Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=IMMY69;10384129]
    Quote Originally Posted by Britstani View Post
    If we stick to cricket knowledge and not emotions, the toss was a massive factor on this pitch, with Afghanistan having mostly a all out quality spin attack it was always going to be difficult to chase down a score over 220, yes we played some bad cricket and some decisions went our way, but at the end we dug in and won that's what matters, that's Cricket for you...[/QUOTE

I don’t think Afghanistan would have scored even 150 let alone 227 if they were batting second today...

One poster, I think it was MMHS, actually advocated putting them in if we won the toss and then chase it down in 20 overs to get our NRR up... what an absurd suggestion
    They should have never been allowed to score 230. That was very very poor captaincy. His defensive captaincy almost gave Afg a flying start if not for Shaheen back to back wickets. Afgh batting is not good enough to post more than 200 against good teams.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean143 View Post
    Yes we should have defeated them comprehensively, just like India did a few days ago.
    Yes because the script for those 2 games was exactly the same. We were always in control in that game btw even if afghanistan werent out of it until the end. Only reason there isn't a lot of wrist slitting here today is because afg captain blew it. Btw no indian was celebrating that win last week .
    Last edited by MenInG; 30th June 2019 at 13:38.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Afghan players had so much attitude yesterday.
    No respect. I have been to Indian games and honestly there is no qualms..here it's just so personal..whats the point?

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    Offenbach am Main, Germany
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1048 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Pakistan [230/7] defeat Afghanistan [227/9] in a thrilling run chase to keep semi-final hopes alive

I thought India´s road to the title in World Cup 2011 was exciting, well, Pakistan are giving it a serious challenge here. One nail-biter after another. What a team! This team should actually pay for the health insurance of its fan I think. This is insane!

Stuff of champions from Imad! What a stage he chose to announce himself! This is a global event, this is where heroes are made and remembered for the years to come. Him attacking Gulbadin in that over in which he hit 18 runs, it was such great smart batting which you wouldn´t actually expect from a Pakistan batsman everyday. Kudos to him and also to Wahab for that six and a couple of boundaries which proved to be decisive in the end. Not easy to hit the big shots like that with a broken finger. What a brave cricketer!

As a note, I must add here something. I find it a little disturbing how a wicket at the other end inevitably brings upon the downfall of a well-set Babar Azam. It just seems to surround him in pressure to induce one false stroke or the other from him. This is exactly why I gave tremendous amount of credit to Haris Sohail for Babar´s century over New Zealand. The latter scoring freely and bringing a halt to wickets from the other end eased the pressure on Babar, so he kept going with his flow. So he must address this problem as it doesn´t reflect nicely on the mental side of things of a batsman.

Talking about mental side of things, Pakistan giving away easy wickets due to bad shots, and even worse, run outs, is such a frustrating sight. They must address this too if they´re dreaming of winning the tournament. A World Cup winning team must be capable of chasing at least totals close to 280. This is not an encouraging sign.

Also, yesterday´s match has clearly signaled that the match against Bangladesh won´t come in a platter. Also, Bangladesh are highly capable chasers, so batting first won´t necessarily guarantee you a win. I really have strong anxieties going into that match. Anything can happen.

"It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1048 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Pakistan [230/7] defeat Afghanistan [227/9] in a thrilling run chase to keep semi-final hopes alive

Afghanistan can be mightily proud of their effort. If only they knew how to finish matches, by now they would´ve won four matches I think (against Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh and now Pakistan). Give this team a few more years and they´ll become a force to reckon I think. Their batting and fielding is very iffy though, so that must be addressed.

Also, yesterday they were greatly hampered by an injury to one of their front-line bowlers, Hamid, who could only bowl two overs. Besides that, yesterday´s match was a prime example of the fact that 50 overs are way too long to be given just one DRS review. There should be a couple - at least in global events, given the importance of matches, if not in every match. If Afghanistan had another review, they would´ve dismssed Haris quite early when he was clearly caught down the leg side by the keeper, and then the Big Fish, Imad, who was plumb LBW quite early in the innings. Not to be as they´d wasted their one review very early in the innings. So they were quite unlucky on occasions I´d say.

Lastly, what a gem of a cameo that was by Asghar Afghan on quite a tough, turning track. He looked to be the only batsman from either sides whose bat was finding the ball well. Really batted like a lion! A great six over mid-wicket too. Pakistan did well to remove him for 42. I really like him as a batsman. He looked so unperturbed by what was happening on the other end.

"It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1048 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183
    ..... If Afghanistan bat first and get anything over 230, given their highly capable spin attack, we´re in for a seriously tight encounter, and anything can happen from thereon. I foresee a much closer contest than suggested on papers.

It´s a match against the weakest team of the tournament, yet the legs of quite a few fans must be shaking a bit today I suppose. This is where the fun lies of supporting and following this unpredictable Pakistan team.

Here´s hoping for a good match!
    ^ http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...2#post10378362 ^

Like a soothsayer I foresaw that, especially the bit about chasing anything over 230. Given how tight it was in the end, even 235 might´ve proved to be too much for Pakistan. 227 was just about what they could´ve managed yesterday.
    Last edited by DHONI183; 30th June 2019 at 15:27.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imam played the worst shot of the tournament. Charging down the wicket and hacking towards square leg to ball pitched way outside off. Couldn’t crack the pressure of a few dot deliveries.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarfraz is a poor captain.He gets emotional very easily and loses concentration.He is very defensive,we need an aggressive captain.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post
    Imam played the worst shot of the tournament. Charging down the wicket and hacking towards square leg to ball pitched way outside off. Couldn’t crack the pressure of a few dot deliveries.
    I have been pointing out his inability to rotate strike. That is because he is very limited technically. Struggles to find gaps. This is a huge problem.

Pakistan was the luckier team of the two and that is why they won.

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Kuwait
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    We would have lost the game practically if the umpires had not given us a couple of lives.

Poor doesn't even cover it.
    It was one only I guess and of Haris Sohail...what was the other occasion??

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I thought PK were very poor yesterday; the Bowling lacked energy and batting was poor. I was really disappointed with our spinners again, no consistent spin from either and they look really average.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theariezman View Post
    It was one only I guess and of Haris Sohail...what was the other occasion??
    Imad was out but umpire said no.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Even we could have accelerated in the end" - kohli lol He is taking a dig at Dhoni/Jadhav

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan has come down to the level of Afg now.