Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

James Pattinson benched for 2nd Ashes Test as Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc vie for a spot

London - Australia have left pace bowler James Pattinson out of their 12-man squad for the second Ashes Test against England, with Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood vying for recalls.

Pattinson was part of the team that won by 251 runs at Edgbaston, taking two wickets in his first Test in three years.

But the 29-year-old will sit out at Lord's, leaving Starc and Hazlewood to push their cases.

Australia squad for second Ashes Test:

Tim Paine (captain & wicketkeeper), David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Matthew Wade, Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/As...s-out-20190813

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he was decent in the first test but aus will use a rotational policy on quicks.

The 2nd test looks like it will be ruined by weather. Draw being the most likely. Why start on a wednesday?

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move by Aus by resting him especially with his track record and having played his first test after a few years will need to be monitored closely.

Both Starc and Hazlewood should play at Lords with Khawaja opening with Warner and Smith at 3.

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewana Mastana View Post
    Good move by Aus by resting him especially with his track record and having played his first test after a few years will need to be monitored closely.

Both Starc and Hazlewood should play at Lords with Khawaja opening with Warner and Smith at 3.
    Why change the batting line up?

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic_Inzi View Post
    Why change the batting line up?
    Smith is better at 3, if you see I changed it and would take out Bancroft and fit in both Josh and Starc in the XI at Lords.

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smith is better at 3, if you see I changed it and would take out Bancroft and fit in both Josh and Starc in the XI at Lords.
    But he scored 280 runs batting at 4, also they will lose a batter if bancroft is dropped.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But he scored 280 runs batting at 4, also they will lose a batter if bancroft is dropped.
    I doubt they will play both anyway but if they do that is the only way it could be unless they drop Siddle but do not think so as he is the one who can bowl long spells.

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt they will play both anyway but if they do that is the only way it could be unless they drop Siddle but do not think so as he is the one who can bowl long spells.
    I think they will go with 3 quicks and lyon. They need extra batter, eng are lucky they have stokes.

I was looking forward to a good test but it appears the weather will ruin it.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they will go with 3 quicks and lyon. They need extra batter, eng are lucky they have stokes.

I was looking forward to a good test but it appears the weather will ruin it.
    Possibly as I said there too but if they do take the punt and go with what I said then it could be interesting as you do not want to put too much on Hazlewood and Starc either who are coming at the back of lay offs as well.

Weather will play a part too as you said so.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

1. We couldn't do any worse with that opening combination, and moving Smith up won't make a difference.
    2. Starc and Hazlewood will be fresh, and it's worth giving both of them the opportunity on the big stage at Lord's to see what they've got.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is absolutely no reason and no chance you move Smith after back to back hundreds.

Teams are willing to chop & change bowlers. But good teams don't tinker with the batting order every single match.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    There is absolutely no reason and no chance you move Smith after back to back hundreds.

Teams are willing to chop & change bowlers. But good teams don't tinker with the batting order every single match.
    Does it make any difference whether he comes in at 0/0, 1/5, 2/5, or 3/5?

AFAIC...place him wherever he wants to be in the order. If he fails, we're screwed regardless.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Probably wise to rest Pattinson with back to back tests. Australia will want to keep him fit now. Starc will play in my opinion. I think Hazelwood can do Siddles but has more bounce. Starc gives them a different option and is also a left armer.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aussies should go with both Hazlewood and Starc and try to go for 2-0.

If Aussies can make it 2-0, they should win the Ashes.

BANGLADESH FAN
    RAPTORS FAN
    LIVERPOOL FAN

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This rotation policy can work really well for Aus. It ensures that their bowlers are not overworked. Patttinson in particular is someone who can breakdown at any moment. So managing him is the right call. This rotation method though works because of the strength in depth they have. Other teams don't have that luxury.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hazelwood , if fully fit, should replace pattinson. Australia's strategy was to bowl tight and give nothing to the English bowlers. Starc is a bit too loose and will give away boundaries.