Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Mickey Arthur continue as Pakistan Head Coach after the 2019 World Cup?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • He should stay

91 73.98%
  • He needs to go

32 26.02%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He was better than Waqar Younis for sure

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mickey Arthur likely to get one year extension

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is likely to extend the contract of national teamís head coach Mickey Arthur for one year, ARY News reported on Tuesday.

According to the sources, PCBís chairman Ehsan Mani and Arthur had a meeting in London at Managing Director Wasim Khanís home.

Hailed from South Africa, Arthur briefed Mr. Chairman on his last three yearsí performance with the Pakistan team who won Champions Trophy in 2017 and are on top in ICC T20I rankings under his tenure.

The board is not sure about taking any decision yet as the cricket committee headed by Wasim will overview the performance of players, coaches, and selectors in detail from last week of July.

In a statement, the PCBís MD said that the board will make sure to listen to the verdict of each and every person before taking any decision regarding changes in the team.

It is pertinent to mention here that Pakistan team made their way out of the biggest multi-nation cricket tournament with 11 points equal to that of fourth Semi-finalist New Zealand but their net run-rate cost them highly. Players including captain Sarfraz Ahmed have already reached Pakistan.

https://arysports.tv/mickey-arthur-l...ear-extension/

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Lucky or unlucky, Pakistan still failed to qualify for the semis. The ODI team had a 14 match-losing streak. The test team has seen some all-time lows. Not a single player has improved under Mickey. It is time to move on and appoint someone who understands Asian cricket better. Mickey at this point brings nothing to the table. Statistically, he is the worst coach Pakistan ever had.

Pakistan is going to be playing most of its test cricket in Asia and the next ODI world cup is also in India, so it is time to get an Asian coach who is capable of building a team for Asian conditions.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

PCB chairman hints at major changes in cricket team

DUNYA NEWS

HOMEALL POSTSPCB CHAIRMAN HINTS AT MAJOR CHANGES IN CRICKET TEAM
    PCB chairman hints at major changes in cricket team
    Last Updated On 09 July,2019 02:50 pm

PCB chairman hints at major changes in cricket team.
    LONDON (Dunya News) Ė Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Ehsan Mani has hinted at major changes in the cricket team including skipper Sarfraz Ahmed, Dunya News reported on Tuesday.

The PCB chief talked to a British broadcaster and maintained that the board has decided to devise a 4-year plan after monitoring playersí performance in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.

While expressing disappointment, Ehsan Mani said Pakistan team was eliminated from the semi-finals of the mega event because the players lacked mental strength.

The chairman rebuffed the rumors of differences between head coach Mickey Arthur and chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq. He assured that no decision will be taken in haste.

Ehsan Mani added that he was hopeful of Pakistan to qualify for the semi-finals but unfortunately it did not happen. Pakistanís wonderful comeback after losing against West Indies, Australia and India is a proof that the Green Shirts are capable to beat any team in the world.

The chairman told that the PCB has forwarded a written complaint to the International Cricket Council (ICC) regarding the security issues and the political banners that were flown over the stadium during Pakistan-Afghanistan match at Headingley, Leeds.

Let it be known that Ehsan Mani also met Mickey Arthur and Inzamam-ul-Haq in London.

Earlier on Sunday, Pakistan cricket team captain Sarfraz Ahmed admitted that the team didnít play well against Australia and India in the World Cup 2019.

Addressing a press conference in Karachi, Sarfraz said that he was satisfied with the performance of team in WCís last four matches, revealing that a proper consultative meeting was held with players after defeat by India.

We were aware of the low run rate and tried to overcome it but unfortunately, we couldnít win the match with big margin, he added

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hopefully that's the end of Sarfraz and whoever is made captain next gets fair chance till next world cup.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Am pretty sure Wasim Khan has given his views as well. He doesn't shy away from making big decisions and calls and even upsetting people along the way.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The change they need to make is BAN the word senior, bhai amd religion. I mean this senior tag got us in huge trouble. When the players talk about Malik and Hafeez it seems they are talking about Ponting and Lara!

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good!
    Azhar,Hafeez and Sarfaraz should be shown the door. Wahab has done good but no need to stick with 33+ anymore. Time to bring young guns in the team.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Want to see action rather than talk.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistani pride View Post
    The change they need to make is BAN the word senior, bhai amd religion. I mean this senior tag got us in huge trouble. When the players talk about Malik and Hafeez it seems they are talking about Ponting and Lara!
    i totally agree with senior and bhai... am assuming that by banning religion you mean the way it was used by imad saying "we are muslims we shouldnt fight each other" as if fighting against any other religion was ok ...

the senority should be replaced by performing .... if Harris Sohail is perfoming , he should be allowed to bat up the order and not wait for haffe to mess up the game more bcz of his mediocre talent...

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes no difference if he stays or goes. Just get Inzi outta there.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It’s interesting the chairman says the team lacks mental strength (it’s true especially if you consider that our two most senior players are soft) but thinks changing a coach will improve the mental strength of the team.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling PCB will give him another contract - maybe for at least a couple of years.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Lucky or unlucky, Pakistan still failed to qualify for the semis. The ODI team had a 14 match-losing streak. The test team has seen some all-time lows. Not a single player has improved under Mickey. It is time to move on and appoint someone who understands Asian cricket better. Mickey at this point brings nothing to the table. Statistically, he is the worst coach Pakistan ever had.

Pakistan is going to be playing most of its test cricket in Asia and the next ODI world cup is also in India, so it is time to get an Asian coach who is capable of building a team for Asian conditions.
    When you recommend we go for an Asian coach, are you suggesting the candidate could include anyone from the region including non-Pakistanis? If so, did you have anyone in mind?

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    When you recommend we go for an Asian coach, are you suggesting the candidate could include anyone from the region including non-Pakistanis? If so, did you have anyone in mind?
    Yes, Mahela or Sanga

Someone who understands Asian cricket and has played the modern game

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. He deserves a better captain.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Mahela or Sanga

Mahela or Sanga would be fantastic options if they are onboard, but i think PCB will go back to an Pakistani coach if not Mickey Arthur.

Personally, i would still prefer Mickey Arthur as head coach with different bowling, batting & fielding coaches. Plus Inzi has to go too.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I have a feeling PCB will give him another contract - maybe for at least a couple of years.
    Am sure a few more years of mediocre performances then.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great.... test team currently at 7, its all downhill from there #9 or 10 is waiting for us...

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    According to media reports, his report was very brutal against Sarfaraz. He wants the pcb to appoint a new captain and a bring in a replacement for Sarfaraz

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    According to media reports, his report was very brutal against Sarfaraz. He wants the pcb to appoint a new captain and a bring in a replacement for Sarfaraz
    wow...talk about change of hearts!!!! very keen to know what he says about him, not defending Sarfaraz but I am sure Sarfaraz must have a long list of complains about Mickey... One of those conferences he said that after Ind game he did meeting with players "without management" .. interesting!!!!!!

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dildilpak View Post
    Mahela or Sanga would be fantastic options if they are onboard, but i think PCB will go back to an Pakistani coach if not Mickey Arthur.

Personally, i would still prefer Mickey Arthur as head coach with different bowling, batting & fielding coaches. Plus Inzi has to go too.
    Will they agree given what they had to go through on their last tour to Pakistan??

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say it's refreshing to see that PPers are overwhelmingly in favour of Mickey staying. No knee-jerk reactions to what was a decent enough World Cup campaign.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hasanali View Post
    I must say it's refreshing to see that PPers are overwhelmingly in favour of Mickey staying. No knee-jerk reactions to what was a decent enough World Cup campaign.
    Mickey can stay, but sarfraz and Inzi need to go.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I wouldn't believe everything you see on tv etc in Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I am actually more concerned that Sarfaraz and Inzi will keep their positions going forward..

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    wow...talk about change of hearts!!!! very keen to know what he says about him, not defending Sarfaraz but I am sure Sarfaraz must have a long list of complains about Mickey... One of those conferences he said that after Ind game he did meeting with players "without management" .. interesting!!!!!!
    Among Mickey and Sarfi, Sarfraz is way better at his job as a captain than Mickey as a coach. Wanna see results? Just watch the first 4 seasons of PSL where Mickey has time and again showed how clueless he is.

Laughable to see people pointing all fingers on Sarfaraz. Even Sarfaraz wanted Haris against India but Mickey and Inzi overruled his decision.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should stay. Players respect him and ex cricketers are jealous of him.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Among Mickey and Sarfi, Sarfraz is way better at his job as a captain than Mickey as a coach. Wanna see results? Just watch the first 4 seasons of PSL where Mickey has time and again showed how clueless he is.

Laughable to see people pointing all fingers on Sarfaraz. Even Sarfaraz wanted Haris against India but Mickey and Inzi overruled his decision.
    Your genius captain Sarfraz lost UAe series where his tactics were bad and he couldn't hold a bat at all. Unforgivable.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as per media reports, he is likely to get 1 year extension on his contract

Hammad Azam - Remember the name !

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    Your genius captain Sarfraz lost UAe series where his tactics were bad and he couldn't hold a bat at all. Unforgivable.
    Your genius Mickey was hell bent on playing 3 pacers and has time and again showed his faith in spin allrounders rather than proper spinners. Be it Karachi Kings or be it Pakistan. Next?

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your genius Mickey was hell bent on playing 3 pacers and has time and again showed his faith in spin allrounders rather than proper spinners. Be it Karachi Kings or be it Pakistan. Next?
    I agree mickey must go, his spin tactics are terrible. But sarfraz is a bigger culprit.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itíd be better for us if we keep Mickey as head coach and Sarfraz as T20 captain till the next WT20.

Bowling, fielding and batting coaches need to go though.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    new delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a genuine well wisher of pak cricket ....... extending his contract means screwing pak cricket even more than he already has

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon751 View Post
    As a genuine well wisher of pak cricket ....... extending his contract means screwing pak cricket even more than he already has
    Not really. Inzi going and the squad selection improving is more important. Mickey has a respectable record in tournaments, winning two trophies, which is better than both Whatmore and Younis.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad & Mingora
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not willing to part ways with Arthur yet until Inzi is booted out first. That man has no brains at all when it comes to selection. Spends too much time praying, and less time selecting.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So all the news of Andy Flower was just rumors????

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Mickey should definitely stay. He has a good understanding of Pak cricket now. Give him a good captain and selection committee.

The worst case scenario would be the likes of Mohsin Khan stepping in. We need professionals who are committed to their jobs. Not egoistic have beens. The way Hasnain was selected for the WC and Abid Ali based on one match, it seems PCB is a non-professional body. There are other examples such as PCBís inability to discover a single decent spinner in Pak for limited overs cricket. The point is that the board is failing and the team is failing.

Mickey brings something different to the table. He has experience of coaching SA and Aus. While his exits have been unceremonious, he does bring in an outside perspective. IMO PCB needs an overhaul starting from the CEO Subhan Ahmed. That being said, Mickeyís presence is one of the few things going right for Pak Cricket right now.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Mahela or Sanga

I would LOVE to have Sanga as our batting coach he is amazing ... what i would love to have is Sanga as our u-19 coach... that for me would be abs amazing ... how i wish we can have him on-board.. problem is that given he was part of the unfortunate team that had to bear the horror of 2009 attack, i doubt that he would even consider it .... o i wish he can come on board somehow

as for Mahela,, abs hate him .. so NO for me lol

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1076 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    The difference between keeping and losing our UAE streak is 27 runs across two close Abu Dhabi runchases vs SL and NZL, however Captain Fantastic bottled it and failed to take responsibility.

How's it Mickey's fault he's lumbered with an underperforming skipper ?

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need to review the role of the job. When Duncan Fletcher was very successful with England (Hussain era going into Vaughan) he had considerable sway over selections.
    Can you imagine a football coach not having the final decision on who goes out to play.
    A local coach would be the theoretical ideal (communication/culture) but there are few, if any, credible candidates.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Where is the proof that he wanted haris to play. If he's being overruled then he should just resign. Plus lets not talk about his performances was dreadful to say the least. I would take rizwan over him anyday. it's even more laughable that this clown still has supporters. Rubbish captain, batsmen and an average wicket keeper.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am hearing from media sources that pcb wil make babar azam the test captain ,while sarfraz will continue as T20 and odi captain till t20 world cup with babar azam as vice captain.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: PCB asks Pakistan coach Mickey Arthur to reapply for position after disappointing campaign

Karachi: Pakistan Cricket Board has asked head coach Mickey Arthur to apply afresh if he wants to continue his job with the national cricket team.

Arthur, whose three-year contract ended with the World Cup, met with the chairman Ehsan Mani and managing director Wasim Khan of the PCB in London this week and expressed his desire to continue as the coach of the Pakistan cricket team.

"The meeting was arranged on the request of Mickey Arthur who wanted to meet the chairman Ehsan Mani to discuss the performance of the team and his future with the national team," a source told PTI.

"Arthur asked Mani what his plans were for him and whether they intended to continue with him.

"Arthur was told that the PCB's Cricket Committee will be carrying out a robust appraisal of the team's performances in the last three years including the World Cup and if he (Arthur) was interested in continuing to work with the team he should apply afresh for the post of head coach," the source added.

He disclosed that Mani had also asked Wasim Khan to attend the meeting, in which matters relating to the Pakistan team and its performance in the World Cup were discussed.

Both the officials are in London to attend the ICC board meetings.

Arthur has also requested the PCB officials to invite him for its Cricket Committee meetings and allowed to make a presentation on the team's showing in the last three years.

The source said that till now the top officials of the PCB have not made any decision on the path to follow after the World Cup, in which Pakistan failed to qualify for the semi-finals.

There is a mixed reaction to the team's performance in the World Cup. While many feel that the PCB should make a fresh start and appoint a new management, there are those who believe the board should not press the panic button and allow captain Sarfaraz Ahmed and Arthur to continue working till the World T20 Cup in Australia next year.

Under a revised constitution of the board, the managing director now has full authority to appoint the head coach, support staff, selection committee and captain of the national team after consultations with the chairman.

In the past, the PCB chairman had total powers to make the appointments.

Many of the former players and critics believe that Sarfaraz might be asked to continue as captain in the ODI and T20 formats while the board could go for a change in the captaincy for the Test squad.

Sarfaraz, earlier this week, told a press conference in Karachi he had no intentions of stepping down as captain but it was the board's call on whether he will be retained as captain or replaced by someone else.

Ironically while Sarfaraz defended the performance of the team in the World Cup, the next day at a presser in Rawalpindi, all-rounder Imad Wasim said the team's performance was not satisfactory as it failed to reach the last four stage.

Imad has time and again been promoted as the next captain after Sarfaraz in the limited-over formats.

https://www.firstpost.com/firstcrick...n-6970221.html

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey needs strong local support but not the likes of Inzi, Azhar, Razzaq, and the other run of the mill jaahils.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looked at objectively-

Mickey produced the worst fielding team in the entire competition. The worst.

Even after having YEARS to plan & prepare Mickey turned up to the biggest comp in the world with NO IDEA who his best team was. No idea who his best quicks were. No idea who should be in the middle order. This cost you games & meant you didn't qualify. This is a failure of management. The best side did not play enough games.

Silly ideas like bowling first inn big games so no idea what his best tactics were. Again. Points thrown away. Failure of leadership & strategy.

Players were picked who didn't even make the initial 30, yet played pivotal roles. Other players were picked in the squad but clearly never trusted to play a game. So no idea how to select a squad. Incompetence.

Literally just making it up as he tried to muddle through the tournament & presume to somehow beat the actually professional sides this way. Maybe you can fluke a win or two, but you won't beat good sides regularly time & again that way.

It was shambolic from start to end.

There is no objective way any person could consider that a professional managerial success in the most important single project in a 4 year cycle.

It would be only Pakistan then who would extend Mickey after that. He's a nice guy, he cares & he tries but his outcomes were pathetic.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your points are all fair and quite accurate. All those are failures on Mickey's part as well as a big one you missed, the inability to groom a genuinely world class spin bowler who takes a good reliable number of wickets in the middle overs, particularly with Shadab not taking enough wickets (at the very least as an option to have). It is so plain and clear for all to see how much of ab impact wicket taking spin bowlers make in the middle overs in modern white ball cricket. And all this especially working in Pak where if nothing else, there will always be sufficient spin bowling resources to develop, is his biggest failure in my book.

However, all that said, the major problem here is a lack of credible options. If the PCB fails to capture the interest of better internationally successful candidates, then the option will be between retaining him or going back to local ex-players, who happen to have the most toxic mentality you would desperately want to stay clear of. At the very least Mickey has shown some level of professionalism and has had a good hand in providing the best possible environment and mental conditioning to talents like Babar or Shaheen who Pak just cannot afford to have go astray. This alone is quite an important contribution going by Pak's generally disastrous inability of even doing the basic things to nurture talents. He will also be in a better position to back Haris now for good and with the huge burden of the seniors set to spare the team for good, have the best possible opportunity to actually develop genuine talent instead of being bound to bow down to the untouchable seniors. All of this he really should have done much before, yes, but it really comes down to what options the PCB will have.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey is a keeper and his approach has been decent so far. The team is in the progress of becoming a solid team again.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    His contract is finished, PCB will review the performances and do an overview of Mickey Arthur and the management's tenure.

Do you want him to continue or should he be replaced?
    Mickey is Ok. It is Sarfaraz that has to go,
    New ODi Captain Imad Wasim & Babar Azam Vice Captain (lets start grooming him to take over Captaincy eventually).
    Sarafaz Should now play as a wicket Keeper and if Mohd Rizwan performs than let Mohd Rizwan be the first choice Wicket keeper.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he deserves atleast another year

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry to say Sarfraz has been really poor for sometime now. Terrible with the bat and nil leading from the front like a Captain. I mean just look at the Captains of the other teams I.e. Kohli, Williamson, Holder, Finch, Faf. They all first make the team on merit.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: PCB asks Pakistan coach Mickey Arthur to reapply for position

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: PCB asks Pakistan coach Mickey Arthur to reapply for position after disappointing campaign

Press Trust of India, Jul 10, 2019 18:02:59 IST

Pakistan Cricket Board has asked head coach Mickey Arthur to apply afresh if he wants to continue his job with the national cricket team.

Karachi: Pakistan Cricket Board has asked head coach Mickey Arthur to apply afresh if he wants to continue his job with the national cricket team.

Arthur, whose three-year contract ended with the World Cup, met with the chairman Ehsan Mani and managing director Wasim Khan of the PCB in London this week and expressed his desire to continue as the coach of the Pakistan cricket team.

"The meeting was arranged on the request of Mickey Arthur who wanted to meet the chairman Ehsan Mani to discuss the performance of the team and his future with the national team," a source told PTI.

"Arthur asked Mani what his plans were for him and whether they intended to continue with him.

"Arthur was told that the PCB's Cricket Committee will be carrying out a robust appraisal of the team's performances in the last three years including the World Cup and if he (Arthur) was interested in continuing to work with the team he should apply afresh for the post of head coach," the source added.

He disclosed that Mani had also asked Wasim Khan to attend the meeting, in which matters relating to the Pakistan team and its performance in the World Cup were discussed.

Both the officials are in London to attend the ICC board meetings.

Arthur has also requested the PCB officials to invite him for its Cricket Committee meetings and allowed to make a presentation on the team's showing in the last three years.

The source said that till now the top officials of the PCB have not made any decision on the path to follow after the World Cup, in which Pakistan failed to qualify for the semi-finals.

There is a mixed reaction to the team's performance in the World Cup. While many feel that the PCB should make a fresh start and appoint a new management, there are those who believe the board should not press the panic button and allow captain Sarfaraz Ahmed and Arthur to continue working till the World T20 Cup in Australia next year.

Under a revised constitution of the board, the managing director now has full authority to appoint the head coach, support staff, selection committee and captain of the national team after consultations with the chairman.

In the past, the PCB chairman had total powers to make the appointments.

Many of the former players and critics believe that Sarfaraz might be asked to continue as captain in the ODI and T20 formats while the board could go for a change in the captaincy for the Test squad.

Sarfaraz, earlier this week, told a press conference in Karachi he had no intentions of stepping down as captain but it was the board's call on whether he will be retained as captain or replaced by someone else.

Ironically while Sarfaraz defended the performance of the team in the World Cup, the next day at a presser in Rawalpindi, all-rounder Imad Wasim said the team's performance was not satisfactory as it failed to reach the last four stage.

Imad has time and again been promoted as the next captain after Sarfaraz in the limited-over formats.

Link: https://www.firstpost.com/firstcrick...n-6970221.html

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Bury
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think without massive changes in the domestic arena and the removal of the post of chief selector I don’t know if any coach can be successful. Mickey needs new coaching staff and a team of scouts to help select the best players.

Debut
    May 2005
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Azhar Mahmood applies again can we do a petition against that

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    Looked at objectively-

Mickey produced the worst fielding team in the entire competition. The worst.
    How do you 'produce' a good or bad fielding side? There is a fielding coach with the team. Under Rixon, there was dramatic improvement but since he left due to difference with PCB, the standards have dropped. Though by all accounts, the players are working just as hard, if not harder than ever.

Even after having YEARS to plan & prepare Mickey turned up to the biggest comp in the world with NO IDEA who his best team was. No idea who his best quicks were. No idea who should be in the middle order. This cost you games & meant you didn't qualify. This is a failure of management. The best side did not play enough games.
    Middle order criticism is correct, the management gave Haris Sohail one chance and 4 and immediately fell back to the failed seniors after that, there is no justification for such poor decision-making. Regarding the quicks, the only strange decision was omitting Shinwari despite investing so many matches in him. Hasan, Shaheen and Amir were considered the main focal points of the attack, Shaheen struggled to find the right lengths initially but got it right, while the faith in Amir was repaid. Hasan was the only real disappointment.

It is indeed true that failure to play the best XI cost us and I was very disappointed to see that no one asked Mickey or Sarfaraz about why Haris and Shaheen were dropped so quickly despite their stellar performances in the past 18 months or so.

Silly ideas like bowling first inn big games so no idea what his best tactics were. Again. Points thrown away. Failure of leadership & strategy.

Players were picked who didn't even make the initial 30, yet played pivotal roles. Other players were picked in the squad but clearly never trusted to play a game. So no idea how to select a squad. Incompetence.

Literally just making it up as he tried to muddle through the tournament & presume to somehow beat the actually professional sides this way. Maybe you can fluke a win or two, but you won't beat good sides regularly time & again that way.

It was shambolic from start to end.

There is no objective way any person could consider that a professional managerial success in the most important single project in a 4 year cycle.

It would be only Pakistan then who would extend Mickey after that. He's a nice guy, he cares & he tries but his outcomes were pathetic.
    If you followed the build up to the tournament, quite a few captains mentioned the early 10.30AM starts and they were expecting batting conditions to be difficult early on in the first innings, thus a few teams initially opted for the chasing method. However, once the variation in pitches was realised, teams eventually switched to a runs on the board strategy. It's not about silly ideas, it's the correct thought process but the conclusions didn't pay off, that happens in sport.

None of the wins against New Zealand, England, South Africa or Bangladesh were flukes. If anything, the fluke was against the weakest side that we beat, Afghanistan. There was a method to all the other wins. You don't just turn up and manage to beat England and New Zealand any day, as India's matches showed.

The main concerns about Mickey relate to Test matches, and probably the biggest issue is his lack of knowledge with regards to spinners, it will be difficult to overcome that. The batting problems can be overcome once this lot gains more experience. As with the ODI team, the Test team has suffered due to under-performing seniors.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    You have to get him away . He has made some drastic mistakes , which are not expected from Head Coach of International Team. Tactic to play one spinner in UAE and loosing to Lanka , and then in next match still being adamant about that , shows his lack of tactic.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Singapore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good he needs to stay with the side a few more years till all the older players are gone. And all the new players that come into the side only grow around a professional system. We did not qualify for semis but I think we have a good bunch of players and can build a good team going forward. We need to bring in a spin coach specially for test though as I feel we are not getting better in that department and it is hurting us in test cricket at home.

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought"-JFK

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1935 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    ISLAMABAD: Mickey Arthur will have to apply afresh if he wishes to continue his role as Pakistan cricket team head coach as Pakistan Cricket Board will advertise for the job during the ongoing month.

“His three-year contract as national team’s head coach has ended and if he wants to continue his job in the same capacity he will have to go through the same process under which his appointment was made some three years ago,” a source in Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) told APP on Thursday.

He said the head coach post would be advertised following the return of Chairman PCB Ehsan Mani after the ICC World Cup final on July 14. “He is in England and likely to return on July 18. Most probably the advertisement for the coach’s slot will be given during the ongoing month after he (Mani) returns,” he added.

The source confirmed some media reports that Arthur met Chairman PCB and Managing Director PCB Wasim Khan early, this week in London and expressed his desire to serve as Pakistan team coach again. “However, as far as I know he was not given any surety rather he was told to apply afresh,” he added.

https://www.brecorder.com/2019/07/11...-apply-afresh/

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justcrazy View Post
    You have to get him away . He has made some drastic mistakes , which are not expected from Head Coach of International Team. Tactic to play one spinner in UAE and loosing to Lanka , and then in next match still being adamant about that , shows his lack of tactic.
    we should change him because he did not play spinner in UAE. okk then.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justcrazy View Post

I think he simply deserves a better captain than Sarfaraz. Wasnít he the head coach when Pak got the Test Mace?

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How do you 'produce' a good or bad fielding side?

Middle order criticism is correct, the management gave Haris Sohail one chance and 4 and immediately fell back to the failed seniors after that, there is no justification for such poor decision-making. Regarding the quicks, the only strange decision was omitting Shinwari despite investing so many matches in him. Hasan, Shaheen and Amir were considered the main focal points of the attack, Shaheen struggled to find the right lengths initially but got it right, while the faith in Amir was repaid. Hasan was the only real disappointment.

It is indeed true that failure to play the best XI cost us and I was very disappointed to see that no one asked Mickey or Sarfaraz about why Haris and Shaheen were dropped so quickly despite their stellar performances in the past 18 months or so.

If you followed the build up to the tournament, quite a few captains mentioned the early 10.30AM starts and they were expecting batting conditions to be difficult early on in the first innings, thus a few teams initially opted for the chasing method. However, once the variation in pitches was realised, teams eventually switched to a runs on the board strategy. It's not about silly ideas, it's the correct thought process but the conclusions didn't pay off, that happens in sport.

None of the wins against New Zealand, England, South Africa or Bangladesh were flukes. If anything, the fluke was against the weakest side that we beat, Afghanistan. There was a method to all the other wins. You don't just turn up and manage to beat England and New Zealand any day, as India's matches showed.

The main concerns about Mickey relate to Test matches, and probably the biggest issue is his lack of knowledge with regards to spinners, it will be difficult to overcome that. The batting problems can be overcome once this lot gains more experience. As with the ODI team, the Test team has suffered due to under-performing seniors.
    You "produce" a bad fielding side by allowing an effective coach to leave & then presiding over deteriorating standards during your tenure & then dropping the ball- literally- at the biggest show in town. As hed coach, you own the results in all departments or you fix it. There are no more excuses or anyone else to blame. It's not about working harder- it's about getting the RIGHT training from the right person to improve. Smarter not harder. Although looking at the team, they don't look like they've been working very hard to me.

Ok, fine. Keep muddling on without a plan & under weak leadership. Then occasional fluke wins will happen. But consistent success doesn't follow when the leadership clearly cannot plan & have no clue themselves what the team should be doing- as demonstrated by my examples above. That's what I mean by fluke- sure beat some teams on your day but never be a team capable of reliably showing up & turning out performances good enough to beat good teams regularly.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Needs to be replace, out ODI performances overall have been pathetic, the test team which is average has been made even worse with Mickey, sarfaraz and Inzi all in charge.

Time for all 3 to pack their bags. The Test series losses to SL and NZ in UAE were simply not acceptable and a 3-0 pasting in SA against a weak SA was no better. A team SL beat a few months later in same conditions.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    You "produce" a bad fielding side by allowing an effective coach to leave & then presiding over deteriorating standards during your tenure & then dropping the ball- literally- at the biggest show in town. As hed coach, you own the results in all departments or you fix it. There are no more excuses or anyone else to blame. It's not about working harder- it's about getting the RIGHT training from the right person to improve. Smarter not harder. Although looking at the team, they don't look like they've been working very hard to me.

Ok, fine. Keep muddling on without a plan & under weak leadership. Then occasional fluke wins will happen. But consistent success doesn't follow when the leadership clearly cannot plan & have no clue themselves what the team should be doing- as demonstrated by my examples above. That's what I mean by fluke- sure beat some teams on your day but never be a team capable of reliably showing up & turning out performances good enough to beat good teams regularly.
    Mickey had nothing to do with Rixon leaving or staying, that was in PCB's hands. I'm sure he would have liked him to continue, but there were some difference between PCB and Rixon. If you're putting it all on the Head Coach then I'm not sure what purpose Grant Bradburn serves.

Consistent success will come when the team matures and manages to play at a high standard on a regular basis. Currently, many of the players are in their first few years of international cricket, while the ones who can be called experienced aren't very good, barring Amir and maybe Wahab.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For the lack of better options he should stay. Fielding coach needs to change though

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mickey had nothing to do with Rixon leaving or staying, that was in PCB's hands. I'm sure he would have liked him to continue, but there were some difference between PCB and Rixon. If you're putting it all on the Head Coach then I'm not sure what purpose Grant Bradburn serves.

Consistent success will come when the team matures and manages to play at a high standard on a regular basis. Currently, many of the players are in their first few years of international cricket, while the ones who can be called experienced aren't very good, barring Amir and maybe Wahab.
    This excuse making is exactly why the team is where it is. Even the head coach isn't held to account. Mickey is a senior international coach- if he's serious, he gets the coaching team he wants or he walks. Or he ensures a suitable replacement is found. Not fail to deliver (to the point of being the WORST team in the entire comp, including teams who are true minnows) in a major tournament because he let one of the games 3 pillars slide.

Again, you don't get to use the "young team" excuse when you are head coach of a team of which you had 3-4 years to prepare & select. It's the WC. You take your best players & a team you think can win. It's not a development tour.

If you take out Hasnain - which arguably he should have since he didn't use him- then Pakistan is the same age on avg as every other team at the cup.

The performance was a shambles at every stage. Poor selection, strategy & awful fielding. All coachable elements, all management issues. Like I said, only in Pakistan would this guy be discussed as being extended based on that.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This excuse making is exactly why the team is where it is. Even the head coach isn't held to account. Mickey is a senior international coach- if he's serious, he gets the coaching team he wants or he walks. Or he ensures a suitable replacement is found. Not fail to deliver (to the point of being the WORST team in the entire comp, including teams who are true minnows) in a major tournament because he let one of the games 3 pillars slide.

Again, you don't get to use the "young team" excuse when you are head coach of a team of which you had 3-4 years to prepare & select. It's the WC. You take your best players & a team you think can win. It's not a development tour.

If you take out Hasnain - which arguably he should have since he didn't use him- then Pakistan is the same age on avg as every other team at the cup.

The performance was a shambles at every stage. Poor selection, strategy & awful fielding. All coachable elements, all management issues. Like I said, only in Pakistan would this guy be discussed as being extended based on that.
    I don't quite get what people were expecting, overall we finished joint fourth behind India, England, Aus, and NZ. That is where we are at the moment we have one world class player in Babar Azam i don't know what you expect the coach to do, looking a the squad if anything we overachieved this world cup.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not fail to deliver (to the point of being the WORST team in the entire comp, including teams who are true minnows) in a major tournament because he let one of the games 3 pillars slide.
    Are we talking about this years competition, i'm confused?

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkiller187 View Post
    Are we talking about this years competition, i'm confused?
    Please read the thread. We were referring to fielding in this case. Worst for dropped catches= Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkiller187 View Post
    I don't quite get what people were expecting, overall we finished joint fourth behind India, England, Aus, and NZ. That is where we are at the moment we have one world class player in Babar Azam i don't know what you expect the coach to do, looking a the squad if anything we overachieved this world cup.
    If you want to know what I expect the coach to do, or hold as coaching issues which made the difference between missing the finals & reading the semi's & who knows what else- simply read my first post in the thread. I've already spelled it out. If you're too lazy to do that, I won't bother engaging.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Rixon had a falling out with the PCB. How on earth does Mickey come into the picture? I don't follow, unless you're saying that Mickey should have put his foot down with... who exactly? Force Rixon to stay? How?

For what it's worth, I'm not really sure if the dropped catches situation would have been better if Rixon was there. It's a matter of mentality. Sometimes they're comfortable taking catches and sometimes the confidence just goes out of the window and they struggle. The larger concern was really the ground-fielding in some of the games, which was poor and that can be worked on. There are some weak fielders in the XI.

I think you had very unrealistic expectations for the World Cup.

If anyone had said that we will win 4/6 games vs Eng/Ind/NZ/Aus/SA/BD before the tournament, pretty much everyone would have taken it. In my opinion, Pakistan surpassed expectations after the WI disaster.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1076 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obaidd View Post
    I think he simply deserves a better captain than Sarfaraz. Wasn’t he the head coach when Pak got the Test Mace?
    That's exactly right.

The reason our UAE streak is resting in pieces is because Captain Fantastic couldn't even produce 27 frickin' runs in two Abu Dhabi runchases vs SL and NZ.

Yet his fans make him out to be the Asian Clive Lloyd and supposedly best captain since IK ! Only in lala land !

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    That's exactly right.

The reason our UAE streak is resting in pieces is because Captain Fantastic couldn't even produce 27 frickin' runs in two Abu Dhabi runchases vs SL and NZ.

Yet his fans make him out to be the Asian Clive Lloyd and supposedly best captain since IK ! Only in lala land !
    Can remember they told us as long as we are winning his performances don’t matter. Some of them even said don’t use someone individual performance to judge him.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Performance ok for fast pacey tracks.... Performance not upto the mark where conditions suit spinners...

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The only reason for Mickey to be part of the team is to help Babar in the initial stages of captaincy. Sarfraz doesn't deserve a spot in the team based on his performances

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rixon had a falling out with the PCB. How on earth does Mickey come into the picture? I don't follow, unless you're saying that Mickey should have put his foot down with... who exactly? Force Rixon to stay? How?
    Did you even read my posts- if a good fielding coach is forced out, head coach must ensure standards are maintained by bringing in another coach who can get the job done.

As for the rest, fine. You re happy with what Mickey is doing. All I see is incompetence- well meaning, but incompetence. I'll agree to disagree.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey should continue. He hasn't done too badly. In fact I would say he been our best coach since Woolmer. He has achieved things as coach he can be proud of like the No.1 Test ranking, the Champions Trophy win and the No. 1 T20 ranking. A number of young players have come into their own during his tenure aswell and he does deserve some credit for their rise. He has actually worked to change the fitness standards of Pakistani players and regardless of what casual observers may say the side is more fitter than it ever was ever since fitness started to matter.

He had even improved the fielding with Rixon but that seems to have reverted back to its natural state now. Regardless, I look at where Pakistan cricket was 4 years ago and where it is now and it is in a much better place even though there is whole lotta room for improvement and his tenure has had its fair share of low-points. At any rate, there's no reason why he shouldn't continue for atleast another 2 years.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1935 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB)’s Cricket Committee will meet Head Coach Mickey Arthur on July 27, inorder to discuss team’s performance over the past three years.

According to details, committee members, Wasim Akram, Misbahul Haq and Urooj Mumtaz, along with chairman Wasim Khan, who is also PCB’s Managing Director, will hold a meeting with Arthur and discuss the performance of the Men in Green during the latter’s tenure. The Pakistan head coach will also present a report on team’s performance since he took over, and also the 2019 International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cup in England and Wales.

It must be noted that Arthur’s three-year contract with the PCB has ended but the South African is keen on continuing in the role in the future as well.

After the meeting, the committee will forward its recommendations to Chairman PCB Ehsan Mani — who will make the final decision on the head coach’s future.

Pakistan won the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy and reached the top of ICC T20I rankings, during Arthur’s reign as head coach, but their inconsistent performances in Test matches and One-Day Internationals (ODIs) left a lot to desire.

The Men in Green finished on fifth position in the 2019 World C

The committee is expected to hold similar meetings with Pakistan captain Sarfaraz Ahmed and other people associated with the team in due course.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/ps...hur-on-july-27

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it is pretty much confirm arthur will get extension till t20 worldcup 2019
    Unless there is another candidate with alot more credentials

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    How can we progress if Misbah is in the committee who yet to retire from PSL and refuse to give opportunity to younger player?
    Last edited by Maliq_Mudasir; 14th July 2019 at 15:42.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    I think it is pretty much confirm arthur will get extension till t20 worldcup 2019
    Unless there is another candidate with alot more credentials
    It is confirmed that arthur will get extension the only changes made will beour the batting and bowling coaches and we will have a new cheif selector and selection committee.