Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Bangladesh bans mobile phone access to almost a million Rohingya refugees living in refugee camps

Bangladesh ordered telecommunications companies to stop selling SIM cards and shut down mobile phone services to almost one million Rohingya refugees living in sprawling refugee camps.

The order resonated across the camps on Monday, where it threatened to disconnect Rohingya from several settlements that stretch for kilometres in the border district of Cox's Bazar. The communication blackout will also isolate Rohingya from family still in Myanmar from where they fled a brutal military crackdown.

Telecommunications operators have seven days to submit reports to the government on the actions they took to shut down networks in the camps, said Zakir Hossain Khan, spokesman for the Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission.

"Many refugees are using mobile phones in the camps. We've asked the operators to take action to stop it," Khan told the AFP news agency, saying the decision was made on "security grounds".

The decree follows what the government describes as a series of violent crimes in the camps in recent weeks.

About 700,000 Rohingya fled into Bangladesh from Myanmar's Rakhine State beginning in August of 2017, following a military crackdown on the majority-Muslim Rohingya minority, an apparent systemic purge described by the United Nations as a "textbook example of ethnic cleansing".

They joined about 200,000 Rohingya who fled years earlier.

The mobile phone crackdown comes just days after tens of thousands of Rohingya rallied on the two-year anniversary of the exodus.

No way to communicate

While Bangladesh officially banned mobile phones in the camps in 2017, the measure was never wholly enforced and mobile phone sets and SIM cards remained easily available in a thriving market in the camps.

Refugees relied on the technology, along with radio broadcasts, to disseminate information and connect with family.

"We won't be able to communicate with our relatives living in Myanmar or other parts of the world," a Rohingya leader, who did not want to be named, was quoted as saying.

The leader added many Rohingya who rely on remittances sent by their diaspora usually receive phone calls informing them of the money transfers.

A UN official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the move would "would further isolate and victimise the already persecuted people".

"Seeking to limit their communication amongst themselves, with Bangladeshis and people abroad, will serve to push them towards negative coping habits be it crime, violence or extremism," he said.

'Positive impact'

Ikbal Hossain, a police spokesman, hailed the decision saying the refugees had been "abusing" mobile phone access to conduct criminal activities such as trafficking of methamphetamine pills, worth hundreds of millions of dollars, from Myanmar.

"It will definitely make a positive impact. I believe criminal activities will surely come down," he told the AFP.

Police also cited a string of criminal incidents as justification, including nearly 600 cases of drug trafficking, murders, robberies, gang fighting, and family feuds, since the refugees arrived.

Police also recently killed four Rohingya refugees while investigating the murder of a local ruling party official, Omar Faruk. Authorities have said Rohingya criminals are suspected to be behind the killing.

Faruk's murder led hundreds of furious locals to block a highway leading to a refugee camp for hours on August 22, burning tyres and vandalising shops visited by refugees.

In total, Bangladeshi security forces have shot dead a total of at least 34 Rohingya over the past two years, mostly for alleged methamphetamines trafficking.

Rohingya refugees have said the recent bloodshed has created an atmosphere of fear in the camp, where security has been tightened. Rights groups have accused Bangladesh police of extrajudicial killings.

Bangladesh has struggled with the massive influx of Rohingya, which has caused a financial strain on the country's already economically depressed south.

A repatriation agreement signed by Myanmar and Bangladesh in November 2017 has foundered, with several attempts scuttled amid resistance from Rohingya and condemnation from the international community.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...194154637.html

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ethnic cleansing... happening around the world unfortunately..

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is wrong to cut down mobile communication. BD government should reverse the decision.

Having said that, I have seen report of Rohingyas committing crimes. I don't know if it is true but if true then they should stop too.

LIONEL MESSI FAN
    Find PakPassion on Twitter: @PakPassion

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I must add that Rohingyas should go back at one point. Bangladesh is a tiny country that is way overpopulated. We don't have enough space for our own people; how can we accommodate so many refugees?

UN should step in and give these refugees shelters somewhere else.

Also, Myanmar should receive sanctions.

LIONEL MESSI FAN

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    I think it is wrong to cut down mobile communication. BD government should reverse the decision.

Having said that, I have seen report of Rohingyas committing crimes. I don't know if it is true but if true then they should stop too.
    Here’s a hint, why don’t you do some research so you do know, rather using such language to demonise the victims.

Suddenly your affinity for the ummah is waning.

Not surprising.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The Rohingyas have no luck. The two Muslim nations in South Asia are Bangladesh and Pakistan. On the one hand, Bangladesh doesn't really want them and are doing stuff like this; on the other, Pakistan are selling JF-17s to the Myanmar Air Force so they can be hunted from the air.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bangladesh has done more for Rohingya refugees then any other nation on earth.

But they deserve more help from the UN and wealthier countries.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miandadrules View Post
    Here’s a hint, why don’t you do some research so you do know, rather using such language to demonise the victims.

Suddenly your affinity for the ummah is waning.

Not surprising.
    You have comprehension issue. I have never demonized them. My love for Ummah is still intact and I am glad BD gave them shelters. Bangladesh is the only nation on Earth who gave these vulnerable Rohingyas shelter.

I want my Rohingya brothers and sisters to be safe but we are a tiny (and very overpopulated) country ourselves. To put it bluntly, we don't have the resources/spaces to host 2-million refugees indefinitely. Other countries and UN can step in and relieve our burden a bit.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 4th September 2019 at 20:29.

LIONEL MESSI FAN

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You have comprehension issue. I have never demonized them. My love for Ummah is still intact and I am glad BD gave them shelters. Bangladesh is the only nation on Earth who gave these vulnerable Rohingyas shelter.

I want my Rohingya brothers and sisters to be safe but we are a tiny (and very overpopulated) country ourselves. To put it bluntly, we don't have the resources/spaces to host 2-million refugees indefinitely. Other countries and UN can step in and relieve our burden a bit.
    The ummah is a burden?

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    The Rohingyas have no luck. The two Muslim nations in South Asia are Bangladesh and Pakistan. On the one hand, Bangladesh doesn't really want them and are doing stuff like this; on the other, Pakistan are selling JF-17s to the Myanmar Air Force so they can be hunted from the air.
    Don't worry, the Jewish lobby is diverting some funds from the JF-17 sales to Zionist states, so looks like your dream of Pakistan/Israel partnership is in the embryonic stage by one means or the other.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Don't worry, the Jewish lobby is diverting some funds from the JF-17 sales to Zionist states, so looks like your dream of Pakistan/Israel partnership is in the embryonic stage by one means or the other.
    That unsubstantiated speck of rumour is hardly the foundation for Pakistan - Israel relations.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You just generalized an entire ethnicity.

"but but vut about da pundits?!?!?!?!?!"

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I must add that Rohingyas should go back at one point. Bangladesh is a tiny country that is way overpopulated. We don't have enough space for our own people; how can we accommodate so many refugees?

UN should step in and give these refugees shelters somewhere else.

Also, Myanmar should receive sanctions.
    Rohingyas are Bengalis too so they're technically your people, a true ethnic state takes anybody from their ethnicity.

"but but vut about da pundits?!?!?!?!?!"

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    You just generalized an entire ethnicity.
    I meant the ones who were causing troubles (allegedly).

Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    Rohingyas are Bengalis too so they're technically your people, a true ethnic state takes anybody from their ethnicity.
    Bangladesh is about 5 times smaller than Pakistan while population is almost same. You do the math.

Our own people can't live well in that country. Way too populated.

Rohingyas are currently living in cramped shelters; very bad conditions. If a natural disaster happens, many can die.

I am all for keeping them for a few years but a portion of them needs to be shifted somewhere else. It is not dignifying for them and it is not financially sustainable for us.

LIONEL MESSI FAN

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Akter, 20, expelled from university for being Rohingya

Rahima Akter hid her Rohingya identity to enrol at a private university in Bangladesh's Cox's Bazar, but her dreams of pursuing higher education were dashed after she was suspended by her university earlier this month.

The 20-year-old from Kutupalong refugee camp has become the face of the struggle of Rohingya refugees who want to study, as Bangladesh does not allow Rohingya to enrol in schools or colleges.

Last October, she was featured in a video story by the Associated Press in which she talked about being a Rohingya and her dream to study human rights so she could raise her voice for her persecuted community.

Nearly a year after it was published, the video went viral after which she was expelled from Cox's Bazar International University where she was studying law.

"I was in college when the video started showing up on people's phones. Suddenly, everyone was asking me, 'Are you Rohingya?' Some people started a negative campaign, saying I should be sent back," Akter told Al Jazeera over the phone.

"I was hiding my identity only so I could study. I feel guilty but I did not have an option. Is getting an education a crime?" she asked.

"It's a fundamental human right. I have learned that. Being a Rohingya is not my fault."

She has been in hiding at her aunt's house in Cox's Bazar, worried about her safety since her identity was revealed.

When she was 12 years old, Akter's father tried to stop her from going to school and wanted to marry her off instead, she said. She pleaded with him to let her study and he relented.

Akter was born and raised in Bangladesh. Her parents fled in 1992 during the mass exodus of Rohingya refugees from Myanmar. She is one of 33,000 registered refugees in the country.

Rohingya children are only allowed to study in non-formal primary schools in refugee camps. Some Rohingya families obtain forged documents for their children to study in Bangladeshi educational institutions.

For years, schools and colleges in Bangladesh admitted these students without causing a furore. That started to change from January 2019, as Bangladeshi authorities began to track down and expel Rohingya refugee students, according to a report by the Human Rights Watch (HRW) in April this year.

Bangladesh distinguishes between "registered" Rohingya refugees and those who arrived since August 2017 whom it refers to as "forcibly displaced Myanmar nationals".

More than 700,000 Rohingya fled Myanmar in August 2017 after the military launched a bloody crackdown on the community that had long been stripped of their citizenship and other basic rights.

"Under international law, Bangladesh has an obligation to provide access to education to all children on its territory without discrimination, regardless of their refugee status," said Bill Vans Esveld, associate director of children's rights at HRW.

Al Jazeera reached out to government officials in Dhaka, but could not get a response.

Mahbub Alam Talukdar, the refugee relief and repatriation commissioner, refused to comment. "I'm not in a position to comment. We are observing the situation," he told Al Jazeera.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...060043568.html

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bangladesh's job is to give them shelter. If Bangladesh have given them that, that's good enough.

When it comes to education, there are limited seats. So, I can see why BD may not allow these refugees to study.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 18th September 2019 at 02:54.

LIONEL MESSI FAN

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont understand how Burma can get away with this. Focus should be on Burma really. With the issues with refugees in the Middle East no one else wants to allow more refugees to come to their country.

Bangladesh seems to have allowed them to atleast take shelter. It is more important that these people are allowed safely to their own country as it seems they would like to return.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1610 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imrankhannsu View Post
    I dont understand how Burma can get away with this. Focus should be on Burma really. With the issues with refugees in the Middle East no one else wants to allow more refugees to come to their country.

Bangladesh seems to have allowed them to atleast take shelter. It is more important that these people are allowed safely to their own country as it seems they would like to return.
    Myanmar has its own reasons. Rohingyas started a separatist movement to cede from Myanmar, which finally went violent with the formation of ARSA.ARSA started killing minority hindus and then attacked Myanmar Army.

This started the retaliation of Myanmarese forces who used disproportionate force and percipitated this crisis.

Thing is countries wont support any armed separatist movements.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Myanmar has its own reasons. Rohingyas started a separatist movement to cede from Myanmar, which finally went violent with the formation of ARSA.ARSA started killing minority hindus and then attacked Myanmar Army.

This started the retaliation of Myanmarese forces who used disproportionate force and percipitated this crisis.

Thing is countries wont support any armed separatist movements.
    But isnt that because the Rohingya people have been subject to alot of issues since the 1960s? But nevertheless such a drive to expul poor people IMO is shocking.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1610 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imrankhannsu View Post
    But isnt that because the Rohingya people have been subject to alot of issues since the 1960s? But nevertheless such a drive to expul poor people IMO is shocking.
    Actually the issue started in late 40s or early 50s. Rohingyas started their separatist movement way back in 40s, they initially wanted to be part of pakistan and had requested M A Jinnah to do the same. He rejected it as it would have complicated the entire pakistan issue.

In late 40s or early 50s(,Can remember the exact year) Myanmar hit back with aborogating the voting rights of the separatist Rohingyas.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Bangladesh to build barbed wire fences around Rohingya camps

Bangladesh is planning to install barbed-wire fencing, guard towers and cameras around Rohingya refugee camps, raising fears of prison-like conditions in the already bleak settlements.

The move comes amid growing security concerns and rising impatience in Dhaka that no solution has been found to repatriate or rehouse some one million refugees who have fled from Burma’s Rakhine state to the Bangladeshi port of Cox’s Bazar, most during a murderous military crackdown in 2017.

"There are three large camps. We'll fence the three camps with barbed wires," Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan told reporters this week.

"Watch towers and CCTV cameras" would also be set up to monitor activity in the Cox's Bazar district settlements, he added, according to AFP.

Tensions over the camps have increased since a repatriation bid to encourage refugees to return to Burma in August failed because of the minority’s fears that they would not be allowed back to their homes and would never be granted Burmese citizenship.

Dhaka has been dialing up the pressure on the Rohingya, taking steps to restrict their activities, including the blocking of 3G and 4G mobile networks, confiscating SIM cards and mobile phones, reportedly over fears that criminal gangs are involved in murder and drug smuggling.

Two refugees were killed in a gun battle with Bangladeshi border guards after failing to surrender when they were caught trying to cross over from Burma early on Friday and reportedly opened fire. The guards claimed the men were carrying 70,000 methamphetamine tablets.

The movement of Rohingya refugees to and from the crowded Cox’s Bazar camps is already severely restricted, and families are unable to earn a livelihood and children cannot receive a higher education.

Aid workers have indicated that conditions in the squalid settlements are rapidly becoming more desperate.

“As tensions inside Cox’s Bazar mount, violence has become a daily occurrence and we know that there are many Rohingya refugees desperate to return to their homes,” Manish Agrawal, Bangladesh director for the International Rescue Committee, told The Telegraph earlier this month.

“People find it impossible to look to the future and live beyond each day; they cannot access basic services and finding work is out of the question.”

But Mr Agarwal added that despite the hardships, there was still “immense fear” of returning to Burma and that any repatriation must be done on a safe and voluntary basis.

“This will only happen if the root causes of the crisis are addressed and the governments of Bangladesh and Myanmar work collaboratively with the international community; the Rohingya people must have a viable pathway to citizenship, have access to jobs and services and, most of all, protected from harm,” he said.

Last year, a United Nations fact-finding team recommended the prosecution of top Burmese military commanders on charges of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity. Burma has rejected the allegations.

In mid-September the team cited the lack of accountability for the perpetrators of the alleged crimes when it concluded that "that there is a serious risk that genocidal actions may occur or recur”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tel...gya-camps/amp/
    Sounds like an open air prison.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not good. I condemn this.

However, I don't think they will be tortured or anything like the Chinese are doing. It is probably just to avoid unpleasant situations.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 28th September 2019 at 01:42.

LIONEL MESSI FAN

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest Bangladesh can not afford to take in so many people. It is a bit like how Pakistan can not keep taking in Afghan's.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad pakistan separated from Bangladesh.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rohingyas can leave Bangladesh if they don't like it. We are spending our resources to house them and feed them yet they complain.

Some of the Rohingyas were accused of killing a local politician. If you commit crime in Bangladesh (as an outsider), you will probably find it tough. It is not some naive first world country who will put up with nonsense; BD cops are quite brutal.

Rohingyas shouldn't try to take on law enforcement in BD. It is a foolish mistake. Solution is to follow all rules and not make troubles.

LIONEL MESSI FAN

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rohingyas can leave Bangladesh if they don't like it. We are spending our resources to house them and feed them yet they complain.

Some of the Rohingyas were accused of killing a local politician. If you commit crime in Bangladesh (as an outsider), you will probably find it tough. It is not some naive first world country who will put up with nonsense; BD cops are quite brutal.

Rohingyas shouldn't try to take on law enforcement in BD. It is a foolish mistake. Solution is to follow all rules and not make troubles.
    What a vile, xenophobic post.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Banning mobile phones just sounds like a convenient excuse to make life more difficult for refugees. I wouldn't be surprised it it has been done to prevent news getting out of police atrocities. This is similar to the phone ban in Kashmir where Indian troops are alleged to have inflicted widespread torture and other forms of brutality on the local population.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a vile, xenophobic post.
    Nothing vile about it. If they cause troubles, they will find it rough. It is not some European first world country. Refugees should follow all the laws and not cause problems. It is not a wise idea to take on ruling party or law enforcement; you are asking for trouble.

You wrote this post based on your UK perception. Bangladesh doesn't work like UK. We have our own laws.

Banning mobile phones just sounds like a convenient excuse to make life more difficult for refugees. I wouldn't be surprised it it has been done to prevent news getting out of police atrocities. This is similar to the phone ban in Kashmir where Indian troops are alleged to have inflicted widespread torture and other forms of brutality on the local population.
    The situation is not like Kashmir. We have housed them and fed them for almost 2 years.

If Rohingya doesn't like it, they can leave. We are not forcing them to stay. We are a third world country and our resources are limited.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 18th October 2019 at 21:20.

LIONEL MESSI FAN

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Nothing vile about it. If they cause troubles, they will find it rough. It is not some European first world country. Refugees should follow all the laws and not cause problems. It is not a wise idea to take on ruling party or law enforcement; you are asking for trouble.

You wrote this post based on your UK perception. Bangladesh doesn't work like UK. We have our own laws.

The situation is not like Kashmir. We have housed them and fed them for almost 2 years.

If Rohingya doesn't like it, they can leave. We are not forcing them to stay. We are a third world country and our resources are limited.
    Why does BD govt need to ban mobile phone use for refugees? By all means you can refuse entry if there is no room, but what has mobile phone use got to do with anything?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does BD govt need to ban mobile phone use for refugees? By all means you can refuse entry if there is no room, but what has mobile phone use got to do with anything?
    Please read the article again. Here is the quoted part:

'Positive impact'

Ikbal Hossain, a police spokesman, hailed the decision saying the refugees had been "abusing" mobile phone access to conduct criminal activities such as trafficking of methamphetamine pills, worth hundreds of millions of dollars, from Myanmar.

"It will definitely make a positive impact. I believe criminal activities will surely come down," he told the AFP.

Police also cited a string of criminal incidents as justification, including nearly 600 cases of drug trafficking, murders, robberies, gang fighting, and family feuds, since the refugees arrived.

Police also recently killed four Rohingya refugees while investigating the murder of a local ruling party official, Omar Faruk. Authorities have said Rohingya criminals are suspected to be behind the killing.

Faruk's murder led hundreds of furious locals to block a highway leading to a refugee camp for hours on August 22, burning tyres and vandalising shops visited by refugees.

In total, Bangladeshi security forces have shot dead a total of at least 34 Rohingya over the past two years, mostly for alleged methamphetamines trafficking.

Rohingya refugees have said the recent bloodshed has created an atmosphere of fear in the camp, where security has been tightened. Rights groups have accused Bangladesh police of extrajudicial killings.

Bangladesh has struggled with the massive influx of Rohingya, which has caused a financial strain on the country's already economically depressed south.

A repatriation agreement signed by Myanmar and Bangladesh in November 2017 has foundered, with several attempts scuttled amid resistance from Rohingya and condemnation from the international community.

LIONEL MESSI FAN

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You can package your bigoted views whichever way you like.

The stench of bigotry remains ever present.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can package your bigoted views whichever way you like.

The stench of bigotry remains ever present.
    First of all, I am not a bigot. I am glad BD sheltered them when nobody took them.

Second of all, I am a man of law and order. I don't like criminals and lawbreakers.

Third of all, not all refugees are as angelic as you claim to be. Our cops wouldn't just go after people for no reason.

Last of all, don't derail this thread with off-topic rants and personal insults.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 18th October 2019 at 21:50.

LIONEL MESSI FAN

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Please read the article again. Here is the quoted part:
    I did read the article, but if banning mobile phones is the way to stop criminal activity, why not do that for whole of Bangladesh? Are you seriously going to argue that only refugees use mobile phones for crime, and Bangladeshi passport home grown criminals don't?

If anything you can imagine that refugees need their mobiles more to keep in touch with stranded relatives on both sides of the border and in makeshift camps.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    First of all, I am not a bigot. I am glad BD sheltered them when nobody took them.

Second of all, I am a man of law and order.

Third of all, not all refugees are as angelic as you claim to be. Our cops wouldn't just go after people for no reason.

Last of all, don't derail this thread with off-topic rants and personal insults.
    Save your threats for those it will work on, little man.

Just because you say your cops (whilst sitting in Canada) wouldn’t do anything without cause is hardly justification.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 18th October 2019 at 22:19.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did read the article, but if banning mobile phones is the way to stop criminal activity, why not do that for whole of Bangladesh? Are you seriously going to argue that only refugees use mobile phones for crime, and Bangladeshi passport home grown criminals don't?

If anything you can imagine that refugees need their mobiles more to keep in touch with stranded relatives on both sides of the border and in makeshift camps.
    You have a point. But, there have been some problems and BD is simply trying to contain it.

I personally feel mobile service should be restored but that region needs to be monitored. Treat them well but be vigilant.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 18th October 2019 at 22:05.

LIONEL MESSI FAN

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You have a point. But, there have been some problems and BD is simply trying to contain it.
    Bangladesh is merely acting altruistically whilst the refugees are the culprits?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bangladesh is merely acting altruistically whilst the refugees are the culprits?
    Refugees are costing BD money. We have our own poor people and we can't afford millions of refugees. Maybe you should donate your whole life savings to Rohingya cause.

Also, they should not bite the hands that fed them for the past 2 years.

If they don't like it, they can leave.

We are going in circles. Give it a rest. Don't derail the thread.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 18th October 2019 at 22:12.

LIONEL MESSI FAN

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Refugees are costing BD money. We have our own poor people and we can't afford millions of refugees. Maybe you should donate your whole life savings to Rohingya cause.

Also, they should not bite the hands that fed them for the past 2 years.

If they don't like it, they can leave.

We are going in circles. Give it a rest. Don't derail the thread.
    Oh, now these refugees are biting the hand that feeds them? Excellent demonisation of the victims.

Leave and go where?
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 18th October 2019 at 22:19.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, now these refugees are biting the hand that feeds them? Excellent demonisation of the victims.

Leave and go where?
    Go where? That is something UN should figure out. We are being nice and keeping them despite our limitations.

UN should intervene and solve this problem. Wealthy Arab countries should take them and feed them; they have enough resources.

Your perception is based on first world viewpoint. Bangladesh is not first world. Things work differently over there which you are not understanding.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 18th October 2019 at 22:22.

LIONEL MESSI FAN

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Go where? That is something UN should figure out. We are being nice and keeping them despite our limitations.

UN should intervene and solve this problem. Wealthy Arab countries should take them and feed them; they have enough resources.

Your perception is based on first world viewpoint. Bangladesh is not first world. Things work differently over there which you are not understanding.
    I have a far greater understanding than you could ever imagine.

Look at the language you have used when referring to the refugees and the language you have used whilst referring to the Bangladeshi establishment.

How gracious of you to act “nice” to these evil cretins that are facing a genocide.

All this talk of ummah and brotherhood being exposed for what it really is.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasina never forcefully mentions that Rohingya should be safely relocated back to Myanmar, nor does she ask other Muslim leaders to advocate it on their behalf at every opportunity.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When middle east can employ millions of South Indians, why cannot they employ Rohingyas for the same positions? It will be win-win for both. Rohingyas will find a good place to live and Sheikhs get cheap labor.

Middle east nations like UAE, Qatar, Saudi, Oman etc should be able to take on a million of these unfortunate people. Perhaps Pakistan can also pitch in and take a few thousand of them.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second of all, I am a man of law and order. I don't like criminals and lawbreakers.

What sounds disconcerting in your argument is that you seem (correct me if I'm wrong) to support punishing the many for the crimes of a few.

How can anyone support banning mobile phones for everyone when presumably the percentage of criminals misusing phones are less than a fraction of a per cent? Or do you believe that they're all criminals?

How would you feel is Bangladeshis in Canada were targeted the same way?

Of course Bangladesh needs to be recognised for having housed the Rohingyas till now. I also understand this is a massive and complex problem.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryin Out Loud View Post
    What sounds disconcerting in your argument is that you seem (correct me if I'm wrong) to support punishing the many for the crimes of a few.

How can anyone support banning mobile phones for everyone when presumably the percentage of criminals misusing phones are less than a fraction of a per cent? Or do you believe that they're all criminals?

How would you feel is Bangladeshis in Canada were targeted the same way?

Of course Bangladesh needs to be recognised for having housed the Rohingyas till now. I also understand this is a massive and complex problem.
    I want mobile service to be restored. But, the troublemakers need to be dealt with. If they don't want to change, they should be sent back to Myanmar (troublemakers only).

Good and law-abiding refugees should be treated nicely.

LIONEL MESSI FAN