Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    390 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Misbah-ul-Haq appointed as Head Coach and Chairman of Selectors; Waqar Younis named bowling coach

Former captain peaked to No.1 in ICC T20I batting rankings and also climbed to sixth in ICC Test and seventh in ICC ODI Rankings during his 16-year international career

Was a member of the side that clinched the ICC T20 World Cup 2009; featured in the semi-final and quarter-final of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cups 2011 and 2015, respectively; captained Pakistan to the top of the world in Test cricket in 2016 for which he also won the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award

Waqar Younis also confirmed as bowling coach on a three-year contract

Misbah-ul-Haq’s photo-call will take place in front of Far End, Gaddafi Stadium, at 2pm; press conference will take place at 215pm
    Urdu version is attached. To download click here

Lahore, 4 September 2019: Former captain Misbah-ul-Haq was today confirmed as Pakistan men’s national team head coach in all three formats on a three-year contract.

In line with the PCB’s commitment to ensure transparency, accountability and role clarity at all levels, Misbah was also named as the Chairman of Selectors with head coaches of the six first-class Cricket Association sides as his fellow selectors.

Misbah was a unanimous choice of a five-member panel that comprised Intikhab Alam (former captain and the longest serving Pakistan team manager and coach), Bazid Khan (former international cricketer and one of the most respected commentators), Asad Ali Khan (member, Board of Governors), Wasim Khan (Chief Executive, PCB) and Zakir Khan (Director – International Cricket, PCB) following a robust recruitment process.

On the recommendation of Misbah, the PCB also named two-time former head coach and ICC Cricket Hall of Famer Waqar Younis as bowling coach of the national side on a three-year contract.

Both the national team appointments were approved by the PCB Chairman Mr Ehsan Mani.

The first assignment of Misbah-Waqar combination will be the upcoming three ODI and three T20I home series against Sri Lanka, which will be played from 27 September to 9 October. The duo’s first series in the World Test Championship will be in Australia when Pakistan will play in Brisbane (21-25 November), followed by a day/night Test in Adelaide (29 November-3 December).

Misbah and Waqar have previously worked as a pair from May 2014 to April 2016 with the former as captain and the latter as head coach.

The 45-year-old Misbah, who retired from international cricket in May 2017, said: “It is very humbling for me to join a select group of some of the very best to have coached the Pakistan national sides in the past. It is an honour and more than that, a massive responsibility as we live and breathe cricket.

“I know expectations are high, but I am absolutely ready and up for the task otherwise I would not have thrown my name in the hat for one of the most challenging and coveted roles in Pakistan cricket.

“We have some of the most talented and exciting cricketers, and I will like to help them train and prepare in such a way that they can play intelligently, smartly and fearlessly. I am aware this will require a change in the dressing room culture but if we have to compete consistently at the highest level, we have to embrace these modern day requirements.

“We need to understand this is a performance-oriented world and only those Pakistan players have thrived in the past who have taken the pride in donning the star and crest on their chests by delivering every time they have stepped on to the field.

“That’s the way I have played my cricket all through my career and this will not change in my new role.

“I am excited to once again have someone as experienced and knowledgeable as Waqar Younis in my corner as a bowling coach. We have exciting young fast bowlers in our ranks and there is no better person than Waqar to transform them into modern day stars.

“Both Waqar and I had a candid and frank discussion and we discussed and agreed on a number of things, including roles and responsibilities as well as how to take things forward.

“As I prepare to begin a new phase in my career, I want to thank my family, friends, former team-mates, the PCB and my club, departmental and franchise sides for supporting me in my journey.”

PCB Chief Executive Wasim Khan said: “We are delighted to have someone of Misbah-ul-Haq’s leadership, skill and stature taking on the responsibility of our national team. At the same time, I want to thank all the local and foreign candidates who offered their services, but the panel unanimously put their weight behind Misbah as it believed he was a perfect fit for the dual assignments due to his understanding, knowledge and demands of Pakistan cricket across all the three formats of the game.

“The concept of a head coach also being a chief selector is an innovative one and a new introduction to our system. But, while the PCB has further empowered Misbah, it has also put more responsibility on his shoulders as he will now be solely responsible and accountable for his side’s performances. As always, PCB checks and balances will remain.

“Furthermore, it strategically integrates nicely with our revamped domestic structure where the six head coaches of the first-class sides will also be the selectors. They will provide regular feedback and updates to Misbah on the local players that will assist him in his preparations and planning. Besides, this will also ensure meritocracy in team selections and more onus on the head coaches for their assessments.

“Exciting times are ahead for the national cricket team, which will feature in the World Test Championship, Asia Cup T20 in 2020 and back-to-back ICC T20 World Cups in 2020 and 2021. The PCB has no doubts that under Misbah’s vision and guidance, the team will perform strongly and will succeed in transforming our talented players into world-class performers.”

Background on Misbah-ul-Haq:

As a player:

In ICC Player Rankings for Test Batsmen, his peak position was sixth in October 2013
    In ICC Player Rankings for ODI Batsmen, his peak position was seventh in July 2013
    In ICC Player Rankings for T20I Batsmen, he reached number-one in April 2008, and stayed there for 313 days
    Struck the fastest half-century in Test history off just 21 balls against Australia in Abu Dhabi in 2014
    Equalled the then fastest Test century world record by reaching his century from just 56 balls in the same innings
    Only player to make three scores of 99 in Test cricket
    Scored most ODI runs without a century (5,122), hitting 42 half-centuries in the process
    Played in three ICC T20 World Cups and was part of the 2009 victorious team
    Played in the ICC Cricket World Cups 2011 and 2015, scoring a total of 598 runs at an average of 49.83
    Feats he achieved:

Captained the Pakistan national team in 56 Tests – more than anyone else
    Only captain to lead Pakistan to Test series victory in the West Indies
    Won 26 Tests as captain, more than any other Pakistan captain; lost 19 and drew 11
    Led Pakistan to the number-one position in the ICC Test Championship in 2016 and held that position for two months
    Captained in eight T20Is, winning six and losing two
    Captained in 87 ODIs, winning 45 and losing 39 with two tied and one no-result
    Won the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award in 2016 “for inspiring his side to play the game in its true spirit, at the same time lifting the Pakistan cricket team from number four to number one on the ICC Test team rankings. Remarkably, this was achieved without playing any Test matches in his home country”
    Captained Islamabad United to their first HBL PSL title in 2016

https://www.pcb.com.pk/press-release...-selector.html
    Last edited by MenInG; 4th September 2019 at 12:16.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Congrats Misbah and Waqar

Debut
    Feb 2008
    Venue
    Sharjah ,UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dean Jones ?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hmm. Will anyone take this to court arguing the conflict of interest given that Misbah was on the same committee which fired Mickey Arthur?

I wonder how does Mickey Arthur feel about this?

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to Misbah and Waqar.

Let’s hope these guys produce some good work!

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give misbah the batting coach role as well. All these positions require zero experience or trainings apparently.

Very dissappointed.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    390 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Hmm. Will anyone take this to court arguing the conflict of interest given that Misbah was on the same committee which fired Mickey Arthur?

I wonder how does Mickey Arthur feel about this?
    I think Misbah also has another slight conflict of interest, having only recently retired, he personally knows almost all of the players.

Interesting times ahead, but I think picking Waqar ahead of someone as good as Ian Pont is a huge blunder.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good bye Pakistan cricket

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent Newa .Congrulations to both misbah and waqar .They have very good understanding in the past hopefully they do revive pakistan test team which need alot of work

On a side note they have not given chief selector role to mohsin hasan khan which is also great news

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    My other question is that is it wise for the chief selector to be so close to the players and being constantly communicating with the players? Is this not another conflict of interest?

How will Misbah be able to watch the domestic players and games given that he will be heavily involved with the national side as coach?

Didn't Waqar in his 2015-2016 report to the PCB make the same point against Moin Khan that his appointment as the Chief Selector and Manager of the team created a huge culture of insecurity, fear, buttering where the players went out of their way to score brownie points with him out of fear of losing their spots in the team? Why is Waqar agreeing to the same policy now?

Lol always knew to take Waqar with a pinch of salt. He knows Misbah is his blue eyed boy.

So now the two individuals who played a massive role in appointing Azhar Ali as our ODI skipper from 2015-16 are now back in charge of Pakistan Cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal is delighted!

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you select Waqar over Ian Pont?
    I don't think any quality international coach will want to apply for any job in the PCB anymore.
    Last edited by Danyaalr01; 4th September 2019 at 12:31.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shafiq and Azhar Ali have just extended their careers by an extra 3 years. Disgusting conflict of interest to begin with

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My other question is that is it wise for the chief selector to be so close to the players and being constantly communicating with the players? Is this not another conflict of interest?

How will Misbah be able to watch the domestic players and games given that he will be heavily involved with the national side as coach?

Didn't Waqar in his 2015-2016 report to the PCB make the same point against Moin Khan that his appointment as the Chief Selector and Manager of the team created a huge culture of insecurity, fear, buttering where the players went out of their way to score brownie points with him out of fear of losing their spots in the team? Why is Waqar agreeing to the same policy now?

Lol always knew to take Waqar with a pinch of salt. He knows Misbah is his blue eyed boy.

So now the two individuals who played a massive role in appointing Azhar Ali as our ODI skipper from 2015-16 are now back in charge of Pakistan Cricket.
    Valid point

Being a CS and head coach can create problems within the squad

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danyaalr01 View Post
    Why would you select Waqar over Ian Pont?
    I don't think any quality international coach will want to apply for any job in the PCB anymore.
    what is so special about Ian pont?Last time i checked he was removed from quetta gladitor team in which he was replaced with abdul razzaq .

As much i despise waqar younis as head coach he is very good bowling coach where every young fast bowler will be dream to work with him

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great News

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the best choice of coaches in my opinion, but...

I love the idea of combining Head Coach and Chief Selector roles in one. What a great initiative. Full accountability for results now lies with head coach - especially in the absence of an outright winning captain.

This alone should lead to an entirely new performance culture.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Misbah, but the scenario in which he became the coach/selector is disgusting.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4656 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    @MMHS your opinion

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had hope with this new management. I guess its gone now. This whole episode feels like a joke. Why did PCB put in experience of 2 to 3 years of couching in there requirements if they were gonna pick a dude who does not have it?

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This takes me back to the day Misbah was appointed team captain.

Rank outsider if an objective assessment is made. Doesn't have the required coaching experience, was on the cricket committee that sacked Mickey etc etc. Yet PCB defy all logic and appoint him.

Misbah went on to become Pakistan's most successful captain, ever. Although this is an entirely different challenge, I wouldn't put it past him to do the same as coach. One things for sure - this will end in tears or utter joy, there won't be any middle ground. Fasten your seatbelts and get ready for the next unpredictable instalment of the sport that calls itself Pakistani cricket.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    The Dark Side
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We’ve seen pathetic footballers become good coaches.

What makes you believe Misbah will implement defensive tactics?

Still in doubt? Read this quote from him:

“We have some of the most talented and exciting cricketers, and I will like to help them train and prepare in such a way that they can play intelligently, smartly and fearlessly" :

Note the term fearlessly. He knows how the game works. Misbah is a smart and fair man.

I’ve had enough of wrist slitters - Wasim Khan has brought in a whole new structure in terms of domestic - and Misbah has always been vocal about domestic cricket & has not been shy of giving youngsters a chance.

I am positive and I look forward to Misbah. With Waqar’s assistance - our fitness will be top notch too.

Congratulations to them both. Now can we ALL support the cricket team. Its a new era.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    The Dark Side
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo_14 View Post
    We’ve seen pathetic footballers become good coaches.

What makes you believe Misbah will implement defensive tactics?

Still in doubt? Read this quote from him:

“We have some of the most talented and exciting cricketers, and I will like to help them train and prepare in such a way that they can play intelligently, smartly and fearlessly" :

Note the term fearlessly. He knows how the game works. Misbah is a smart and fair man.

I’ve had enough of wrist slitters - Wasim Khan has brought in a whole new structure in terms of domestic - and Misbah has always been vocal about domestic cricket & has not been shy of giving youngsters a chance.

I am positive and I look forward to Misbah. With Waqar’s assistance - our fitness will be top notch too.

Congratulations to them both. Now can we ALL support the cricket team. Its a new era.
    Also, you need to look at the bigger picture.

Misbah knows the domestic in side out. He is close to the PCB. He has been given the autonomy as the chief selector.

In the first year you will see names of TTF’s but that was also the case in IPL and PSL; slowly age will get to them (Azhar Ali+Asad); after 18 months expect new players to come in.

Look at the bigger picture. This requires patience. Implementation first, then we shall see results. Trust the process.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    what is so special about Ian pont?Last time i checked he was removed from quetta gladitor team in which he was replaced with abdul razzaq .

As much i despise waqar younis as head coach he is very good bowling coach where every young fast bowler will be dream to work with him
    I understand that Waqar is a decent bowling coach, but Ian Pont is supposed to one of the elite fast bowling coaches who understands the biomechanics of fast bowling.

It is the appointment of Misbah that is the most worrying. He has absolutely no experience, and he has too many friends playing cricket in Pakistan right now.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Expect to see zulfi baba, Rahat Ali, Imran Khan snr back in the test side.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The problem with Misbah policy is that he prefer ready made players over nurturing young ones so experienced domestic players are in for a treat.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

oh bhai

The iissue with moin was, he was team manager. He should had not been allowed to choose playing 11. Team managers job is to make sure hte kits are provided and keeping discipline.

Second, if you read player interviews there biggest problem is not being able to communicate with the selector.
    Selector and player communication is important, and no this doesnt affect selection.

Look at Misbahs SNGPL, it is the best example out there

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhammad saad View Post
    Expect to see zulfi baba, Rahat Ali, Imran Khan snr back in the test side.
    Having Rahat back is great.
    Again, you guys dont look at the cricketers talent, you just look at age and face and thats it.

You guys will prefer a good looking Kamran Ghulam instead of good talent like Rahat Ali.

Rahat Ali is one the best bowlers inn Pakistan who can use a wrist to generate seam.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    oh bhai

The iissue with moin was, he was team manager. He should had not been allowed to choose playing 11. Team managers job is to make sure hte kits are provided and keeping discipline.

Second, if you read player interviews there biggest problem is not being able to communicate with the selector.
    Selector and player communication is important, and no this doesnt affect selection.

Look at Misbahs SNGPL, it is the best example out there
    I am sorry but this is complete bullocks and is clearly biased to defend Misbah in a blatant conflict of interest situation.

Firstly Moin being a highly experienced ex test cricketer was perfectly justified in giving his views on team selection vs a non Cricketing manager.

Sure the CS and Selectors can talk to the players on and off but not every day and put themselves in a situation where they will not be viewed as independent.

Independence is not just about being independent in fact but also about being perceived to be independent by others. It does not matter if the CS is independent, if all stakeholders feel he is not independent he has got a problem.

As far as Waqar is concerned, he has a history of being shown up as a double faced hypocritical drama queen

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I am sorry but this is complete bullocks and is clearly biased to defend Misbah in a blatant conflict of interest situation.

Firstly Moin being a highly experienced ex test cricketer was perfectly justified in giving his views on team selection vs a non Cricketing manager.

Sure the CS and Selectors can talk to the players on and off but not every day and put themselves in a situation where they will not be viewed as independent.

Independence is not just about being independent in fact but also about being perceived to be independent by others. It does not matter if the CS is independent, if all stakeholders feel he is not independent he has got a problem.

As far as Waqar is concerned, he has a history of being shown up as a double faced hypocritical drama queen

bro, you clearly dont understand roles.

TO hell with experince or to test cricketer. A team Manager's job description DOES NOT say that he will decide the playing 11.
    A team manager is concern with providing kits, looking after hotel bookings and keeping hte curfeew in check.

The guy ended up breaking curfew himself.

Also, go take a lok at SNGPL and IU selections.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

bro, you clearly dont understand roles.

TO hell with experince or to test cricketer. A team Manager's job description DOES NOT say that he will decide the playing 11.
    A team manager is concern with providing kits, looking after hotel bookings and keeping hte curfeew in check.

The guy ended up breaking curfew himself.

Also, go take a lok at SNGPL and IU selections.
    In the past, if the team manager was an experienced ex test cricketer, his views were considered when deciding on the playing eleven. The team manager is considered part of the team management.

Also what right does a head coach have to select the squad of 15-20 for a tour?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In the past, if the team manager was an experienced ex test cricketer, his views were considered when deciding on the playing eleven. The team manager is considered part of the team management.

Also what right does a head coach have to select the squad of 15-20 for a tour?
    again, you are just not bothering to understand.

You are older than me and im surprised you dont know about job descriptions

For selection, there is a captain and the coaches.

Team manager in cricket are the people who are concerned with providing the kits, making sure that the hotel arrangements are in place,and also making sure there is discipline in place off the field.

He is like the leader of the bunch but off the field. On the field its the captains charge. Team managers cannot have a say in the team selection. It is not in their job description.

DOesnt matter if he is a ex test player or whatever he is. Infact, such people shouldnt be hired as they try too use their influence. Such people can be told to get out of the room from a meeting, unless they use sifarish to get into the team management.

Lol Head coach not hacing his say?

Bro, do you play sports or ever played sports?

A head coach is the one that works with the players and knows which player is good and which is not. WHo has improved and hwo hasn't improved.

In the past job descriptions, the head coach was allowed to give his input in the squad selections along iwht the captain, but the final decision was with cheif selector.

Now the job description is better. Head coach should be selector, so that at the end blame is not shifted.

The WOrld cup 2019 squad selection was the reason behind Inzamam and Mickey dismissal.
    Mickey wanted fitness in placee, Inzamam kept selecting unfit players like Wahab and dropped performer like Usman Shinwari.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1985 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

But isn’t the Captain the Coach’s boss?

I am completely bemused by the PCB’s decision to combine the roles of Head Coach and Chief Selector.

I will put aside temporarily the issues of Misbah’s Conflict of Interest (he sacked Mickey Arthur) and his lack of experience in either role.

But as Ian Chappell keeps reminding us, the Coach is the servant of the Captain and serves only as long as the skipper wants him.

That’s why so many coaches down the years have learned to shut up and do what the captain tells them to do - Mike Hesson’s subservience to Brendan McCullum being a key example.

It’s also why Peter Moores got the bullet as soon as KP no longer wanted him as coach.

So how does it work in Pakistan? The Captain should always be able to tell the Coach to shut up and butt out, but the same Coach is going to be the Chief Selector.

Has anybody thought this through?

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Horrific decision!

Also, add in the fact there was a massive conflict of interest, but I'm not surprised considering this is the pcb.

Micky>>>>>>>>>>> misbah

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I am completely bemused by the PCB’s decision to combine the roles of Head Coach and Chief Selector.

I will put aside temporarily the issues of Misbah’s Conflict of Interest (he sacked Mickey Arthur) and his lack of experience in either role.

But as Ian Chappell keeps reminding us, the Coach is the servant of the Captain and serves only as long as the skipper wants him.

That’s why so many coaches down the years have learned to shut up and do what the captain tells them to do - Mike Hesson’s subservience to Brendan McCullum being a key example.

It’s also why Peter Moores got the bullet as soon as KP no longer wanted him as coach.

So how does it work in Pakistan? The Captain should always be able to tell the Coach to shut up and butt out, but the same Coach is going to be the Chief Selector.

Has anybody thought this through?
    Yes that's what I thought, captain is the leader on and off the pitch, basically misbah with his dual role could empower the captain in selection meetings, a real test of egos lie ahead

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Pakistan is the only cricket country where the coach demands more powers than the captain

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Jeddah, Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As if the WC19 heartbreak wasn't enough already, here's another terrible news.

Atrocious, pathetic, horrendous...... I'm running out of adjectives.

Does NO ONE in the PCB remember 2015 WC when these 2 jokers were Captain and Coach of our team???
    Just one look at that squad was enough to write them off as incompetent.

Youngsters (17-23 yrs old) can forget about getting a debut now.

Is it still acceptable for us to see TTFs like Umar Amin, Ehsan Adil, Rahat Ali, Irfan, Imran Khan jnr., Zulfiqar Babar, Ahmed Shehzad etc to make yet another comeback in the team.

Even if we ignore all of that; what about the huuuuge conflicts of interest.

1. Misbah recently retired hence half of the team are literally his pals
    2. Misbah was on the commitee that removed Mickey Arthur (the guy who brought a fitness culture in the team and improved our fielding and batting leaps and bounds)
    3. Any arguments/disagreements with the head coach will basically mean non-selection in the squad hence every guy will try to please Misbah.

Thoughts?
    @Junaids @MMHS @MenInG @Syed1

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Why PCB took 1.5 months plus advertisement drama to announce that if they were already made up their mind back then?
    Now Misbah will kick out younger players and introduce experience failure players like Azhar, Salman, Umar, Kamran, Gul, Zulfi baba...
    Torrid time ahead for Imam, Fakhar, Babar/Haris, Afridi, Sadab....

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    misbah just pulled a coup

"but but vut about da pundits?!?!?!?!?!"

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much for the new chief exec, same crony as the old ones! Misbah who played 1 day cricket from the 80’s in charge of odi’s great job, test’s fair enough, but chief selector?! This also guarantees Mohammed hafiz will be in the odi side till he’s 90! I didn’t think we’d go back to the dark ages?! You couldn’t make it up!

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Again, you guys dont look at the cricketers talent, you just look at age and face and thats it.

You guys will prefer a good looking Kamran Ghulam instead of good talent like Rahat Ali.

Rahat Ali is one the best bowlers inn Pakistan who can use a wrist to generate seam.
    Congrats bro, now loosing to even Afghanistan will not be any problem as long as your favorite players are either in coaching or get selected.
    Misbah is new so we can afford to be even in n0. 10 in every format.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From the worst ODI batsman to the head coach of the side. This is Pakistan cricket!!

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Also Shakil Ansari can replace Sarfraz, Azhar Ali to Imam, Salman Butt to Fakhar, Gul to Afridi, Rahat to Amir, Umar to Haris, Zulfi to Sadab........, Farhat will replace Babar as well
    Wow we will be very experience team for sure in 2023 World Cup.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a great idea to combine selector and head coach role.

If you look at at international football for example the managers task is to select the players and then coach them.

We're going to be trend setters in cricket with this policy mark my words.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Please select Faisal Iqbal as batting coach as well. We need all desi coaches so loosing will not be be a matter anymore.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn’t matter who is appointed Pakistan coach there will always be criticism, so that doesn’t surprise me.

Only time will tell if this strategy is successful but I am pleased that after seeing many illogical decisions in the past, at least this is a bold decision and offers something different - a recently retired player who is respected by all, and the coach is fully accountable for his team now, he can no longer complain that the selectors did not give players of his choice, and secondly as we have seen Misbah has a great temperament , emotionally intelligent and educated individual who builds good relationships with everyone , and keeps away from conflict. He will use the wealth of experience of Waqar Younis as a player and coach, and no doubt he will try to bring some method and strategy to Pakistan cricket - that can only be a good thing.

Also a good move to make the coaches of domestic teams part of the selection panel.

"Lack of Form is Temporary, Lack of Class is Permanent" -- dedicated to The Honorable Professor.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let's see how this turns out. Still cannot believe Sarfraz is still the captain. An absolute joke.

Sarfraz fans can't run behind Mickey,Inzi,Azhar,and Grant now. Misbah and Waqar can't be judged for the first few series. Best captain since IK needs to step up now.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Let's see how this turns out. Still cannot believe Sarfraz is still the captain. An absolute joke.

Sarfraz fans can't run behind Mickey,Inzi,Azhar,and Grant now. Misbah and Waqar can't be judged for the first few series. Best captain since IK needs to step up now.
    Azhar Ali will replace Sarfraz.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    The first mistake made by Wasim Khan & Ehsan Mani.

Misbah gets hired with no coaching experience and a significant conflict of interest. Hilarious decision.

On a brighter note, I do like the combined role (coach + selector) as it ensures Misbah has nowhere to hide. Everything comes back to him whether it's good or bad in terms of squad selections.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeedhk View Post
    From the worst ODI batsman to the head coach of the side. This is Pakistan cricket!!
    How the two positions related?

Even if we are to accept that Misbah was indeed the worst ODI batsman ever among all countries and of all times, how is that related to his coaching assignment?

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Misbha ul Haq Niazi a relative of PM Imran Khan Niazi. It was inevitable.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Congratulations.

Quite the upgrade over Arthur

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    The first mistake made by Wasim Khan & Ehsan Mani.

Misbah gets hired with no coaching experience and a significant conflict of interest. Hilarious decision.

On a brighter note, I do like the combined role (coach + selector) as it ensures Misbah has nowhere to hide. Everything comes back to him whether it's good or bad in terms of squad selections.
    Don't think there will be that much pressure on Misbah to perform. He is not a foreign coach after all. He has back up from formers, PCB and media. All will justify the loses with some sort of excuse. He will be there until 2023 World Cup without much headache regardless team performance.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

My first post here, so thought I'd give an observation on Misbah and Waqar's appointments.

A lot of people are down on these appointments, but we should remember that very few people actually applied for the roles. The PCB had two choices, a) choose between the existing applicants or b) try and head hunt somebody who hadn't applied i.e. Mike Hesson/Tom Moody etc. b) would have been a no-goer, because if Hesson or Moody havent applied, then they are not interested in the job. Also these guys would be reluctant to spend considerable time in Pakistan, which is essential to the role. Thus, no point moaning about who didn't apply.

Which leads us to a), the people who DID apply. Clearly a lot of people on here suddenly feel that Dean Jones was a viable candidate. His main attraction was that he was NOT Misbah. How is that a feasible choice for a long term appointment? The guy would struggle especially with squad members who don't speak english etc.

As regards Misbah, yes he did have select off days as captain like on the last Australian tour ( as @Junaids will repeatedly harp on about). However, there are elements to why I think this is potentially a very good appointment:

1) The guy was selected late in his career and made the most of his limited ability. this demonstrates a willingness to improve. Perhaps with the same attitude he will help improve some of the current squad, through the sheer example he set in his playing days

2) He has very recently been involved in domestic cricket and will know the good performers from the mediocre ones. He recently worked with Rashid Latif to choose the provincial squads, which even the negative people here on PP found to be largely acceptable. Thus, he has visibility of excellent domestic performers. Hopefully, the new system will mean that the TTFs will now face more potent attacks in first class cricket (because of the higher quality squads), not perform and then get weeded out, whilst the really good, mentally strong ones will emerge, and Misbah will have an eye on them as chief Selector

3) He was very recently in the captaincy position, so understands the pressures of the job. This is a vital quality to have and for a captain to rely on, when things are not going well. Let us not forget that Misbah showed tremendous fortitude and mental strength whilst being criticised by fans, ex-players and media from all sides. This experience and knowledge is something that a captain can rely on in difficult times. This, especially becomes important if we have a change of captain, with a new captain coming in for one of the formats

4) Despite the negativity around his tactics, it should be noted that he never had the fast bowling or batting resources to truly make the test team formidable. I am hopeful that, with the new structure, there will be better communication between the chief selector and the provincial head coaches, which means that we will see better 'test-ready' performers coming into the squad.

5) Lastly, it is his qualities as a man. I know that people will point towards the conflict of interest regarding Mickey's sacking. I can't disagree with this. However media reports today have suggested that it was actually the PCB who sought Misbah for the role. Allah knows if there was malice from Misbah, but I'd rather give him the benefit of the the doubt. This is a guy, who after the spot fixing scandal represented Pakistan as a statesman. He's a mentally strong guy who made the most of his limited abilities and he commands respect in the dressing room. This will help everybody to pull in the same direction, something which hasn't always happened in Pakistan cricket

Please note that I am absolutely not a Misbah loyalist, but think that his abilities as a player should not reflect his prospective abilities as a coach. Trevor Bayliss was not some sure thing when Sri Lanka made hime coach in 2007. Thus, as fans of Pakistan Cricket let's back this appointment and inshAllah it will be a great success!

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just hoping we atleast start winning in UAE again.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So when will the batting and fielding coach be announced? And who are the top candidates for the batting coach? Also, this is unlikely, but I really hope hey can get Mushtaq Ahmed for the spin bowling coach

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal Ahmad15 View Post
    So when will the batting and fielding coach be announced? And who are the top candidates for the batting coach? Also, this is unlikely, but I really hope hey can get Mushtaq Ahmed for the spin bowling coach
    Faisal Iqbal as batting coach, fielding coach will also be a desi as demands from formers.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP Pakistan cricket. Days of depressive and defensive cricket are back. Oldies and FFTs will be the kings.

Misbah, coach and chief selector, like Pakistan has not produced any cricketer in 72 years other than Misbah, disappointing move by PCB.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakistan's Decline to Minnow Status Incoming.

Wasim Khan isn't the saviour we hoped for.
    Last edited by topspin; 4th September 2019 at 15:48.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    RIP Pakistan cricket. Days of depressive and defensive cricket are back. Oldies and FFTs will be the kings.

Misbah, coach and chief selector, like Pakistan has not produced any cricketer in 72 years other than Misbah, disappointing move by PCB.
    We also don't need any batting/fielding coach either. You cannot improve fielding/batting qualities of 35+ players

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post

Precisely this. His lack of cricketing intelligence and outdated approach will be further exposed very soon.

Misbah's loyalists will have nowhere to hide, once his tenure comes to an end.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He is the batting coach as well unless they appoint a batting coach

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waqar finally gets the role he should’ve had in the first place as for Misbah the jury is out especially with the dual role , best of luck to both & PCB..

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This is going to be an absolute disaster.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Waqar-Misbah combo again

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Name:  EDnGEylXYAEhxzI.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  19.2 KB

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit i am quite apprehensive at this duo.Not that we had any world class alternates though.Hoping against hope to see some improvement however best to keep the expectations on the lower side.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post

Name:  EDnGEylXYAEhxzI.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  19.2 KB
    Name:  123.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  93.6 KB

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hussain.r97 View Post
    I think Misbah also has another slight conflict of interest, having only recently retired, he personally knows almost all of the players.

Interesting times ahead, but I think picking Waqar ahead of someone as good as Ian Pont is a huge blunder.
    Lol Ian pont is a scam artist. Ask KP

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah once again will be running the one man show again.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Congrats Misbah and Waqar.

People need to give Misbah a chance. This could be good for Pakistan cricket and I am glad that the coach is also the chief selector, just like it works in football. This way he should take the the whole reaponsibility.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bcci had done a ridiculous job in appointing the coach a month ago, and pcb gone a step further.

Debut
    Apr 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    chairman PCB 2020

Credentials

1. Quiet
    2. submissive
    3.agreeable
    4. well educated (MBA)
    5. Beard in Nia Pakistan is plus point

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats to Misbah and Waqar.

Wish them luck for their tenure.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Im prepared to give him a clean slate. The fact he has so much power is both exciting and scary.

However this excitment will die if see the likes Asad shafiq being back in ODIs

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to the days of Azhar, Shafiq, Shehzad, Hafeez, Akmal, Maqsood, Amin and a long list of failures in Pakistan team.

Misbah was the king of Tests in UAE and in next 3 years, this will be the only achievement for Pakistan team - Unbeatable in tests in UAE. I will be happy if Pakistan team achieve more than this in Misbah - Waqar era.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Am sure Sarfaraz, Asad and Azhar cant wait for there continual free ride in side now that Misbah/waqar are in charge.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanigoneaussie View Post
    Im prepared to give him a clean slate. The fact he has so much power is both exciting and scary.

However this excitment will die if see the likes Asad shafiq being back in ODIs
    Personally I dont mind seeing anybody in the team and out of but management needs to produce results with their decisions and we actually need to win anything as the drought created by Mickey in which I dont remember when we last won an ODI or a test series (Yes one against Aus) has been for far too long.