User Tag List

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should more multinational tournaments be played and less bilateral ODIs series held?

We are getting bored of watching useless bilateral odis.
    Share your thoughts
    @MMHS @Mamoon
    @Bhaag Viru Bhaag @ABFan @RedwoodOriginal @big_gamer007
    Last edited by andy0204; 12th August 2019 at 20:33.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ICC have cut down bilaterals to 3 ODIs but I think ideally tri-series or quadrangular series would be much better and much more exciting as compared to these meaningless bilaterals

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is really no point in playing these meaning less games.
    Should have an international league where each team plays five games at and away.

For league cup or something meaningful

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One problem with tri/quad series was depending on the location matches were not being sold out. Also could be a lot of dead rubbers aswell where the the finalists were decided quite early on.

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously.
    Bilateral series are dead.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Yes, bilaterals are essentially friendlies. JAMODIs have never meant less.

It's all about championships these days, winning some random series against WI is not something anyone will remember in a years time.
    Last edited by Aman; 13th August 2019 at 05:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think bilateral ODI's have to stay. This is a major source of income for the boards. Especially non Big3. The tri-series I am afraid is pretty much dead. Usually the games not involving home team is loss making proposition. This eats into the revenues of the hosting board.

The revenues from the bilateral ODI's are a major reason the props up the one and two test "series" that the non Big3 play.

Having said that, if the tri-series involves BCCI/India, then all things change.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bilaterals don't mean much, but they still have to be played and we can't have tournaments all the time as it takes away the prestige

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever happened to the tri-series that used to be played in Sharjah, Australia and England? I still have no idea why the ICC/national boards decided to terminate these.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We need tri and quad series. Now a days tri series are very rare and quad doesn't exist.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    729 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Uh?

So if you have a tournament every few months or every year, nobody will take it seriously.

All charm lost.

And how will you prepare for the tournaments? Bilaterals do that.

How will you test new players?

How will you build players?

Build the game and the audience?

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post
    Whatever happened to the tri-series that used to be played in Sharjah, Australia and England? I still have no idea why the ICC/national boards decided to terminate these.
    If my memory serves me right, the Sharjah tournaments died the moment BCCI stopped participation.

The Aus, Eng ones were stopped due to losses on non host games and dwindling interest in ODI's.
    Last edited by USofA; 13th August 2019 at 22:49.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARK Rafay View Post
    We need tri and quad series. Now a days tri series are very rare and quad doesn't exist.
    These are equally meaningless...…

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bilateral games are like friendly soccer games. These games allow teams to figure out the right teams for big events.

I think that bilateral games are necessary and not all bilateral games are boring.

BANGLADESH FAN
    RAPTORS FAN
    LIVERPOOL FAN

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2038 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andy0204 View Post
    Share your thoughts
    @MMHS @Mamoon
    Honestly speaking, I don't watch bilateral ODI's any more these days - even didn't bother to follow the SRL-BD Series.

I think, Tournaments were always more exciting, but these days game has been too commercialized - no one wants to host games which doesn't feature home team (In a triangular, you'll have at least 33% games where neutral teams will be playing; it goes to 50% & 60% in case of quadrangular or pentangular).

One major loss for ODI cricket was the fadeaway of UAE (Sharjah) as host - it was a fantastic venue for such tournaments in past. Also, Bangladesh & Kenya had hosted few such tournaments where home interest/expectation was very low (fans followed other teams mostly) - Kenya has diminished as a cricket nation while now in BD, we have a team to follow & expect, hence say a SRL-WIN or NZ-SAF game won't draw much attention.

BUT, a major killer for such tournament is the relationship between BCCI-PCB and the downfall of PCT compared to ICT. I started watching cricket when every years there were two such tournaments almost guaranteed in UAE with PAK a common team and most times two of IND, WIN (a very good WIN), SRL making the tringle. It's still possible to arrange exciting and financially profitable tournaments with guaranteed 3-4 IND-PAK games, and put BD in the mix as well, but that's not happening in current context. I think, 1999 WSC was probably the most watched and attended triangular tournament ever and those 4 IND-PAK games were absolute sell-out - it can happen again.

I think, BCB is planning to arrange few such tournaments, but unless we can bring IND, PAK - don't think this effort will last long; eventually BCB will move back to 5 ODIs against touring team (or 3+3 against touring 2 teams) where Bangladesh is one side for every game.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Uh?

So if you have a tournament every few months or every year, nobody will take it seriously.

All charm lost.

And how will you prepare for the tournaments? Bilaterals do that.

How will you test new players?

How will you build players?

Build the game and the audience?
    iam not saying that tournaments should be there every month or year,iam saying why they are not playing in these days?,i remember in my childhood days there were sharjah cup,benson hedges trophy,where are those kind of tournaments now?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Even Tri Series may have more excitement then bilaterals.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's difficult to schedule considering that they play 3 t20s as well during a bilateral series. Also matches without the home team don't attract audiences.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    It's difficult to schedule considering that they play 3 t20s as well during a bilateral series. Also matches without the home team don't attract audiences.
    You could do tri series across two countries e.g. India, Aus and NZ played in Aus and NZ.

We played a T20 tri series like that involving NZ, Aus and England across NZ and Aus a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andy0204 View Post
    Share your thoughts
    @MMHS @Mamoon
    I don't like or watch bilateral series. It's boring and waste of time for me. Would rather do something else with that time.

I can understand why bilaterals are important for boards, they earn good money and can be used to infuse fresh blood in the team.

Honestly speaking, I would prefer Tri series or Quadrangular series atleast couple of times a year. The ones in Sharjah in 90s were fun.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USofA View Post
    If my memory serves me right, the Sharjah tournaments died the moment BCCI stopped participation.

The Aus, Eng ones were stopped due to losses on non host games and dwindling interest in ODI's.
    Looking at it now (really brief research) it was mainly due to the specter of match fixing, which surfaced under the Sharjah brand repeatedly throughout the Qayyum report. How much truth there is to it is not known. It ended up staining the tournament, rather than the lack of India (Pakistan were a bigger draw in hose days anyway).

As for the national tri-series that used to take place, I think you're right, a series in England would have seen dwindling sales for matches not containing England, but it would make sense to hold it in the modern environment where matches for Aus, Pak and Ind are sold out. You can even add Bang and NZ to that bracket in some cases.

I think the ICCs need to control revenue led to the death of a lot of these smaller tournaments and the inclusion of the CT and now world T20s has taken away from the return of a tournament like Sharjah (corruption or not, as ICC tournaments have had similar problems).

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    You could do tri series across two countries e.g. India, Aus and NZ played in Aus and NZ.

We played a T20 tri series like that involving NZ, Aus and England across NZ and Aus a few years back.
    Can't do that for Tri series unless both hosts are involved . Also you can't go that if you want it in England or SA or the Caribbean or even in Pakistan since India PAK cricketing ties are dead.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All bilaterals are boring only for neutral fans
    I bet if Pakistan playing now with anybody you guys will not be complaining

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bilateral ODIs are dying fast. ODI needs tri series t or multi nation tournaments like Asia Cup to stay relevant.

We have 10 months of T20, T20I, T20 WC, ODI WC to watch. Most nations regularly bench their best players for bilateral ODIs. I didn't even both to check Ind-WI scorecard, just saw Kohli's 2 tons and was like 'meh'.