Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    106,918
    Mentioned
    1954 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

    "PCB have not groomed a successor to Sarfaraz Ahmed" : Aamir Sohail

    In his latest blog, Aamir Sohail writes about the wider implications of Mohammad Amir's retirement from Test cricket, the need for some strong decisions to be taken by Mr. Ehsan Mani in interest of Pakistan cricket, Mickey Arthur's failure to achieve any concrete results during his tenure and why it would be wrong to replace Sarfaraz Ahmed as captain without carefully grooming his replacement.


    Name:  sarf_as_blog.jpg
Views: 21997
Size:  135.4 KB


    Mohammad Amir’s retirement from Test cricket was expected

    The announcement of Mohammad Amir’s retirement from Test cricket seemed to catch a lot of people by surprise but in my view, this looked like a logical conclusion to his Test career. A few months ago, there had been some rumours of him wanting to give up the longer format to preserve himself and given his less than ideal Test form in recent times, the decision to move on was expected. I do believe that Amir’s decision to retire was driven by his intention to maximise his earning potential given that he had lost 5 years of his career due to the ban. After his comeback, he did not have the effectiveness in Tests that we all hoped for and he was clearly struggling so his decision is understandable.


    More Test players will give up playing in this format if they can earn more from Twenty20 Leagues

    With rumours flying about of other cricketers also considering a move away from Tests to give themselves some more earning potential, it remains to be seen how PCB will react to this development. It's clear that Test match fees are in no way comparable to the allure of attractive financial rewards that a player playing in the shorter formats, namely Twenty20, can get for himself. So, the decision is a no-brainer and unless Test match fees become good enough to challenge what can be earned from the lucrative Twenty20 leagues, there will always be a possibility of Test players wanting to take a practical approach. Of course, we will always have some supremely talented Test players of the likes of James Anderson who will choose to only concentrate on Tests as their bowling strengths are suited for this format. But such cases are few and far between and Anderson’s earning potential is clearly not affected by his preference for Tests and that may well be one way for PCB to stop players from deserting the Test side for the shorter formats of the game.


    PCB Cricket Committee is failing to achieve its purpose

    The PCB Cricket Committee recently met with some fanfare to reportedly discuss the current state of affairs of Pakistan cricket, including the lacklustre World Cup performances but here is my issue. If the intention was to have a constructive review of recent performances by Pakistan team then the committee should have come well prepared to evaluate the situation, based upon the job description of the people being questioned. But the fact is that the job descriptions themselves were so weak in the first place that very superficial and generic statements of progress and intent were made in this meeting which really defeats the purpose of the PCB Committee. No one will readily admit to the fact that they were wrong unless they are seriously challenged and confronted by the questioners and that is what seems to have transpired recently.


    Time has come for PCB to rid itself of decision-makers who have taken wrong decisions over time

    But all this is not a big surprise to any of us, is it? The fact remains that the very people who were responsible for the current setup of the Pakistan side are the ones who probably appointed the current personnel and they need be taken to task first. The fact is that instead of putting the Pakistan team on trial, it should be the people who helped chose the team management who should be asked to step-up and be held accountable so that they can provide explanations for the current situation, or they should be relieved of their duties immediately. It is their incorrect decisions overtime which have brought Pakistan cricket to its knees and action needs to be taken against them. It is due to them that Pakistan cricket has not progressed in the way it should have.


    It’s time for strong decisions to be taken by Mr. Ehsan Mani

    The new administration at the PCB under the leadership of Mr. Ehsan Mani has precious little to show for in terms of their own achievements. PSL season 4 took place soon after change in leadership at the PCB but apart from that there isn’t much to talk about. However, we need to be patient as due to Pakistan’s cricket commitments including the recently concluded World Cup, there hasn’t been much time to make any significant decisions. But now the time has come for strong actions to be taken by the new administrations and to put into practice what they have been talking about from the start. For me, the most important action they must take is to ensure that the management structure of the PCB is robust. In this regard, I would like to mention the fact that any organisation only brings in a new Managing Director (MD), as PCB have done, if the previous incumbent or the COO is not working to the satisfaction of the organisation. Mr. Mani, in my opinion, should now act to ensure that the MD has complete power to deliver the approved policies and should remove the COO so that progress can be made.


    We have seen no technical improvements in the Pakistan team under Mickey Arthur

    Mickey Arthur had expressed a desire to stay on as Pakistan Head Coach for two more years but in my mind, there should be serious questions asked about exactly what he has achieved during his current tenure. I have yet to see any technical improvements in the Pakistan side despite him claiming and bragging about the fact that we have better fitness and fielding in the past few years. I see no reason why we should continue with him for the next two years as requested by him and agree with PCB's decision to not to renew his contract.


    No need for knee-jerk reactions to remove Sarfaraz Ahmed as captain

    There is a lot of debate and discussion about suitability of Sarfaraz Ahmed as captain in some or all three formats of the game. To me this is just a sad case of a knee-jerk reaction to recent disappointing performances by the Pakistan side. The fact is that PCB have not groomed a successor to him and so to expect Sarfaraz to be replaced for the sake of change is absolute madness. What we need to do is to act in a calm manner to prepare his replacement and to look for someone to take over who has leadership material, and is not simply a good player. If we don’t groom for at least a year a player who has a good grasp of the tactical aspects of the game, one who can operate well under pressure and has game awareness then we could easily end up with a dressing room with possibly six captains instead of one good leader and we cannot afford that at any cost.
    Last edited by MenInG; 7th August 2019 at 14:56.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    106,918
    Mentioned
    1954 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Aamir on Mickey has a point - but still feel Mickey should have stayed a bit more as players also happy with him


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  3. #3
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    1,387
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everytime we get a settled captain people start begging for a goddamn successor ***

  4. #4
    Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    404
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    Everytime we get a settled captain people start begging for a goddamn successor ***
    Lol sarfraz isn't settled. He's a mediocre captain who is poor at tactics and a bad batsmen.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    240
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideally yes they should have groomed a replacement, and that in of itself is another failure of this administration. However I disagree with Aamir. Other than his captaincy and the results under him, his performance as a wicketkeeper-batsman and his declining fitness level all indicate that we need to move on from Sarfaraz. It is not a knee-jerk reaction to remove him, he just doesn't merit a place in all 3 teams. Its time to look to the future for a younger wicketkeeper who will play for us in the next world cup.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    4,124
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All the views I've heard from Karachi based ex-players wanted Mickey to be sacked to protect the captain from their home city.

    Such views should not be taken seriously.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    1,103
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Captains are not groomed they are natural born leaders.
    For far too long our captains have been scared to do anything different.

    A young daring captain should be chosen who is above any kind of suspicion, never want to have another Salmon Butt.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    81,467
    Mentioned
    5948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    What does grooming a captain even mean? It is a buzz sentence but no one bothers to explain. How many captains today were groomed and how was that grooming achieved?

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    2,055
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As if Sarfaraz Or Misbah Before him were ever groomed. LOL
    PCB has been giving Captaincy randomly or based on Groupings for a long time.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    2,339
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Aamir Sohail. We have one of the youngest, if not the youngest national team. Realistically, Sarfraz won’t last more than 2 years as a captain and eventually someone young will have to step in. It’s time to groom someone unless we want to go in to WC 2023 with a clueless captain with no knowledge of tactics and no leadership qualities.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    1,042
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    What does grooming a captain even mean? It is a buzz sentence but no one bothers to explain. How many captains today were groomed and how was that grooming achieved?
    When Sarfraz was banned by the ICC during the SA tour, the PCB could have made Babar the captain for the remaining ODIs and T20Is, instead they chose Malik of all players-who has been atrocious in everything he does. They could have also made Babar the captain for series against Zimbabwe or even maybe few games against SL and WI. PCB wasted perfect opportunities, and now they don't know who to make the captain.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    23,871
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    What does grooming a captain even mean? It is a buzz sentence but no one bothers to explain. How many captains today were groomed and how was that grooming achieved?
    Grooming: Captaining at levels below national team for a substantial amount of time

    Other than imad no one has done that and his place has a question mark

  13. #13
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    31,947
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Grooming captains is over rated. You either have leadership qualities or you don't.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    81,467
    Mentioned
    5948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrai View Post
    When Sarfraz was banned by the ICC during the SA tour, the PCB could have made Babar the captain for the remaining ODIs and T20Is, instead they chose Malik of all players-who has been atrocious in everything he does. They could have also made Babar the captain for series against Zimbabwe or even maybe few games against SL and WI. PCB wasted perfect opportunities, and now they don't know who to make the captain.
    Quote Originally Posted by hur rizvi View Post
    Grooming: Captaining at levels below national team for a substantial amount of time

    Other than imad no one has done that and his place has a question mark
    The concept of grooming captains is overstated. Players like Kohli, Williamson, Root, Smith etc. didn’t exactly lead their teams in numerous matches before they entrusted with leadership roles.

    Pakistan’s problem is that it is a mediocre team with plenty of below average players. As a result, we haven’t been able to smoothly transition from one captain to another.

    Most teams simply give captaincy to a world class player in the right age group. When you don’t have such options, you try your luck with the likes of Azhar, Sarfraz etc.

    Right now, Pakistan have a rare opportunity in Babar. He is establishing himself as a world class player and is the first name on the team sheet. In addition, he is young enough to lead the team in multiple World Cups.

    It is time to give him the captaincy because it will eventually fall in his lap anyway. There is no point in going through mediocre options and unsettling the team just because we are assuming that captaincy will have a negative impact on his batting.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    26,066
    Mentioned
    2038 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Eid Mubarak.

    Before my marriage, I used to live in dadÂ’s hotel - never bothered for grocery, cooking, laundry ..... not even buying my own clothes. Life was full of fun - I used to drive own car, 8am to 11pm office, club, party - adda, weekend outings, once/twice every month foreign trips .... donÂ’t bother much about savings - swipe credit card and chill..... and I had one dedicated driver (whose main job was to clean my car, park it in garage and bring my lap top to 2nd floor from car.... because 90% time I used to drive my car and his job often was the car guard...), one teen age boy to bring my coffee, turning on AC, cleaning room, a German Shepard ..... obviously mom used to cook & dad used to do the grocery while sis used to do most of the shopping.

    Then got married to another professional lady - life changed dramatically. Became dad twice in few years time - life changed further. Opted for an uncertain life in Canada leaving the comfort zone - two people with two babies in a country that takes minimum 23 hours from my home town; no close relatives, no close friends, no job and no support staff - from bathroom cleaning to onion cutting, itÂ’s either one to do and do it on daily routine regardless of upset stomach or upset mood. Learned cooking, shopping, baby sitting .... on top of that both studying full time. Then both got jobs and life became further complicated .....

    BUT, I can proudly say that I am a good husband, great father, a better human being now. And, a better son/son in law as well - because my parents, F/M in-laws have grown older, now they depend more on us for taking care of them, their issues ... even from Canada. A more mature bro in law as well by now. Interesting fact is - I wasn’t groomed to be a better husband, to be a great father, to be a better son/son in law .... and no one “taught” me the art of fatherhood, the “skills” of managing tight budget. It’s the responsibility that forced me to realise that time has changed - I have to act appropriately, otherwise my conjugal life will be damaged, by baby’s future will be ruined, my parents will pass away with heavy hearts regarding their future generation.

    Is cricket Captaincy tougher than this for the first timers?

  16. #16
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    106,918
    Mentioned
    1954 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Eid Mubarak.

    Before my marriage, I used to live in dadÂ’s hotel - never bothered for grocery, cooking, laundry ..... not even buying my own clothes. Life was full of fun - I used to drive own car, 8am to 11pm office, club, party - adda, weekend outings, once/twice every month foreign trips .... donÂ’t bother much about savings - swipe credit card and chill..... and I had one dedicated driver (whose main job was to clean my car, park it in garage and bring my lap top to 2nd floor from car.... because 90% time I used to drive my car and his job often was the car guard...), one teen age boy to bring my coffee, turning on AC, cleaning room, a German Shepard ..... obviously mom used to cook & dad used to do the grocery while sis used to do most of the shopping.

    Then got married to another professional lady - life changed dramatically. Became dad twice in few years time - life changed further. Opted for an uncertain life in Canada leaving the comfort zone - two people with two babies in a country that takes minimum 23 hours from my home town; no close relatives, no close friends, no job and no support staff - from bathroom cleaning to onion cutting, itÂ’s either one to do and do it on daily routine regardless of upset stomach or upset mood. Learned cooking, shopping, baby sitting .... on top of that both studying full time. Then both got jobs and life became further complicated .....

    BUT, I can proudly say that I am a good husband, great father, a better human being now. And, a better son/son in law as well - because my parents, F/M in-laws have grown older, now they depend more on us for taking care of them, their issues ... even from Canada. A more mature bro in law as well by now. Interesting fact is - I wasn’t groomed to be a better husband, to be a great father, to be a better son/son in law .... and no one “taught” me the art of fatherhood, the “skills” of managing tight budget. It’s the responsibility that forced me to realise that time has changed - I have to act appropriately, otherwise my conjugal life will be damaged, by baby’s future will be ruined, my parents will pass away with heavy hearts regarding their future generation.

    Is cricket Captaincy tougher than this for the first timers?
    Wow what an analogy


    To be honest, my understanding grooming means that the person has prior experience of captaincy.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  17. #17
    Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    11,266
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grooming needs to be done at domestic level.

    How come our younger players never get the chance in domestic + PSL? It's always the Hafeez's Malik's captaining a side.

    It all needs to start at grass root level + domestic!


    "You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    26,066
    Mentioned
    2038 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Wow what an analogy


    To be honest, my understanding grooming means that the person has prior experience of captaincy.
    That means you are telling I had prior experience of being a father...,.. Astagfirullah.

    All these pundits that are giving these sort of analogy are basically trying to protect Sarfraz’s chair, but they are too dumb to back it by logic or give examples. For a note, one of the greatest captains of the game had very little “experience” - led Oxford University in 1974 for few games in semi amateur cricket, then took the most difficult challenge at 29 that the game could offer, without any prior experience and not even being a even a vice Captain ever - Captain of PCT in early 1980s with at least half a dozen top cricketers in the squad with lots of strong characters, attitude, ego, fractions and groupings.

    No amount of experience can cover for the first rule of Captaincy - automatic choice in playing XI on playing merit. 2 decades experience doesn’t cover for that. Leaving all these expert opinions, PCB should make Babar Captain, at least for longer two formats and back him. No one will stop all those “experience heads” around him on field to guide him and share their thoughts in good faith.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •