Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

South Africa tour of India 2019

Faf du Plessis will remain in charge of South Africa’s Test team for their tour of India in September-October, but Cricket South Africa haven't ruled out a new white-ball captain.

Du Plessis’ tenure came under a cloud when CSA said they might consider an interim captain to lead the Indian touring party, following a massive restructuring of the management, which saw the departure of head coach Ottis Gibson and the rest of his staff.

However, Corrie van Zyl, CSA’s acting director of cricket, confirmed that du Plessis’ place as captain of the red-ball team remains secure as of now. "Faf will be the captain of the Test team and then we will talk about the white-ball strategy to 2023 and how that will affect decision-making," van Zyl said on Tuesday, 6 August.

"It's important to look forward to 2023 as well. We need a strategy to 2023, so in terms of appointing the captain we will look at how we approach that. We are having a selection meeting in the next day and a half to confirm that."

As for du Plessis, he was glad to continue in his role for the moment, but was wary and calculative of his long-term future, as both player and leader. "I'm 35, I've probably got two or three years left, hopefully more. You can't plan for that kind of thing, you have to try and plan for what every year looks like – and those are what the conversations with CSA will have to be," du Plessis said after CSA's awards ceremony, where he was named Men’s Cricketer of the Year. "What does year one look like? Year two? And then, if there is a year three, what does that look like?

"Even though I was disappointed after the World Cup, it is still special to play for this team. I wasn't thinking about quitting, it's about weighing up what the next year looks like in terms of all three formats. It's a lot of time away playing cricket. As you get older, you have to start looking at other tournaments. That's the balancing act that would need to happen."

South Africa visit India for three T20Is, followed by as many Tests. The first T20I takes place on 15 September in Dharamsala. The van Zyl-led interim selection committee will get down to discuss the team for the tour this week.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1302111

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1325 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    This is gonna be bloodbath for Saffefs

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can South Africa recall Simon Harmer? He's in astounding county form and can wreck Indian batting in Indian conditions. I don't know what the other options are!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not expecting South Africa to do much in India. They need experience. He could retire after the South African home summer.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm getting conflicting info here. I thought Gibson was appointed as team manager? Now it seems the relationship with CSA and Gibson is sour. CSA truly is pathetic and unprofessional. Disgusting, honestly. No wonder we bleed class players.

If anything, perhaps CSA needs a proper "restructuring"...

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised to see Faf still continuing as captain. South Africa went downhill under his captaincy.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a feeling India is going to do something like 2015 and dish out those dust-bowls. They got some dangerous and tough pitches in South Africa and I'm pretty sure they're gonna return the favor like last time.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This series is going to very one sided unfortunately. South Africa struggle badly in subcontinent. No elite players like AB either.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Faf is a good captain. His team tough hasn't stood up. He can't be blamed for Rabada playing the IPL and turning up to the WC tired and out of sorts. Nor can he be blamed for de Villiers running after money or Steyn getting injured at the worst time. Or Hash reaching the end of the line for that matter

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    South Africa most likely gonna get massacred. Only people who can change that are Keshav Maharaj and Rabada. They have no hope in terms of batting.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SA batting is massively poor. They probably need Amla of 2010s.

Players to watch for SA in this series:-

Aiden Markram(he was poor in SL)
    Quinton se kock
    Kagiso Rabada(he will come good this time)
    Keshav Maharaj

The lineup for SA can be:-

Elgar
    Markram
    Amla
    Faf
    Bavuma
    Bruyne
    de kock
    Rabada
    Ngidi
    Harmer
    Maharaj
    Philander

That's 12. Will probably be one between Ngidi and Philander.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1648 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    DU PLESSIS OPTIMISTIC ABOUT FUTURE AFTER AWARDS HAT-TRICK

Thursday, 08 August 2019

Standard Bank Proteas captain Faf du Plessis has reflected on his triple honour at the Cricket South Africa (CSA) awards function held in Pretoria over the weekend, saying that that his recognition as a player more than a captain really moved him.

The national skipper was named South African Cricketer of the Year, SA Players’ Player of the Year and Standard Bank ODI Cricketer of the Year.

Du Plessis was the biggest winner at the ceremony held at the Maslow Time Square Hotel and, speaking afterwards, the 35-year-old said he felt really special to be recognised so strongly.

“Getting the recognition of my peers is really special,” he said. “I've been to the awards a few times now, been nominated in a few categories and won a few trophies here and there, but never have I won the Players' Player of the Year and that in itself, especially as a captain, makes it even more special for me.

“Obviously the players recognise your performance, but as a leader that makes me extremely proud of that trophy. I've always strived for greatness more as a leader rather than as a player.”

Although South Africa disappointed at the World Cup, Du Plessis led from the front in one-day internationals, scoring more than 1 100 runs run in his last 26 matches, a run that has included three centuries and six half-centuries. At Test level, he recorded one ton and two 50s in four matches.

“To be honest, when I was a bit younger, I never really thought it would be me standing there winning the Players’ Player award,” he explained. “As I said, I've always seen myself as being the leader and stuff like that playing more of an important role compared to actually being a great player, so I'm extremely happy.

“The last two or three years there's been a good consistency about my game and I'm really happy to get some recognition for it.”

The South Africa captain also spoke about his time away from the limelight after the World Cup in England, saying it has been refreshing and added that he looked forward to playing for the Proteas in the future.

“It's been a nice break to get away from the game a little bit,” he added. “Playing for the Proteas, even though it was disappointing how I felt after the World Cup, the specialness of playing for this team is still there. And I do feel there's a huge drive from me still to play for this team.

“Hopefully there's some really good things ahead for this team and for me with the team as well.”

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    SA batting is massively poor. They probably need Amla of 2010s.

Players to watch for SA in this series:-

Aiden Markram(he was poor in SL)
    Quinton se kock
    Kagiso Rabada(he will come good this time)
    Keshav Maharaj

The lineup for SA can be:-

Elgar
    Markram
    Amla
    Faf
    Bavuma
    Bruyne
    de kock
    Rabada
    Ngidi
    Harmer
    Maharaj
    Philander

That's 12. Will probably be one between Ngidi and Philander.
    Or More like:-

Elgar
    Markram
    Amla
    Faf(c)
    Bavuma
    Harmer
    de kock(wkt)
    Philander
    Rabada
    Ngidi
    Maharaj

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Have a feeling India is going to do something like 2015 and dish out those dust-bowls. They got some dangerous and tough pitches in South Africa and I'm pretty sure they're gonna return the favor like last time.
    I think it will be batting pitches.
    India tend to make dust bowls against teams they feel threatened against and compensate them by making batting pitches against teams they feel they can beat on decent test pitches.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benchwarmer View Post
    I think it will be batting pitches.
    India tend to make dust bowls against teams they feel threatened against and compensate them by making batting pitches against teams they feel they can beat on decent test pitches.
    Will be a win-win for India either way. South Africa neither have the spinners nor the batsmen who can do well on these pitches. India should win comfortably.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or More like:-

Elgar
    Markram
    Amla
    Faf(c)
    Bavuma
    Harmer
    de kock(wkt)
    Philander
    Rabada
    Ngidi
    Maharaj
    Remove amla and take van der dussen

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1027 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Good on Faf for sticking around but South Africa will get crushed.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Even though he was on his last legs, it is more frightening for SA that Amla has now retired.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Faf will probably retire soon too. At least from test matches. He’s already 35.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Cricket South Africa is pleased to announce the appointment of Enoch Nkwe as the interim Team Director for the Standard Bank Proteas for the upcoming T20 and Test Series against India, starting on September 15.

The tour will consist of three T20 internationals and three Test matches.

The acting Director of Cricket, Corrie Van Zyl, who has been tasked with filling the vacant post, has been on the lookout for candidates for the position following the restructure of the national men’s team

Commenting on the appointment Van Zyl said: “We are pleased to announce Enoch Nkwe as the interim team director of the Standard Bank Proteas for the tour to India. His appointment is as a result of his merits and balanced approach and is someone who compliments the direction that will be taken by the team going forward.”

The bizhub Highveld Lions head coach has an impressive record of bringing the winning culture back to the Johannesburg-based outfit. In his first season as mentor he led the franchise to two trophies (CSA T20 Challenge and 4-Day Franchise Series). In addition, he led the Jozi Stars to the inaugural Mzansi Super League title. With the appointment he will be afforded the opportunity to select his coaching staff that will work alongside him in India.

On being appointed the interim Director, Nkwe expressed his appreciation for the opportunity: “It is a tremendous honour and privilege to lead the Standard Bank Proteas as the interim team director. It is a special moment for me and my family and I will do my best to make a difference in this interim period. I am extremely excited about the challenge that lies ahead and am looking forward to meeting all players and staff.

“Thanks also to Cricket South Africa for giving me this opportunity and hopefully we will return from India with positive results.”

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    CSA NAME NORTJE, MUTHUSAMY AND SECOND AS NEW TEST CAPS

Bavuma, Nortje and Fortuin to make T20 debuts

Tuesday, 13 August 2019

CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) today named three new caps in the Warriors duo of fast bowler Anrich Nortje and wicketkeeper/batsman Rudi Seconds as well as Hollywoodbets Dolphins spin bowling all-rounder Senuran Muthusamy in the Standard Bank Proteas Test squad for the three-match Series against India in October.

There are also three newcomers in the squad for the three-match T20 International series in bizhub Highveld Lions duo of batsman Temba Bavuma and spin bowling all-rounder Bjorn Fortuin as well as Nortje.

Quinton de Kock will captain the T20 squad with Rassie van der Dussen as vice-captain while Temba Bavuma will be the vice-captain to Faf du Plessis in the Test match squad.

Aiden Markram, Theunis de Bruyn and Lungi Ngidi were not considered for T20 selection as they will be continuing their preparation for the Test series by playing in South Africa A’s four-day matches against India A.

“All three newcomers to the Test side have more than earned their spurs through impressive performances in last season’s Four-Day Franchise competition,” commented CSA Acting Director of Cricket, Corrie van Zyl.

“We feel we have covered all the options for the conditions we are likely to encounter on the sub-continent with Muthusamy and Dane Piedt, who was far and away the leading wicket-taker in our Four-Day competition, providing the back-up to Keshav Maharaj.

“Zubayr Hamza made an impressive start to his Test career against Pakistan last season when Faf du Plessis was ruled out and the retirement of Hashim Amla creates a further opportunity for him.

“The T20 Series gives us the last chance to have a look at our leadership and batting options as the next edition of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup is now little more than a year away which is why we have gone with an inexperienced leadership group. This is our last chance to do this before we settle on an established squad.

“I would like to stress that Faf du Plessis remains an important part of our plans for white-ball cricket.

“As far as the T20 squad is concerned, Temba Bavuma and Bjorn Fortuin were two of the standout players in the CSA T20 Challenge last season while Nortje was outstanding in the Mzansi Super League until ruled out by injury.

“This is very much a form squad with players being rewarded for their consistent performances at franchise level. This applies equally to Junior Dala and Jon-Jon Smuts,” concluded Van Zyl.

Standard Bank Test match squad: Faf du Plessis (Multiply Titans, capt), Temba Bavuma (bizhub Highveld Lions, vice-capt), Theunis de Bruyn (Multiply Titans), Quinton de Kock (Multiply Titans), Dean Elgar (Multiply Titans), Zubayr Hamza (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras), Keshav Maharaj (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Aiden Markram (Multiply Titans), Senuran Muthusamy (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Multiply Titans), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Vernon Philander (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras), Dane Piedt (World Sports Betting Cape Cobras), Kagiso Rabada (bizhub Highveld Lions), Rudi Second (Warriors).

Standard Bank T20I squad: Quinton de Kock (Multiply Titans, capt), Rassie van der Dussen (bizhub Highveld Lions, vice-capt), Temba Bavuma (bizhub Highveld Lions), Junior Dala (Multiply Titans), Bjorn Fortuin (bizhub Highveld Lions), Beuran Hendricks (bizhub Highveld Lions), Reeza Hendricks (bizhub Highveld Lions), David Miller (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Andile Phehlukwayo (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Dwaine Pretorius (bizhub Highveld Lions), Kagiso Rabada (bizhub Highveld Lions), Tabraiz Shamsi (Multiply Titans), Jon-Jon Smuts (Warriors).

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Muthusamy receives maiden Proteas call up

Durban – Hollywoodbets Dolphins all-rounder Senuran Muthusamy has been handed his maiden call up for the Standard Bank Proteas’ test squad that will take on India in a three test series in India in October.

The stylish left handed batsman has been one of the stand out players for the Dolphins in red ball cricket for the past few seasons and his exploits in the white clothing earned his a call up to the SA ‘A’ squad in 2018.

A player that is rarely out of the game and can contribute equally with both the blade and the ball will be one of three spinners in the Proteas squad along with Dolphins team mate Keshav Maharaj and the returning Dane Piedt.

“I am overwhelmed with the selection and all of the messages that I have received,” the soft spoken Muthusamy said.

“It is the dream of any cricketer to be selected in your national test squad and I cannot wait to get to India with the team and hopefully make my debut on this tour.

“We still have the spin camp as well as the SA ‘A’ tour to India so there is plenty of time for me to prepare for the test series.”

To add another potential Protea to the list of Dolphins that have gone on to represent the country is a feather in the cap for the management at the franchise.

“We are extremely proud of Senuran’s selection for the Proteas squad,” CEO of KZN Cricket Heinrich Strydom said.

“It’s the pinnacle of cricket to represent your country on the test match stage and to have Senuran join Keshav in the set-up is a testament to the strides we are making at KZN Cricket.

“We cannot wait to see how he goes and we hope that he learns as much as possible whilst being surrounded by our national squad.”

Fellow Dolphins Andile Phehlukwayo and David Miller have been included in the Proteas T20 squad for the three match T20I series against India.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    JOHANNESBURG: South Africa’s interim team director Enoch Nkwe says he will look to English Premier League football coach Pep Guardiola for inspiration during his side’s upcoming tour of India.

Nkwe replaces West Indian Ottis Gibson, the previous head coach, for the trip which starts in September and includes three Tests and three Twenty20 Internationals.

Nkwe’s role, though, is all-encompassing and marries the role of head coach, selector and team manager, with other members of the support team reporting directly to him — a similar role to that of a European-style director of football.

Nkwe, 36, told a press conference on Thursday that he was a big fan of Manchester City manager Guardiola and the way he creates successful environments.

“He is on another level. There are a lot of things you can learn from different sporting codes. I have followed his work and enjoy how he backs his philosophy, he always tries to set new boundaries and break new records,” he said. “Seeing his growth, from coaching one of the biggest clubs in the world [Barcelona] at the age of 37, is an inspiration.”

Nkwe’s appointment drew criticism from some former national team players, given his relative lack of experience — he did not play international cricket — and despite his success coaching the Lions in the 2018-19 domestic season.

Nkwe, though, has had coaching spells as assistant with the Netherlands national side, on the Canadian T20 circuit and with the South African ‘A’ side, including a tour to India, and argues he has enough know-how to take the team forward.

“I don’t feel it is a suicide mission [in India],” he told reporters. “As a coach I strongly believe that every challenge is an opportunity. As management we need to create the right environment as soon as possible.

“I have just been in Canada working with some of the best T20 players in the world. Just to manage Chris Gayle is a massive task in itself!

“Being someone that is always open to new experiences and learning, the last year has been massive in my coaching career and as a person.”

Nkwe will be backed up by batting, bowling and fielding coaches who are expected to be former players with experience of playing or working in India.

“I will take full responsibility for how things unfold in India, but I like to create the environment where each coach has a say, learns and grows,” Nkwe added.

South Africa start the tour with the limited overs matches, the first in Dharamsala on Sept 15 and the remaining two in Mohali (Sept 18) and Bangalore (Sept 22). The Tests follow in Visakhapatnam (Oct 2-6), Pune (Oct.10-14) and Ranchi (Oct 19-23), the first for the team in the newly-formed ICC Test Championship.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1499740/sa...la-inspiration

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Cape Town - Faf du Plessis revealed that he will remain captain of the Proteas T20 side despite not being named in the limited overs squad in India.

Earlier this week, Cricket South Africa (CSA) announced that Quinton de Kock will captain the T20 side and Du Plessis in the Tests.

The Proteas tour India and play the first of three T20Is on September 15 in Dharamsala, while their Test series gets underway on October 2 in Visakhapatnam.

On Thursday, CSA acting director of cricket Corrie van Zyl stated that Du Plessis remains an important part for the Proteas in white-ball cricket.

"The mandate for the national team and for Enoch (Nkwe) as the team director is obviously to win and be successful in India. Our approach in the T20 will be a little more experimentation looking at the T20 World Cup next year," said Van Zyl in Johannesburg.

"(Regarding) the captaincy role, Faf is not apart of this but (he is) very much part of the T20 team."

Meanwhile, in an interview with the Mumbai Mirror this week, Du Plessis maintains that he is still the T20 captain and revealed that he may retire following the 2020 T20 World Cup in Australia.

"Cricket South Africa are going to use opportunities through the season to bring in different captains in white-ball cricket to prepare for when I'm going to be done after the T20 World Cup. I'm still the captain of the T20 team and very much part of it," Du Plessis told the Indian publication.

Proteas Test match squad v India:

Faf du Plessis (Titans, capt), Temba Bavuma (Highveld Lions, vice-capt), Theunis de Bruyn (Titans), Quinton de Kock (Titans), Dean Elgar (Titans), Zubayr Hamza (Cape Cobras), Keshav Maharaj (Dolphins), Aiden Markram (Titans), Senuran Muthusamy (Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Titans), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Vernon Philander (Cape Cobras), Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras), Kagiso Rabada (Highveld Lions), Rudi Second (Knights)

Proteas T20I squad v India:

Quinton de Kock (Titans, capt), Rassie van der Dussen (Highveld Lions, vice-capt), Temba Bavuma (Highveld Lions), Junior Dala (Titans), Bjorn Fortuin (Highveld Lions), Beuran Hendricks (Highveld Lions), Reeza Hendricks (Highveld Lions), David Miller (Dolphins), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins), Dwaine Pretorius (Highveld Lions), Kagiso Rabada (Highveld Lions), Tabraiz Shamsi (Titans), Jon-Jon Smuts (Warriors)

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Pr...-tour-20190816

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1648 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Rudi Second, one of the new caps in the Standard Bank Proteas Test squad to play three Tests in India in October, has suffered an injury while practising with the South Africa A side that will require immediate surgery and he has consequently been ruled out of the touring party.

His place with be taken by Multiply Titans wicketkeeper/batsman Heinrich Klaasen.

“Klaasen is part of the one-day squad for the South Africa A tour and he will now be added to the squad in Second’s place for the four-day series that will assist his preparation for the Proteas Test series,” commented CSA Acting Director of Cricket Corrie van Zyl.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has also announced the switching of venues for the Test section of the tour. The second Test match will now be played at Pune and the final one at Ranchi.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1648 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) today announced Interim Team Director Enoch Nkwe’s support staff for the Standard Bank Proteas tour to India next month. The tour consists of three T20 International matches followed by three Test matches which will mark the start of the Proteas ICC Test Match Championship campaign.

“In terms of the new team structure the Team Director appoints his three assistant coaches who have specific skills focus in the three key disciplines of batting, bowling and fielding,” commented CSA Acting Director of Cricket Corrie van Zyl.

“Former Proteas all-rounder Lance Klusener will fill the role of assistant coach (batting) for the T20 Series only. His record as one of the best all-rounders in the world, particularly in white ball cricket, during his playing career speaks for itself and he also has extensive coaching experience both at franchise and international level.

“Vincent Barnes will be the assistant coach (bowling). He also has extensive coaching experience at international level and his knowledge of playing conditions in India will make his contribution invaluable. Vincent currently also fills the role of the HP Bowling Lead for CSA.

“Justin Ontong will fill the role of assistant coach (fielding). He has built up a strong relationship with the players over the last two years and is an acknowledged expert in this department.

“Enoch is targeting a batting coach who has extensive knowledge of Indian conditions for the Test series and we will be in a position to announce this successful candidate shortly.

“As previously announced, all the technical staff – Performance Analyst Prasanna Agoram, Strength and Conditioning Coach Greg King and physiotherapist Craig Govender – have been retained. Unfortunately, Craig has recently undergone knee surgency so a temporary replacement will travel with the team to India,” concluded Van Zyl.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1648 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    India’s squad for 3 T20Is against South Africa: Virat Kohli (Capt), Rohit Sharma (vc), KL Rahul, Shikhar Dhawan, Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Rishabh Pant (WK), Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Krunal Pandya, Washington Sundar, Rahul Chahar, Khaleel Ahmed, Deepak Chahar, Navdeep Saini

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dhoni dropped👏👏👏👏

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manish Pandey should be dropped as well. Play Iyer and Pant in M.O.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

South Africa Look To Pick Brains Of IPL Regulars Ahead Of India T20Is: Rassie Van Der Dussen

South Africa have put their focus on the shortest format after a dismal show in the 50-over World Cup. En route to the 2020 T20 World Cup, the Quinton de Kock-led side will take on India in a three-match T20 International series, starting on Sunday in Dharamsala. Vice-captain Rassie van der Dussen said South Africa will bank on IPL regulars Quinton de Kock and David Miller to lead by example in the tough series in India. "Quinton and David have played a lot of cricket in India. We will look to feed off them and ask them a lot of questions about the conditions, the kind of bowlers we would be facing so we can quickly adapt against a strong side like India," Rassie van der Dussen said in a media interaction.

De Kock will captain the team in the absence of Faf du Plessis, who will be in India for the Test series. Van der Dussen, who impressed in the 50-over World Cup in an otherwise forgettable tournament for the Proteas, has been elevated to vice-captaincy less than a year after he made his international debut.

"We have had two tough training sessions since we have been here and two more are coming up. It has been pretty hot and humid, pretty much like Durban. It is definitely an advantage that we came here a week before the first game." Van der Dussen feels captaincy will only make de Kock a better player.

"Quinton is one of those guys who leads by example. He doesn't say a lot but when he speaks he says really valuable things. He has won a lot of games for South Africa and everyone respects him for that. I am sure the captaincy band around his arm will bring more out of him," said de Kock's deputy.

India hammered South Africa at home in the Test series played four years ago but lost the T20 and ODI series. One of the T20s was at the scenic HPCA Stadium and South Africa won the game by seven wickets.

"We have had a look at the conditions, Proteas beat India by seven wickets the last time here. It will be a good wicket to bat on. The boundaries are 65 metres all around, they are not really big. We know what India are going to throw at us and we will prepare accordingly," said the 30-year-old from Pretoria.

South Africa have regrouped for the first time since the disappointing World Cup campaign and the players are raring to go, said va der Dussen.

"Last time, we were together at the World Cup. It was a disappointing showing by the team. But now it is a fresh start, we have a new coaching staff. We have spoken a lot about in the last few days how we want to be as a team. We have got a few new faces so it always brings the energy up.

"India are one of the strongest teams in the world, especially in home conditions. They have played some cricket recently against the West Indies. It gives us the advantage of looking at the players and what they are likely to do. We have been off for a while as a team and guys are fresh and raring to go," van der Dussen added.

https://sports.ndtv.com/india-vs-sou...mpression=true

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Proteas eager to get India tour started

Saturday, 14 September 2019

The Standard Bank Proteas are keen to get their tour of India off to a winning start as they gear up for their first T20 international encounter against their hosts at the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium in Dharamshala on Sunday.

The tour consists of three matches across three different venues (Dharamshala, Mohali and Bangalore) that boast different conditions, but David Miller believes that the team is more than up to the challenge. He is backing the experience that each team member has of playing in India in their different capacities either from a national or South Africa A or emerging team perspective.

“A lot of the guys have played for the A side and have recently been over here playing cricket before we arrived,” he commented during the pre-match press conference this afternoon. “A lot of the guys have played in India before even if it’s not necessarily for South Africa but for the A side and other groups that have come here, so they are experienced in playing in these conditions. Looking at the three venues that we’re playing at, I think they are going to be good conditions. We’ve prepped really well and I think the guys are just really eager to go out there and play good cricket.

The tour is South Africa’s first for the 2019/2020 season and Miller is excited by the changes that the new-look team comes with. Former Imperial Lions coach Enoch Nkwe and Quinton de Kock were named Interim Team Director and T20 team captain respectively ahead of the outing and Miller believes that the changed leadership and personnel bring about a lot to look forward to in the transitional phase that the Proteas are navigating their way through.

“It’s exciting times. New skipper, new players and coaching staff and a lot of young fresh faces,” the explosive batsman continued. “It’s been really good so far and hopefully we’ll do really good things out there on the field tomorrow. Quinton’s been around for many years and he’s got an incredible cricket brain and I’m looking forward to helping him out in whatever manner he needs me to.

“There’s a new phase in South African cricket at the moment and it’s exciting times. We’ve been training really hard the last 10 days or so and I think everyone is eager to get the games going and test ourselves. We’ve come to win and we want to make a mark and really show what we’re capable of.”

When asked about the pressures that come with becoming a senior player and informing his own knowledge and experience on newer players, Miller said:

“I feel, when playing for your country, there’s always a lot of responsibility, regardless of whether you are less or more experienced in the side. I’ve been playing for many years now and that responsibility has been with me for a couple of years now and it’s really exciting. There’s a lot of good things to look forward to, it’s a young side. We’ve got a lot of energy around the squad and there’s a lot of guys who have a lot of experience having played a lot of cricket whether for the A side or domestically so you almost find that you don’t have to speak much on conditions, more on the cricket itself. We’ve got a really excited group of guys here and we all feel like tomorrow can’t come soon enough.”

The first T20 will be broadcast live on SuperSport 2 at 15:30 (SAST).

T20 international series fixtures

Sunday, 15 September: 1st T20I vs India – Dharamshala

Wednesday, 18 September: 2nd T20I vs India – Mohali

Sunday, 22 September: 3rd T20I vs India – Bangalore

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T20s can get competitive but in tests I am afraid lots of pain in store for the Saffers, for viewers' sake hope they don't get tortured too much and put up some fight. Guys like Faf, Rabada, Philander, Elgar, Kock, Markram have done nothing in their careers in Asia, time to correct their past failures.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    T20s can get competitive but in tests I am afraid lots of pain in store for the Saffers, for viewers' sake hope they don't get tortured too much and put up some fight. Guys like Faf, Rabada, Philander, Elgar, Kock, Markram have done nothing in their careers in Asia, time to correct their past failures.
    is philander going to hide again? he always hides and skips the difficult indian tour. That's why I respect steyn the most. GOAT bowler. i hope bumrah can consistently good enough to reach dale steyn's status as a GOAT test bowler.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 14th September 2019 at 18:50.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

India v South Africa | 1st T20I | Dharamsala | 15th September, 2019 | Match Thread

The retirement of stalwarts from their previous generation, and a change in leadership have left South Africa wearing a thin look, but starting with the series against India, they have a year to build up before the T20 World Cup

Overview

India v South Africa, 1st T20I
    Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium, Dharamsala
    Sunday, 15 September; 07:00pm local time, 01:30pm GMT

Four years after they kickstarted their previous tour of India with a 200-run T20 chase, South Africa return to the site of that triumph – Dharamsala – a changed outfit. Three of their stalwarts from the previous generation – AB de Villiers, Hashim Amla and Dale Steyn – aren’t around, while Faf du Plessis isn’t in charge of the T20I team.

This is the start of a new era in South African cricket, one they will usher into with Quinton de Kock as their captain in the shortest format. After a disappointing ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019, they have exactly a year to rebuild and show up for contention at next year’s T20 World Cup in Australia. That work begins now, with the tour of India, where they clinched the T20Is 2-0 the last time they visited these shores for a bilateral series.

India, ranked fourth in the world, haven’t exactly cracked the T20 code. This is the start of a big cycle for the Virat Kohli-led team in the shortest format, where they are slated to play nine more games by the end of this year, and a further eight by next summer’s Indian Premier League.

Coach Ravi Shastri has already spelled out the need to have a long-term T20 vision, a lot of which will involve infusing youth into the squad. That has already begun with the inclusion of Khaleel Ahmed, who has been around for a while but is still unsettled and just 21, alongside those of the Chahar brothers, off-spinning all-rounder Washington Sundar, and fast bowler Navdeep Saini.

A second-wicket partnership of 65 between Shikhar Dhawan and Suresh Raina set India up for a tall total 172, before Bhuvneshwar Kumar led a strong bowling performance to rein the hosts in by seven runs, as India clinched the deciding third T20I at Newlands and won the series 2-1.

What they said

Rassie van der Dussen, South Africa batsman: "Quinton is one of those guys who leads by example. He doesn't always say a lot, but when he speaks he says really valuable things.”

Ravi Shastri, India head coach: "The vision is to keep the consistency level going. It will be a team in transition, and one has to keep an eye out for the youth and also keep an eye on developing the bench strength as far as batting and bowling goes across all three formats” – as told to Gulf News.

Conditions

Showers could hit Dharamsala in the afternoon, although it should be pretty cool even with the sun out. Dharamsala hasn’t hosted a T20I since the ICC World T20 2016. New Zealand successfully defended a total of 142 in the last match played here.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Virat Kohli, the Indian captain, wants his team to play every game with a mindset to win, irrespective of the conditions or format.

India completed a successful tour to West Indies last month, having won each of the completed games across the three formats with convincing margins. Kohli expects his team to carry the similar intensity forward, as they now play South Africa in three T20Is and as many Tests at home.

“We want to win every game, whether it’s home or away, any format - we just want to go out there, play our best cricket and win,” Kohli said on the eve of the first T20I to be played in Dharamsala on Sunday, 15 September.

“For us as a home team, we have to absolutely sure of our game plan. The way we prepare for overseas series, where we have to be very focused, it’s the same. International cricket is nowadays about the mindset. As coach Ravi Shastri has said in the past - ‘every condition can be home condition if you feel comfortable’. I think it’s getting into the frame of mindset for us, and hence we have been one of the most consistent teams in the last two-three years.”

India have opted to rest senior bowlers Bhuvaneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah and spin twins Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal for the upcoming series, which presents an opportunity for the younger lot which includes Khaleel Ahmed, Navdeep Saini, Deepak Chahar and Rahul Chahar. With the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2020 in sight, Kohli sees every T20I as a roadmap to the event.

"We wanted to give opportunities to players who have done well for the past two years in the domestic circuit and T20 cricket in the IPL," he said. "It is about finding the best possible balance we can for the side and not necessarily stick to one particular type of balance. If other teams can bat till number nine, so why cannot we? Whatever decisions are made, they are made looking at the future."

"The first two to three T20I series will help us assess every situation. Definitely the roadmap for T20 World Cup in 2020 is on our mind. It is an exciting prospect looking at the new bunch of guys in our lineup."

The 30-year old cleared the air regarding speculations over his former captain MS Dhoni's retirement, which had been brought about by a tweet he had put up on Wednesday, September 11. "I had nothing in my mind. I was sitting at home and I normally put out a photograph and it became a news."

"I think it was a lesson for me, that the way I think, the whole world does not think that way. There was nothing in farthest stretch of my imagination (that it could be taken as retirement tribute) while putting that picture out on social media. People interpreted it in a different manner in which there was not even an iota of truth."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1343023

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Toss delayed due to rain

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Toss delayed due to rain
    Still the case.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1648 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    1st T20I washed out.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Standard Bank Proteas batsman, Aiden Markram has said the team is mentally ready to face the challenges that come with touring in India as they continue their preparation for their three-match Test series starting on 02 October 2019 in Visakhapatnam. Before that highly anticipated fixture however, South Africa will play a three-day warm-up match against an invitational XI starting tomorrow in Vijayanagaram.

Speaking after the team’s rained out practice on Wednesday, the 24-year-old opening batsman admitted that, while there may be some players who carry scars from their previous tour to the subcontinent nation, the language and mindset in the changeroom is about playing positively, “finding a way” to overcome their situations and not to dwell on the difficulty of the conditions.

He said; “I remember watching that series a few years ago and it looked incredibly difficult. And I’m sure there’s a bit of baggage that certain players that were on that tour might still be carrying but that’s completely fine. I think it’s never an easy tour coming to anywhere in the subcontinent, let alone India. It’s full of challenges, but if we can conquer those challenges it will be really rewarding. The guys are positive and upbeat and we’re maintaining a really good language in the changeroom, a really strong language. At the end of the day, we’re not gonna harp on about conditions, we pretty much know what to expect and we just need to get the job done.”

Markram joined the Test squad after scoring a fine, 161 in the second of two four-day matches for the South Africa “A” team against their Indian counterparts in Mysore. The match ended in a draw, but the series was won 1-0 by India “A” after winning their first encounter by seven wickets. Markram admitted that while it was nice to get some runs under his belt, he was fully aware that they would not be likely to receive wickets close to those they played on during the “A” tour.

“It was nice. From a personal perspective, it was nice to spend time out in the middle. I think the wickets we get (in the Proteas tour of India) will be a lot different to the wickets we got in the “A” series,” he explained. “But like I said, it’s nice to spend time out there, and in the field as well, it was nice for us as fielders to be on our feet for long periods of time and for our bowlers to bowl plenty of spells in these hot conditions. I took a lot from the “A” side games and I’m ready to go in the Test matches.

“It’s always nice to be back in the Proteas environment. We had a good few weeks with the A-side and played some good cricket here and there, but like I said, it’s good to be back in the environment and looking forward to the Test series.

“There’s always a couple of positives from spending time at the crease, I’m trying to nit-pick at those positives and take as much as I can from those knocks. Preparation going into this series is gonna be massive and each little bit that we can take going into the series will help.”

On returning to a Test squad that has seen a lot of changes in recent times with a new-look team structure, coaching staff and group of youngsters, Markram commented on how invigorating the changes have been for the team environment.

“It’s nice to be back in the camp. There’s a lot of new faces and it’s exciting times with the change of staff and quite a few new players as well,” he continued. “There’s lots of new and refreshing energy in the camp and the guys look to be in good spirits so we’re looking forward to the series.”

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1648 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think visitors will play 5 bowling options with Philander at 7 which i think is a great move .
    Would love to see hosts doing the same with Ashwin & Jadeja at 7 & 8 but will not happen.
    Dodgy weather it seems at Vizag

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Philander, Rabada, Ngidi, Piedt and Maharaj. The 5 bowlers I think for SA.

Lineup will be:-

Elgar
    Markram
    Bruyn/ Hamza
    Bavuma
    Faf(c)
    de Kock
    Philander
    Rabada
    Ngidi
    Maharaj
    Piedt

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Philander, Rabada, Ngidi, Piedt and Maharaj. The 5 bowlers I think for SA.

Lineup will be:-

Elgar
    Markram
    Bruyn/ Hamza
    Bavuma
    Faf(c)
    de Kock
    Philander
    Rabada
    Ngidi
    Maharaj
    Piedt
    still a very strong team. s.afrixa will surprise a lot of people but I expect india to win 3 0 regardless.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Rabada looks a shadow of the Bowler couple years ago. No rhythm or sharpness, I expect him to get injured before the series.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Vernon Philander, the South Africa fast bowler, can't wait for the three-match Test series against India to begin, which will also mark the start of his team's ICC World Test Championship campaign.

South Africa drew their warm-up match against Board President's XI in Vizianagaram on Saturday, 28 September, after the first day's play was washed out due to rain. They scored 279/6 in their first innings and dismissed eight players of the opposition side for 265 before play ended. Philander starred with both bat and ball, scoring a 49-ball 48 and then picking up 2/27, which included the prized wicket of Rohit Sharma.

The paceman was pleased with his performance and believes the practice will be useful when they face India on Wednesday, 2 October in Visakhapatnam. "It’s always good to have some time out in the middle," he said after the conclusion of the final day of the practice game. "Fortunately for me, I came here a couple of days earlier to join the A side… to get a bit of a game time.

"Mainly it’s just about getting a feel for the wickets. It is going to be a tough series, obviously, so the more time you spend out there in the middle, the better."

South Africa will be playing their first Test series after the retirements of stalwarts Hashim Amla and Dale Steyn and Philander feels it will be a big opportunity for the senior players to step up and make statements. Philander, who made his Test debut in 2011, is one of South Africa's most successful bowlers in recent times with 214 wickets to his name at an astounding average of 21.64. Having got off to a good start in the warm-match match, the 34-year-old is confident of doing well in the coming days.

"Spotlight will be on a lot of big players to make a statement. Our job is to come here and give the first punch as India is obviously expected to do well. We are known as a team who starts slow so this time around we have to start well. There is a lot of pressure on players [but then] it’s international cricket and you want to keep it that way.

"We are obviously prepared to do well. When we do well, it gives you that better confidence and I’ll take that confidence with me. It’s been a long winter for me and I am feeling in really good nick."

South Africa are the only team apart from Bangladesh and Pakistan yet to start their World Test Championship campaign and Philander mused that while India will be a tough opposition to meet first up, they are looking forward to the contest. "The Test championship brings in a new dimension. It is a new sort of excitement for players. Also knowing that you will be playing against top teams more often [is great].

"It’s a tough start…playing India in India but I don’t think the South Africans would have wanted it any other way… take the big dogs in their home ground. All of us are looking forward to this challenge and there are a lot of player-to-player challenges as well. Can’t wait to get going."

Philander was exceptional in South Africa's last Test series against India in 2018 and picked up 15 wickets in three Tests at an impressive average of 15.86. Now, as one of the senior players in the side and leader of the Proteas bowling line-up, he has called on the experienced players take up the mantle to strengthen the base and leave behind a legacy for the younger ones to take over.

"We have lost some senior players and there are new players coming in and we want them to learn quickly. Hopefully we can use the experience of the senior players that are still around and mold this into a good Test side for the years to come. That’s the most important part, to lay a good foundation for players to take forward."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1362835

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Rishabh Pant has been dropped from India’s playing XI for the first Test against South Africa, captain Virat Kohli confirmed on Tuesday, October 1. Wriddhiman Saha will take the gloves in his place.

Pant’s place in the side has been under scrutiny, given his poor form. During the tour of the Caribbean in August, coach Ravi Shashtri had said the 21-year-old needed a “rap on the knuckles” for his shot selection, after Pant was dismissed for golden ducks twice against West Indies.

Pant also thereafter fared poorly in the T20Is against South Africa, and his dismissal in the second T20I for 19 after the top order had collapsed, was seen as another example of his inability to play through a tough period.

That said, Pant has a good record in Test cricket. Since making his debut against England in August 2018, he has scored 754 runs in 11 matches, including two centuries overseas.

Pant’s loss, however, is Saha’s gain. The Bengal wicket-keeper batsman has mostly been first-choice wicket-keeper for India since the retirement of MS Dhoni, but was sidelined with injury for most of 2018. He played his last Test against South Africa in January that year, and though he was available for the two Tests in the Caribbean, Pant was preferred over him.

However, Pant’s form, particularly in the limited-overs formats, has opened the door again for Saha for the South Africa Test.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1365738

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    To excel on the tour of India, South Africa not just need players who can fight but a strong support staff too, says former international Jonty Rhodes. South Africa did start India tour on a positive note, drawing the three-match T20I series 1-1. However, they had to endure a crushing 203-run defeat in the series opening first Test in Vizag, conceding a 0-1 lead to the hosts.

“If you come to India, it’s not just the players that need to perform,” Rhodes told The New Indian Express. “There has to be a strong back-up system because it is a long hard tour. As a South African player, it is pretty demanding. I think we have only won the Test series once with Hansie Cronje in 1999 when Mark Boucher played really well. So you need those sort of fighters in the side and now the South African team has had a lot of changes.”

He added, “Recently, I got a lot of flak in South Africa after I spoke about the lack of unity in the South African team. What I meant was that apart from the senior players that you have spoken about, we don’t have a coaching staff. It’s an interim coaching staff.”

Rhodes says South Africa, who last won a Test series under Hansie Cronje in 2001-02. Since then, they have toured the country four times with India winning two of the series while the other ended in a draw. South Africa have also been dealing with the retirement of several stalwarts in the past one year or so including the likes of AB de Villiers, Hashim Amla and Dale Steyn.

“It’s hard to replace Steyn, Amla or De Villiers. We have great fast bowlers in the side. We have guys who have got the skills, but have they done it before? No! The experience is what South Africa is going to miss and they have got a brand new management team. So I don’t see a lot of positives from the South African point of view. It’s always tough here but it’s going to be a hard tour,” Rhodes said.

Comparing the set-up to that of world’s top-ranked Test team India, Rhodes believes that a strong backroom staff allows the players to flourish. “The Indian set-up is really well established, top of the log. They are performing well on the field but if you look at their management structure, they have retained most of them again. They have very strong backroom staff and that allows the team to play to the best of their abilities,” he said.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...-rhodes-898185

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    isakhapatnam - Proteas interim team director Enoch Nkwe wants to channel the philosophy of title-laden Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola to turn the suffering South African side into a winning force.

Following India's 203-run mauling of his team in the first Test on Sunday, captain Faf du Plessis and Nkwe pleaded for patience as the squad rebuilds after Dale Steyn's and Hashim Amla's retirement.

Nkwe, 36, said he wants to see South Africa follow Guardiola's innovative style and produce a brave team - but he warned it would take time.

"What I want is this team to have the courage, in certain situations, to really back themselves," he said.

"I suppose that every coach that comes in has a different philosophy."

Nkwe has only an interim contract with South Africa so far, and was appointed for the Indian tour.

He caught the attention of the South African public and national federation after making a spectacular start as a coach, winning the four-day and T20 titles with the Highveld Lions in one year.

Nkwe said South Africa must "be able to control sessions a lot longer for period of time with both bat or ball.

"But also be a lot smarter and be very innovative in certain situations."

He said he was looking forward to how his team recovers from the past setbacks, and responds to each match.

The team put up a spirited fight before Mohammed Shami's 5-35 on the final day dealt a devastating blow to the tourists in Visakhapatnam.

Opening batsman Dean Elgar stood out with his 160 in South Africa's first innings score of 431.

Nkwe said Guardiola has a knack of improving systems, and admires his total passion for football - something that resonated with his love for cricket.

"I feel I have so much to offer to the game, especially back in our country."

Nkwe's dream was to make a difference in people's lives, he said, and feels now he can.

"I will keep driving forward to ensure that the team keeps growing, keeps believing in themselves that they can achieve greater heights."

Nkwe, who played only 42 first class games in South Africa before injury cut short his career, said the challenge of touring India will define the team's character in the coming years.

"My biggest focus is to help this team create a strong foundation. We have lot of work behind the scenes (so) that this team grows in the next four years," he said.

"Ultimately it's about the big picture and we need to be patient with players that might take a bit of time to produce the type of performances we are looking forward to.

"And this is a great place to see that. What sort of character of the team we have and what sort of areas we need to really look at and look to rectify as quickly as possible."

With the second Test starting in Pune on Thursday, Nkwe has some quick thinking to do to start lifting his team.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Pr...-nkwe-20191007

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1648 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    ‘Not doing captaincy when with bowlers’ - Shoaib Akhtar on skipper Virat Kohli

Indian cricket has become a dominant force under the captaincy of Virat Kohli and several former cricketers have hailed the skipper for ushering in a new era as far as the fast-bowlers are concerned. Echoing these sentiments, former Pakistan pacer Shoaib Akhtar has lauded India skipper Virat Kohli, saying that the 30-year-old is a ‘bowler’s captain’ and thrives in seeing his pacers rattling the opposition.

“Virat Kohli is a bowler’s captain. Kohli is not doing captaincy when he is with the bowlers, he is enjoying the bowlers rattling the opposition. It is a good thing that Indian bowlers have such a good captain,” Akhtar said on his Youtube channel.

Akhtar also revealed that Shami called him up after India’s World Cup semi-final loss against New Zealand. The 44-year-old pacer said that he has always believed in Shami’s abilities as a reverse-swing bowler.

His remarks came after Shami’s five-wicket haul against South Africa in the second innings of the first Test. India had defeated Proteas by 203 in the first Test at Vishakapatnam.

Akhtar also said that it is unfortunate that the Pakistan pacers do not rely on him for advice.

“After India’s World Cup disappointment, Shami called me up and said he was feeling sad that he could not do well for India. I told him not to lose heart but to maintain his fitness. I told him that I want him to become an out and out fast bowler, he has a reverse swing, which is a luxury in the sub-continent, I told him you can become king of reverse swing,” said Akhtar.

“Now, you see what he has done, he has got wickets from a flat pitch in Visakhapatnam. I am very happy for him. Sadly, our Pakistani fast bowlers do not ask me how they can improve their bowling but the Indian bowlers like Shami are doing that. It is a sad scenario as far as my country is a concern,” Akhtar said.

Rohit Sharma was exceptional in the first Test as he scored 176 runs in the first innings and then he went on to score 126 in the second innings. With this, he became only the second Indian opener to score centuries in both innings of a Test match.

“Rohit Sharma is hitting hundred after hundred and I have been saying that Rohit should be in the Indian Test team. Form here, he will become a great Test player. Rohit the Test player will grow bigger. Mayank Agarwal is also in good form, Indians have a potent lineup,” Akhtar said.

In the match, Ravindra became the quickest left-arm bowler to scalp 200 wickets in Tests while Ravichandran Ashwin became joint-fastest along with Sri Lanka’s Muttiah Muralitharan to reach the milestone of 350 Test wickets.

With this win, India has now consolidated its position at the top of World Test Championship standings. The team now has 160 points from three matches.

India and South Africa will next take on each other in the second Test, slated to begin from October 10.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...727wpK3fK.html

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1648 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    DU PLESSIS CONFIDENT PROTEAS CAN BOUNCE BACK IN PUNE

JOHANNESBURG - The Proteas will aim to level the 3 match Test series against India when the second test gets under way in Pune on Thursday.

South Africa lost the first game by 203 runs, in what was also both teams' inaugural match in the World Test Championship.

A win for the Proteas would level the series and give them a great deal of momentum heading into what would be the deciding test. Getting that victory is easier said than done though.

There were definite positives from the first Test, the major one being the batting performance in the first innings and in particular the knocks that Dean Elgar and Quinton de Kock played.

In contrast, the batting collapse of the second innings will be a worrying factor, especially if the pitch in Pune turns as much as it is expected to.

Most of all, the Proteas will be looking to improve with the ball, having taken just 11 of the 20 wickets on offer across both innings.

Skipper Faf du Plessis is fully aware of the fact that they need to strike with the ball on a consistent basis.

“Obviously, we didn’t get 20 wickets in the previous match, that is something that we aware of and something that we are trying to fix. At the end of the day, taking wickets wins you Test matches so our thinking will be trying to pick players that can influence the game and win matches for the team”, he said.

Despite the loss in that first Test, du Plessis has confidence that his side will be able to bounce back.

“We are a team that is very resilient, and we come back almost always. We’ve got a lot of character and a lot of fight but for me, its more about how we start and try put pressure on India first so that they are the ones playing catch up for the rest of the series”, he said.

In terms of getting things right with the bat and avoiding another collapse in the second innings, du Plessis feels the batters can take a lot of lessons from the way Elgar and de Kock approached their knocks.

“You have to try to put some pressure back on them otherwise they just bowl good balls all day long and then one of those balls will have your name on it. I thought that Dean and Quinton especially had a good balance between attack and defence which was key to their performances and is how we should bat in the sub-continent”, he said.

The first ball is set to be bowled at 6 am local time on Thursday.

https://ewn.co.za/2019/10/09/du-ples...e-back-in-pune

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Standard Bank Proteas batsman Aiden Markram has been ruled out of the third and final Freedom Series Test match after sustaining an injury to his right wrist during the second match in Pune.

The injury took place following the opener’s dismissal in the second innings of the match. In a moment of frustration with his own performance, he lashed out at a solid object, resulting in his injury.

Team doctor, Hashendra Ramjee said;

“A CT scan of Aiden Markram’s wrist showed a fracture involving the wrist bones. The medical team has therefore ruled him out of the next Test match against India. Arrangements have been made for him to see a specialist on his return to South Africa for further management of the injury.”

A very disappointed Markram said;

“It’s sad to be going home on this note and I completely understand what I’ve done wrong and take full accountability for it. It’s unacceptable in a Proteas environment and to let the team down is what hurts me the most. I’ve learned a lot from this and the other players I’m sure, have learned from it as well. We understand in sport that emotions run high and sometimes the frustration gets the better of you as it did for me, but like I said, it’s no excuse. I’ve taken full responsibility for it, I have apologized to the team and hopefully I can make it up to them and the people of South Africa soon.”

Markram has departed for South Africa this morning. No player has been called up as a replacement.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Faf du Plessis has lost nine straight coin tosses in Test matches played in Asia and he is desperately seeking ways to break his losing streak. So when Virat Kohli walks out for the toss ahead of the 3rd and final Test against South Africa in Ranchi on Saturday, he might find someone else representing the visitors. During a media interaction, Du Plessis said that he won't mind sending someone else to turn South Africa's fortunes around. "Probably I will send somebody else to the toss tomorrow, I'll give you that, because my record so far hasn't been great, and then if we put big runs on the board in the first innings, that's where we need to start," Du Plessis said.
    The hosts inflicted a heavy defeat on South Africa in the second Test to take an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match series.

Despite losing the series, Du Plessis has asked his players for improved performances with the bat when they face India in the third and final Test starting in Ranchi on Saturday.

"We need to put big runs on the board in the first innings," Faf du Plessis had said while addressing a press conference on Thursday.

"When you get runs in the first innings anything from there is possible. For us first innings runs will be vital and then anything could happen in the second innings," he added.

Du Plessis also asked his batsmen to learn from their Indian counterparts and put up a much-improved show in the final Test.

"If we get runs in the first innings, then anything from there is possible," said Du Plessis.

"The pitch looks a little bit drier, a little bit crustier, so first-innings runs are going to be vital, and then anything is possible in the second innings."

However, Virat Kohli insisted that India will not relax and will be eyeing a whitewash to extend their lead in the ICC World Test Championship.

https://sports.ndtv.com/india-vs-sou...es-why-2119078

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2081 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    India have called up the left-arm spinner as precautionary cover for Kuldeep Yadav, who has complained of pain in his left shoulder, for the third Test against South Africa.

The spinner has never represented the country before, but has made a name for himself in the IPL. He also has a strong record in domestic first-class cricket, having taken 424 wickets at an average of 28.59 in red-ball cricket.

India have already won the series, having taken both Tests so far. But captain Kohli has made clear that, with World Test Championship points still up for grabs, India will not be easing off in the final game.

India's other frontline spin options include Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja, both of whom have featured in the first two Test. Kuldeep will remains in the squad alongside Shahbaz.

Squad

Virat Kohli (C), Mayank Agarwal, Rohit Sharma, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Hanuma Vihari, Wriddhiman Saha, Rishabh Pant, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav, Ishant Sharma, Shubman Gill, Shahbaz Nadeem

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1455649

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Really disappointed with Rabada- struggling with rhythm, confidence and lengths.