Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari's hands are tied, like a puppet's" : Shahid Afridi

Thought I'd extract Afridi's political views from his book (Game Changer). Here are some excerpts from the chapter:

I once had a face-off with Ijaz Butt, an interestingly flawed former chairman of the PCB. I remember: the vultures were circling. I was close to being chucked out of the national cricket team again. And guess who popped up to offer help: Bilawal Bhutto Zardari.

The offer was interesting. In return for resolving the conflict with Butt, Bilawal's people said that I must accompany the young politician on rallies. Needless to say, I didn't take Bilawal's help. Let sleeping dogs lie on that story about the negotiations. But, on the political front, I think Bilawal has a long way to go. Unfortunately, the Pakistan Peoples Party perished with his mother, Benazir Bhutto sahiba. His father couldn't hack it. That's the honest truth as I see it.

When I met him in London, Bilawal was making a political pitch, asking me to join forces with him, even campaign with him. Personally, I met him only because I wanted to meet Benazir's son, hoping he would walk on the same path his late mother did. But I soon realized who was calling the shots in the PPP. Bilawal Bhutto Zardari was just a front, I realized. His hands are tied like a puppet's. He may eventually be leader of the party, but for now, his father is in charge. That still seems to be the case somewhat.

------------------------------------

Mian sahib too offered me a position in his party, the Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz) (PML[N]). He made the proposal rather indirectly, in his particular style, by asking me to put a lion's sticker on my bat. The lion, of course, is the symbol of his wing of the Pakistan Muslim League. I laughed it off. There's no space for politics — not on the field.

Then, of course, is that famous moment when, before he became prime minister, or was even close to it, Imran Khan offered me to join his cause openly, during his months-long 2014 protest in Islamabad.

Those were trying times for the country. Pakistan stood polarized. On the one hand, Nawaz Sharif's juggernaut had taken over Punjab, with a massive majority in the 2013 elections. Opposition leader Imran Khan had managed to win only one out of the four provinces, and wasn't doing too well. He claimed Nawaz had cheated. Nobody — not the courts, not the media, not the people — bothered to do anything about his complaints. So, he put a rag- tag coalition together and decided to march upon Islamabad. The momentum and number of supporters he required to paralyse the capital, he never got. So, he started talking to the media and pulling these interesting political stunts. Every night, for three months, as he stayed parked outside Parliament on a container, he would make some controversial speech or the other or pull a stunt. And then, one monsoon night, as he stood there with millions watching, he invited me to join him. The issue was so loaded and the country so politicized that all of a sudden, I started getting calls — from news channels, from politicians, from family members — advising me to go or not to go. The fate of the country hung in the balance with Khan's anti-Nawaz sit-in.

I decided to opt out. No doubt, Imran bhai is quite the leader. But there are a lot of people in his Pakistan Tehreek-e-lnsaf whom he doesn't need. His dependence on these people scared me off from joining him. See, he's the Khan. He doesn't need anyone, especially not turncoats. He needs fresh blood. He needs the youth. But a lot of people are misusing his name for their own benefit. Now that he's PM, I'm hoping his party's internal accountability has improved.

As for Mian Nawaz Sharif sahib, I'm not going to get into the Panama Leaks or the other investigations that were underway against him by the time this book went to print. But there is no doubt — and my opinion here may raise quite a few eyebrows — that Mian sahib knows how to deliver.

Look at Karachi, Peshawar and Quetta, the capitals of the three provinces he's never governed. They are suffering. Look at Lahore, the province of Punjab which he governed. It's not. That's my argument.

As for the mighty Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, which is Imran Khan's territory, his party's done well there but still has a long way to go. He should follow the simple political principle of what is seen, is then sold. I want delivery for all provinces. Imran bhai hasn't gotten there yet.

Back to General Raheel Sharif: meeting him was like meeting a family elder. He wanted to know about the state of Pakistan cricket...

Another army chief who showed the same concern for the game was General Pervez Musharraf...

Unfortunately, when I met another so-called leader, I didn't get the same response. It was after one of our championship victories, when we were invited to Islamabad to meet President Asif Ali Zardari. Zardari sahib just showed up, brusquely shook our hands, smiled for the photo-op and left. He wasn't interested in our victory, in the game of cricket or in improving sports for Pakistanis. He was just counting the seconds for the photographers to do their job and leave. I was really disappointed. In fact, I remember feeling a bit angry too. Sure, Zardari is a heck of a politician. His temperament is amazing. He survived five years in office and almost a decade in jail, a time when most people and institutions wanted his head on a stick. In a place like Pakistan, a full term in office is no small feat. Zardari is a survivor. But he isn't a cricket fan, nor is he a great leader. That's something I hold against him.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Afridi is just showing his lack of maturity and simple mindedness when he praises Nawaz Sharif for improving Lahore. Nawaz Sharif and his cronies rules Pakistan and especially Punjab for eons all he has to show is some motorways and bus routes in Lahore out of a province of 100 million people and a country of 200 million people

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Interesting views.

I think by heart he is all PMNL, but too embarrassed to say it.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    Interesting views.

Not surprising; he surely is renowned for his lack of intellect.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Not surprised by his revelations on Zardari, that guy has a fetish for always trying to find ways to make money. Have heard of many instances where politicians, businessmen who request a simple meeting with him to discuss serious issues have to pay him a very hefty amount for his time.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Interesting views.

I heard that he was very close to the MQM for the most part

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A majority of the educated middle class in Pakistan share these views. Normal.

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is a noora!!! Wow.. that does it for me.. what an idiot!

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beatification of Benazir in all strata of Pakistani society is sickening. This woman was just as corrupt, incompetent and myopic as any sindhi feudal no less dangerous than her husband or equally despicable father.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5947 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Typical PTI supporters mentality on display here. He praised Imran Khan and offered valid criticism, but the slightest of praise for Nawaz Sharif and they have all lined up against him and are ready to brand him as an ignorant and a Noora.

PTI supporters want a world where everyone shares the same views on PMLN and Nawaz as their Kaptaan who is of course above any criticism.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He would say , whatever sells. I have read autobiographies of other Pakistani cricketers but won't buy or read this one. Very low credibility whatever he says. Doesn't look like he is telling the truth, most of the time.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Typical PTI supporters mentality on display here. He praised Imran Khan and offered valid criticism, but the slightest of praise for Nawaz Sharif and they have all lined up against him and are ready to brand him as an ignorant and a Noora.

PTI supporters want a world where everyone shares the same views on PMLN and Nawaz as their Kaptaan who is of course above any criticism.
    Fact is every political parties supporters are like this doesn't matter it's PML-N, PPP or PTI.
    Last edited by Manager101; 5th May 2019 at 11:34.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How stupid can one be.

Lost for words.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting and slightly balanced views. Shouldn't get hate. Everyone has right to share his or her own views.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Interesting views.

Hes said good things about mqm in the past too

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Perhaps Afridi was in coma when 'Paris of the East' Lahore turned into Venice of the East during the last monsoon season.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Perhaps Afridi was in coma when 'Paris of the East' Lahore turned into Venice of the East during the last monsoon season.
    Many of the things he says , sound like said while in coma.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So Afridi is right every other person is wrong moral of the story

Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    If Hafeez can get two hundreds in a game anyone can.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    So what has the PTI achieved so far? Increased taxes and petrol prices by 40 percent? The country’s economy has taken such a hit it looks almost unrecoverable. Look at the dollar to rupee ratio.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    So what has the PTI achieved so far? Increased taxes and petrol prices by 40 percent? The country’s economy has taken such a hit it looks almost unrecoverable. Look at the dollar to rupee ratio.
    you need to dig lill bit deeper.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And he used Imran khan's photo at the launch of the book. Should get sued by the PM for it.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes Lahore has been developed well credit where it's due. But you cannot compare Lahore to Peshawar, Quetta or Karachi. These are 3 cities that have been hit hardly in the past by terrorism and crime much more than Lahore.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

None of us have criticised him what the hell are you on about? Do u even bother to read the comments? By the way I'm a pti supporter and I believe credit must be given where due to Nawas Sharif for developing Lahore.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    628 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Not surprised by his revelations on Zardari, that guy has a fetish for always trying to find ways to make money. Have heard of many instances where politicians, businessmen who request a simple meeting with him to discuss serious issues have to pay him a very hefty amount for his time.
    1 lac for 1 minute?

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5947 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnowbasher View Post
    None of us have criticised him what the hell are you on about? Do u even bother to read the comments? By the way I'm a pti supporter and I believe credit must be given where due to Nawas Sharif for developing Lahore.
    Read the posts in this thread from the beginning.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    1 lac for 1 minute?
    My Wifes cousin had a problem with a kothi in Islamabad and Rehman Malik was the interior Minister, basically the tenants weren't paying the rent or leaving and the court cases were dragging on as they do. Someone had contact with Malik's secretary and he set up a meeting, he saw them and asked what the problem was, my Wife's cousin explained and he asked how much rent was involved, they told him around 10 lakh. He laughed and said you met me over such a Poultry sum, he thought it involved crores. He said you are wasting my time, what can I make out of the 10 lakh is peanuts and told them to go away.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    628 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    My Wifes cousin had a problem with a kothi in Islamabad and Rehman Malik was the interior Minister, basically the tenants weren't paying the rent or leaving and the court cases were dragging on as they do. Someone had contact with Malik's secretary and he set up a meeting, he saw them and asked what the problem was, my Wife's cousin explained and he asked how much rent was involved, they told him around 10 lakh. He laughed and said you met me over such a Poultry sum, he thought it involved crores. He said you are wasting my time, what can I make out of the 10 lakh is peanuts and told them to go away.
    has the matter now been resolved? and how did it get resolved?

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    has the matter now been resolved? and how did it get resolved?
    Tbh, it got resolved but I don't know how. It probably meant a combination of courts, and third parties etc.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What was Afridi doing in PM House today?

Raise your words, not voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder... (Rumi)

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep him well away. Can see IK humouring him to ensure they don't cross swords, but taking someone like him into confidence or giving him any kind of responsility is asking for trouble.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGuru View Post
    What was Afridi doing in PM House today?

has been around: for a few years now, this meeting is probably to do with hia charity foundation I guess

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adijazz1706 View Post
    has been around: for a few years now, this meeting is probably to do with hia charity foundation I guess
    In last few years he tried his best to keep a distance from IK and stay close to Sharifs even in his book he showed a soft corner for Sharifs

Raise your words, not voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder... (Rumi)

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wanted facilitaties built in fata.