Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ashes 2010s

This has been a topsy turvy decade for test cricket's greatest continued series. The 2011 tour of Australia, which produced English cricket's greatest test moment (imho anyway) of the century, was the last time the series was played anywhere near a high enough level in this format. However, the low quality has produced some highly entertaining passages of play and every now and then, you find a little gem, such as Smith's doggedness or Archer's fire.

So, how about XIs for England and Australia, consisting of their best Ashes performers in this decade?

England -

1. A. Cook
    2. A. Strauss c
    3. J. Root
    4. K. Pietersen
    5. I. Bell
    6. M. Prior wk
    7. B. Stokes
    8. S. Broad
    9. G. Swann
    10. S. Finn
    11. J. Anderson

Strauss makes it in for his captaincy alone, Root, KP and Bell all promised so much but never quite delivered this decade in Ashes series, although KPs double in one of the best innings you'll see against Aus. Then of course there is the bowling line up. Broady and Jimmy pick themselves but it is sad that Finn, who looked so good was treated so bad. His performances were still above average and his pace very good.

Stokes and Prior are necessities while Swann had his ups and downs but there has been no better spinner for England.

Australia -

1. D. Warner
    2. C. Rogers
    3. M. Clarke c
    4. S. Smith
    5. S. Marsh
    6. B Haddin wk
    7. M. Johnson
    8. M. Starc
    9. N. Lyon
    10. J. Hazlewood
    11. P. Cummins

Clarke finds his place due to his astute captaincy but just look at that batting line up...apart from Smith that is a rag tag group of batters. Yes Rogers was good over a short period and Warner has had his moments but compare it to just 3 years earlier...such a difference.

The bowling however has serious bite and has really dug into England, with Johnson's menace, Starcs reverse and the consistency of Cummins and Hazlewood. Lyon is there as a solid spinner who can shore up one ends if not taking wickets.

I would edge the England XI 9/10.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    England have had the better decade in my view. Although Australia were imperious at home in 2013-14 and 2017-18, the thrashing on home soil in 2010-2011 was a humiliation for the ages.

Three innings defeats in 5 Tests, that too at home. It doesnít get worse than that.

England have had shaky moments at home but they have done enough to not lose a series.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Honestly the ashes is what made me fall in love with test cricket, it also consistently produces the most entertaining test match cricket.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A combined decade XI would be:-

Cook
    Rogers
    Smith
    KP
    Clarke(c)
    Stokes
    Haddin(wkt)
    Cummins
    Johnson
    Lyon
    Broad

Anderson misses out as Cummins, Broad and Johnson were three top picks. Root also missed out, Stokes gets in.

Smith, Cook, KP and Clarke are the obvious picks. I see 7 names from Australia.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post

Cook
    Rogers
    Smith
    KP
    Clarke(c)
    Stokes
    Haddin(wkt)
    Cummins
    Johnson
    Lyon
    Broad

Anderson misses out as Cummins, Broad and Johnson were three top picks. Root also missed out, Stokes gets in.

did you forget about Ryan Harris.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cook
    Rogers
    Smith
    KP
    Clarke(c)
    Stokes
    Haddin(wkt)
    Cummins
    Johnson
    Lyon
    Broad

That is a good stab but why would Clarke be an obvious pick? Or do you mean simply down to his captaincy? Which is why I had him in the Aussie XI too.

Can't really argue with the rest of that mix up.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post
    That is a good stab but why would Clarke be an obvious pick? Or do you mean simply down to his captaincy? Which is why I had him in the Aussie XI too.

Can't really argue with the rest of that mix up.
    Captaincy as well as batting. Australian team, led by Clarke, demolished England 5-0 at home. Very few can do this. He also has some failures but has got several hundreds and fared well in the Ashes. All factors into consideration, he is more likely to make it than a Bell or Root.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    did you forget about Ryan Harris.
    He was very good too but I will go with Broad, Johnson (due to that peak) and Cummins.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    England have had the better decade in my view. Although Australia were imperious at home in 2013-14 and 2017-18, the thrashing on home soil in 2010-2011 was a humiliation for the ages.

Three innings defeats in 5 Tests, that too at home. It doesnít get worse than that.

England have had shaky moments at home but they have done enough to not lose a series.
    Your biased for England never stops. England have done enough not to lose a series at home but they are first English side since 2005 not to win Ashes on home soil.
    And since 2010 till now in Ashes you look at Australia have given England hammering in few series and overall head to head Australia are ahead comfortably so how does England have the better decade. Now come up with your stupid theories.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhan12 View Post
    Your biased for England never stops. England have done enough not to lose a series at home but they are first English side since 2005 not to win Ashes on home soil.
    And since 2010 till now in Ashes you look at Australia have given England hammering in few series and overall head to head Australia are ahead comfortably so how does England have the better decade. Now come up with your stupid theories.
    Away ashes series wins this decade: England 1, Australia 0.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And Australia retained the Ashes in England and England since 2005 first time didn't win Ashes at home.
    For Tim Paine and Australia this series was a like a win.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And Australia retained the Ashes in England and England since 2005 first time didn't win Ashes at home.
    For Tim Paine and Australia this series was a like a win.
    They can consider it what they want, it's still a drawn series.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    They can consider it what they want, it's still a drawn series.
    Not for England or Australia though. Its about winning and retaining the Ashes for them.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He was very good too but I will go with Broad, Johnson (due to that peak) and Cummins.
    So how does Broad make the cut.

Averages for the bowlers.
    Cummins 21.8
    Johnson 23.8
    Broad 29.2
    Harris 20.6
    Hazelwood 24.4

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Captaincy as well as batting. Australian team, led by Clarke, demolished England 5-0 at home. Very few can do this. He also has some failures but has got several hundreds and fared well in the Ashes. All factors into consideration, he is more likely to make it than a Bell or Root.
    His batting hasn't been that good actually, but u wont argue on it much as I had him in the side for captaincy alone haha

So how does Broad make the cut.

Averages for the bowlers.
    Cummins 21.8
    Johnson 23.8
    Broad 29.2
    Harris 20.6
    Hazelwood 24.4
    Broad has played more matches so not quite fair in that regard.

But it is about more than numbers.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Broad has played more matches so not quite fair in that regard.

But it is about more than numbers.
    So Harris is eliminated because he has only played in 17 ashes test matches in the decade nearly double that of Cummins..

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Harris is eliminated because he has only played in 17 ashes test matches in the decade nearly double that of Cummins..
    How is that 17?

Harris- 12
    Cummins- 10
    Johnson- 15
    Broad- 26

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    How is that 17?

Harris- 12
    Cummins- 10
    Johnson- 15
    Broad- 26
    The best bowling line up from 2010 in the ashes

Johnson
    Harris
    Hazelwood
    Lyon

You have just made up some phony rules so you can include Broad.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My combined Decade XI:

Warner
    Cook
    Smith
    KP
    Clarke (c)
    Stokes
    Prior (wk)
    Johnson
    Cummins
    Swann
    Anderson.

LIONEL MESSI FAN
    Find PakPassion on Twitter: @PakPassion

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    My combined Decade XI:

Warner
    Cook
    Smith
    KP
    Clarke (c)
    Stokes
    Prior (wk)
    Johnson
    Cummins
    Swann
    Anderson.
    You will need an extra player to cover for Swann when he quits half way through the series.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson
    Harris
    Hazelwood
    Lyon

Sometimes we need to look beyond stats and numbers which you are failing to do.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sometimes we need to look beyond stats and numbers which you are failing to do.
    Do tell what special talent does Broad have that is not in the numbers?.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do tell what special talent does Broad have that is not in the numbers?.
    Broad has led the English attack in several of those tours and ensured that England comes up as better team.

He was excellent in 2013 Ashes home and away, 2015 home and 2019 home. So, total 4 series where he was the best bowler for England.

In 2015 Ashes and this one, he didn't had any support from Jimmy and in 2013 Ashes away, he was one of the very few England players who fared very well from England end.

There is a reason why the decade has ended up with an overall result of England 11- Australia 12 test wins between the two sides, which mean the numbers are quite balanced.

In terms of series result, it's 3-2 to England.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Broad has led the English attack in several of those tours and ensured that England comes up as better team.

He was excellent in 2013 Ashes home and away, 2015 home and 2019 home. So, total 4 series where he was the best bowler for England.

In 2015 Ashes and this one, he didn't had any support from Jimmy and in 2013 Ashes away, he was one of the very few England players who fared very well from England end.

There is a reason why the decade has ended up with an overall result of England 11- Australia 12 test wins between the two sides, which mean the numbers are quite balanced.

So that makes Broad better than his team mates not the other team. You pick the bowlers that have bowled the best.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Overall test wins its Australia 14 and England 11 stop trying to make it sound closer.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not saying Harris should not be included, I am just saying that an average will likely increase for bowlers over a longer period of time. Not in all cases but in some.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    873 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I am surprised by Johnson’s Ashes numbers. I though he was a scattergun apart from 2013/4. But even in full-on Sloop John B mode he was still striking every fifty balls, just going for a lot of fours too.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Overall test wins its Australia 14 and England 11 stop trying to make it sound closer.
    But England did not suffer three innings defeats in one home series. That honor is Australiaís alone.

The 2010-2011 humiliation more than makes up for Australiaís slighter superior overall H2H record.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    But England did not suffer three innings defeats in one home series. That honor is Australia’s alone.

The 2010-2011 humiliation more than makes up for Australia’s slighter superior overall H2H record.
    How many times did Australia get whitewashed?.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am not saying Harris should not be included, I am just saying that an average will likely increase for bowlers over a longer period of time. Not in all cases but in some.
    Broads average dropped in that time same as Harris (Broads average never got anywhere near Harris), bowlers averages usually drop over longer periods.

Harris had a superior average, economy and strike rate.

Home averages
    Harris 21.3
    Broad 26.2

Away averages
    Harris 19.5
    Broad 37.1

Its not even close.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6060 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    How many times did Australia get whitewashed?.
    Whatís worse: getting whitewashed away from home or losing at home after 3 innings defeats?

I would say the latter.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What’s worse: getting whitewashed away from home or losing at home after 3 innings defeats?

I would say the latter.
    You got me there, England have never whitewashed Australia so I dont know what thats like.

But then again you dont know what its like to whitewash Australia.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Both teams have generally been good at home, and have verged on unstoppable at times.

But only England can say that they beat (well, thrashed) Australia in a series on their home turf in the 2010s.

Australia canít say the same about a series in England.

In fact itís been almost two decades since Australia won an Ashes series in England.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Any team without Vaughan, KP, Flintoff, Smith, and Harris should not be taken seriously.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson
    Harris
    Hazelwood
    Lyon

ROFL at picking Hazelwood over Cummins. Go and learn some more cricket

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Any team without Vaughan, KP, Flintoff, Smith, and Harris should not be taken seriously.
    Vaughan and Flintoff would had to play some cricket in this decade to get a place in this team.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This decade belonged to England regardless of recent outcomes.

Aussies were too reliant on Smith and pacers.

LIONEL MESSI FAN
    Find PakPassion on Twitter: @PakPassion

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    My combined Decade XI:

Warner
    Cook
    Smith
    KP
    Clarke (c)
    Stokes
    Prior (wk)
    Johnson
    Cummins
    Swann
    Anderson.
    How does Prior make it over Haddin?

Prior- AVG 24, 1 hundred
    Haddin- AVG 45, 4 hundreds

And Jimmy, lol.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    873 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    How does Prior make it over Haddin?

Prior- AVG 24, 1 hundred
    Haddin- AVG 45, 4 hundreds

And Jimmy, lol.
    Prior was past his peak after 2011 or so. His knees were getting worse forcing retirement.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Even in this decade where England have supposedly had the upper hand, the record is still in favour of Australia

Australia won 14 Ashes tests and England, 11.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Even in this decade where England have supposedly had the upper hand, the record is still in favour of Australia

Australia won 14 Ashes tests and England, 11.
    I think England believe they have a moral victory, but its all good they can claim to have won the decade with 11 wins to 14.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think England believe they have a moral victory, but its all good they can claim to have won the decade with 11 wins to 14.
    Would you really not switch some of those dead rubber wins at home for an Ashes series win in England?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    873 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    “England” do nothing of the kind. I don’t see the ECB represented in this thread and winning the decade is meaningless.