to Shahid Afridi's autobiography titled Game Changer, it seems that the book is guaranteed to be a rip-roaring success as it gets released worldwide this week.

Affectionately known as Lala to his millions of adoring and loyal fans, Afridi has brought in the same flamboyant, no-nonsense and take no prisoners style to his life's story which made him, at times, the bane of many opposition sides during his career as a cricketer.

There will be disappointment for those who were expecting a calmer and circumspect Afridi to emerge from the pages of his autobiography as virtually every other page has some striking revelation or blunt reflection that is sure to astound many readers.

While in Afridi's own words, the book should not be seen as an expose but simply as an attempt to clarify some issues which had already been discussed, but one cannot but help wonder if there is more than what meets the eye and Game Changer is literally doing what the title suggests.

For far too long in Pakistani cricketing circles, theories and reports have existed about ill-will between players and other personalities but the players on their part have remained tight-lipped about such issues. Afridi's book has, in essence, changed the game by bringing out these 'facts' to the forefront, thereby opening doors for other players to open up about these issues in future.

'A disturbance in the force', is how Star Wars character Darth Vader would describe the seismic effect Afridi's book seems to be having and the jury is still out on the actual motives behind the publication of the tell-all book.

What can be said, though, with great clarity is that there are some big names of Pakistan cricket who are probably feeling rather uncomfortable after hearing or reading what the charismatic former all-rounder has written about them.

First in line is Waqar Younis. The bowling partner of the great Wasim Akram has come under fire from Afridi for his inability to captain the Pakistan side and also for his incompetence as head coach. While Waqar is yet to respond to what Afridi has penned about him, it's not hard to imagine the damage to his reputation done by such criticism coming from a senior player like Afridi. Younis's reign as Pakistan coach was known for being a troubled one, so Afridi's comments could open up a few old wounds, but the repercussions on his reputation could be something Waqar could have done without.

Next to feel the wrath of Afridi's pen is the street-fighter himself, Javed Miandad. To be regarded as one of Pakistan's greatest batsmen and then being unceremoniously labelled as a 'small man' for the faults in his character would have hurt. True to his reputation as a fighter, Miandad responded almost immediately to refute any allegations about him but the damage, in many eyes, was already done and that is evidenty by the 'I told you so' comments from the electronic and social media.

And it's just not the people who have been directly mentioned in the book who seem to be up in arms about what is written in the book. There also have been negative reactions from some other Pakistan players who probably have held a grudge against Afridi for a while. The autobiography has thus given them a chance to voice their dislike for Afridi and no better example of that can be found than the remarks of Imran Farhat who has accused Afridi of blackmailing the PCB among other things. It's fair to say that Afridi's charisma has limits and the autobiography does present a chance for many to air their grievances against 'Boom Boom'.

Younis and Miandad are part of Pakistani cricketing folklore and comments from Afridi about the two greats have not gone down well with everybody. But the mention of spot-fixing affair and its participants, some of whom are still involved with Pakistan cricket is rather more serious. Mohammad Amir is part of the Pakistan squad, currently on tour in England and is vying for a place in the final squad of 15 players for the World Cup 2019 and the last thing he would have wanted would be the return of the sordid saga.

While many would welcome the opportunity to learn more about the spot-fixing episode, quite a lot would want to move on as lessons have already been learned and actions have been taken to avoid a repeat. To his credit, Afridi has also attempted to demystify some of the elements surrounding his character but as always, the not so good bits have received more attention.

The confusion around his age is one that he tried to clarify in good faith but it seems that his attempt to right a wrong by stating what now appears to be an incorrect year of his birth has caused more confusion. In many ways the age issue seems in line with his maverick nature and something which his fans will forgive as a 'Lalaesque' part of his character.

It also appears that Afridi's book just hasn't affected the cricket personalities in his own country but also caused a furore on an international scale as well. The references to the former Indian cricketer-turned-politician Gautam Gambhir. The Indian cricketer who has never hidden his dislike for Afridi has responded in his own style, to which Afridi replied during his book launch ceremony in Karachi. It seems that the matter will not end here, and this is where Game Changer is expected to continue making news headlines for many more days to come.

Afridi's style of thinking is in line with his cricket, it revolves around speaking what's on the mind without caring about the reactions. The similarities between his batting style, where he would play in the way he saw fit regardless of advice given to him by coaches or teammates, and his writing is quite clear with the way he has approached some of the sensitive issues in his book. Despite all his failings and criticism of his actions, it is this Afridi that the crowds would throng to watch in stadiums and it's also the reason why Game Changer will become a rallying cry for his millions of fans, worldwide.

https://www.firstpost.com/firstcrick...s-6602211.html
    Last edited by MenInG; 9th May 2019 at 17:33.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Scot-la-la-land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1626 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gambhir & Farhat vs Person X

I am on Person X's team

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5947 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    It is a pretty awful book to be honest. One of the worst autobiographies I have had the misfortune of reading, and I am not done with it yet.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is a pretty awful book to be honest. One of the worst autobiographies I have had the misfortune of reading, and I am not done with it yet.
    Anything you'd like to share that hasn't been already?

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

One drama baazi takes the side of another.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An open letter to Afridi

I was never a fan of you, cricketer Afridi. I always think that you are the luckiest cricketer on Earth who has played so many international matches for Pakistan. Your career should not have been extended beyond 50 matches. Much more talented cricketers than you counldnt represent Pakistan. And now this book... Afridi what did you do man? Now it's time to do jikr Alhamdulillah Alhamdulillah for shukriya to Allah and also gratefulness to your nation, your elder cricketers who gave you the opportunity to play so many matches for which you were not qualified as a cricketer I honestly believe. Instead you have come up with this book in which you spoke ill of others. Shame Afridi shame. You should withdraw this book immediately ,say sorry. Otherwise people will remember this book ,it's ugliness

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5947 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Anything you'd like to share that hasn't been already?
    Nothing interesting so far apart from the stuff that has been shared already.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Have to agree, in a 20 year career especially playing for Pakistan with so many controversial characters, one would have expected Afridi to have revealed a lot more juicy content.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Shoib Malik write an autobiography also?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainul View Post
    Did Shoib Malik write an autobiography also?
    Akhtar, yes.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    In the field, our orders for India games were simple: go and destroy them, almost like a suicide bomber does (I know that doesn’t sound politically correct – at all – and nobody ever gave that direct order, so spare me and forgive me, but you know what I mean by that analogy!). Let nothing remain unresolved, untried or undecided.
    Don't think this part was particularly well thought out by Afridi and Wajahat.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, you think it's an awful book, one of the worst autobiographies you've had the misfortune of reading, but you will continue reading till the end?

Okkkaaayyyy.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5947 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    Wait, you think it's an awful book, one of the worst autobiographies you've had the misfortune of reading, but you will continue reading till the end?

Okkkaaayyyy.
    When I start reading a book, I have to finish it.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So much errors in the book. If Afridi didnít want to read it over, he could have got someone else. It just looks like a complete mess now.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It encapsulates afridi completely. Striving for perfection.