Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When is the curfew in Indian-occupied Kashmir going to end?

It has been 12 days and counting but the fascist government of Modi has not lifted the curfew on people of Kashmir. By this point most people would have run out of food supplies. Only God knows how are they surviving.

Think about the people who need medicines or need to see doctors. Think about the old and destitute. Think about the daily wage earners and their economic condition.

Pathetic by India.
    Last edited by MenInG; 18th August 2019 at 09:28.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    curfew partially lifted , landlines r working , 2G internet is back, schools to reopen from tommorow in Jammu , so will take another 7 to 10 days to restore completely..

Indian govt. doesn't want much pellet injuries or any deaths (god forbid) hence it is taking time to lift curfew but don't worry there won't be much pellet injuries or deaths (bhagwaan ki krupa sey) than in 2015 (remember burhan wani death where there were many ppl on roads but not now)

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    778 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianHero View Post
    curfew partially lifted , landlines r working , 2G internet is back, schools to reopen from tommorow in Jammu , so will take another 7 to 10 days to restore completely..

Indian govt. doesn't want much pellet injuries or any deaths (god forbid) hence it is taking time to lift curfew but don't worry there won't be much pellet injuries or deaths (bhagwaan ki krupa sey) than in 2015 (remember burhan wani death where there were many ppl on roads but not now)
    It's easy to sit in your drawing room and asking people there to not worry. No one in 2019 can live without their phones or any means of communication. I would love to see how guys like you would react if you were put in a similar situation. My guess is you would explode after just half an hour and start abusing Modi govt.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Thanks. Is there any way of verifying this from non-Indian hero sources?

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    It's easy to sit in your drawing room and asking people there to not worry. No one in 2019 can live without their phones or any means of communication. I would love to see how guys like you would react if you were put in a similar situation. My guess is you would explode after just half an hour and start abusing Modi govt.

On a personal note, my father's village is from VZM, AP where even today there is no proper mobile signal (forget about internet), they use only common landlines available for like 5 to 6 houses. So, I am used living in these cases and I know its tough

As I said this blackout was done so that some people don't retort to violence & waste public resources... so do u mean to say that phones& internet r more valuable than people's life ??

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Thanks. Is there any way of verifying this from non-Indian hero sources?
    I don't know as a common man I have believe watever written in media like u .. that's wat they said in the media (in both indian media and pakistani media like dawn.com, tribune.com.pk)

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hearing that 2G has been snapped again. Also, when Wani died there was no curfew so a lot of people gathered. Here this is a curfew, you can't compare the two.
    You'll only find out about the real situation after the curfew is lifted.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    India reimposes movement curbs on parts of Kashmir's main city after clashes

SRINAGAR (Reuters) - Indian authorities reimposed restrictions on movement in major parts of Kashmir’s biggest city, Srinagar, on Sunday after violent overnight clashes between residents and police in which dozens were injured, two senior officials and eyewitnesses said.

In the past 24 hours, there has been a series of protests against New Delhi’s Aug. 5 revocation of the region’s autonomy. This followed an easing in curbs on movement on Saturday morning.

The state government has said that it has not imposed a curfew over the past two weeks, but on Sunday people were being turned back at multiple roadblocks set up in the city in the past few hours. Security forces at some roadblocks have told residents there is a curfew.

Two senior government officials told Reuters that at least two dozen people were admitted to hospitals with pellet injuries after violent clashes broke out in the old city on Saturday night.

Representatives in the Jammu and Kashmir government in Srinagar and the federal government in New Delhi did not immediately return calls asking about the latest clampdown or seeking an assessment of the number of injuries and clashes.

One of the official sources said that people pelted security forces with stones in around two dozen places across Srinagar. He said that the intensity of the stone pelting protests has increased over past few days.

CHILLY GRENADES

The heavy overnight clashes took place mostly in Rainawari, Nowhetta and Gojwara areas of the old city where Indian troops fired tear smoke, chilly grenades and pellets to disperse protesters, eyewitnesses and officials said.

Chilly grenades contain very spicy chili pepper, and produce a major eye and skin irritant, as well as a pungent smell, when they are unleashed.

The officials, who declined to be identified because they aren’t supposed to talk to the media, said clashes also took place in other parts of the city including Soura, a hotbed of protests in the past two weeks.

A senior government official and hospital authorities at Srinagar’s main hospital said that at least 17 people came there with pellet injuries. They said 12 were discharged while five with grievous injuries were admitted.

The hospital officials and a police officer told Reuters that a 65-year-old man, Mohammad Ayub of Braripora, was admitted to the hospital after he had major breathing difficulties when tear gas and chilly grenades were fired in old city area on Saturday afternoon. He died in the hospital on Saturday night and has already been buried, they said.

BLOCKING THE WAY

Javed Ahmad, age 35 and from the wealthy Rajbagh area of Srinagar, was prevented from going to the old city early Sunday morning by paramilitary police at a barricade near the city center. “I had to visit my parents there. Troops had blocked the road with concertina wire. They asked me to go back as there was curfew in the area,” he said.

Telephone landlines were restored in parts of the city on Saturday after a 12-day blackout and the state government said most telephone exchanges in the region would start working by Sunday evening. Internet and cell phones remain blocked in Kashmir.

More than 500 political or community leaders and activists remained in detention, and some have been flown to prisons outside the state.

For 30 years in the part of Kashmir that it controls, India has been fighting a revolt in which at least 50,000 people have been killed. Critics say the decision to revoke autonomy will cause further alienation and fuel the armed resistance.

The change will allow non-residents to buy property in Jammu and Kashmir, and end the practice of reserving state government jobs for local residents.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government has said the measure is necessary to integrate Kashmir fully into India and speed up its development.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKCN1V803V

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Abuse Modi but not little boy Rahul

"You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There was a poster in this forum by name of @Madplayer from IOK. Haven't heard from him since blackout started, I'm actually hoping for his safety and would like to have his account of past 12 days

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    It has been 12 days and counting but the fascist government of Modi has not lifted the curfew on people of Kashmir. By this point most people would have run out of food supplies. Only God knows how are they surviving.

Think about the people who need medicines or need to see doctors. Think about the old and destitute. Think about the daily wage earners and their economic condition.

Pathetic by India.
    AKA it's been 12 days and Pakistan has done zilch but tweet and vent to no avail.

Tch tch.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    AKA it's been 12 days and Pakistan has done zilch but tweet and vent to no avail.

Tch tch.
    The Indian Twitter characteristics are visible now from you.
    What do you think they can do in 12 days?
    They want to the UNSC, our FM is going places.
    You should be ashamed that your army is forcing people to be a part of your country when the majority don't even want to be and you're talking smack to us. The irony.

The worst thing is that you think this is a joke. You don't even care about the people. Just trying to hide all the embarrassment by calling al Jazeera, BBC, Reuters fake propaganda.
    Last edited by Icon; 18th August 2019 at 17:35.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Stockholm
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra_Cover View Post
    There was a poster in this forum by name of @Madplayer from IOK. Haven't heard from him since blackout started, I'm actually hoping for his safety and would like to have his account of past 12 days
    It will be something that Indian posters here wont like

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can't be lifted till ethnic cleansing has been completed. If they do there will be massive protests and the Indians know that. They need to keep the protests at a minimum to keep the UN at bay.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icon View Post
    What do you think they can do in 12 days?
    You have an army and air force for a reason. Use them.

They want to the UNSC, our FM is going places.
    The UNSC is a Dodo. The FM has been thwarted by Saudi Arabia and USA among other countries. It's all up to you now. You and you alone.

The worst thing is that you think this is a joke. You don't even care about the people.
    News Flash: I don't. I come from a state that is geographically the most distant from Kashmir - Tamil Nadu. Pretty sure them Kashmiris don't care about me either. It's a fair deal.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    778 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romali_rotti View Post
    Abuse Modi but not little boy Rahul
    Yeah because Rahul is the Prime Minister of India. Am I wrong Tandoori Rotti sahab?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    778 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The UNSC is a Dodo. The FM has been thwarted by Saudi Arabia and USA among other countries. It's all up to you now. You and you alone.

News Flash: I don't. I come from a state that is geographically the most distant from Kashmir - Tamil Nadu. Pretty sure them Kashmiris don't care about me either. It's a fair deal.
    I thought you were from Bengaluru?

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I thought you were from Bengaluru?
    If i am, I still don't care about Kashmir and vice versa.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also haven’t heard anything from @m.shah.

I just hope everyone is safe there.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    We also haven’t heard anything from @m.shah.

I just hope everyone is safe there.
    Yeah hope both these guys are ok

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1813 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    It will end when the govt will lift it. And that will be in phases.

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of these answers. Smh.

We're not living in 200BC where a country would attack another country just to get their land. The repercussions are big for initiating an attack. Also the loss of life is a big factor too.

So you don't care about the kashmiris but you want them to be a part of your country. But I see Indians asking for Baloch Independence even though they know S-all about them.

You wouldn't care if hundreds of kashmiris were killed?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tch tch.
    Enjoy the moment ... time will tell ...

The Griffins ....

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    So you don't care about the kashmiris but you want them to be a part of your country.
    Looks like you're new here. Please click through to read my opinion on this subject:

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...58#post9663358

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If i am, I still don't care about Kashmir and vice versa.
    You will care when when there are fireworks in Bangalore. For others it may be Mumbai or Delhi.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    You will care when when there are fireworks in Bangalore. For others it may be Mumbai or Delhi.
    Which is basically never. Not over that pointless slab of ice that is Kashmir anyway.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    716 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    If his account doesn’t match what their press have reported, he will be the liar. The insinuation that he couldn’t possibly know what happened because he was at home under curfew will surely be bandied about.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curfew will end once IOK is liberated

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
    Curfew will end once IOK is liberated
    Time to use some brains I'd say. India was able to pull the 1971 coup as a bunch of East Pakistanis came to India for refuge. India had no choice but to give official support and we all know the history. If the conditions are unbearable as people claim, encourage Kashmiris to March towards LOC and seek refuge in Pakistan. Considering how you really care about some of them Kashmiris, that would be tangible support. The UN drama and other dramas are just that, dramas. Kashmiris have actually matched towards LOC in 2008 I think. Encourage them do that again and maybe they can be given 4G in Muzaffarabad.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    Time to use some brains I'd say. India was able to pull the 1971 coup as a bunch of East Pakistanis came to India for refuge. India had no choice but to give official support and we all know the history. If the conditions are unbearable as people claim, encourage Kashmiris to March towards LOC and seek refuge in Pakistan. Considering how you really care about some of them Kashmiris, that would be tangible support. The UN drama and other dramas are just that, dramas. Kashmiris have actually matched towards LOC in 2008 I think. Encourage them do that again and maybe they can be given 4G in Muzaffarabad.
    Yes have them leave their land so Indians can settle in. Really that's your solution? Way to use your brain

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

All the fine talk about developing Kashmir for the local population sort of dies a death when it's inevitably followed by invitations for them to leave for Pakistan. But of course it is logical. How can the hindus move in unless someone moves out to make room for them?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yes have them leave their land so Indians can settle in. Really that's your solution? Way to use your brain
    I did use my brain as it already proved successful once. Is East Pakistan still part of Pakistan? There is no other way Pakistan can gain attention on this issue. Indians will not commit genocide as everybody is claiming and dreaming here. This is the final solution. And that solution is clamp down on separatism hard by isolating those select few. Make it expensive, very expensive for stone pelting and other violent activities.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    All the fine talk about developing Kashmir for the local population sort of dies a death when it's inevitably followed by invitations for them to leave for Pakistan. But of course it is logical. How can the hindus move in unless someone moves out to make room for them?
    Local population who wants to be part of the development will get their reward through prosperity. I'm talking about the few thousand out of the millions who resort to violence. They raise Pakistan flag, then those few should receive a grand welcome from Pakistan for their patriotism. I don't see any welcome from Pakistan. Wonder why?. Hindus can settle in Jammu too by the way. It's not about that.
    Last edited by rhony; 19th August 2019 at 01:00.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's logical isn't it? There is Kashmir in Pakistan too. So Kashmiris waving Pakistan flag will be more happy in AJK than in J&K. That's actual plebisite. Choose a select few and ask them where they want to be. Waving Pakistanis flags and sitting in their homes in India solves whose purpose exactly? Pakistan, the liberator of the oppressed should take these patriots and provide them 3G and shelter, food and accommodation. I'm sure Indians will consider this solution.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's logical isn't it? There is Kashmir in Pakistan too. So Kashmiris waving Pakistan flag will be more happy in AJK than in J&K. That's actual plebisite. Choose a select few and ask them where they want to be. Waving Pakistanis flags and sitting in their homes in India solves whose purpose exactly? Pakistan, the liberator of the oppressed should take these patriots and provide them 3G and shelter, food and accommodation. I'm sure Indians will consider this solution.
    Absolutely, glad you think plebiscite is
    a good option. In my opinion it's the only option, Kashmiris should have a say in their future. But why a select few? All Kashmiris should have a say. Please encourage your government to take this action as per their promises to the UN. Better late than never

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Absolutely, glad you think plebiscite is
    a good option. In my opinion it's the only option, Kashmiris should have a say in their future. But why a select few? All Kashmiris should have a say. Please encourage your government to take this action as per their promises to the UN. Better late than never
    The mini plebisite I was asking for doesn't have a requirement that Pak take it's army out of AJK and Gilgit. So it's possible. It's not preposterous as many of you think. Millions of Pakistanis, Kashmiris, Indians live abroad happily. They went there seeking happiness and for better prospects. If it's suffocating and if some people are Pakistani patriots, they should seek asylum from Pakistan and Pak should honor that. After all, everybody deserves happiness.
    Last edited by rhony; 19th August 2019 at 01:58.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mini plebisite I was asking for doesn't have a requirement that Pak take it's army out of AJK and Gilgit. So it's possible. It's not preposterous as many of you think. Millions of Pakistanis, Kashmiris, Indians live abroad happily. They went there seeking happiness and for better prospects. If it's suffocating and if some people are Pakistani patriots, they should seek asylum from Pakistan and Pak should honor that. After all, everybody deserves happiness.
    Yes, everyone deserves happiness but why are you forcing it down the Kashmiris throats. Give them the freedom to choose

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yes, everyone deserves happiness but why are you forcing it down the Kashmiris throats. Give them the freedom to choose
    I don't want them to be killed or blinded. I'm suggesting an alternative. Those patriots should show their face and not run away. It's good for them, for India and for Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are asking Modi or Amit, I think their answer would be whenever the terrorism ends. Is this a rhetorical question ?

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Blatant lies. Curfew has not been lifted. Only in certain areas it has been eased. These areas are Ladakh and certain places in Jammu.

Sua cuique voluptas.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is absurd. You want them to leave their ancestral land and move to a new place just because they want independence and freedom from oppression?

Sua cuique voluptas.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barkha dutt's channel on YouTube has been good source of info on the ground rather than propaganda on either side

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uberkoen View Post
    This is absurd. You want them to leave their ancestral land and move to a new place just because they want independence and freedom from oppression?
    The Punjabis from either side did this during partition. So did the Bengalis - twice.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Punjabis from either side did this during partition. So did the Bengalis - twice.
    and you're condoning that? The migration was a mess. Why would anyone want to repeat that

Sua cuique voluptas.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post

Pathetic by India.
    There are people who'd be writing really long essays on it if it was done by any other country.

Azaadi. InshAllah.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's just a few miles. It's still Kashmir

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Stockholm
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please stop posting here.Your place is in Times of India's cancerous comment page where there are many who agree with your pathetic mentality

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Kashmir schools re-open but students stay home

Some schools re-opened in Indian-administered Kashmir on Monday but few students turned up amid ongoing tensions over the Indian government's shock decision to strip the region of its special status two weeks ago.

A lockdown remains largely in place in the Muslim-majority Kashmir valley but authorities said they were re-opening nearly 200 primary schools in Srinagar, the largest city.

However, classrooms at schools visited by reporters mostly appeared empty. Parents said that they were worried about safety.

Despite the security clampdown in Kashmir, there have been frequent protests against the loss of special status and some have turned violent.

Kashmir is a Himalayan territory disputed by India and Pakistan. Each country controls part of the territory and the Indian-administered side - Jammu and Kashmir - has now been downgraded from a federal state and split into two union territories ruled by Delhi.

There has been a separatist insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir for three decades, with tens of thousands of people killed.

The government began partially restoring landline connectivity over the weekend, but mobile networks and the internet remained switched off as more protests were reported.

BBC correspondents report that many parents prefer to keep their children at home until mobile networks are restored.

The Reuters news agency quoted a teacher at one school as saying that students could not be expected to attend in such "volatile" conditions.

It added that a number of the schools supposed to open had been been locked or very lightly staffed.

Only government schools have re-opened, with private schools remaining closed, India's PTI news agency reports.

Officials said that they were trying to ascertain how many students had attended in total.

The communications blackout in the region has made reporting from Indian-administered Kashmir difficult.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has consistently defended the unilateral move to strip the region of its constitutional special status, saying that it was needed to facilitate economic development and improve security.

But Kashmiri political leaders and activists have characterised the decision as a betrayal and have voiced fury that it was implemented without any consultation with local leaders.

Well-known political leaders have been held in detention since the revocation of special status.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-49394618

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...oss-the-valley

India Keeps Kashmir in Lockdown as Anger Grows Across the Valley

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullycricket View Post
    Please stop posting here.Your place is in Times of India's cancerous comment page where there are many who agree with your pathetic mentality
    Millions of Somalis, Vietnamese escaped conflict and are in US. Why can't a few Pak flag waving Kashmiris do the same and seek Asylum in AJK? That's Kashmir too. Stop responding when you don't have a counter argument.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    and you're condoning that? The migration was a mess. Why would anyone want to repeat that
    Because ethnic cleansing is back in fashion. Supporters of such a solution are licking their lips already as you can see in this thread.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Stockholm
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Millions of Somalis, Vietnamese escaped conflict and are in US. Why can't a few Pak flag waving Kashmiris do the same and seek Asylum in AJK? That's Kashmir too. Stop responding when you don't have a counter argument.
    Few really...If they were few you wouldnt have to cage entire population.Your filthy mentality will not be able to comprehend this.In some of your posts I even saw you advocating Nazi type genocide.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Few really...If they were few you wouldnt have to cage entire population.Your filthy mentality will not be able to comprehend this.In some of your posts I even saw you advocating Nazi type genocide.
    Stop your fake posts. Show me one post where I advocated genocide. I always maintained people should be smart and should choose life. I even said it will ruin India if they go for a genocide and that's why it won't happen. There are millions who will be caught in the crossfire because of a few bad apples. It happened before. Little kids staying in houses getting injured with pellets or shooting. The curfiew is to weed out those criminals and protect innocent people.
    Last edited by rhony; 19th August 2019 at 21:13.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Stockholm
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop your fake posts. Show me one post where I advocated genocide. I always maintained people should be smart and should choose life. I even said it will ruin India if they go for a genocide and that's why it won't happen. There are millions who will be caught in the crossfire because of a few bad apples. It happened before. Little kids staying in houses getting injured with pellets or shooting. The curfiew is to weed out those criminals and protect innocent people.
    They are all held and will be trained to be good citizens and Muslims. Instead of one big concentration camp , it's several camps.
    What is this...For whom this concentration camps terms were used

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Read Uighurs...it's a satire. No one wants genocide.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you really this stupid or are you pretending? Imagine someone walking into your own house and kicking you out and then tell you why don't you live across the street there's an empty ground there. It's hardly a few meters away so it's not a big deal.

Sua cuique voluptas.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you really this stupid or are you pretending? Imagine someone walking into your own house and kicking you out and then tell you why don't you live across the street there's an empty ground there. It's hardly a few meters away so it's not a big deal.
    Sounds like how the Pandits would have felt back in the day. Well done for the reminder.

"You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like how the Pandits would have felt back in the day. Well done for the reminder.
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

Sua cuique voluptas.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    But I'm happy with my house. They are not. Apparently you aren't either. Here's why you and they aren't bright:
    You are.sitting under an apple tree but want a mango. You can see a mango tree a few miles away. Instead of going there and eating a mango, you are holding a picture of mango in your hand and destroying the apple tree that's giving you food and shelter. Now that's pretty stupid I would say. Either go there and eat a mango or learn to like them apples.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Two wrongs don't make a right.
    True.... Unfortunately Karma will follow, it's the law of the universe, what you put in is what you most likely will get back..

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But I'm happy with my house. They are not. Apparently you aren't either. Here's why you and they aren't bright:
    You are.sitting under an apple tree but want a mango. You can see a mango tree a few miles away. Instead of going there and eating a mango, you are holding a picture of mango in your hand and destroying the apple tree that's giving you food and shelter. Now that's pretty stupid I would say. Either go there and eat a mango or learn to like them apples.
    This is incorrect. I don't think most Kashmiri's in IOK want to actually be part of Pakistan. They say that because they know it infuriates the Indians. Mostly, they want peace and they want their independence. If given the option between Pakistan, India or Independence most Kashmiri's on either side would pick independence.

This is exactly why it is extremely important to let them decide their own fate. Point being, they don't want the mango nor do they want the apple they just want to be left alone to live in peace.

Sua cuique voluptas.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    True.... Unfortunately Karma will follow, it's the law of the universe, what you put in is what you most likely will get back..
    That's the stupidest thing i've heard. You're condoning genocide just because it happened in the past so we should let it happen again? Things can be done to stop this if the right actions are taken. Sitting back and watching it happen and then saying oh its just karma is beyond idiotic.

Sua cuique voluptas.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This is incorrect. I don't think most Kashmiri's in IOK want to actually be part of Pakistan. They say that because they know it infuriates the Indians. Mostly, they want peace and they want their independence. If given the option between Pakistan, India or Independence most Kashmiri's on either side would pick independence.

This is exactly why it is extremely important to let them decide their own fate. Point being, they don't want the mango nor do they want the apple they just want to be left alone to live in peace.
    My comment was specifically about people who are Pakistani patriots holding Pakistan flags in J&K. They don't need a plebisite. They can just walk over there instead of getting pelted or killed.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My comment was specifically about people who are Pakistani patriots holding Pakistan flags in J&K. They don't need a plebisite. They can just walk over there instead of getting pelted or killed.
    As mentioned, most probably do that on purpose because they know how it impacts the ruling party. I highly doubt they'd want to merge with Pakistan. Primarily, if they are left alone in peace without all the military presence and all the atrocities I doubt most of the people in the region would do anything at all they'd probably live peacefully while being part of India. However, in this case what is happening is an infringement of their rights and you cannot expect them to take this quietly sitting down.

Sua cuique voluptas.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's the stupidest thing i've heard. You're condoning genocide just because it happened in the past so we should let it happen again? Things can be done to stop this if the right actions are taken. Sitting back and watching it happen and then saying oh its just karma is beyond idiotic.
    I don't need to prove anything, proof is happening right in front of our eyes. THE genocide that those Kashmiri Muslims did is the reason why the Indian Army came.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    As mentioned, most probably do that on purpose because they know how it impacts the ruling party. I highly doubt they'd want to merge with Pakistan. Primarily, if they are left alone in peace without all the military presence and all the atrocities I doubt most of the people in the region would do anything at all they'd probably live peacefully while being part of India. However, in this case what is happening is an infringement of their rights and you cannot expect them to take this quietly sitting down.
    It's chicken and egg situation. Until it's calm, the army can't go away to the border. Unless the army leaves, people won't stop agitating. You've given 70 years to this over multiple generations and enough blood has been spilt. Why can't you give 5 years to this new situation? Azadi can always be on the agenda. The demographic change is hogwash. GOI will be stupid to initiate this right away anyway. There won't ever be a plebisite on this. It will be a hard split if ever it happens with tens of thousand of lives lost. Don't see that happening in the near future. Nothing has changed really. The state political leadership was always a sham anyway.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Primarily, if they are left alone in peace without all the military presence and all the atrocities I doubt most of the people in the region would do anything at all they'd probably live peacefully while being part of India.
    Pakistani military would not allow for this they will.keep using these Kashmiris as pawns by sending terrorists across the border and stoking anti India rhetoric.. This is about those 3 rivers flowing through Indian Kashmir which is why Pakistan is insecure, you know it, I know it the whole world barring These Kashmiris know it....Pakistan is the cause of all these problems, if they could learn to live in peace by dropping their mental issues on those 3 rivers, we can all live peacefully but it won't happen as history as shown. Pakistan has chosen it's path and it's a path that will get them nowhere but probably put them in a lot more trouble in the future...

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistani military would not allow for this they will.keep using these Kashmiris as pawns by sending terrorists across the border and stoking anti India rhetoric.. This is about those 3 rivers flowing through Indian Kashmir which is why Pakistan is insecure, you know it, I know it the whole world barring These Kashmiris know it....Pakistan is the cause of all these problems, if they could learn to live in peace by dropping their mental issues on those 3 rivers, we can all live peacefully but it won't happen as history as shown. Pakistan has chosen it's path and it's a path that will get them nowhere but probably put them in a lot more trouble in the future...
    it is possible to wake up a sleeping person, but is it possible with some body pretending to sleep? All these Pakistanis themselves know that they are creating problems out of nothing. They act as if Kashmiris are in concentration camps of Hitler. The truth is that a Kashmiri can purchase a commodity at say a mere 1/5th of the price other state people have to pay under the 'special law' that was in place. Like wise a lot of partial benefits when compared to other
    'state people '.

What these Pakistanis are claiming is that the Indian governments should go on continuing with
    these partiality towards the Kashmiris just because of them being fellow muslims . And when the current Indian government acted impartially and rightly these fellows are getting upset.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yaar rehne do, inhon ne baat nahi sunnini.

Ignore them and pray for all who are in pain.

That’s all what we can do.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Stockholm
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    Yaar rehne do, inhon ne baat nahi sunnini.

Ignore them and pray for all who are in pain.

That’s all what we can do.
    True brother.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    J-K: Resentment and fear make people down Valley shutters

In town after town in Kashmir, whether in the militancy-hit south, or in the north, people have been observing a near total market and transport shutdown over the last few days against the government’s decision to revoke the special status of Jammu and Kashmir and its bifurcation into two Union Territories. This, even as the authorities have announced relaxation of prohibitory orders in phases across the Valley.

Everywhere, all shops except chemists are shut. Meat shops half open their shutters in the evening. In villages, small grocery shops are open, but everything else is shut. Only private cars are seen on the roads. Public transport is at standstill. The Tata Sumos, the ubiquitous public transport on all Kashmir highways, are off the roads and the non-availability of public transport has hit attendance in government offices.

“There’s no call from any separatist leader, no transport or traders’ association has ordered a shutdown, but still people are not opening their shops. We have been asking them to open the markets, but people don’t want to do it,” a senior government official said. Several hundred people — there is no official count — have been detained, among them separatist leaders, politicians, other potential crowd mobilisers such as the head of market associations, even an RTI activist, and well known stone-pelters.

“People are observing this on their own,” said a chemist in Handwara who had opened his shop. On Friday, always a sensitive day in the Valley because of the weekly prayers, authorities tightened movement restrictions once again, but the curbs are expected to be relaxed Saturday.

Days before announcing its J&K move, the government poured tens of thousands of additional troops into the Valley, expecting an eruption of violent protests similar to the ones that took place in 2016 after the killing of militant Burhan Wani, effectively shutting down Kashmir for six months.

This time, since August 5, there have been street protests, especially in Srinagar, including stone-pelting, but nowhere near the scale of the 2016 protests. Instead, what Kashmir has been witnessing over the last two weeks is what people are calling a silent and sullen “civil curfew” against the recent decisions.

A government official said it is hard to judge if this means it is spontaneous or the shutdown is “out of fear” of militants. District officials said they have been trying to get traders to reopen shops and get public transport back on the roads, but their efforts are finding few takers. “Shop owners are saying they cannot reopen without telephones to connect them to their suppliers,” one district official said.

With the near total shutdown of communications, officials said they have been finding it hard to get public feedback to the measures, and only when phones and Internet are restored will a picture emerge. As to what it will be, an official said, “your guess is as good as mine”. But, he said, the Valley shutdown “could be one indication of what people are thinking”.

Among the people everywhere, the common refrain is: “We are angry, our identity has been snatched”. The absence of communication and the restrictions on movement has angered them more. With few landlines and no mobile networks, the government’s gambit of reopening schools has failed.

“No parent wants to send a child to school in such circumstances. What if something happens, and we cannot contact our kids or the school,” said one parent in Srinagar. No school buses have come out on the roads. Mushtaq Khan, a dentist and RTI activist in Srinagar’s Old City, who describes himself as a “liberal” and one who has been “as far away from separatism as anyone could imagine”, said the events of the last 20 days have made him rethink his politics.

In Lalhar village in Pulwama, a woman said: “This is a civil curfew. First, there was a curfew (from the government’s side), now this curfew is from our side. They want us to open shops and send our children to school, we are not going to do that.” In north Kashmir, CRPF personnel patrolled a deserted market place in Pattan. “We have not imposed any restriction on people opening their shops. Rather, we are telling them to open the shops, but they don’t want to come out,” said one of them.

Security forces have become more visible than before, with patrols and pickets every few hundred metres on the highway. In Kupwara in north Kashmir, just 50 km from the LoC, the town is shut. In Drugmulla model village, men returning from the afternoon namaz said there was a “curfew” from the government’s side, and one from the people’s side as well. A boy selling roasted bhuttas on the Sopore-Srinagar highway said he wasn’t going to school because of the hartal.

The government is hoping that the hartal will fizzle out, but people say they are preparing for a long haul. “People have learnt from the 2016 agitation that the government wants to tire us out. This time, people have decided to tire out the government,” a Pampore resident said.

In Mughalpora village in Pulwama, a student said: “We want to stretch this as long as we can, draw attention to what is happening in Kashmir.”

https://indianexpress.com/article/in...tters-5932333/

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

‘Worse than Aleppo, Mosul, Homs’: Voices from Kashmir

Those affected by the communication lockdown in Kashmir the most, are journalists and the media organisations they work for. At the moment, there is a tussle going on in the Valley between Indian and international media. While Indian television channel reports show the local populace in Kashmir as happy with the decision of the government to abrogate the special status of Jammu and Kashmir, the international media has been showing ground realities, such as the curfew, the protests and the clampdown.

In this tussle between these two media giants, it is the local Kashmiri media whose voice is being muzzled. It is they, the local media outlets and their reporters, photographers, and other staff members, who come in the direct line of fire from the corridors of power.

“We have not published since the clampdown on August 5. We have no contact with our staff members either,” says Shams Irfan, an associate editor at Kashmir Life. He says that most staffers of Kashmir Life live in North and South Kashmir. There is absolutely no way for the office to contact them and vice-versa.

Many working journalists compare the present situation with the mass unrest of 2016 and find the present situation worse. “We used to work regularly in the 2016 unrest, but not anymore. There is no internet, so all the online breaking news has come to a grinding halt. Even if we somehow manage to get access to the internet, no officials come on record to confirm any news. So, we thought it would be better to suspend our online section for the time being,” an online editor of a local daily says.

Many of the journalists interviewed did not wish to be identified from fear of reprisal or arrests.

Another local weekly, The Kashmir Walla, put out its last issue on August 4. Thereafter, it has not been published. “Our website is down since the last 14 days. We have no contact with our staff members or designers. Our printing press has also run out of raw material,” says its editor, Fahad Shah.

Shah says if any of his reporters file a story it will be sort of “incomplete” as their movements have been confined to Srinagar city. “We have limited access to information. There is no way we can contact officials to confirm any incident.”

THE ‘MEDIA’ CENTRE
    Although the authorities have established a media centre at a local hotel in Srinagar, many journalists hesitate to visit it and file stories from there. A total of five desktops have been established for the close to 200 working journalists in the city. At present, Kashmir has also been stormed by New Delhi-based journalists. This has made it even more difficult for local reporters to get their hands on the few desktops available.

“I have not visited the media centre since it was established. It is very difficult to work from there due to the heavy rush of journalists,” says local journalist Junaid Kathju.

Many journalists have to travel from North and South Kashmir to their office headquarters in Srinagar in order to deliver their footage or photographs in person.

“I travel from Pulwama, South Kashmir, every two days in order to deliver photographs and video footage at out office in Srinagar. The government and security forces do stop [journalists] while [they are] travelling to Srinagar but [they] only check the identity card and allow us to move,” says photojournalist Nissar-ul-Haq.

Journalists also say that the internet should at least be allowed to media organisations so that they can verify news and kill rumours. “We cannot operate from the media centre because it has a limited access. The authorities should at least give [full internet] access to the media. It will kill the rumours that are floating massively at this time in the Kashmir valley,” says Fahad Shah.

In the 21st century, supposedly a technology-driven era, the people of the northern parts of J&K are going through the worst communication lockdown that the region has ever witnessed. People here say that such harsh measures were not even been witnessed during the active conflicts in Syria or Iraq.

“When the wars in Aleppo and Homs in Syria were at their peak, SOS messages from the Syrians still used to trend [online]. Similarly, when the war in Mosul was raging in Iraq, once again, SOS messages could be seen on Twitter. Internet services were not snapped even in those active conflict regions. In Kashmir, we are observing the worst communication gag in the last 30 years,” says a local media person from the Bagh-e-Mehtab area of Srinagar, who did not wish to be identified.

This person says that a multiple-tier communication gag has been imposed in the Valley. “First, there is no mobile service. Second, the internet has been blocked. Third, landline phones are dead. Fourth, the inter-person communication has also been gagged because of the curfew-imposed across the Valley,” he adds.

NOT JUST JOURNALISTS
    Employees from far-flung areas in the Kashmir Valley are also finding it difficult to communicate with their families at home due to the unprecedented lockdown. “I am not able to speak with my family members. There has been no contact with them since I have joined work after the Eid holidays,” says Bilal Ahmad Bhat, who works at a local shop in Srinagar city.

Bhat, a resident of Hajin area of North Kashmir, returns to his native place during the wee hours on weekends to meet his family. “During the 2016 civil unrest, I was able to talk with my family since the mobile phones were functional but today the situation [of complete blanking out of communications] is worrisome,” he said.

Bhat says he has to travel a minimum of 80 kilometers on weekends just to meet his family in Safapora area of Hajin in Bandipora district of North Kashmir; a journey he must make if he wants to check on their well-being—and they his.

The doctors in Kashmir valley have also been on tenterhooks. To reach their hospitals and attend to their patients has been next to impossible after the communication gag. They are unable to reach their hospitals on time.

“My mother is a doctor at a primary hospital in Srinagar. A few days back [Friday morning], an ambulance driver came to our home with a patient’s details written on a piece of paper. It was sheer good luck for the patient that my mother was able to reach the hospital despite these curbs and saved the patient,” says a resident of the Nigeen area of Srinagar.

The same resident says that he finds the curbs in Kashmir unprecedented. His sister lives in Bengaluru and he has not been able to contact her for two weeks. Some relatives visited his home on Eid but they have not seen them thereafter.

People in Kashmir have resorted to old means of communication such as visiting the homes of relatives or friends in person to know their whereabouts.

“When you see your friends and relatives in person only then do you stop worrying about them. If you don’t see them, at least twice a day, you start getting worried. This need for physical confirmation is a must in Kashmir these days,” says a student who lives in the Rafiabad area of North Kashmir.

He says that locals have to ask “ten different people at ten different locations” about the whereabouts of their friends or relatives, as they strive to pick up any reassuring information about their loved ones.

https://www.newsclick.in/Kashmir-Loc...nt-Article-370

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    How about chant slogans without pelting stones and burning down buildings? It is sad everyone is suffering due to the actions of the few. Government should lift the Curfew so people can go on about their normal life.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Raids at night, handbills by day: Army siege in South Kashmir escalates after special status revoked

As soldiers strode up the street, the crowd that had gathered at a shopfront in Arihal, a village in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district, melted away. The men in uniform were handing out flyers printed in Urdu. “Article 370 aur 35A ko badlaav karne ke kitne phayede hai,” the headline declared. The many advantages of changing Articles 370 and 35A.

Together, these two constitutional provisions had guaranteed special status and autonomy to Jammu and Kashmir and reserved specific rights for permanent residents of the state, including the right to own land. That came to an end on August 5, when Union Home Minister Amit Shah announced the Centre was scrapping Article 35A, effectively nullifying Article 370 and dividing the state of Jammu and Kashmir into two Union Territories.

The flyers handed out by the army made 11 points. The new regime would usher in the “right to education”, including compulsory education for women, midday meals at government schools and new coaching centres. Under “health”, the flyer promised the implementation of Ayushman Yojana and new hospitals. Under “tourism”, new hotels and tourist centres.

The list went on. The development of backward classes would be prioritised. There would be new factories and industries. There would be Central supervision of law and order and of development, which would turn Kashmir into Pondicherry. There would be a crackdown on corruption and the implementation of the Right to Information Act, which would presumably replace the Jammu and Kashmir RTI Act already in place. There would be property rights for women. There would be Central largesse worth Rs 1 lakh crore to meet “daily needs”. There would be soaring land prices.

As the soldiers disappeared down the street, the crowd regrouped at the pend or shopfront. Behind them, the shops were shuttered in protest against the government’s decision. Eager voices told Scroll.in what life had been like in the weeks since Article 370 and 35A were gutted.

They accused security forces, especially the army, of conducting night raids: “They’ve beaten up all the boys, old people, women”, “they’ve destroyed rations, mixing rice and oil”, “they’ve broken the mosques as well, forcing their way in.”

An intimate war
    Three weeks after Amit Shah’s announcement, phone and internet lines in the Valley are still blocked, although the local administration insists landlines are gradually being restored. In most places and on most days, restrictions on movement have also been eased.

But shops remain defiantly closed, from Pulwama in South Kashmir to Baramulla in North Kashmir to Srinagar and Budgam in Central Kashmir. Shutdowns are an old form of protest in the Valley, which saw mass uprisings against the government in 2008, 2010 and 2016. In earlier seasons of protests, the separatist leadership of the Hurriyat would issue a “calendar” or schedule for shutdowns. This time, there is no one to issue calendars – most of the Hurriyat leadership is behind bars or under house arrest. Indeed, most of the “mainstream” leadership that took part in elections is also incarcerated. This time, residents say, the shutdown is an autonomous decision.

While an unearthly quiet reigns on the streets, the Valley is awash with security forces. In Srinagar, police and paramilitary forces keep vigil at empty marketplaces. Men from the Central Reserve Police Force guard the local police stations, where hundreds are believed to be detained. Since August 5, about 4,000 are said to have been detained and held under the Public Safety Act, a preventive detention law specific to Jammu and Kashmir.

As one drives south from Srinagar, the landscape opens out into fields of paddy and saffron. Then it closes in again as the road runs through woods and orchards. Here, the Rashtriya Rifles, the counter-insurgency branch of the Indian Army set up in the 1990s, has established camps, each with a designated area of operation in the surrounding villages.

Over the last few years, the four districts of South Kashmir – Pulwama, Shopian, Kulgam and Anantnag – have become the centre of a new phase of local militancy, prompting the Indian Army to move in closer. Villages here are marked by violence and gunfights, by the names of local militants who once lived there. In February, a suicide bomber burst out on the national highway at Lethpora in Pulwama district, ramming into a CRPF convoy and killing 40.

The arrests and detentions reported in other parts of the Valley have also spread to South Kashmir in the last few weeks. But in these rural districts, residents and the army have been locked in an intimate struggle over the past few years, settling into a local rhythm of search operations and military crackdowns. No gunfights have been reported in South Kashmir over the last three weeks. But, going by local accounts in Pulwama district, the army crackdown has intensified.

‘They catch people on suspicion’
    “The army comes at night, sometimes they don’t even have have police with them,” said one lanky youth at the shopfront in Arihal. “First they cover the mosques so that an alarm cannot be raised [from the loudspeakers] there, then they raid. They come to beat up people, 12 am, 1 am at night.”

According to residents, there were raids on July 27, August 3 and August 4. About 200 private vehicles were vandalised, residents of Arihal alleged. One young man who drove a Tavera taxi said his vehicle was vandalised by security forces on August 3, when it was parked at the Arihal bus stand. “They told me to take the wind out of the tyres, then they took my phone and beat me,” he claimed. To collect his phone, the young man alleged, the security personnel asked him to go to the nearby Rashtriya Rifles camp, where he was beaten again.

But his troubles had begun before that. In July, the police had arrested his 18-year-old brother and taken him to the District Police Lines at Pulwama, the taxi driver alleged. “When I went to visit him two days before Eid, they said they had taken him to Srinagar,” he said. “At the Srinagar Central Jail, we were told they have taken him to Agra. When we came back from Srinagar to the police lines in Pulwama, they told us they had booked him under the PSA [Public Safety Act].”

The taxi driver could only speculate why his brother was detained. “They catch people on suspicion,” he said. “If anyone raises their voice, they take him. They felt this boy is going to raise his voice so they took him.”

His brother’s arrest may have been precipitated by events that took place in June. On June 7, Imran Ahmad Bhat, a Jaish-e-Mohammad militant from Arihal, was killed in a gunfight with security forces in Pulwama district. Three other Jaish militants were also killed in the incident. Ten days later, an improvised explosive device ripped through an army vehicle belonging to the 44 Rashtriya Rifles and travelling on the Arihal-Lassipora road, killing two jawans. The incident seems to have drawn interest to the village of about 5,000 people. As August 5 drew near, the interest seemed have deepened.

According to residents, two people from Arihal were killed in the mass protests of 2016 and several more injured. This time, there is relative quiet. “People are still very angry,” explained one boy. “They are quiet because their is a gun to their heads.”

Fear may have quelled protests for the time being. It has also kept the local youth out of their beds at night. “At night, we sleep in the orchards or cow sheds,” said one boy. “We are not safe in our own beds.”

‘Night comes like death’
    In Samboora, too, nights are uneasy. The village, also in Pulwama district, lies in the shadow of a Rashtriya Rifles camp but its walls and shutters are sprayed with slogans of support for the Jaish-e-Mohammad and local militants.

The Jaish has a long history in the village. Yasmeena Akhtar, a member of the Jaish’s Bana’at-e-Ayesha regiment who had blown herself up in South Kashmir’s Awantipora town in 2005, was from this village. Noor Mohammad Tantay, the famous recruiter for the Jaish, known for his diminutive stature, was killed in a gunfight in Samboora in December 2017. At present, residents say, there are two active militants from the village, both with the Lashkar-e-Taiba.

Whenever there is tension in the Valley, boys from Samboora are reportedly picked up. “The army does not come here during the day. But night comes like death,” said the resident, whose brother, a JCB driver, was allegedly arrested on the intervening night of August 7 and August 8.

“They came at midnight, the Rashtriya Rifles and the STF [special task force of the Jammu and Kashmir Police],” he said. “They had already cordoned off the house and entered the compound. They knocked and said they had to search the house. After searching, they asked, where is your younger brother? He had gone to his aunt’s house that night.”

The JCB driver is the fourth of five brothers in the family. When they found him missing, the security forces took the third brother instead. Next morning, the family recounted, they took the JCB driver to the Pampore police station, in the hope that they would release his brother. But for six days days, the police kept both brothers. After that, the third brother was released but the JCB driver was taken to Srinagar Central Jail, where the family has visited him twice.

“There has been no FIR against him since 2016,” said the brother recounting the story. “They [the police] have not told us anything. They don’t talk to us.”

At least 10 other boys had been picked up from Samboora, residents allege, and three of them sent to jails outside the Valley. Since August 5, there have been regular night raids, they claim. “But this village has always been like this,” said the brother of the JCB driver. “They [security forces] hate the name of Samboora.”

Like Arihal, the village has a population of roughly 5,000. Residents estimate there are hundreds of FIRs against spread out among them. “If you throw a stone here, you will hit someone with an FIR,” said one resident.

‘They do it themselves’
    Army officials in Srinagar denied any knowledge of night searches or beatings by soldiers posted in South Kashmir. An army official speaking off the record described the allegations of vandalism as “propaganda”.

“They do it themselves and then take pictures,” he said.

Explained the officer: “What is the army’s aim? It is definitely not to harass people, it is to make the situation better. Our boys are going around and talking to the kith and kin of people from Jammu and Kashmir. There are some troublemakers – some of them are known, some of them have history. It is mainly the police and civil administration who are reaching out to people are trying to reduce the problem. ”

The army, he said, was only concerned with “people within the ambit of terrorism”. Even then, he claimed, they conducted joint operations with the police and paramilitary. Detentions of the sort reported in the last few weeks, he said, were purely a police matter. Even if someone comes to us by mistake, we hand them over to police,” he said. The main aim, he said, was to avoid the loss of life, even if it meant a few restrictions for the time being.

Scroll.in made several trips to the Pampore police station as well as to the subdivisional headquarters at Awantipora but was told there was no officer who could speak. Senior police officers in the district were also unreachable on the phone.

‘Our lives are done’
    Meanwhile, the leaflets handed out by the army do not seem to have found takers in South Kashmir. For decades, villages like Arihal and Samboora have rejected the writ of the Indian government. But the scrapping of special status had taken them further away from their political demands. Provisions like Article 370 were the last safeguards to an identity under siege, they feel. Overnight, the goalposts of the “tehreek”, or movement, had changed.

“All those years we were struggling for freedom, we thought the article was safe,” said one resident of Samboora. “Our efforts were beyond that. Now we have to fight to save that article. Our identity is finished. There is no difference between us and other states.”

Despite the current silence, there was a storm brewing, warned the brother of the JCB driver who was arrested. “The hartals we saw in 2010, 2016 – they were nothing,” he said. “This is a toofan. Our lives are done. Generations after us will also be finished.”

https://scroll.in/article/935245/rai...status-revoked

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Griffins ....

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)