Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Kevin Pietersen: Mistake to send texts to South Africa but it was just banter

Kevin Pietersen admits it was a mistake to text South Africa players during the 2012 series in England but says it was simply banter with mates.

Speaking to Nasser Hussain in 'KP: Story of a Genius', a Sky Originals documentary, Pietersen says he's apologised to former captain Andrew Strauss for the infamous 'Textgate' saga of 2012 which hastened his final Test appearance, in 2014.

The five-part documentary - available in full on Sky On Demand from Thursday - charts how Pietersen, perhaps the most-talented batsman England has ever had, rose to stardom and became a hero of the 2005 Ashes and the player of the tournament in England's winning World T20 campaign.

The series, which includes interviews with Strauss and several of Pietersen's former team-mates, also follows his decline to England outcast - an international journey that ended after the debacle of the 2013/14 Ashes whitewash.

The turning point came in 2012 as South Africa sought to topple Strauss' England from top spot in the ICC Test rankings at a time when Pietersen felt undermined by a parody Twitter account called 'KP Genius'.

Asked why the account hurt him so much, Pietersen said: "Because players in the dressing room were associated with it. I was distraught. I just went completely insular. I went completely into my bubble - I was like, 'I'm gone'."

Pietersen went on to produce one of the greatest Test innings in the second Test at Headingley in August, striking 22 fours and one six in an imperious 149, but it was the texts he sent to South Africa players during the match that would take over the headlines.

Asked how he got into a position where he's texting the opposition during a Test, Pietersen replied: "Because they're my mates. Andrew Strauss had said to us - 'under no circumstances will you go and talk to these guys'. I'm going 'shut up you idiot'.

"When Morne Morkel runs in to bowl at me I'm going to try and whack him as far as I can whack him because he's a buddy of mine and that personal thing is, I don't want him at the end of the match to go 'KP, how are you going there buddy?' I want to know that I've absolutely belted him.

"But off the field I don't need anybody to tell me I can't speak to people. He [Strauss] was being a [insult] - he was."

But Strauss replied: "I think there is this impression there that I was always telling KP not to speak to the opposition; that's something that I don't think I'd ever do to KP. He did that whoever we played against; he always had his friends in the opposition.

"So those text messages - that hurt me - and certainly the stuff around how to get me out. I just don't see how you can do that, personally. I think that if you're playing for a team and potentially helping the opposition get one over one of your own players, no."

Fellow former England captain Michael Vaughan, who skippered Pietersen until retiring in 2008, felt Pietersen had crossed a line.

"I don't think he should have played for England again - and I said it at the time," Vaughan reflected. "If he was proven guilty to have sent the opposition those test messages, he shouldn't have played again."

Broadcaster Piers Morgan is resolute in his belief that Pietersen was wrongly made an example of.

"The big question in Textgate with Strauss is 'did Kevin Pietersen give the South Africans advice on how to get Strauss out?" he asked.

"I felt like Kevin was hung, drawn and quartered over a mythological allegation; yes, he might have been abusing Strauss to his mates in the other team - and that's unsavoury and unacceptable - but he wasn't giving tactical advice. And it was that which was used as the real stick to beat him with."

Pietersen was dropped for the final Test of the series at Lord's - a match England had to win to stop South Africa replacing them as the No 1 Test team in the world but failed to do so - and KP was successfully reintegrated back into the team after making a public apology to his team-mates, supporters and the ECB.

"I made a mistake," Pietersen said. "I made a mistake - I've talked about it. I said to Straussy that I am so sorry, so there's not much more I can do that I can do on the situation or on the topic."

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...as-just-banter

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Pietersen did was not right. He could've done that after the series was over.

But, kudos to him for apologizing.

BANGLADESH FAN
    RAPTORS FAN
    LIVERPOOL FAN

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will take Morgan over those stiff upper lips anyday

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pietersen committed treason against his own team and captain, blackballing him from English cricket was the right decision. Giving pointers to the opponents on how to get a teammate out let alone your team captain is almost as bad as match-fixing.

"i'M sOrRy, i'M nOt sUpPosED tO teLl yoU tHiS"

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    Pietersen committed treason against his own team and captain, blackballing him from English cricket was the right decision. Giving pointers to the opponents on how to get a teammate out let alone your team captain is almost as bad as match-fixing.
    Practically it doesn’t mean much. You think the South African think tank didn’t have plans drawn out for Strauss which were probably more through than anything KP could put
    In a text message

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Practically it doesn’t mean much. You think the South African think tank didn’t have plans drawn out for Strauss which were probably more through than anything KP could put
    In a text message
    It's about principle, Pietersen betrayed his team.

"i'M sOrRy, i'M nOt sUpPosED tO teLl yoU tHiS"

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pietersen did betray the team in no way is it fine giving tips go the opposition how to get one of your team mates out

however if someone else in his position the likes of anderson and swann who were part of the in club did that they wouldve got away with it with a firm slap on the wrist

When your on the outside any excuse is valid to get rid and this was just the opportunity that strauss and co needed

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's about principle, Pietersen betrayed his team.
    Fair enough. But what about those players behind 'KP Genius' account? Have they been ever publicly shamed by the ECB or Angrej commies? One of them got dropped eventually, the other ran away in the midst of a series, & the third, the most obnoxious of em all, still bowls for England.

KP's case was like the old established kids bullying a newcomer in the school, so much so that the newcomer kid goes on to react to the bullying in an abusive manner, & that abuse is somehow highlighted & the kid thrown out from the school, while the bullies continue to be saints.

The day d last tree died, d last river poisond & d last fish caught,we'll realize we can't eat money

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Any other cricket board would have done the same what the ECB did with him. You act like an unprofessional idiot, you suffer the consequences.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Where KP went beyond the Pale, in my view, was after he was reintegrated to the side at the request of Cook, turned on Cook too.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by style_guru View Post
    Fair enough. But what about those players behind 'KP Genius' account? Have they been ever publicly shamed by the ECB or Angrej commies? One of them got dropped eventually, the other ran away in the midst of a series, & the third, the most obnoxious of em all, still bowls for England.

KP's case was like the old established kids bullying a newcomer in the school, so much so that the newcomer kid goes on to react to the bullying in an abusive manner, & that abuse is somehow highlighted & the kid thrown out from the school, while the bullies continue to be saints.
    Except that KP was an England veteran before the ones you call “old established kids” were established in the side.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Except that KP was an England veteran before the ones you call “old established kids” were established in the side.
    KP was always viewed as an outsider, no matter how much people try to gloss over the fact.

After Gaffer passed on the names of three players to the ECB whom he believed to be behind the infamous KP genius account, what was done about it? Were the findings made public? Why weren't they publicly humiliated at every stage possible, just like KP was?

With KP, his mere inclusion to the team has always been perceived as some sort of favour done on him by their lordships. While those who mocked him within the dressing room, were always kept within the cozy club.

KP was foolish to have left SA for the greener pastures, but the amount of hate he has copped in England is mind boggling.

The day d last tree died, d last river poisond & d last fish caught,we'll realize we can't eat money

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    630 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Any other cricket board would have done the same what the ECB did with him. You act like an unprofessional idiot, you suffer the consequences.
    Really? Even PCB?
    lol we would had made him captain.

We bought back Amir, and he did something way worse than KP

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Really? Even PCB?
    lol we would had made him captain.

We bought back Amir, and he did something way worse than KP
    Can’t say about the PCB though.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    630 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

lol KP bullied?

KP was a senior member and an already established player for there team.

Plus, even if KP was bullied, he was the English version of David Warner.
    THe guy even went after Cooke for gods sake

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    lol KP bullied?

KP was a senior member and an already established player for there team.

Plus, even if KP was bullied, he was the English version of David Warner.
    THe guy even went after Cooke for gods sake
    Stole the words of my mouth. The man has an ego the size of the North Atlantic. You would be running out of fingers counting the number of people, cricketers included, he has had issues with.

English version of David Warner ..... man, that seriously made me laugh

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KP was disliked in the team, what he did was wrong but the parody twitter accounts created by Broads mates was also fed info on KP by his own team mates that could be used for comedic purposes. Could have been handled better by all involved.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    KP was always viewed as an outsider, no matter how much people try to gloss over the fact.

After Gaffer passed on the names of three players to the ECB whom he believed to be behind the infamous KP genius account, what was done about it? Were the findings made public? Why weren't they publicly humiliated at every stage possible, just like KP was?

With KP, his mere inclusion to the team has always been perceived as some sort of favour done on him by their lordships. While those who mocked him within the dressing room, were always kept within the cozy club.

KP was foolish to have left SA for the greener pastures, but the amount of hate he has copped in England is mind boggling.
    So everyone was out of step with him? Nonesense, loads of Saffers have played for England and been welcomed in. Lamb at Smith were 100% team men.

He brought it all on himself.

Though I agree with @Junaids that England were too soft on the bloke. Tougher management such as Nasser or Stewart was required. Then he might have knocked down and played for England for longer.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    All said and done, he was such a talented batsman. Anyone who saw him play knew he was special. The guy could adjust himself and score runs anywhere. And most of all, he tried dominating attacks rather than accumulating runs.

Talent wise, I’d put him right up there with Sachin, Lara and Ponting. Too bad his ego probably surpassed even that of W.G. Grace’s.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Ashes starts in a few days and this guy finds a way to turn into all about him. The timing of this is weird.

A brilliant player but his ego and personality off the pitch make him not very likeable.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He got served well for betraying and backstabbing a classy top guy like Straussy.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1094 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    The Ashes starts in a few days and this guy finds a way to turn into all about him. The timing of this is weird.

A brilliant player but his ego and personality off the pitch make him not very likeable.
    It's from Sky who are doing a documentary on him that's gonna be released during the Ashes.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    It's from Sky who are doing a documentary on him that's gonna be released during the Ashes.
    Interesting timing. Could have been earlier imo. Brings views I suppose.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He learnt his cricket in SA. A South African with an English connection turned his back on SA, but got slapped back in the face by his adopted team.

The whole texting was exaggerated and unfair. KP got punished but a blind eye was turned for the players insulting him through the parody Twitter account.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This isn't the full story though. He was bullied by some of the golden boys in the England team. For instance Stuart Broad was behind the fake twitter account, which was made to humiliate him. The other culprits in the side were Anderson, Matt Prior and Swann. Nearly all of them had close ties with prominent cricket journalists/commentators who vouched for them and simultaneously led a hate-filled campaign against KP.

I do not condone what KP did (in re: texts) even in the slightest but if the ECB wanted to axe him permanently, it should have been there and then, but no they decided to recall him conveniently in time for the 2012/13 tour of India because the management realised they would have stood no chance of competing in that series and this subsequently proved to be the case with his heroic one many contributions for the greater good of the side. He was by far the best player during that 2-1 test series victory in India.

Around roughly 12 months time after the historic success in the subcontinent, England went on to lose 5-0 in Australia, so they decided to scapegoat Kevin Pietersen even though he was leading run scorer for the side because he was deemed to be of no value if he wasn't winning England any games, despite being the side's premier batsman.

KP was short of friends because unfortunately most of the players in the side were jealous of him. There are numerous ex-players such as Ponting, Graeme Smith, Michael Vaughan and Harmison who all believe he was very much the victim.

KP wasn't the only player to have played his test in that debacle Ashes Series, there was also Graeme Swann who although was a bully himself ended up actually retiring and although he was ineffective with the ball, I don't think he retired because of "injury concerns" or due to his bowling display, but actually because he got a taste of his own medicine in that environment, as evident by the fact he took a swipe at his ex-England team mates when he mentioned "certain players are "up their own backsides".

This shows there was some pretty f***** up things going on behind closed doors and KP ended up suffering the most.

I've noticed there's a lot of naive PPers who think KP was the villain and but have no knowledge of the underlying truths behind what was really going on off the field.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amount of hate that KP gets is unbelievable.

He’s a maverick; you cannot treat them the way you do regular players.

ECB decided to simply back the players who were younger in favor of an in-decline Kevin Pieterson.

The best post-WWII English batsman and he gets discarded when he’s the top-scorer.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    This isn't the full story though. He was bullied by some of the golden boys in the England team. For instance Stuart Broad was behind the fake twitter account, which was made to humiliate him. The other culprits in the side were Anderson, Matt Prior and Swann. Nearly all of them had close ties with prominent cricket journalists/commentators who vouched for them and simultaneously led a hate-filled campaign against KP.

I do not condone what KP did (in re: texts) even in the slightest but if the ECB wanted to axe him permanently, it should have been there and then, but no they decided to recall him conveniently in time for the 2012/13 tour of India because the management realised they would have stood no chance of competing in that series and this subsequently proved to be the case with his heroic one many contributions for the greater good of the side. He was by far the best player during that 2-1 test series victory in India.

Around roughly 12 months time after the historic success in the subcontinent, England went on to lose 5-0 in Australia, so they decided to scapegoat Kevin Pietersen even though he was leading run scorer for the side because he was deemed to be of no value if he wasn't winning England any games, despite being the side's premier batsman.

KP was short of friends because unfortunately most of the players in the side were jealous of him. There are numerous ex-players such as Ponting, Graeme Smith, Michael Vaughan and Harmison who all believe he was very much the victim.

KP wasn't the only player to have played his test in that debacle Ashes Series, there was also Graeme Swann who although was a bully himself ended up actually retiring and although he was ineffective with the ball, I don't think he retired because of "injury concerns" or due to his bowling display, but actually because he got a taste of his own medicine in that environment, as evident by the fact he took a swipe at his ex-England team mates when he mentioned "certain players are "up their own backsides".

This shows there was some pretty f***** up things going on behind closed doors and KP ended up suffering the most.

I've noticed there's a lot of naive PPers who think KP was the villain and but have no knowledge of the underlying truths behind what was really going on off the field.
    Firstly, the manager wanted nothing more to do with Pietersen after Textgate but new skipper Cook argued strongly for his return.

Secondly, this narrative of Pietersen being the Star of India ignores the awkward fact that Cook outscored him in that series, that Bell shut India out with a century when they looked to be closing on a last test win, the bowling of Swann and Panesar and that the England series win was a real team effort.

Thirdly, Flower knew that he would have to bring on new players with Bell, Prior and Swann near the end (and Trott too, as it turned out) and did not want them influenced by the strife Pietersen brought to the dressing room and outside (such as declaring himself unable to play under Moores and getting sacked as skipper for it, retiring from ODIs and then reversing the decision while turning up to Lord’s meetings with his lawyer). So he decided to wait for Pietersen to have a bad series and then drop him. Unfortunately for Flower every player had a bad series except Broad and new boy Stokes, so Flower looked vindictive.

By the way this other narrative about being the best batsman and scapegoated when he had a series average of 25 doesn’t really hold up - it’s like being first in the milk float race, and Pietersen looked completely disengaged except in one test where he scored a brace of fifties. The tour was a disaster for all but those two players, several guys never played for England again and the manager lost his job.

Fourthly it is interesting to note that Pietersen also fell out with his team at Natal and Notts, with his skipper at the latter going so far as to throw Pietersen’s kit off the balcony in a fit of rage. They can’t all have been out of step except him, surely?

Fifthly, Swann is big enough to accept that he should not gone on that tour of Australia as his elbow had failed to the point where he could no longer get that massive rip and drift that got him so many wickets. He knew he was a passenger, and the shame of that plus the toxic team environment got to him. He knows he should have not gone on the tour but Flower talked him into it against his own judgement.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    So everyone was out of step with him? Nonesense, loads of Saffers have played for England and been welcomed in. Lamb at Smith were 100% team men.

He brought it all on himself.

Though I agree with @Junaids that England were too soft on the bloke. Tougher management such as Nasser or Stewart was required. Then he might have knocked down and played for England for longer.

We've often labelled the Indians, Bangladeshis & ***** for being blind cheerleaders for their teams, but this cheer-leading has by far exceeded all of them combined.

Team members leak selective dressing room content in a bid to humiliate KP, but that's all fine coz it was all against KP, who brought it upon himself.

Had KP done the same to his fellow players, our resident cheerleaders would've been the first to label him as a traitor.

Anyways, ECB's double standards & clear bias are for all to see and judge. I still maintain that KP's textgate was completely wrong & he deserved to be punished, but we can't ignore the circumstances which led to him behaving that way. Also, while other players were let off with a slight slap on the wrists, it was KP who was always subjected to being made the example of.

End of.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's true that he texted SA players how to get Strauss out, then that's unforgiveable!

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This particular KP doc was quite interesting, as was following the situation live all those years ago...and yet I am still unclear as to what the texts were? I know there were insults aimed at Strauss (the same man who was captain of a dressing room which knew all about the fake KP twitter account), but what was teh advice given exactly?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    We've often labelled the Indians, Bangladeshis & ***** for being blind cheerleaders for their teams, but this cheer-leading has by far exceeded all of them combined.

Team members leak selective dressing room content in a bid to humiliate KP, but that's all fine coz it was all against KP, who brought it upon himself.

Had KP done the same to his fellow players, our resident cheerleaders would've been the first to label him as a traitor.

Anyways, ECB's double standards & clear bias are for all to see and judge. I still maintain that KP's textgate was completely wrong & he deserved to be punished, but we can't ignore the circumstances which led to him behaving that way. Also, while other players were let off with a slight slap on the wrists, it was KP who was always subjected to being made the example of.

End of.
    I can’t see any bias. Did the team members tell South Africa how to get their skipper out? No.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RE Textgate there was massive fault on both sides. KP screwed up, but he had given enough to England with his years of wonderful service and match-winning performances to deserve another chance.

What was much more disappointing from KP was - after keeping his head down in India and batting better than he had done so in years - when he went back to his old ways later on, i.e being a nuisance in the dressing room, getting himself out with aggressive shots that were against the match situation, and consequently undermining Cook - who had backed KP all along and strongly petitioned the Selectors and Flower to let him back in. This was disloyal and rude on KP’s part.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    KP messed up but did he really deserve never to play for England again.
    I think a lot of egos stopped him.

He deserved another chance, cricket has been poorer as he wasn't given the chance.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad boys of yesteryear got chances again no problem but not kp. Some of them got up to antics like drugs, scandals and more: Chris Broad, Botham, Gatting, etc

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket4all View Post
    Bad boys of yesteryear got chances again no problem but not kp. Some of them got up to antics like drugs, scandals and more: Chris Broad, Botham, Gatting, etc
    He did get another chance - Cook picked him again after Textgate.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who knows what happened in that dressing room or who was at fault, it's all speculation. Only thing that's undeniably true is that KP as a batsman was pure genius, nothing less than that. The number of matches he won for England in a relatively short international career, makes him the no:1 English batsman ever. It's allrite, his fairy tale story ended on a sour note, it happens in life. That fans will always remember his match winning skills is his legacy.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True but wasn't he then made a scapegoat after Ashes series loss?