Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Did PCB take the right decision to not extend Mickey Arthur's contract?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, he should have been allowed to stay for 2 more years as he asked

30 53.57%
  • Yes, the decision to not renew his contract is the right one

26 46.43%
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Did PCB take the right decision to not extend Mickey Arthur's contract?

Now that his contract has not been renewed, we can ask if this is the right decision for Pakistan cricket.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    No he has leeched off enough

Hopefully Karachi Kings sack him too

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Nope. If he didn't satisfy the cricket committee with his answers, then nope.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It depends on the replacement. Mickey's done a great job, however, considering the team he was given at the start of his tenure. He's really worked hard in building Pakistan back up.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1094 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Yes. Needless sacking. It's Sarfraz who needed the boot.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know the coaching candidates so I am not so sure but if there are other high profile international coaches willing to work than definitely no he doesn't deserve to get his contract extended.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Edmonton-Lahore Canada-Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No he along with Sarfraz destroyoed our test team. Look back at 2016 we were ranked #1. Then Misbah and Younis retire and Mickey gets control and just look at what's happened. And it's not like we were world beaters in ODI's under him either.

IN PAKISTAN LIES OUR DELIVERANCE,DEFENCE, AND HONOUR.
    -Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think so. Maybe an argument can be made for 1 yr and then see how he does, but right now we need to change the culture of the team and realise that we cannot accept mediocre results any longer. We need a coach who can both inspire the team as well as bring discipline to ensure our players can achieve their full potential. On top of that we need our coach to be better tactically so we don't make blunders like selecting 1 spinner in the UAE

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no need for this what so ever . He was a good coach i think its about time players take responsibilities. Local coaches are useless but lets see what happens.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    I feel that he needed another go with a new administration in charge

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Was an utter failure in tests and most of the ODIs.

In T20s opposition has often played a sub-par team, so not much reading into that.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, yes, and a RESOUNDING yes!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Depends on the replacement.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    No. We will realize it soon enough.

The only replacement that can justify this move is Deano.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel really bad for him. He really worked hard and did the best he could. I donít think any other coach will get any better results with the quality of players we have!

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    According to news reports. The PCB Cricketing Committee and Ehsan Mani also took into account the feedback from the vast majority of the players, they were highly critical of the coach, that the coach goes missing when the going gets tough, the coach throws players under the bus when the going gets tough and is not really helpful during tough times.

No Surprise Mickey Arthur was let go. Everyone knew he was out of ideas and had nothing more to offer to Pakistan Cricket. Bring someone fresh in.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Poor team selection. Didn't get the right XI in either tournament CT or World cup until midway despite given years. Poor judge of talent. Massive selection errors like no 2nd spinner in UAE. Poor record overall. Given a lot of talented players compared to what past coaches had to work with. Bad man management/handling media (Riaz comments, suicide comments). Poor PSL efforts, where he actually can be compared to others, despite often the strongest squads on paper. Poor disconnection/knowledge of domestic and past international Pakistani cricket.

Players also hardly improved under him they got worse. They flourished early joining fresh from domestic and then deterioated the longer they were in the international squad. That's not coaching developing players.

He has nearly done everything wrong. His sole saving grace was CT 17 win, take that out there's really nothing of merit. The teams/players he was given compared to Waqar Younis or even Whatmore was such a big upgrade, I wonder what they could have done with these players. Instead result wise we've got worse.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    According to news reports. The PCB Cricketing Committee and Ehsan Mani also took into account the feedback from the vast majority of the players, they were highly critical of the coach, that the coach goes missing when the going gets tough, the coach throws players under the bus when the going gets tough and is not really helpful during tough times.

No Surprise Mickey Arthur was let go. Everyone knew he was out of ideas and had nothing more to offer to Pakistan Cricket. Bring someone fresh in.
    This is something I really find abhorrent about the man. Those Riaz comments were just plain disrespectful, I still can't believe a coach could talk like that about a player. Utter lack of class.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deserved another two years with a new management team.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Sack a useless captain, not a coach who's done wonders for you.

If life on earth is temporary...what make you think that your problems are permanent?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Coach goes missing? Is he expected to be out there batting and bowling?

If this news has any authenticity, I suspect the complaints will largely be from the entitled 'seniors' who are easy to offend.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Arthur could have expected an extension - he is quite good actually for his job, but I think it's better for both party to leave apart in good terms.

He had a successful past and started well with PAK as well, within first of appointment, PCT earned two great success - a Test series draw in UK (Which resulted a No. 1 ranking, but that credit mainly goes to WY), and a CT win. Unfortunately, it was a massive decline since the CT win - disastrous Test series against SRL, NZ, SAF; even worse ODI performance; only silver lining may be T20I, which unfortunately is another curse for PAK cricket - I for one really wish that PCT starts to loose every T20I - PSL and this joke format is infesting PAK cricket from core.

I think, it's better that PCB starts fresh - a new coaching set-up, new selection panel and new Captain. Next WC is 3.5 years later and this is the best time to rebuild. Extending Arthur for 2 years would have been bigger mistake - it should be either till next WC or now, not in between.

Best of luck for Arthur as well.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything is from 'reports' and 'sources.'

However, I will not be surprised - Mickey was a bit of a choker under pressure. His attitude distilled itself into the Pakistan team and was a big reason why they would panic and lose all the key moments.

Only played well when their backs were to the wall, the pressure was off, cornered tigers and such.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Pakistan improving in ODIs under Mickey is a myth.

India, England, New Zealand, and Australia are still better than Pakistan.

South Africa has regressed after AB's and Morkel's retirement but still they beat Pakistan 3-2 in the last series played between the two teams.

Comparison with Bangladesh could always go either way and they may very well beat Pakistan at home. So, nothing major has changed.

West Indies was always a poorer side.

Nothing has changed. Elite teams will still hammer Pakistan 8 out of 10 times.

T20s rankings are highly volatile and based on the fact that Pakistan never faced India in bilaterals and other teams often played their second choice XI. The only time Mickey's team (KK) faced equally matched teams in PSL, they lost every time in eliminators. The same would have happened with the national team had they faced full strength opponents in World T20.

The test record has been the worst in recent history. Lost a test to WI in UAE, whitewashed by SL, and lost a home series to NZ in like 40(?) years. Let's also not forget the thrashing Pakistan received in South Africa, the same place where Sri Lanka went on winning a series shortly afterwards.

Even the players have regressed under Mickey.

Fakhar - totally exposed, averaged in the 20s in the world cup
    Babar - more consistent but has not won many matches yet
    Hassan - already out of team
    Shadab - his batting is a joke
    Faheem - no improvement in his batting
    Imad - poor bowler

On top of that he kept playing Hafeez and Malik in ODIs, Azhar and Asad in tests.

He has been tactically very poor as well, making several blunders in tests. Did not realize the importance of run-rate in the world cup until it was too late. The team failed to make the semis despite getting easier games in the end against Afghanistan and Bangladesh.

Overall, Mickey had one of the worst tenures for a Pakistani coach.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently Misbah-ul-Haq will be new head coach with Moin Khan as manager & Rashid Latif or Mohsin Khan as chief Selector & Shoaib Akhtar will be also one of selector. Younis Khan expected to take a charge of Pakistan U-19 & head Coaches of all 6 FC teams will be in selection comitee

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ads101 View Post
    This is something I really find abhorrent about the man. Those Riaz comments were just plain disrespectful, I still can't believe a coach could talk like that about a player. Utter lack of class.
    Riaz actually did better than expected in the WC. But that episode sums up Mickey Arthur. He came to the cricket committee meeting expecting an extension as evidenced by the fact he was hanging around with the U19 team even though he was no longer the coach

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    I do hope that the PCB have a robust plan to replace Mickey and by that I mean then have already approached the main contenders for his position?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I donít think so. I felt if anything the seniors were holding back the team and Mickeyís potential.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    No.

The World Test Championship has just started, and this is a catastrophic time to leave a leadership vacuum.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    No.

The World Test Championship has just started, and this is a catastrophic time to leave a leadership vacuum.
    True

You cannot take such huge decisions without a plan B - you cannot 'start' a robust process NOW

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    No.

Dude we won 10/28 Tests under him. Even 4/5 those were with Misbah still as captain and basically at that point Misbah was also the coach of the Test Team.

Under this Mickey Arthur dude I have seen some of the worst decisions made in Test Cricket history. Selecting 1 spinner in UAE Tests. That 2-0 defeat to SL and and series lost to NZ and drawing against the weakest Aussie side in the history of test cricket all in our fortress UAE still enrages me. UAE was our kingdom under Misbah we freaking demolished Australia and England (twice). Even Saffers greatest test team in history couldn't take us down. Heck even a team like SL who were very good back in 2013 playing in similar condtions couldn't take us down and we completed the magrhib chase under Misbah to prevent our throne from being taken. Man say what you want about UAE and Misbah but as a Pak fan we built a fortress in UAE after experiencing some of the hardest times right after the spot fixing scandal. Then after Misbah was given captaincy and it all started slow and steady with some draws. As our LOI teams got worse and worse. Misbah along with Younis were building our test team from ground up then came the English in UAE. The country in which just 1/2 years ago we faced the such great humiliation in comes to our newly adopted home. We absloutley destroy them and after that we never looked back that win was one of the greatest test victories I have ever felt. It was so emotional and then after that followed many more joyous memories in the fortress known as UAE. For 7 years teams came and tried to dethrone us but we sent them all back empty handed. At the end of the day say what you want about UAE but in those 7 years as a Pakistan cricket fan most of our joyous memories came in Tests in UAE. It was our dominion and we ruled it.

Then Misbah retires from Tests, Mickey gets control and as I mentioned we lose to the weakest SL team in UAE ever, a frail NZ team beats us, and we can't even manage to beat the weakest Australian Team I have ever seen. So say what you want this guy ruined Test Cricket for me. I loved watching us dominate teams in UAE and thanks to this dude we're not even a threat in UAE anymore. Horrible Test Coach especially for an Asian team and your using the Test Championship to justify his continuance as our head coach. I wouldn't have even care if he'd took us to the finals in the World Cup this dude needed to be removed. Now I can finally turn on the tv in October and expect us to win a series in UAE.

Excuse me for any typos writing this very late an on my phone with auto correct turned off lol.

-Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    I do hope that the PCB have a robust plan to replace Mickey and by that I mean then have already approached the main contenders for his position?
    Even if they haven't Mickey needed to go. We have 2 months till our next international fixture which is ample time to recruit new coaching members. If the tried and tested method doesn't work you alter it you don't stick with and hope for better results magically.

Mickey has dragged our Test Team down into the gutters with his decisions along with Sarfraz as captain of the longest format and he needed to go.

-Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Pakistan improving in ODIs under Mickey is a myth.

India, England, New Zealand, and Australia are still better than Pakistan.

South Africa has regressed after AB's and Morkel's retirement but still they beat Pakistan 3-2 in the last series played between the two teams.

Comparison with Bangladesh could always go either way and they may very well beat Pakistan at home. So, nothing major has changed.

West Indies was always a poorer side.

Nothing has changed. Elite teams will still hammer Pakistan 8 out of 10 times.

T20s rankings are highly volatile and based on the fact that Pakistan never faced India in bilaterals and other teams often played their second choice XI. The only time Mickey's team (KK) faced equally matched teams in PSL, they lost every time in eliminators. The same would have happened with the national team had they faced full strength opponents in World T20.

The test record has been the worst in recent history. Lost a test to WI in UAE, whitewashed by SL, and lost a home series to NZ in like 40(?) years. Let's also not forget the thrashing Pakistan received in South Africa, the same place where Sri Lanka went on winning a series shortly afterwards.

Even the players have regressed under Mickey.

Fakhar - totally exposed, averaged in the 20s in the world cup
    Babar - more consistent but has not won many matches yet
    Hassan - already out of team
    Shadab - his batting is a joke
    Faheem - no improvement in his batting
    Imad - poor bowler

On top of that he kept playing Hafeez and Malik in ODIs, Azhar and Asad in tests.

He has been tactically very poor as well, making several blunders in tests. Did not realize the importance of run-rate in the world cup until it was too late. The team failed to make the semis despite getting easier games in the end against Afghanistan and Bangladesh.

Overall, Mickey had one of the worst tenures for a Pakistani coach.
    Let's be real we have improved from 2015/16 in LOI's. But it's not dude to Arthur it's mainly because of the talent. Babar/Imam/Shadab/Amir as your best 4 is much better than say Shezzy/Misbah/Yasir/Wahab

So we have some better players in our setup now and with the right coaching staff and these guys gaining more experience we can defintley compete in the future.

The main thing is how bad Arthur has been as the Test Coach. Joke of a Coach. Just makes me so mad seeing what he's done to the test team.

-Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling that we will regret taking that decision - we simply do not have time to get another coach in and get the guys used to him

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed_99 View Post
    I don't think so. Maybe an argument can be made for 1 yr and then see how he does, but right now we need to change the culture of the team and realise that we cannot accept mediocre results any longer. We need a coach who can both inspire the team as well as bring discipline to ensure our players can achieve their full potential. On top of that we need our coach to be better tactically so we don't make blunders like selecting 1 spinner in the UAE
    What will he demonstrate in the extra year which he could't demonstrate in his entire tenure - with 2 different captains and support structures?

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling that we will regret taking that decision - we simply do not have time to get another coach in and get the guys used to him
    HIs last couple of years have been abysmal. The new coach will outshine him.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will depend on his replacement.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought it made sense to at least keep him on till the T20 WC next year, considering Pakistan's T20 record under Mickey.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebat View Post
    Thought it made sense to at least keep him on till the T20 WC next year, considering Pakistan's T20 record under Mickey.
    Big learning curve for next guy in - really no need to change him

Get him better players to work with which is the job of the Selection Committee

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Wasim Khan made the decision. He goes by results rather than emotions and Mickey Bhai. Arthur felt entitled to an extension and felt he deserved it

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Wasim Khan made the decision. He goes by results rather than emotions and Mickey Bhai. Arthur felt entitled to an extension and felt he deserved it
    He took decision based on a recommendation so its not his decision as such.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best coach after Woolmer.

In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Coach goes missing? Is he expected to be out there batting and bowling?

If this news has any authenticity, I suspect the complaints will largely be from the entitled 'seniors' who are easy to offend.
    Nailed it

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. excellent summation.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I think, PCB didnít handle the situation well.

Itís not about Arthur - PCB on their good judgement evaluated his performance and decided not to renew his contract, nothing wrong in that. What I didnít like is that despite a tight season starting just about 2 months time (from the day they took the decision of not extending Arthurís contract), there was absolutely no preparation for a smooth transition. Even the job posting (quite a poor quality ad I must say) was done on 9th August and earliest they can hire a HC is in September.

They should have taken this decision (of Arthur) right after PAK-BD game and by now should have finalised the candidate (s). BCB also replaced (sacked) their Coaching staff and by now the most of the appointments are done, HC could be finalised by this week (would have been by now but for the Eid break).

I have no issues regarding Arthur - he could have got an extension, but PCB thought they need a change for betterment of PCT - fair enough.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    I think, PCB didn’t handle the situation well.

It’s not about Arthur - PCB on their good judgement evaluated his performance and decided not to renew his contract, nothing wrong in that. What I didn’t like is that despite a tight season starting just about 2 months time (from the day they took the decision of not extending Arthur’s contract), there was absolutely no preparation for a smooth transition. Even the job posting (quite a poor quality ad I must say) was done on 9th August and earliest they can hire a HC is in September.

They should have taken this decision (of Arthur) right after PAK-BD game and by now should have finalised the candidate (s). BCB also replaced (sacked) their Coaching staff and by now the most of the appointments are done, HC could be finalised by this week (would have been by now but for the Eid break).

I have no issues regarding Arthur - he could have got an extension, but PCB thought they need a change for betterment of PCT - fair enough.
    Totally agree - I fear we have lost a lot of momentum and good feeling that was created in the team by Mickey.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He took decision based on a recommendation so its not his decision as such.
    He was the head of the cricket committee

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was no visible improvement in any player. They were making the same mistakes again and again. Yes he won CT and obvious series or two but they were there for taking.

Also, he was clinging on through cheerleading and tons of emotional blackmailing, any professional-minded individual in PCB would have asked him to step down.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering Pakistan's dominance of T20s under Mickey, thought his contract should've been extended to at least after the T20 WC.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)