"Until we win on tough tours, like Australia or England, our ranking won't improve" : Azhar Ali

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Until we win on tough tours, like Australia or England, our ranking won't improve" : Azhar Ali

Azhar Ali at a press conference today:

"The pre-season camp is a great opportunity for everyone. I've returned from England where the weather is different, now we have the QEA Trophy coming up and lots of other cricket. We're working on our fitness and skills. The tougher the practice, the easier the matches will be for us"

"I am expecting domestic cricket to be very competitive and the quality will improve. The challenge will be for everyone to stay at the top of their game, it's a wonderful initiative by the PCB to improve the quality of cricket and all players are excited about it"

"I haven't spoken to any one (about captaincy) so I won't comment on those rumours. When I made the decision to step down in the past, that was due to the circumstances"

"When I retired from ODI cricket, I said I will continue to play all formats in domestic cricket because we play less Test cricket so I need to keep playing competitive cricket. I enjoyed the county season specially the One Days, it's nice to play on flat wickets, where you get some freedom to play your strokes"

"When I retired from ODI cricket, I saw the team was settled and the World Cup was close and I saw no future for myself in ODI cricket. I don't want to talk about this much"

(Would you consider making a comeback in ODIs if the selection committee asked) "This is a very difficult question, we don't have a selection committee now and coaches will also come, prematurely I can't say anything. I never even thought about this until you asked this question"

(Chris Gayle made a comeback in ODIs, Shahbaz sr. came back in hockey, are you going to come back in ODIs) "I will say something simple. I am retired from ODIs, but if I feel that Pakistan need me then I will think about it. Currently, I'm not thinking about it"

"Our recent performances in Test cricket haven't been good. PCB is taking some decisions like they have with the FC structure. When you lose 2 senior players, it makes a lot of difference not only in batting but in many things. Any team when they lose senior players is affected but hopefully with time, our performance will become consistent. Until we win on tough overseas tours like Australia or England, our ranking won't improve. We need to win at home and also play good cricket overseas"

"Ben Stokes is having a brilliant year and we all saw his innings and should congratulate him, you don't see such innings very often. He's a very good all-rounder, he won the World Cup too. It's difficult to find a player like him, even if you ask England if they have another option like him, they might not be able to find one quickly. Hopefully Pakistan can find players like this, we do have players who can finish the game but Ben Stokes is definitely a great player"

"Pakistan's performance in the World Cup wasn't bad, if luck was on our side or we played well in one of the matches where we played badly and we would've been in the semis. We were knocked out on NRR due to the first match. Anyone can go through poor form but I saw that the batsman performing well in tough conditions so I'm not worried, Pakistan has a bright future in white-ball cricket"

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This was one of the worst press conferences I've heard, due to the questions on display. Half the time was spent on journos asking him to take back his ODI retirement.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the level of sports journalism is seriously low in pakistan. abs no common sense and most of them have their own agenda. One of the journalist from a top TV channel has been accused of putting pressure on TV and behind doors to promote certain players.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our ranking would also have been much better if you guys only would have won home series vs Srl and NZ. We could have been in top 5 atleast. Top teams in ranking tables are also mainly winning their home series with outliers in between.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Our ranking would also have been much better if you guys only would have won home series vs Srl and NZ. We could have been in top 5 atleast. Top teams in ranking tables are also mainly winning their home series with outliers in between.
    Only that matters is how Pakistan plays from NOW as test championship just began. Luckily all the test series before don't count.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    This was one of the worst press conferences I've heard, due to the questions on display. Half the time was spent on journos asking him to take back his ODI retirement.
    Its sad. Journos have become cockroaches.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Pakistan won’t win outside Asia until Azhar Ali is dropped.

In the last ten years he has scored under 20 in 58% of his innings outside Asia. And he’s actually getting even worse as he ages.

See my other thread: Azhar has a diabolical record outside Asia.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    We have lost our last two out of our last 3 series in UAE due to shameful peformances from seniors like Azhar, Asad and Sarfaraz. Yet the talk is winning tough series away!

The sooner these guys go the better, starting with Series against SL.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Pakistan won’t win outside Asia until Azhar Ali is dropped.

In the last ten years he has scored under 20 in 58% of his innings outside Asia. And he’s actually getting even worse as he ages.

See my other thread: Azhar has a diabolical record outside Asia.
    azhar and asad have been massively disappointing playing over outside asia. and dont deserve a spot after the last overseas tours.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    We have lost our last two out of our last 3 series in UAE due to shameful peformances from seniors like Azhar, Asad and Sarfaraz. Yet the talk is winning tough series away!

The sooner these guys go the better, starting with Series against SL.
    asad shouldve been dropped after last years overseas tours... one the most overhype players to play for pakistan. also one of the most mentally weak. shouldve gave umar akmal this many chances im sure he wouldve won us a couple tests over seas.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a dismal collection of questions. There really is no positive in Pakistan cricket these days other than the little hope Wasim Khan has given. From commentators to coaches to the friggin journalists, all a joke.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Not with a chicken-heart player like you. Your tuktuking cost us NZ test.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post
    what a dismal collection of questions. There really is no positive in Pakistan cricket these days other than the little hope Wasim Khan has given. From commentators to coaches to the friggin journalists, all a joke.
    He was clearly not interested in discussing the ODI angle but they kept asking over and over, then at the end someone asked about captaincy again when he had already answered that question, so the PCB media guy said that's enough and ended it.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Waves refrigerator for Azhar Ali. It is mind-boggling what he is still doing in the team

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Shekhar View Post
    Only that matters is how Pakistan plays from NOW as test championship just began. Luckily all the test series before don't count.
    True. Hopefully new management might be able to atleast do the basics right, do their homework and read the pitch properly.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Azhar Ali hints at reversing retirement decision

Pakistan’s experienced batsman Azhar Ali has hinted that he might be willing to reverse his decision to retire from one-day international cricket.

Azhar, 34, had announced his retirement after representing his country in 53 ODIS before the World Cup. He featured in Pakistan’s historic Champions Trophy win in 2017 in England.

“I decided to retire because I didn’t see any place for me in the one-day squad and I felt my place was not certain for the World Cup, so I decided to call it a day from the format,” Azhar said in Lahore on Thursday.

Asked if he would take back his decision if the selectors approached him to play in ODIs, the senior batsman made it clear he was always available.

“I will review my retirement decision if such a time comes but for now I am retired from this format. In fact the PCB is yet to make appointments for team coaches and selection committee so it is too early to think about my retirement,” he added.

He noted that for the time being he was focusing on preparing for the coming season.

Azhar, who was made captain of the one-day squad after the 2011 World Cup, insisted he had no regrets about his decision to just focus on Test cricket.

“I think as a team we need to start doing well in Test matches and we need to not only win our home series but also go and win in countries like England, Australia and South Africa to become a top team.”

Azhar, who has played in 73 Tests and also has triple and double hundreds to his credit, admitted that Pakistan’s performance in the format has not been very good.

“We have struggled and I think primary reason for this is retirement of two senior players/batsman. Their retirements made a difference not just in batting but in other ways as well.

“Every team struggles when they lose senior players and it is not easy to find ready replacements. Hopefully players will come up and do well.”

Source::::https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le29292710.ece

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably Misbah asked him to do so. Azhar and Imran Farhat will be the new opening pair in ODI.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    good, need azhar back

FInally with Misbah back, the team will be fixed

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a joke.. pakistan cricket has become a joke. retirees taking back retirement ever other day.

azhar has no place in the odi team and i will wholeheartedly stop watch pak cricket if this guy some how walks back into the team.

its ridiculous hes even considering coming back to the odi setup after failing in the whole country cricket season

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    good, need azhar back

whhaaa, how do we need azhar back into the odi setup? please explain.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    good, need azhar back

Have some shame. I know it's a lot to ask for.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Pakistan’s experienced batsman Azhar Ali has hinted that he might be willing to reverse his decision to retire from one-day international cricket.

Azhar, 34, had announced his retirement after representing his country in 53 ODIS before the World Cup. He featured in Pakistan’s historic Champions Trophy win in 2017 in England.

“I decided to retire because I didn’t see any place for me in the one-day squad and I felt my place was not certain for the World Cup, so I decided to call it a day from the format,” Azhar said in Lahore on Thursday.

Asked if he would take back his decision if the selectors approached him to play in ODIs, the senior batsman made it clear he was always available.

“I will review my retirement decision if such a time comes but for now I am retired from this format. In fact the PCB is yet to make appointments for team coaches and selection committee so it is too early to think about my retirement,” he added.

He noted that for the time being he was focusing on preparing for the coming season.

Azhar, who was made captain of the one-day squad after the 2011 World Cup, insisted he had no regrets about his decision to just focus on Test cricket.

“I think as a team we need to start doing well in Test matches and we need to not only win our home series but also go and win in countries like England, Australia and South Africa to become a top team.”

Azhar, who has played in 73 Tests and also has triple and double hundreds to his credit, admitted that Pakistan’s performance in the format has not been very good.

“We have struggled and I think primary reason for this is retirement of two senior players/batsman. Their retirements made a difference not just in batting but in other ways as well.

“Every team struggles when they lose senior players and it is not easy to find ready replacements. Hopefully players will come up and do well.”

Source::::https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le29292710.ece
    If you actually heard the press conference, Azhar said he hadn't even thought of this and kept insisting he was retired, but the journalists kept asking over and over until he said an arbitrary statement, that he can come back if needed. I think he'll stay retired.

People need to calm down, Misbah isn't the devil. If you're going to wrist-slit for the next 3 years straight, it'll make things difficult.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you actually heard the press conference, Azhar said he hadn't even thought of this and kept insisting he was retired, but the journalists kept asking over and over until he said an arbitrary statement, that he can come back if needed. I think he'll stay retired.

People need to calm down, Misbah isn't the devil. If you're going to wrist-slit for the next 3 years straight, it'll make things difficult.
    okay, i was very surprised.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    whhaaa, how do we need azhar back into the odi setup? please explain.
    azhar ali was always a good odi player.

THere are two ways that he can be utilized.

If Imam doesnt perform as opener agianst good opposition than bring Azhar in his place.

Or, bring Azhar in the middle order. Our middle order batting after Haris has been a joke.

We need another strong middle order batsmen which can be filled by Azhar or Rizwan. I think one of them good be on the bench as a back up.

Than we need a good no.6 batsmen who can play innings and also hit sixes, and for that Iftikhar is very suitable.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And how are supposed to do that exactly,Azhar?
    Since you guys,the seniors and leaders,do jack and hide behind the juniors in home tours let alone away ones.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    How so? His ODI record is barely better than Ahmed Shehzad's.

He had a good Champions Trophy and that's about it. He has played 50+ ODIs but has a very poor record to show for it.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THere are two ways that he can be utilized.

If Imam doesnt perform as opener agianst good opposition than bring Azhar in his place.

Or, bring Azhar in the middle order. Our middle order batting after Haris has been a joke.

We need another strong middle order batsmen which can be filled by Azhar or Rizwan. I think one of them good be on the bench as a back up.

Than we need a good no.6 batsmen who can play innings and also hit sixes, and for that Iftikhar is very suitable.
    Bias ki b had hoti hai bro.

Azhar was never a good odi player.

You dont need to support misbah on every decision just because you like misbah.

Ifti chacha should never be in the team again. Hes clearly over 30.

Need to invest in young player why brinf back TTFs.

And azhar in the middle order? Common man use some sense he cant even rotate the strike let alone score boundaries.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pakistan need to restart winning in UAE first.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    Bias ki b had hoti hai bro.

Azhar was never a good odi player.

You dont need to support misbah on every decision just because you like misbah.

Ifti chacha should never be in the team again. Hes clearly over 30.

Need to invest in young player why brinf back TTFs.

And azhar in the middle order? Common man use some sense he cant even rotate the strike let alone score boundaries.
    During the world cup and even before We had no lower order batsmen to finish off games.

If Iftikhar can give us 4 years, that good enough.

Azhar Ali can be used as a middle order batsmen. If rizwan becomes a bust, then there isn't any options behind. Azhar ali isnt as bad as people on this forum make him to be

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How so? His ODI record is barely better than Ahmed Shehzad's.

He had a good Champions Trophy and that's about it. He has played 50+ ODIs but has a very poor record to show for it.
    If Sarfaraz can be the captain on the basis of just Champions Trophy, then...

You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    If Sarfaraz can be the captain on the basis of just Champions Trophy, then...
    Don't worry, reports are that Azhar will be the next Test captain

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the world cup and even before We had no lower order batsmen to finish off games.

If Iftikhar can give us 4 years, that good enough.

Azhar Ali can be used as a middle order batsmen. If rizwan becomes a bust, then there isn't any options behind. Azhar ali isnt as bad as people on this forum make him to be
    his strike rotation is as bad as people make it out to be. that can seen by his career strike rate. he should be nowhere near the odi setup. let alone in the middle order.

we have younger and better players coming through the ranks why would take 2 steps backwards.