Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

的 did my wholehearted effort to lift Pakistan cricket" : Mickey Arthur

Mickey Arthur said he was "disappointed and hurt" on Wednesday as he was axed as Pakistan coach following an underwhelming World Cup.

Arthur, who has been linked with a move to England, said he had done his best with Pakistan who narrowly failed to reach the World Cup semi-finals.

"I am extremely disappointed and hurt," the South African told AFP shortly after the Pakistan Cricket Board announced his departure.

"I did my wholehearted effort to lift Pakistan cricket," he added.

Arthur's contract expired after last month's World Cup, won by hosts England, and he had asked for a two-year extension.

But Pakistan Cricket Board chief Ehsan Mani said Arthur and his coaching staff, including assistants Grant Flower and Azhar Mahmood, were all out.

"PCB will be immediately undertaking a robust recruitment process after it decided not to renew the contracts of head coach Arthur, bowling coach Azhar Mahmood, batting coach Grant Flower and trainer Grant Luden," the board said in a statement.

Pakistan's new coaching staff will be appointed after a four-member committee assesses the team's performance at the World Cup, it said.

Reports say Arthur is on the shortlist of names for the next England coach after Trevor Bayliss departs following the ongoing Ashes Test series.

- 'Fresh approach' -

Pakistan lost heavily to arch-rivals India at the World Cup but finished with a record of five wins from nine matches, including one game that was rained off.

They scored 11 points and were unlucky to be pipped to the semi-finals by New Zealand -- who also had 11 points -- on net run-rate.

The PCB committee, which includes former captains Wasim Akram and Misbah-ul-Haq and which met on Friday, was unanimous in calling for new coaches.

"The committee comprised of individuals who possess tremendous acumen, experience and knowledge," Mani said.

"The unanimous recommendation of the committee was that it was time for new leadership and a fresh approach."

The PCB said it would advertise the posts soon.

Arthur joined Pakistan in May 2016, leading them to a drawn Test series with England that lifted them to the top of the rankings.

Pakistan also won the Champions Trophy in England in June 2017, raising their stock in limited-overs cricket.

That win, Arthur said, "brought on a whole new team of young players".

"We also became world number one in Twenty20 cricket in this period, which was an achievement," he said.

However, Pakistan has wilted in Tests in the last two years, losing 2-0 to Sri Lanka in the United Arab Emirates in 2017.

In all, Pakistan won 10 out of 28 Tests under Arthur, losing 17 and drawing one.

Pakistan have also struggled in ODIs in the last two years. Under Arthur, Pakistan won 29 of 66 ODIs, losing 34 with three no-results.

https://www.afp.com/en/news/824/disa...xe-doc-1jd60g2
    Last edited by MenInG; 7th August 2019 at 15:13.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If made coach, I will also give my wholehearted effort. No question. Even twice that of Mickey's.

Does not mean I will deliver good results, but will give my wholehearted effort while taking the team down to no 6 and 7.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mickey, wherever he goes, the team ends up losing.

Karachi Kings, then PAK team.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt about that. He was passionate about Pakistan cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

PAK won a major trophy under MA. Many will remember him for that. Trashing India a major final is a great achievement.

PAK also did a good job at the WC winning 5 out of 8. In the end it was luck and rain that cost PAK.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He did much better than coaches before him. However the test record was never going to improve with him in charge.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should致e stayed till World T20 2020 imo. He did better than i expected him to do.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winning only 43% of the ODIs and loosing every test series after Misbah’s retirement with the exception of Australia tour of UAE. It seems like while the effort might have been wholehearted but it wasnt enough.

Further he never looked involved in domestic cricket as other than Faheem Ashraf, Mohammad Abbas and Imam ul Haq no player was picked in LOI setup from domestics but from PSL where Mickey was able to see players because he was the head coach of KK.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Germany
    Runs
    Mentioned
    930 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Yeah, he did good job team improved in some areas and went terrible in some too.

Since his contract is over now, I don't think it is wrong from PCB not to renews no reason to feel hurt.

جاگن والیاں رجّ کے لٹیا اے،
    سوئے تسیں وی او، سوئے اسیں وی آں۔

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistani pride View Post
    PAK won a major trophy under MA. Many will remember him for that. Trashing India a major final is a great achievement.

PAK also did a good job at the WC winning 5 out of 8. In the end it was luck and rain that cost PAK.
    That trophy was a fluke.

We've been below minnows aside from that. And, don't think we've won a single Test series under him, kept losing, even at our 'home'.

Enough of his mediocrity.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That trophy was a fluke.

We've been below minnows aside from that. And, don't think we've won a single Test series under him, kept losing, even at our 'home'.

A Champions trophy win was a 素luke🙄

Head coach is to blame for your mental midget Pakistani batters like Shafiq and co? 👏👏

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KimiRaikonnen View Post
    A Champions trophy win was a ‘fluke’��

Head coach is to blame for your mental midget Pakistani batters like Shafiq and co? ����
    Who is to blame, then? The same team was unbeatable under Misbah, with the same batters Shafiq, Azhar etc.

It's about strategy, and the playing XI, which was always a losing strategy under Mickey.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Can't blame Mickey. The system in Pakistan just doesn't produce players skilled enough to win consistently and then you have inzi and Sarfraz making dumb selections. Mickey seemed to lose confidence after that Asia cup thrashing though which allowed the likes of hafeez back.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Misbah win a series in Australia or South Africa ? Misbah was a cancer to this team with his tuk tuk approach and negative mindset. We became the India of the 90s, ambushing sides through boredom on slow turners but being thrashed as soon as the team went anywhere overseas. Misbah took our cricket 20 years back while other sides moved clearly ahead in all conditions.

Also, a coach can have the best strategy but if your mental midgets cannot execute it when they get on the field because they are too incompetent to do it - then thats not the fault of the coach.

I think Pak fans deserve Mohsin Khan type people as coach - lipton chai in one hand and a mirror in the other 😎

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Mickey did the best he could working with our pathetic domestic system.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Can't blame Mickey. The system in Pakistan just doesn't produce players skilled enough to win consistently and then you have inzi and Sarfraz making dumb selections. Mickey seemed to lose confidence after that Asia cup thrashing though which allowed the likes of hafeez back.
    Mickey, Sarfaraz and Inzi werent using the available resources at optimal level.

To my ordinary human eye Babar and Shaheen look pretty skillful along with some other upcoming names. While I agree Pak hasn’t produced a lot of world class players in the last decade due to some unfortunate fixing sagas and temperament issues of some players who could have been a lot better. Australia looked pretty ordinary without Smith and Warner for a year, imagine taking 3 best players out of any team permanently it was surely gonna take time to develop young players when players who would have been at their peak now were taken away from the game 9 years ago and one came back but with 5 years of bowling muscle deterioration.

However, there is pretty decent number of upcoming skillful guys bow and some of them were in the team as well however no matter how much skillful players you give to a coach who isnt a best tactician and an uninspiring captain along with a chief selector who so takes poor calls, you cant expect extraordinary results.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got us a trophy and changed the fitness mindset.
    Not a bad job.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He did what was expected from him an has set up a new standards in limited overs cricket,How ever are test team has regressed during his tenure and his coaching has caused us to loose easy tests in uae due to tactics blunders of not picking proper spinners but overall he has done a good job in limited over cricket and has installed a modern mind set in the limited overs team.The new head coach MUST MAINTAIN this modern standard set up by mickey in limited orders cricket and most importantly build a solid test team,which I feel will be the toughest job for the new head coach.I wish best of luck for Mickey as he has done huge favours for Pakistani cricket and Pakistan cricket will surely miss him...

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Mickey did the best he could working with our pathetic domestic system.
    The biggest criticism he received is the regression of Pakistan in the most important format,that is test cricket.We lost to minnows sri lanka and newzealand in our UAE fortress.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His tenure would have been amazing, if we had a good Captain, who can lead by examples and is a good batsmen. Babar Azam came but he is still to young atm.

Mickey is my preference should have been kept as a Coach for another 2 yrs and Someone like Shadab and Babar could have been developed under him.

Well all good or bad things come to an end. Good Luck to Mickey i think he was just started clicking with the Team.

New Coach should be Someone who understands modern day cricket. I think wasim akram would be an amazing choice. Along with saqlain and mohammed asif as a bowling coach.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by szundercover View Post
    The biggest criticism he received is the regression of Pakistan in the most important format,that is test cricket.We lost to minnows sri lanka and newzealand in our UAE fortress.
    We wouldn't have lost those series if Captain Fantastic showed some responsibility for once with the bat in those two close Abu Dhabi runchases.

It's disgraceful that Mickey and Inzamam have been sacked but Sarfraz hasn't been held accountable.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We wouldn't have lost those series if Captain Fantastic showed some responsibility for once with the bat in those two close Abu Dhabi runchases.

It's disgraceful that Mickey and Inzamam have been sacked but Sarfraz hasn't been held accountable.
    Don稚 understand why you stating that Inzi and Mickey are sacked. They were not sacked, their contract was finished and PCB gave them the time till their Contracts expires. They have been let go with Respect and Dignity, PCB was v professional in the last 3 yrs. had it been ijaz butt or Nasim ashraf it would have been worse.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lahoriyah1234 View Post
    Don’t understand why you stating that Inzi and Mickey are sacked. They were not sacked, their contract was finished and PCB gave them the time till their Contracts expires. They have been let go with Respect and Dignity, PCB was v professional in the last 3 yrs. had it been ijaz butt or Nasim ashraf it would have been worse.
    Sacked, not renewing the contract, either way the main culprit hasn't been taken to task yet and that is disgraceful.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Whatever else he says the simple truth is that the statement in thread title is not true as he had divided focus with his two jobs

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sacked, not renewing the contract, either way the main culprit hasn't been taken to task yet and that is disgraceful.
    Sarfraz is about to lose ODI Captaincy and Test. He will remain T20 captain which is a right decision as no one cares about T20 cricket i dont.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chill..I'm 100 percent sure sarfraz will be sacked in the next few days

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe Gary Kirsten or Trevor Baylis

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The motive for the way you're portraying Mickey is because he was able to clean the ODI mess he inherited from your beloved Misbah, who was subsequently exposed for his incompetence.

But carry on making a fool out of yourself as per your track record on here with your threads

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Mickey as usual playing to the galleries. Glad the PCB saw right through him

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Mickey as usual playing to the galleries. Glad the PCB saw right through him
    We're a proud team and we hate losing.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1546 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Who is to blame, then? The same team was unbeatable under Misbah, with the same batters Shafiq, Azhar etc.

It's about strategy, and the playing XI, which was always a losing strategy under Mickey.
    Unbeatable under Misbah thanks to Misbah himself as a batsman, Younis Khan, and even Sarfaraz who saved Pakistan from what should have been a series defeat to SL. For years, we also had the advantage of a chucking Ajmal. Misbah was a good Test captain, at least in UAE.

Too many factors in play here to put all the blame on Arthur, but understandably I feel he has probably been sacked because of his Test failures. The administration is putting a lot of important into Test cricket now with the Test Championship coming up.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Pakistan became more professional after Mickey came in. Results were up and down but there is a sense of professionalism now that was missing before.

Mickey was a good coach in my opinion.

BANGLADESH FAN
    RAPTORS FAN
    LIVERPOOL FAN

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Milwaukee
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the coach is getting too much hate from a team that is simply mediocre

I haven't been following cricket for several years but when my dad told me sarfraz was captain for the World Cup I suspected what unholy chain of events could have lead to that outcome?! when we don't have a better choice as captain than sarfraz o_O

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always had a soft spot for Mickey. He has brought upon a change to this team that no one has brought before. Personally, this was a decision not deserved and was probably based on his vision to get rid of the seniors and put the youngsters in high positions (Shadab Khan captaincy). Very few coaches have had such motivation to work for a team like Pakistan. All the best to Mickey in his future endeavours!

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Desi View Post
    I think the coach is getting too much hate from a team that is simply mediocre

I haven't been following cricket for several years but when my dad told me sarfraz was captain for the World Cup I suspected what unholy chain of events could have lead to that outcome?! when we don't have a better choice as captain than sarfraz o_O
    The amount of talent we've had coming in the last few years has been massive compared to last decade or so. I don't think people realise this. Babar, Hasan, Shadab, Fakhar, Imam, Shaheen, Abbas, Haris (back from injury), Sharjeel (before ban), Amir (after ban). Even Imad maybe, never had someone perform so well at 7 with the bat before. I've never seen such an influx of talent for Pakistan in such a short space of time. Back a few ago all we had was Umar Akmal, Amir and maybe Jamshed.

We should be doing better. We're just used to being mediocre, there's no excuse. That is why Pakistan did so well in CT, and even impressed latter half of World cup. The quality is there, especially when compared to the current state of many teams. I remember when we used to hype guys who struggled to average 30 like Butt, and now we bash guys who average 50, so much have our standards changed.

Our issue has been that we have not selected the best teams. Why was Shaheen not playing early on? Why did Haris come in midway? Even in CT we started with Shehzad and kept Fakhar on the bench. Why did we not start with Imad again who was performing, for Malik who had done nothing for 2 years? Arguably if we had not made bad selections like that, maybe we would have qualified for the world cup knockouts anyway.

The issue is a lot of our talents start bright and show their initial talent and then fade. Fakhar, Shadab, Hasan, Amir all have gone that way to name a few. Coaches should be able to prevent that, fix and work on their weaknesses to stop the slide. Look at Amir in the world cup, he actually bowled better and admitted he learnt more being away in domestic than he did in the international squad. There's something wrong there if that's the case.

The coach has made so many basic blunders from investing in the wrong players, wrong team selection. Just really basic stuff.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol, Mickey Arthur has obviously learnt a lot as Pakistan's coach for the last 3 years. He knows emotions sell.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That trophy was a fluke.

The trophy was not a fluke. Pakistan won that trophy fair and square. Winning a ICC event does not guarantee you are the best team. What determines that is the ranking as they are calculated over a period of series.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey did well as coach, especially considering where he picked up our limited-overs team in 2016. Deserves credit along with Inzamam for atleast recognizing a crop of players (Fakhar, Imam, Babar, Shadab, Shaheen) and going with them.

Series losses to Sri Lanka and New Zealand are two major blots on his tenure as coach, as is the Asia Cup to a certain extent but there were many high-points aswell that deserve to be remembered. The World Cup performance was not that bad. Or atleast not bad enough to not get an extension.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazzam View Post
    The trophy was not a fluke. Pakistan won that trophy fair and square. Winning a ICC event does not guarantee you are the best team. What determines that is the ranking as they are calculated over a period of series.
    I respect your opinion.

Regardless, one trophy and being minnows for all the other years doesn't mean anything.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Unbeatable under Misbah thanks to Misbah himself as a batsman, Younis Khan, and even Sarfaraz who saved Pakistan from what should have been a series defeat to SL. For years, we also had the advantage of a chucking Ajmal. Misbah was a good Test captain, at least in UAE.

Too many factors in play here to put all the blame on Arthur, but understandably I feel he has probably been sacked because of his Test failures. The administration is putting a lot of important into Test cricket now with the Test Championship coming up.
    His insistence on not picking proper spinners was the biggest blunder.

He didn't know how to win Test matches, strangle the opposition and take the game deep.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So did Waqar but it does not change the fact that he was a poor coach.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I respect your opinion.

Regardless, one trophy and being minnows for all the other years doesn't mean anything.
    I agree.

While winning one trophy is a remarkable achievement. The success of that should not overlook the terrible performances we gave in those two years. Its one thing to win a trophy another to consistently perform in higher standards. I feel we missed the consistency. Why we missed it? Is the fault of the Coach and captain.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KimiRaikonnen View Post
    Did Misbah win a series in Australia or South Africa ?
    Even Imran Khan didnt win a series there

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Arthur trying the emotional card because he knows it sells. He didn't do jack, players were unfit and carrying paunches in the WC. He didn't even groom proper spinners for the WC. Kept persisting with his usual favourites and the selectors had to whip him in line by including Wahab in the team which turned out to be a good decision in the end.

Arthur had nothing more to add to Pakistan Cricket and the PCB rightfully sent him packing

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Can Mickey Arthur technically reapply for the Pakistani job again?

I don't think there is anything to prevent him for applying to the PCB coaching job advertisment and going through the process again.

If the PCB finds that he is still the best applicant in comparison to the others, could they rehire him again?

Or he feels tremendously humiliated and therefore refuses to work under the PCB again?

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sure, do apply, with the resume saying the team could never win a single Test series under him, despite being unbeatable for years right before he took over.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How the hell was he humiliated?

His contract ended, thats it.

He can reapply if he wants to as a batting coach, or if the other coaches have too many demands

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure, do apply, with the resume saying the team could never win a single Test series under him, despite being unbeatable for years right before he took over.
    We beat Australia 1-0 in 2018

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also beat WI home and away in 2016 and 2017 - the latter being the first time we had accomplished such a feat...

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That's like if I get fired from a job for lack of performance and my employer advertises the position to find a replacement and I go ahead and apply for it LOL

Mein inko rolaonga

NaMo se Namonay tak ka safar..... chaiwala

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    That's like if I get fired from a job for lack of performance and my employer advertises the position to find a replacement and I go ahead and apply for it LOL
    LOLL exactly

If PCB wanted to keep him on they would have given him his extension. The guy gave a presentation of all things and PCB was not sold

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    It's a shame Mickey wasn't retained in some other capacity. I'd have loved to see him working to develop young talents.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    It's a shame Mickey wasn't retained in some other capacity. I'd have loved to see him working to develop young talents.
    In one of his interviews with us, he had mentioned a legacy he wanted to leave but guess not happening

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He can technically reapply for the position again with the PCB

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Former Pakistan head coach Mickey Arthur was assured by an influential group of cricketers that he would be retained for another two years after the ICC World Cup but Prime Minister Imran Khan rejected giving extensions to the coaching staff.

According to a highly reliable source, an influential member of the Pakistan Cricket Board’s Cricket Committee and some other officials in the board had assured Arthur he would be getting an extension as head coach despite Pakistan’s failure to reach the knockout stage of the World Cup.

“Arthur was very confident after these assurances that is why he came down to Lahore and spent quite a few days in anticipation of an extension but he was also disappointed and shocked when the PCB announced they were not retaining him or the support staff,” the source said.

According to the source, PCB chairman Ehsan Mani had spoken to Imran Khan who is patron-in-chief of the PCB on the matter and the former skipper made it clear that a new team management set-up must be brought in after the World Cup.

Arthur also got a shock when the local media started reporting that when he appeared before the cricket committee he had suggested appointing Shadab Khan and Babar Azam as captains for white and red-ball cricket.

Arthur has now apparently conveyed to skipper Sarfaraz Ahmed that he never said anything against him nor did he give any suggestions to the committee on appointing new captains for all formats.

“Arthur has communicated to Sarfaraz that media reports about him talking about changing the captain were not correct,” the source said.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...sources-878607

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So according to this update PCBs paid decision makers werent able to take even this decision properly and Patron in Chief had to make the call (And right call in my opinion).

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His biggest failure was probably understanding the conditions of UAE and how often he failed to deploy proper spinners, particuarly in Tests and too often trying to use allrounders such as Nawaz, Bilal who aren't any good.

And somehow. despite the top 3 settled for a while, they shouldn't find the right combination in the middle order even though they had Haris, dominating and healthy and an obvious choice for #4. Too often, Hafeez and Malik were persisted with instead of being discarded.

Just an overall lack of ability to judge talent, to be honest. Playing Yasir in ODI's? Why? Discarding Usman Khan, despite being the only bowler who had been bowling well for Hasnain, who didn't even play a single game. Asif Ali? Can't even put up runs in List A but sure, keep persisting with him in ODI's. Faheem Ashraf etc...

A lot of this could have been resolved and they could have given youngsters more of a chance to see what they have so they're not stuck with options with Yasir/Faheem/Asif/Malik etc... and yet they pulled weird moves like selecting your A team for a Zimbabwe tour. Zero reason not to select youngsters who haven't had a legitemate chance yet like Shakeel/Saad/Talat etc. It gives you a good idea what you have and more than likely, you would find better options elsewhere.

Mickey definitely tried his best but in my opinion, he wasn't that great at evaluating and judging talent.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Beat windies and Australia in UAE.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    If made coach, I will also give my wholehearted effort. No question. Even twice that of Mickey's.

Does not mean I will deliver good results, but will give my wholehearted effort while taking the team down to no 6 and 7.
    That is unfair on Mickey, who was part of a coaching team that made Pakistan one of the fittest sides on the planet according to yo-yo test results, helped improve their fielding (which dipped in recent times) and made them challengers in a world cup again. They also drew two test series in England, won a major trophy and had some good results elsewhere.

At the very beginning I felt he would be problematic and was not a fan...in all honesty, I am not a fan now either but he has helped bleed some new guys into the team, has helped groom a string of young quicks and woul have been good to carry on for another year with a new captain as deputy. It is sad that he has been discarded in this way.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post
    That is unfair on Mickey, who was part of a coaching team that made Pakistan one of the fittest sides on the planet according to yo-yo test results, helped improve their fielding (which dipped in recent times) and made them challengers in a world cup again. They also drew two test series in England, won a major trophy and had some good results elsewhere.

At the very beginning I felt he would be problematic and was not a fan...in all honesty, I am not a fan now either but he has helped bleed some new guys into the team, has helped groom a string of young quicks and woul have been good to carry on for another year with a new captain as deputy. It is sad that he has been discarded in this way.
    I have an entirely different take on this. He did what his predecessors do - delivered mediocre results with an admittedly average team. They punched below their weight everywhere, except for England.

Fitness is of no use if selections are wrong. Young players are of no use if mindset is defeatist. Pakistan lost more matches from winning positions in his tenure than in any other coach's that I can remember. Lost all the big moments.

What will he do in one more year that he could not do in his previous tenure - with 2 different administrations?

It is a results business and Mickey has failed. Thank him for his time. He worked with integrity. Time to go.

By the way, I am not into this 'wholehearted' nonsense. He didn't engage with domestic cricket at all, which is the real test of dedication. Making squad decisions based on PSL, together with Sarfaraz and Inzamam, is as fatal as it got for our cricket. That for me is inexcusable.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Not the first Pakistani coach to be sacked after a World Cup and won稚 be the last
    He had his favourites and overplayed fitness issues
    Hopefully his successor will play talent based on merits and not because they are potential future captaincy candidates or great looking technique such as Shan masood

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    You cannot doubt the sincerity of Mickey Arthur in what he was trying to do. Did he misread the Pakistan players' capabilities? Did he use wrong tactics etc are the real question

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mickey Arthur was let down by Inzamam the selections of Shoaib Malik and Hafeez was like taking a step back in time. Amir, Wahab were good selections but overall there were not many big hitters in the team.

I liked Arthur he improved the fitness of the team and they didn't do that badly.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We thank you for your services Mickey!

In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Whatever else he says the simple truth is that the statement in thread title is not true as he had divided focus with his two jobs
    Would repeat this. The money grabbing greedy coach was only interested in increasing his bank balance. If he was even somewhat sincere with the job the least he could do was to give his full undivided attention to the gig. But no he would accept any money spinning gig that would come his way.

Where else has this ever happened that the head coach of a major international cricket team is doing side gigs in T20 tournaments

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5997 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Would repeat this. The money grabbing greedy coach was only interested in increasing his bank balance. If he was even somewhat sincere with the job the least he could do was to give his full undivided attention to the gig. But no he would accept any money spinning gig that would come his way.

Where else has this ever happened that the head coach of a major international cricket team is doing side gigs in T20 tournaments
    PSL is a two month affair and happens once per year. Also, the national team obviously doesn稚 play cricket during that period. What would you have preferred Mickey to do during that period?

PSL is the only cricket going on for Pakistan at that point and he is involved in it. How is this dividing attention?

Divided attention would be having another job while coaching Pakistan at the same time, but he was coaching a Pakistani franchise with majority of Pakistani players when Pakistan was not playing.

I understand that he largely flopped in his stint, but this narrative that he wasn稚 fully committed to the Pakistan job because of PSL doesn稚 have any legs.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    PSL is a two month affair and happens once per year. Also, the national team obviously doesn稚 play cricket during that period. What would you have preferred Mickey to do during that period?

PSL is the only cricket going on for Pakistan at that point and he is involved in it. How is this dividing attention?

Divided attention would be having another job while coaching Pakistan at the same time, but he was coaching a Pakistani franchise with majority of Pakistani players when Pakistan was not playing.

I understand that he largely flopped in his stint, but this narrative that he wasn稚 fully committed to the Pakistan job because of PSL doesn稚 have any legs.
    Pak declined significantly in Tests under Mickey and in the end what do they really have to show besides a fluke CT 17 win ? Moreover, while the team began to bat a bit more in line with modern cricket there was zero consistency. Tactically Mickey exposed himself so many times. Am glad he got the sack tbh

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Pak declined significantly in Tests under Mickey and in the end what do they really have to show besides a fluke CT 17 win ? Moreover, while the team began to bat a bit more in line with modern cricket there was zero consistency. Tactically Mickey exposed himself so many times. Am glad he got the sack tbh
    Brother @Markhor will disagree.

I'm so glad we got rid of the guy, we're humiliated everywhere. Longest losing streak under him as well. Of course Sarfraz also contributed.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    You say the last Asia Cup was a 'thrashing', then you would no doubt agree the CT final 2017 was a Massacre?
    This High point of Mickey’s tenure will be etched in History.

Pakistan Cricket: Exciting, Entertaining, Unpredictable, Dangerous and Unique.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Brother @Markhor will disagree.

I'm so glad we got rid of the guy, we're humiliated everywhere. Longest losing streak under him as well. Of course Sarfraz also contributed.
    We need Sarfraz to go as well, it's not charity week

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    I would imagine he has a lot to say about his stint with Pakistan!

Debut
    May 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible for him to reapply? If he does PCB will consider him for head coach or his days are over since contract was not renew?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricf@n View Post
    Is it possible for him to reapply? If he does PCB will consider him for head coach or his days are over since contract was not renew?
    He can still reapply. On merit if his application is stronger than the others who apply, he can complain about being victimized by the PCB coaching selection committee unless the PCB made it clear in the job advertisement that the previous team management were inelligible to apply

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricf@n View Post
    That would be unprecedented if he applied again lol

Ah, so this is what it feels like