Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

South Africa tour of India 2019

Faf du Plessis will remain in charge of South Africa’s Test team for their tour of India in September-October, but Cricket South Africa haven't ruled out a new white-ball captain.

Du Plessis’ tenure came under a cloud when CSA said they might consider an interim captain to lead the Indian touring party, following a massive restructuring of the management, which saw the departure of head coach Ottis Gibson and the rest of his staff.

However, Corrie van Zyl, CSA’s acting director of cricket, confirmed that du Plessis’ place as captain of the red-ball team remains secure as of now. "Faf will be the captain of the Test team and then we will talk about the white-ball strategy to 2023 and how that will affect decision-making," van Zyl said on Tuesday, 6 August.

"It's important to look forward to 2023 as well. We need a strategy to 2023, so in terms of appointing the captain we will look at how we approach that. We are having a selection meeting in the next day and a half to confirm that."

As for du Plessis, he was glad to continue in his role for the moment, but was wary and calculative of his long-term future, as both player and leader. "I'm 35, I've probably got two or three years left, hopefully more. You can't plan for that kind of thing, you have to try and plan for what every year looks like – and those are what the conversations with CSA will have to be," du Plessis said after CSA's awards ceremony, where he was named Men’s Cricketer of the Year. "What does year one look like? Year two? And then, if there is a year three, what does that look like?

"Even though I was disappointed after the World Cup, it is still special to play for this team. I wasn't thinking about quitting, it's about weighing up what the next year looks like in terms of all three formats. It's a lot of time away playing cricket. As you get older, you have to start looking at other tournaments. That's the balancing act that would need to happen."

South Africa visit India for three T20Is, followed by as many Tests. The first T20I takes place on 15 September in Dharamsala. The van Zyl-led interim selection committee will get down to discuss the team for the tour this week.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1302111

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    This is gonna be bloodbath for Saffefs

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can South Africa recall Simon Harmer? He's in astounding county form and can wreck Indian batting in Indian conditions. I don't know what the other options are!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not expecting South Africa to do much in India. They need experience. He could retire after the South African home summer.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm getting conflicting info here. I thought Gibson was appointed as team manager? Now it seems the relationship with CSA and Gibson is sour. CSA truly is pathetic and unprofessional. Disgusting, honestly. No wonder we bleed class players.

If anything, perhaps CSA needs a proper "restructuring"...

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised to see Faf still continuing as captain. South Africa went downhill under his captaincy.

BANGLADESH FAN
    RAPTORS FAN
    LIVERPOOL FAN

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a feeling India is going to do something like 2015 and dish out those dust-bowls. They got some dangerous and tough pitches in South Africa and I'm pretty sure they're gonna return the favor like last time.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This series is going to very one sided unfortunately. South Africa struggle badly in subcontinent. No elite players like AB either.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Faf is a good captain. His team tough hasn't stood up. He can't be blamed for Rabada playing the IPL and turning up to the WC tired and out of sorts. Nor can he be blamed for de Villiers running after money or Steyn getting injured at the worst time. Or Hash reaching the end of the line for that matter

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    South Africa most likely gonna get massacred. Only people who can change that are Keshav Maharaj and Rabada. They have no hope in terms of batting.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SA batting is massively poor. They probably need Amla of 2010s.

Players to watch for SA in this series:-

Aiden Markram(he was poor in SL)
    Quinton se kock
    Kagiso Rabada(he will come good this time)
    Keshav Maharaj

The lineup for SA can be:-

Elgar
    Markram
    Amla
    Faf
    Bavuma
    Bruyne
    de kock
    Rabada
    Ngidi
    Harmer
    Maharaj
    Philander

That's 12. Will probably be one between Ngidi and Philander.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    DU PLESSIS OPTIMISTIC ABOUT FUTURE AFTER AWARDS HAT-TRICK

Thursday, 08 August 2019

Standard Bank Proteas captain Faf du Plessis has reflected on his triple honour at the Cricket South Africa (CSA) awards function held in Pretoria over the weekend, saying that that his recognition as a player more than a captain really moved him.

The national skipper was named South African Cricketer of the Year, SA Players’ Player of the Year and Standard Bank ODI Cricketer of the Year.

Du Plessis was the biggest winner at the ceremony held at the Maslow Time Square Hotel and, speaking afterwards, the 35-year-old said he felt really special to be recognised so strongly.

“Getting the recognition of my peers is really special,” he said. “I've been to the awards a few times now, been nominated in a few categories and won a few trophies here and there, but never have I won the Players' Player of the Year and that in itself, especially as a captain, makes it even more special for me.

“Obviously the players recognise your performance, but as a leader that makes me extremely proud of that trophy. I've always strived for greatness more as a leader rather than as a player.”

Although South Africa disappointed at the World Cup, Du Plessis led from the front in one-day internationals, scoring more than 1 100 runs run in his last 26 matches, a run that has included three centuries and six half-centuries. At Test level, he recorded one ton and two 50s in four matches.

“To be honest, when I was a bit younger, I never really thought it would be me standing there winning the Players’ Player award,” he explained. “As I said, I've always seen myself as being the leader and stuff like that playing more of an important role compared to actually being a great player, so I'm extremely happy.

“The last two or three years there's been a good consistency about my game and I'm really happy to get some recognition for it.”

The South Africa captain also spoke about his time away from the limelight after the World Cup in England, saying it has been refreshing and added that he looked forward to playing for the Proteas in the future.

“It's been a nice break to get away from the game a little bit,” he added. “Playing for the Proteas, even though it was disappointing how I felt after the World Cup, the specialness of playing for this team is still there. And I do feel there's a huge drive from me still to play for this team.

“Hopefully there's some really good things ahead for this team and for me with the team as well.”

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    SA batting is massively poor. They probably need Amla of 2010s.

Players to watch for SA in this series:-

Aiden Markram(he was poor in SL)
    Quinton se kock
    Kagiso Rabada(he will come good this time)
    Keshav Maharaj

The lineup for SA can be:-

Elgar
    Markram
    Amla
    Faf
    Bavuma
    Bruyne
    de kock
    Rabada
    Ngidi
    Harmer
    Maharaj
    Philander

That's 12. Will probably be one between Ngidi and Philander.
    Or More like:-

Elgar
    Markram
    Amla
    Faf(c)
    Bavuma
    Harmer
    de kock(wkt)
    Philander
    Rabada
    Ngidi
    Maharaj

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Have a feeling India is going to do something like 2015 and dish out those dust-bowls. They got some dangerous and tough pitches in South Africa and I'm pretty sure they're gonna return the favor like last time.
    I think it will be batting pitches.
    India tend to make dust bowls against teams they feel threatened against and compensate them by making batting pitches against teams they feel they can beat on decent test pitches.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benchwarmer View Post
    I think it will be batting pitches.
    India tend to make dust bowls against teams they feel threatened against and compensate them by making batting pitches against teams they feel they can beat on decent test pitches.
    Will be a win-win for India either way. South Africa neither have the spinners nor the batsmen who can do well on these pitches. India should win comfortably.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Or More like:-

Elgar
    Markram
    Amla
    Faf(c)
    Bavuma
    Harmer
    de kock(wkt)
    Philander
    Rabada
    Ngidi
    Maharaj
    Remove amla and take van der dussen

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Good on Faf for sticking around but South Africa will get crushed.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Even though he was on his last legs, it is more frightening for SA that Amla has now retired.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Faf will probably retire soon too. At least from test matches. He’s already 35.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Cricket South Africa is pleased to announce the appointment of Enoch Nkwe as the interim Team Director for the Standard Bank Proteas for the upcoming T20 and Test Series against India, starting on September 15.

The tour will consist of three T20 internationals and three Test matches.

The acting Director of Cricket, Corrie Van Zyl, who has been tasked with filling the vacant post, has been on the lookout for candidates for the position following the restructure of the national men’s team

Commenting on the appointment Van Zyl said: “We are pleased to announce Enoch Nkwe as the interim team director of the Standard Bank Proteas for the tour to India. His appointment is as a result of his merits and balanced approach and is someone who compliments the direction that will be taken by the team going forward.”

The bizhub Highveld Lions head coach has an impressive record of bringing the winning culture back to the Johannesburg-based outfit. In his first season as mentor he led the franchise to two trophies (CSA T20 Challenge and 4-Day Franchise Series). In addition, he led the Jozi Stars to the inaugural Mzansi Super League title. With the appointment he will be afforded the opportunity to select his coaching staff that will work alongside him in India.

On being appointed the interim Director, Nkwe expressed his appreciation for the opportunity: “It is a tremendous honour and privilege to lead the Standard Bank Proteas as the interim team director. It is a special moment for me and my family and I will do my best to make a difference in this interim period. I am extremely excited about the challenge that lies ahead and am looking forward to meeting all players and staff.

“Thanks also to Cricket South Africa for giving me this opportunity and hopefully we will return from India with positive results.”

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    CSA NAME NORTJE, MUTHUSAMY AND SECOND AS NEW TEST CAPS

Bavuma, Nortje and Fortuin to make T20 debuts

Tuesday, 13 August 2019

CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) today named three new caps in the Warriors duo of fast bowler Anrich Nortje and wicketkeeper/batsman Rudi Seconds as well as Hollywoodbets Dolphins spin bowling all-rounder Senuran Muthusamy in the Standard Bank Proteas Test squad for the three-match Series against India in October.

There are also three newcomers in the squad for the three-match T20 International series in bizhub Highveld Lions duo of batsman Temba Bavuma and spin bowling all-rounder Bjorn Fortuin as well as Nortje.

Quinton de Kock will captain the T20 squad with Rassie van der Dussen as vice-captain while Temba Bavuma will be the vice-captain to Faf du Plessis in the Test match squad.

Aiden Markram, Theunis de Bruyn and Lungi Ngidi were not considered for T20 selection as they will be continuing their preparation for the Test series by playing in South Africa A’s four-day matches against India A.

“All three newcomers to the Test side have more than earned their spurs through impressive performances in last season’s Four-Day Franchise competition,” commented CSA Acting Director of Cricket, Corrie van Zyl.

“We feel we have covered all the options for the conditions we are likely to encounter on the sub-continent with Muthusamy and Dane Piedt, who was far and away the leading wicket-taker in our Four-Day competition, providing the back-up to Keshav Maharaj.

“Zubayr Hamza made an impressive start to his Test career against Pakistan last season when Faf du Plessis was ruled out and the retirement of Hashim Amla creates a further opportunity for him.

“The T20 Series gives us the last chance to have a look at our leadership and batting options as the next edition of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup is now little more than a year away which is why we have gone with an inexperienced leadership group. This is our last chance to do this before we settle on an established squad.

“I would like to stress that Faf du Plessis remains an important part of our plans for white-ball cricket.

“As far as the T20 squad is concerned, Temba Bavuma and Bjorn Fortuin were two of the standout players in the CSA T20 Challenge last season while Nortje was outstanding in the Mzansi Super League until ruled out by injury.

“This is very much a form squad with players being rewarded for their consistent performances at franchise level. This applies equally to Junior Dala and Jon-Jon Smuts,” concluded Van Zyl.

Standard Bank Test match squad: Faf du Plessis (Multiply Titans, capt), Temba Bavuma (bizhub Highveld Lions, vice-capt), Theunis de Bruyn (Multiply Titans), Quinton de Kock (Multiply Titans), Dean Elgar (Multiply Titans), Zubayr Hamza (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras), Keshav Maharaj (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Aiden Markram (Multiply Titans), Senuran Muthusamy (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Multiply Titans), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Vernon Philander (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras), Dane Piedt (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras), Kagiso Rabada (bizhub Highveld Lions), Rudi Second (Warriors).

Standard Bank T20I squad: Quinton de Kock (Multiply Titans, capt), Rassie van der Dussen (bizhub Highveld Lions, vice-capt), Temba Bavuma (bizhub Highveld Lions), Junior Dala (Multiply Titans), Bjorn Fortuin (bizhub Highveld Lions), Beuran Hendricks (bizhub Highveld Lions), Reeza Hendricks (bizhub Highveld Lions), David Miller (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Andile Phehlukwayo (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Dwaine Pretorius (bizhub Highveld Lions), Kagiso Rabada (bizhub Highveld Lions), Tabraiz Shamsi (Multiply Titans), Jon-Jon Smuts (Warriors).

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Muthusamy receives maiden Proteas call up

Durban – Hollywoodbets Dolphins all-rounder Senuran Muthusamy has been handed his maiden call up for the Standard Bank Proteas’ test squad that will take on India in a three test series in India in October.

The stylish left handed batsman has been one of the stand out players for the Dolphins in red ball cricket for the past few seasons and his exploits in the white clothing earned his a call up to the SA ‘A’ squad in 2018.

A player that is rarely out of the game and can contribute equally with both the blade and the ball will be one of three spinners in the Proteas squad along with Dolphins team mate Keshav Maharaj and the returning Dane Piedt.

“I am overwhelmed with the selection and all of the messages that I have received,” the soft spoken Muthusamy said.

“It is the dream of any cricketer to be selected in your national test squad and I cannot wait to get to India with the team and hopefully make my debut on this tour.

“We still have the spin camp as well as the SA ‘A’ tour to India so there is plenty of time for me to prepare for the test series.”

To add another potential Protea to the list of Dolphins that have gone on to represent the country is a feather in the cap for the management at the franchise.

“We are extremely proud of Senuran’s selection for the Proteas squad,” CEO of KZN Cricket Heinrich Strydom said.

“It’s the pinnacle of cricket to represent your country on the test match stage and to have Senuran join Keshav in the set-up is a testament to the strides we are making at KZN Cricket.

“We cannot wait to see how he goes and we hope that he learns as much as possible whilst being surrounded by our national squad.”

Fellow Dolphins Andile Phehlukwayo and David Miller have been included in the Proteas T20 squad for the three match T20I series against India.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    JOHANNESBURG: South Africa’s interim team director Enoch Nkwe says he will look to English Premier League football coach Pep Guardiola for inspiration during his side’s upcoming tour of India.

Nkwe replaces West Indian Ottis Gibson, the previous head coach, for the trip which starts in September and includes three Tests and three Twenty20 Internationals.

Nkwe’s role, though, is all-encompassing and marries the role of head coach, selector and team manager, with other members of the support team reporting directly to him — a similar role to that of a European-style director of football.

Nkwe, 36, told a press conference on Thursday that he was a big fan of Manchester City manager Guardiola and the way he creates successful environments.

“He is on another level. There are a lot of things you can learn from different sporting codes. I have followed his work and enjoy how he backs his philosophy, he always tries to set new boundaries and break new records,” he said. “Seeing his growth, from coaching one of the biggest clubs in the world [Barcelona] at the age of 37, is an inspiration.”

Nkwe’s appointment drew criticism from some former national team players, given his relative lack of experience — he did not play international cricket — and despite his success coaching the Lions in the 2018-19 domestic season.

Nkwe, though, has had coaching spells as assistant with the Netherlands national side, on the Canadian T20 circuit and with the South African ‘A’ side, including a tour to India, and argues he has enough know-how to take the team forward.

“I don’t feel it is a suicide mission [in India],” he told reporters. “As a coach I strongly believe that every challenge is an opportunity. As management we need to create the right environment as soon as possible.

“I have just been in Canada working with some of the best T20 players in the world. Just to manage Chris Gayle is a massive task in itself!

“Being someone that is always open to new experiences and learning, the last year has been massive in my coaching career and as a person.”

Nkwe will be backed up by batting, bowling and fielding coaches who are expected to be former players with experience of playing or working in India.

“I will take full responsibility for how things unfold in India, but I like to create the environment where each coach has a say, learns and grows,” Nkwe added.

South Africa start the tour with the limited overs matches, the first in Dharamsala on Sept 15 and the remaining two in Mohali (Sept 18) and Bangalore (Sept 22). The Tests follow in Visakhapatnam (Oct 2-6), Pune (Oct.10-14) and Ranchi (Oct 19-23), the first for the team in the newly-formed ICC Test Championship.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1499740/sa...la-inspiration

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Cape Town - Faf du Plessis revealed that he will remain captain of the Proteas T20 side despite not being named in the limited overs squad in India.

Earlier this week, Cricket South Africa (CSA) announced that Quinton de Kock will captain the T20 side and Du Plessis in the Tests.

The Proteas tour India and play the first of three T20Is on September 15 in Dharamsala, while their Test series gets underway on October 2 in Visakhapatnam.

On Thursday, CSA acting director of cricket Corrie van Zyl stated that Du Plessis remains an important part for the Proteas in white-ball cricket.

"The mandate for the national team and for Enoch (Nkwe) as the team director is obviously to win and be successful in India. Our approach in the T20 will be a little more experimentation looking at the T20 World Cup next year," said Van Zyl in Johannesburg.

"(Regarding) the captaincy role, Faf is not apart of this but (he is) very much part of the T20 team."

Meanwhile, in an interview with the Mumbai Mirror this week, Du Plessis maintains that he is still the T20 captain and revealed that he may retire following the 2020 T20 World Cup in Australia.

"Cricket South Africa are going to use opportunities through the season to bring in different captains in white-ball cricket to prepare for when I'm going to be done after the T20 World Cup. I'm still the captain of the T20 team and very much part of it," Du Plessis told the Indian publication.

Proteas Test match squad v India:

Faf du Plessis (Titans, capt), Temba Bavuma (Highveld Lions, vice-capt), Theunis de Bruyn (Titans), Quinton de Kock (Titans), Dean Elgar (Titans), Zubayr Hamza (Cape Cobras), Keshav Maharaj (Dolphins), Aiden Markram (Titans), Senuran Muthusamy (Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Titans), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Vernon Philander (Cape Cobras), Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras), Kagiso Rabada (Highveld Lions), Rudi Second (Knights)

Proteas T20I squad v India:

Quinton de Kock (Titans, capt), Rassie van der Dussen (Highveld Lions, vice-capt), Temba Bavuma (Highveld Lions), Junior Dala (Titans), Bjorn Fortuin (Highveld Lions), Beuran Hendricks (Highveld Lions), Reeza Hendricks (Highveld Lions), David Miller (Dolphins), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins), Dwaine Pretorius (Highveld Lions), Kagiso Rabada (Highveld Lions), Tabraiz Shamsi (Titans), Jon-Jon Smuts (Warriors)

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Pr...-tour-20190816

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Rudi Second, one of the new caps in the Standard Bank Proteas Test squad to play three Tests in India in October, has suffered an injury while practising with the South Africa A side that will require immediate surgery and he has consequently been ruled out of the touring party.

His place with be taken by Multiply Titans wicketkeeper/batsman Heinrich Klaasen.

“Klaasen is part of the one-day squad for the South Africa A tour and he will now be added to the squad in Second’s place for the four-day series that will assist his preparation for the Proteas Test series,” commented CSA Acting Director of Cricket Corrie van Zyl.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has also announced the switching of venues for the Test section of the tour. The second Test match will now be played at Pune and the final one at Ranchi.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) today announced Interim Team Director Enoch Nkwe’s support staff for the Standard Bank Proteas tour to India next month. The tour consists of three T20 International matches followed by three Test matches which will mark the start of the Proteas ICC Test Match Championship campaign.

“In terms of the new team structure the Team Director appoints his three assistant coaches who have specific skills focus in the three key disciplines of batting, bowling and fielding,” commented CSA Acting Director of Cricket Corrie van Zyl.

“Former Proteas all-rounder Lance Klusener will fill the role of assistant coach (batting) for the T20 Series only. His record as one of the best all-rounders in the world, particularly in white ball cricket, during his playing career speaks for itself and he also has extensive coaching experience both at franchise and international level.

“Vincent Barnes will be the assistant coach (bowling). He also has extensive coaching experience at international level and his knowledge of playing conditions in India will make his contribution invaluable. Vincent currently also fills the role of the HP Bowling Lead for CSA.

“Justin Ontong will fill the role of assistant coach (fielding). He has built up a strong relationship with the players over the last two years and is an acknowledged expert in this department.

“Enoch is targeting a batting coach who has extensive knowledge of Indian conditions for the Test series and we will be in a position to announce this successful candidate shortly.

“As previously announced, all the technical staff – Performance Analyst Prasanna Agoram, Strength and Conditioning Coach Greg King and physiotherapist Craig Govender – have been retained. Unfortunately, Craig has recently undergone knee surgency so a temporary replacement will travel with the team to India,” concluded Van Zyl.