Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[REPORT] Mike Hesson out of the race for position of Head Coach for Pakistan [Post #98]

NZ media commenting on Mike in talks with BCCI and PCB for the head coach job. Looks like he is in hot demand.

How good do we rate him?

====

Former Black Caps coach Mike Hesson is down to the final three in the Indian coaching race and is being lined up by Pakistan as Mickey Arthur's potential replacement as job vacancies open up around the cricket world.

Hesson announced on Twitter on Thursday he had parted ways with his Indian Premier League side Kings XI Punjab after one season at the helm.

Coincidentally or not, Pakistan's Cricket Board (PCB) confirmed on Wednesday it wouldn't be renewing Arthur's contract, meaning the South African walks away next week after three years in charge. It is understood the PCB has already sounded out Hesson about applying.

Mike Hesson stepped down after six years as Black Caps coach in June last year.
    Hesson declined to comment on the reasons for his departure from Kings XI, or the many job prospects he now appears to have at international level and in the IPL with his widely respected coaching credentials.

South Africa, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka also parted ways with their coaches post-World Cup, while England's Trevor Bayliss is stepping down after the Ashes series to take the reins at Sunrisers Hyderabad.

After stepping aside as Black Caps coach, Mike Hesson took the reins with IPL side Kings XI Punjab for one season.
    The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) called for applicants for its head coaching role after the World Cup semifinal defeat to New Zealand, and Hesson was reported to have made the final three for next week's interviews.

Incumbent Ravi Shastri wants to continue and is favoured to retain his spot, while Hesson and Australian Tom Moody were among two high profile offshore applicants. Hesson's predecessor with the Black Caps, John Wright, was India's first foreign coach in 2000, followed by Greg Chappell, Gary Kirsten and Duncan Fletcher.

India's coach will be chosen by a three-member Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) of Indian great Kapil Dev, former coach Anshuman Gaekwad and former India women's captain Shantha Rangaswamy.

India's head coach Ravi Shastri is the favourite to continue at the helm, with interviews set for next week.
    Hesson coached the Black Caps for six years, highlighted by their memorable run to the 2015 Cricket World Cup final in Melbourne, a semifinal finish at the 2016 World Twenty20 in India and a home test series win over England in April 2018 which boosted them to third on the world rankings.

He stepped down in June last year with a year to run on his contract, citing family reasons, as Gary Stead took the coaching reins.

Hesson's Kings XI Punjab finished sixth this year with six wins and eight losses, missing out on the top-four playoffs on net run rate.

"I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Kings XI franchise and wish to thank them for the season I had in charge. Whilst disappointed not to be able to build on the work we did this year, I'm sure success isn't too far away for them. I wish them all the best for the future," Hesson wrote.

The PCB confirmed a cleanout of their coaching staff with Arthur, batting coach Grant Flower and bowling coach Azhar Mahmood not having their contracts renewed.

According to a PCB statement on Wednesday, the board will be "immediately undertaking a robust recruitment process" ahead of Pakistan's next international commitment, a test series against Sri Lanka in October.

Media reported Arthur was keen to continue and asked for a two-year contract extension during a five-hour PCB cricket committee meeting on Monday, in which Arthur was grilled about his performance with the team over the last three years.

With Arthur at the helm alongside captain Sarfaraz Ahmed, Pakistan won 10 of their 28 tests (ranked seventh in the world), and 32 of their 68 one-day internationals (ranked sixth). They beat the Black Caps at the Cricket World Cup but were pipped to a semifinal berth on net run rate.

It was in Twenty20 cricket that Arthur and Pakistan really fired, winning 30 of their 37 matches to top the world rankings, just over a year out from the men's T20 World Cup in Australia.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...-pakistan-jobs
    Last edited by MenInG; 8th August 2019 at 14:09.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fantastic

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volcyz View Post
    Fantastic
    little more details plz

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Good tactically and a good manager, he was responsible for establishing a strong team culture with McCullum.

India or Pakistan would be lucky to have him.
    Last edited by Aman; 8th August 2019 at 14:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    He would be a solid hire.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has coached NZ from 2012 till 2018.

New Zealand were WC finalists during his regime.

It is an excellent replacement for Mickey.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be a great decision

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    Has coached NZ from 2012 till 2018.

New Zealand were WC finalists during his regime.

It is an excellent replacement for Mickey.
    You can basically credit him for 2019 too. It was his team, Stead reaped the benefits of a system which was already set in place.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bd media reporting that hesson is leading the race to be the next bd coach.... i believe bcci holds the key, only if they refuse hesson then there will be a race between bcb and pcb to lure him into the net

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    You can basically credit him for 2019 too. It was his team, Stead reaped the benefits of a system which was already set in place.
    Yeah, the core was there.

So can we say two time WC finalist?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Henson would be a good choice but my only concern is that he was a coach of a vastly different team who pride themselves of being the fittest and best fielding side. NZ traditionally are highly disciplined as well. Pakistan are opposite in every department.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mike Hesson should be a very good replacement for MA...

However should wait for BCCI to decide... If BCCI doesnt take him then PCB will get him in...

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    729 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Foreign coaches for a team like Pakistan can get tricky.

Yes, they're much better if the local applicants are the likes of Mohsin, Miandad, Sallu, and the other jealous ex-cricketers.

If educated, well-respected cricketers with a shrewd cricketing brain are in the run (like Misbah), then foreign coaches should become a 2nd priority. He's also the kind of guy who you want if fitness is going to be our top priority, no fitter cricketer than Misbah in the last few decades. Comes with no baggage or politics either.

PPers do not understand how important it is to communicate and convey your emotions, feelings, tactics when you're coaching.

Majority of the PAK team does not understand half of the time what the coach is saying.

A qualified, educated, well-respected local coach in this environment is always going to be better.

Hesson and others could be great options for teams like SL, IND.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    Henson would be a good choice but my only concern is that he was a coach of a vastly different team who pride themselves of being the fittest and best fielding side. NZ traditionally are highly disciplined as well. Pakistan are opposite in every department.
    If you take the youngsters Babar, Shadab, Hasan Ali, SSA, Hasnain, were all fit... If we see the 90s team of pak they were all fit too except Inzi who despite being fat still had the legs to run faster and great reflexes at slip..

When the WWs retire some of the players to name a few (MOYO, RAZZAQ, SHOAIB) didnt take their fitness seriously...

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

Yes, they're much better if the local applicants are the likes of Mohsin, Miandad, Sallu, and the other jealous ex-cricketers.

If educated, well-respected cricketers with a shrewd cricketing brain are in the run (like Misbah), then foreign coaches should become a 2nd priority. He's also the kind of guy who you want if fitness is going to be our top priority, no fitter cricketer than Misbah in the last few decades. Comes with no baggage or politics either.

PPers do not understand how important it is to communicate and convey your emotions, feelings, tactics when you're coaching.

Majority of the PAK team does not understand half of the time what the coach is saying.

A qualified, educated, well-respected local coach in this environment is always going to be better.

I feel MISBAH is used rightly now being placed in the cricket commitee...

He needs coaching credentials to coach a international team... Let him do that in PSL first just like MYK and prove that he is interested about coaching a bunch of players...

Hesson is the right replacement for MA and i dont think there is any language barrier now for the cricketers as they can understand clearly if not they can get the help of fellow players like IMAD, Shan to help them translate...

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    If you take the youngsters Babar, Shadab, Hasan Ali, SSA, Hasnain, were all fit... If we see the 90s team of pak they were all fit too except Inzi who despite being fat still had the legs to run faster and great reflexes at slip..

When the WWs retire some of the players to name a few (MOYO, RAZZAQ, SHOAIB) didnt take their fitness seriously...
    Its not true those players were fit, The were poor fielders almost all of them you named in the 90s. Their fitness was limited to straight running. And with the exception of Shadab all others are also poor fielders something no NZ coach can ever be used too.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

In that case we should consider a regular failure in U19 and A coach Basit Ali, Mohsin Khan under whom Pakistan beat England 3-0 in test and lost to England 4-0 in ODI ,or 4 time failure coach Miandad who do not worry about fitness.
    Also don't forget Inti's service is still available.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    I feel MISBAH is used rightly now being placed in the cricket commitee...

He needs coaching credentials to coach a international team... Let him do that in PSL first just like MYK and prove that he is interested about coaching a bunch of players...

Hesson is the right replacement for MA and i dont think there is any language barrier now for the cricketers as they can understand clearly if not they can get the help of fellow players like IMAD, Shan to help them translate...
    Misbah can bring Azhar Ali in ODI as a captain, replace Sadab, Haris, Sarfraz, Babar, Shaheen with Zulfi Baba, 40 years old Sakil Ansari, Shafiq, Hafeez and M Sami. Our team will be full of experience

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lol, I will probably get very few people agreeing with me on this, as I am not sure I agree with myself either, but if Azhar can rediscover his test batting form, I have no problem making him TEST skipper. Sarfraz has done a poor job with our test team

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If PCB wants to keep Sarfraz captain then no need to waste your time for looking professional coaches.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    If PCB wants to keep Sarfraz captain then no need to waste your time for looking professional coaches.
    Yep couldn't agree more, as the captain obviously holds a more prominent role in the team.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Yep couldn't agree more, as the captain obviously holds a more prominent role in the team.
    This is now no longer true - Most of the planing and work is now done prior to the game starting and role of a coach has become more important. Team selection, match day plans on how to bowl or play certain players in the apposition have all become part of the game.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    729 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In that case we should consider a regular failure in U19 and A coach Basit Ali, Mohsin Khan under whom Pakistan beat England 3-0 in test and lost to England 4-0 in ODI ,or 4 time failure coach Miandad who do not worry about fitness.
    Why consider them? I think you have some reading comprehension issues, read my post again, I'm against that type of local coaches and jealous ex cricketers.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is now no longer true - Most of the planing and work is now done prior to the game starting and role of a coach has become more important. Team selection, match day plans on how to bowl or play certain players in the apposition have all become part of the game.
    Captain is supposed to pick the team and whilst I agree the coaches do a lot of work behind the scenes prior to match day, you can get away with a bad coach if you have a good captain. But you certainly cannot get away with a good coach in a team with a substandard captain like Sarfraz.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why consider them? I think you have some reading comprehension issues, read my post again, I'm against that type of local coaches and jealous ex cricketers.
    He doesn't have read comprehension issues because you explicitly said "Foreign coaches for a team like Pakistan can get tricky", which means you clear do support a Pakistani to be the next head coach even though they are all sub-standard.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Captain is supposed to pick the team and whilst I agree the coaches do a lot of work behind the scenes prior to match day, you can get away with a bad coach if you have a good captain. But you certainly cannot get away with a good coach in a team with a substandard captain like Sarfraz.
    I would argue that coaches are more important now a days than captain. As simple things like which lengths to bowl on which wickets has to come from the bowling coach before the game following his assessment of opposition batsmen and the pitch. And also the general plan of what brand of cricket the team plays etc has to come from the main coach. Captain has a say in the team selection but now a days coach also has an input. Sure good Captain is important but not as important as coaches in my opinion.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bro the motive for his hate of Mickey is because he accomplished more than Misbah in ODIs, for e.g. Misbah in the 2013 CT lost every game whilst Mickey's Pakistan won it. In addition the latter's WC team also put on a more respectable showing than Misbah's 2015 WC.

Mickey has exposed the incompetence of his hero and he can't live with that...

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hesson would be a good choice but not sure he would want to work with Pakistan.

Misbah, Wahab, Junaid, Root, Williamson fan.
    T20 isn't Cricket

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would argue that coaches are more important now a days than captain. As simple things like which lengths to bowl on which wickets has to come from the bowling coach before the game following his assessment of opposition batsmen and the pitch. And also the general plan of what brand of cricket the team plays etc has to come from the main coach. Captain has a say in the team selection but now a days coach also has an input. Sure good Captain is important but not as important as coaches in my opinion.
    What youíre forgetting is that the captain holds the ultimate responsibility on various key tactical decisions and they formulate their strategies on the basis of the following:

- Which players make the XI
    - Whether to bat or bowl (if they win the toss)
    - Field placings
    - Bowling changes
    - Batting order

A coach can give their input on the above but they final decision lies with the captain on the team.

In contrast with football, the coach selects the players and tactics such as formation, substitutions and etc.

Coaches and analysts play an important role behind the scenes but itís not as fundamental as the responsibility of captaincy.

If we assume there are two teams with the same XI but differ in their choices of captain and coach. The team with a good captain but poor coach will be more successful than a poor captain with a good coach.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1094 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter if the next coach has the motivational skills of Bill Shankly, tactical nous of Pep Guardiola and experience of Alex Ferguson - as long as Sarfraz is in charge we will go nowhere.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What you’re forgetting is that the captain holds the ultimate responsibility on various key tactical decisions and they formulate their strategies on the basis of the following:

- Which players make the XI
    - Whether to bat or bowl (if they win the toss)
    - Field placings
    - Bowling changes
    - Batting order

A coach can give their input on the above but they final decision lies with the captain on the team.

In contrast with football, the coach selects the players and tactics such as formation, substitutions and etc.

Coaches and analysts play an important role behind the scenes but it’s not as fundamental as the responsibility of captaincy.

If we assume there are two teams with the same XI but differ in their choices of captain and coach. The team with a good captain but poor coach will be more successful than a poor captain with a good coach.
    This is arguable and we cant be sure about that - Sarfraz always gave an impression that everything he did was a decision between him and coaches in which case his influence was limited and giving him a good coaching staff would really help. Other captains say Graeme Smith always gave an impression that he was running the show mostly himself in which case if he was a poor captain than a good coaching team would not help as much.

In my opinion if you have a captain like Sarfraz then its even more important to give him a great coaching team as he really relies on them to come up with most of the plans and team selection etc. Actually even if we do away with Sarfraz I dont think there is a captain in the waiting who can be like Graeme smith or Imran Khan. Last one probably was younis and to an extent misbah.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Doesn't matter if the next coach has the motivational skills of Bill Shankly, tactical nous of Pep Guardiola and experience of Alex Ferguson - as long as Sarfraz is in charge we will go nowhere.
    This

Coach will make no difference if your leader is batting like a tailender for last two years.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    But but but Pakistan should not let Mickey go otherwise no foreign coach would want to do the job for Pakistan....

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best coaches around surely. Would be a solid choice if everything goes smoothly.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    But but but Pakistan should not let Mickey go otherwise no foreign coach would want to do the job for Pakistan....
    Lets see!!!! We have plenty of desi coaches like Miandad, Latif, Mohsin.....

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Lol with the quality of applications coming in, the PCB wasted no time in sending Mickey Arthur packing. Arthur was also given a final opportunity to satisfy the PCB Cricket Committee but failed to answer their questions

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Lets see!!!! We have plenty of desi coaches like Miandad, Latif, Mohsin.....
    Money talks. A good amount of money will get any elite foreign coach.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSchultz View Post
    Hesson would be a good choice but not sure he would want to work with Pakistan.
    There are 8-10 test playing nations, its not like every good coach is spoilt for choices if he wants to take job at international level. Believe it or not PCB is still better managed than for example Srl, CSA and WI and while team is not world beater its a decent team with upcoming youngsters which any coach if being paid decently would love to coach. Unless Hesson has offers from Aus, Eng, India, he isnt compensated according to his demand, wants to give time to family or not given the control he wants there is no reasons he wont take the job.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    There are 8-10 test playing nations, its not like every good coach is spoilt for choices if he wants to take job at international level. Believe it or not PCB is still better managed than for example Srl, CSA and WI and while team is not world beater its a decent team with upcoming youngsters which any coach if being paid decently would love to coach. Unless Hesson has offers from Aus, Eng, India, he isnt compensated according to his demand, wants to give time to family or not given the control he wants there is no reasons he wont take the job.
    There may be only 12 test teams yet there are also 18 counties, IPL/BBL franchises among others that would pay handsomely for a coach like Hesson.

Misbah, Wahab, Junaid, Root, Williamson fan.
    T20 isn't Cricket

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Would be a fantastic hire, NZ did really well under him

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There may be only 12 test teams yet there are also 18 counties, IPL/BBL franchises among others that would pay handsomely for a coach like Hesson.
    Yes they pay well but we have to understand anyone who becomes a coach his ultimate sense of achievement is coaching an international side to success as that is what is remembered in history (E.g Kirsten is still considered a top coach due to his success with international team and his failures in leagues are not even considered much).

Obviously priorities can change through out life and that is why I said if he is interested in an international coaching job there is no reason he wont be interested in Pak's coach role unless he has offers from Aus, Eng or India or other reasons like family, compensation and control.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Hesson seems a bit too soft and nice, not sure if a personality like that is ideal for the job tbh.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    He just resigned as the head coach of an IPL team earlier today.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be a great replacement for MA.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    This would be an excellent signing by the pcb.

Get him in!!

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did PCB even put up a rec for the post? How can he be a possible candidate without a job posting?

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Paul Heyman or even Bobby The Brain Heenan could be the next Pakistan coach and still we will go no where @Markhor @Red Devil @Hitman

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Sarfraz needs to be sacked first before we consider such options but they rewarded him for winning all the biryani food challenges in Karachi with a central contract, he truly must be the second coming of Imran Khan @MMHS

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Sarfraz needs to be sacked first before we consider such options but they rewarded him for winning all the biryani food challenges in Karachi with a central contract, he truly must be the second coming of Imran Khan @MMHS
    He is awarded a Category A contract till June 2020, which means he is certain to remain Captain till that period and considering T20 WC in OCT'20, I can safely say that apart from injury (or ban), Sarfraz will lead PAK in next ICC event; who knows, many be for the next 2, as the following T20 WC is starting in less than a year time after 2020!!!!

I read from Dhaka that Hesson is due for his interview/presentation on Friday (less than 12 hours from now), and he is BCB's one of two choices. Since leaving the Kiwi job voluntarily, guy himself has applied for the BCB position, and he is scheduled after Domingo, therefore I guess he is first choice. BCB's other 2 specialist coaches (Langvelt & Mackenzy) worked under Domingo during his SAF, HC days, initially I thought BCB will go for him, but Dan Vett is the spin coach now as well, who should balance it for Hesson.

Don't think PCB has advertised for any coaching role yet, and there are 4-5 positions open right now (SAF, ENG, BD, SRL, IND ...), therefore we might see a surprise name for PCT. My personal choice for either team was Graham Ford or Tom Moody, but BCB is more interested in younger profile - every coaching staff that has been interviewed are in late 30s to mid 40s.
    Last edited by MMHS; 9th August 2019 at 01:10.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    According to report Sarfraz will be retained as captain

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to report Sarfraz will be retained as captain
    Reports were saying Mickey was to be retained as well so I wont trust the reports too much.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @MMHS, what’s your opinion about Wasim Khan’s performance? So far nothing special apart from release the coach staffs, it awarding contract to Hafeez, but award Sarfraz A contract and keep the same leeches in PCB.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hesson is a better coach than Mickey.

Also vastly more experienced than Dean Jones who I've heard preferred on here- but Jones has never coached a team long term or for a long format game. He's almost an amateur.

Hesson or Moody would be good choices.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    Hesson is a better coach than Mickey.

Also vastly more experienced than Dean Jones who I've heard preferred on here- but Jones has never coached a team long term or for a long format game. He's almost an amateur.

Hesson or Moody would be good choices.
    Is he yes man or Stubborn on his decision? He will keep the job is no.1 otherwise if he wants to kick out non-performers he may have same fate like Micky.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Edmonton-Lahore Canada-Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    YES! We have a SOLID candidate for head coach now. Gotta grab him! I'd probably take him over Moody and Deano.

IN PAKISTAN LIES OUR DELIVERANCE,DEFENCE, AND HONOUR.
    -Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    @MMHS, whatís your opinion about Wasim Khanís performance? So far nothing special apart from release the coach staffs, it awarding contract to Hafeez, but award Sarfraz A contract and keep the same leeches in PCB.
    He is doing his job perfectly, but not every thing is at his hand and it shouldnít be either, which again will make it one man show. For example, he has chalked out the FC structure which I like, but then he canít hand pick 150 players - if people responsible for selection keeps selecting their favourites, canít blame WK. Similarly, after WC ďachievementsĒ, they decided that coaching staffs had to leave - now if the group selects Mohsin Khan as next coach, WK alone canít be blamed.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MMHS, what’s your opinion about Wasim Khan’s performance? So far nothing special apart from release the coach staffs, it awarding contract to Hafeez, but award Sarfraz A contract and keep the same leeches in PCB.
    What are you, 2 years old? Was Paris built in one day? Just chill and let the man do his job for atleast 1 year before jumping the gun

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
    What are you, 2 years old? Was Paris built in one day? Just chill and let the man do his job for atleast 1 year before jumping the gun

I am very hopeful with Wasim Khan but the problem is the longer you keep those leeches the stronger they will become against him.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    630 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    He would be a solid hire.
    But would he be able to handle the Pakistani pressure.

See in NZ he is admired and is a great coach

But in Pakistan our soo called experts will bash him for not playing international cricket or even first class.

Remember that witherland or whatever his name was, how much that guy was bashed when he was hired as batting consultant. That guy went on to get hired with some other team

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post

But in Pakistan our soo called experts will bash him for not playing international cricket or even first class.

Remember that witherland or whatever his name was, how much that guy was bashed when he was hired as batting consultant. That guy went on to get hired with some other team
    To be honest Misbah has potential to be a good coach if he is not obsessed with 35+ old players. With his present attitude Misbah will bring Gul, Sami, Rahat, Zulfi in bowling and also may get rid of Imam, Babar, Haris plus block the way of any young batsman.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    He is doing his job perfectly, but not every thing is at his hand and it shouldn’t be either, which again will make it one man show. For example, he has chalked out the FC structure which I like, but then he can’t hand pick 150 players - if people responsible for selection keeps selecting their favourites, can’t blame WK. Similarly, after WC “achievements”, they decided that coaching staffs had to leave - now if the group selects Mohsin Khan as next coach, WK alone can’t be blamed.
    I have a lot of faith in Wasim Khan and was delighted of his appointment, when it was announced. However, what can justify retaining Sarfraz as captain? - of which is pretty evident by PCB's decision to award him with quite an exclusive Grade A contract (along with just two other cricketers).

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To be honest Misbah has potential to be a good coach if he is not obsessed with 35+ old players. With his present attitude Misbah will bring Gul, Sami, Rahat, Zulfi in bowling and also may get rid of Imam, Babar, Haris plus block the way of any young batsman.
    Misbah's appetite for the most senior players is just one of the main reasons why Pakistan could do without him.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    I don't get Hesson going after the Bangladesh job.

Either

1) his circumstances have changed and he can't ask to come back
    2) he was actually pushed out
    3) Bangladesh are offering a lot of money

Pakistan would be a sideways movement, no issue there and India is a step up and will likely the best position financially speaking.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    I don't get Hesson going after the Bangladesh job.

Either

1) his circumstances have changed and he can't ask to come back
    2) he was actually pushed out
    3) Bangladesh are offering a lot of money

Pakistan would be a sideways movement, no issue there and India is a step up and will likely the best position financially speaking.
    Difficult to say what is happening behind the scenes - I am guessing a lot of push and pull.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see Hesson become Indian coach tbh, more stable environment and India have a good chance of winning a WC.

Pakistan I feel the media and fans will go after him hard as the team isn't consistent and a lot of politics.

Ideal world we get Fleming and Bond back as bowling coach.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see Hesson become Indian coach tbh, more stable environment and India have a good chance of winning a WC.

Pakistan I feel the media and fans will go after him hard as the team isn't consistent and a lot of politics.

Ideal world we get Fleming and Bond back as bowling coach.
    The challenge is to take a Pakistan team to the top - that is what will make Hesson great.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post

I'm assuming Hesson is up for the challenge if he applies.

It's no secret South Asian media and fans are some of the worst critics on planet Earth. Regardless of who comes in, they're going to face the same pressure. From what I've noticed, Pakistani media and fans don't discriminate when it comes to bashing people left, right, and center as soon as something goes wrong.

I think their primary goal is to bring in the best possible candidate and Hesson passes that test.

For the media, I'd recommend Wasim Khan creating a strong safety net around the captain/coach by installing professional PR managers/media managers. Not just someone looking to cash a paycheck. Instead, it should be a team of professionals that know what they're doing and have the necessary experience.

I actually live in one of the harshest sports markets in the world (Toronto) when it comes to ice hockey. The media are a bunch of savages and I've seen how the management protects its coaches/players. They set up a proper bubble around the players and staff ensuring they can go about their work without outside trouble. It seems impossible but when it's done right, even the Pakistani media won't be able to break through and create problems.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    I'm assuming Hesson is up for the challenge if he applies.

It's no secret South Asian media and fans are some of the worst critics on planet Earth. Regardless of who comes in, they're going to face the same pressure. From what I've noticed, Pakistani media and fans don't discriminate when it comes to bashing people left, right, and center as soon as something goes wrong.

I think their primary goal is to bring in the best possible candidate and Hesson passes that test.

For the media, I'd recommend Wasim Khan creating a strong safety net around the captain/coach by installing professional PR managers/media managers. Not just someone looking to cash a paycheck. Instead, it should be a team of professionals that know what they're doing and have the necessary experience.

I actually live in one of the harshest sports markets in the world (Toronto) when it comes to ice hockey. The media are a bunch of savages and I've seen how the management protects its coaches/players. They set up a proper bubble around the players and staff ensuring they can go about their work without outside trouble. It seems impossible but when it's done right, even the Pakistani media won't be able to break through and create problems.
    From what I heard, Hesson played a part in McCullum displacing Taylor. I remember the word mutiny and coup being used for that incident, it got pretty ugly.

Whether he would back a move like that for Pakistan, I don't know. Doing it for NZ is one thing, entirely another for Pakistan. The media would go after him hard, the NZ media went after McCullum and Hesson when it happened. Can imagine how bad it would get if he were to axe Sarfraz and back someone like Babar or Azhar Ali.
    Last edited by Aman; 10th August 2019 at 13:36.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Likewise for India and Rohit and Kohli.

Problem is Kohli has a lot of power, the BCCI would back Kohli over him. If Hesson gets the job, he would need all the power and if he feels Rohit would be better to lead, he may be the guy to make it happen. He did it with McCullum.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Here's McCullum's side of it

Brendon McCullum has described the manoeuvrings that saw him take over from the dumped Ross Taylor as national cricket captain as "The Coup that Wasn't".

The former wicketkeeper-batsman has peeled back the scab of the great captaincy debate in his book Declared, which is sure to reignite a feud between two of the country's greatest players.

McCullum writes that the cracks that were widening on the disastrous 2012 tour to the West Indies became rifts on the tours to India and Sri Lanka a short time later.

Part of the problem, he asserted, was Taylor's failure to embrace Hesson as coach.

"It seemed to me that right from the start, Ross was suspicious of Hess's motives. So instead of taking Hess on his merits, Ross seemed already closed to him."

McCullum was by now aware of the conspiracy talk: that his mate Stephen Fleming had instructed the selection panel to appoint his other mate Hesson and that Taylor would be jettisoned. The problem with that story was that McCullum wanted Matthew Mott, an Australian, as coach.

"It was clear that logic would play an ever-diminishing role," McCullum wrote.

Hesson would hold meetings on that tour, trying to get a sense of the direction the team wanted to go into and give Taylor a forum where he could stamp his brand on the team.

"Ross would say nothing. Not a word. What the hell was he thinking? I had no idea. Ross is a reasonably trusting guy in most circumstances, so someone must have been telling him to watch his back."

McCullum says for the first time he felt in a predicament. Senior players were coming to him to ask Taylor for more direction.

"I didn't want to be their messenger because I didn't want Ross to feel as if he was being ganged up on... if anything Hesson's appointment worsened that situation for me.

"I got caught in the middle of a situation of a captain who wouldn't talk to his coach or his team."

By this stage they had failed miserably at the World T20 champs in Sri Lanka and stayed on for a full tour. McCullum was at personal breaking point. He was finding it harder to separate his personal life from cricket life and needed an outlet.

The Black Caps were a fully "dysfunctional family" and McCullum need to vent.

"You just can't do that without creating a lot of collateral [damage]. So you either bottle it up or release it somewhere else."

Enter "the eccentric" Kerry Schwalger. McCullum had hired him to be his mental conditioning coach, which included "neuro-imaging strategies".

The fact McCullum was rarely in Christchurch made it harder to communicate, but "Kerry had still done his best to keep me focused and believing in myself - mostly through over-the-top emails about my supernatural abilities, featuring a lot of exclamation marks. To be honest, some of it might have been laughable, but I still lapped it up."

In Sri Lanka, McCullum used Schwalger to vent his increasing frustrations.

"[I was] trying to vent clear my head and spleen of all the crap, so I could go out and play the next day without all this ****** fug holding me back."

McCullum thought he was safe to use Schwalger as a sounding-off board because they were confidential communications.

The tone of Schwalger's responses started to change. McCullum writes that Schwalger would start to impersonate him, using words he'd never use and "a sustained level of invective that's make your hair curl. It was outrageous and a bit disquieting to read 'myself' saying these things."

John Buchanan flew over for the first Sri Lanka test but McCullum says he read nothing into that. In a meeting before the first test Hesson again gave the senior players an opportunity to forge a direction and Kyle Mills took the opportunity to deliver a strong message.

"Ross said very little and seemed disengaged from it all," McCullum writes. "Maybe it was at this point Hesson lost faith in Ross. I'm not sure; Hesson wasn't confiding in me but he's not that hard to read. He's not overtly emotional, just gets a very serious look on his face and starts fiddling with his glasses. I could see that he was fed up with Ross. We were at the stage where something had to give."

McCullum claims that several players approached him after the meeting expressing their disappointment.

"That's putting it mildly. What they said was variations of 'Would someone just make an effin' decision!'," McCullum writes.

McCullum kept venting to Schwalger and humiliation in the first test seemed to confirm that the Black Caps had reached their nadir.

"The atmosphere in the changing room after that loss at Galle was awful, and I picked up on a fair bit of animosity towards Ross. The team was finally imploding. I decided things had gone far enough and asked Ross to come into the dunnies out the back with me.

"I said to him, 'This is your effin' team, mate. You need to grab it by the scruff of the neck and I will help you along the way, otherwise we're going to lose our way completely.'

"Ross was standing leaning against the window. He had this expression on his face, again difficult to read. Again, he said nothing...

"To me it was one last try: we both knew that I'd be next in line. From my point of view, I wanted a clear conscience - I'd offer him my support if he was prepared to step up, but if he didn't, or couldn't, it wasn't on my head.

"Later, it transpired that the horse had already bolted."

Taylor had been told four days before the Galle test, in that infamous meeting between him Hesson, manager Mike Sandle and assistant Bob Carter that he be relieved of the captaincy. There is conjecture about whether it was for the short forms or everything, but Taylor understood it to be the lot.

The Black Caps, thanks largely to a magnificent century and half-century double from Taylor, won the second test.

The floodgates were about to open.

Captaincy saga timeline
    2009: Brendon McCullum is dropped as vice-captain of the national team by coach Andy Moles.

2011: Ross Taylor is named as New Zealand captain in all three forms of the game, replacing Dan Vettori.

July 2012: Mike Hesson succeeds John Wright as national coach.

November 2012: During a tour of Sri Lanka, Hesson informs Taylor he will recommend leadership changes to NZ Cricket's board after the tour. He meant in white-ball cricket but he failed to convey that message clearly to Taylor.

December 2012: McCullum is named as the new national skipper in all three forms of the game. NZC say Taylor declined an offer to remain test captain. Amid fierce criticism of how it had handled the captaincy issue, NZC chairman Chris Moller apologises to Taylor but says no heads will roll over the affair.

March 2013: Former national captain John Parker reveals to Radio Sport that he and up to 40 other prominent past cricketers have prepared a dossier that proves Taylor was "done over" by McCullum, Hesson and NZC chief executive David White.

April 2013: McCullum says he will take legal action for defamation against Parker and others over their allegations. Parker apologises publicly and McCullum withdraws his legal action.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=11732607

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hesson is also shortlisted as a potential Bangladeshi coach. Looks like at least three countries are trying to get him (BCCI, PCB, and BCB).

BANGLADESH FAN
    RAPTORS FAN
    LIVERPOOL FAN

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's McCullum's side of it

Brendon McCullum has described the manoeuvrings that saw him take over from the dumped Ross Taylor as national cricket captain as "The Coup that Wasn't".

The former wicketkeeper-batsman has peeled back the scab of the great captaincy debate in his book Declared, which is sure to reignite a feud between two of the country's greatest players.

McCullum writes that the cracks that were widening on the disastrous 2012 tour to the West Indies became rifts on the tours to India and Sri Lanka a short time later.

Part of the problem, he asserted, was Taylor's failure to embrace Hesson as coach.

"It seemed to me that right from the start, Ross was suspicious of Hess's motives. So instead of taking Hess on his merits, Ross seemed already closed to him."

McCullum was by now aware of the conspiracy talk: that his mate Stephen Fleming had instructed the selection panel to appoint his other mate Hesson and that Taylor would be jettisoned. The problem with that story was that McCullum wanted Matthew Mott, an Australian, as coach.

"It was clear that logic would play an ever-diminishing role," McCullum wrote.

Hesson would hold meetings on that tour, trying to get a sense of the direction the team wanted to go into and give Taylor a forum where he could stamp his brand on the team.

"Ross would say nothing. Not a word. What the hell was he thinking? I had no idea. Ross is a reasonably trusting guy in most circumstances, so someone must have been telling him to watch his back."

McCullum says for the first time he felt in a predicament. Senior players were coming to him to ask Taylor for more direction.

"I didn't want to be their messenger because I didn't want Ross to feel as if he was being ganged up on... if anything Hesson's appointment worsened that situation for me.

"I got caught in the middle of a situation of a captain who wouldn't talk to his coach or his team."

By this stage they had failed miserably at the World T20 champs in Sri Lanka and stayed on for a full tour. McCullum was at personal breaking point. He was finding it harder to separate his personal life from cricket life and needed an outlet.

The Black Caps were a fully "dysfunctional family" and McCullum need to vent.

"You just can't do that without creating a lot of collateral [damage]. So you either bottle it up or release it somewhere else."

Enter "the eccentric" Kerry Schwalger. McCullum had hired him to be his mental conditioning coach, which included "neuro-imaging strategies".

The fact McCullum was rarely in Christchurch made it harder to communicate, but "Kerry had still done his best to keep me focused and believing in myself - mostly through over-the-top emails about my supernatural abilities, featuring a lot of exclamation marks. To be honest, some of it might have been laughable, but I still lapped it up."

In Sri Lanka, McCullum used Schwalger to vent his increasing frustrations.

"[I was] trying to vent clear my head and spleen of all the crap, so I could go out and play the next day without all this ****** fug holding me back."

McCullum thought he was safe to use Schwalger as a sounding-off board because they were confidential communications.

The tone of Schwalger's responses started to change. McCullum writes that Schwalger would start to impersonate him, using words he'd never use and "a sustained level of invective that's make your hair curl. It was outrageous and a bit disquieting to read 'myself' saying these things."

John Buchanan flew over for the first Sri Lanka test but McCullum says he read nothing into that. In a meeting before the first test Hesson again gave the senior players an opportunity to forge a direction and Kyle Mills took the opportunity to deliver a strong message.

"Ross said very little and seemed disengaged from it all," McCullum writes. "Maybe it was at this point Hesson lost faith in Ross. I'm not sure; Hesson wasn't confiding in me but he's not that hard to read. He's not overtly emotional, just gets a very serious look on his face and starts fiddling with his glasses. I could see that he was fed up with Ross. We were at the stage where something had to give."

McCullum claims that several players approached him after the meeting expressing their disappointment.

"That's putting it mildly. What they said was variations of 'Would someone just make an effin' decision!'," McCullum writes.

McCullum kept venting to Schwalger and humiliation in the first test seemed to confirm that the Black Caps had reached their nadir.

"The atmosphere in the changing room after that loss at Galle was awful, and I picked up on a fair bit of animosity towards Ross. The team was finally imploding. I decided things had gone far enough and asked Ross to come into the dunnies out the back with me.

"I said to him, 'This is your effin' team, mate. You need to grab it by the scruff of the neck and I will help you along the way, otherwise we're going to lose our way completely.'

"Ross was standing leaning against the window. He had this expression on his face, again difficult to read. Again, he said nothing...

"To me it was one last try: we both knew that I'd be next in line. From my point of view, I wanted a clear conscience - I'd offer him my support if he was prepared to step up, but if he didn't, or couldn't, it wasn't on my head.

"Later, it transpired that the horse had already bolted."

Taylor had been told four days before the Galle test, in that infamous meeting between him Hesson, manager Mike Sandle and assistant Bob Carter that he be relieved of the captaincy. There is conjecture about whether it was for the short forms or everything, but Taylor understood it to be the lot.

The Black Caps, thanks largely to a magnificent century and half-century double from Taylor, won the second test.

The floodgates were about to open.

Captaincy saga timeline
    2009: Brendon McCullum is dropped as vice-captain of the national team by coach Andy Moles.

2011: Ross Taylor is named as New Zealand captain in all three forms of the game, replacing Dan Vettori.

July 2012: Mike Hesson succeeds John Wright as national coach.

November 2012: During a tour of Sri Lanka, Hesson informs Taylor he will recommend leadership changes to NZ Cricket's board after the tour. He meant in white-ball cricket but he failed to convey that message clearly to Taylor.

December 2012: McCullum is named as the new national skipper in all three forms of the game. NZC say Taylor declined an offer to remain test captain. Amid fierce criticism of how it had handled the captaincy issue, NZC chairman Chris Moller apologises to Taylor but says no heads will roll over the affair.

March 2013: Former national captain John Parker reveals to Radio Sport that he and up to 40 other prominent past cricketers have prepared a dossier that proves Taylor was "done over" by McCullum, Hesson and NZC chief executive David White.

April 2013: McCullum says he will take legal action for defamation against Parker and others over their allegations. Parker apologises publicly and McCullum withdraws his legal action.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=11732607
    There are no clear winners in this story, reads a but like a trainwreck.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We will not appoint him imo.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muqarrab View Post
    There are no clear winners in this story, reads a but like a trainwreck.
    It was a trainwreck and it resulted in a lot of vitriol towards Hesson and McCullum from the New Zealand public for a long time. It wasn't executed well. Don't know if that was because of Hesson or our mediocre CEO David White. Even today there are those who dislike the two but most came around due to the teams success.

As far as the success is concerned it was hard to tell exactly how much of it was due to Hesson and how much was down to McCullum excelling as a captain alongside the emergence of Kane and Boult and the improvement of Taylor. Our players on field performances seemed closer tied to the specialist assistants but he had the team running well as a unit. Again hard to say how much of that was the likes of McCullum and Williamson.

One thing that was very notable about Hessons coaching style was his willingness to back his players. Sometimes it was frustrating and sometimes it bore fruit. Many wanted the likes of Hamish Rutherford, Peter Fulton and Luke Ronchi dropped for not performing for a long time before it eventually happened (They all got about 2-3 years of failing before being dropped) but Henry Nicholls really blossomed when many would have dropped him. Overall it seemed worthwhile because players weren't looking over their shoulders all the time and the players got a proper chance to develop their talent. Also had a masterstroke bringing back Elliott from nowhere for the 2015 world cup.

The other notable thing was that he was good at not messing things up. Yes he was reviled early but evidently he and McCullum forged a new and improved culture and once that was in place there were no major hiccups. Hard to say if he could do that with a team with as many outside forces as Pakistan though.

Ultimately he ended up proving himself to be a good coach.
    Last edited by Phantom Menace; 12th August 2019 at 11:45.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea who has applied so far for coach's role?

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is he yes man or Stubborn on his decision? He will keep the job is no.1 otherwise if he wants to kick out non-performers he may have same fate like Micky.
    He's not a yes man but he is practical. Kiwi's are generally able to work with others & negotiate subtlety- more pragmatic & practical than stubborn.

I think the new man in charge of Pakistan cricket is putting a broom through some old faults, one step at a time. First up was the new domestic set up. They did not kowtow to old habits there.

Next he allowed the coaches to stay on until WC was finished, assessed the performance as lacking & has moved to appoint new people. That all looks sensible.

I suspect Hesson would be able to work with Pakistan cricket to improve it, whilst surviving & pushing back against the potential interference more effectively than Mickey did. Mickey tended to blunder many of his working relationships rather than manage them effectively time & time again- see his spectacular fallouts with G Smith; the entire Australian team; Wahab Riaz; Pakistani selectors/management etc etc. After a time a pattern forms & we see Mickey as the common denominator.

I think Hesson can be smarter than Mickey & the new PCB chiefs more professional, step by step.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also worth noting that appointing McCullum was the right move.

NZ went from strength to strength under him & became a real contender. Still haven't won but slowly getting closer. They were going backwards under Taylor by the end imo.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    868 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    So Mike Henson is out of race from India.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1094 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Bangladesh appoint Russell Domingo. With Shastri being retained by India, the field narrows.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    PCB should get this guy in asap despite all the nonsense from some ex-players about getting in a Pakistani coach.