User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"The ideas and philosophy of Misbah-ul-Haq and his advisers are different from mine" : Dean Jones

Speaking to Wasim Akram :

"Pakistan has been outstanding, we've had a bit of fun in Dubai with the PSL, but its been great to come to this country and see the joy on people's faces; We've played in front of full houses and the grounds have been magnificent - the surfaces, the pitches - have been outstanding"

"Its opened the eyes particularly of the overseas players because many of them had never played here before, or never experienced the culture; From Islamabad to Karachi, Lahore and Multan its just been an absolute joy; I can see that from people's faces that its really helped them get through their lives"

"Playing at the MCG and having a 100,000 people supporting you against England is a great thing"

"We say in Australia that Pakistan has so much talent, its just a matter of how you harness it"

"My first question to Imran Bhai or PM as he is now, was where's my T-shirt - there is a reason for that, in 1991 it was me or Imran to be a player of the series (and Audi car was the prize); Imran won the prize and turned up for the next match saying 'Sorry I won the car'"

"I asked him did being the captain of Pakistan help him cope with the physical and mental demands of being the PM of a country, he replied If I wasnt the captain, I could never do this job"

"Karachi Kings have got a young sensational kid Umer Khan. But he's not played even half the games he could have in first-class cricket which is ridiculous. The kid is a potential superstar & he would probably be in my squad for the T20 World Cup"

"The ideas and philosophies of Misbah and his advisors are different to me and different to lot of teams around the world"

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Fair to say, Jones and Misbah are at opposite ends of the coaching spectrum.

Could Jones have made a good Head Coach for Pakistan?

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

Definitely yes, I have been saying this for at least 10 years.
    Dean was the kind of an aggressive player who was full of confidence and knew how to take calculated risks, and then chop off the opposition.
    His fielding skills, and his running between the wickets and his general presence on the wicket was quite dominating.

Dean, simply means business.

He does not harp on the philosophies to cover up the failures. He was an elite fighter, no matter what the situation was.

This is the kind of professional you need to take on the coaching job.

His personality's effect and his presence is what makes the difference. He simply keeps a very high standard of expectations and he simply does not believe in excuses.

We need Dean Jones as the coach and Wasim as the team manager or a Think Tank that helps carve the winning strategy in the dressing room.

Wasim is on the record stating that he is not interested in a coaching job. He wants to be a manager or something with the team and help them in the dressing room as how to fight on the battle field.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Better than Misbah, for sure. Just based on their PSL sides and choices though, maybe not as good as Andy Flower.

Flower also has tasted sustained coaching success at the top level. But if we can’t get Flower, then Deano would still be better than Misbah.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One of the problems with cricket being cancelled for so long is that Misbah will continue to have influence over Pakistan cricket for a longer period of time than expected..

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol hindsight is always 20-20. Before PCB actually officially appointed the new coach, people were criticizing Dean Jones lack of coaching experience, track record and that the PCB by appointing him would clearly show their desperation to the world that they appointed the first gora individual who applied and didn't have proper standards

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Lol hindsight is always 20-20. Before PCB actually officially appointed the new coach, people were criticizing Dean Jones lack of coaching experience, track record and that the PCB by appointing him would clearly show their desperation to the world that they appointed the first gora individual who applied and didn't have proper standards

Totally agreed with the poster..

Today even Mickey Arthur is looking a 100% upgrade over Misbah (though we have small sample to judge for Misbah, and more likely it will remain the same with COVID-19 and possibly no cricket for at least next 6 months or so)

One thing I kept repeating is our local coaches almost always bring some politics with themselves , as they in all cases are political appointments. And Misbah is no different. This guy just simply so lucky..

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreePalestine View Post
    Better than Misbah, for sure. Just based on their PSL sides and choices though, maybe not as good as Andy Flower.

Flower also has tasted sustained coaching success at the top level. But if we can’t get Flower, then Deano would still be better than Misbah.

You can make a high profile coaching set up of [Sachin (batting coach), McGrath (Fast Bowling coach), Andy Flower(Head Coach), Jonty Rhodes (Fielding coach), Shane Warne (Spin Coach)], results will still be the same :

Reasons

1) Non performing seniors and the politics they bring with Media backing full house to them
    2) Some sections of the management wants things to remain bad so they will always be on PAYROLL of PCB forever
    3) No promotion of youth (Field sports is an athletic game). Now don't go back to era of Ranatunga/Inzi, etc. At least they were very good batsmen. Do you think any of Maliks/Hafeez/Akmals are even 20% of what they were.
    4) You fire the person who had Danda (stick) and so focussed on fitness, because some section of TTFs and their media houses are not happy with him being strict

So, no matter what coaches you bring, We will still be discussing all this after 30-40 years also

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah is simply the luckiest man in Pakistan cricket. Mediocre player with a medicore personality and a medicore record. Yet hailed as some sort of a saviour by the people with power and is bestowed with countless positions be it PSL or PCB.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Misbah is a well known shameless person.
    Last edited by Ryw; 30th March 2020 at 12:32.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    One of the problems with cricket being cancelled for so long is that Misbah will continue to have influence over Pakistan cricket for a longer period of time than expected..
    I have a horrible dream that Misbah will end up as PCB head one day. This nightmare won't be over.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakpak View Post
    I have a horrible dream that Misbah will end up as PCB head one day. This nightmare won't be over.
    Your dream will be reality

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for all the investigative journalists. What Misbah ul Haq has done in 6-8 years that he became loving to every one in PCB??

Post spot fixing, YK and Afraid also had equally important contribution in lifting the team. Then why suddenly Misbah is the only answer for everything in PCB

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iniqbal223 View Post
    Question for all the investigative journalists. What Misbah ul Haq has done in 6-8 years that he became loving to every one in PCB??

Post spot fixing, YK and Afraid also had equally important contribution in lifting the team. Then why suddenly Misbah is the only answer for everything in PCB
    It is a good point. I guess he gets more kudos because he was captain.

YK is a bit insane, so not as media friendly as Misbah. But there is a strong case to suggest that his MASSIVE contribution to the post 2010 test team does not get as appreciated as it should.

Afridi is Afridi, he is a wild horse, and, although he did an important job for us after we lost so many key players in the 2011 wc, he stayed way too long and took a space in some ICC events post 2011 that he didnt really deserve...

By way of comparison, Misbah’s test team established a proper stronghold in the UAE and were nearly unbeatable there for a long time. This was despite us not having the traditional pace bowling fire power we have had in every single decade because we lost our two golden boys to match fixing. So that is quite an achievement.

Having said that, Misbah as coach has been a big disappointment. If Pak can get Deano or Andy Flower, Misbah should just resign.
    Last edited by FreePalestine; 30th March 2020 at 14:37.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    With these 3-4 months break Misbah will get more influence in PCB and will get another 2-3 year extension of his current job by next year. Most likely he will be our coach for 2023 World Cup and have a good chance to go until 2027. By then we will miss out World Cup of 4 T20s and 2 Fifty over cricket.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a go at Misbah for not having much coaching credentials then tell me what has Dean Jones has achieved in his coaching career?

Jones is much older than Misbah and should have had experience of coaching international teams by now but he has not & you have to ask why. Just because you are a confident, mouthy Aussie does not mean you should be coach of Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Cant really comment on his coaching skills but as a batsman Dean Jones was well ahead of his time. A very attractive batsman to the eyes and aggressive.

If his coaching has attributes of his batting then he would have made a great coach for Pakistanís national team

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Speaking to Wasim Akram :

"Pakistan has been outstanding, we've had a bit of fun in Dubai with the PSL, but its been great to come to this country and see the joy on people's faces; We've played in front of full houses and the grounds have been magnificent - the surfaces, the pitches - have been outstanding"

"Its opened the eyes particularly of the overseas players because many of them had never played here before, or never experienced the culture; From Islamabad to Karachi, Lahore and Multan its just been an absolute joy; I can see that from people's faces that its really helped them get through their lives"

"Playing at the MCG and having a 100,000 people supporting you against England is a great thing"

"We say in Australia that Pakistan has so much talent, its just a matter of how you harness it"

"My first question to Imran Bhai or PM as he is now, was where's my T-shirt - there is a reason for that, in 1991 it was me or Imran to be a player of the series (and Audi car was the prize); Imran won the prize and turned up for the next match saying 'Sorry I won the car'"

"I asked him did being the captain of Pakistan help him cope with the physical and mental demands of being the PM of a country, he replied If I wasnt the captain, I could never do this job"

"Karachi Kings have got a young sensational kid Umer Khan. But he's not played even half the games he could have in first-class cricket which is ridiculous. The kid is a potential superstar & he would probably be in my squad for the T20 World Cup"

"The ideas and philosophies of Misbah and his advisors are different to me and different to lot of teams around the world"
    Make Jones Head Coach of Pakistan!

Enough of this epitome of negativity, Misbah Ul Haq

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how they both managed when Dean Jones was the head coach and Misbah was the captain of IU if their philosophies were as different as Deano is implying.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Misbah is simply the luckiest man in Pakistan cricket. Mediocre player with a medicore personality and a medicore record. Yet hailed as some sort of a saviour by the people with power and is bestowed with countless positions be it PSL or PCB.
    He is actually a con man. Let me explain.
    During his playing days in ODIs, he used to play extremely slow and not to the conditions, ensuring he is the last remaining batsman who is not out, scoring a 40 or a 50 at a 50 or a 60 strikerate. In the end everyone shames all the batsmen except Misbah since he scored a well earned 50. His defensive mindset ensured he never got a 100 in ODI. Once he had consistent 50s and 40s to his name, he became ODI captain, as he was already a test captain. Then he instilled this defensive mindset on teh whole team which resulted in #9 ODI rankings once Misbah retired after CWC 2015.

Misbah is a curse to Pakistan cricket. People need to realize this soon. He is absolutely clueless as a coach and more clueless as a selector (change 5-9 players every single time he announced a T20 side for a series).

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a good point. I guess he gets more kudos because he was captain.

YK is a bit insane, so not as media friendly as Misbah. But there is a strong case to suggest that his MASSIVE contribution to the post 2010 test team does not get as appreciated as it should.

Afridi is Afridi, he is a wild horse, and, although he did an important job for us after we lost so many key players in the 2011 wc, he stayed way too long and took a space in some ICC events post 2011 that he didnt really deserve...

By way of comparison, Misbahís test team established a proper stronghold in the UAE and were nearly unbeatable there for a long time. This was despite us not having the traditional pace bowling fire power we have had in every single decade because we lost our two golden boys to match fixing. So that is quite an achievement.

Having said that, Misbah as coach has been a big disappointment. If Pak can get Deano or Andy Flower, Misbah should just resign.

Good point. But I think there must be more to this than UAE stronghold alone. Misbah always got the support on the way when he just started the captaincy.

Again I invoke all the journos or insiders to provide more depth. There were many captains who were winning much bigger series and trophies than Misbah...so this really need another assessment.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iniqbal223 View Post
    Totally agreed with the poster..

Today even Mickey Arthur is looking a 100% upgrade over Misbah (though we have small sample to judge for Misbah, and more likely it will remain the same with COVID-19 and possibly no cricket for at least next 6 months or so)

One thing I kept repeating is our local coaches almost always bring some politics with themselves , as they in all cases are political appointments. And Misbah is no different. This guy just simply so lucky..
    Misbah a big upgrade over Mickey that's for sure. Test team improving , better tactics and better selections.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    Misbah a big upgrade over Mickey that's for sure. Test team improving , better tactics and better selections.
    Only in your dreams, lol

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Dean Jones has earned his colors to be the next coach of Pakistan.

Oh and I totally agree with him on Misbah...and Umar Khan.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    I think Dean Jones has earned his colors to be the next coach of Pakistan.
    Based on what? That he talks a good game? We saw that with MA and got humiliated in the WC.

Deano hasnt done anything noteworthy yet. If KK wins PSL under him than maybe he can be in contention

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    100% that's the truth

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
    Based on what? That he talks a good game? We saw that with MA and got humiliated in the WC.

Deano hasnt done anything noteworthy yet. If KK wins PSL under him than maybe he can be in contention
    I don't think Mickey Arthur ever talked a good game to be fair.

Deano has what Pakistan needs - tactical nous, no involvement in politics and the right motivational tools. The sample is small for him based on his PSL stints but enough to be given a chance in my opinion.

Misbah has shown enough in Aus/NZ/SA as captain and now as coach to know where his limits are. Home series against weak team came at the right time for everyone to forget the horrors he unleashed against SL/Aus/NZ. He will learn but we know his learning curve never stretches to tough overseas competition barring England.
    Deano has exactly what Pakistan needs - the right amount of motivationsl

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    I don't think Mickey Arthur ever talked a good game to be fair.

Deano has what Pakistan needs - tactical nous, no involvement in politics and the right motivational tools. The sample is small for him based on his PSL stints but enough to be given a chance in my opinion.

Misbah has shown enough in Aus/NZ/SA as captain and now as coach to know where his limits are. Home series against weak team came at the right time for everyone to forget the horrors he unleashed against SL/Aus/NZ. He will learn but we know his learning curve never stretches to tough overseas competition barring England.
    Deano has exactly what Pakistan needs - the right amount of motivationsl
    What international team has Dean Jones coached and improved? I give you the answer, none. If he was so good, don't you think he would have coached Bangladesh or Sri Lanka by now? Shane Jurgensen has even coached Bangledesh!!

You can make a case for Andy Flower to coach Pakistan but not Dean Jones.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Pakistani cricket fans are not patient.

For all the good Misbah did as a player, that will mean nothing if things go pear-shaped as coach.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading between the lines here, i think Deano appears to be suggesting that Misbah has no idea what he's talking about.

After Misbah is inevitably cast out, reputation in tatters, Deano could well be given a go.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Reading between the lines here, i think Deano appears to be suggesting that Misbah has no idea what he's talking about.

After Misbah is inevitably cast out, reputation in tatters, Deano could well be given a go.
    Don't hold your breath. I can see this fraud becoming the PCB head one day. I can see Hafeez and other failures still becoming coaches.

These people are seemingly impossible to get rid of sadly.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all the good Misbah did as a player, that will mean nothing if things go pear-shaped as coach.
    So apart from being spot fixing savior. What else Misbah has done? We regressed well enough as a cricketing nation..If it was not for Saeed Ajmal's contribution, we would not have won those test matches as well..

Plus after serving for 6 years as captain (with full power), what players we got from him.. TTFs returning one failure after another

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

We can't choose to be selectively patient with some players and not with others.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    and his advisors

Who is he referring to here?

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    and his advisors

Who is he referring to here?
    waqar yours

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post

No one in PCB's history, player or administrator, has left with their reputation intact. No one has had a fairytale ending #fact

It takes a degree of selflessness to work for the greater good rather than worry about personal reputation. Misbah has that quality and is one of the many reasons why he's entrusted such powers. He prefers to put his head down and work rather than be a showbaz. Our awaam needs to appreciate such characters as they actually contribute while people talk smack about them

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is well known why Deano is overlooked. Sarfraz Nawaz and Mohsin Khan keep bringing up "fixing stuff" on Dean Jones and why for some reason he didn't get picked for Australia in the 90s as regularly as his domestic performance merited. When the PSL spot fixing happened under his coaching this topic reappeared. It will be hard to keep those people quiet if they hire Deano.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoomCricket View Post
    It is well known why Deano is overlooked. Sarfraz Nawaz and Mohsin Khan keep bringing up "fixing stuff" on Dean Jones and why for some reason he didn't get picked for Australia in the 90s as regularly as his domestic performance merited. When the PSL spot fixing happened under his coaching this topic reappeared. It will be hard to keep those people quiet if they hire Deano.

Sure that explains things in Pakistan but how come other top teams haven't hired him

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure that explains things in Pakistan but how come other top teams haven't hired him
    I think they see him as a bit of a funny guy in the commentary box who likes to joke around rather than a serious coach. Plus the Amla incident in 2006. Even in commentary he doesn't get picked by the ICC for their world tournaments anymore or for Australia's home games done by channel 7 and Fox.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from Azhar Ali, Shaheen, Imad and Shan Masood no one in the Pakistan team understands an ounce of English. That is the problem with an overseas coach. Azhar Ali once narrated a story where Mickey Arthur was explaining to Faheem Ashraf about plans to bowl at Collin De Grandhomme. Faheem told and asked Azhar: I understand everything but what is De Grandhomme

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from Azhar Ali, Shaheen, Imad and Shan Masood no one in the Pakistan team understands an ounce of English. That is the problem with an overseas coach. Azhar Ali once narrated a story where Mickey Arthur was explaining to Faheem Ashraf about plans to bowl at Collin De Grandhomme. Faheem told and asked Azhar: I understand everything but what is De Grandhomme
    Haha that's funny. That's a big problem with foreign coaches and then our players and awam will accuse them of having favorites while all they want is someone that understands them

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah was always a timid captain and his only success as a captain came due to Ajmal, Hafeez and Afridi if any. Any guy who is strategically timid can not make for a great coach. Somehow one can blame that he did not have the resources but I think Misbah wasnt a great judge of talent which in Pakistan is a requirement as a captain due to the domestic circuit not really telling us how good a player is at times. Though surprisingly he was able to spring up some good talents for Islamabad United which is why I feel he was given the coaching. Shadab, Sharjeel, Fahim Ashraf, Asif Ali and Hussain Talat all coming during Misbah's time but Dean Jones was also the coach there at the time. So who really knows who actually picked out those talents.

Dean Jones tbh would be a wild card as a coach due to no experience but he was a good batsman and during the early 90s and late 80s widely considered as the best ODI batsman in the world. For Pakistan who has been struggling to develop good ODI batsmen he would have been an asset to have around. Babar Azam and co can learn a lot from him.

"Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Misbah has ideas and a philosophy? What ideas does he exactly have aside from throwing crap at the walls and seeing what sticks?

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For these reasons I do tend towards a local coach. Wish there were more domestic coaches rising up the ranks really.

But Dean Jones is one of the few foreigners I'd go with. He's worked for a number of years with Pakistani players in the PSL. Got the coaching qualifications. Good PSL record. Was a dynamic and well rounded LOI batsman and perhaps could implement what he himself did during his days.

I think Dean could have been a great stop gap. Could have easily let Misbah get a few years experience as domestic or even assistant coach, get the coaching qualifications before officially taking over.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing impresses me about Dean Jones as a coach.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about Dean Jones is he's always had Wasim or Waqar by his side in each of the five PSL seasons up to now. Their presence perhaps makes it easier for him. You wonder whether he really is a serious coach? Most of the commentators just love taking the mic out of him rather than seriously talking about his coaching credentials.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about Dean Jones is he's always had Wasim or Waqar by his side in each of the five PSL seasons up to now. Their presence perhaps makes it easier for him. You wonder whether he really is a serious coach? Most of the commentators just love taking the mic out of him rather than seriously talking about his coaching credentials.
    At ISLU he's had a Misbah at his side too. Dean Jones real accomplishment will be if he can get KK a PSL trophy

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those criticizing Dean Jones for his lack of coaching experience, how is Misbah then justified as a coach?

What experience as a coach does he have that qualifies him to be a coach?

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    For those criticizing Dean Jones for his lack of coaching experience, how is Misbah then justified as a coach?

What experience as a coach does he have that qualifies him to be a coach?
    Captained Pakistan in more Tests than anybody else with 56.
    Won more Tests than any other Pakistan Captain with 26.
    Captained Pakistan in 23 consecutive Test series between 2010-2017, only missing 2 Tests along the way.
    He is no newbie.
    He has had lots of experience and success in a pressurized leadership role.
    Coaching is slightly different, but you are acting as if he is a nobody. That is not fair. He has captained his country with distinction and he has credibility.
    Imran Khan, who has never been a big fan of coaching - one said successful Test Captains can make good coaches in his view when he was pushed on the subject of coaches. Perhaps that might have come into it somewhat with IK now a PM.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IK played his cricket 30 years ago and has refocussed his life on other issues. He admits he doesn't closely follow the game now. IK may have ideas on coaching that are a decade or two behind the modern game.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Very disingenuous of Dean Jones to say even if his criticisms are valid. He worked perfectly well with Misbah during his time at Islamabad, as well as with Waqar who is now Misbahís adviser. You can probably dig up old interviews of him complimenting Misbah in early seasons of PSL. So was he lying back then or is he lying now?

If anything, DJ is simply trying to stir up controversy and put his name in contention to coach the next time a board (Pakistan or otherwise) is looking for one. I respect the guy but there is no other reason that he would be putting out controversial statements like this

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Very disingenuous of Dean Jones to say even if his criticisms are valid. He worked perfectly well with Misbah during his time at Islamabad, as well as with Waqar who is now Misbah’s adviser. You can probably dig up old interviews of him complimenting Misbah in early seasons of PSL. So was he lying back then or is he lying now?

If anything, DJ is simply trying to stir up controversy and put his name in contention to coach the next time a board (Pakistan or otherwise) is looking for one. I respect the guy but there is no other reason that he would be putting out controversial statements like this
    He is getting back at Misbah for the manner in which he was let go by IU. He probably has it on good information that Misbah played a key role in that decision

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He is getting back at Misbah for the manner in which he was let go by IU. He probably has it on good information that Misbah played a key role in that decision
    100% agreed, which is why I donít think he necessarily even means what heís saying about having a different philosophy

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You keep posting such allegations against Misbah even calling him a sif a r shi. If there's information you know, please do share otherwise stop maligning the guy's name

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Captained Pakistan in 23 consecutive Test series between 2010-2017, only missing 2 Tests along the way.
    He is no newbie.
    Coaching is slightly different, but you are acting as if he is a nobody. That is not fair. He has captained his country with distinction and he has credibility.
    Imran Khan, who has never been a big fan of coaching - one said successful Test Captains can make good coaches in his view when he was pushed on the subject of coaches. Perhaps that might have come into it somewhat with IK now a PM.
    Successful captains CAN make good coaches. But they have to learn and be tested. Just because someone was a good captain does not automatically mean they should be catapulted to the top job without any experience.

Especially as his good captaincy can only really be argued in tests - how is that enough to make him the coach and chief selector for all formats?

In regards to coaching he is indeed a nobody. In fact he is less than a nobody because he has never been a coach.

Your statement that coaching is only slightly different than captaincy is laughable. They are completely and utterly different roles.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dean Jones was 10-20 years ahead of his time as an ODI player. Misbah was about 20 years behind his time as an ODI player.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how many new PP'ers know about Dean Jones. He was a fantastic dynamic ODI player and extremely dangerous. He was one of the best ODI players, if not the best, in the world.

And when I say player, not batsman, I mean that too. Great in the field and tactically.
    Last edited by Blistering Barnacle; 5th April 2020 at 08:05.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is no newbie.
    As a coach. Key word: COACH.

Obviously Misbah has more leadership experience than Dean Jones because he was the best of a bad lot.

Meanwhile Deano had Grumpy and the greatest Test captain, Mark Taylor to contend with.

Misbahís appointment is laughable at best and unethical in truth.
    Last edited by ManFan; 7th April 2020 at 03:26.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    You keep posting such allegations against Misbah even calling him a sif a r shi. If there's information you know, please do share otherwise stop maligning the guy's name
    Misbah's progression from 2007 to now is more than enough proof, no one in Pakistan Cricket has had an unchallenged upward trajectory and good fortune from the higher up's in comparison to this guy. Definitely has a powerful gidarsinghi in his pocket.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah's progression from 2007 to now is more than enough proof, no one in Pakistan Cricket has had an unchallenged upward trajectory and good fortune from the higher up's in comparison to this guy. Definitely has a powerful gidarsinghi in his pocket.
    Why start at 2007 and not when his cricketing career actually began. The guy's seen his fair share of struggle to a point he was contemplating burning his kit! Maybe it's not a gidarsinghi and it's his struggles and efforts that set him up for success latter in life

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Why start at 2007 and not when his cricketing career actually began. The guy's seen his fair share of struggle to a point he was contemplating burning his kit! Maybe it's not a gidarsinghi and it's his struggles and efforts that set him up for success latter in life
    Plenty of other players have gone through their fair share of struggles and efforts and he is no different. But no one in Pakistani Cricket history has ever enjoyed the upward trajectory as this guy has had since 2007 almost tantamounting to the guy can do no wrong. He definately is very well connected to a powerful figure.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Not sure what Dean Jones sees in Umer Khan

Saying that he backed ajmal alot in 2016 when the whole world had excommunicated him

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blistering Barnacle View Post
    Dean Jones was 10-20 years ahead of his time as an ODI player. Misbah was about 20 years behind his time as an ODI player.
    Yet we still appoint him as CS and Coach.