Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"It's a culmination of four years of hard work, dedication, a lot of planning" : Eoin Morgan

Transcript via ICC.

Q. Can you sum up what this game means to you and to English cricket?

EOIN MORGAN:
    Yeah, it means a huge amount to me and everybody in the changing room. It's a culmination of four years of hard work, dedication, a lot of planning and it presents a huge opportunity to go on and try and win a World Cup.

I think for everybody around the country, the support we've had throughout has been unquestionable and that's -- as a team, that is, you know, it makes you feel extremely lucky to be part of a team that has that sort of support.

I think it presents another opportunity for both teams and the ICC to sell the game on a huge platform, two very strong sides, hopefully produce a really good game of cricket. It's on terrestrial television around the country and obviously various outlets online. It presents a huge opportunity for us to sell this great game.

Q. How do you feel personally today? It is a familiar venue but very different circumstances. How do you ensure that that doesn't distract and you maintain positive?

EOIN MORGAN:
    I think -- well, I certainly feel pretty relaxed. It is nice to be home. I'm also very excited about tomorrow.

We're going to enjoy the game regardless. We're going to try and take in as much as we can, it's a World Cup Final, and we're not going to shy away from that. As long as anything doesn't affect performance, we're going to try and take it in.

Q. You mentioned that national excitement. Has it manifested itself in any way in the last couple of days since you have made the final?

EOIN MORGAN:
    Not really. I think just a general level of excitement, messages you get through, people you meet on the street. Yeah it's pretty cool (smiling).

Q. What would be your final words to the players tomorrow before you step out?

EOIN MORGAN:
    I always get asked this before games. You never know what you are going to say until the morning of the game. You have to go in and see what the mood is like in the camp. If it's down, you need to pick it up. If it is too high, you need to bring it down. The majority of the times, over the last three or four games, it's been right on point, I haven't had a lot to do.

Q. Is everyone fit? Is Jonny Bairstow fit?

EOIN MORGAN:
    Yeah, everybody is fit, so that's good news.

Q. Do you think you can play as well again as you did against Australia and secondly, do you think you will need to?

EOIN MORGAN:
    I think we will need to, yeah. New Zealand are an extremely tough side, with a lot of experience, a lot of skill. They were the best side in the group stage and they improved, very similar to us, from the group stage to the semifinal performance. So we are striving to improve on our performance. No doubt they will.

Q. You have been playing knockout cricket since the game against India, has that helped you hone your approach and mindset going into tomorrow's game?

EOIN MORGAN:
    I think it has helped us because it's lend itself to actually being more positive and aggressive and a bit smarter about how we play and it's sort of been the last-chance saloon since Durham, which has been nice in a way.

Q. There was a nice little reunion out there just then with you and Brendon. What did you have a chat about? Is there a kind of nice symmetry I guess in the fact that it is you and New Zealand, after they were so influential in this whole rejuvenation?

EOIN MORGAN:
    Yeah, we just caught up outside. Brendon is a very good friend of mine. He spoke about us making the final and playing New Zealand because he had to fly home for the semifinal, but he was flying back if New Zealand made it, so he's delighted that they did and yeah, he's in good form.

Q. What are the weaknesses in Kane Williamson's game?

EOIN MORGAN:
    His backing up, I think (smiling).

Q. I was going to ask about you Brendon McCullum as well. How much integral has he been in this team's renaissance since the last World Cup?

EOIN MORGAN:
    I think he has had quite a bit to do with it. You could say about world cricket. We are close mates and he's taught me a lot about leadership and I think in 2015 the way that New Zealand played, very similar to the way they are playing at the moment. They proved to everybody that you can perform at the highest level and get to the top by being yourselves and not trying to be somebody else, or a different team, or be somebody that is a bit of a novelty for everybody else, so that's quite cool.

Q. You have only used 13 players in the tournament, so that's two players who haven't played, another one or two players who didn't make the squad who have played a big role, your family and friends have helped. Tell us a bit about -- there are only going to be 11 people on the park tomorrow, but you are doing it for a lot of different people?

EOIN MORGAN:
    Absolutely. I think people up-and-down the country as well. I think the two guys that haven't played a part have been brilliant for us. We always talk about the squad. We never talk about the final 11. The final 11 is extremely difficult to get into. So having that responsibility of going out and doing what you do is more important.

So what it means to friends and family is unbelievable. We had a lot of friends and family in the changing room after the semifinal because they are as important to our success as it is to us and everybody around the country, so it is important to share it.

Q. It looks pretty green out there, surprisingly green. You know the conditions well. Do you have any thoughts on that? Is it a bowl first wicket?

EOIN MORGAN:
    From afar, it looks greener than it is. There isn't a lot of grass on the wicket. So it probably exaggerates how it will look. I think it will look different -- if the sun comes out for a few hours, it will look different in a few hours, it'll go whiter and burn it off.

Q. Bowl first?

EOIN MORGAN:
    Depends on how hard the wicket gets.

Q. A World Cup Final for a cricket match doesn't get much bigger than this. Have you allowed yourselves to imagine lifting that trophy tomorrow and if it's an England win, what does that mean for the game of cricket in this country?

EOIN MORGAN:
    I haven't allowed myself to think about lifting the trophy. Cricket and sport in particular is very fickle. If you ever get ahead, it always seems to bite you in the backside, so for us to win it, I think around the country it would be awesome, great for the game.

I think quite iconic in certainly young kids' memory if they are watching it at home and we manage to lift the trophy, it would be awesome.

Q. We are seeing what Jofra Archer brings on the field of play. Tell us a bit about what he is like off the field of play and secondly, with the game tomorrow being on free-to-air television, tell us a bit more how important you think it is the governors that run the game capitalise on what is sure to be a huge viewing audience tomorrow?

EOIN MORGAN:
    Yeah, Jofra's a pretty relaxed guy, very cool. Probably not the coolest in the changing room. Chris Woakes has that mantra. But yeah he is a very relaxed guy. He enjoys doing not a lot, relaxing, enjoys playing a lot of Xbox. He's a young guy. He is enjoying his cricket.

I think it is important, regardless of if it's terrestrial or what outlet, that whoever the target audience is and certainly for us or the ICC it should be young kids, if that is online, doing it online, getting hopefully more exposure to the players and more insight into what cricket is about and what principles and, I suppose, disciplines it brings to young people being involved in it.

Q. You have spoken a lot about how your team has changed over the last four years and modelling yourself off Brendon and that sort of stuff. How do you think the Black Caps team have changed in that time and how have they changed from Brendon's captaincy to Kane's captaincy?

EOIN MORGAN:
    I think the two boys have two different styles of captaincy. I think that's important for any leader. I think if they are trying to be somebody else it's never going to work. You have to be yourself otherwise the messages that you give to your team, or anything you try and do isn't authentic and people spot that straightaway.

I think the progress that they have made or continue strides that they have made they have just been on top of their game since, extremely experienced players who have continually challenged the best in the world and had success doing it.

Q. New Zealand, apart from Afghanistan, are the only side that haven't scored 300 in this tournament, but they are also the side that have defended a lot of 240s, 280s. How do you look at this particular equation between bat and ball about what your opponents are doing?

EOIN MORGAN:
    I think in general throughout the tournament the scores have been a lot lower than they have previously here in the last three or four years. Us adjusting to that has been harder work than it normally is.

New Zealand have done it brilliantly and Lord's isn't ever a high-scoring ground so I'd say tomorrow isn't going to be a high-scoring ground so it will be a bit of a battle.

Q. You say it will be a bit of a battle. What impresses you most about New Zealand and where do you see the game being won and lost tomorrow?

EOIN MORGAN:
    It's difficult to say because they are such a stable side. They offer threats throughout with the ball and they're just a stable side with the bat. I think there will be times throughout the game tomorrow where it could be won or lost, but I think it will be a really good game of cricket.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 14th July 2019 at 01:10.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Morgan not allowing himself to dream of lifting the World Cup ahead of England’s final with New Zealand

Bobby Moore, Martin Johnson and Heather Knight are part of a select group to have lifted the World Cup in England colours but on the eve of the World Cup final Eoin Morgan has not allowed himself to dream of doing the same.

Morgan will lead England in their first ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup final in 27 years against New Zealand at Lord’s, hoping to match England’s men’s football skipper Moore in 1966 and England women’s cricket captain Knight two years ago in lifting the trophy on home soil.

Following the emphatic victory over Australia in the semi-finals, and as the world’s No.1 team, England enter the game as favourites against the Black Caps.

However, despite that, Morgan is refusing even to consider what it might feel like to lead England to World Cup glory.

He said: “I haven't allowed myself to think about lifting the trophy. Cricket and sport in particular is very fickle.

“If you ever get ahead, it always seems to bite you in the backside.

“For us to win it, I think around the country it would be awesome, great for the game.

“It means a huge amount to me and everybody in the changing room (to be in the final).

“It's a culmination of four years of hard work, dedication, a lot of planning and it presents a huge opportunity to go on and try and win a World Cup.

“I think for everybody around the country, the support we've had throughout has been unquestionable and it makes you feel extremely lucky to be part of a team that has that sort of support.”

England have built their success over the last four years on the foundation of aggressive batting and high scoring, in many ways, following the example of New Zealand four years ago.

Morgan has made no secret of his close relationship with former Black Caps skipper Brendon McCullum, with whom he played at Lord’s for Middlesex and who spearheaded that Kiwi style, and the pair caught up on the eve of the final at the Home of Cricket.

Morgan added: “We just caught up outside. Brendon is a very good friend of mine.

“He spoke about us making the final and playing New Zealand because he had to fly home for the semi-final, but he was flying back if New Zealand made it, so he's delighted that they did and he's in good form.

“I think he has had quite a bit to do with (our progress). You could say about world cricket. We are close mates and he's taught me a lot about leadership and I think in 2015 the way that New Zealand played, very similar to the way they are playing at the moment.

“They proved to everybody that you can perform at the highest level and get to the top by being yourselves and not trying to be somebody else, or a different team.”

Morgan confirmed that England would be picking from a full squad in the final, with Jonny Bairstow good to go despite a moment of concern in the semi-final success over Australia.

And the skipper also played down fears about the green nature of the wicket, although he expects a relatively low-scoring final.

He added: “I think in general throughout the tournament the scores have been a lot lower than they have previously (in England) in the last three or four years. Adjusting to that has been harder work than it normally is.

“New Zealand have done it brilliantly and Lord's isn't ever a high-scoring ground so I'd say it will be a bit of a battle.”

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Come along away in 4 years.

Totally revamped their approach and playing style now and they really are brilliant to watch.

They remind me of the Aussies at their best, in that just when you thought you had them in trouble, the likes of Gilchrist etc would come in and start smashing the ball all over the park.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England shows what proper planning can do to a team. They figured out a method 4 years ago and stuck with the method consistently. There were hiccups but they trusted their abilities and method.

Well done. Definitely a lesson for many other teams.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Eoin Morgan profile: England’s captain looking to end the journey that began 1588 days ago

It is 10,000 miles and change between the bowels of the Adelaide Oval and the Long Room at Lord’s but it doesn't matter where your journey begins, so long as you begin it.

And exactly 1588 days since England’s ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup defeat by Bangladesh, which effectively ended their 2015 campaign, they are back on their sport’s biggest stage for the first time in 27 years.

How Eoin Morgan has made every one of those 38,112 hours count, remodelling his team, alongside coach Trevor Bayliss, leading by brilliant example and imbibing a spirit of swaggering resilience.

He has stood in the deepest valley, learned the lessons and is now just one step from the magnificent mountain top. It’s not quite the greatest comeback since Lazarus but it’s close.

Go back at look at how Morgan faced the media in Adelaide and compare to his demeanour in his pre-final press conference here in London.

The two occasions couldn’t be more different, one shadowed with sadness, the other brimming with optimism.

But the England skipper lives that Kipling line of treating the imposters of triumph and disaster both the same.

That is the key to the strange dichotomy of this Captain Morgan, swashbuckling and cavalier on the field and unerringly level-headed off it, a switch he flawlessly flicks every time he crosses the boundary rope.

He wants to win but he doesn’t fear to lose, it’s proved a potent cocktail for success.

Morgan likes to talk about learning more from failures than successes, his first Cricket World Cup, in the green of Ireland 12 years ago, saw him make 91 runs from nine innings.

Now every team seems to have their designated big hitters, who swing from the hip and pepper the boundary.

But when Morgan made his England debut it was like they’d broken the mould, conventional wisdoms were challenged by the fearless way he batted.

The ever-changing styles of world cricket mean Morgan is not so unique anymore - though 17 sixes in a 71-ball 148 against Afghanistan earlier in this tournament still puts him in a league of his own.

Growing up on the outskirts of Dublin, he learned his trade at Rush Cricket Club, where his father Jody captained the third team and his five brothers and sisters all played.

He was the star player in the under-11 team, aged just six. Cricket was already an obsession rather than a hobby, the road from the Leinster Cup to the World Cup not as long as it seems.

England players talk about Morgan’s captaincy in almost reverential tones. He backed them without hesitation and allowed them not to fear failure - a rare thing in sports leadership.

It’s said the bravest thing to do in sports is to rip-up the plan that got you to the big match when you suddenly realise it’s no longer working.

And Morgan is master of dropping plan A and thinking on his feet.

“You have to be adaptable. I don't think you can go into a game with any fixed plan,” he says. “Being adventurous and open to something different is something I'd encourage captains to do.”

Leading his team to a victory at a home World Cup would secure a plinth of his own in the pantheon of British sporting greats, joining the likes of Moore, Knight and others.

But you sense it wouldn’t change him at all, which makes Morgan’s story all the more remarkable.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    England deserve it. Morgan deserves it. The stage is set.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    From group exit to an emerging minnow to runner ups, pretty good tale.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    And lots of flat pitches.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And whining.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total contrast with pakistan, 3 years of chaos followed by more chaos

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    And lots of flat pitches.
    Eng vs ind had a 59m boundary but the semi final in same ground eng vs aus had larger boundary.

Why are the altering boundary sizes during tournament?

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If eng dont win tomorrow they will never win it.

They have had alot of flatties

Debut
    Jan 2000
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I loved New Zealand beating India in the semi final, England deserve this for turning their one day team around in the past four years. They have a lot of superstars and very much the favorites for the final.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1543 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    And flat pitches and small boundaries.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_game View Post
    As much as I loved New Zealand beating India in the semi final, England deserve this for turning their one day team around in the past four years. They have a lot of superstars and very much the favorites for the final.
    So what do you think NZ was doing since last 4 years? Sleeping in hybernation?

I dont get this logic that England deserve it because they worked hard. We dont have any metrics to measure that they worked harder than Kiwis for instance. The team that plays better today will win. Plain and simple.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England gonna win today haters can cry all they want.they deserve to win and they are truly no.1 side. Go England Go.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    So what do you think NZ was doing since last 4 years? Sleeping in hybernation?

I dont get this logic that England deserve it because they worked hard. We dont have any metrics to measure that they worked harder than Kiwis for instance. The team that plays better today will win. Plain and simple.
    It is the way England have gone about it. New Zealand were a very good side in 2015 and the core of their team is the same, with just a few natural changes such as McCullum and Vettori etc. retiring.

On the other hand, England had to change their playing style, drop as many as 9 players including huge names like Anderson and Broad. They have shown immense hunger and desperation to win this World Cup.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    So much hate in this thread. Give it a rest, hate is wasted energy!

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    696 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Credit should also go to ECB for allowing their players to participate in one of the world cricket's biggest T20 league ie IPL. Players like Jos Buttler and Ben Stokes learnt the art of modern batting in IPL. Before that they hardly knew how to hold a bat and how to perform in front of jam packed stadiums with knowledgeable fans.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You have to give credit to the ECB for selecting the right players in ODIs and give them a long run.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is the way England have gone about it. New Zealand were a very good side in 2015 and the core of their team is the same, with just a few natural changes such as McCullum and Vettori etc. retiring.

On the other hand, England had to change their playing style, drop as many as 9 players including huge names like Anderson and Broad. They have shown immense hunger and desperation to win this World Cup.
    Dont see how that makes England more "deserving" to win as some people claim. They have just now adopted the style of play that other teams had adopted several years before them. Its their job and they had only themselves to blame for not being an up to date team before 2015. If anything, Kiwis deserve it more for consistently trying to adapt to the changing eras since many decades and not the reactionary English team which only recently tried to mend its ways after the 2015 debacle.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

Not just the world cup, they recognised the old conservative methods were getting them nowhere so decided a more adventurous and attacking approach was needed. They also had the mental strength to stick with it when it went wrong, that is an important factor.

Of course it helps that they have a talented crop of players to work with, but maybe those players wouldn't have been given as much leeway under the old system.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone send this video to PCB.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Not just the world cup, they recognised the old conservative methods were getting them nowhere so decided a more adventurous and attacking approach was needed. They also had the mental strength to stick with it when it went wrong, that is an important factor.

Of course it helps that they have a talented crop of players to work with, but maybe those players wouldn't have been given as much leeway under the old system.
    The fact they were hosting the next two ODI championships was a big motivation. They knew they had to make changes to have big impact in those tournaments. If this World Cup was in South Africa or elsewhere they may not have cared that much.