Apr 2015
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why wasn't Shoaib Malik given more overs?

Shoaib Malik gave just 4 runs in 2 overs and picked up a wicket, why was he not allowed to bowl more overs? Why was Sarfraz giving the ball to fast bowlers when they were getting hammered around?

Why not let spinners bowl some more overs?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Instead Hafeez was bowled even though he wasn't bowling as well. Sarfraz really looks clueless at times.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same question I was asking.

Malik was flighting the ball nicely

Hafeez also had two overs left

But sarfaraz made crap decisions

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup he broung the phast bowlers back too early - at least wait till Malik goes for a boundary.

The man on top of the mountain didnít fall there ó Vince Lombardi

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarfraz is a poor captain but who else in this team can be captain after WC?

Imad & Shadab dont hold a permanent spot - this WC is going to expose Imad. Babar seems to be too passive.

The man on top of the mountain didnít fall there ó Vince Lombardi

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stupid decision by Sarfaraz.
    Spin was working well so it was best to choke them completely and take the RRR out of their reach and then bring pace at the death but Sarfaraz was a bit to early in bringing pace which the English batsmen were much more comfortable with as compared to the spin.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's where we miss Misbah's captaincy.. He did not use to make blunders like that.

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He brought the pacers the back on to get another wicket. If he kept Malik, you would say Sarfraz is not proactive as a captain and not thinking about taking wickets

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Very surprising indeed. There was also a case of trying Malik for one more over towards the end

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easily the worst captain we ever had and certainly the worst in this WC. How we ended up in this situation

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketInsight View Post

Imad & Shadab dont hold a permanent spot - this WC is going to expose Imad. Babar seems to be too passive.
    Babar atleast merits a place in the side which is already an upgrade over Sarfaraz who doenst deserve to be in LOIs.

Fakhar looked decent as captain in PSL and also few years back as captain of Baluchistan in Pentangular Cup. He is also an automatic selection in LOIs for considerable future.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In future we should have a baseline IQ test before giving captaincy to anyone.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What more do you expect from this embarrassment of a cricketer? Had he bowled Hafeez and Malik out , it was an easy win.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    In future we should have a baseline IQ test before giving captaincy to anyone.
    There should be 3 theory components:

1. General IQ Test
    2. Cricket Analytics
    3. Critical Thinking in Cricket

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    904 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Giving Junaid penultimate over was a big blunder I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Junaid because he was having phaintaa what was the point of giving him the over better to gamble with a spinner Hafeez/Malik

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    What more do you expect from this embarrassment of a cricketer? Had he bowled Hafeez and Malik out , it was an easy win.
    It would have helped for sure but he has lost it mentally and I question if he has ever been there, the batting is selfish and the awareness on field absolutely shocking, you don't see some of these glaring mistakes in even top tier club cricket

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't have mattered he would have smashed his stumps sooner or later but definitely before scoring any impactful runs, given the way he is batting so deep and double backing into the crease....

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just saw the scorecard and this was the first question that came to my mind, why malik bowled only 2 overs when he bowled those two so well!!?

This is where Dhoni used to do so well as a captain, when the likes of Raina, Jadhav these part timers bowl well, he keeps bowling them until they do well, that gives you such a luxury later of being able to choose between bowlers. It also frustrates the batsmen that a part timer is chipping away with economical overs, they often get frustrated and throw away their wicket in such times.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Malik flighted the ball well. He should have bowled more.

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The spinners should have continued. Definitely an oversight by Sarfraz which could have brought us a victory.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_ahm View Post
    Just saw the scorecard and this was the first question that came to my mind, why malik bowled only 2 overs when he bowled those two so well!!?

This is where Dhoni used to do so well as a captain, when the likes of Raina, Jadhav these part timers bowl well, he keeps bowling them until they do well, that gives you such a luxury later of being able to choose between bowlers. It also frustrates the batsmen that a part timer is chipping away with economical overs, they often get frustrated and throw away their wicket in such times.
    Was scared i suppose Last time at trent bridge Malik was given third over. Butler smoked him for 4 sixes lol

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He had 10 overs to make up with Hafeez and Malik, and that's the script he followed. Even if they were bowling at 3rpo each it didn't matter.

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    umm may be because he was hit on the bowling hand in his last over?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Edmonton-Lahore Canada-Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketInsight View Post

Yeah my candidate would be the following in such order:

Fakhar
    Imam
    Babar

IN PAKISTAN LIES OUR DELIVERANCE,DEFENCE, AND HONOUR.
    -Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah really dumb decision to take him off. Woulda kept him on instead of Hafeez Sobers.

-Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_ahm View Post

+1 Malik isn’t even a part timer he’s a proper all-rounder he has 150+ wickets in ODI’s. Sure he doesn’t bowl much anymore but if he was bowling like that you keep him on.

-Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarfraz useless Ahmed is really becoming biggest liability on the team.Can't bat can't Field can't lead either.What a joke he is

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    It would have helped for sure but he has lost it mentally and I question if he has ever been there, the batting is selfish and the awareness on field absolutely shocking, you don't see some of these glaring mistakes in even top tier club cricket
    He has always been a rubbish captain. The CT just fooled us.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1922 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Every criticism intact for Sarfraz but Iíll put equal blame on Arthur here - how much does it take to send 12th man with a bottle and instructions, if you feel that your captain is clueless?

The reason I have written many times - Arthur isnít the sharpest mind to operate with spinners. The way TCurran was troubling with slower balls in first half, it should have indicated that taking out pace might work on 85+ overs old track, more so with English tail who loves the ball into bat. Add to that only batsman left being lefti and Malik was turning it quite well across left-hander, it was elementary - infact he could have put a slip as well for Stokes, who was still unsettled. I actually wrote that in game thread when Hasan & JK were brought back. I think, Sarfraz was expecting reverse swing from his pacers, but if I am given an odd of English batsmen surviving reverse swing or turning spinner - Iíll always opt spin option.

I think, Sarfarazís biggest mistake was that he tried to contain England with 125 required at close to 8 with 5 wickets at hand, when tactics should have been to get couple of wickets. This is where Sarfraz has been poor - often allows batting side to escape tight situation and cash on later. Containing doesnít work these days because now most bowlers can bat a bit as well, batting conditions have vastly improved and itís easier these days to make up asking by just 1-2 blows/over - Arthur should have intervened here.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haris93 View Post
    umm may be because he was hit on the bowling hand in his last over?
    This answer will not please Sarfraz haters, you may be hated upon as well now.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Probably Sarfaraz is not confident about Malik Bowling.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think the part timers are decent. Haris, Hafeez and Malik are more than capable of bowling 10 wickets between them.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the same
    Haven't seen such an aweful decision in a long time. Was the captain trying to be too smart?

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1046 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    All hail Captain Fantastic.

Clive Lloyd thought to give Junaid his full quota despite getting hammered for 9 RPO in his first spell, and bowl rookie Hasnain at the death, instead of bowling out Hafeez and Malik who managed to contain England.

A half decent captain would've won that match with better use of bowling and field changes. Instead Sarfraz thinks his pace attack will blow everyone away - probably why we've not seen any proper spinners groomed under his watch. He played 3 pacers on dead Abu Dhabi track vs SL.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Every criticism intact for Sarfraz but I’ll put equal blame on Arthur here - how much does it take to send 12th man with a bottle and instructions, if you feel that your captain is clueless?

The reason I have written many times - Arthur isn’t the sharpest mind to operate with spinners. The way TCurran was troubling with slower balls in first half, it should have indicated that taking out pace might work on 85+ overs old track, more so with English tail who loves the ball into bat. Add to that only batsman left being lefti and Malik was turning it quite well across left-hander, it was elementary - infact he could have put a slip as well for Stokes, who was still unsettled. I actually wrote that in game thread when Hasan & JK were brought back. I think, Sarfraz was expecting reverse swing from his pacers, but if I am given an odd of English batsmen surviving reverse swing or turning spinner - I’ll always opt spin option.

I think, Sarfaraz’s biggest mistake was that he tried to contain England with 125 required at close to 8 with 5 wickets at hand, when tactics should have been to get couple of wickets. This is where Sarfraz has been poor - often allows batting side to escape tight situation and cash on later. Containing doesn’t work these days because now most bowlers can bat a bit as well, batting conditions have vastly improved and it’s easier these days to make up asking by just 1-2 blows/over - Arthur should have intervened here.

It was obvious that he needed to bowl the spinners. A few more overs of spin would have won the game for Pakistan. You could see that Curran was struggling like you have mentioned. I am hoping this pitch is used against West Indies. It would put those stroke makers under pressure vs Imad and Hafeez.

I think Sarfraz just thought our pacers would win the game like typical media and cliche sayings. I think it was poor captaincy.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely should have been given more overs and maybe the penultimate over.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Very weird decision considering Stokes is weaker against spin than pace.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Very weird decision considering Stokes is weaker against spin than pace.
    I think the game has been killed by ECB by having such short boundaries.

Malik or any spinner would have had no chance to stop the flow at the end

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    All hail Captain Fantastic.

Clive Lloyd thought to give Junaid his full quota despite getting hammered for 9 RPO in his first spell, and bowl rookie Hasnain at the death, instead of bowling out Hafeez and Malik who managed to contain England.

A half decent captain would've won that match with better use of bowling and field changes. Instead Sarfraz thinks his pace attack will blow everyone away - probably why we've not seen any proper spinners groomed under his watch. He played 3 pacers on dead Abu Dhabi track vs SL.

Is that the name for Sarfraz's biryani tid ? honestly speaking, many worship him as if he is Clive, that too grown men, I just find it creepy and also that he is put on such a high pedestal to the point where the fandom supersedes any support for Pakistan @Hasan123 @Syed1

I actually will agree with all the people who suggested that Sarfraz had nothing to do with our win in the CT, he has been living of that glory for far too long and it's a shame someone like him will be leading Pakistan in a long World Cup tournament where you are required to show some intelligence

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should have bowled more. He was also getting through his overs quickly and his dots were building lots of pressure

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Definitely a blunder Malik and hafeez both had slowed the rate down and the new lad curran was looking very nervous against spin

With the pace attack performing as they had earlier in the innings surely the risk was worth taking and keeping them on