May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Watch the interview of Afridi explaining his statement. Don’t be so quick to judge

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    Watch the interview of Afridi explaining his statement. Don’t be so quick to judge
    Link?

"i'M sOrRy, i'M nOt sUpPosED tO teLl yoU tHiS"

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apple and Orange comparison. Had Kobe lived in Pakistan his views would be similar to Afridi and had Afridi lived in America his views would be similar to Kobe.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    Apple and Orange comparison. Had Kobe lived in Pakistan his views would be similar to Afridi and had Afridi lived in America his views would be similar to Kobe.
    I agree.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    In an older interview, he said that women belong in the kitchen. So regardless of how he has justified his decision, it is obvious that he holds misogynistic and sexist views.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    In an older interview, he said that women belong in the kitchen. So regardless of how he has justified his decision, it is obvious that he holds misogynistic and sexist views.
    I am not a big Afridi fan but he comes from a conservative family.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally wrong comparision. They come from different cultures hence have different opinions on such matters. There may be something which Shahid finds acceptable but Kobe may not but that won't mean that Kobe is wrong. Everyone has their own views on things that doesn't make them better or worse.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a good idea to compare Kobe and Afridi...forget cultural differences, one is a genius and the other an imbecile

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    I agree.
    So what is the issue then?

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    So?

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP is in an indoor sport, which Afridi did not object too.

Some people have neither read Afridi's tweet, nor his explanation - but ust like a good old summer bashing.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Kobe Bryant is also an alleged rapist.

This is a daft comparison because both are products of their social environments. If Kobe Bryant grew up in an Afridi family, he would not believe in female liberation either. Kobe Bryant is not a yardstick by which you can measure another individual's morality and views and neither is Afridi.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is classic example of ethnocentrism.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    OP is in an indoor sport, which Afridi did not object too.

Some people have neither read Afridi's tweet, nor his explanation - but ust like a good old summer bashing.
    Your interpretation of Afridi's statement is comical. I do hope you are joking.

Anyway, Afridi doesn't have a problem with outdoor sports per se, his main objection is public sporting activities, which covers both indoor and outdoor public sports. I will quote his statement here:

"Ajwa and Asmara are the youngest and love to play dress-up. They have my permission to play any sport, as long as they're indoors. Cricket? No, not for my girls. They have permission to play all the indoor games they want, but my daughters are not going to be competing in public sporting activities."
    His statement is quite clear, even if his wording isn't great. His daughters are free to play any sport as long as it is within the boundaries of his home, but they have no permission to partake in public sporting actives, i.e. they are not allowed to take up a sport as a profession and be in the public eye.

Every professional sport is by definition public, so his daughters are not allowed to become professional basketball, ping-pong, chess, snooker, badminton etc. players either.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Your interpretation of Afridi's statement is comical. I do hope you are joking.

Anyway, Afridi doesn't have a problem with outdoor sports per se, his main objection is public sporting activities, which covers both indoor and outdoor public sports. I will quote his statement here:

His statement is quite clear, even if his wording isn't great. His daughters are free to play any sport as long as it is within the boundaries of his home, but they have no permission to partake in public sporting actives, i.e. they are not allowed to take up a sport as a profession and be in the public eye.

Every professional sport is by definition public, so his daughters are not allowed to become professional basketball, ping-pong, chess, snooker, badminton etc. players either.
    You claimed to have read his book? Something tells me you have not.

Here is the exact quote from his book.

They have my permission to play any sport, as long as they’re indoors,” he wrote in Game Changer published last week. “Cricket? No, not for my girls. They have permission to play all the indoor games they want, but my daughters are not going to be competing in public sporting activities.”
    Bold emphasis for added effect.

In case you believe I am mincing words, here is the quote reported in The Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ket-dont-care/

Take your time.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    You claimed to have read his book? Something tells me you have not.

Here is the exact quote from his book.

Bold emphasis for added effect.

In case you believe I am mincing words, here is the quote reported in The Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ket-dont-care/

Take your time.
    You should read your own quote:

They have my permission to play any sport, as long as they’re indoors,” he wrote in Game Changer published last week. “Cricket? No, not for my girls. They have permission to play all the indoor games they want, but my daughters are not going to be competing in public sporting activities.”

There you go. That is the key point. His main gripe is with public sporting activities, which effectively rules out indoor sports like basketball, volleyball, badminton, snooker etc. etc.

Your reasoning is quite poor.

Your defense of Afridi in this thread is that he has a problem with his daughters playing sports like cricket, but they have his blessings if they wish to play basketball, volleyball, tennis etc. professionally as long as they are not played outdoors.

That is quite hilarious and I am not sure if you can actually say that with a straight face.

I don’t think you are mincing your words, but your interpretation of Afridi’s statement is ridiculous.

You are fixated with the distinction between indoor and outdoor sports, but that is irrelevant in the context of his statement.

He clearly stated that they are not going to be competing in public sporting activities, but for some reason, you have chosen to completely ignore this statement.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    And I have had the misfortune of reading his mediocre autobiography, and there is nothing in it that suggests that he is okay with his daughters playing pro sports, as long as they are not playing under open skies.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Since, when are indoor sports not public sporting events?

Sexists supporting a sexist.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Afridi’s statement is far more tolerable than sentencing someone to death over offensive text messages..

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    Afridi’s statement is far more tolerable than sentencing someone to death over offensive text messages..

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Since, when are indoor sports not public sporting events?

Sexists supporting a sexist.
    Pakistan is a patriarchal society, people like Afridi who are from probably the most conservative part of the country aren't even going to recognise sexism as a legitimate term. It's a western concept of the 20th century, might be a while before it filters down into tribal mindsets of third world countries.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think maybe it has to do with one was born and raised in Italy/US while the other is from Pakistan ? I think it maybe it. Jokes apart, even if Afridi makes his daughters play sports right now they wouldn't be interested. They are probably raised "modestly" all this along.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Kobe Bryant is also an alleged rapist.

This is a daft comparison because both are products of their social environments. If Kobe Bryant grew up in an Afridi family, he would not believe in female liberation either. Kobe Bryant is not a yardstick by which you can measure another individual's morality and views and neither is Afridi.
    This post is exactly the right thing to say, well thought out. Are the Bryant allegations part of MeToo or was it something that happened earlier?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    Correlation is the values with which one grows up..