User Tag List

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do teams have to disclose batting order ahead of the start of the innings?

I had this question popped in my mind before India vs Pakistan game in WC 2019 where I was expecting Rohit to face Amir for his first few balls (because he often get him early else he stays for big score) but Rohit ended up being on the other side and escaping Amir.

Makes me wonder what is the procedure to decide batting vs bowling order. Who does it first? Or the one winning the toss is expected to share before the other side? Or its a blinded guessing game where each cap is expected to list their opening batsman/bowler along with XI?

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that was the case, then many teams also shuffle their batting order due to game situation as required.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experiences playing club cricket, apart from nominating your playing XI, there aren't any restrictions on who can bat/bowl when and where.

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No team has to give a list of bowling/batter order. The captain/team management can decide and change the batting/bowling order at any point.

At the start of the innings, there is some advantage to the bowling side, as the batting side has to get two batsmen padded up and send them out in the field. The bowling side can at the very last minute change who is going to bowl the first over, after they've noticed who is taking strike first.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, batting order is up to the team management and captain, no team need to disclose that.

Only the XI names that will be playing is disclosed.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, otherwise night Watchmen wouldn't exist

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me and my brother usually toss who will face the first ball of the game... No, you don't have to disclose anything

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    No, there is no such stipulation. However, there is no advantage is not revealing the batting order because even a casual fan of the team in question can figure that out based on the names on the team-sheet.

As for Rohit dodging Amir: it is easier for batsmen to do that than bowlers. Bowlers need to warm-up, stretch, etc.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverseHit View Post
    No team has to give a list of bowling/batter order. The captain/team management can decide and change the batting/bowling order at any point.

At the start of the innings, there is some advantage to the bowling side, as the batting side has to get two batsmen padded up and send them out in the field. The bowling side can at the very last minute change who is going to bowl the first over, after they've noticed who is taking strike first.
    And those padded batsmen cant?

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    Nope, otherwise night Watchmen wouldn't exist
    Not talking about predefined batting order, but between those two who are supposed to open the innings.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no such need i guess. Openers can play #1 or #2 as their wish.

For rohit he always bats #1 when he opens with dhawan and #2 when he opens with rahul. Pak game was first time both rohit and rahul opened (due to dhawan injury).

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shockbound View Post
    I had this question popped in my mind before India vs Pakistan game in WC 2019 where I was expecting Rohit to face Amir for his first few balls (because he often get him early else he stays for big score) but Rohit ended up being on the other side and escaping Amir.

Makes me wonder what is the procedure to decide batting vs bowling order. Who does it first? Or the one winning the toss is expected to share before the other side? Or its a blinded guessing game where each cap is expected to list their opening batsman/bowler along with XI?
    If you did watch India games, you'll realize that it's always pre decided. With dhawan, rohit is #1. Rohit also doesn't prefer to be #1 but dhawan has more reluctant so rohit opens it.

If it is Rahul, rohit becomes #2.

Not sure what you are trying to ask her because if you are asking about openers only, then most teams have pre decided position (though not required by law) between two constant players. It will change only if one or the other can't play and another player has to fill the slot.
    Last edited by Itachi; 11th August 2019 at 14:41.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on? You really need to ask that question. Of course the batting order can be changed based on the match situation.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope you had started watching the cricket only recently because for someone to ask this kind of question, I don't know what to say!

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    I really hope you had started watching the cricket only recently because for someone to ask this kind of question, I don't know what to say!
    Probably mid-90s.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Come on? You really need to ask that question. Of course the batting order can be changed based on the match situation.
    Not the order, but the order of openers when they're on pitch and they see the bowler starting his over.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably mid-90s.
    You never noticed teams changing their batting order in the middle of a match?

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    You never noticed teams changing their batting order in the middle of a match?
    I did. But never saw openers exchanging positions or calling in a different opening bowler for a specific opening batsman.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did. But never saw openers exchanging positions or calling in a different opening bowler for a specific opening batsman.
    No one changed their batting position. Rohit always wants to bat at 2 except when he was with Dhawan as Dhawan said to him that he will never bat 1st . As kl Rahul replaced Dhawan Rahul batted at 1st in all innings.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pk716 View Post
    No one changed their batting position. Rohit always wants to bat at 2 except when he was with Dhawan as Dhawan said to him that he will never bat 1st . As kl Rahul replaced Dhawan Rahul batted at 1st in all innings.
    True, but I wonder if he could do it intentionally.