User Tag List

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is England peaking too soon? Will they choke again in the semi-final or final of the World Cup?

ICC Champions Trophy 2013 Final.
    England needed 20 from 15-16 balls but could not seal the deal.

ICC T20 World Cup 2016.
    England had to defend mammoth 19 from final over, but again could not seal the deal.

ICC 2017 Champions Trophy Semi Final.
    Heavy favorites England were completely outplayed by underrated Pakistan at Cardiff.

To be fair, This England team reminds me of New Zealand 2015. Too good all the way to final or may be semi final. Then choke will take place. Pakistan is not playing good cricket but they are scoring runs in access of 340 regularly. In World cup if they put this kind of total in 5-6 matches, they will definitely get into semi finals.

From Semi Finals Pakistan generally becomes a different beast like Liverpool.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarwar89 View Post

ICC T20 World Cup 2016.
    England had to defend mammoth 19 from final over, but again could not seal the deal.

Heavy favorites England were completely outplayed by underrated Pakistan at Cardiff.

To be fair, This England team reminds me of New Zealand 2015. Too good all the way to final or may be semi final. Then choke will take place. Pakistan is not playing good cricket but they are scoring runs in access of 340 regularly. In World cup if they put this kind of total in 5-6 matches, they will definitely get into semi finals.

England are going to get better so I think its wrong to think that they will magically become worse!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I can’t wait to watch this England team lose in an important World Cup game. I will truly enjoy it

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. They aren't gonna win a WC.

If you Can Believe In Something, Than why not believe In Yourself.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    India and Australia have the teams to beat them.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling they won't win the WC.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5360 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Some people have convinced themselves that England will fall short again. While their confidence is respectable, they will have nowhere to hide if England prove them wrong.

I personally think it will be an India vs England final and it could go either way, although my hunch is that England will finally do it this time. They must have learned from the Champions Trophy and will not repeat the same mistakes. Since Pakistan have absolutely no chance, I do hope that England go all the way because they deserve it.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ICC T20 World Cup 2016.

England has not shown their A game yet. They are playing against bunch of school boys unprofessional cricketers. Who don't know how to bowl bat or field. Pathetic team Pakistan really don't know have to describe them in words simply disgusting. Imad wasim useless player still playing international games no bowlers Junaid Khan

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Would rather being playing how England are than our pathetic team are.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I highly doubt they'll win this WC even though they are the undisputed #1 team in the world. Pitches will be under ICC control, England are only good for flat pitches. Plus, England are known to choke as well, as highlighted by OP.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    The 6ix
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You exactly donít choke if you get to the final of the world cup lol

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ICC T20 World Cup 2016.

Yess they will loose as always.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    390 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is more hope than anything else.

India vs England will always be a close match and if they meet in semis or finals it could go either way so hardly a choke.

Australia vs England is also one game which can go either way.

Most people are just hoping England face Aus or India in the finals or semis, get knocked out and then call them "chokers" again.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will be thhuss thhuss against quality spin bowling like India, BD or may be Aussie. None of countries fast bowling will hurt them.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Struggling to find a weak link in this england side.

It will be their WC to loose.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ICC T20 World Cup 2016.

It's not right to compare them with nz of 2015. Nz of 2015 were facing the mighty Australians in the final in Melbourne whereas England have lost from positions where they were overwhelming favourites.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    Struggling to find a weak link in this england side.

It will be their WC to loose.
    Bowling. Pressure handling. Both will be tested in the world cup.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very long tournament - things can change over time. As things stand today:

1. England
    2. India
    3. Australia
    4. Pakistan

The man on top of the mountain didnít fall there ó Vince Lombardi

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    I highly doubt they'll win this WC even though they are the undisputed #1 team in the world. Pitches will be under ICC control, England are only good for flat pitches. Plus, England are known to choke as well, as highlighted by OP.
    The only choke I can think of was the last but one Championís Trophy final when Bopara could not get them over the line.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    703 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Some people have convinced themselves that England will fall short again. While their confidence is respectable, they will have nowhere to hide if England prove them wrong.

I personally think it will be an India vs England final and it could go either way, although my hunch is that England will finally do it this time. They must have learned from the Champions Trophy and will not repeat the same mistakes. Since Pakistan have absolutely no chance, I do hope that England go all the way because they deserve it.
    Don't have the bowling.

Difficult to win, will bottle it again.

Wood is generally harmless and batsmen love his pace, while Jofra can't do much alone and isn't a world beater.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm confident of beating this England team in a semi.
    I'm not even joking

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    703 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    The only choke I can think of was the last but one Champion’s Trophy final when Bopara could not get them over the line.
    How do you rate your chances? Confident enough?

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England is not going to win the WC.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a team is playing well, appreciate it, don;t be jealous.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Peaking early'- Sunil Manohar Gavaskar.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    England just has to play 2 good matches to win the world cup. THeir semi final birth is confirmed. Even at their worst game they will beat 90% of the sides. They just have ready themselves for semi final already. I dearly wish them getting knocked out in the early rounds. Looking at the mediocrity of other sides it is very less likely to happen.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are they "peaking early"??
    They've been dominating in England for the past 3-4 years now.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England fully rely on their batting on flattest tracks, their bowling is rubbish. Any balanced team like South Africa, Australia and India will teach them a lesson in CWC19.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends ... if they get a pitch which is not batting friendly then it will become very tricky. Let's see...

But they are definitely peaking to an extreme as of now!

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any balanced team which has variety in bowling can def catch ENG off guard in a knock out match.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    How do you rate your chances? Confident enough?
    Not really. Something always goes wrong. India will win. WI might be a good outside bet.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manager101 View Post
    England fully rely on their batting on flattest tracks, their bowling is rubbish. Any balanced team like South Africa, Australia and India will teach them a lesson in CWC19.
    Sure? They beat Australia in Australia, SA in England, and India in England last year.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    431 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No such thing as peaking too early. English team is pretty well suited to present home conditions. They are rightly the favourites.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure? They beat Australia in Australia, SA in England, and India in England last year.
    All those wins were on road pitches. In World cup, they won't be getting these type of pitches as news is that ICC will monitor for preparing balanced conditions.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan isn't a standard to measure a teams peak. Even Afghanistan performance isn't that bad against pak.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5360 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manager101 View Post
    All those wins were on road pitches. In World cup, they won't be getting these type of pitches as news is that ICC will monitor for preparing balanced conditions.
    The pitches will still be roads. Unless the conditions are overcast, we will get high scoring games. People are forgetting the 2015 World Cup which was played on highways as well.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5360 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)

Australia in England last year as well. 5-0 whitewash.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5360 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Don't have the bowling.

Difficult to win, will bottle it again.

Wood is generally harmless and batsmen love his pace, while Jofra can't do much alone and isn't a world beater.
    Their bowling isn't great but it is not terrible either. Last summer, they won 7 out 8 ODIs against India and Australia, restricting them to low totals.

The big issue for them at the moment is Adil Rashid's poor form. He is their main wicket-taker in the middle-overs but he has been very poor in the last few games. If he gets his rhythm back their attack will have more potency.