Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 77 of 77
  1. #1
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    6,745
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    BCCI has appointed Rahul Dravid as Head of Cricket Operations at the National Cricket Academy

    Rahul Dravid will look after all cricket related activities at the NCA and will be involved in mentoring, coaching, training and motivating players, coaches and the support staff at the academy.

    The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Monday appointed former India captain Rahul Dravid as the head of National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bengaluru. Rahul Dravid will look after all cricket related activities at the NCA and he will be involved in mentoring, coaching, training and motivating players, coaches and the support staff at the academy. The 46-year-old will also be closely working with the national women's and men's head coaches. He will also be directly involved with the Indian developmental teams which include India A, India Under-19, India Under-23 teams. Rahul Dravid will help identifying key training and development objectives.

    "He will also be responsible for monitoring progress against these objectives for the developmental teams and provide necessary inputs on the same to the senior men's and women's head coaches," the BCCI statement said.

    The former cricketer is also the head coach of India's under-19 and India A team. He has helped in grooming young talent such as Rishabh Pant and Prithvi Shaw among others.

    https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/rahu...66320?&tb_cb=1

    This is the difference between PCB and BCCI.
    They appoint Dravid to help develop their cricket and look at the strides they have made. With Dravid in this new role, younger players will be polished and groomed for the challenges of International cricket. PCB should learn from BCCI and implement something similar.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    3,209
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see Dravid will continue to work with young upcoming cricketers. Dravid can be a great role model for upcoming cricketers and encourage them that hard work is only mantra for success. Talent alone cannot bring success.

    Kudos to BCCI for making important decisions.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    44,982
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My favourite Indian cricketer in history. Exemplary example of what you can achieve with hard work and perseverance.




    Also him continuing to work for the u19 and youth levels is a moment of shame for the divas Younis Khan and Muhammad Yousuf who spare no opportunity to bark on tv but when given a chance to work at grass roots level they find it beneath them. Pathetic mindset.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    delhi
    Runs
    650
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice to know that our future is in great hand. Hope he can survive the polictics part, if any. A true down to earth legend, rate him above anyone else of his generation.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,246
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    My favourite Indian cricketer in history. Exemplary example of what you can achieve with hard work and perseverance.




    Also him continuing to work for the u19 and youth levels is a moment of shame for the divas Younis Khan and Muhammad Yousuf who spare no opportunity to bark on tv but when given a chance to work at grass roots level they find it beneath them. Pathetic mindset.
    Could be that they aren't given decent amount of money. BCCI has more money and therefore more to give to their employees.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    37,694
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    My favourite Indian cricketer in history. Exemplary example of what you can achieve with hard work and perseverance.




    Also him continuing to work for the u19 and youth levels is a moment of shame for the divas Younis Khan and Muhammad Yousuf who spare no opportunity to bark on tv but when given a chance to work at grass roots level they find it beneath them. Pathetic mindset.
    You can't blame Younis Khan, you have to pay him fairly given his stature and needs and keeping in mind what the likes of Mickey Arthur are getting paid

  7. #7
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    27,675
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Manjrekar tweeted how he wished others followed suit but not himself coz his highness is busy at commentating.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    44,982
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Manjrekar tweeted how he wished others followed suit but not himself coz his highness is busy at commentating.
    You really want a flop cricketer like Manjrekar teaching your next generation?

  9. #9
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    147,381
    Mentioned
    2748 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    And then we have Younis Khan - worried about accommodation....





    ====

    Pakistan’s greatest Test batsman Younis Khan, who had decided to pursue a career in coaching after participating in a Level 3 Coaching Course in Lahore, is now returning to Karachi after he was asked to stay in the room of a senior management official.

    The leading runs scorer for Pakistan tweeted a video of him, revealing the irresponsible act of the National Cricket Academy’s staff in Lahore.

    “I have arrived here in Lahore at the National Cricket Academy (NCA). As you all know I am here to take part on Level 3 course. But bad luck is that, when I reached here, there was no information about me,” Younis said in a video message.

    “I came here after receiving a mail from NCA, in which it was written that it will be an honour for us if you participate in this training pregame. This message motivated me and led me to here.”

    “When I arrived, I was asked to stay in this room for a night, which belongs to a senior management official. I can’t stay here without permission, so I have decided to travel back to Karachi.”

    “I can’t take part in the course, where I was asked to share other’s room. It will an embarrassment for Younis Khan,” he added.

    Younis, who retired from the Test cricket last year after becoming the country’s most successful Test cricketer with 10,099 runs, was asked to participate in the course. It is being organized by Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and will be conducted by Australians.

    Former Test-spinner Akram Raza is also participating in this course. Back in 2011, the PCB removed Raza, who was then an umpire in Pakistan’s domestic matches, from umpiring after he was arrested on charges of betting on Indian Premier League matches.


    https://www.brecorder.com/2018/04/16...-mistreatment/


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    7,755
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    Rahul Dravid will look after all cricket related activities at the NCA and will be involved in mentoring, coaching, training and motivating players, coaches and the support staff at the academy.

    The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Monday appointed former India captain Rahul Dravid as the head of National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bengaluru. Rahul Dravid will look after all cricket related activities at the NCA and he will be involved in mentoring, coaching, training and motivating players, coaches and the support staff at the academy. The 46-year-old will also be closely working with the national women's and men's head coaches. He will also be directly involved with the Indian developmental teams which include India A, India Under-19, India Under-23 teams. Rahul Dravid will help identifying key training and development objectives.

    "He will also be responsible for monitoring progress against these objectives for the developmental teams and provide necessary inputs on the same to the senior men's and women's head coaches," the BCCI statement said.

    The former cricketer is also the head coach of India's under-19 and India A team. He has helped in grooming young talent such as Rishabh Pant and Prithvi Shaw among others.

    https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/rahu...66320?&tb_cb=1

    This is the difference between PCB and BCCI.
    They appoint Dravid to help develop their cricket and look at the strides they have made. With Dravid in this new role, younger players will be polished and groomed for the challenges of International cricket. PCB should learn from BCCI and implement something similar.
    PCB can't do that. Players like Dravid were never whiny, political or caused trouble. Our 'seniors' like Younis for instance, have been petulant, dramaybaaz and usually develop favorites.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,246
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    You really want a flop cricketer like Manjrekar teaching your next generation?
    I hope Manjrekar becomes a BCCI employee because then i'll never have to listen to his sh*tty commentary again.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    36,457
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent appointment. Dravid knows the technical side of batting and let’s not forget he was a solid slip fielder. Will be a very good mentor for the future Indian generations to come.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,704
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Dravid getting involved at that level is great sign for Indian cricket.

    No doubt about this man’s sincerity and commitment.

    Kudos to BCCI for roping him in and to Dravid of course for accepting the job, Given his fame and stature he could be doing many other things and be earning the same or more. Great to see him being serious about coaching. He has so much to offer

  14. #14
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    7,085
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dravid is a true gentleman. If cricket is a gentleman's game then dravid is the face of game.

    Hope he continues his good work.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    3,209
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Manjrekar tweeted how he wished others followed suit but not himself coz his highness is busy at commentating.
    Last thing i really want is Manjrekar working with youth. I also wish broadcaster kick him out of commentary box. He is absolute rubbish.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    724
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely delighted that Dravid is promoted at NCA. A true gentleman and a role model. But isn't he holding multiple posts here - as head of operations, NCA and under 19 and India A coach? Isn't that banned by the CoA?

  17. #17
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    36,420
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Youngsters can't ask for a better mentor.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    Unknown
    Runs
    7,725
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great appointment by the BCCI. Imagine learning the tricks from Dravid!

  19. #19
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    And then we have Younis Khan - worried about accommodation....



    “I have arrived here in Lahore at the National Cricket Academy (NCA). As you all know I am here to take part on Level 3 course. But bad luck is that, when I reached here, there was no information about me,” Younis said in a video message.

    “I came here after receiving a mail from NCA, in which it was written that it will be an honour for us if you participate in this training pregame. This message motivated me and led me to here.”

    “When I arrived, I was asked to stay in this room for a night, which belongs to a senior management official. I can’t stay here without permission, so I have decided to travel back to Karachi.”

    “I can’t take part in the course, where I was asked to share other’s room. It will an embarrassment for Younis Khan,” he added.
    Love how he refers to himself in the third person

  20. #20
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    59
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamM97 View Post
    I hope Manjrekar becomes a BCCI employee because then i'll never have to listen to his sh*tty commentary again.
    Amen brother


  21. #21
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    34,408
    Mentioned
    1846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Dravid is a great appointment. Yes he is being paid a lot of money, but then he has the stature and ability.

    Please dont bash me, but i find pakistani players, to be some what arrogant. Younis,MoYo, even some players in the current generation are arrogant. Arrogance is not a quality of a good mentor or teacher. Can someone tell me whats the cause of this arrogance? If the likes of Tendulkar,Ganguly,Dravid,Kumble,Virat,Rohit can try to be down to earth, why not MoYo or YK?

  22. #22
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    1,968
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    You really want a flop cricketer like Manjrekar teaching your next generation?
    A flop player can be a good coach and mentor as both are completely different skill sets. Ramakant Acharekar played only one First class match but still was able to groom guys like Sachin and Kambli. Many current Indian cricketers have personal coaches who never made it to the National team. Paras Mambrey who was a ‘failure’ as an international bowler is the bowling coach behind the success of our last U-19 WC pacers.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Somewhere in India
    Runs
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    Last thing i really want is Manjrekar working with youth. I also wish broadcaster kick him out of commentary box. He is absolute rubbish.
    He can be given an unimportant high-paying post like once Kapil Dev had. e.g examining the quality of pitches.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    3,004
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Dravid is a great appointment. Yes he is being paid a lot of money, but then he has the stature and ability.

    Please dont bash me, but i find pakistani players, to be some what arrogant. Younis,MoYo, even some players in the current generation are arrogant. Arrogance is not a quality of a good mentor or teacher. Can someone tell me whats the cause of this arrogance? If the likes of Tendulkar,Ganguly,Dravid,Kumble,Virat,Rohit can try to be down to earth, why not MoYo or YK?
    You are absolutely right. Younis has got a massive ego, while Moyo seems bitter all the time. Afridi I think is a fairly likable guy but what can he teach except slogging? Don't think PCB can afford Wasim long-term, Waqar and Miandad are already tried and tested failures. Only guy who ticks all the boxes is their PM. Aab PCB bichara kare toh kare kya

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    9,561
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Dravid is a great appointment. Yes he is being paid a lot of money, but then he has the stature and ability.

    Please dont bash me, but i find pakistani players, to be some what arrogant. Younis,MoYo, even some players in the current generation are arrogant. Arrogance is not a quality of a good mentor or teacher. Can someone tell me whats the cause of this arrogance? If the likes of Tendulkar,Ganguly,Dravid,Kumble,Virat,Rohit can try to be down to earth, why not MoYo or YK?
    I think it has to do with Respect and money. Once you've been an international star and have achieved fame and money, there is no way you'd allow to be disrespected. India has a professional setup facilitating people like Dravid to take over while maintaining their stature. Pak needs to do the same
    Last edited by rhony; 9th July 2019 at 03:18.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    80,816
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Whilst former Pakistani players sit on tv slating the current players, make videos and will do absolutely anything to earn a few rupees.



  27. #27
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    37,694
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    People justifying the pcb not giving opportunities to moyo, yk because of their ego and attitude are naive. Foreigners are not interested in teaching and coaching the next generation of Pakistani Cricketers, only Pakistanis will have to take on that challenge and rise to the occasion and we don't have anyone better than Inzi, Moyo, YK etc

  28. #28
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    8,655
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dravid is a great choice on paper for sure. Hope it goes well for him.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    10,721
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice. No doubting his quality as a player and person.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    15,478
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tendulkar, Laxman, Dravid, Kumble - perfect gentlemen. Remarkable they all played in the same era.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Mar 2009
    Runs
    1,028
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to put things in perspective, Dravid was incharge of the very first Royal Challengers Bangalore auction, he selected all of his friends and in the end it looked like a test team for a t20 tournament. Lol.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    1,137
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USaqaf View Post
    Just to put things in perspective, Dravid was incharge of the very first Royal Challengers Bangalore auction, he selected all of his friends and in the end it looked like a test team for a t20 tournament. Lol.
    Rishabh Pant came from the U19/'A' team he coached, so it's not like he's teaching them all to bat like him.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    34,408
    Mentioned
    1846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USaqaf View Post
    Just to put things in perspective, Dravid was incharge of the very first Royal Challengers Bangalore auction, he selected all of his friends and in the end it looked like a test team for a t20 tournament. Lol.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ipl/cont...ad/338086.html

    Here is the squad list, except Chanderpaul who else was undeserving?

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,704
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Any idea of how much Dravid would earn as NCA ahead?

  35. #35
    Debut
    Mar 2009
    Runs
    1,028
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ipl/cont...ad/338086.html

    Here is the squad list, except Chanderpaul who else was undeserving?
    Sunil Joshi at the time was 37 and had just married a Punjabi lady and voila a nice contract with RCB.
    Jacques Kallis a noted Test specialist.

    Read this article right from that period.
    http://www.merinews.com/article/trus...a/133906.shtml


    Key points:
    Trusting Dravid, Charu was a mistake: Mallya

    Mallya rocked the Indian Premier League (IPL) yet again on Monday (May 12), when he almost attributed the loss of his team to skipper Rahul Dravid and former chief executive Charu Sharma.
    Last edited by USaqaf; 9th July 2019 at 21:15.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    34,408
    Mentioned
    1846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USaqaf View Post
    Sunil Joshi at the time was 37 and had just married a Punjabi lady and voila a nice contract with RCB.
    Jacques Kallis a noted Test specialist.

    Read this article right from that period.
    http://www.merinews.com/article/trus...a/133906.shtml


    Key points:
    What connection does Punjabi lady has with Joshi gettting the contract?

    Kallis was the world's premier all rounder and won two IPLs with KKR.

    Mallya is a fugititive on the run, who believes everyone is to be blamed for his failed businesses except he himself.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    80,816
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    You have to also note that some former Pakistani players really do try to hammer the PCB financially when in roles with the Board.

    One former off-spinner tried to get PCB to pay for all of his family's expenses, housing etc etc when he was working for the Board, even though it wasn't part of the contract.



  38. #38
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    37,694
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    You have to also note that some former Pakistani players really do try to hammer the PCB financially when in roles with the Board.

    One former off-spinner tried to get PCB to pay for all of his family's expenses, housing etc etc when he was working for the Board, even though it wasn't part of the contract.
    Lol Saqlain Mushtaq

  39. #39
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    3,610
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best and my fav Ind cricketer. A very sensible and dedicated individual, I expect him to make a 100% positive contribution for the upcoming Ind cricketers.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    34,408
    Mentioned
    1846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    You have to also note that some former Pakistani players really do try to hammer the PCB financially when in roles with the Board.

    One former off-spinner tried to get PCB to pay for all of his family's expenses, housing etc etc when he was working for the Board, even though it wasn't part of the contract.
    Have you had the chance to interact with Dravid?

  41. #41
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    128
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was pending for a long time

  42. #42
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    80,816
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Have you had the chance to interact with Dravid?
    Met him the day he retired. I was at the press conference in England.

    Very impressive man. Very well-spoken, humble and an inspiration to young cricketers.



  43. #43
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    34,408
    Mentioned
    1846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Met him the day he retired. I was at the press conference in England.

    Very impressive man. Very well-spoken, humble and an inspiration to young cricketers.
    I am sure you have met the "Former" pakistani cricketers as well. You yourself can judge the difference in how they come across.

  44. #44
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    27,675
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    I am sure you have met the "Former" pakistani cricketers as well. You yourself can judge the difference in how they come across.
    Inzi and Misbah come across as very sane people, infact Dravid recently in an interview said that Kumble had such temper at times that he even got angry with Inzi who according to Dravid was one of the most polite cricketer.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    80,816
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    I am sure you have met the "Former" pakistani cricketers as well. You yourself can judge the difference in how they come across.
    A few are excellent ambassadors like Dravid. The majority are just after one thing - money.



  46. #46
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    1,141
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An excellent choice. More importantly, wonderful for all the players coming up the ranks. They get to learn from him before stepping on to the big stage.

    On a lighter note, just saw a video of Ganguly talk about conversation with Sehwag watching Dravid bat. How Sehwag did not understand why Dravid was leaving all those balls outside off stump. He would have hit them for four.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    34,408
    Mentioned
    1846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    A few are excellent ambassadors like Dravid. The majority are just after one thing - money.
    Those who value their self respect stay away from PCB.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,704
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Its sad that literally anything good to do with Indian cricket often becomes a Pakistan comparison and bashing thing.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    544
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great effort from BCCI. Great time for Indian cricket.
    Dravid you are gem as always.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Jul 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    582
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion66 View Post
    You are absolutely right. Younis has got a massive ego, while Moyo seems bitter all the time. Afridi I think is a fairly likable guy but what can he teach except slogging? Don't think PCB can afford Wasim long-term, Waqar and Miandad are already tried and tested failures. Only guy who ticks all the boxes is their PM. Aab PCB bichara kare toh kare kya
    It's not just technical. There's a mental aspect too. And sometime your role model says he believes in you, that's all you need to work that extra mile. Our legends want instant dividend. Working with youth may take few year before their hard work pays off but who got time for that?

  51. #51
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,704
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    And then we have Younis Khan - worried about accommodation....





    ====

    Pakistan’s greatest Test batsman Younis Khan, who had decided to pursue a career in coaching after participating in a Level 3 Coaching Course in Lahore, is now returning to Karachi after he was asked to stay in the room of a senior management official.

    The leading runs scorer for Pakistan tweeted a video of him, revealing the irresponsible act of the National Cricket Academy’s staff in Lahore.

    “I have arrived here in Lahore at the National Cricket Academy (NCA). As you all know I am here to take part on Level 3 course. But bad luck is that, when I reached here, there was no information about me,” Younis said in a video message.

    “I came here after receiving a mail from NCA, in which it was written that it will be an honour for us if you participate in this training pregame. This message motivated me and led me to here.”

    “When I arrived, I was asked to stay in this room for a night, which belongs to a senior management official. I can’t stay here without permission, so I have decided to travel back to Karachi.”

    “I can’t take part in the course, where I was asked to share other’s room. It will an embarrassment for Younis Khan,” he added.

    Younis, who retired from the Test cricket last year after becoming the country’s most successful Test cricketer with 10,099 runs, was asked to participate in the course. It is being organized by Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and will be conducted by Australians.

    Former Test-spinner Akram Raza is also participating in this course. Back in 2011, the PCB removed Raza, who was then an umpire in Pakistan’s domestic matches, from umpiring after he was arrested on charges of betting on Indian Premier League matches.


    https://www.brecorder.com/2018/04/16...-mistreatment/
    My dear MenInG, Yoni is a legend of Pakistan cricket. You cannot ask a player of his stature to come to NCA and be given another official’s room.

    Services of legends can only be secured through respectable remuneration.

  52. #52
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    4,483
    Mentioned
    1361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And now they are reaping the fruits of this wonderful appointment.
    I wish ex Pakistani players learn something from the great and help the next generation instead of criticizing each other on their YouTube channels


    Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

  53. #53
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,258
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LMAO, some of you here go way overboard in crediting Dravid. He's a bit like Gary Kirsten when he coached India, found himself in the right place at the right time.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    3,110
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    LMAO, some of you here go way overboard in crediting Dravid. He's a bit like Gary Kirsten when he coached India, found himself in the right place at the right time.
    Yup nothing to do with him making bcci schedule india a with regularity and creating a pathway for team selection rather than it being on whims of captain or selectors and actually using these tours to create a selection pool instead of picking flavor of the season from u19 or ranji that captain or selectors like.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,258
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jagatk View Post
    Yup nothing to do with him making bcci schedule india a with regularity and creating a pathway for team selection rather than it being on whims of captain or selectors and actually using these tours to create a selection pool instead of picking flavor of the season from u19 or ranji that captain or selectors like.
    Absolutely, it was all his work. The administrative staff and other professionals and consultants working for BCCI neither had any idea nor any role to play in all of that. You forgot to mention the magic wand Dravid waves in a personal one to one session with his wards to fix their techniques.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    6,745
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

  57. #57
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    36,420
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    There's a lot of ignorance in the Pakistani media about Dravid's role. They think "oh BCCI appointed a legendary ex-player" that's why Indian youngsters are flying.

    Yes Dravid's a great role model but India's SYSTEM is why they're producing so many quality players. Many of these young batsmen already have a solid foundation and are being fine tuned. Then you've coaches at the national level like Bharat Arun who imparts tactical awareness into them.

    Not many of our former greats are great role models, nor have the technical and tactical expertise required for coaching. Simply hiring former greats isn't a route to success as Misbah and Waqar are painfully demonstrating.
    Last edited by Markhor; 24th January 2021 at 01:18.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    San Ramon
    Runs
    601
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    This is lovely! I won’t be surprised if Dravid becomes head coach of Aus or Eng if BCCI releases him at some time.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    80,816
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    There's a lot of ignorance in the Pakistani media about Dravid's role. They think "oh BCCI appointed a legendary ex-player" that's why Indian youngsters are flying.

    Yes Dravid's a great role model but India's SYSTEM is why they're producing so many quality players. Many of these young batsmen already have a solid foundation and are being fine tuned. Then you've coaches at the national level like Bharat Arun who imparts tactical awareness into them.

    Not many of our former greats are great role models, nor have the technical and tactical expertise required for coaching. Simply hiring former greats isn't a route to success as Misbah and Waqar are painfully demonstrating.
    Very true.

    And on top of this Dravid is working for the betterment of Indian cricket, unlike so many of our former players who only want to work for the betterment of their own pockets.



  60. #60
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Very true.

    And on top of this Dravid is working for the betterment of Indian cricket, unlike so many of our former players who only want to work for the betterment of their own pockets.
    I think Aqib Javed working with youngsters at NCA. Moreover he said he is doing it on his own initiative. Maybe he can do something similar to what Dravid is doing.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    34,408
    Mentioned
    1846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babbar View Post
    This is lovely! I won’t be surprised if Dravid becomes head coach of Aus or Eng if BCCI releases him at some time.

    They will have to pay a million dollars to Dravid.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    7,755
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-q-zit View Post
    I think Aqib Javed working with youngsters at NCA. Moreover he said he is doing it on his own initiative. Maybe he can do something similar to what Dravid is doing.
    Me and you could do a better job Aqib Javed.

  63. #63
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    37,694
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Very true.

    And on top of this Dravid is working for the betterment of Indian cricket, unlike so many of our former players who only want to work for the betterment of their own pockets.
    Dravid is not being paid a pittance for his services, he is being paid quite a lot. Our former players don't even get paid a fraction of that.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    80,816
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Dravid is not being paid a pittance for his services, he is being paid quite a lot. Our former players don't even get paid a fraction of that.
    Dravid deserve every penny.

    Even now some of our ex players are sat at the NHPC earning money for doing virtually nothing, knowing full well the problems and issues and that they could improve things, but they won't (these are the words to me from one of the NHPC coaches)



  65. #65
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    37,694
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Dravid deserve every penny.

    Even now some of our ex players are sat at the NHPC earning money for doing virtually nothing, knowing full well the problems and issues and that they could improve things, but they won't (these are the words to me from one of the NHPC coaches)
    Then tell us about this NHPC coach who is backbiting about his colleagues, maybe for all we know he could have an axe to grind

    What is the solution? It is easy to criticize. The likes of Saqlain, Yousaf, Younis, Mohd Zahid, Atiq us Zaman are the best we can get, you can forget about the PCB being able to rope in the likes of Gary Kirsten, Andy Flower, Trever Baylis or even Rahul Dravid and co at the NCHD, they will have to pay an exhorbitant amount to these folks and these people will not want to live in Pakistan and compromise their family time.

    I am glad that the present PCB management is moving on from the old tried and test and potentially out dated coaches like Jallaludin, Mansoor Rana and co.

  66. #66
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    80,816
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Then tell us about this NHPC coach who is backbiting about his colleagues, maybe for all we know he could have an axe to grind
    All will be revealed in due course.

    Who knows maybe he doesn't have an axe to grind and is speaking the truth.



  67. #67
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakpak View Post
    Me and you could do a better job Aqib Javed.
    But I heard he has unearthed a lot of talent for Lahore Qalandars.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    966
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ha ha, unnecessary credit, the boys deserve all the praise

    https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...500439525.html


    About an hour after India’s historic Test win at the Gabba in Brisbane which also ensured India won the Border-Gavaskar trophy 2-1 for the second time in a row, Rahul Dravid’s name started trending on Twitter. It went from No.9 to No.2 in no time – the top trend obviously being INDvAUS. Since then, the gratitude for Dravid has kept on flowing.


    Five days after India’s victory in Brisbane, former India captain Rahul Dravid finally gave his first reaction on the praise he is receiving for mentoring the likes of Rishabh Pant, Shubman Gill, Shardul Thakur, Mohammed Siraj, Navdeep Saini, and Washington Sundar during their India A and U19 days.


    Keeping true to his modest nature, Dravid refused to take any credit for the success of India’s young and inexperienced cricketers in Australia.

    "Ha ha, unnecessary credit, the boys deserve all the praise,” Dravid told the Sunday Express.

    Dravid was the India A and U19 head coach when the likes of Pant, Agarwal, Sundar, Siraj, Gill and Thakur were coming through the ranks. His inputs, wisdom and lessons have always helped them improve their game – something which all these cricketers have mentioned time and again at different stages of their careers.

    India’s strong bench strength was one of the main reasons why India went on to beat Australia in Australia despite injuries to a bunch of their first XI players including Mohammed Shami, Ravindra Jadeja, Jassprit Bumrah and Ravichandran Ashwin.

    India had to field 20 cricketers in the four-match series and hand debuts to as many as five cricketers.

    Fortunately for India, none of the young cricketers was overawed by the big stage and in fact, almost all of them played their part in India’s series win.

  69. #69
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    966
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Dravid is genetically incapable of being gratuitously vainglorious. While he may not accept the credit - he did play a crucial role in the development of these young Indian guns.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    7,148
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dravid was always the humble one in the Indian team of the noughties. He was essentially a significantly better version of Pujara. He was almost impossible to get out and was the original wall. I remember watching many Pak v Ind games tearing my hair out because this man just refused to get out. He never was one who shouted about his own brilliance though. Nice to see that humble attitude hasn't changed.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    765
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A true legend (and that word gets thrown around for peanuts nowadays) who played the game in the spirit that you'd want any youngster to play.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    New Yarek
    Runs
    1,461
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dravid has some friend/relative in Long Island he was visiting. My Indian friend and I happened to be at the same function . Chatted with him for about 10 minutes. A TRUE gentleman. This was 2016 or 17 I think.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    14,575
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrIc_Mystique View Post
    A true legend (and that word gets thrown around for peanuts nowadays) who played the game in the spirit that you'd want any youngster to play.
    Mostly played in the spirit of the game, but a blemish remains when he was caught ball tampering.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    3,325
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Dravid could allow a nobody like Manjrekar to call him talent-limited at every possible opportunity, don't see how you'd expect him to do anything other than shirk due credit.
    Last edited by pillionrider; 25th January 2021 at 10:12.

  75. #75
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    14,575
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    If Dravid could allow a nobody like Manjrekar to call him talent-limited at every possible opportunity, don't see how you'd expect him to do anything other than shirk due credit.
    Manjrekar can be bit harsh as a critic, but what dravid lacked in pure talent he made up by perseverance. he is a story of the triumph of hard work over talent.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    3,325
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Manjrekar can be bit harsh as a critic, but what dravid lacked in pure talent he made up by perseverance. he is a story of the triumph of hard work over talent.
    lol your cricket-related posts tend to be more what you believe and think, so I'll indulge you



    What is this pure talent you're referring to. Is it how sweetly someone times a cricket ball. And please, don't come back to me with something like - you'd know what talent is, if you had it



    This myth about Dravid's talent is something propagated by those who slog away in a corporate office and are couch potatoes on weekends. The idea is to convince yourself that hardwork can always trump or at least equal "pure" talent.

    Tendulkar worked probably as hard as Dravid, maybe even more. But he had some superior skills - perhaps better hand-eye, greater aggression, confidence and just some basic physical attributes. So was Tendulkar more talented? Sure. But this claim that Dravid was some kind of triumph of hard work over talent is belittling to the great man. And done to make yourself feel better about yourself - let's shore up an icon to identify with. When the reality is - there was nothing much to identify with, in the first place.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    14,575
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    lol your cricket-related posts tend to be more what you believe and think, so I'll indulge you



    What is this pure talent you're referring to. Is it how sweetly someone times a cricket ball. And please, don't come back to me with something like - you'd know what talent is, if you had it



    This myth about Dravid's talent is something propagated by those who slog away in a corporate office and are couch potatoes on weekends. The idea is to convince yourself that hardwork can always trump or at least equal "pure" talent.

    Tendulkar worked probably as hard as Dravid, maybe even more. But he had some superior skills - perhaps better hand-eye, greater aggression, confidence and just some basic physical attributes. So was Tendulkar more talented? Sure. But this claim that Dravid was some kind of triumph of hard work over talent is belittling to the great man. And done to make yourself feel better about yourself - let's shore up an icon to identify with. When the reality is - there was nothing much to identify with, in the first place.
    You think Dravid was talent and not hard work, that is fine, won't indulge in this debate. As anyway there are no metrics to measure talent. People like Manjrekar who have played the game, and people like me who have are a keen student of the game have opinions, while other fans and players will have different opinion on this, and those are not any lesser than ours.

    In Steve Waugh's autobiography ( very long read) he got a foreword written by Dravid. Couldn't find two more similar players, grit over beauty, and pluck over style.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •