Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Should Test matches' length be reduced to four days for more interest?

I am sure we are all overjoyed with today's result but all in all, lot of people lose interest in such games due to the duration - but should Tests be reduced to 4 days to create more excitement?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Then how will we get tests like this?

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely not. Dont understand where this even came from considering all 5 days had a brilliant crowd? 4 day Tests would be a shame and a dent to the great game of Test match cricket. Records are being broken in India, England and Australia for Test match audiences and we have people suggesting such pathetic ideas..

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    Absolutely not. Dont understand where this even came from considering all 5 days had a brilliant crowd? 4 day Tests would be a shame and a dent to the great game of Test match cricket. Records are being broken in India, England and Australia for Test match audiences and we have people suggesting such pathetic ideas..
    This is not how all Tests end. Great advertisement but not the norm

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 day tests would still have a final day dude
    Last edited by majiz; 29th August 2017 at 23:38.

How odd I can have all this inside me and to you it's just words.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Of course. The thing is, I would agree that you have a point but the reason behind 4 day tests being an ill-thought idea is that 4 days is still a lot of Test cricket. You know, when you're driving and speeding and no matter how faster you go than 200 miles, it still feels the same.

People who can't sit and watch 5 days of Test cricket certainly can't watch 4 days of it either. It's either all or nothing. 1 Day OR 5 days. Anything in between would actually lead to a loss of some fans (like myself) who wouldn't be interested in watching anything that the authorities have ruined and tampered with.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant crowd? Nobody gives a rats *** about test cricket outside England and Aus

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Most football matches are boring.

Let's reduce them to 60 minutes.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Rubbish idea. There should be more day night tests to bring in crowds.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    Brilliant crowd? Nobody gives a rats *** about test cricket outside England and Aus
    I can guarantee you that a Test match between Pakistan and ZIMBABWE - of all teams - would be jam-packed for the next 5 years even if every match was played at Lahore.

And no, you're wrong about the rest too. People care about Test matches being played in India, South Africa and New Zealand. It's just not as evident in New Zealand because they have parks and not stadiums.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    Most football matches are boring.

Let's reduce them to 60 minutes.
    congratulations on not understanding the difference between 90 mins and 5 days

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    Boring is boring. We live in the twitter age now.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boring is boring. We live in the twitter age now.
    there is a difference getting bored for 90 mins and getting bored for 5 days

test cricket is clearly far too long for people to maintain their interest and that is why test cricket viewership is dying unlike football

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but 3-4 hour t20 is not enough for fan like me, you end up waiting whole day for the match and then there is loadshedding and work etc during those hours.
    I want to see my team play everyday and test cricket serve that purpose.And test cricket can get interesting anytime during the match.
    even in ODIs there is a gap ko 2-3 days which makes it boring during off days.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ammar_merry View Post
    but 3-4 hour t20 is not enough for fan like me, you end up waiting whole day for the match and then there is loadshedding and work etc during those hours.
    I want to see my team play everyday and test cricket serve that purpose.And test cricket can get interesting anytime during the match.
    even in ODIs there is a gap ko 2-3 days which makes it boring during off days.
    yes but there are few people like you

the majority don't watch test matches and only follow the scores

if these people can be attracted to test cricket by reducing the number of days then it's not a bad idea at all

ultimately test viewership is dying and it is a serious problem

the rigidity of purists do not change test cricket will ultimately lead to its death

test cricket in its present form cannot survive for the next 50 yrs

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1811 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

test cricket is clearly far too long for people to maintain their interest and that is why test cricket viewership is dying unlike football
    If someone won't be interested in watching a five-day match, I doubt that shortening it to a four-day game would really make a huge difference.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if these people can be attracted to test cricket by reducing the number of days then it's not a bad idea at all

the rigidity of purists do not change test cricket will ultimately lead to its death

cricket is a unique sport thats why people watch it for long hours...
    Even following scores(commentary) gives you pure joy.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ammar_merry View Post
    cricket is a unique sport thats why people watch it for long hours...
    Even following scores(commentary) gives you pure joy.
    it does but it doesn't bring you money

the icc is struggling because of the lack of interest in test cricket

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    If someone won't be interested in watching a five-day match, I doubt that shortening it to a four-day game would really make a huge difference.
    true but i think it can make a marginal difference

anything is welcome at this point

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the icc is struggling because of the lack of interest in test cricket
    its like some poeple like to read the book and other like to watch 3hr movie based on the same book.
    book provides more indepth analysis, so does test cricket.
    If ICC is so worried about revenues then pitches should be made better.Duke balls can be used.
    icc has done everything with ODI cricket including super Sub and changing powerplay overs, fielders outside circle, two new balls etc but quality only got better when conditions were supporting both bat and ball.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There is not much difference between 4 and 5 days.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stick with 5.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    MCG - Mera Chota Ghar, SE England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Big Mac Your gif nailed it for me. On many levels...

If 5 days is too much for some one to follow a test match, 4 days ain't going to provide the panacea.

Frank Skinner: Pakistan looked better than this when they were trying to lose.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test Cricket is breaking records in India ?

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    All this talk about shortening it to 4 days would produce more results. Actually, it'll be the other way around. It will become far easier to draw games. Test teams are not FC teams, they are the cream of the crop from FC cricket therefore one cannot assume that FC results would simply replicate at test level. In fact, I can confidently say they will not be.
    Last edited by Chief Destroyer; 30th August 2017 at 07:21.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Then what we clearly have is not a test cricket problem, but a capitalism problem.

Test cricket has no innate obligation to amuse, make money or stimulate desensitized neurons. It was conceived as a long, draining, physically and psychologically demanding (and also relaxing), ordeal.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It should ideally be 3 so it can be played around the weekend, maximising viewership. Needs to go back to the old times where tests lasted 3 days usually, and day 4 and 5 being more reserve days. 3 days is optimal really, could be held fri, sat, sunday, ensuring people will at least be able to catch the conclusion at the weekend/watch the majority of the game on the weekend.

Pitches would have to become tougher, and perhaps day/night tests could be abused to add in more hours. Or which is probably the only way to make it 3 days as I doubt they'll be happy to introduce the harder batting conditions to make it 3 days, to get rid of the second innings altogether. Usually a test is decided by the first innings in the vast majority of cases, and with the world becoming more result orientated, people want to see a winner, they want to watch periods where are critical to wins rather than just enjoy watching the game.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    4 days won't make a difference.

It has to be 3 or less.

Otherwise, if someone will watch 4 days, they'll watch 5 days too.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) today announced the itinerary for India’s tour of South Africa. It will consist of three Sunfoil Test matches, six Momentum One-Day Internationals and three KFC T20 International matches.

India arrives in South Africa on 28 December and their tour will start with a two-day practice match at Boland Park on December 30 and 31. The first Test match is at PPC Newlands starting on January 5.

The specific dates and venues for all the remaining fixtures will be confirmed shortly.

CSA also announced plans to host the first ever 4-day Day/Night Test match to be played at St. George’s Park against Zimbabwe starting on Boxing Day.

“We have now finalised the fixtures for a very busy home summer of international cricket,” commented CSA Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat. “The Mahatma Gandhi-Nelson Mandela Test series starts at Newlands on Friday, January 5 and will be a series to be watched as the number 1 and 2 best ranked teams in the world challenge for the Freedom Trophy.

“The time constraints faced by India have forced us to reduce the Test matches to three while increasing white ball cricket to six ODIs and three T20I matches.

“To ensure we do not disappoint our loyal fans over the traditional Boxing Day period and to take advantage of our brand-new lights at St George’s Park, we will host Zimbabwe in the first ever 4-day D/N Test match to be played. The Test status of the match is subject to ICC approval.

"This will give us a total of 10 home Test matches this summer against Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, India and Australia, making this our busiest home Test season ever.

“The extensive revamping of our international grounds are on schedule and the D/N Test match promises to be a world-class experience for the players and fans.

“The Proteas are currently ranked No. 1 and India No. 3 in ODI cricket, so fans will have the chance to see great cricket in the limited overs format too,” concluded Mr. Lorgat.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If someone isn't bothered to watch 5 days, I doubt they'll care enough to watch 4.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 days. Why change the premium product?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bujhee kom View Post
    5 days. Why change the premium product?
    If product is premium then there wouldn't be so much fuss about reviving in many countries. Last i checked, more than half the countries makes loss in scheduling test matches. Even Chairman of Star Sports India explained in an interview why he thinks Test championship is recipe for disaster and they wouldnt be interested in covering it.

So, why is so called "PREMIUM PRODUCT" being rejected by masses?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    If product is premium then there wouldn't be so much fuss about reviving in many countries. Last i checked, more than half the countries makes loss in scheduling test matches. Even Chairman of Star Sports India explained in an interview why he thinks Test championship is recipe for disaster and they wouldnt be interested in covering it.

So, why is so called "PREMIUM PRODUCT" being rejected by masses?
    I am not a big fan of Tests myself - very few Bengalis are. However the cricket fraternity regards them as the #1 format and thus they are deemed the premium product in the 'sellers' item range. They are an acquired taste I guess. Our people (Asians) definitely do not have the culture for them - not on the average.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a big fan of Tests myself - very few Bengalis are. However the cricket fraternity regards them as the #1 format and thus they are deemed the premium product in the 'sellers' item range. They are an acquired taste I guess. Our people (Asians) definitely do not have the culture for them - not on the average.
    Cricketers now a days are taking time off from test cricket, so they can prolong their career. Test cricket is like a meal that requires 5-6 hours of slow cooking. Everybody wants that juicy Lamb shank cooked low and slow but noone want to be patient for 5-6 hours. Its same in cricket, Test cricket builds up slowly for grand finale, sadly by the time they reach climax fans have alreay lost interest.

Cutting down test cricket by a day willl make no difference in today's fast pace life. Im die hard Baseball fan, and i cant sit in stadium if game goes into Overtime( if its tie). We want short and exciting game.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is just having one less day going to make a difference? It will just create more draws in Test matches and I can't fathom myself watching Test matches for 3-4 days to see it end without a result.

Casual people don't watch Test matches because its like 8 hours ago everyday, its during the day when people are working and pace is overall, slow. One less day won't change that.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing is, cricket has shifted from Eurocentric nations to South Asia, where LOI is more popular and appreciated. IPL is now the biggest cricketing tournament in the world by some distance. Test cricket has to catch up to survive in modern world. Forget tests, I have seen many Americans complain that even ODIs are too long. I might have argued against that 10 years ago but I can now see the point.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Four days is fine. Sheffield Shield games work great. Main thing is to get a pro/rel league system going (while preserving big series - I've made a proposal for such a system here in the past).

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Four days is fine. Sheffield Shield games work great. Main thing is to get a pro/rel league system going (while preserving big series - I've made a proposal for such a system here in the past).
    Shield players aren't international players. Draws will become far too common.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too mention the pattas that have been served by Australia will kill any chances of result.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    Not too mention the pattas that have been served by Australia will kill any chances of result.
    Should have mentioned that serving up a good competive wicket is a requirement for the change. If there is no 5th day there is no need to prepare a wicket to ensure tv revenue on day five.

And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Should have mentioned that serving up a good competive wicket is a requirement for the change. If there is no 5th day there is no need to prepare a wicket to ensure tv revenue on day five.
    What's a good wicket? Plenty of matches on "good" pitches last 5 days. If you force the issue then it will become too bowler friendly and the game will lose its balance.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    What's a good wicket? Plenty of matches on "good" pitches last 5 days. If you force the issue then it will become too bowler friendly and the game will lose its balance.
    Good wicket is a balanced one. If it lasts 5 days it last 5 days so be it. But the shield wickets are much better than test wickets in Aus.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why not? 6 day matches got reduced to 5 days sometime in the 80s I think. So why not 5 to 4? It wont make much difference to me anyway as I typically watch only 25% of test matches i follow. Only follow scores 75% of the time. Play 100 overs a day, four days. Not much cricket lost, reduced number of days might help revival.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good wicket is a balanced one. If it lasts 5 days it last 5 days so be it. But the shield wickets are much better than test wickets in Aus.
    We're talking 4 days now, not 5.

My point is that even with good wickets, draws will be commonplace because tests aren't played by shield cricketers. They are played by the best the world has to offer. Consider this scenario, a team dominates first 3 days of cricket and sets a target, all the final team has to do is bat 90-100 overs to secure a draw. That's if the team can even set a competitive target in such a small period.
    Last edited by Chief Destroyer; 21st September 2017 at 10:19.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianWillow View Post
    Why not? 6 day matches got reduced to 5 days sometime in the 80s I think. So why not 5 to 4? It wont make much difference to me anyway as I typically watch only 25% of test matches i follow. Only follow scores 75% of the time. Play 100 overs a day, four days. Not much cricket lost, reduced number of days might help revival.
    very good point

only fighters rise up from the dust..

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    We're talking 4 days now, not 5.

My point is that even with good wickets, draws will be commonplace because tests aren't played by shield cricketers. They are played by the best the world has to offer. Consider this scenario, a team dominates first 3 days of cricket and sets a target, all the final team has to do is bat 90-100 overs to secure a draw. That's if the team can even set a competitive target in such a small period.
    Based on watching current test cricketers on non flat wickets I have my doubts.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    "Six" day Tests were five days: they started on Thursday and Sunday was a rest day. That's why fast bowlers were so much quicker in those days - they got a decent break between innings.

Five day Tests are relatively new anyway: 100 years ago most Tests were three or four days.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah! You are right. Thanks for the reminder Junaid!

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    704 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Test match only gets interesting after day 4 and day 5

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For 4 day match it gets interesting on day 4.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    For 4 day match it gets interesting on day 4.
    I think it's the future - but it requires either a greentop or a square Turner.

The two Adelaide Day/Night Tests were excellent because they were quite low scoring. There was no need for a fifth day.

I would like to see full tours take place over an economical five weeks, as follows:

Five x 3 Day/Night Tests, each played on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. On pitches designed to restrict innings totals to no more than 250.

An ODI or T20i to be played on the Tuesday of each of those weeks.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cape Town – The International Cricket Council are keeping relatively mum over the intention of Cricket South Africa to host the first modern-era four-day Test under floodlights in Port Elizabeth from Boxing Day.

But it may also get an official nod next month.

CSA chief executive Haroon Lorgat revealed on Wednesday their plan to fill the post-Christmas gap – caused by India’s later arrival for their headline multi-format series, now cut from four Tests to three – with a once-off Test against neighbours Zimbabwe at St George’s Park with its new, much-improved lights.

The move will probably have surprised many traditionalists, appearing almost arbitrary and unilateral as there is no official global green light yet for any tampering with the current, decades-long principle of Tests being contested over five days.

But the culling of a day’s play and increasing – at least to an extent - the overs on the other four instead has been a topic of discussion among administrators, pundits and past players for several years, as one method of safeguarding Tests against the increasingly intrusive threat of white-ball cricket.

Signs do seem to point to SA and Zimbabwe earning the go-ahead to be used as “guinea pigs” in the Friendly City from Boxing Day, even as questions will inevitably arise over the minnows’ likelihood of stretching a Test against the No 2-ranked Proteas to - or beyond - four days anyway.

Asked for a reaction to Lorgat’s plans on Thursday, the ICC’s general manager (strategic communications) Claire Furlong said: “As you know this has been an ongoing conversation and as background for you there is growing support for four-day Tests to be trialled, as opposed to unilateral introduction.

“This is on the agenda to be discussed at the ICC Board (meeting) next month.

“So nothing (at this point) in terms of comment from us but this has all been part of ongoing conversations.”

http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Pro...-test-20170921

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The logic in this is flawed.

People who only enjoy t20 cricket or 1 day cricket at a maximum will not suddenly become fans of test cricket because it goes for 4 days instead of 5. It's no real difference to them. They will just want it reduced to 3.

The point of a test match result and why it sticks in your memory (in countries that have established a test watching culture) is that it IS THE VERY DURATION of the match that makes it special. Most Test fans do not watch all 450 overs. But they watch the first session or two. An afternoon there. They check the score at work and duck out to watch a magical spell for an hour if a hero is on song. They stay up til 3 in the morning, but only on day 3 when the fightback is in full swing. They sit down for 2 sessions straight on the weekend to watch the spinner duel with the master batsman on day 4.

The point is that the Test fans attention is not on the game for 90 overs straight in the modern age but by constantly checking the score, having time do discuss, dissect, argue & predict the days play over a few days with your friends or colleagues and then those moments when you are glued to the screen... All this sees a Test match weave itself thread by thread into the very fabric of your life. The Test becomes part of your life because it is there for so long. The time it takes to unfold is not a negative- it is the key to enjoyment.

A great Test can take several different swings over the days. Each one with its own personal stories, duels & triumphs. Within each game is the mini-game of batsman vs bowler match ups, careers on the line, legends being made.

Why reduce this glory to suit those who do not appreciate it? What fan who does not love the special pressure of the 5th day chase will suddenly go wild because it is now on the 4th day? And yet those who love Tests would see the reduction, devalue and knee-jerk empty populism chasing of the move. You weaken the games greatest strength- that 5 days allow a match to truly evolve, battles to be won, lost & won again before the war is over. They give time for the big match ups to play themselves out- you can't just hide or put up shutters for a few overs until the tiger is bowled out of overs. Atherton's heroic rearguards, Warner on day 5, Yasir Shah day 5 vs WI? And you gain nothing.

Over a summer. As these matches work their way into the culture of a country & the psyche of the fans they become a talking point. Yes, some are dull- but so many ODI & T20 are boring & one sided too. But there is nothing like the magic of a 5th day miracle. The match has time to become legendary. The series forms the backdrop to a summer of your life and some are unforgettable. '05 Ashes at 4 days only? You kidding? Mitchell Johnson's summer at 4 days only? You kidding?

Don't water down test cricket to make a half baked appeal to fans who don't get it. 4 days is still an eternity to them. Let them see Test cricket at its full best and come to enjoy it for what it is. Or to stick with the cricket they enjoy- that's fine. But I don't ask t20 to go to 25 because I like longer formats. Please don't think some nonsense plan to 4 days will improve Tests in any way.

5 days. 4 results. 2 innings. No restrictions.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There shouldnt be a duration. Just play on and on untill there is a result

Love for all hatred for none.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No thanks! with the poor over-rates we usually get in test these days reducing a game to 4 days will mean even less cricket been seen and played and probably more drawn tests or more games where teams are having to manufacture results like in county cricket. Sorry but leave test cricket as it is.
    Last edited by hadi123; 21st September 2017 at 19:14.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post

People who only enjoy t20 cricket or 1 day cricket at a maximum will not suddenly become fans of test cricket because it goes for 4 days instead of 5. It's no real difference to them. They will just want it reduced to 3.

The point of a test match result and why it sticks in your memory (in countries that have established a test watching culture) is that it IS THE VERY DURATION of the match that makes it special. Most Test fans do not watch all 450 overs. But they watch the first session or two. An afternoon there. They check the score at work and duck out to watch a magical spell for an hour if a hero is on song. They stay up til 3 in the morning, but only on day 3 when the fightback is in full swing. They sit down for 2 sessions straight on the weekend to watch the spinner duel with the master batsman on day 4.

The point is that the Test fans attention is not on the game for 90 overs straight in the modern age but by constantly checking the score, having time do discuss, dissect, argue & predict the days play over a few days with your friends or colleagues and then those moments when you are glued to the screen... All this sees a Test match weave itself thread by thread into the very fabric of your life. The Test becomes part of your life because it is there for so long. The time it takes to unfold is not a negative- it is the key to enjoyment.

A great Test can take several different swings over the days. Each one with its own personal stories, duels & triumphs. Within each game is the mini-game of batsman vs bowler match ups, careers on the line, legends being made.

Why reduce this glory to suit those who do not appreciate it? What fan who does not love the special pressure of the 5th day chase will suddenly go wild because it is now on the 4th day? And yet those who love Tests would see the reduction, devalue and knee-jerk empty populism chasing of the move. You weaken the games greatest strength- that 5 days allow a match to truly evolve, battles to be won, lost & won again before the war is over. They give time for the big match ups to play themselves out- you can't just hide or put up shutters for a few overs until the tiger is bowled out of overs. Atherton's heroic rearguards, Warner on day 5, Yasir Shah day 5 vs WI? And you gain nothing.

Over a summer. As these matches work their way into the culture of a country & the psyche of the fans they become a talking point. Yes, some are dull- but so many ODI & T20 are boring & one sided too. But there is nothing like the magic of a 5th day miracle. The match has time to become legendary. The series forms the backdrop to a summer of your life and some are unforgettable. '05 Ashes at 4 days only? You kidding? Mitchell Johnson's summer at 4 days only? You kidding?

Don't water down test cricket to make a half baked appeal to fans who don't get it. 4 days is still an eternity to them. Let them see Test cricket at its full best and come to enjoy it for what it is. Or to stick with the cricket they enjoy- that's fine. But I don't ask t20 to go to 25 because I like longer formats. Please don't think some nonsense plan to 4 days will improve Tests in any way.

Great post. Especially agree with the bolded line. This is a pointless idea.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be a silly move which would hurt Pakistan the most too.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I think it's the future - but it requires either a greentop or a square Turner.

The two Adelaide Day/Night Tests were excellent because they were quite low scoring. There was no need for a fifth day.

I would like to see full tours take place over an economical five weeks, as follows:

Five x 3 Day/Night Tests, each played on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. On pitches designed to restrict innings totals to no more than 250.

An ODI or T20i to be played on the Tuesday of each of those weeks.
    Fully agree. You cant play 4 day games on roads. No team should be able to get 400 runs in the first essay without exceptional batting. Then 4 day tests would work.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    no it will backfire and you see more draws

would be the worst change since going back to two new balls in odis

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What happens when it rains, say for even half a day? You can recover in a 5 day test but it becomes impossible in 4 days.

What happens if both teams manage first big innings scores? Everyone will know the match is heading towards a draw simply because there's no time.

If the issue is forced and every wicket is designed to end the match within 4 days, the game will lose its balance.
    Last edited by Chief Destroyer; 21st September 2017 at 18:17.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    Thing is, cricket has shifted from Eurocentric nations to South Asia, where LOI is more popular and appreciated. IPL is now the biggest cricketing tournament in the world by some distance. Test cricket has to catch up to survive in modern world. Forget tests, I have seen many Americans complain that even ODIs are too long. I might have argued against that 10 years ago but I can now see the point.
    Oh bhai, IPL is just a domestic cup. Any international cup means more to players not involved in the IPL or even to any foreign player in the IPL. If I say to Starc IPL win or World T20 win with Australia - no one thinks he will say IPL.

T20I is the most watchable. I dont care for leagues TBH. ODIs are a big long but watchable in patches. Tests again demand a different viewing pattern - just 30 mins - 1 hr, do something else, check the score, watch 30 mins - check the score at stumps. Only on day 5 if the match is balanced and exciting does anyone really watch the days play.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1027 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    No harm in trying out four day tests once in a while, just like D/N tests but the five day format should be kept for the blockbuster series and matches.

Funny how this guy trumpets Kohli as some awesome test batsman all over the place but finds test matches boring and probably has never watched a test match in his life.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1027 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Test match only gets interesting after day 4 and day 5
    Misbah would be ashamed that you are his fan. Most of Misbah's best innings have come in the first or second innings.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2313 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    NO..................................

If any thing, Test matches should be played for 100 overs/day, with an option of 6th day in the last Test, if the series in still open (at most one win gap).

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no way
    dont change true Gentlemen game
    if you are dereasing its days
    then each team has to play only one inning

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    No harm in trying out four day tests once in a while, just like D/N tests but the five day format should be kept for the blockbuster series and matches.

Funny how this guy trumpets Kohli as some awesome test batsman all over the place but finds test matches boring and probably has never watched a test match in his life.
    i do watch test matches but since i have a life i cannot watch all 5 days. at best i would watch a few overs in between and i do keep up with the scores regularly

there is no doubt that test cricket is boring and the MAJORITY prefer limited overs cricket. ppers like you do not understand that you guys are cricket nerds and you do not represent the majority population and they are the ones who matter not the 1% who still drool over test cricket

"To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post

Really good post. It's hard to watch every ball every day but the bit about checking the score at work is so true. I think test cricket should stick to 5 days. Reports indicate though that 4 day test matches will only happen if a MoU is agreed between the two boards; so it's only likely to happen when minnows such as Zimbabwe, Afghanistan & Ireland are playing some of the top teams and if that's the case I have no problems and I think this may make it more fair but I really hope ICC don't reduce every test match to 4 days, it will ruin it and it will seem less prestige.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought dropped in pitches were generally flat in nature. If they can create a sporting pitch for Aussie home games, then 4 day(100-110 overs a day) does seem possible solution. But for this to happen boards would have to take a short term hit on their finance for long term gain, which I seriously doubt that most boards would agree to it.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh bhai, IPL is just a domestic cup. Any international cup means more to players not involved in the IPL or even to any foreign player in the IPL. If I say to Starc IPL win or World T20 win with Australia - no one thinks he will say IPL.

T20I is the most watchable. I dont care for leagues TBH. ODIs are a big long but watchable in patches. Tests again demand a different viewing pattern - just 30 mins - 1 hr, do something else, check the score, watch 30 mins - check the score at stumps. Only on day 5 if the match is balanced and exciting does anyone really watch the days play.
    Well by IPL i mean T20 cricket, but you get my point. But yeah, test cricket will keep struggling and incur losses outside Australia and England

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    People already have trouble watching 90 overs and here people are suggesting 100+ overs in a day. Fantastic.

The duration of the test match is not the problem. It's what's happening in that time. To speed the game up, simply limit the 1st innings to 4 sessions(120-130 overs). So if teams want to score 500+, they'd have to score at 4 an over making the 1st innings a limited overs match of sort. That would make the first 3 days much more watchable.

No limitation in the 2nd innings. That's when everyone tunes in anyway.

It doesn't have to be this exactly but this is the area ICC should be exploring not 4-day tests which is counterproductive.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What happens when it rains, say for even half a day? You can recover in a 5 day test but it becomes impossible in 4 days.

What happens if both teams manage first big innings scores? Everyone will know the match is heading towards a draw simply because there's no time.

If the issue is forced and every wicket is designed to end the match within 4 days, the game will lose its balance.
    Good point- we already HAVE plenty of 4 day tests already, they just happen naturally and aren't forced. No-one finds them extra special and the ratings aren't any higher.

The 5th day is there to get more results and has a special drama when you get there with things still on the line.

Also agree with the posters saying that a sporting pitch (of any kind- turn, bounce, grass, pace, whatever) is essential for the format. Tough runs, bowlers with their tails up, having to sit in tight & survive for a spell or a session or make the daring counter-attack even more thrilling. All essential parts of a good test series. A test can go 3, 4 or 5 days quite naturally on a range of decent pitches.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Another issue no one thinks of is that, nowadays teams hardly complete 90 overs in a day, you think they'll do 105?

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1027 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    i do watch test matches but since i have a life i cannot watch all 5 days. at best i would watch a few overs in between and i do keep up with the scores regularly

there is no doubt that test cricket is boring and the MAJORITY prefer limited overs cricket. ppers like you do not understand that you guys are cricket nerds and you do not represent the majority population and they are the ones who matter not the 1% who still drool over test cricket
    We all have lives. That does not stop true cricket fans from spending that valuable time on true cricket not stupid IPL matches and T20 slogfests.

Spend two months on the IPL and everyone finds the time to watch it. But five days of test cricket and everyone gets busy. Just admit that you simply do not enjoy true cricket and refrain from commenting on it in the future.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1965 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I rather have 5 days cricket with the rest day to return making it a 6 day affair. Atleast it will protect players from injury.

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    4 days will work only if they put a cap on the maximum number of overs in an innings, may be 100?

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If duration of tests are reduced, then weaker teams, which otherwise would lose will escape with draws. Tests are supposed to be a thorough test of the abilities of the two teams and that purpose would be defeated if there was no fifth day.

Four day "tests"should only have first class status at the most.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1811 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Brearley: I'd like the ICC to stick to five-day Tests

Calcutta: John Michael Brearley, among the most distinguished of captains ever, interacted with The Telegraph exclusively on the possibility of four-day Test matches.

The interaction took place on Saturday, triggered by South Africa’s proposal for a four-day face-off against Zimbabwe from December 26.

If the four-day Test in Port Elizabeth is approved by the International Cricket Council (ICC), then it would be a first since the three Tests in the 1972-73 series between Pakistan and New Zealand in New Zealand.

That series, by the way, was won 1-0 by Pakistan.

Brearley chairs the MCC’s highly influential World Cricket Committee (WCC), which includes our very own Sourav Ganguly.

While the MCC remains the custodian of the laws of cricket, the ICC alone will take a call on five and/or four-day Tests.

As things stand, the ICC’s standard Test playing conditions state: “Matches shall be of five days scheduled duration…”

Excerpts...

On South Africa’s proposal...

I’d like Tests to be played over five days, but that won’t happen (forever). It’s probably inevitable that a Test will at least be tried over a four-day period.

On the ICC having already devoted time, informally, on discussing four-day Tests provided agreed upon between Boards bilaterally...

Yes, the ICC has been mulling that. The argument being it will increase the tempo and that it would be easier to schedule.

On South Africa’s proposal being part of the agenda of the ICC’s upcoming board meeting, in Auckland...

Personally, I’d like the ICC to stick to five-day Tests.

On Kapil Dev’s view that there shouldn’t be too much tinkering with Test cricket and that history and traditions matter...

I agree with Kapil, though Tests have been of variable lengths in history. As for tradition, it’s important, but that does not mean no change.

On issues with accurately judging performances should both five and four-day Tests exist side by side...

Statistics in any case are, to some extent, unreliable as pitches and the quality of the opposition come into play.

On the stand of the WCC which he chairs...

When we met in Mumbai last December, the Committee was split on four-day Tests. When we met in London two months ago, more in the Committee favoured sticking to five days as a definitive or a distinguishing feature of the most challenging and distinguished form of cricket.

Finally, on D/N Test cricket slowly but surely taking off... The MCC, after all, helped with the funding of research related to the introduction of the pink ball...

Of course, I’m happy. However, D/N Tests are just one part of the whole gamut of things which need to be brought in for Test cricket to thrive.

https://www.telegraphindia.com/11709...ory_174771.jsp

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Keep at it 5.