Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Is Misbah-ul-Haq the absolute worse thing to happen to Pakistan cricket ever?

Well the thread title says it all, but let me recap Misbah's achievements.

1. Led Pakistan to their most embarrassing tournament showing ever in 2013 CT

2. Led Pakistan to their most boring and unimaginative WC ever in 2015

3. Successfully took us to number 9 in the ODI rankings, number 8 in the T20 rankings and number 7 in the test rankings.

4. Even managed to lose a test to mighty Zimbabwe

5. Appointed Azhar Ali as his successor who led us to first ever series defeat to BD

6. Now as coach and selector he has led us to 3-0 T20 whitewash by SL C at home, keep in mind in last match SL were playing 5 new players.

7. Even the ODI wins were unconvincing and Pakistan was struggling to reach 300 which was being achieved easily by team under Mickey.

The achievements of this great man just never end. Mashallah ikhees toppon ki salaami.

Mein inko rolaonga

NaMo se Namonay tak ka safar..... chaiwala

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relax

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Relax
    You are asking me to relax when saviour sahab is taking us back to the dark ages which we struggled so hard to come out off?

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet. Soon he will be.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Jeddah, Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post

3. Successfully took us to number 9 in the ODI rankings, number 8 in the T20 rankings and number 7 in the test rankings.

5. Appointed Azhar Ali as his successor who led us to first ever series defeat to BD

6. Now as coach and selector he has led us to 3-0 T20 whitewash by SL C at home, keep in mind in last match SL were playing 5 new players.

7. Even the ODI wins were unconvincing and Pakistan was struggling to reach 300 which was being achieved easily by team under Mickey.

The achievements of this great man just never end. Mashallah ikhees toppon ki salaami.
    Yes

Single-handedly destroyed our limited overs cricket in this decade.

Took us back to 90s cricket with his pathetic defensive approach.

Won tests on UAE dustbowls where pitches neither suited batsmen nor bowlers hence rendering our players incapable of being competitive overseas where pitches had decent pace, bounce or spin.

He's respected like the 2nd coming of Imran Khan just because he "saved" Pak cricket after 2010 fiasco by not getting involved in controveries lol.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazzam View Post
    Not yet. Soon he will be.
    That soon isn't very far off...

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy a Mickey-less Pakistani side.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only conclusion i have come he tried to proof mickey arthur wrong about umar akmal and ahmed shehzad which completely backfired and put mickey arthur in right place.
    That particular decision will shorten his tenture due to this he will also fear to give a chance to new comers which will be further disastrous
    Last edited by saeed5646; 10th October 2019 at 00:35.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is just the start.... wait till you all start using choice words for the saviour. That time isn't far.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadi Rizvi View Post
    Yes

Single-handedly destroyed our limited overs cricket in this decade.

Took us back to 90s cricket with his pathetic defensive approach.

Won tests on UAE dustbowls where pitches neither suited batsmen nor bowlers hence rendering our players incapable of being competitive overseas where pitches had decent pace, bounce or spin.

He's respected like the 2nd coming of Imran Khan just because he "saved" Pak cricket after 2010 fiasco by not getting involved in controveries lol.
    Imagine if the 2010 fiasco hadn't happened, a loser like this guy wouldn't even have been in the side.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That soon isn't very far off...
    To me this stint will expose this man even further. I am enjoying this.

On another note I feel cricket in Pakistan will die out if he is to continue. Cause nobody likes a team of losers. I am sorry I find it hard to support this team these days. Heck I did not even bother watching the matches fully. Been watching highlights. This is how uninterested I am with this management.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    To me this stint will expose this man even further. I am enjoying this.

On another note I feel cricket in Pakistan will die out if he is to continue. Cause nobody likes a team of losers. I am sorry I find it hard to support this team these days. Heck I did not even bother watching the matches fully. Been watching highlights. This is how uninterested I am with this management.
    True... I didn't even follow todays match after we were doing tuk tuk in the powerplay and was outraged to see the score when we lost.

But all hail the saviour, long may he reign.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    Enjoy a Mickey-less Pakistani side.
    While you can argue that someone else should have replaced him but Mickey Arther couldnt have coached Pak team till the end of the world. He had his limitations and at some time Pak had to move to someone else.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horrible as a coach

Because they've made him into one out of nothing

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No, people like Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif were the worst thing that ever happened to Pakistan cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The whole brand after Inzi retired has been terrible. Misbah didn’t fit that large hole left after Inzimam.

Misbah
    Waqar
    Shahzad
    Umar Akmal failure
    Hafeez
    Over reliance on Malik
    Nasir Jamshed wc spot

Some of the reasons why we have just become terrible.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just the beginning. Australia will make an absolute meme out of this team.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    No, people like Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif were the worst thing that ever happened to Pakistan cricket.
    No Misbah is even worse than fixers. Pakistan recovered from the fixing scandal and produced players of same/better quality. While saviour sahab came in and changed our cricketing culture and he is doing the same again, however, it is stupid to argue with folks like you who are busy defending Misbah even after we have just been whitewashed 3-0 by SL C at home. Can't get more f'anboyish than that.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, if they never did what they did we would not have the Misbah Era. So your right the problem started back than. Although the third person you forgot to mention is in our team right now.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine if the 2010 fiasco hadn't happened, a loser like this guy wouldn't even have been in the side.
    Bro if 2010 hadn't happened:
    Amir would be #1 in the world
    Asif would be our best test bowler
    Butt would've been our backup Test opener

PAK cricket would've been much better off. For starters I'd say we would've surely won 2011 WC with the class of Amir/Asif as a bowling combo

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True... I didn't even follow todays match after we were doing tuk tuk in the powerplay and was outraged to see the score when we lost.

But all hail the saviour, long may he reign.
    The issue is when you know things are wrong from the beginning and see the results you expected as a person you get disinterested. Now normally Pakistanís losses effected me but now they are a joke. All I do is see the scorecard and laugh.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Ijaz Butt.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Ijaz Butt.
    If it is a toss up between Ijaz Butt and Misbah, I'll take the former every day of the week.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Stockholm
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along with Misbah we have terrible combo of Waqar.Ek ke saath ek free.Lost all progress made under Mickey

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullycricket View Post
    Along with Misbah we have terrible combo of Waqar.Ek ke saath ek free.Lost all progress made under Mickey
    Kasam se two times failed coach, now appointed as bowling coach on Misbah's insistence.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100%... He was hiding all his career by batting at #5 and people say if he comes one down and gets out then whole team would make 100 runs. Well the fact is if he was good enough he would have batted at #3. He maintained his stats by hiding behind.

Same logic we should bat Babar #5 because again if Babar gets out early then?

Him coming back in the dressing room is the second worse thing.. first worse thing was his inclusion in the ODI playing 11.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    100%... He was hiding all his career by batting at #5 and people say if he comes one down and gets out then whole team would make 100 runs. Well the fact is if he was good enough he would have batted at #3. He maintained his stats by hiding behind.

Same logic we should bat Babar #5 because again if Babar gets out early then?

Him coming back in the dressing room is the second worse thing.. first worse thing was his inclusion in the ODI playing 11.
    It's funny because Misbah fans used to give us long lectures that if Misbah changes his approach or is dropped from the team, we will struggle to score even 150. The fact was after Misbah's departure the team started scoring 300 at will.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 13th October 2019 at 10:13.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great move by PCB to destroy the dynamics of the team by removing MA and his team.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Match-fixing scandal was worse

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just waiting for Misbah to bring the likes of Hafeez-Malik-Sohail Tanvirs back.
    I hope Babar Azam and Haris Sohail stay away from Misbahs Batting Advice

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who was the genius who gave this loser the dual role to destroy Pakistan cricket .

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The answer here is a simple yes.

We can close this thread now as nothing else to say

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yes. This guy's mentality is a curse for Pakistan.

We were going along just fine. The team was developing into a unit. New players were given chances to prove themselves. Then, this Dictator comes and ruins everything.

There was nothing wrong with Mickey. He developed so many of our young players and brought in the right mentality. People talk about the test results but what team was he given to work with? Not only did he have to rebuild the white ball culture but had to build a test team as well? How is this fair for a coach when he isn't given full reign?

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The mentality is what's changed. Players aren't playing with the same freedom they were playing under Mickey.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

Already losing the plot, poor guy!

But isn't he used to losing? Like, Pak was the 9th ranked side when he left. This should be business as usual for him.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah getting defensive again with his replies. Take responsibility man you screwed up.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Venue
    California
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have preferred Mickey to stay as the coach. Misbah is going to ruin this team

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Man I thoroughly disliked Mickey's comment of "we hate losing"..... but surely this "left hand right hand" comment takes the cake.

And this guy is going to manage all of our cricket?

Allah hi hafiz hai bhai...

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Yes. This guy's mentality is a curse for Pakistan.

We were going along just fine. The team was developing into a unit. New players were given chances to prove themselves. Then, this Dictator comes and ruins everything.

There was nothing wrong with Mickey. He developed so many of our young players and brought in the right mentality. People talk about the test results but what team was he given to work with? Not only did he have to rebuild the white ball culture but had to build a test team as well? How is this fair for a coach when he isn't given full reign?
    You cannot ignore the dreadful losing streak in ODIs starting with the Asia Cup disaster and culminating with the World Cup embarrassment against West Indies which ultimately sealed Pakistan’s fate, even though Pakistan had the best possible preparation and time among all sides.

Mickey had lost the plot in ODIs even if we ignore his shambolic Test cricket. He had to go, but of course he will look good now when you replace him with a completely unqualified and inexperienced coach like Misbah.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

Wait a minute I am trying to make sense of this. What do these changes even do?

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I thoroughly disliked Mickey's comment of "we hate losing"..... but surely this "left hand right hand" comment takes the cake.

And this guy is going to manage all of our cricket?

Allah hi hafiz hai bhai...
    Remember his ‘burning my kit’ and ‘rocket launcher’ remarks? He resorts to these desperate, defensive comments when criticised rather than being a professional and accept responsibility.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No Misbah is even worse than fixers. Pakistan recovered from the fixing scandal and produced players of same/better quality. While saviour sahab came in and changed our cricketing culture and he is doing the same again, however, it is stupid to argue with folks like you who are busy defending Misbah even after we have just been whitewashed 3-0 by SL C at home. Can't get more f'anboyish than that.
    Misbah took Pakistan to #1 test ranking. Won Asia cup. Won ODI series in India and South Africa. Kept Pakistani players in check for several years and ensured that no off-field controversy took place. He left and the new captain was caught calling a South-African "kaala", got a beating of a life-time in the Asia cup and failed to qualify for the world cup semi-final in conditions better suited for Pakistan.

I will have Misbah over Sarfraz/Younis/Yousuf/Malik/Afridi as a captain/administrator any day of the week.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    No, winning the 1992 World Cup was the worst thing that happened to Pakistan cricket. It destroyed our mentality and our cricket culture. Had we won the 1987 World Cup instead, which we should have, Pakistan would have been a more professional outfit today. Winning the 1992 World Cup made us believe in the whole unpredictability and cornered tigers crap that has ruined our cricket.

We simply don’t know how to construct a team and do not understand the process of success. As a result, we rely on fluke results. Winning the 1987 World Cup would have ushered an era of professionalism. There was nothing unpredictable and our tigers were not concerned - we played professional cricket with a very strong team, dominating all but one match and there was a pattern to our success. Too bad it all went south in the semi-final.

The 1992 fluke has proved costlier than anything Misbah has done or might do. He himself is a product of unprofessionalism (in terms of his understanding of the game, not personality/attitude) that is rooted in the 1992 World Cup.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Misbah took Pakistan to #1 test ranking. Won Asia cup. Won ODI series in India and South Africa. Kept Pakistani players in check for several years and ensured that no off-field controversy took place. He left and the new captain was caught calling a South-African "kaala", got a beating of a life-time in the Asia cup and failed to qualify for the world cup semi-final in conditions better suited for Pakistan.

I will have Misbah over Sarfraz/Younis/Yousuf/Malik/Afridi as a captain/administrator any day of the week.
    Hahahahha its funny you brought WC in the argument. The WC performance in 2015 was the worst in Pakistan history under the captaincy of Misbah the saviour.

Sarfaraz won a world tournament that alone qualifies him as a better captain than Misbah.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 13th October 2019 at 10:14.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hahahahha its funny you brought WC in the argument. The WC performance in 2015 was the worst in Pakistan history under the captaincy of Misbah the saviour.

Sarfaraz won a world tournament that alone qualifies him as a better captain than Misbah. Even on his worst day Sarfaraz wipes the floor with shameless loser Misbah.
    Yes, a guy who averages in 20s as a captain wipes the floor with Misbah.

What a gem, keep them coming!

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think Misbah's done much.

The only thing I can think of is Babar playing slowly. He was a much different player (attitude-wise) in the T20s vs SA.

Also, he is playing his former teammates- Asif Ali and Shadab Khan, who have been terrible lately.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes, a guy who averages in 20s as a captain wipes the floor with Misbah.

What a gem, keep them coming!
    Yes because captaincy and batting are totally the same thing.

International tournament wins: Sarfaraz 1, Misbah 0.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    You cannot ignore the dreadful losing streak in ODIs starting with the Asia Cup disaster and culminating with the World Cup embarrassment against West Indies which ultimately sealed Pakistan’s fate, even though Pakistan had the best possible preparation and time among all sides.

Mickey had lost the plot in ODIs even if we ignore his shambolic Test cricket. He had to go, but of course he will look good now when you replace him with a completely unqualified and inexperienced coach like Misbah.
    Where were we in LOI cricket before Mickey came? I'm sure you remember.

Climbing the ladder is a long process. Mickey had to change the culture from scratch, build the young players up and instill fitness. It's inevitable they were gonna suffer losses while all this is taking place. But there were plenty of good signs. While the Champions Trophy win was great and showed what's possible if everyone played to their potential. However, the team wasn't there yet. We suffered some heavy losses against NZ which was part of the learning curve. It's one thing to play your best cricket for a month but winning consistently takes great discipline. They didn't have that at that moment nor quite the skill level to win against the top teams. However, they dismissed teams like Sri Lanka and West Indies quite easily. There was progress shown when Pakistan faced NZ again, they were on the verge of winning a series against a strong NZ side which we drew. Followed by a strong 2-3 showing in South Africa. The Windies loss was a poor one but the team rebounded by ending the World Cup strongly. The SL rainout was unfortunate.

Regardling the losing streak, on paper, it looks terrible but the team didn't play poor cricket. Against Australia, Pakistan didn't play their full strength team. Abid, Haris and Rizwan all scored centuries and we found some depth in the batting department. Against England, they very nearly matched their batting prowess in every match. Obviously, the result wasn't a desired one but for a team built from scratch with a changed mentality, to match the strongest batting lineup in the world on their turf, this was great progress. Long gone were the days where we were struggling to make 250 in ODI cricket and 160 in T20s.

On individual strength, yes the T20 team didn't quite match to Australia, India or England but they operated like a well-oiled machine as a unit and this showed in the rankings. They had a very impressive win in NZ having blanked Sri Lanka prior to that. Then, they went on to beat West Indies, Australia and NZ 9-0. This speaks for itself.

Pakistan had started scoring 300 and 160+ in T20s quite regularly after a long time. We'd finally caught to the world even if we weren't beating the top sides regularly. We at least knew we weren't out of the game before it even began because our batting could match those scores. These were the fruits of Mickey's labour. His tremendous determination and hard work has to be applauded. Instilling a fitness culture into a dheet qaum like Pakistan is a feat on its own. This has now finally trickled down to the lower levels.

I haven't spoken on the individual work he's done with players but that's for another topic.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Donít know about worse but defn gets boring/uninspiring under him.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Climbing the ladder is a long process. Mickey had to change the culture from scratch, build the young players up and instill fitness. It's inevitable they were gonna suffer losses while all this is taking place. But there were plenty of good signs. While the Champions Trophy win was great and showed what's possible if everyone played to their potential. However, the team wasn't there yet. We suffered some heavy losses against NZ which was part of the learning curve. It's one thing to play your best cricket for a month but winning consistently takes great discipline. They didn't have that at that moment nor quite the skill level to win against the top teams. However, they dismissed teams like Sri Lanka and West Indies quite easily. There was progress shown when Pakistan faced NZ again, they were on the verge of winning a series against a strong NZ side which we drew. Followed by a strong 2-3 showing in South Africa. The Windies loss was a poor one but the team rebounded by ending the World Cup strongly. The SL rainout was unfortunate.

Regardling the losing streak, on paper, it looks terrible but the team didn't play poor cricket. Against Australia, Pakistan didn't play their full strength team. Abid, Haris and Rizwan all scored centuries and we found some depth in the batting department. Against England, they very nearly matched their batting prowess in every match. Obviously, the result wasn't a desired one but for a team built from scratch with a changed mentality, to match the strongest batting lineup in the world on their turf, this was great progress. Long gone were the days where we were struggling to make 250 in ODI cricket and 160 in T20s.

On individual strength, yes the T20 team didn't quite match to Australia, India or England but they operated like a well-oiled machine as a unit and this showed in the rankings. They had a very impressive win in NZ having blanked Sri Lanka prior to that. Then, they went on to beat West Indies, Australia and NZ 9-0. This speaks for itself.

Pakistan had started scoring 300 and 160+ in T20s quite regularly after a long time. We'd finally caught to the world even if we weren't beating the top sides regularly. We at least knew we weren't out of the game before it even began because our batting could match those scores. These were the fruits of Mickey's labour. His tremendous determination and hard work has to be applauded. Instilling a fitness culture into a dheet qaum like Pakistan is a feat on its own. This has now finally trickled down to the lower levels.

I haven't spoken on the individual work he's done with players but that's for another topic.
    Explain Mickey's horrid test record then.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Asides from fixing drama, all things considered, I would have to say yes

#MPGA

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, winning the 1992 World Cup was the worst thing that happened to Pakistan cricket. It destroyed our mentality and our cricket culture. Had we won the 1987 World Cup instead, which we should have, Pakistan would have been a more professional outfit today. Winning the 1992 World Cup made us believe in the whole unpredictability and cornered tigers crap that has ruined our cricket.

We simply don’t know how to construct a team and do not understand the process of success. As a result, we rely on fluke results. Winning the 1987 World Cup would have ushered an era of professionalism. There was nothing unpredictable and our tigers were not concerned - we played professional cricket with a very strong team, dominating all but one match and there was a pattern to our success. Too bad it all went south in the semi-final.

The 1992 fluke has proved costlier than anything Misbah has done or might do. He himself is a product of unprofessionalism (in terms of his understanding of the game, not personality/attitude) that is rooted in the 1992 World Cup.
    And its time to bash imran khan not Misbah.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    Explain Mickey's horrid test record then.
    Started from Misbah time.We were number 7.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    Started from Misbah time.We were number 7.

Nope we were no. 6 . But Mickey failed in UAE tests especially.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    Nope we were no. 6 . But Mickey failed in UAE tests especially.
    Yes we failed but problem was inherited though he could not fix those.Lets see how Misbah does but result will be the same remember.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is just the beginning.

Now that we’ve been white-washed I won’t be surprised at all if a couple of more “experienced players” are added to the side because the youngsters are clearly the issue.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellipsism View Post
    This is just the beginning.

Now that we’ve been white-washed I won’t be surprised at all if a couple of more “experienced players” are added to the side because the youngsters are clearly the issue.
    Thats exactly what will happen. He will get even more defensive.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    A few years ago this thread would have bought a huge smile on my face

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    A few years ago this thread would have bought a huge smile on my face
    What changed?

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only was we can beat India if for some reason they hire Mibah as their coach.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes because captaincy and batting are totally the same thing.

International tournament wins: Sarfaraz 1, Misbah 0.

You forgot the U19 WC win in 2004 so it's actually

2, 0

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    What changed?
    Spot fixing scandal - a few years ago Misbah was regarded as the savior of Pakistan cricket (especially the Test team) so such a thread would have been unprecedented.

How times change

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    The only conclusion i have come he tried to proof mickey arthur wrong about umar akmal and ahmed shehzad which completely backfired and put mickey arthur in right place.
    That particular decision will shorten his tenture due to this he will also fear to give a chance to new comers which will be further disastrous
    Regardless he would never do that. If they were successful he will select them forever. Now he can recycle them after few series.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfectly summarized.

People here don't realize the kind of damage Misbah will do. There are NO excuses for losing to this Sri Lankan side, with all due respect to them. Getting whitewashed is just unfathomable. People keep bringing up the losses in South Africa and England, but go back and actually check the scorecards or highlights to realize we were never out of ANY of the three games we lost.

The fact is, Sri Lanka bulldozed us out of a chase by the 12th-13th over of our innings in all of these T20s. That's sad and pathetic, and no amount of non-funny one liners from Misbah will diffuse the blame he well and truly deserves.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sad thing is If Misbah stays 3 year we will not even qualify for 2023 World Cup. Like some poseter have already mentioned "Misbah has given job to destroy Pakistan cricket". Its already started.
    By end of next year we will be no. 9- 10 in every format.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute I am trying to make sense of this. What do these changes even do?
    It's sarcasm.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryin Out Loud View Post
    It's sarcasm.
    Yeah had to watch the actual press conference to know he was joking.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chief destroyer View Post
    where were we in loi cricket before mickey came? I'm sure you remember.

Climbing the ladder is a long process. Mickey had to change the culture from scratch, build the young players up and instill fitness. It's inevitable they were gonna suffer losses while all this is taking place. But there were plenty of good signs. While the champions trophy win was great and showed what's possible if everyone played to their potential. However, the team wasn't there yet. We suffered some heavy losses against nz which was part of the learning curve. It's one thing to play your best cricket for a month but winning consistently takes great discipline. They didn't have that at that moment nor quite the skill level to win against the top teams. However, they dismissed teams like sri lanka and west indies quite easily. There was progress shown when pakistan faced nz again, they were on the verge of winning a series against a strong nz side which we drew. Followed by a strong 2-3 showing in south africa. The windies loss was a poor one but the team rebounded by ending the world cup strongly. The sl rainout was unfortunate.

Regardling the losing streak, on paper, it looks terrible but the team didn't play poor cricket. Against australia, pakistan didn't play their full strength team. Abid, haris and rizwan all scored centuries and we found some depth in the batting department. Against england, they very nearly matched their batting prowess in every match. Obviously, the result wasn't a desired one but for a team built from scratch with a changed mentality, to match the strongest batting lineup in the world on their turf, this was great progress. Long gone were the days where we were struggling to make 250 in odi cricket and 160 in t20s.

On individual strength, yes the t20 team didn't quite match to australia, india or england but they operated like a well-oiled machine as a unit and this showed in the rankings. They had a very impressive win in nz having blanked sri lanka prior to that. Then, they went on to beat west indies, australia and nz 9-0. This speaks for itself.

Pakistan had started scoring 300 and 160+ in t20s quite regularly after a long time. We'd finally caught to the world even if we weren't beating the top sides regularly. We at least knew we weren't out of the game before it even began because our batting could match those scores. These were the fruits of mickey's labour. His tremendous determination and hard work has to be applauded. Instilling a fitness culture into a dheet qaum like pakistan is a feat on its own. This has now finally trickled down to the lower levels.

potw.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You're only saying this because of your dislike of IK and I acknowledge that in the past you have said that you try to treat IK the politician and IK the cricketer as if they are separate individuals, however there's no need to belittle Pakistan's most cherished moment of their history with such a deranged claim.

Like yourself I am starting to lose faith in IK as the leader of Pakistan, however unlike you that doesn't warrant me to knock what he accomplished as a cricketer.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good thread.

I'll also add the following:

8. 2011 WC Mohali Knock - at one point he was 17 off 42 balls

9. In 2013 got whitewashed by SA

10. The worst ever captain to tour Australia - he deserved to be exposed by Channel 9's commentary team, who were all equally disgusted by his tactics (leg side fields, using Yasir to bowl with the new ball and etc).

Misbah has done more harm to Pakistan cricket and it's time for his loyalists to come to terms with this.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I also concur with the above, this has to be POTW.

Mickey's critics also have a habit of bringing up one particular test series. Yes he was chiefly responsible for going with just one spinner in that 2017 Sri Lanka series that resulted in Pakistan getting whitewashed, however it wasn't entirely his fault because Sarfraz with his experience of playing in the UAE was unable to convince him to play two spinners and secondly there was no spin bowling coach at the time to advise him on this matter.
    Last edited by topspin; 10th October 2019 at 20:53.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    The 6ix
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And again he comes along and starts mentioning Asia cup again you couldn’t reply to my last post cause you were left speechless but again you don’t seem to learn. The obsession of living in the past is only your main course of practice as this is the 50th billion time you are mentioning Asia cup over and over again get out of the past mr 2018 it’s almost 2020.
    Last edited by MenInG; 10th October 2019 at 21:58.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The beauty of time when i don't have to speak about Misbah ul Haq, the rest of the world is doing so on their own which does not require me to talk

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is Misbah-ul-Haq the absolute worse thing to happen to Pakistan cricket ever?

Simply yes well almost.

The way he became captain after playing so slowly.

The way picked a team as coach... everyone knows it was wrong selection but him.

As captain he did well as a player. my question why
    can't pak players do that when they are not captain.

In history his not as bad as Salman Butt he has to be the worst ever. Captain of the team but you sell your soul for a few quid when millions around the world are praying for your success!

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Teflon Misbah: how can he NOT be fully responsible?

I am flabbergasted by the comments of Misbah-ul-Haq and his defenders after his appalling start to his international coaching and international selection careers.

Let's just rewind, shall we?

1. Misbah captained an elderly and underperforming international team.

2. As soon as he retired, Mickey Arthur rejuvenated the white ball teams with young blood, and results improved massively.

3. Misbah engineered the departure of the Head Coach Mickey Arthur.

4. Misbah then applied for BOTH that job - for which he had zero experience at any level - AND the Chief Selector position, and obtained both.

5. He then replaced young players with much older ones, and obtained far poorer results than Mickey Arthur. Goodbye youngsters, hello Iftikhar, Shehzad and Akmal.

And now he tries to shirk responsibility, saying "I didn't coach right-handers to become left-handers".

I'm very sorry, but if you become the most powerful cricket supremo ever, both Head Coach and Chief Selector, the Buck Stops Here.

Misbah is 100% responsible. End of.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What exactly Mickey Arthur did to rejuvenate the white ball team other than selecting performing youngsters from PSL (A platform which none of the coaches before had)? I have asked time and time again, which players were handpicked by Mickey? Answer is none. He rated Usama Mir really highly (Mickey's interview of PSL 2016 can be viewed) and never even picked him for one T20 and on top of that he didnt care about any domestic competition and wasnt even in Pakistan when those were taking place.

In ODIs we definitely jumped 2-3 places which was necessary but wasnt as difficult considering the teams like Srl, BD, WI were also struggling We werent able to beat any of the top 5 teams in and ODI series under Mickey Arthur. Achievement is what Travor Baylis did with England.

In T20s yes we went to number 1 but we werent exactly a poor side ever. While on the other hand we totally deteriorated in tests to no 7 which none of the Mickey's appreciators talk about.

You can argue about Misbah's selection but that has nothing to do with the fact the Mickey Arther didnt achieve anything in his tenure and except CT 17 and T20 series run, other than that we faced losses on every front.
    Last edited by Titan24; 11th October 2019 at 07:29.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also which young players were exactly replaced? Malik and Hafeez? Other than maybe Hussain Talat who also lacked shots just like the players playing, I cant think of any youngster being dropped. Please dont say Sahibzada Farhan, that guy needed to work on his game and I guess everybody here knows that.

He should be completely blamed for the loss and should be held accountable but saying he selected older players is not justified.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Also which young players were exactly replaced? Malik and Hafeez? Other than maybe Hussain Talat who also lacked shots just like the players playing, I cant think of any youngster being dropped. Please dont say Sahibzada Farhan, that guy needed to work on his game and I guess everybody here knows that.

He should be completely blamed for the loss and should be held accountable but saying he selected older players is not justified.
    Husnain Talat is another name. Neither Husnain nor Farhan are perfect batsmen, but they would've clearly been better selections than Shehzad and Akmal.

Also having the 35-year old Wahab in a T20 squad made no sense. I don't agree with the selection of Asif and Ifthikar either, but I can at least understand those. Wahab, Akmal, Shehzad were mind boggling selections

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coy0607 View Post
    Husnain Talat is another name. Neither Husnain nor Farhan are perfect batsmen, but they would've clearly been better selections than Shehzad and Akmal.

Also having the 35-year old Wahab in a T20 squad made no sense. I don't agree with the selection of Asif and Ifthikar either, but I can at least understand those. Wahab, Akmal, Shehzad were mind boggling selections
    I have already mentioned Hussain Talat along with the fact that he has as limited shots as the players selected. Nevertheless, he could have been selected. Farhan was clearly not ready and neither he performed in any of the domestic tournaments to warrant more opportunities. So just 1 or 2 players doesnt give validity to the fact that younsters were dropped and old players were selected especially when two of the oldest players in Malik and Hafeez were dropped.

Shaheen Shah was injured otherwise he would have been in the squad.