Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we seeing a West Indies resurgence?

The West Indies team of today is leaps and bounds ahead of the kind of teams they've been putting out for the last 12 years. They come into this tournament as a team that can destroy any opposition on their day like they destroyed New Zealand the warm-up the other day and England in the ODI series earlier this year.

They have an intelligent captain who himself is a very useful player in both departments. Shai Hope has all the makings of being one of the top 3 batsmen in the world once this Fab 4 class fades away. Hetmyer, Lewis, Pooran are very destructive and very much in-sync with the modern demands of limited-overs batting. They've got Dre Rus down at 7 who is in the form of his life hitting-wise and ofcourse the have pretty good fast-bowlers too. Oshane Thomas, Shannon Gabriel, Kemar Roach and Holder himself.

The inconsistency obviously still exists and they are missing a good spinner but I think with a young group of players they can build a strong team for the future maybe even change the wretched trajectory West Indies cricket has been on for so long. Alot obviously depends on their board letting things stay stable.

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    Unknown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A strong WI is always good for cricket. They have been mediocre for good 20-25 years now. They lost to Bangladesh three games straight in Ireland last month. Still a long way to go.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I'll admit, I go into this match on Friday vs West Indies with trepidation.

And that's how it should be facing West Indies.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It may sound suprising and some viewers may mock me but I have a strong insight that West Indies will well clinch the 2019 world cup.

West Indies are the dark horses and on their day can blaze away in a run chase like no other team.In the recent 2-2 drawn series they proved that they could be as good as anybody and all but won the series.It has some of the most dashing stroke players ever seen in a world cup like Gayle ,Andre Russell and Brathwaithe and talented allrounders.It is similar to the side that won the 2004 ICC trophy.It is overdue now that a dark horse wins with favourites triumphing since 2003.With a bit of luck West Indies may well have won the title also in 1983 and 1987 in addition to those won in 1975 and 1979.It also came within touching distance as dark horses in 1996.It is notable that they lifted the t-20 world cup in India in 2016.Shimron Hetmeyer,Chris Gayle,Dwayne Bravo,Andre Russell and Shai Hope are match-winners on their daywho can explode like a dynamite.

I feel West Indies are on the road to ressurecting their past glory of the 1970's with the lately infused talent in the side.On their day they can beat anyone and I bak their spirit to overcome the more balanced teamsjust like India did in 1983 or Australia in 1987 and Sri Lanka in 1996.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Frightening team if all goes well.

Their batting unit on their day as they showed against New Zealand can cause havoc for any opposition.

I just hope Friday isn't one of their good days.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1038 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a great leader which inspires them.

Remarkable to see how Jason has evolved himself.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    I'll admit, I go into this match on Friday vs West Indies with trepidation.

And that's how it should be facing West Indies.
    The spanked us in the last world cup as well.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    The spanked us in the last world cup as well.
    They have had our number in ICC tournaments since the 2013 Champions Trophy.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    yes, you are right. feeling bleak but hoping we get the bowling right.
    never thought i would feel bleak about Pakistan because our BOWLING will lose confidence.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    InshaAllah. Their fans have been through a horrid period with both a dearth of talent and a terrible WICB. They deserve a return of their golden era and the revival of cricket in the West Indies as i think most of their youngsters turn to American sports these days.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Let's not stop there - 1975, 1979, 1983, 1992, 2004 CT and 2007 (when Dwayne Smith of all people tore through our batting lineup).

Lot of heartbreaks at the hands of the Windies over the years.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no resurgence. They have nowhere near the quality of the 1970's and 1980's.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is definitely a resurgence , thanks to money brought into cricket by T20 leagues. This the best WI team in a WC since 1992.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    There is no resurgence. They have nowhere near the quality of the 1970's and 1980's.
    They aren't gonna reach the level of that side but you cannot deny they have so many matchwinning talent - Gayle, Lewis, Hope, Hetmyer, Russell, Thomas, Roach, Gabriel, Cottrell - these are no mugs.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    They aren't gonna reach the level of that side but you cannot deny they have so many matchwinning talent - Gayle, Lewis, Hope, Hetmyer, Russell, Thomas, Roach, Gabriel, Cottrell - these are no mugs.
    These guys are no better then what other top sides have.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WI are athletes and with advent of T20 WI will rise...

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They were always blessed with world class talent. Just that they lacked leader and direction. It is understandble not to see some lack of unity as they are not ONE COUNTRY. They are a collection of countries. There are some obvious bias within the selection committee. Possibly groups as well. Due to this they always performed well below their potential except may be in T20 where you don't think a lot. You just go bang bang. Holder is a fantastic leader.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Yaar Friday Kay Babar Jo marzi karain and good luck to them.
    Just let us win on Friday!

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So much firepower in that batting lineup. They have the capability to chase almost any score,

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Kuwait
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    West Indies...."naam hi kafi hay"

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is nothing new. Windies won the t20 world Cup because on really flat wickets no one match their big hitting ability unless you have quality spinners. On flat tracks without quality spin they can out blast anyone. They hit sixes for fun. Not even Australia or India can compete with them in that department and it's not even close. This doesn't mean they are a much improved team or anything, they are just simply amazing at one aspect of the game which is big hitting.
    Last edited by Bonafide Hustler; 30th May 2019 at 06:26.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what resurgence are we talking about here? They've always had big hitters. The likes of Gayle, Darren Bravo, Russell, Holder, Brathwaite etc didn't make their debut last year or something? Yes, Shai Hope is a really good addition to this line-up, but even with him they just lost a Tri-series to Bangladesh.

I see people over-rating West Indies a lot. They might smash a few big totals when everything clicks for them, but they are also liable to get smashed in return.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Not sure what resurgence are we talking about here? They've always had big hitters. The likes of Gayle, Darren Bravo, Russell, Holder, Brathwaite etc didn't make their debut last year or something? Yes, Shai Hope is a really good addition to this line-up, but even with him they just lost a Tri-series to Bangladesh.

I see people over-rating West Indies a lot. They might smash a few big totals when everything clicks for them, but they are also liable to get smashed in return.
    You're missing my point. I never said they're one of the top teams in this tournament but on their day they have the potential to not just beat but destroy any team. The players you mentioned may not have made their debuts yesterday but they have improved in many respects; when you talk about Holder, he has evolved into a mature and intelligent leader much different from 4 years ago. Russell is in insane form and he might just be the most dangerous hitter at the World Cup. Same goes for Gayle who has hit something like 44 sixes in his last 4-5 games while Darren Barvo has taken on a proper role at Number 4. They also have fast-bowlers who can pull it back for them. It would be a shame to underestimate someone like Oshane Thomas who has a bright future ahead of him

Also Gayle, Lewis, Russell, Hetmyer, Pooran, Oshane Thomas were all not part of the Windies squad for the tri-series. Had they been playing I think the result would have been a little different
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 30th May 2019 at 07:54.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UP View Post
    A strong WI is always good for cricket. They have been mediocre for good 20-25 years now. They lost to Bangladesh three games straight in Ireland last month. Still a long way to go.
    Gayle, Lewis, Russell, Hetmyer, Pooran, Oshane Thomas were all not part of the Windies squad for the tri-series. Had they been playing I don't think Bangladesh would have won the tri-series

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will go hot and cold. On one day they will perform like a champion and on the other day, they will perform like a minnow.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    West Indies have certainly improved a lot but their inconsistency will haunt them in the 50 overs format in a tournament like the World Cup. But kudos to Jason Holder though, he sure has galvanised the team into a cohesive unit. They are surely a side on the upward curve with players playing the game with the fun and passion like they used to do before.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    You're missing my point. I never said they're one of the top teams in this tournament but on their day they have the potential to not just beat but destroy any team. The players you mentioned may not have made their debuts yesterday but they have improved in many respects; when you talk about Holder, he has evolved into a mature and intelligent leader much different from 4 years ago. Russell is in insane form and he might just be the most dangerous hitter at the World Cup. Same goes for Gayle who has hit something like 44 sixes in his last 4-5 games while Darren Barvo has taken on a proper role at Number 4. They also have fast-bowlers who can pull it back for them. It would be a shame to underestimate someone like Oshane Thomas who has a bright future ahead of him

Also Gayle, Lewis, Russell, Hetmyer, Pooran, Oshane Thomas were all not part of the Windies squad for the tri-series. Had they been playing I think the result would have been a little different
    Could have, would have, should have. Let them win something first. This same team lost comprehensively to Bangladesh at home in both the ODI and T20I series just recently. It's hilarious watching people over-rate them on the basis of a warm-up game where every one of their batters was playing without any pressure.

Their bowling is pants, sorry.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not sure about resurgence but they look better than they have in years. Post champions trophy, they've been better against top 6 sides than the likes of SL,AFG,BD and the champions themselves

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    WIN is the bogey team for PAK. Apart from 1987, 1999 & 2011 WC, I doubt in ICC ODI events, how many times PAK had won against WIN.

1975 - lost to their last pair, which was elimination game in group
    1979 - lost in SF
    1983 - lost in SF
    1987 - 1-1 in group stage, PAK winning the active rubber
    1992 - lost in 1st game
    1998 - lost in QF (ICC KO)
    1999 - won in group game
    2004 - lost in SF (ICC KO)
    2007 - lost in group stage
    2009 - won in group stage (ICC CT)
    2011 - won in QF
    2013 - lost in group stage
    2015 - lost in group stage

Itís 3-7 in WC, 1-3 in other ICC events and 4-10 over all.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Not sure about resurgence but they look better than they have in years. Post champions trophy, they've been better against top 6 sides than the likes of SL,AFG,BD and the champions themselves
    They always had the potential, but not the heart. I wrote it 6 months back during India tour that after many years, they have a Captain to is proud to wear maroon cap. They often donít play their best squad in random series hence their ranking is poor. On their full potential, they can smash their way to SF.

Take that guy Hetmyer - his stats is like 41/111 and he has 4 ODI hundreds in last 2 years - all 4 winning the game. If Sai Hope has a good WC, WI will be in SF - then itís about two great days.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    They always had the potential, but not the heart. I wrote it 6 months back during India tour that after many years, they have a Captain to is proud to wear maroon cap. They often donít play their best squad in random series hence their ranking is poor. On their full potential, they can smash their way to SF.

Take that guy Hetmyer - his stats is like 41/111 and he has 4 ODI hundreds in last 2 years - all 4 winning the game. If Sai Hope has a good WC, WI will be in SF - then itís about two great days.
    I agree bro. These guys are extremely talented. It all depends on, I feel, how long Holder can keep them switched on as a team . I think they will do well in the initial stages and then lose steam over the course of 9 matches. Performing consistently well is not their strength. However, if they do make it to semis. somehow they will be every bit as dangerous as England or Australia because then it's only about two good days.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    West Indies are being horribly underestimated. They have been making improvements in tests and ODIs for the last couple of years.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things are looking good for the WI since the change at the very very top. The West indies team of the last few years which we dominated was so different, you'd expect nothing less than a routine victory against them but now you can't take them easily at all. Frightening if they have a good day.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    As of recent, results from both teams have been massive devastating wins. Pak crushed WI by 10 wickets in the 2011 WC and have been on the receiving end in 2015 WC, 2014 T20 WC. Even in ODI series, Pak has always been making a mockery of WI, although WI have destroyed us in one T20; the series where Shadab made his debut. I'm going to be wary of WI in our first game as their batting can rip us to shreds, but if we get our bowling right then WI will surrender meekly like a little school boy getting robbed for his juice carton.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am always vary of WI in big tournaments, nightmare game.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8...ld-cup-2014-15

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, WI are the most exciting cricket team. Even when they play badly, it's a catastrophic type of badness which is very watchable. A bit like Pakistan. I really hope they are at the beginning of a resurgence.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherazkhalid View Post
    I am always vary of WI in big tournaments, nightmare game.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8...ld-cup-2014-15
    We could see a repeat from Russell tomorrow.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    they always regroup for ICC tournaments, then get poached for T20 leagues during bilateral tours.

dangerous team, very hit and miss with the kind of impact players they have, but I would expect the stronger bowling lineups in the tournament to sort them out.

Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    If West Indies retained Jofra Archer, you'd back WI to reach the final.

Alas another stick to beat WICB with, but another reminder there's still unbelievable talent in the Caribbean.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Two moody teams to face off tomorrow.
    Name:  Spiderman.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  45.2 KB

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Could have, would have, should have. Let them win something first. This same team lost comprehensively to Bangladesh at home in both the ODI and T20I series just recently. It's hilarious watching people over-rate them on the basis of a warm-up game where every one of their batters was playing without any pressure.

Their bowling is pants, sorry.
    Who says they have to win the WC. They can come out get hit for 360 and chase it down or bat first and smash 400. They are going to make things difficult for other teams. Point is that this an an entertaining West Indies team which has the potential to get better, they are far from the push-overs they were at the last 2 World Cups
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 31st May 2019 at 00:28.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    Two moody teams to face off tomorrow.
    Name:  Spiderman.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  45.2 KB
    Hahahha

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, what I saw in their home and away series against Bangladesh and last tri series in Ireland, it will be a fancy thing to label this team as a resurgent team. They lost in all 3 against the no 7 ranked team and lost comfortably. They have all the ingredients to be a force in ODIs ( except,they don't have any decent spinner- that's a major flaw though) but they don't perform as a team. They are erratic, indisciplined. You won't be able to win big matches with these flaws. When their batsmen does a pretty good job their bowlers do the opposite and vice versa. They will have to play out of their skin to play semifinal and it ill be an upset if WI plays the final.

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainul View Post
    Well, what I saw in their home and away series against Bangladesh and last tri series in Ireland, it will be a fancy thing to label this team as a resurgent team. They lost in all 3 against the no 7 ranked team and lost comfortably. They have all the ingredients to be a force in ODIs ( except,they don't have any decent spinner- that's a major flaw though) but they don't perform as a team. They are erratic, indisciplined. You won't be able to win big matches with these flaws. When their batsmen does a pretty good job their bowlers do the opposite and vice versa. They will have to play out of their skin to play semifinal and it ill be an upset if WI plays the final.
    I agree with your opinion 100%, granted they scored over 400 in a warm up game but they struggled against Bangladesh.

The bookies have WI favourites...

Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On flat wickets they can hit better than most teams hopefully it isn't a flat wicket against Pakistan or things don't look good.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    West Indies games this tournament have been fun to watch. Couldíve beaten Australia as well, letís see how this next one goes.

If thereís not much cloud cover and is a phatta, WI batsman will go man to man vs Eng bats. Eng bowlers are worse than WI bowlers who have a decent attack, so Iím gonna go out on a limb here and say WI will this game. #CHAMPION @shaz619

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4740 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    West Indies games this tournament have been fun to watch. Could’ve beaten Australia as well, let’s see how this next one goes.

If there’s not much cloud cover and is a phatta, WI batsman will go man to man vs Eng bats. Eng bowlers are worse than WI bowlers who have a decent attack, so I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say WI will this game. #CHAMPION @shaz619

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1090 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    . Eng bowlers are worse than WI bowlers
    Why do you think that?

England have the two fastest bowlers in the WC. Wood, Woakes, Archer and Rashid would all get into the WI team.

Debut
    Oct 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are getting carried away. The majority of West Indian cricketers are excellent in T20 which mostly depends on Brute force,not much concentration required for long innings tor technique.They are perfect for that format. However put them in the longer format they will easily be found wanting esp against the top teams like England, India,Australia South Africa and even Nz. They will will beat or even put up a fight against lower ranked teams like S/l, Pak AFg, Bangla.
    So don't get carried away with the T20 heroics, that what they are T20 specialists.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    WI batsmen are not good enough for ODIs but they are a T20 powerhoouse. It just shows brute hitting is so overrated in ODIs, only proper bstsmen can succeed in this format

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Lack application and game awareness.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    They’ve missed Andre russell alot
    Fidel Edwards should have been included in the squad

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chacha kashmiri View Post
    Andre Russell cost them the game against Australia

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    Andre Russell cost them the game against Australia
    I didn’t watch that one
    But he is one lethal player

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still maintain that they have some talented players with possibly bright futures like Hope, Hetmyer, Thomas and Pooran but as this WC has shown this West Indies side is nothing special or too different from the ones we have been seeing at the last 2 World Cups.

This has been another false dawn.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chacha kashmiri View Post
    I think Andre Russell was only there to destroy Pakistan. Had zero impact in any other game and then got injured

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think West Indies and South Africa are as bad as they have shown in this WC. They both ran NZ close as well who are in the semis.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They played one too many fast bowlers.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    I think Andre Russell was only there to destroy Pakistan. Had zero impact in any other game and then got injured
    The ipl has contributed in him missing the later games
    Boss player though

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All these guys did was wreck Pakistan's campaign. Even if they hadn't played the rest of the games, no one would have batted an eye-lid. That's how insignifact these 'dark horses' were throughout the tournament.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with West Indies is their batsmen treat ODI like T20. Russell doesn't know how to construct an innings. Some of the younger batsmen (Hetmyer, for example) get out to irresponsible shots.

This team can do big things but they need to be disciplined and responsible.

Bangladeshi Fan || [B]

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    West Indies disappointed in the end. Taking Gayle and Russell to the tournament was gamble that failed given their fitness issues.

But they came mighty close vs Australia, New Zealand and Sri Lanka. They just lacked situational awareness at key moments. But it's a young side with a promising core - and an excellent leader (though Holder is not as good a white ball cricketer as he is Test cricketer).

They need to find an opener and a quality spinner.

Phil Simmons is set to return as head coach which is great news, and Otis Gibson or Courtney Walsh might be involved in some capacity as their respective deals probably won't be renewed.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    WI has been the biggest disappointment.

Really sad how poor they were.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Team WI is like a coin toss. You never know if you will get head or tails. It's always a 50-50 with them. Any given player in the team can win you a game by himself but on another day, will look worst than AFG int players.

I hope they bounce back. New players injected into the team looks promising. Heathmayer being one

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    Team WI is like a coin toss. You never know if you will get head or tails. It's always a 50-50 with them. Any given player in the team can win you a game by himself but on another day, will look worst than AFG int players.

I hope they bounce back. New players injected into the team looks promising. Heathmayer being one
    Not really. Besides the Pakistan game and a small part of the Australia game, they got thrashed predictably so by every other team.

I still cannot believe these over-rated mercenaries were the ones who kicked us out of this WC

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    WI team has been absolute rubbish apart from their first 2 games where they

1) Thrashed Pakistan
    2) Got close to beating Australia.

They were outclassed afterwards and even in their match against Afghanistan they looked poor.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    WI looking strong now in T20

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    ST JOHN’S, Antigua — Cricket West Indies (CWI) will, this week, send a two-member inspection team to Bangladesh to conduct a detailed assessment ahead of the scheduled ICC Future Tours Programme (FTP) tour in January next year.

The tour is due to feature matches in both the ongoing ICC Test Match Championship and the ICC One-Day International Super League. The recce will be conducted by CWI Board Director, Dr Akshai Mansingh (member of the CWI’s and ICC’s Medical Advisory Committee) and Paul Slowe, CWI’s Security Manager.

While in Bangladesh, they will visit all the proposed facilities for the tour in both Dhaka and Chattogram, attend matches in the Bangabandhu T20 Cup and also get a first-hand look at the country's COVID-19 response protocols.

CWI’s CEO Johnny Grave said: “We would be the first International Team to visit Bangladesh since the onset of the pandemic and, acting always with the health and safety of our touring party at the forefront of our minds, we have decided to conduct a pre-tour recce by sending two highly experienced professionals to assess the BCB’s bio-secure plans and protocols. Our respective medical and operations teams have held a number of positive meetings over the last few weeks and following receipt of the report from our inspection team, a recommendation will be made to our Board of Directors on whether it is safe to tour Bangladesh early next year.”

The tour of Bangladesh would be the third tour for the West Indies Men's team since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. They are presently in New Zealand for three T20 Internationals, two Test matches and two ‘A’ Team Four-Day matches. Earlier this year they visited England where they played three Test matches, in a bio-secure environment, which marked the return to the game on the international stage. The West Indies Women's team also toured England in September for five T20 Internationals.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't understand why they are not picking Nicholas Pooran in Test cricket. He is such a quality batsman. He should be playing all formats for them.