Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Don't think Chief Selector's presence improves or worsens the team's performances" : Imam-ul-Haq

Imam-ul-Haq

"My first World Cup, it was special for everyone as we had quite a lot of youngsters. It was a good experience and we will learn from our mistakes. It was a good campaign but we didn't qualify due to NRR due to which Pakistan fans and we also are quite upset. But this is sport and you can't always have your way. I wanted to contribute more but that's life and I will learn from my mistakes"

(Future if selection committee is changed?) "I don't know about my future and neither do you. Only Allah knows. We are Muslims but unfortunately we have very little belief in Allah. I have belief in Him and He is the one who gives respect, if Allah wishes then I will stay in the team or else I won't. My job is only to perform and the rest is up to the board"

"We went to win the World Cup but so did the other teams. We went before the World Cup to prepare, we played good cricket against England but unfortunately we couldn't win. We were upset about the first match in the World Cup because we didn't achieve what we wanted to, but it's part of cricket. We came back and fought hard with unity. Sometimes you work hard but you don't get the results"

"I believe I am still very young at the international level, at 24 you still have to learn a lot and you keep getting challenges. I am in the learning process and I am very confident. The team is backing me and my fellow players support me so I am very blessed. No one can ever be satisfied with their career, I think if you're satisfied then your performances stop. I always try to set higher goals. I try to make myself mentally tough so that challenges become easy"

(How much have you gained or lost due to being Inzamam's nephew) "This is difficult for me to say, I don't believe in such things. You are the media people, you're the ones who said it. Our awaam is innocent, whatever you tell them, they'll believe it so you tell them that, then you're asking about it also. My belief is in Allah, He is the one who gives me respect. If I'm here, it's due to Allah's wish and vice versa. My journey has been tough but I have learnt a lot and my mental toughness has increased a lot"

"If I play 10 matches and don't perform in a couple, it's true that people criticise quite a lot. I can't stop anyone, they have their points of view, I respect them and try to focus on performing well"

"My SR is 80 point something. A human being keeps learning and I do accept that my strike-rate needs to improve a bit. But I also play according to the role I am given, which is different. Fakhar is aggressive and bats with me so my role is to anchor and play through the innings and the same applies for Babar. Sometimes there's ups and downs, you have to respect the bowling if they're bowling well and you have to follow your role"

"If you look at our performances in the last year or 18 months, if one of the top 3 batsmen plays 40-45 overs, we make 300-310. So the management gives us a role which will provide a good platform. My SR can be improved and I am working on it"

(Did Inzamam's presence in UK negatively affect the team) "This is quite an off topic question. I don't think the Chief Selector's presence improves or worsens the team's performances. He is the Chief Selector and was appointed by PCB, his job is to do with selection. Our job is to perform. Whenever he comes, he tries to uplift the morale of the team. If you want to blame him for the first 5 matches, I think that's harsh and I don't really understand"

"In the first 5 matches we didn't perform as we should have. We beat England and that was a good comeback after the WI match. The Australia match was close, I think we should have won that but unfortunately myself and Hafeez bhai got out at the same time. Personally, I haven't seen a Pakistan team come back like that in a World Cup. I think the 4 wins at the end were a very positive sign after we received a lot of criticism"

"I don't use social media on tour, if I do then I will get really upset. We have our personal lives, we have families. If after matches, you focus on our eating, where we go and when we sleep, it will be very difficult for us to perform. OK, we lost to India and we all wanted to win, we were also emotional about losing but it's a sport and that happens. Criticise us on our cricket. My request is that you please keep our personal lives out of it"

"Against Australia, I accept we should have won it, I was set and I got out. It was my responsibility to carry on and I let Pakistan down, I will try to not let it happen again"

"I think England and India are favourites, England have a slight edge because of their batting so I will go with England"

"I think our players have a lot of talent and we can beat any team on our day. Mental toughness depends on how you deal with critics and perform for matches. Criticism will always be there and it should be because you can take it in a positive way. For mental well being, the people around you are very important. If you're around negativity then you will get negative feedback so I try to stay with the team where I get positive vibes. I am very grateful that in this team we support each other and fight for each other. My family is also supportive"

"A person tries to perform in the main matches which can help Pakistan. Unfortunately, I got starts and get out in 40s. If I had scored a hundred earlier in the tournament, it would have helped the team but this is cricket, you have to learn from your mistakes and you can't have it all your way. From the first match, I was trying to give big performances but unfortunately that didn't happen. Sometimes these things don't go in your favour. I accept the criticism that if I had performed earlier in the tournament, it would have been better for the team"

"I don't think any other team did as much fielding preparation as we did. I think this depends on the individual and how much confidence you have, catches are dropped in pressure matches. We realise that in this tournament, our fielding was very poor and we should have done better. It's not as though we don't practice, the fielding coach does his best but unfortunately the results didn't come. I think it depends on individuals and how seriously they take fielding"

"I can't keep critics quiet, nor can I make everyone happy. I try to keep my team happy and there is a big fan following for the Pakistan team so I try to keep them happy with my performances"

"In the meeting before BD game, we decided to see the wicket first and try to be positive and see where we can finish. But the main focus was on winning match, we have to be realistic. 315 run difference was just impossible. When we went in, the wicket was difficult, it was quite slow and the ball wasn't coming onto the bat. We couldn't get into the flow. When I was batting with Babar, we had to fight for our runs. Bangladesh isn't a small team anymore, they played well and are quite professional and good team. Our main focus was to win the match, the wicket didn't allow us to make a score like 500"

"Our job is to perform under any coach and respect him and try to win matches"

"It's true that Rohit Sharma hit 5 hundreds and Shakib Al Hasan had very good performances. This was my first World Cup, same with Babar, we're both 23/24. It will take some time. Rohit Sharma has 200+ matches, Babar has 60-70 matches so it's a little early for a comparison. You need experience and you learn from your mistakes and gain maturity. It's not as though you play 60 matches and start performing like Virat Kohli. They also had many mistakes and lack of performances but they have gained confidence, they have such a good system and since 3-4 years, their openers didn't change. Now you can see their performances. If our players get backing and support from the media and people, good performances are possible"

"No one intends to bat poorly or bowl badly, we all work very hard and we feel bad when we lose. People get upset, but we're playing and it's our responsibility. If I sit here and say this after 200 ODIs or after 100 ODIs that oh I made a mistake, that would be wrong but right now we are trying to remove the mistakes and perform as well as we can"

Babar Azam

"It was my first World Cup and it was quite good for myself and the team. We came back well, everyone performed and individually, it was quite a good World Cup for me. I gained quite a lot of experience from it and learnt a few things about what to improve on"

"Other teams also came to play, unfortunately we couldn't apply ourselves in the first game which led to our NRR suffering"

"After we lose a match to India, no matter what we do, it's painted negatively. If we go anywhere, it's negative, why are we doing this, why are we eating that. This is natural after we lose to India. The media started making a big deal about the yawn, all of us yawn and even during batting, it's not a big deal but you the media make a big deal of it"

"I think England should win the World Cup, they have a good batting lineup and they can chase also. Their openers give them good stands"

"We don't know about India's loss, we were focused on winning our games. We were all focused on giving our 100% and we weren't worried about other results"

"The senior players in our team never let us feel like they are senior, we are all very friendly. They also helped us and gave us feedback and guided us during situations. I don't think any of these 15 players were relu kattas, everyone was selected on their performances for the last 2 years"

"In the Australia match, I shouldn't have gotten out, I played a bad shot. If I had stayed there, we might have gotten good result"

"I am pleased to have broken the record of a legend like Javed Miandad and I feel proud. I wanted to perform well in the World Cup for Pakistan"

"I have gotten out in 40s and 90s sometimes, I try to focus more then because if you go with the flow, you can give away your wicket. I think I make mistakes in the 40s and 90s often, this is a learning process for me, sometimes you succeed and sometimes you don't"

"The talk of grouping happened after the India match, there was nothing before that. As I said, people get after us after the India match. People started talking about grouping and then when we started winning, no one said anything. If 3-4 of us are going somewhere to eat food sitting somewhere, they say there is grouping. This was all due to the India match, there is no such thing. We are all together"
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 9th July 2019 at 20:02.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good comments by Imam generally - except the comment about the chief selector and their personal lives.

These guys still don't understand that they aren't vacationing in England - just because you aren't in the middle of a match doesn't mean you can do whatever you want on off days. You cant just go eat whatever you want, or do anything you want with your time while you are on tour. And he should've just excused himself from the Inzamam questions rather than giving suck a weak answer

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Imam will need to live with this and i think the press should grow up and stop asking the same question.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is just trying to defend his "chachu" here. Chief selector picks the team or pool in case it missed bhatija! Inzi was the one who took the likes of his favourite Shoaib Malik to the WC. Many other selections have always been questionable.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    poor chap, he did much better than most of Pakistani batsmen, behind Babar and Harris but got most of the stick. Fail to understand how Fakhar, Haffez, Malik, Sarfraz and Asif Ali could get away with the shocking performance with the bat and Imam getting all the heat. I really really hope that cricketing sense prevails and he is continued as an opener and given more confidence. A good batting coach can help him improve his batting weaknesses (rotation of the strike)...

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The chief selector job role doesn’t require him being around the team on tour. Sarfraz has confirmed Inzi was playing a part in selection as well.

I don’t trust Inzi. He needs to go.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Poor decision by PCB to put Imam up in front of the media.

It was obvious they were going to ask him lots of questions regarding his uncle, most of which were outside his remit.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Best opener in the country.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    The chief selector job role doesn’t require him being around the team on tour. Sarfraz has confirmed Inzi was playing a part in selection as well.

I don’t trust Inzi. He needs to go.
    Indeed the most toxic character in the Pakistan set-up, just like he was during his captaincy days.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Future captain, no?

I’m impressed by how he handled all the questions.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inzi should have offered to resign when Imam was in international contention. Best avoid any nepotism allegations.

I am sure he would have found another cushy role with PCB

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Chief selector can have a vacation in england on tax payers $$$ nice.. Chief selector is blessed

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    Future captain, no?

I’m impressed by how he handled all the questions.
    Won't mind him as the vice-captain to Babar.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Imam is a very underrated player for me. He gets a lot of harsh criticism but I think he shows a lot of maturity and is a promising batsmen. I agree with @Saj, the media was always going to be pathetic and ask constant questions about Inzi and it's very unfair on Imam. Unfortunately journalism these days is not the greatest.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Indeed the most toxic character in the Pakistan set-up, just like he was during his captaincy days.
    He needs to go. MMHS once made a comment that Inzi knew he would be Pakistan captain one day but still didn’t bother to learn English. That just sums up his lazy attitude and I don’t even need to get into how he failed to introduce any new players during his captaincy stint.

Pakistan cricket will never move forward with Inzi as selector.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Fakhar gets away with a lot of non performance in comparison to Imam who has done pretty well and is showing improvement with every game and series

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't mind him as the vice-captain to Babar.
    They both know each other since their U-16 days so wouldn’t be a bad choice.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

It was obvious they were going to ask him lots of questions regarding his uncle, most of which were outside his remit.
    Sounds like from the answers he handled it well.
    I like how he is , this crap will make him mentally strong.
    And he isn't the type who will shy away, I like that

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imam is a terrible player!
    Average 26,i think, in the world cup before the bangladesh game!
    This showed his true aquat!
    Should have had ahsan ali or umar akmal opening instead of this guy!
    Shajeel should also be available soon!

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Why do the players feel the need to face so much media and questions?

Stupid really.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but him meddling with team selection does

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Occupied Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain caveman View Post
    Imam is a terrible player!
    Average 26,i think, in the world cup before the bangladesh game!
    This showed his true aquat!
    Should have had ahsan ali or umar akmal opening instead of this guy!
    Shajeel should also be available soon!
    What is Fakhar's avg without that match loosing indian inning?

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    These types of questions are the pedigree of Pakistani sports journalism.
    Imam should continue to bash these ppl every time they ask him stuff like this.
    On a positive note, I like that the PCB has made key players available to the press. Becomes more difficult to make up saas bahu gossip.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    United States
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is captain material, i dont care what anyone else says. Only if he can back it up with good and consistent performances...........

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

But you gotta give it to Imam for answering these questions with courage. Look at Babar on the other hand. Looks so timid in comparison to Imam. Couldnt bring himself to string a couple of sentences together when asked about Inzi's presence in first 5 matches. Imam does look a mentally tough lad.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is mentally tough. He will become better player when his uncle will retire i like that. He should be made captain.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    But you gotta give it to Imam for answering these questions with courage. Look at Babar on the other hand. Looks so timid in comparison to Imam. Couldnt bring himself to string a couple of sentences together when asked about Inzi's presence in first 5 matches. Imam does look a mentally tough lad.
    Spoke well, yes.

But why put him through that when it could have been avoided.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    668 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Spoke well, yes.

But why put him through that when it could have been avoided.
    Indeed could have been avoided if he wasnt selected in the team.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being around is ok as far as he doesn't interfere in the selection of playing XI. Sarfraz wanted to play Harris and Shaheen in place of Malik and Hassan vs India but Inzi forced him to play the Malik and Hassan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    These types of questions are the pedigree of Pakistani sports journalism.
    Imam should continue to bash these ppl every time they ask him stuff like this.
    On a positive note, I like that the PCB has made key players available to the press. Becomes more difficult to make up saas bahu gossip.
    If anyone has the patience to watch the whole presser, it's quite noticeable that there's barely any half-decent questions being asked.

Same for the Imad and Shadab presser, where Imad was being asked about his marriage, etc.

But yes, good of the PCB to arrange these pressers, and that too in 3 separate major cities. A few journos who usually hound players at airports or chase them around their houses trying to get some comments are now complaining as to why these pressers are being held... presumably they find the chasing around to be some form of entertainment.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of the media members come off as illiterate with the questions they ask the players, to be honest. And it's shockingly weird how often these Cricketers get criticized for non-cricketing reasons.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Abid Ali needs to be given a fair chance. But Imam has grown on me. I can’t fault 7 ODI centuries in 37 games. That’s phenomenal!

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To rate this opener is a reflection of your cricket knowledge and aptitude

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Abid Ali needs to be given a fair chance. But Imam has grown on me. I can’t fault 7 ODI centuries in 37 games. That’s phenomenal!
    Abid Ali is quite old, not super fit and he is not really an aggressive hitter himself. There's a reason he hasn't even played PSL. People who think Abid Ali is an aggressive opener based on his debut century really don't follow domestic cricket.