Was overall cricketing standard at its best in the 2019 World Cup or has it declined?


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    3,456
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Was overall cricketing standard at its best in the 2019 World Cup or has it declined?

    The 2019 version was probably the best of all world cups in terms of intensity of competition,as well as ebb and flow or twists and turns.No world cup ever has had such flux or changes in fortune at every stage.Perhaps 1987 version had closer finishes but nowhere as spectacular drama.

    However was the cricketing standard at its best with bat ,ball and fielding?It must be stated that only once was a 300+ score chased that to by Bangladesh and not more than 4-5 chases of 260+.250+ was a wining score to defend in the semi-final and final similar to 1987 and 1979.In the 1975 and 1979 finals West Indies defeated target of run rate at around 5 per over,similar to this world cup as well as the 1979 semi-final v Pakistan.In 1992 250+ was a winning score to defend in the final.Thus after around 30 years there has virtually been no rise in the run rate in a chase in a world cup .In today's era when 300+ is hardly a defendable score in an ODI,this world cup has totally written a different story with 280+ almost looking an impossibilty.Even the best teams buckled when chasing 280+ or even 250+ giving no indication of mustering the required adrelanin or knitting the threads.Perhaps this world cup lacked the yesteryear stalwarts like Tendulkar,Lara,Kallis.Deviliers,Pieterson.Viv Richards,Ponting,Miandad.Inzamam ,Waugh brothers etc.Arguably inspite of batsmen like Virat Kohli,Rohit Sharma,Kane Williamson etc this tournament did not have the class of bating of past eras.The fielding standards surpassed those of any world cup taking athleticism at it's ultimate zenith with some unbelievable catches resembling circus acrobats on the field.Some of the finest bowlers participated like Michel Starc,Trent Boult,Jasprit Bhumrah and al-rounders like Ben Stokes and Shakib.Still lacked a Glen Mcgrath,Wasim Akram,Alan Donald ,Dale Steyn or Shane Warne.Not as many all-rounders as in past world cups .

    In my view overall the best teams of the 2019 edition were below the class of the champion Australian,West Indies teams as well as best South African and Pakistani teams.I think the best 3 teams of 1999 were better than the best of this edition but still the standard was marginally higher this time than in 2015 or 2011.Arguably since 2007 we have not had an outstanding ODI champion .The decline and crisis in Australian cricket perhaps created this trend.Argubaly too much T-20 cricket is ailing the game .

    Where this world cup won was the standard of sportsmanship.I have never seen such a sporting loser as New Zealand who accepted the result with grace bestowed from the divine.I dont have words to describe how sportingly skipper Kane Williamson accepted the defeat when his side did not morally deserve defeat.Hard to visualize any team accepting loss so graciously as the Kiwis considering the unfortunate circumstances of defeat.

    Cricketing temperament was at it's helm with New Zealand winning the honours in this respect and England a close second.In this light India hardly exuberated the same determination.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    7,118
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Of course better than most cups. Cricket as a game has evolved especially LOI's and the old eras can't be compared to the modern era. In 70s and 80s players themselves preferred tests over ODIs. In 90s things started changing after 96 when attacking batsmen came out, however the innovations today with both bat and ball outweigh everything 90s had. Quality of cricket in this world cup was top notch no doubt. Could it have been better? Of course ICC has some ridiculous rules which are batting friendly and if they brought in reverse swing then it could have been even better.

    But overall this world cup towers over any world cup quality wise till 1996 atleast.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    3,456
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_gamer007 View Post
    Of course better than most cups. Cricket as a game has evolved especially LOI's and the old eras can't be compared to the modern era. In 70s and 80s players themselves preferred tests over ODIs. In 90s things started changing after 96 when attacking batsmen came out, however the innovations today with both bat and ball outweigh everything 90s had. Quality of cricket in this world cup was top notch no doubt. Could it have been better? Of course ICC has some ridiculous rules which are batting friendly and if they brought in reverse swing then it could have been even better.

    But overall this world cup towers over any world cup quality wise till 1996 atleast.
    Inspite of hardly any 300+chase with no top team acheiving it?Inspite of hardly any consistency by the best team in the league stage and a relatively weaker team almost winning the title morally?Equal to best of 1999,2003 and 2007 ?

  4. #4
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    7,118
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Thakor View Post
    Inspite of hardly any 300+chase with no top team acheiving it?Inspite of hardly any consistency by the best team in the league stage and a relatively weaker team almost winning the title morally?Equal to best of 1999,2003 and 2007 ?
    2007 has the best team to ever play cricket. So the top team had quality which is unmatched.
    2003 and 1999 were good and balanced world cups and enjoyable. But slower ball bouncers, knuckle balls, scoop shots, reverse switch hits, doosra, teesra, back of the hand slower balls all these things were not there in 99/2003. So it's an unfair comparison however from spectator POV I personally think 99 WC was the best. I loved it no other world cup comes close.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    3,456
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_gamer007 View Post
    2007 has the best team to ever play cricket. So the top team had quality which is unmatched.
    2003 and 1999 were good and balanced world cups and enjoyable. But slower ball bouncers, knuckle balls, scoop shots, reverse switch hits, doosra, teesra, back of the hand slower balls all these things were not there in 99/2003. So it's an unfair comparison however from spectator POV I personally think 99 WC was the best. I loved it no other world cup comes close.
    Absolute agree.No edition had so many great all-rounders or fast bowlers or even batsmen.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    7,656
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was decent middle of the road it did did have an ATG side like 75 79,83,03 and 07

  7. #7
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    3,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this world cup was no doubt a breath of fresh air for true cricket lovers. the slogfests wer so boring, the icc has messed up in many aspects and done a ****** job in promoting the game. but you have to give them credit for preparing perfect pitches for the world cup

    the problem is today's modern batsmen did not have the patience to grind out an innings on these difficult pitches. the windies batsmen were the worst of the lot, were atrocious and gave their wickets away for no reason

    this wc had everything, small teams fighting, big teams failing and new heroes emergin. tis wc started out as a good contest, then the rained out matches made it excruciatingly painful, however, it kicked on and we witnessed many close games, batsmen had to earn their runs.

    a nail biting semi final/ and the greatest final of all time

    this is certainly the best world cup I have seen so far. much better than 2015 and 2011, 2007

    im not saying this is the best world cup of all time, but im pretty sure the next orld cup and maybe the world cup after will not be as exciting as this was.

  8. #8
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    3,573
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two three types of odi batsman today :-

    1. The hack
    Has a huge bat and tries to hack every ball over the tiny 60m boundary!
    eg jason roy

    2. The tip and run batter
    Tips the ball and runs as fast as he can!
    eg virat kohli

    3. The tuk tuk
    Blocks 4/5 deliveries of every over!
    eg imam ul haq

    yesterdays batsman, would play proper cricket, hit the bad ball for a boundary, take a single of a decent delivery and block the good delivery.
    Todays batsman struggle to do the above and thats why they fall in to one of the three categories above!!

  9. #9
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    6,865
    Mentioned
    565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The WC meant we got quite a few games where 250 was competitive. Watching 350 scores in Bilaterals was getting tiring, so a welcome change.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •