Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"I feel that some people are scared of change" : Wasim Khan

Wasim Khan, the former Chief Executive of Leicestershire County Cricket Club, has now spent over three months in his new role as Managing Director at the PCB and gained a first-hand understanding of the myriad of issues facing Pakistan cricket.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Wasim Khan spoke about settling down in Lahore, the issues faced in implementing changes at the PCB, reforms in Pakistan's domestic structure, restoration of international cricket in Pakistan, the possibilities of a bilateral series against India and Pakistan's chances in the ongoing World Cup.

PakPassion.net: How has the experience been of settling down in Pakistan?

Wasim Khan:
    Itís been an excellent experience and I am glad to say that my family are moving out full-time to Lahore at the end of July this year. As for me, I have been in Lahore for almost three months now and have done quite a bit of travelling as well and have been to Karachi, Islamabad and also spent a bit of time in Peshawar too. Part of my remit is to get out and about in Pakistan as well, and I am loving the life in Lahore as it's very different but culturally rich so, yes, I am really enjoying myself in Pakistan.

PakPassion.net: Are you enjoying the challenges that you are facing at the PCB?

Wasim Khan:
    I am absolutely enjoying it. I knew that it would be a big challenge and I did go in with my eyes wide open and I am relishing every part of it. There are never any fun and easy jobs and the challenges come when you are fighting for something you believe in. Certainly, in terms of the vision of where we wish to take Pakistan cricket in the next five years, this is a very exciting time and I am privileged to be given the opportunity to drive that forward.

PakPassion.net: How tough has it been to implement your ideas and convince your colleagues about their effectiveness?

Wasim Khan:
    Firstly, let me say that there is always a danger when you come in and try and change things too quickly in any organisation. The Pakistani culture, like most others, does not like change but you just need to take your time and see firstly what your quick wins are. The key for me is to try and convince people in the PCB about why we need to go in a certain direction and then take them with you, rather than force my ideas on them as all that does is create resistance. Thatís pretty much been my strategy, right from the word go. At the moment, weíre busy on reforming the domestic structure where we are looking at a six-province setup which is something Prime Minister Imran Khan is really keen on himself. But that is a radical change, and have we had 40-50 years of departments and regions operating teams and now, we are moving in a slightly different direction. That change is naturally causing a bit of a concern to a lot of people but ultimately the goal is to do what is right for Pakistan cricket.

PakPassion.net: Have you been surprised by the levels of resistance to change from some individuals in the Pakistan cricket establishment?

Wasim Khan:
    I havenít been surprised by the reactions by some to our proposals. I feel that some people are scared of change. Rather than change itself, its more about the worry they have which is common in most cultures and it boils down to the following. Whenever a change happens, people start to become a little bit nervous as they feel that ultimately, somewhere along the line it will affect them and their jobs. So, I knew that there would be some resistance and I had been advised about what to expect in this regard and it seems that the advice has proven correct in every way.

PakPassion.net: What are your views on the best way forward for the issue of the reform of domestic cricket in Pakistan?

Wasim Khan:
    Well, I think we are moving ahead now and looking ahead at the six-provincial teams structure. I feel that in any high-performing domestic structure around the world, you need to have stress in the system. We currently have 16 domestic teams involved in Pakistan domestic cricket which does make it a lot tougher. And so, we would like to move to a structure of six provincial teams, with a second XI of six that sits underneath that. We would have city-based competitions that feed into your provinces and then below that you would have the 2-Day club cricket setup. That is the kind of structure we are looking to implement, and I genuinely believe that this could work and will create high-quality cricket in Pakistan. As a consequence of this change, you will have the best 66 players playing for the first teams in terms of provincial cricket and I think Pakistan cricket will benefit from it.

PakPassion.net: In our last conversation, you spoke about your intent to professionalise the Pakistan Cricket Board. Has that journey started?

Wasim Khan:
    Yes, definitely we are well on our way as far as the objective of professionalisation of the PCB is concerned. In Ehsan Mani we have a great person in charge as our Chairman. Just the little things like having clarity around job descriptions, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for staff are some of the things that are being put in place by him. If you donít have such measures in place, you cannot have accountability. Also, if you allow people grey-areas in their job roles then they will take that any day of the week because if there are grey-areas, then there is no accountability. So, what I am trying to do, is to streamline all that and put clarity around job descriptions for everybody and making sure that there are clear objectives over the next 12 months about what people have to deliver. Let me tell you that when I first walked into my role, I addressed the staff and said that look working for the PCB should be a privilege and not an entitlement. If I donít do my job properly, then I donít expect to have my job, so delivery is what everyone gets paid to do. You donít just get paid to do a job, rather you get paid to achieve and deliver something. For me, accountability should be part and parcel of everybodyís job and that is something we will have in place in the next month or two.

PakPassion.net: Has Prime Minister Imran Khan offered any advice to Ehsan Mani and yourself?

Wasim Khan:
    Ehsan Mani has probably spent more time with the Prime Minister than I have, and they do speak quite often. My job really is to get on with it and put the plans in place. There is obviously a big piece of work we have to do to get international cricket back into Pakistan again as well as implementing domestic reforms and restructuring domestic cricket too. So, there are a number of areas we are looking at including the Pakistan Super League where we are looking to bring the whole PSL back to Pakistan for the next edition which will take place in February 2020.

PakPassion.net: Are there any further updates on international tours to Pakistan?

Wasim Khan:
    We are due to play Sri Lanka in a home series in late September to early October of this year. We will start discussions with them very soon and we are very hopeful that they will come and play in Pakistan. To reiterate, we are yet to have any official conversations with Sri Lanka Cricket regarding playing our home series later this year in Pakistan, but the fact is that we have a very good relationship with SLC as demonstrated by the postponement based on mutual understanding of the Pakistan Under-19 tour in response to the terrorist attacks in Sri Lanka. The fact is that Sri Lanka Cricket has always been there for us when we have needed them so I am hoping that come the time for discussions for them potentially touring Pakistan, they will be very receptive to that idea.

PakPassion.net: Has there been any progress on discussions with the BCCI for the restoration of cricket ties with India?

Wasim Khan:
    Nothing as yet has materialised on contacts with BCCI for playing series against India. There is certainly no resistance from our side, and we are open to that. If we need to play a Test series in England against India for example, we will be very very open to that idea and we would also be fine if they wish to play in any other neutral venues. The sad part is that we play India in ICC tournaments but when it comes to bilateral One-Day or Test series, they wonít play against us. The fact is that sport is a great way of bringing people together and there are great friendships between Indian and Pakistan players. Cricket is a passion in both countries and itís a great shame that people are being denied on both sides of the border of what is probably the greatest sporting contest in the world. However, we are hopeful that at some stage we can re-open those conversations and start playing Test cricket and ODIs against each other again.

PakPassion.net: Have any discussions happened with the ECB regarding some India-Pakistan games being played in England?

Wasim Khan:
    No discussions have taken place in this regard at the moment. In terms of precedence, we know that in the past Pakistan has played Australia in a Test series in England. The ECB are very supportive of helping Pakistan cricket and if we believe that the proposal to play games against Pakistan in England is something the BCCI would be open to, we would then begin negotiations with the ECB on this subject. We are open to playing against India in England or anywhere else in a bilateral series. There is no reluctance on our side, we will play India anywhere.

PakPassion.net: How do you rate Pakistanís chances in the 2019 World Cup?

Wasim Khan:
    I feel that we are ultra-competitive, and we have as good a chance of winning the title as any other participating team. Mickey Arthur and his staff have worked very hard with the players at a camp for about three and a half weeks prior to arriving in England. We also rested eight players during the ODI series against Australia and they have now come back into the side, and they are fresh and ready to go. People seem to forget that these guys arenít robots and that they have been on the road since September of last year and have been living in hotels, day-in and day-out and they needed a rest at some point. So, the players are pretty fresh and we are very fortunate that we played a five ODIs series against England before the main tournament for the guys to acclimatise and get themselves ready.

PakPassion.net: Does Mickey Arthurís future with the Pakistan side rest upon what happens at the World Cup?

Wasim Khan:
    Itís no secret that we want to win the World Cup and do very well. But the PCB are very keen to wait until after the World Cup to see how we move forward. We have the Test Championship starting in September as well to think about and Mickey Arthurís done a tremendous job for Pakistan cricket turning our fortunes around with the Champions Trophy in 2017, and we are at the number one position in ICCís T20I Rankings. So, a lot of good stuff has happened with Mickey Arthur in charge, but his position is for the board to consider at the end of the World Cup. The fact is that Pakistan cricket moving forward is about delivering and also winning and that will certainly be the focus during the World Cup, and we will reassess the situation regarding renewals of contracts at the end of that tournament.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    729 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is great.

We must have accountability in the PCB, there has been none.

These whales will also be resistant to change, hopefully things will change despite the resistance.

PCB needs to run like a private high performance organization.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Met Wasim at Trent Bridge the other day and had a good chat with him.

He's got some great ideas and plans and is really focused on improving Pakistan cricket - let's see if those at the PCB allow that to happen.

He's already sorted a few out which is not going down too well in the corridors of power at PCB.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people are afraid of change in life. They are so used to being in their comfort zone that any change scares them. If we want to improve Pak Cricket then a new direction is needed meaning taking a risk or two.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

He's got some great ideas and plans and is really focused on improving Pakistan cricket - let's see if those at the PCB allow that to happen.

He's already sorted a few out which is not going down too well in the corridors of power at PCB.
    It is going to be a very tough job as half of them, have been busy filling their pockets and think that this is how it should be. They all have big connections, but that's where Imran Khan comes in to play where he must ensure that Wasim Khan is given all the power and support, so he can prove and improve.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scared of removal of status quo, aka money

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MMHS very good idea of 6 team with 2nd teams looks like things will move in right directions.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saj, has he said anything about improving pitches?

Nothing will change until that is done.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this talk about whether six teams is enough is something of a red herring; it completely ignores the fact that there will be a 2nd XI Competition = 12 teams in total. That is more than enough.

The key is ensuring the 2nd XI competition plays at the same time as the First Class teams (to avoid recycling of the same names).

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    Saj, has he said anything about improving pitches?

Nothing will change until that is done.
    He has talked a lot about the conditions of the pitches in Pakistan in the recent interviews if you have listened a bit of him lately like his interview with PTV World (you can find it on youtube) or his interview with BBC or in the podcast with Wisden.

I was particularly impressed with his home work actually. He talked about the low scores in the 1st innings in the QeA trophy matches and give some stats about that. Talked about not producing fast bowlers, wrist spinners or off spinners and there havenít been a leg spinner or an off spinner in the top 40 bowlers in the last two seasons of QeA trophy (this year only 2 off spinners) and talked about that as a huge factor of not producing great cricketers until we donít give them better surfaces.

He has talked about the issues and now need to walk the talk...

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    All this talk about whether six teams is enough is something of a red herring; it completely ignores the fact that there will be a 2nd XI Competition = 12 teams in total. That is more than enough.

The key is ensuring the 2nd XI competition plays at the same time as the First Class teams (to avoid recycling of the same names).
    I agree 100 percent.

We have seen same players playing in the QeA trophy as well as grade 2 cricket as well for regions and departments which is detrimental to their growth and also their team. You take an example of Faisalabad they played grade 2, they were led by Misbah and they had 9 players in the playing XI and they qualified for QeA trophy. Now when QeA trophy starts these players will play for their respective departments and the region has to almost make a completely new team for QeA trophy leaving them with no option and they are surely going to relegate and the cycle continues.This is not the fault of the players but the broken system that needs overhauling and they are doing the right thing.
    Last edited by Fantasy; 6th June 2019 at 21:28.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good interview. Want to see the change before doing banghra. Talking is easy. We need the action to improve our cricket.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is his appointment been approved???

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    484 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Moving Whole Family to Lahore could be risky given how quick things change in Pakistan, but let's hope for his sake he can work till his tenure ends.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Hamza View Post
    Is his appointment been approved???
    You mean by the people who want to maintain the status quo of mediocrity?

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The one thing that cant happen is the 6 teams are full of guys in their late 20`s and early 30`s. And we need need new selectors, not recycled hacks who owe favours.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    The one thing that cant happen is the 6 teams are full of guys in their late 20`s and early 30`s. And we need need new selectors, not recycled hacks who owe favours.
    Yes there should be age limit in team selection.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by faraz39 View Post
    You mean by the people who want to maintain the status quo of mediocrity?
    Ya whoever they are. It was to be approved by the board of governors and they had disapproved his appoinment..So whats the latest update. I dont think he has been officially appointed if it has to go through that process. Its still hanging in balance.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr Wasim!
    Look at our FTP
    Please do something for FTP also we are rapidly becoming a minnow team with these type of FTP ( alot T20, lesser ODI and Tests )

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heís the only semblance of hope right now. If weíre let down by even this PCB regime then as fans we should really just give up.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Saw him yesterday at Old Trafford - didn't look too happy with proceedings.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw him yesterday at Old Trafford - didn't look too happy with proceedings.
    I think now he knows that wholesale changes from top to bottom needed in Pakistani cricket.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Wasim Khan interview before Pak India game

Pakistan Cricket Ė Past, Present and Future - Wasim Khan Ė MD Pakistan Cricket Board

by Alastair Symondson & Cricket World Friday 14 June 2019

Alastair Symondson, Head of Media at Cricket World , caught up with the recently installed MD of the Pakistan Cricket Board, during the early stages of the ICC Cricket World Cup , in England.

Tell us a bit about your start and plans for the future

Iíve been in the role for 5 months now, itís been pretty full on and hectic as you would expect. Bits of advice I was given before I started the job, which kind of prepared me very well for the role.

One thing that became pretty apart when I started was there is a big link between the sport itself and a big politic agenda if you like, from many many people.

It can be something with the likes of Ehsan Mani, who is a very knowledgeable and experienced cricket administer and human being in general. He has helped me manoeuvre myself through all that and come out the other end.

Itís been pretty relentless with the media attention on you, and the fact Iím a British born Pakistani coming into Pakistan. All the things I was told were come up, have come up, so I was pretty prepared for this role. The key thing for me was to try and take the organisation forward and to contribute.

Weíre now putting a 5 year plan together, which the PCB didnít have, getting performances management processes in place, making sure we have people in the right places - all the usual stuff you would do coming in as a leader into a new organisation. But also buzz off the energy that is there, itís been tough in many ways but itís been so fulfilling already with so many great opportunities to do great things.

What can you say to people on their fears for Pakistan cricket on domestic and international level?

I think our domestic game has been decaying for a number of years, and itís not really been halted, and where we find ourselves now in international cricket is probably an indictment of what goes on at the domestic level.

Wickets are by and large poor in domestic cricket, there hasnít been a great structure to what we do. The regions and the departments have done a great job in terms of being right at the forefront of domestic cricket.

Things change, and things have to change if we want to move on and be a competing force again, particularly in Test cricket, then we need to create some stress in the system. At the minute we have sixteen teams, eight in division one and eight that operate at a different level.

We donít have a lot of stress in the system, I canít remember the last time somebody scored a double hundred in first class cricket. We had 25 innings of scores of less than a hundred in first class cricket in the last domestic season. The top 40 wicket takers there was no spinners or out and out fast bowlers in that.

That in its self tells you a lot, in terms of the types of wickets, facilities and infrastructure there is currently. One thing we do want to get across is Iíve come in with no baggage or preconceived ideas on whatís right or wrong. So, Iíve come in with the point of whatever we do is right for the domestic game in Pakistan.

Yes, there is lots of models to look at and we can certainly learn from what others are doing, but the system we put in place has to be right for Pakistan cricket. Weíre moving down the route of 6 provinces, were looking to set up 2nd XIs that sit under that, were looking at city cricket that sits under that.

Round about 75 cities, we have 110 districts which will be converted into a city based competition. Then were looking at club cricket, to strengthen club cricket, so there is a number of levels were looking at.

Will it run smoothly in year one from October, probably not, there will be teething problems and things we will learn and get right for the following season. From our point of view what weíre not going to do is stand still and let Pakistan cricket go its own way and political agendas come to the forefront.

A lot of the arguments you see arenít actually arguments that provide any evidence of how good domestic cricket currently is and why we shouldnít change it. The counter arguments donít have a lot to do with domestic cricket and the playing of the game,

We understand there is sensitivity around employment of cricketers, a lot of cricketers have been employed by departments. The PCB have funded huge amounts of money to regional teams without them really generating any funds themselves. There has been little accountability to how those funds have been spent and thatís something weíre changing going forward.

We want to empower the regions, the 6 provinces, to become self-sufficient. We need to decentralise quite a lot as the PCB, because we do fund a huge amount of cricket from groundsman to coaches, cleaners at all the international grounds.

We need to put a system in place so we can empower the provinces, decentralise and start looking at where else we can spend money, making sure theyíre self-sufficient. Get good governing processes that include marketing people, accountants, legal people that can help them run a system there that will help them run the domestic game.

Your 66 top players will be playing across those 6 provinces in first class cricket and make it ultra competitive and create real stress in the system so we have high quality, best pitches and improve coaching, medical teams across all the 6 provinces.

When you create a whole system change people get nervous, so the reaction is not something I didnít expect. Weíve seen in England with 100 ball people are resistant to change and frightened to what it might mean for them. But when you get beyond that and put a cricket case forward about why change is needed eventually people buy into what youíre trying to do because they know itís whatís right for the domestic game.

The new province cricket will start from this October?

Yes, were looking to implement that from October and done a huge amount of work around that. We genuinely believe itís the right way to go, there is a lot of noise on the outside about arguments that donít equate to the quality of cricket itself and based on all the peripheral things.

I rest my head on the pillow every night knowing whatever decisions were making were doing whatís right for the domestic game in Pakistan. We currently produce cricketers who play for Pakistan, what we need to do is create Pakistan cricketers. There is a subtle difference, we need to create a system that works from bottom up, right up to the top level.

Then when we get the players coming into international cricket, theyíre well prepared, well drilled, they know what is expected in international cricket and ready to perform at the highest stage.

Is the PSL looking to be brought back to Pakistan and played in its entirety from next season?

Thatís certainly the plan, I think itís critical for the nation that the whole of the PSL comes back to the country. I think people have been starved of high-quality cricket for a long time, it has been documented with no international cricket in prior years.

To bring back and see full stadiums, like we saw in Karachi with 40,000 odd people at every game we know the demand is there and people have been starved of cricket. We need to start showcasing our local heroes and role models to the next generation to inspire them to take up the game as well, which is critical for the sustainability for Pakistan cricket.

In terms of the economy in Pakistan, it would just give the country a huge lift, if we had the PSL at 3 or 4 venues it would just spread the game and high-quality cricket across the whole country.

How are discussions with the ICC going?

The ICC have supported us by helping us support costs for an independent security organisation to work with us, to provide independent reports to all the countries, and theyíre a well-recognised and respected organisation in the game.

Thatís there to provide us with reassurances that weíre doing the right things and also help train us up to upscale our teams back at the PCB and in the game. We had a very successful PSL, we played 8 games back there, there was a World Series back in 2017, we had the West Indies women come, Sri Lanka men, West Indies men coming as well.

We have already evidenced that the main cities have been incident free for a while now, a lot of the issues are confined to certain parts such as Kashmir. Weíve seen through Sri Lanka and New Zealand nowhere in the world is safe now, from our point of view we have to stay on our guard to make sure that everything we do we do to the highest quality and safety.

When people ask me about my experiences itís interesting the perception is ĎAre you safe there?í and I havenít felt safer anywhere else in the world. There have been no issues at all, Micky Arthur and the other white support staff travel freely in Lahore and across the country.

Iím going to the airport in Karachi, there are backpackers everywhere, Germans or Australians who have been travelling for a month and Iíll make a B line to go and talk to them about their experiences.

They talk about how amazing itís been and their perception of Pakistan before they arrived and how theyíre now going to start talking about the reality of being in the country.

All we can do is keep beating the drum, Sri Lanka are due to play a home series against us in Pakistan in September/October and weíll begin discussions with them post World Cup.

We will invite the key people over and the security managers to come and have a look at our plans and what weíre offering with the view of them agreeing to come in September/October. Weíve got Bangladesh in January so we will open discussions with them.

The country is ready now to host top flight international cricket again, but we need to keep taking one step at a time; convincing Sri Lanka is our first step. International cricket is needed or cricket will slowly die out in the country, for us and our players to be playing in front of one man and his dog in UAE doesnít do a great deal for test cricket.

In terms of from a financial point of view, it costs us a huge amount of money to play matches in the UAE with very little return, so the economics donít work either and itís haemorrhaging us. We need cricket back, and itís small steps for us, and we know weíve got a lot of work to do on that but itís my job and Ehsanís job to show what we can offer as a nation.

India v Pakistan coming up, how's the team and dressing room?

I spoke to Micky this morning and he said the guys have trained very well in between the showers and the rain. The guys are in a really good place and are very passionate about their country and performing for their country.

We have to make sure we can keep supporting them and put the right infrastructures in place in terms of their education, training and anything we can provide them.

The great thing about sport, and particularly cricket, it is like a religion itís more than just the game itself but we do have to keep things in perspective itís not a war itís a game of cricket. Whilst it provides bragging rights to the other nation for winning, Iíd happily lose to India and win the World Cup.

I think ultimately we have to keep our eye on the bigger goal, India have done really well in terms of having the rub of the green against Pakistan and managed to deal with it as another game. Where as perhaps the feedback from our guys have put too much pressure on themselves, India are a quality side and can beat anyone on their day and we will have to be out our best if we want to get a positive result out of that game.

Pakistan v England final, who do you support?

Didnít Norman Tebbitt ask this question years ago, does the Tebbitt test still exist? The question I would ask is, within England people with Scottish or Irish heritage who they support when England play Ireland or Scotland, I know the answer to that.

Itís very interesting because I saw Michael Vaughan during the Cardiff T20 game, about four or five weeks ago and it was the last day of the football season, and Vaughny got out his car and shouted out ďWho you supporting today then?Ē and I said Birmingham city mate, big game.

My loyalty is clearly with Pakistan, Iím the MD there and trying to contribute and move Pakistan cricket forward. Obviously, a lot of history and my roots are still here in England. Iíd have to want us (Pakistan) to win, thatís where my loyalties lie now.

Lastly, Imran Khan, is it a good thing for cricket in Pakistan to have an ex international cricketer as a Prime Minister?

I think itís only a positive thing, heís a smart man and very knowledgeable about cricket. He certainly makes suggestions but doesnít impose his ideas on anybody and Ehsan has found that to be a great level of support for him coming into his job.

Similarly, with myself knowing Imran is at the helm of the country was a big persuading factor for me to come and know what he was trying to do with the country and if we could replicate that within the cricket board. Politics and cricket are the two biggest things in the country and the PCB is probably one of the most well-known institutions in the country.

Having the PM as a patron I think is a very positive thing, as I say he isnít as hands on with the day to day stuff as you would expect with the cricket but we know where he is if you need to bounce anything off him or get his views on certain things.

When youíre involved in a sport and the prime minister has played that sport, it can only be a good thing.

©Cricket World 2019

Link: https://www.cricketworld.com/pakista...oard/56998.htm

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refreshing comments to read.

I sincerely hope he can turn around things.

Good luck Wasim!

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1883 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing. Wasim we are eagerly waiting for you to perform. What you say gives me hope. So new system from October? Inshallah it'll lift up our minnow team.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1096 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Wasim we are eagerly waiting for you to perform. What you say gives me hope. So new system from October? Inshallah it'll lift up our minnow team.
    Will be worth tuning into the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy for a change. However it needs to be staged on quality pitches but that's beyond the capability of most of the farmers posing as curators in Pakistani domestic cricket.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We currently produce cricketers who play for Pakistan, what we need to do is create Pakistan cricketers. There is a subtle difference, we need to create a system that works from bottom up, right up to the top level.
    This my friends is the reason India trashed us like school kids and why even Bangladeshis, Afghanis are beating us.

Finally somebody got it! Instead of chopping changing coaches, captains or blaming internal politics.
    Last edited by MenInG; 19th June 2019 at 10:40.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1883 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Will be worth tuning into the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy for a change. However it needs to be staged on quality pitches but that's beyond the capability of most of the farmers posing as curators in Pakistani domestic cricket.
    Can have the best domestic system in the world but if selectors are corrupt and incompetent then nothing will happen.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Can have the best domestic system in the world but if selectors are corrupt and incompetent then nothing will happen.
    I disagree. If enough talent starts coming through the ranks then selection won’t matter

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    nope..if your system is strong selectors get an easy life...although they did ignore fawad alam so you may have a point..

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    nope..if your system is strong selectors get an easy life...although they did ignore fawad alam so you may have a point..
    khan sb, Fawad is the exception rather than norm. I dont see him playing cricket in any domestic set up barring pakistan: leagues excluded.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PCB announces departure of Shafiq Ahmed

Lahore, 25 June 2019:

The Pakistan Cricket Board today announced the departure of former Test cricketer and General Manager Ė Domestic Cricket Operations, Mr Shafiq Ahmed.

Shafiq, 70, played six Tests and three ODIs from 1974 to 1980 before joining the PCB in April 2007.

PCB Managing Director Wasim Khan thanked Mr Shafiq Ahmed for his services. ďShafiq has been one of the most loyal and committed servants of the game, previously as a cricketer and more recently as an administrator. He has made valuable contributions to the PCB for which we all are grateful to him.

ďWe thank him for his hard work and efforts, and wish him well in his future endeavours.Ē

Shafiq Ahmed said: ďThis is an end to what has been an exciting and amazing innings with the PCB. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Gaddafi Stadium. The best part of my time at the cricket headquarters was giving back and serving the sport I am passionate about.

ďI am thankful to all my former and current colleagues for their support, and hope the PCB and Pakistan cricket will continue to grow stronger.Ē

In an unrelated matter and as part of the National Cricket Academy restructuring, the PCB has decided not to extend the contract of regional coach Akbar Yousufzai, while last week it parted ways with regional coaches Sabih Azhar and Taimoor Khan.

ďAs part of the change process underway at the PCB, a number of decisions have already been implemented. These further changes continue to form part of our forward planning.Ē
    Last edited by Zeeraq; 25th June 2019 at 19:40.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    70 year-old Shafiq Ahmed removed from his role of General Manager Ė Domestic Cricket Operations.

He's been at the PCB for 12 years in various roles.

Get younger people in, with fresh ideas instead of these guys who have been in key roles for many years and seem to be doing very little.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things are slowly getting better @Saj ?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebat View Post
    Lahore, 25 June 2019:

The Pakistan Cricket Board today announced the departure of former Test cricketer and General Manager – Domestic Cricket Operations, Mr Shafiq Ahmed.

Shafiq, 70, played six Tests and three ODIs from 1974 to 1980 before joining the PCB in April 2007.

PCB Managing Director Wasim Khan thanked Mr Shafiq Ahmed for his services. “Shafiq has been one of the most loyal and committed servants of the game, previously as a cricketer and more recently as an administrator. He has made valuable contributions to the PCB for which we all are grateful to him.

“We thank him for his hard work and efforts, and wish him well in his future endeavours.”

Shafiq Ahmed said: “This is an end to what has been an exciting and amazing innings with the PCB. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Gaddafi Stadium. The best part of my time at the cricket headquarters was giving back and serving the sport I am passionate about.

“I am thankful to all my former and current colleagues for their support, and hope the PCB and Pakistan cricket will continue to grow stronger.”

In an unrelated matter and as part of the National Cricket Academy restructuring, the PCB has decided not to extend the contract of regional coach Akbar Yousufzai, while last week it parted ways with regional coaches Sabih Azhar and Taimoor Khan.

“As part of the change process underway at the PCB, a number of decisions have already been implemented. These further changes continue to form part of our forward planning.”
    I refuse to believe that the likes of Shafiq, Sabih Azhar would have left on a cordial note. It is just not in our culture

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I refuse to believe that the likes of Shafiq, Sabih Azhar would have left on a cordial note. It is just not in our culture
    Must have been kicked out?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    No chance.

They've been asked to clear their desks and not come back.

Surprised at Sabih, as most regard him as a good coach.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    No chance.

They've been asked to clear their desks and not come back.

Surprised at Sabih, as most regard him as a good coach.
    Was watching Waheed Khan's show yesterday, according to him the PCB got rid of these guys because they had played a key role in enticing Nauman Dar to revolt against Ehsan Mani and Wasim Khan, therefore embarrassing them in the BOG Meeting.

Lol, don't think the PCB were going to allow any employee to remain after this.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    12 years? Must have been doing a heck of a job.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1883 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Damn Wasim Khan making big moves....

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    Unknown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clean up the mess Khan.

All the old babas have to go now. Bring in new competent people.

The Underdogs

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hope we give a good administrative role to Misbah, that guy can seriously root out nepotism selections.

Was disappointing to see Younus not coaching U-19 squad for pay dispute, PCB should really be professional enough to hire him with the right pay. We need to groom these players at the youth level

Hammad Azam - Remember the name !

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What else doesnít help is the systematic destruction of Pakistan cricket by the BCCI under the auspices of their puppets ICC over the past 10 years!

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasim Khan delivering so far! Hope he sticks around for the next 5/10 years

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya whoever they are. It was to be approved by the board of governors and they had disapproved his appoinment..So whats the latest update. I dont think he has been officially appointed if it has to go through that process. Its still hanging in balance.
    time management game

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thephenom View Post
    What else doesn’t help is the systematic destruction of Pakistan cricket by the BCCI under the auspices of their puppets ICC over the past 10 years!
    attempted destruction..just like the 27th of feb, they failed and will fail..Insahllah pak cricket will rise and give them a good beating like the CT final again..

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Lot of changes happening at the PCB, so I am guessing people are now happ(ier) with Wasim?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Wasim Khan at a flag raising ceremony to mark 14th August at PCB offices

Name:  IMG-20190814-WA0004.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  191.7 KBName:  IMG-20190814-WA0006.jpg