User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

The Ben Stokes Test innings - a by product of the 'IPL' era?

David Gower remarked on TV after Stokes innings took England to a fantastic 1 wicket win.

“There are many players earning millions in the IPL which is far inferior to what we have seen today”

Many would say that this innings from Ben Stokes is exactly due to his time in the IPL or similar tournaments.

Opinions?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    David Gower remarked on TV after Stokes innings took England to a fantastic 1 wicket win.

“There are many players earning millions in the IPL which is far inferior to what we have seen today”

Many would say that this innings from Ben Stokes is exactly due to his time in the IPL or similar tournaments.

Opinions?
    I agree completely, no doubt playing in the ipl helps a player mentally and tecnically, as you can see nothing fases Ben when in a England shirt, So yes it's helped .

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Well I would say that Ben Stokes is a special talent. IPL is just rewarding him for his skills.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think players of the past would have had the belief to do what kusal and now stokes have done. Getting 75 with last wicket by just teeing off.
    You only get it done if you have the belief, and 20 20 is the reason these guys have that belief

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think such comments reflect insecurities of their support for test cricket. Nasser also dragged T20 leagues on air as Stokes hit the winning runs.

I do not see what T20 has anything to do with what transpired. The moment can be cherished on its own. But perhaps these people realize the T20 leagues have now become the premier format. A format they do not like. This manifests into these comments.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben Stokes was awesome for Rising Pune Supergiants. Probably the only player bought in the auction for over a million that was actually worth his price. Had he played for us in the finals too, we would have won the IPL trophy.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Well I would say that Ben Stokes is a special talent. IPL is just rewarding him for his skills.
    Tbh I don't think he would've produced an innings like this 25 years ago before T20 was invented. T20 has made batsman play aggressively in tests as well, that mentality is completely new regardless of how talented Stokes is.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Stupid, bitter comments. IPL is the highest form of T20 cricket and superior to bilateral ODIs as well. Playing in such a high quality, intense competition can only help players improve.

The days of playing in the IPL solely for money are long gone. It is now a genuine competition with a huge impact.

Stokes was the most expensive player in the 2017 edition and ended up as the player of the tournament. Only a daft person would suggest that it didn’t contribute towards his growth as a cricketer.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ben Stokes did plenty of hard yards in first class cricket before playing for England. But the IPL has helped in his growth as well.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excuse me Gower. who created T20? who is trying to popularize 100 ball cricket? It is all England.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    Excuse me Gower. who created T20? who is trying to popularize 100 ball cricket? It is all England.
    True.

Stokes' genius could've been appreciated without taking a dig at something else.

England has always been crybabies, surprisingly even when they win, finally.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    Gower is salty India stole all domestic T20 revenue. IPL is now the second largest cricketing event after World Cup.