User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

"If I had any apprehension or fear of security, I wouldn’t have come to Pakistan" : Michael Holding

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Michael Holding is on a private visit to Pakistan until 3rd October.

He may attend the 2nd ODI between Pakistan and Sri Lanka on Monday for a short while but not in an official capacity.

He's told PakPassion that everything has been good and he has been mostly going out at night but been catching up with former cricketers like Zaheer Abbas, Javed Miandad and some others.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just love the West Indies cricketers.

They are so nice and humble.

Thank you to Michael Holding for visiting Pakistan!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

The problem lies with the so called big 3, they live in cloud cookoo land, plus India with its bigotry behaviour of late is in no.mood

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What PCB need to do is to viral some pictures or tweets. One good idea would be to conduct photo sessions of the entire Srilankan team on several locations in Pakistan (for example, Faisal Mosque or Badshahi Mosque) and viral them on social media. Let everyone know that Pakistan have good places to visit and it is safe indeed.

Pakistan fan from Bangladesh.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well everybody speaks about the food in Pakistan which is awesome.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Pics courtesy of Shahid Afridi's twitter

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sri Lankan players aren’t allowed to leave their hotels per the security plan

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1629 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Pics courtesy of Shahid Afridi's twitter

The great Saeed Anwar also present at Afridi's place.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Respect to Shahid Afridi for inviting Micheal holding round
    Last edited by MenInG; 30th September 2019 at 11:57.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Classy Holding doing classy things.

Big legend.

LIONEL MESSI FAN
    Find PakPassion on Twitter: @PakPassion

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Michael Holding visit’s Thalassemia center in Karachi

(Karachi) West Indies legendary pacer Michael Holding has visited Omair Sana Foundation Thalassemia centre in Karachi.

He was accompanied by Barry Wilkinson, Caribbean cricket commentator, and other executives.

During the visit, the World Cup winning pacer distributed gifts among the children and shared some light moments with Thalassemia patients. On this occasion, the founder of the Omair Sana Foundation, Kashif Ansari was also present.

Talking to media, the cricket legend appreciated the efforts of the foundation, helping the children affected from this disease.

“The facilities here are very good. But I would like to see Pakistan to a point where they don’t need any facility,” said former West Indies captain. “What they need to do is to educate the people that what needs to be done.”

“They can’t buy blood from the supermarket,” said Holding. “We have to go and donate. They are human beings and we are human beings. So everyone should find a way to donate. I urge all of you to donate.”

“You are losing absolutely nothing and you are saving a life,” he added.

Commenting on Pakistan’s passion for cricket, Holding said that the passion hasn’t changed a bit. “I visited Pakistan way back in 80’s, and now I’m back, I haven’t seen any change at all. It is still there.”

He suggested Prime Minister Imran Khan to lead the country like he led his cricket team. “My only suggestion for Imran Khan is to lead his country like he led his team in cricket.”

Meanwhile, Barry Wilkinson is extremely excited for Pakistan-Sri Lanka series and urged for more international cricket in Pakistan.

“I’s extreamly excited for the game, the level of security they receive is amazing and I think more international cricket should be played in Pakistan,” the commentator said.

“Cricket crowd here is amazing. I grew up watching cricket at Qaddafi Stadium. It is kind of weird to watch cricket from New Zealand, Australia but not from Pakistan,” he concluded.

https://www.brecorder.com/2019/09/30...er-in-karachi/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Holding at NSK. Pics via PCB.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Holding with Jahangir Khan during a ceremony at IG house in Karachi

Name:  5b5ac008-8739-4761-aa28-2f09ee801e30.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  199.7 KB

Holding speaking about Jahangir Khan:

"We are talking about greatness here and I played as part of a great team, that’s why I got that label being part of a great team but this gentleman (Jahangir Khan) he did it all by himself, he didn’t need any help; As Dr. Ansari said, that year after year, tournament after tournament they kept on thinking if someone will beat him, the answer was no; He just kept on winning and winning and that is true greatness; He didn’t need any help, depended all on his own skill, over and over again; I am very proud to know that he is someone I can see and go up to him and say Hi , Jahangir Khan good to see you again, because not everyday you get to meet people as great as that and we are friends of people as great as that”
    Last edited by MenInG; 2nd October 2019 at 11:31.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance of the PM meeting Holding? It would be a nice gesture , even if it’s a brief interaction and would make this visit get more publicity which can only be in Pakistan’s interest.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    KARACHI: West Indies’ fast bowling great Micheal Holding, who has been in Pakistan for about a week, has said that he would love to see teams frequently visit Pakistan but the perception, of the country, needs to be changed.

Talking to a group of journalists here, the fearsome paceman of his time acknowledged the hospitality and security arrangements in Karachi, adding that the ongoing tour of Sri Lankan limited-overs team should be appropriately cashed in to restore other cricketing nations’ confidence in Pakistan.

“People have heard so many stories about Pakistan so they are going to be afraid, of course. It’s up to the Pakistan Cricket Board and the Pakistan government to try and convince teams and other boards that they will be absolutely safe coming to Pakistan. It’s not going to be easy,” Holding said.

“You gotta prove that everything is fine and when Sri Lankan team is here, show everyone that everything is fine and they are well taken care of. I am sure other teams will come,” the 60-Test veteran added.

The Jamaican-born cricketer turned commentator was of the opinion that Pakistan has an “stigma” attached to it, which needs to be scratched off.

Citing the example of 2005 bombings in London, the lanky former fast bowler recalled that despite the incident, Australia chose to stay in the country to complete the Ashes series.

“The Australian cricket team at the time of 7/7 bombings in London were in England. However, the Australia did not go back home, so you know there are stigmas attached to certain countries,” the 65-year-old Holding maintained.

“It’s important that you find a way to get over those stigmas, that’s simple as that.”

Holding, who visited different areas of the metropolitan city besides meeting a number of cricket stars, termed his experience a pleasant one.

“[In Karachi] I have walked on the streets, gone into restaurants, sat down with people and did not feel uncomfortable at all,” Holding said.

Commenting on the “early” retirement of paceman Mohammad Amir, Holding said the workload of fast bowlers is way too much as compared to old days.

“I played Test cricket for 12 years, I missed two years because of Kerry Packer, so I played 60 matches. That’s an average of 6 [Tests] per year. These guys are playing 14 to 15 Test matches. I am never going to blame a cricketer trying to extend his earning period, you can’t do that,” Holding said.

On England’s bowling sensation Jofra Archer, Holding foresaw good future ahead of the 24-year old.

“He has a smooth rhythmical action and pace which you can’t buy of a store. If he is taken care of, he will have a very long career,” Holding concluded.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1508690

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Some really nice words from Michael Holding!

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some really nice words from Michael Holding!
    It's about time all teams start playing in Pakistan. Pakistan is no more dangerous than US really where there's a mass shooting every month. The Pakistab government takes security more seriously than even SENA I dare say (Bangladesh team was reportedly just minutes away from being murdered in Christchurch).

I despise religious fanatics but Pakistan has suffered enough. Every country in the world suffers from various form of violent extremism in 2019. It's unfair to single out Pakistan anymore.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Holding says Pakistan safe for touring teams

KARACHI, Pakistan (CMC) — West Indies fast-bowling legend Michael Holding has endorsed the full return of international cricket to Pakistan, following a week-long visit here.

The 65-year-old Holding, a member of the Caribbean side's fearsome pace battery of the 1970s and 80s, visited the once-volatile Asian nation as a special guest of philanthropist and entrepreneur, Dr Kashif Ansari, for Pakistan's three-match one-day series against Sri Lanka.

“Nothing has changed in Pakistan. The love for cricket attracts me to visit this country,” said Holding, now a renowned television commentator, while reflecting on the first time he visited the country in 1981.

“I would like to say that the security here is fantastic. I hope that more international teams will consider playing cricket in front of an enthusiastic crowd.

“If I had any apprehension or fear of security, I wouldn't have come to Pakistan. I have no problem here. It is good and encouraging news that the Sri Lankans are here to play international matches.”

He added: “Pakistan should not be isolated from the game just because something had happened 10 years ago. It is useful to have security precautions, which obviously are every country's priority, and Pakistan is not any different.”

Pakistan was hit by a lengthy suspension from hosting international cricket after a terrorist attack during Sri Lanka's 2009 tour resulted in injury to several players and the death of members of the security forces.

However, cricket authorities have lobbied fervently for the return of international cricket and last year April, a weakened West Indies side toured for three Twenty20 Internationals.

Earlier this year, West Indies Women also contested three T20 Internationals in Karachi.

Holding, who was accompanied by West Indian commentator Barry Wilkinson — also a guest of Dr Ansari — witnessed the historic return of One-Day International (ODI) cricket to the National Stadium here.

Holding and Wilkinson also paid a courtesy call to Dr Ansari's privately run hospital, the Omair Sana Foundation, a home for kids with the blood disorder thalassemia.

Holding also placed a vote of confidence in Pakistan's new Prime Minister Imran Khan, the country's former all-rounder and Test captain whom he faced during his playing days.

“Khan was one of the prolific cricketers the world of cricket has witnessed. If he leads the country as same as he did the cricket team, Pakistan will be fine,” he concluded.

Wilkinson, who has covered the last three T20 and 50-over World Cups, was impressed with the level of security, hospitality and also Pakistan's crowd which came out in their numbers to witness the matches in Karachi.

“There is an obvious energy to this crowd watching their team at home, a vibe that you don't get when they are playing in Dubai,” the Barbadian said.

“So to deny them of seeing their team on home turf is not fair, especially after the security requirements have passed with glowing colours.”

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...g-teams_176566