User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1935 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

6fer by Shaheen Shah Afridi sees Pakistan defeat Bangladesh by 94 runs in the their last WC match

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1038
Size:  22.7 KB

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakistan Future Is Bright!!!

Babar
    Haris
    Imam (Maybe if he improves his batting)
    Shaheen
    Amir
    Wahab 2.0 (not long term)
    Husnain (He'll perform)

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shaheeen

Excellent win by Pakistan.

Clinical with bat and ball.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    790 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to all my Pakistani Brethren for a very good WC campaign. We might not have been in the semis however We racked up 5 wins (potentially 6) out of 9 and that in itself is a solid outcome, given where the team was during its pre WC campaign.

We have a good core in Babar, Haris, Imam, Shaheen, Imad, Shadab, and Fakhar and should build a team around these boys for the next 4 years.

Good Luck to all the remaining 4 teams in the WC for their upcoming endeavors

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARK Rafay View Post
    Pakistan Future Is Bright!!!

Babar
    Haris
    Imam (Maybe if he improves his batting)
    Shaheen
    Amir
    Wahab 2.0 (not long term)
    Husnain (He'll perform)
    Add sharjeel,umer khan,naseem shah and many other stars,yeah the future is definitely bright and what makes it sweeter is we get to see malik ,hafeez and sarfraz out of the team.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to Pakistan. Well done, Shaheen. He was the primary difference between the two sides today.

BANGLADESH FAN
    RAPTORS FAN
    LIVERPOOL FAN

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was their first ever win over Bangladesh in ICC 50 over world cup, since 1999, they never met again. so it was good and important.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame that our NRR is still below 0

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clinical from Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well played Pakistan. 4 straight victories to end the WC campaign is very impressive.

Even more impressive has been Shaheen's growth as a bowler. Looking forward to him resuming his contest against the young Indian batsmen like Shaw and Gill (who he has already played against in the U19).

Pakistan certainly would have been a tough opponent if they reached the semis.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at least bangla fans can stop claiming to be the 2nd best Asian side.. and stop mentioning that 4 nil streak vs Pk, 3 of which came against the worse ever Pakistani side in 2015

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good win but disappointed to not see us reach the semis. Deep inside we all know Pakistan deserved it more than England and esp NewZeland but our loss to WI screwed us big time.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad that Pakistan team thrashed the BD team.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    Offenbach am Main, Germany
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1047 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

6fer by Shaheen Shah Afridi sees Pakistan defeat Bangladesh by 94 runs in the their last WC match

A very good performance. Good to see Imam finally showing some urgency in the tournament, albeit a bit late. Babar is class and good to see him too bat at a good rate. Shaheen has given every Pakistani a big positive to look forward to despite all the gloom. Some wonderful bowling by him in the tournament.

Congratulations to Shakib on a great tournament. Considering his bowling and the wickets too that he took, I hope that he´s awarded the Man of the Tournament honours. A great showing by a great all-rounder of the game. I don´t know whether he´ll be retiring right away or not, but full credit to Mashrafe Mortaza on being easily the best captain that the country has produced. Really brought the fighting spirit and under him they´ve stepped up from being a minnow to a team which compels other teams to bring their A game against them too. He seems to be having a lot of respect too from his players.

Shaifuddin goes down as their biggest positive from the recent weeks. I heard the commentators say that he has bowled the highest percentage of yorkers in the tournament, which is quite saying a lot about a Bangladesh bowler. Also bowled a couple of them today to bag wickets. Not to forget here that he´s a highly capable hitter lower down the order. To hit Bumrah for boundaries like he did on Tuesday is no joke.

Tamim was a big, big disappointment. He blocks, blocks, blocks and then plays a horrible shot against the run of play to gift his wicket away. Looked really disinterested throughout the tournament. I expected better than this from a senior like him.

It wasn´t the worst campaign for Bangladesh, but they would´ve so loved to walk away from it with at least another win. Although, you could argue that rain denied them that in a washout against Sri Lanka. All in all, despite all that, they were quite fun to watch, especially their brave and encouraging batting in almost all the matches. Their bowling is a big, big concern though, obviously.

"It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A good win. It was nice to see the younger players doing the job today.

Debut
    Jan 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakistan still have it. The fire in the blood moments, the element of danger, some serendipity, that sense of enchantment. A shambolic record prior to the tournament, a hopeless start to it, yet as the world cup progressed the fans who were stern critics became fervent believers. Not the end I wanted, but a journey I enjoyed.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heartbreaking to dropout coz of run rate for sure. Can't always get away with a slow start like we have with past tournaments. I think the final table is a fair enough reflection on where we stand in world Cricket. A capable but not world class team. We need dynamic batsmen who score quick runs.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1935 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    5 July - Lord's - Bangladesh Captain Mashrafe Mortaza post-match press conference

Q. Mashrafe, the way Bangladesh played, can we say that Bangladesh is the unluckiest team of this World Cup? Lost to New Zealand by two wickets, chased 322, et cetera, et cetera?
    MASHRAFE MORTAZA: I can say it both ways. Obviously, a few areas we can prove ourselves that we are capable, but on the other hand, obviously, we need a bit of luck to go everything your way, which is both, I think, we lost.

Q. Captain, you so far finished seventh in the tournament ahead of South Africa. How do you rate this World Cup for Bangladesh team?
    MASHRAFE MORTAZA: I think the players has tried their best. As I said, the few areas we could improve a lot. We knew what is our weaknesses, but we couldn't, I think, prove that weaknesses that it can be improved a little bit better, which is, to be honest, obviously, these areas -- obviously, the whole team is disappointed.

But on the other hand, I think the way we played, I think we could have been finished a little bit better than what we did, but, again, if we can finish this match with a good note, it also could have been -- we can say that, okay, it's fine. Some luck wasn't with us, but I think a few boys are really good, a few things have been really good, but a few things have not been with us.

Q. Mashrafe, just wanted to know how you see a couple of things like bowling in the first 20 overs or fielding in many of the matches in Cardiff or some of the other grounds where it was seen that they had a tough time around the outfield as well? And then, of course, a lot of the catches were dropped. Eight catches were dropped in the tournament. Some of your own bowling, little things. But you think, apart from how Shakib played or how Mushi played, and obviously Mustafizur's efforts, these things obviously mattered in the end because you won three games out of eight. Do you think that could have made a difference?
    MASHRAFE MORTAZA: A lot of questions. Obviously, little things make a huge difference, that's for sure. First, I think I should talk about Shakib. I think he's been absolutely beautiful. He batted at 3. He had done what he could do. Really feel sorry for him, not only the whole team. The way he played, this team could have been in a different zone than what we are standing right now. I think he's one of the best performances of all time that has been done in World Cup. Still couldn't make semis or the zone that we'd love to. But, again, I think that Shakib knew what his role and what his job going forward. Hopefully, boys will step up next time with him.

And Mushi batted so well. Yes, he's a bit unlucky sometimes, but I think batted so well. The rest of the boys is in and out.

And as far as the fielding and bowling is concerned, obviously, bowling has not been up to the marks, starting from me and obviously others, especially first 10 and 15, or maybe 20 overs, which is we need to pick wickets in that sort of wicket for sure.

Again, I would say some matches was really costing us that fielding, ground fielding, obviously, because being as a bowler, when you stop runs, that sort of wicket, bowlers boost up a lot, which has not been happening when they make, any teams make partnership, we get down and down. A few catches has been dropped obviously, we can say that. Things is happening on the ground. We need to keep making that mistake, believe me, that question will be asked, but I hope that we'll look at it in future, and we'll come back very strongly in those areas where we haven't done very good.

Q. You are yourself a fast bowler? How good was Shaheen through this spell today? He looked like he was -- he gave Pakistan most of their World Cup figures today.
    MASHRAFE MORTAZA: I think his bowling, all his matches he played his bowling very good. But I think today he looks very sharp. He's bowling fast, looks even faster today. Ball was gaping a bit. His cutter was working. I think, when any bowlers get wickets in a spell, he feels more confident than who doesn't get a wicket. So he's been bowling well, those matches he played before, and his confidence was there. So he knew what he had to do, which is very positive, which was very positive for him.

Obviously, he bowled very well, and he make the difference between two teams.

Q. A different question. What do you like of the cricketing matches between Pakistan and Bangladesh? Because Bangladesh is going to Pakistan. Pakistan is now going to Bangladesh. Do you think you should play together?
    MASHRAFE MORTAZA: Maybe we should play together. At the moment, we're going to Dubai. That question is better to ask both cricket boards because we're not a part of it. Wherever our cricket board asks us to play, we'll play. To be honest, it's not a question that I really can answer to you.

Q. Captain, I would like to know how big a factor Das has been throughout this tournament. And what according to you is the turning point for Bangladesh in this campaign? Has been the turning point in this campaign? The Das factor and the turning point.
    MASHRAFE MORTAZA: This match?

Q. No, this whole tournament.
    MASHRAFE MORTAZA: I think Das, obviously, those matches that's been happening, wicket gets slower and slower, so Das is obviously going to play a big role. I'm not sure that semis, if they keep fresh wicket for the semis, then it will be a bit different, but most of the matches that have been happening now at the end, I think, for those it was true. For that, the toss has become very important, which is normally England this part it's not, but suddenly it's become.

Other things, turning point, if you go the negative way, which is we didn't do well, I think obviously bowling and fielding has been very disappointing. And positive side, Shakib and the batting that we did. I think batting is something we can take positive things, which has really helped future to understand that we can score now 300 or even asking sometimes more, we can run for it.

Q. Mashrafe, now for Bangladesh, what are the areas you think Bangladesh would pay attention immediately to improve that team for the future? And also secondly, what is your personal plan for the future? Can you please elaborate?
    MASHRAFE MORTAZA: First thing that, obviously, going forward, Bangladesh need to concern about -- if you're asking this sort of tournament, like World Cup, Champions Trophy, or maybe T-20 World Cup is coming, that sort of tournament, obviously bowling is a big issue, if we play in this part because this part is always flat. But if we play in Asia, I think it will be a far better bowling site than what we are in here.

So I think we need to find our best ways to bowl them out or maybe restrict them and tell them we can chase out. Batting hasn't been an issue before World Cup. What can I do? But I think boys are clear what they can do. Fielding, it has been concern there all of my career that I've seen, when someone's get partnership, we get down and down, as I said. This is the part really particularly the player can change. These things, I think, we really need to improve fielding.

Q. (No microphone)?
    MASHRAFE MORTAZA: My future plan is, obviously, going home from here, and I will have a think.

Q. Mashrafe, you were fortunate that you qualified for the quarterfinal in the last World Cup of 2015, and this time your team performed pretty well but unlucky. Are you satisfied with the format of this World Cup where each team is playing each other?
    MASHRAFE MORTAZA: I think that format I loved because every team has been exposed with other teams. To be honest, I think few people will not be very happy with my word, but I feel sorry also for them, those who couldn't contribute their country to this World Cup, that the fans are so unlucky that they couldn't play the World Cup. Obviously, I feel sorry for them.

But if you're asking about the tournament, how exciting it is, obviously, it's been very exciting. Playing each other, to know our strengths, to know our weaknesses, and how can we improve our game going forward, it's really very exciting tournament.

Good luck to those who are going to semis, and hopefully the three best matches is coming up.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dead rubber won't be remembered much as the Pakistan team never went for qualification. Played poorly and pathetically slow. Kept that leech Imam in the side, did not play Asif Ali.

Bangladesh minus Shakib is'nt that good. It was lacklustre today and Pakistan steamrolled it pretty easily.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Mashrafe full of praise for record-breaking Shakib as Bangladesh bow out of the World Cup

Shakib Al Hasan was a class above for Bangladesh this ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup – and captain Mashrafe Mortaza couldn’t help but feel sorry for his record-breaking all-rounder.

The Tigers bowed out of the competition with defeat to Pakistan but there was still time for Shakib to shine at Lord’s, his 64 a record-equalling seventh 50+ score in eight matches this tournament.

It took the 32-year-old to the unmatched heights of 606 runs at an average of 86, becoming just the third player to hit the milestone after Sachin Tendulkar and Matthew Hayden.

Throw in the 11 wickets he took with the ball and it’s far from surprising that the captain declared the performance as up there with the very best – despite missing out on a place in the semi-finals.

“I think he's been absolutely beautiful. He batted at three, he did the best he could do. I really feel sorry for him, not just the whole team,” he said.

“The way he played, this team could have been in a different zone than what we are standing right now.

“I think he's produced one of the best performances of all time in the World Cup.

“We couldn't make the semis or the zone that we'd love to. But Shakib knew what his role was in this tournament and what his job is going forward. Hopefully the boys will step up with him next time.

“I think batting is a positive to take from the tournament, it will help us in the future to understand that we can now score 300 or sometimes more, and that we can chase it down.”

Bangladesh already knew their fate before the 94-run loss at Lord’s, with Imam Ul-Haq’s century and a stunning six-wicket haul for Shaheen Shah Afridi sealing an impressive Pakistan win.

That brought to an end a mixed campaign for Mashrafe’s side, with strong wins against West Indies and South Africa off-setted by narrow, tournament-defining losses to New Zealand and India.

Fine margins they may have been but the captain knows improvement must stay top of the agenda if Bangladesh are to continue to challenge on the global stage.

He added: “There are a few areas where we can improve a lot and show we’re capable, but on the other hand, we need a bit of luck to go our way.

“I think the players have tried their best. We knew our weaknesses but we couldn’t improve them as we wanted to, so the whole team is disappointed.

“Our bowling has not been up to the mark, starting from me and obviously others, especially in the first 10, 15 or 20 overs, where we needed to pick up wickets.

“In some matches the fielding cost us. As a bowler, when you stop runs on good wickets, the bowlers get a boost which has not been happening. Teams have been making partnerships and we get down and down.”

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Pakistan’s players impressed with bat and ball as they beat Bangladesh at Lord’s

This venerable old ground has seen many a changing of the guard over the years, cricket’s ever-evolving story has seen more chapters written at Lord’s than anywhere else.

And so it was again, as Pakistan’s emerging talent gave a glimpse of the future on a day one old warrior finally called time under the shadow of Old Father Time.

Iman Ul Haq, just 23, became the youngest Pakistan player to score an ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup century with a swashbuckling show as his team recorded a confident 94-run victory over Bangladesh.

Babar Azam, fresh from his 100 against New Zealand, fell just short of three figures but his 474 runs is the best return by a Pakistan player in the 44-year history of this tournament. Not bad for a 24-year old, whose precision timing and expansive game make him a joy to watch.

And then there was Shaheen Afridi, just 19, bettering Shahid Afridi’s World Cup bowling figures record for Pakistan - taking the first six wicket haul of the tournament with a brutish display of pace and aggression that probably had the semi-finalists watching with relief he was now flying home.

No wonder former captain Shoaib Malik, who announced his retirement as Pakistan’s World Cup campaign finally came to an end, is excited about what those he leaves behind might yet achieve.

“That performance by Shaheen, that was the best bowling display I’ve ever seen,” said captain Sarfaraz Ahmed, after he’d posted figures of 6/35. “His consistency was just amazing, it was a pleasure to watch behind the stumps.

“The way the team have played in the last four games is a credit to them, even if we have not qualified.”

Afridi seemed a little embarrassed by the attention his bowling brought, though he might just have to get used to it, Bangladesh captain Mashrafe Mortaza rightly labelling him the difference between the sides.

Whatever the future for Pakistan cricket, he’s surely going to be part of the story.

“I’m so happy with performance and taking six wickets is incredible,” said Shaheen. “It means so much to have this record when you think of all the legends of Pakistan cricket. To be able to take six wickets at Lord’s is a very big moment for me and my family, it’s the Home of Cricket and a very special place.

“We’ve played such good cricket in the last four matches and it’s disappointing it’s nos over. This is my first World Cup, and the same for other players too, that is very good news for the future and four years’ time.”

Consecutive wins over Bangladesh, Afghanistan, New Zealand and South Africa, coupled with an earlier victory against England, send Pakistan home with a tinge of optimism to counter the obvious disappointment. Claiming the scalps of two of the final four is another positive to accentuate.

And they certainly board the plane a very different side to the team that had lost ten consecutive matches coming into this tournament, including 4-0 series defeat to England.

"It's very unfortunate, we played good cricket but haven't qualified,” added Sarfaraz, who has rallied his team impressively since a heavy defeat to India at Old Trafford.

“We’ve two months off now and then there is a lot of hard work to do. We’ve learned a lot and Pakistan will be stronger for this experience.”

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan is like that race horse which always has trouble early on getting caught up at the back after missing the break and then right at the end finishing like a rocket only to be denied being in the money in a photo finish! lol

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well played and that level of loss against WI has been the reason for the non qualification. No point in discussing the rained off match as that is neither here nor there as it is nnr that meant Pakistan didn't qualify. To all the arm chair critics get behind your team.....this team is ranked 6th in the world and finished equal 4th on points. Yes improvements can be made....carrying the likes of hafeez and malik was a mistake. In terms of Asif Ali i just think he wasn't in the right headspace but a good prospect for the future.
    Lastly Pakistan has another Afridi and let's hope this one is the real deal!

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well played Shaheen....... Pak bowling again looking potent.....only if Hasan Ali could have rediscover his form .

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did not get to watch the full match. Congratulations Pakistan. Ended on a high note!

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pakistani fans are generally proud of the team’s performance in the second half of the league stages. Let’s hope they can build on this and start putting in consistent performances. Babar, Shaheen, Haris can become legends of Pak cricket if they continue to play this way.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1935 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    For most British Bangladesh and Pakistani followers of cricket, interest in the World Cup ended last Friday, and brutally so for Bangladesh. A 94-run win for Pakistan was not enough to stop them sliding out of the World Cup, but they left with more pride ultimately, than Bangladesh who found relying on the gifts of an extraordinary individual was not enough in a sport built on team ethics, sacrifice and mutuality.

As someone of Bangladeshi roots, I attended the game clad in the national colours of green and red. I support England passionately in any sport, except this one. It’s a characteristic common in many British Asians that highlights the identity crisis they can sometimes experience, the sense of being culturally shipwrecked. Englishness is seen as an ethnicity, more exclusive than the idea of being British. Supporting the country of their south Asian roots doesn’t signify any sort of political betrayal, as the far-right would undoubtedly allude to, but simply illustrate the complexity of having multiple identities.

For me, it was less so about being unable to resonate with Englishness. This is something that is perfectly compatible with who I am. England is ingrained into my soul, into my sense of self. It is my attachment to this land, to the people, the sense of shared values, space and history. National identity can create common bonds and a sense of solidarity, to prosper together. Being English can be the beautiful tonic to many things. But for me, to support Bangladesh is simply to connect with my roots, my attachment to my family, the language I speak and find safety in. Bangladesh as a land is a stranger to me, and yet another home. East London with its rich Bengali presence is more of a home than anywhere else in England because of this dual cultural heritage. I could not find this anywhere else in the country, or even in Bangladesh itself.

With that in mind, I proudly supported Bangladesh in the World Cup. Of all the countries to go out to, Pakistan was the worst. They are to us what England is to Scotland. There is the animosity of 1971’s war, the bitterness at being once called East Pakistan. There is today however, a neighbourly, kindred relationship between the British generations unburdened by that history. Rivalry rooted only in knowing that there is a difference despite a shared cultural root. It makes it everything.

Many supporters went into this game apprehensively. The Lords became a sea of rippling green, transported, it seemed, to somewhere in south Asia. The atmosphere crackled and coursed with electricity. Some people were nervous because of the violence that erupted in Pakistan’s game with Afghanistan. What would happen here where there was a historic tension? Bangladesh is currently enduring political turbulence and many of the grievances are tied to what happened in 1971.

But not for a moment did it pan out that way. Instead, what we saw, was what would have made the generation of 1971 weep. Bangladeshi and Pakistani families were sitting together, adorned in their colours, flags stirring in the wind, chants and songs cascading throughout, flowing in a constant stream. But it was all conducted in mutual respect. There was playful pokes, but nothing that veered into the sinister. And when, in my section, Bangladeshi fans became demoralised and quiet as the game rapidly swung away from them, Pakistani fans began cheering their own players to boost them. At the end, Bangladesh’s fans applauded both sets of teams.

This is not anything spectacularly surprising. After all, these people have lived together for years in Britain. Being British as an overarching identity framework has been enough to smoulder many differences. But a crowd waving these two flags was still something, a reminder of how deep differences can be bridged. And often, sport can be a roadmap.

Throughout this World Cup, the support of the Pakistani fans was notable, in victory or defeat. For example, Taiyba Aftab is a law student from the Midlands, but has been to every single Pakistan game this World Cup. She was always on Twitter rallying support, finding tickets for fellow Pakistanis, and whipping up insane atmospheres on match-days. She explained to me, when I asked her why she didn’t support England, that it wasn’t about disloyalty or lack of integration, but Pakistan was what got her into cricket. It wasn’t about family or roots necessarily, as it was for me, but her love of the team, her team. She speaks lovingly of their team captain, Safraaz, who she calls “Kaptaan” and her hero is the Pakistan cricket icon Shahid Afridi, who regularly broke Bangladeshi hearts. There were many people like Taiyba, for whom supporting the country of their roots was their way of expressing love for another country they belonged to.

Partly it was also a recognition that these countries are, in the political and economic sense, underdogs against England’s more established might. And they are minnows in other sports, so the opportunity to see them in a World Cup is slimmer.

There are many people who might have seen this match and shaken their heads as British Asians seemingly neglecting the British part of their identity. That would be wrong of them to see it that way, as it is about embracing the other aspects of what makes them who they are. And we should celebrate that people still feel strong cultural ties, which at their beautiful core, are immaterial and simply about what binds us together with someone else.

The 2018 football World Cup reminded me I was English and British. This cricket World Cup reminded me I was English and British and Bangladeshi. And I’ve never felt more content about this than now.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...K&guccounter=2