User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Indian coach probables: T Moody, M Hesson, P Simmons, Lalchand Rajput, Ravi Shastri, Robin Singh

Team India’s next coach will be chosen from group of six shortlisted men: the incumbent, Ravi Shastri, as well as Tom Moody, Mike Hesson, Phil Simmons, Lalchand Rajput, and Robin Singh. The newly appointed BCCI’s Cricket Advisory Committee, headed by Kapil Dev, will convene in Mumbai to conduct the interviews before making their decision.

Here we take a look at the all shortlisted candidates:

Tom Moody

The Australian has rich coaching experience and his pedigree makes him one of the favourites to bag the job. He has earlier coached Sri Lanka and has experience in Indian cricket as he was the head coach of Kings XI Punjab and Sunrisers Hyderabad in the IPL. Also, he the tournament in charge of Caribbean Premier League and has had coaching stints in Bangladesh Premier League as well as in Pakistan Super League.

Mike Hesson

The diminutive Mike Hesson forged a brilliant partnership with Brendon McCullum and New Zealand cricket prospered under this duo. Under Hesson, New Zealand became an irrepressible Test unit in home conditions and also adopted a very dynamic brand of cricket which saw them gallop their way to the World Cup finals in 2015.

Also, Hesson was appointed coach of Kings XI Punjab for Indian Premier League in 2019. He resigned from this post earlier this month in order to make himself available for this role.

Phil Simmons

One of the dark horses in this race, former West Indies opener, Phil Simmons was the head coach of Afghanistan in the just-concluded World Cup. Previously, he has coached West Indies, a side which went on to win World T20 in 2016 and also had a stint as the head coach of Ireland.

Robin Singh

Former Indian all-rounder Robin Singh is now an experienced coach. He began his coaching career immediately after hanging his boots from international cricket and was in charge of the India Under-19 side. In 2006, he was appointed coach of India A where he worked with cricketers like Robin Uthappa and Gautam Gambhir.

Following this, he was appointed fielding coach of the Indian team and was part of the management when India lifted the inaugural World T20 in 2007.

Also, he was appointed head coach of the now-defunct IPL franchise Deccan Chargers. He was then appointed head coach of Mumbai Indians in 2010 and currently, is the fielding coach of the franchise.

He then coached the Khulna Division cricket team in the Bangladesh Premier League and Uva cricket team of the Sri Lanka Premier League.

The all-rounder took over the mantle of Barbados Tridents in the Caribbean Premier League. He has also expressed interest in the role of India’s head coach and could be one of the favourites.

Lalchand Rajput

A former opening batsman for Mumbai Lalchand Rajput was coach of Under-19 Indian Cricket Team during the tour of England. Also, he was the manager of a young Indian side which won the World T20 in South Africa back in 2007.

Rajput was then appointed head coach of Mumbai Indians in its first season and then got his big break when he was named head coach of Afghanistan’s national team, replacing Pakistan’s Inzamam ul Haq.

After his contract was terminated by Afghanistan cricket board, he was named head coach of Zimbabwe in May 2018. Currently, he was the head coach of Winnipeg Hawks franchise team for the 2019 Global T20 Canada tournament.

Ravi Shastri

The incumbent Ravi Shastri got the backing of Team India captain Virat Kohli to continue as the head coach. The Indian team has had mixed results under the Kohli-Shastri partnership.

He has been associated as interim coach and manager of the side previously too and was appointed head coach of the Indian team in 2017 by the Cricket Advisory Committee which comprised Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman.

Under Shastri, India have not won any significant trophy and barring the series win in Australia, the team struggled in Test matches in South Africa and England and was also ousted from the 2019 World Cup when they lost to New Zealand.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...cmKC51jjN.html

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    What are the chances of Shastri being retained?

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It should be Tom Moody but knowing Kohli he will ask for Ravi Shastri again.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    It should be Tom Moody but knowing Kohli he will ask for Ravi Shastri again.
    I think he already said in press conference that he would like to see ravi being coach again.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    I think he already said in press conference that he would like to see ravi being coach again.
    Yeah why not. He is acting as if India won CT and World Cup for India under his captaincy. He and Shastri have got enough chances. It's time for a new captain and coaching staff now.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is going to be Moody or Hesson.

There is a slim chance of Shastri being retained.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tom Moody would be a excellent appointment and would work well with Kohli.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I am almost certain itíll be Shastri. Itís a call between local or foreign coach and I believe bcci leadership nowadays will go for a coach ďmake in IndiaĒ.

Also, Shastri is in good book of Kohli, he has the back-up of Mumbai circle, his team is performing (IND missed WC for 1 bad day, but still itís top Test team, among top 2-3 ODI, T20 team) and senior players are happy with him. I think, bcci is going through the process, just to make sure that there is no controversy- Shastri has bagged the extension.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    I am almost certain itíll be Shastri. Itís a call between local or foreign coach and I believe bcci leadership nowadays will go for a coach ďmake in IndiaĒ.

Also, Shastri is in good book of Kohli, he has the back-up of Mumbai circle, his team is performing (IND missed WC for 1 bad day, but still itís top Test team, among top 2-3 ODI, T20 team) and senior players are happy with him. I think, bcci is going through the process, just to make sure that there is no controversy- Shastri has bagged the extension.
    This is very bad news for the Indian team if true. We need either hesson or moody to take this team to the next level. Ideally both a new captain and new coach.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they’ll go with Shastri again.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly Happy Aug 14th independance day celebrations to our Pak bros....
    I hope it will be Moody.....I definately donot want Shastri....
    Whatever they do, i hope they get Craig McDermot as our pace bowling coach....He is the silent mover and the guy behind the renaissance of the current crop of aus quicks, his coaching have set up several like Pattinson, starc, hazle, cummins, NCN, etc....I just feel umesh yadav is going to go down as one of the biggest wastes of talents much like sreesanth(albeit for different reasons), and also l Siva in the 90's...i hope we donot waste another diamond talented paceman and this is only possible when we have a fab pacebowling coach and a real change to our mindset, psyche, culture and offcourse our pathetic pitches

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post

Tere mooh main ghee shakkar

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I prefer Moody.

Indian coach means groupism and biased selections.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Tere mooh main ghee shakkar
    Letís see.

Iíd love to see Moody/Hesson coach Pakistan.

Wouldnít mind if one of them comes to us if they get rejected in India.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Team India’s next head coach to be announced on August 16: Report

According to various reports, the announcement for next Team India coach will come a day after Independence Day on August 16 . India’s next coach will be chosen from group of six shortlisted men: the incumbent, Ravi Shastri, as well as Tom Moody, Mike Hesson, Phil Simmons, Lalchand Rajput, and Robin Singh. The newly appointed BCCI’s Cricket Advisory Committee, headed by Kapil Dev, will convene in Mumbai to conduct the interviews before making their decision. According to a report published by New Indian Express, the interviews will be held in Mumbai on August 16 and the announcement will be made on the same day.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...5hEaWXRBK.html

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post

You clearly underestimate how much the COA sucks up to kohli. They don't have the balls to pick someone else, gaikwad who is one of the 3 CAC members, openly backed shastri. Shastri is safe until the CoA head the bcci.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    With the glamor, money the bcci has I expected better candidates to be honest

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Team India coach will be announced at 7 pm IST today

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be hilarious if it's not Shastri.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    I think it will be Shastri or Moody.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Like who? Hesson and Moody are top coaches.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I am 99.99% sure it will be shastri. The 0.01% is due to hope

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Like? These are the best available coaches right now, who know they have a chance.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hesson will be more keen to be India's coach than Pakistan's.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Professionalism and honesty are the difference between India and Pakistan.
    India is looking for one of world's best coach where we are about to give a selfish former player (Misbah) as coaching role who is always against young players and doesn't have any coaching experience to back his claim.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Mike Hesson, former coach of New Zealand and the Indian Premier League (IPL) side Kings XI Punjab, on Friday said that he is “unsure” about getting the head coach job with the Indian cricket team.

Hesson, who was one of the six shortlisted candidates for the interviews of the position, appeared for before the Kapil Dev-led Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) in Mumbai for the interview.

While Ravi Shastri, the current India head coach, is tipped to retain his role, Hesson, Tom Moody, Lalchand Rajput, Robin Singh, Phil Simmons were in contention for the role. Simmons, though, pulled out of the race on the day of the interviews, making it a five-man battle.

“I am unsure. They are making a decision this afternoon. You guys will hear about the decision the same time I will,” Hesson, who was the coach of New Zealand when they reached the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup final, was quoted as saying by ANI after his interview for the position of Indian cricket team’s head coach.

While Moody appeared for the interview via Skype, Shastri, who is currently in West Indies, is expected to be interviewed via video conference on 5 pm IST.

ALSO READ: India’s next coach: Six interviews underway, Ravi Shastri frontrunner, CAC to announce coach after 7pm today

It is also reported that whoever gets the role, will be handed a contract till 2021 ICC Cricket World Twenty20.

“The head coach will be at the helm of affairs till the 2021 World T20 and after that it will be a process of re-appointment or selection of a new coach as has been the trend in recent years. The support staff will also be handed contracts till the World T20 as continuity is very important considering the big ticket events that are lined up over the next couple of years,” a BCCI functionary was quoted as saying by IANS

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...-mumbai-880606

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say Hesson and Shastri will be the strongest candidates out of the 5.

Shastri on the basis that he has backing from majority of the current playing team and especially with Kohli already airing his strong support for him makes it more strong for him to be retained.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shastri it is.