Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    106,757
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

    Jofra Archer says 'not to expect miracles' ahead of likely Ashes debut for England

    Jofra Archer has told England fans "not to expect miracles" if he makes his Test debut at Lord's - but has warned Australia that red-ball cricket is his favourite format.

    The seamer is poised to make his Test bow in place of the injured James Anderson as England look to draw level in the series following their 251-run thumping at Edgbaston last week.

    Archer has made his name in white-ball cricket, including when he helped his country win the World Cup at Lord's last month, but insists he is more used to the longer form.

    "Don't expect any miracles - I can only come in and do what I can and give my best. I can't work miracles but I will try to!" the 24-year-old told reporters on Tuesday.

    "I've played a lot more red-ball cricket than white-ball cricket and I think it is my preferred format. I believe in Test cricket you get more opportunity to redeem yourself.

    "In 50 overs, it's 10 overs [for a bowler] and that's it. You have ample chances do it in red-ball games.

    "Test cricket is pretty much the same as first-class - know what your strengths are and stick to them."

    He had a day - days - out at Edgbaston but Lord's is a bit different so hopefully one can do a bit more coming down the slope and he gets out for 90 runs less!
    Jofra Archer on Steve Smith

    Archer sat out the first Test after picking up a side strain during the World Cup but impressed playing for Sussex's second XI last week, with a six-wicket haul and a century.

    "I am probably more ready than I have ever been - I bowled 50 overs in one game for Sussex which I think was past the overs they told me to bowl! It was good practice.

    [My fitness] has never been better. [My side strain] just needed to settle and we couldn't get that gap in the World Cup, After that, it settled in a matter of days.

    "It was also nice to get time in the middle. In the World Cup I got six to 10 balls max every innings so it was nice to hit a few."

    Looking ahead to a possible Test debut at the venue where England won the World Cup, Archer added: "To be at Lord's, a ground where I have had recent success will be comforting.

    "It looks a bit different with all the World Cup boards down but hopefully we can keep our winning ways. It's a good thing most of the guys in the Test team were part of that."

    https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...edium=referral


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    106,757
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    To be honest, Archer will probably be the difference between 2 sides but whether he can bowl with same intensity for 2 innings is what needs to be seen


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do feel for Archer. He's gonna play his first test and there's gonna be so much expectation for him to have a massive impact. Even if he has a decent performance, people will still be disappointed since the England camp feel he's the messiah who's gonna change their fortunes completely in the series

  4. #4
    Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    3,585
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rains is forcasted this one looks like a draw.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    106,757
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Jofra Archer has told Australia coach Justin Langer he has "another thing coming" if he thinks the tourists can "wear down" the England pace bowler during the second Ashes Test.

    Archer is set to make his Test debut at Lord's having been part of England's World Cup-winning team.

    "We have to get him into second, third or fourth spells," said Langer.

    But Archer told BBC Sport: "I don't think Justin Langer has seen me play first-class cricket."

    "I usually bowl 40 overs every game," he added.

    The 24-year-old, part of the home side preparing for the start of the second Test on Wednesday, was born in Barbados to a British father and qualified to play for England in March.

    So far he has only played limited-overs international cricket and, globally, has built a reputation on his performances in Twenty20 leagues.

    "I'm really curious about how Archer is going to go," said coach Langer. "He's played one red-ball game in 11 months. He's a very skilled bowler and a great athlete. But Test cricket is very different to white-ball cricket."

    However, Sussex man Archer said first-class cricket is his preferred format of the game and believes he is better suited to bowling with a red ball than a white one.

    And, while most of his professional cricket has come in the T20 version of the game, Archer has played as many first-class games as he has List A matches - 28 apiece.

    In first-class cricket, he has taken 131 wickets at an average of 23.44.

    On being ready to play Test cricket, Archer said: "I'm probably more ready than I've ever been. I've bowled 50 overs in one game already for Sussex and I'm usually the one bowling the most overs anyway."

    Archer was not considered for selection in the first Test as he came back from a side injury, but did appear as a sub fielder in England's heavy first Test defeat at Edgbaston.

    He now looks set to take the place of the injured James Anderson and confirmed that he is "100% fit".

    Archer regularly bowls in excess of 90mph and will bring much-needed pace to the England attack.

    Still, even though he was trusted to bowl the super over in the dramatic World Cup final win over New Zealand on 14 July, he was keen to play down expectations as he enters Test cricket.

    "Don't expect any miracles," said Archer. "Hopefully I'm going to make my debut sooner rather than later and I'll come in and do what I can.

    "I can't work miracles - I'll try to but I don't think that's how it might pan out. I'll try my best and I can only give my best."

    https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49322960


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  6. #6
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    106,757
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Jofra Archer has told Australia coach Justin Langer he has "another thing coming" if he thinks the tourists can "wear down" the England pace bowler during the second Ashes Test.

    Archer is set to make his Test debut at Lord's having been part of England's World Cup-winning team.

    "We have to get him into second, third or fourth spells," said Langer.

    But Archer told BBC Sport: "I don't think Justin Langer has seen me play first-class cricket."

    "I usually bowl 40 overs every game," he added.

    The 24-year-old, part of the home side preparing for the start of the second Test on Wednesday, was born in Barbados to a British father and qualified to play for England in March.

    So far he has only played limited-overs international cricket and, globally, has built a reputation on his performances in Twenty20 leagues.

    "I'm really curious about how Archer is going to go," said coach Langer. "He's played one red-ball game in 11 months. He's a very skilled bowler and a great athlete. But Test cricket is very different to white-ball cricket."

    However, Sussex man Archer said first-class cricket is his preferred format of the game and believes he is better suited to bowling with a red ball than a white one.

    And, while most of his professional cricket has come in the T20 version of the game, Archer has played as many first-class games as he has List A matches - 28 apiece.

    In first-class cricket, he has taken 131 wickets at an average of 23.44.

    On being ready to play Test cricket, Archer said: "I'm probably more ready than I've ever been. I've bowled 50 overs in one game already for Sussex and I'm usually the one bowling the most overs anyway."

    Archer was not considered for selection in the first Test as he came back from a side injury, but did appear as a sub fielder in England's heavy first Test defeat at Edgbaston.

    He now looks set to take the place of the injured James Anderson and confirmed that he is "100% fit".

    Archer regularly bowls in excess of 90mph and will bring much-needed pace to the England attack.

    Still, even though he was trusted to bowl the super over in the dramatic World Cup final win over New Zealand on 14 July, he was keen to play down expectations as he enters Test cricket.

    "Don't expect any miracles," said Archer. "Hopefully I'm going to make my debut sooner rather than later and I'll come in and do what I can.

    "I can't work miracles - I'll try to but I don't think that's how it might pan out. I'll try my best and I can only give my best."

    https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49322960
    super confident Archer - will put him under pressure to perform.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  7. #7
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    6,607
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm expecting "miracles"


    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

  8. #8
    Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    3,585
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im really looking forward to watchin him bowl, last wicket here was really poor.

    Now alot of rain expected throughout the match cant see it competitive. Dull Draw looking likely..

  9. #9
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    26,168
    Mentioned
    854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed_99 View Post
    I do feel for Archer. He's gonna play his first test and there's gonna be so much expectation for him to have a massive impact. Even if he has a decent performance, people will still be disappointed since the England camp feel he's the messiah who's gonna change their fortunes completely in the series
    Do they?

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Do they?
    A bit of an exaggeration obviously but the English media have hyped him up a lot in red ball cricket based on his ODI performances. I hope he perfoms well but don't like that everyone is putting so much pressure on him. Just let the kid go out there and bowl his best without hyping him up so much

  11. #11
    Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    3,585
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed_99 View Post
    A bit of an exaggeration obviously but the English media have hyped him up a lot in red ball cricket based on his ODI performances. I hope he perfoms well but don't like that everyone is putting so much pressure on him. Just let the kid go out there and bowl his best without hyping him up so much
    He has done well in the longer version of the game domestically. Hes good.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic_Inzi View Post
    He has done well in the longer version of the game domestically. Hes good.
    Not denying that he's got good numbers but there's a big difference between first class cricket and a debut test in the Ashes. I'm sure he'll be successful though since he seems like he can handle pressure very well. Just don't want undue pressure on his shoulders

  13. #13
    Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    3,585
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed_99 View Post
    Not denying that he's got good numbers but there's a big difference between first class cricket and a debut test in the Ashes. I'm sure he'll be successful though since he seems like he can handle pressure very well. Just don't want undue pressure on his shoulders
    Well if Anderson was fit he wouldnt be playing so he has nothing to lose.

    Like i said they can experiment has expecting rain throughout the match so looking like a certain draw...

  14. #14
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    32,708
    Mentioned
    1094 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I think what we all want to know is...has he tweeted about this ?

  15. #15
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    32,629
    Mentioned
    1504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    I think what we all want to know is...has he tweeted about this ?
    Indeed, he has.

    Maybe in the past as well



    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  16. #16
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    10,562
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He did very well in the WC.

    Test cricket is a different ball-game altogether. But he can come good here as well. One should not conclude things up on one match though.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    5,185
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he stays fit, could be Englandís first fast-bowing star since Flintoff.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    423
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jofra is coming. And he is bringing the fire with him!!

  19. #19
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    26,168
    Mentioned
    854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed_99 View Post
    A bit of an exaggeration obviously but the English media have hyped him up a lot in red ball cricket based on his ODI performances. I hope he perfoms well but don't like that everyone is putting so much pressure on him. Just let the kid go out there and bowl his best without hyping him up so much
    Ah, you meant the press camp, I thought you meant the ECB.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    26,168
    Mentioned
    854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    If he stays fit, could be England’s first fast-bowing star since Flintoff.

    Potentially better than Flintoff who averaged the wrong side of 30 and only ever took three test fivefers. There were really only a couple of years where he was a serious wicket taker.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    5,185
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Potentially better than Flintoff who averaged the wrong side of 30 and only ever took three test fivefers. There were really only a couple of years where he was a serious wicket taker.
    Flintoffís action put massive stress on his back.

    Itís no surprise that his body broke down.


    "Preventive war is like committing suicide for fear of death" ~ Otto Von Bismarck

  22. #22
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    863
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eagerly waiting for his debut. If he succeeds, we can create fab4 thread for fast bowlers

  23. #23
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    106,757
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    England must not put too much pressure on Jofra Archer as they aim to level the Ashes series this week, says assistant coach Paul Collingwood.

    The fast bowler is set to make his Test debut against Australia in the second Test starting at Lord's on Wednesday.

    Archer starred in England's World Cup win but Collingwood says England "cannot just rely" on the 24-year-old.

    "We can't say 'look Jofra, you are coming in to answer all the questions Australia are asking'," he said.

    Australia won't wear me down - Archer
    England were beaten by 251 runs by Australia in the first Test at Edgbaston last week with Barbados-born Archer left out with a side injury.

    Despite building his reputation in Twenty20 leagues, Archer is expected to add greater threat to England's bowling attack at Lord's as a bowler who can bowl regularly over 90mph, unlike England's attack in Birmingham.

    "He is going to add what we have already," Collingwood told the Tuffers & Vaughan Show on BBC Radio 5 Live.

    "We have got a very good seam attack and he gives us different options.

    "He does have the confidence and X-factor about him but I don't want the team to rely on a young lad coming in and expecting him to beat the Aussies. It doesn't work like that."

    Former England captain Michael Vaughan said he expects Archer to "have an impact" at Lord's if he is given his debut.

    "If he has a bad first spell I don't think it affect him," Vaughan said. "He has that kind of mentality.

    "I am led to believe he has already told the selectors he wants [Sussex team-mate] Chris Jordan to present his cap.

    "If that happens on Wednesday morning, this guy has got something about him that we probably haven't seen in England team ever.

    "He has got this character that is so relaxed and chilled that is great to be around."

    Former England spinner Phil Tufnell said Archer had been a "revelation" in white-ball cricket for England but will find the challenge different when playing the longest form of the game for the first time.

    "You are bowling unit and you have all got to stick together and all contribute," Tufnell said.

    "In one-day cricket you can have explosive spells or three overs at death when you can really make a difference but it will be interesting to see how he settles into Test match lines and lengths and disciplines.

    "If anyone can, he can."

    https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49326395


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    To be honest, Archer will probably be the difference between 2 sides but whether he can bowl with same intensity for 2 innings is what needs to be seen
    Why do you say that?

    I don't think Archer is better than Broad, Anderson, or Woakes. IMHO he's at best the equal of Wood, but the high expectations could hurt him.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    30,377
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The English media and captain are putting too much pressure on Archer in his 1st test. It could take time for him to adjust to test cricket so they need to tone down their expectations. Also they need to improve their batting to have any chances of winning The Ashes.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s going to rain all day tomorrow (Day 1) and most of days 3&4.
    Going to need some real heroics to get a result in this game. Not sure how many overs Archer will even get in

  27. #27
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    2,163
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jofra is correct. Jofra is a great bowler but he is not unplayable. Aussies know what it takes to handle pace bowlers.


    BANGLADESH FAN
    RAPTORS FAN
    LIVERPOOL FAN

  28. #28
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    106,757
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Given rain around and a shortened game, this maybe the ideal way for Archer to get into Tests


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  29. #29
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    26,168
    Mentioned
    854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    Flintoffís action put massive stress on his back.

    Itís no surprise that his body broke down.
    Lots of right shoulder, and he put strain on his right ankle too, which also messed up his batting after 2005.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    863
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gets his first test wicket.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    863
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hitting 90 mph regularly

  32. #32
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    106,757
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiderreddy View Post
    Hitting 90 mph regularly
    Already making an impact - The World of Test cricket has a potential new bowling star


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  33. #33
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    106,757
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)


    .


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    5,299
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post


    .
    Thatís a nasty blow.

    I guess it hit the same spot where Phil Hughes got hit...

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    178
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post


    .
    I am surprised Steve Smith is fine, could have easily been another incident like Philip Hughes...

  36. #36
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    106,757
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Knocking people over like nine-pins- this guy is SUPER Quick!


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •