Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"We were thinking of ourselves as #1, how were we doing that?" : Misbah-ul-Haq

Misbah at a presser:

"SL's performances are an example for us. They outclassed us. In all 3 departments, it didn't look like we did better than them. All these things are in front of us which we need to work on. We need to answer a lot of questions ahead of the Australia series"

"It's disappointing. Mostly these players have taken Pakistan to #1 and they won a lot of matches, this kind of a performance is disappointing. It's a home series, home ground"

"After getting 4 out in the powerplay, letting a batsman on debut make almost 80 and then having wickets in hand and still losing the match, we played very poor cricket"

"When you have responsibility then you have to accept that. I picked the team and I am coaching it so the responsibility does come on me as well"

"But we need to find solutions fast because these are the same players who have been playing for a while"

"Before the series we were saying playing a new team, new talent, new players because SL's team isn't strong"

"It's a big eye-opener for our system, if we're losing with our best team to a team without their stars in a one-sided manner, where do we stand?"

"We were thinking of ourselves as #1, how were we doing that?"

"If all the responsibility is put on me, that's fine but this is mostly the same team that has been playing for 4 years"

"How much coaching will I have done in 10 days?"

"We will try to work on our shortcomings. Where we feel we need players, we'll try to bring them in and play them"

"This series is a big blow for us all"

(What has changed in these 10 days since you took over) "I think the change (tabdeeli) is that I have come in, I have made the right handed players become left-handed and made the left-handed bowlers bowl with their right hands. That's all that I can think so right now, I'm trying to figure it out"

(Regarding wicket-keeper batsman) "Yes, we just need a wicket-keeper and all the other 10 players are fine. I think we need a lot of things in this team. Our overall performance was poor. Regarding Shadab, which wrist-spinner do we have? We have had 24 teams playing FC cricket, tell me about one wrist-spinner who we aren't picking? Tell me one name. Tell me about one player who is playing FC cricket. (Someone says Usman Qadir) Is Usman Qadir playing FC cricket? We are also seeing this problem as you are, but when we see a player in front of us then we'll pick him. The problem is that we have to see players from the bottom and we need to groom them. So with 6 teams, we (committee with Rashid Latif, Nadeem Khan) tried to pick any available wrist-spinner and them in teams so that they play and we can have some backup. There's no backup for Yasir Shah and Shadab Khan. The problem is availability, we are working on it"

"Regarding strategy, it's simple. With T20, I have mentioned before as well that your first target is to win the powerplay. You need to see what the opposition is doing and see what you need to do. If they are making 50 in the powerplay, you need to make more than that. If you bat first, you need to try and make 50+, even if you lose 2 wickets. The top 3 batsman should charge out, which is not happening in the first 6 overs. We're losing wickets and we're not even scoring at 6 an over. In the middle overs, it's simple, you need to make 7-8 runs per over from overs 6-15. In the last 5 overs, you go all out. You plan to make 170-180 and this is our plan"

"With bowling, you try and get early wickets, pick up 2-3 wickets in the powerplay, you don't defend. In between, take wickets and finish well. The strategy is simple. That we're not managing to execute is a worry. Why are we missing chances in the field? We need to work on these things"

"I think that saying that they (Babar Azam and Haris Sohail) were playing for themselves is wrong. I think that they couldn't adapt to the slowness of the pitch. They were trying to hit but they couldn't connect so there were dot balls and frustration built up. That happened with Babar in all the matches, he couldn't time the ball. Saying that they were playing for themselves, they are our top players and their position in the team isn't such that anyone can challenge it, that they need to score today for their spots in the team. They couldn't adapt and also SL mixed up their bowling. A big factor has been their spinners specially their leg-spinner. Even today he went for few runs, we couldn't read his googly and we didn't play him well. They played all our bowlers well"

"Where our eyes needed to open up, you people (media) also needed your eyes to open up. The way we go after the seniors like in the World Cup, do this, do that etc., we forget their performances. No doubt that Hafeez and Malik not being here, no matter what their performances are otherwise, they are 2 players who play spin the best. And that was a problem for us in this whole series. Our younger lot play fast-bowlers better but since they don't play leggies that often, they struggle to pick them and that's a big reason for us not getting to the targets in the last two games"

"So sometimes we make up our minds on these things and say no, this, that, without analysing it, then we realise later on what we missed"

"SL were underdogs, they weren't taking pressure and they had nothing to lose. They played very well, they executed their plans well and we were not even par, we were poor in all departments and that cost us the series"

"I told the gameplan earlier, they were 44/4. Before going out there, I told the team we need to win the powerplay. If they make 45, we need to make more than that. We can't let the required rate go out of hand. The instructions were clear. I will definitely ask the batsman what problem there was that there were 2 out and the RRR was allowed to go to 14"

(Why wasn't Abid Ali picked, Fakhar Zaman has only 1 hundred) "If Fakhar Zaman has hit only 1 hundred then how is his average 47? With just one hundred, I think his average would be 10. Abid Ali no doubt is a good batsman and he has a good SR in ODIs too. But in T20s, he will need to prove himself before coming into the team. He has an average in 20s and SR of 104, if I pick him now then you will shoot me here and say how can you pick this guy? There's a T20 tournament coming up, so he can play in that and prove himself, score with a good SR which we need in international cricket. He's a very good batsman, the doors are open for anyone"

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah Misbah you cannot wait to take us back to our rightful place (as per you) to number 9th in the rank....

Mein inko rolaonga

NaMo se Namonay tak ka safar..... chaiwala

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Brilliant and very logical from Misbah.

Totally killed the myth that Misbah instructed Babar to bat at 80 SR.

Pakistan fans have really no shame.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6040 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Well you would know because you did call us the number 1 team after the first T20. Looks like two games later, he has finally realized that our number 1 ranking is among the biggest and funniest jokes in cricket history. A team ranking has never been this misleading.

Even our number 1 ranking in Tests in Sept 2016, which we achieved thanks to a washout between India and West Indies, had a shred of credibility because we were decent in the UAE and probably 4th or 5th best Test side. However, this T20 team hasn’t been any better than 6th or 7th throughout its fake winning streak.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant comments from Misbah. Hopefully he changes things up a bit - get some new pacers and a finger spinner in the team and sack sarfraz.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOLzzz this guy will only talk. He has no idea how coaching is done. Its all about the mindset, This clown being in charge will bring the defensive mindset and lots of more embarrassing defeats on the way. By the time he realizes that he will be kicked out of the setup and he will say, not enough time.

Keep talking to reporters and give smart answers, fact is Misbah will take team backwards and so does his players... keep watching time will tell!!!!

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the 80% win rate may be the reason!

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah: (What has changed in these 10 days since you took over) "I think the change (tabdeeli) is that I have come in, I have made the right handed players become left-handed and made the left-handed bowlers bowl with their right hands. That's all that I can think so right now, I'm trying to figure it out"

Response: Although Pakistan's No.1 Ranking in T20 was hollow, the team had some method in how it won games. Misbah's decision to bring in one or two players isn't a problem. His decision to try new things isn't a problem. The problem is that none of his decisions were founded in logic or any aligned strategy. It was literally a case of throwing things against the wall and hoping for the best.

Misbah: Yes, we just need a wicket-keeper and all the other 10 players are fine.

Response: I'm assuming Misbah is being funny here, but developing wicketkeepers has been a problem for Pakistan, for two reasons. One, we don't know what to expect from a keeper. Two, for a long time Pakistan has not picked its keeper on merit. Kamran Akmal at the end, Adnan Akmal in the beginning, and now Sarfraz Ahmed at the end are playing despite merit.

Misbah: Our overall performance was poor. Regarding Shadab, which wrist-spinner do we have? We have had 24 teams playing FC cricket, tell me about one wrist-spinner who we aren't picking? Tell me one name. Tell me about one player who is playing FC cricket. (Someone says Usman Qadir) Is Usman Qadir playing FC cricket? We are also seeing this problem as you are, but when we see a player in front of us then we'll pick him. The problem is that we have to see players from the bottom and we need to groom them. So with 6 teams, we (committee with Rashid Latif, Nadeem Khan) tried to pick any available wrist-spinner and them in teams so that they play and we can have some backup. There's no backup for Yasir Shah and Shadab Khan. The problem is availability, we are working on it"

Response: Misbah is right, Pakistan is not producing world beating spinners. He's also right that he, Rashid Latif, and Nadeem Khan tried to insert leg spinners into first class cricket. This is a good thing. But why is their fear in picking Yasir Shah in T20, Usama Mir, Shahzaib Ahmed, Ahsan Jamil, or Zahid Mahmood. Do we have to play a leg spinner? I personally think Bilal Asif is a very miserly off-spinner who should be part of our plans. Why aren't we producing talent?

1. There is No Merit in the Pakistan Team, the First Class System, or the Club System
    2. Those Responsible for Identifying Talent Simply Do Not Know How To?
    3. Those Responsible for Coaching and Developing Talent Do Not Know How?

Misbah: "Regarding strategy, it's simple. With T20, I have mentioned before as well that your first target is to win the powerplay. You need to see what the opposition is doing and see what you need to do. If they are making 50 in the powerplay, you need to make more than that. If you bat first, you need to try and make 50+, even if you lose 2 wickets. The top 3 batsman should charge out, which is not happening in the first 6 overs. We're losing wickets and we're not even scoring at 6 an over. In the middle overs, it's simple, you need to make 7-8 runs per over from overs 6-15. In the last 5 overs, you go all out. You plan to make 170-180 and this is our plan"

Response: I commend Misbah if this was in fact his strategy. He obviously failed to implement it. Why? Because players don't trust the system. In the 30 years that I've watched International Cricket, there is no rhyme or reason to selection. Players aren't selected for being good players. They aren't always dropped for underperformance or being bad players. Things just happen and there are no reasons. It's a money thing. Players have to preserve their position in the team because every time they bat or bowl, their livelihood is at stake. This is the culmination of a years and years of poor selection.

Misbah: "With bowling, you try and get early wickets, pick up 2-3 wickets in the powerplay, you don't defend. In between, take wickets and finish well. The strategy is simple. That we're not managing to execute is a worry. Why are we missing chances in the field? We need to work on these things"

Response: This is not a strategy. It is a hopeful outcome. A coach is supposed to help the bowlers come up with a strategy to take early wickets. Taking early wickets is not a strategy onto itself.

Misbah: "I think that saying that they (Babar Azam and Haris Sohail) were playing for themselves is wrong. I think that they couldn't adapt to the slowness of the pitch. They were trying to hit but they couldn't connect so there were dot balls and frustration built up. That happened with Babar in all the matches, he couldn't time the ball. Saying that they were playing for themselves, they are our top players and their position in the team isn't such that anyone can challenge it, that they need to score today for their spots in the team. They couldn't adapt and also SL mixed up their bowling. A big factor has been their spinners specially their leg-spinner. Even today he went for few runs, we couldn't read his googly and we didn't play him well. They played all our bowlers well"

Response: Partially true but Haris isn't a regular in T20. Because of injuries and selection Haris hasn't played a lot of T20 Cricket. Lets remember that rather than allowing Haris to cement his place and position in the First XI, Misbah dropped him in the first two games to experiment with Haris.

Misbah: "Where our eyes needed to open up, you people (media) also needed your eyes to open up. The way we go after the seniors like in the World Cup, do this, do that etc., we forget their performances. No doubt that Hafeez and Malik not being here, no matter what their performances are otherwise, they are 2 players who play spin the best. And that was a problem for us in this whole series. Our younger lot play fast-bowlers better but since they don't play leggies that often, they struggle to pick them and that's a big reason for us not getting to the targets in the last two games"

Response: Wrong Again. Our younger players are good players of poor bowling. They neither play spin well or fast bowling. Who on this team can hit a fast bowler over his head for 6. Nobody. May be Asif Ali. Sometimes I wonder if these guys actually know anything about cricket.

Misbah: (Why wasn't Abid Ali picked, Fakhar Zaman has only 1 hundred) "If Fakhar Zaman has hit only 1 hundred then how is his average 47? With just one hundred, I think his average would be 10. Abid Ali no doubt is a good batsman and he has a good SR in ODIs too. But in T20s, he will need to prove himself before coming into the team. He has an average in 20s and SR of 104, if I pick him now then you will shoot me here and say how can you pick this guy? There's a T20 tournament coming up, so he can play in that and prove himself, score with a good SR which we need in international cricket. He's a very good batsman, the doors are open for anyone"

Response: Funny stuff and fair comment by Misbah. He's a 100% correct. The media in Pakistan are a bunch of incompetent jokers.

Conclusion: Misbah's saving grace so far has been his wit in Press Conferences.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Brilliant and very logical from Misbah.

Totally killed the myth that Misbah instructed Babar to bat at 80 SR.

Pakistan fans have really no shame.
    No one said he was instructed to bat at a low strike rate. This is a continuation of the Mickey Arthur era. FYI, Babar's strike rate in last years PSL was 115.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one hell of a zero-to-full-on-defensive ride by Misbah.

The downside of getting him selected through a process in which he was the judge.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    That is one hell of a zero-to-full-on-defensive ride by Misbah.

The downside of getting him selected through a process in which he was the judge.
    Loving the public humiliation he is facing.

He cheated Mickey out of the position so that he can get himself the position, but as they say karma is a ...........

Mein inko rolaonga

NaMo se Namonay tak ka safar..... chaiwala

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    903 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really pathetic comments by Misbah. Blaming the previous coaching system (i.e: Mickey Arthur) for the loses but not himself. These comments especially are not fitting for a international team coach:

"If all the responsibility is put on me, that's fine but this is mostly the same team that has been playing for 4 years"

PCB chairmen are complex. They are airdropped from Mars."
    Shoaib Akhtar

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only point I accept is malik and hafeez in Asia where those two would have played spinners better than the new lot. But they were dropped after WC in England where those two always had poor records. But worrying but is that he is accepting we have to rely on 35+ players to beat 2nd string Srilanka.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bunch of excuses as usual. Once again playing with his words to get his ******* excited. Since they like words rather than results.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can this guy inspire even an iota of confidence in his players? At least Mickey was tough, had strong belief in the team and was up for the challenge. This guy reeks of defeatism! Such a bad personality to be around in a competitive setup.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bad result, but we did learn quite a bit from this. Iftikhar and Abid are good options for the team. I also think you had to try out domestic performers like Shehzad and Akmal, there aren't many to choose from and better to see if they'd improved or not early on to his coaching stint rather than just before a world cup. Even support Haris getting a T20 game, guys like him and Imam need the odd practice now and again in T20s to continue work accelerating their SR in ODIs if they're expected to be mainstay.

We've got around identified about 7 batting options for ODIs in: Imam, Fakhar, Babar, Haris, Iftikhar, Imad, Abid so from that should be able to create a consistent performing line up just from that.

In T20s, all we have are Fakhar, Babar, Imad and now iftikhar. We'll probably have to try out 2 or so more batsman to fill up remaining spots.

Shadab was disappointing, and we need to look for replacements/back ups for him. There isn't much right now but hopefully the new domestic system will root up some. I would expect Zafar Gohar to be picked up now, would be the natural next option to turn to.

Sarfraz was a massive disappointment however and we have to seriously consider getting in Rizwan for the next tour now.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like Wasim Khan and Misbah both will be kicked out by the end of this year... There should be accountability for COO as well.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He doesn't need to pick a legspinner. i don't understand what is the fascination of picking a legspinner for the sake of it.

Either way if a legspinner was required, i think Usama Mir would have done a better job than Shadab.

Babar clearly looked out of touch and couldn't time the ball at all throughout the series.

Playing spin is a problem- hopefully somebody can emerge in National T20. Khushdil has dine well vs spin so maybe he can be in consideration with a good tournament.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    He doesn't need to pick a legspinner. i don't understand what is the fascination of picking a legspinner for the sake of it.

Either way if a legspinner was required, i think Usama Mir would have done a better job than Shadab.

Babar clearly looked out of touch and couldn't time the ball at all throughout the series.

Playing spin is a problem- hopefully somebody can emerge in National T20. Khushdil has dine well vs spin so maybe he can be in consideration with a good tournament.
    Exactly. Never understood that why is a leggy being considered a must. If there is no decent option than no point in forcing it like Inzi and Mickey did with Yasir against Aus and Eng.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post

Great point. You should pick Quality before you pick a specific skill. There is merit in picking a leg spinner in all formats. But as demonstrated throughout the history of cricket quality trumps skill.

In the recently concluded Test Match between South Africa and India, South Africa picked 3 spinners. South Africa rarely plays 2 spinners let alone 3. But they got it stuck in their heads that they were coming to India and needed to flood their lineup with spinners. The problem, those spinners lacked the quality to take the wickets of Indian batsman. Not only did they not take wickets, they leaked runs. The result, a significant defeat.

I like what Misbah and Rashid Latif did in domestic cricket. They promoted leg spinners. That is good for the future of Pakistan Cricket. But if results matter, and they do. This squad should've had another leg spinner. IMO that person shouldve been either Yasir Shah or Usama Mir. This squad should also include the next best spinner after Shadab Khan. Is it Umer Khan? Is it Bilal Asif?

Shadab Khan is not a victim of form. He is a victim of poor development. That responsibility must fall on the shoulders of the PCB, the Chief Selector, the Head Coach, the Captain, and the Player Himself. As I keep saying, none of these positions are aligned.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha. What an embarassingly bad press conference by Misbah.

Does he not have any shame? His answers are ridiculous.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the same guy, that in his genius, was 19 off 42 balls in the semi-final against India at Mohali when the required run rate was like 8+ per over. I'm sure he is using the same tactical genius today.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even funnier - he dumped his two new picks, Shehzad and Akmal - out of pressure. If he had any conviction or strength, he would have played them again.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unemployedgm View Post
    Misbah: (What has changed in these 10 days since you took over) "I think the change (tabdeeli) is that I have come in, I have made the right handed players become left-handed and made the left-handed bowlers bowl with their right hands. That's all that I can think so right now, I'm trying to figure it out"

Response: Although Pakistan's No.1 Ranking in T20 was hollow, the team had some method in how it won games. Misbah's decision to bring in one or two players isn't a problem. His decision to try new things isn't a problem. The problem is that none of his decisions were founded in logic or any aligned strategy. It was literally a case of throwing things against the wall and hoping for the best.

Misbah: Yes, we just need a wicket-keeper and all the other 10 players are fine.

Response: I'm assuming Misbah is being funny here, but developing wicketkeepers has been a problem for Pakistan, for two reasons. One, we don't know what to expect from a keeper. Two, for a long time Pakistan has not picked its keeper on merit. Kamran Akmal at the end, Adnan Akmal in the beginning, and now Sarfraz Ahmed at the end are playing despite merit.

Misbah: Our overall performance was poor. Regarding Shadab, which wrist-spinner do we have? We have had 24 teams playing FC cricket, tell me about one wrist-spinner who we aren't picking? Tell me one name. Tell me about one player who is playing FC cricket. (Someone says Usman Qadir) Is Usman Qadir playing FC cricket? We are also seeing this problem as you are, but when we see a player in front of us then we'll pick him. The problem is that we have to see players from the bottom and we need to groom them. So with 6 teams, we (committee with Rashid Latif, Nadeem Khan) tried to pick any available wrist-spinner and them in teams so that they play and we can have some backup. There's no backup for Yasir Shah and Shadab Khan. The problem is availability, we are working on it"

Response: Misbah is right, Pakistan is not producing world beating spinners. He's also right that he, Rashid Latif, and Nadeem Khan tried to insert leg spinners into first class cricket. This is a good thing. But why is their fear in picking Yasir Shah in T20, Usama Mir, Shahzaib Ahmed, Ahsan Jamil, or Zahid Mahmood. Do we have to play a leg spinner? I personally think Bilal Asif is a very miserly off-spinner who should be part of our plans. Why aren't we producing talent?

1. There is No Merit in the Pakistan Team, the First Class System, or the Club System
    2. Those Responsible for Identifying Talent Simply Do Not Know How To?
    3. Those Responsible for Coaching and Developing Talent Do Not Know How?

Misbah: "Regarding strategy, it's simple. With T20, I have mentioned before as well that your first target is to win the powerplay. You need to see what the opposition is doing and see what you need to do. If they are making 50 in the powerplay, you need to make more than that. If you bat first, you need to try and make 50+, even if you lose 2 wickets. The top 3 batsman should charge out, which is not happening in the first 6 overs. We're losing wickets and we're not even scoring at 6 an over. In the middle overs, it's simple, you need to make 7-8 runs per over from overs 6-15. In the last 5 overs, you go all out. You plan to make 170-180 and this is our plan"

Response: I commend Misbah if this was in fact his strategy. He obviously failed to implement it. Why? Because players don't trust the system. In the 30 years that I've watched International Cricket, there is no rhyme or reason to selection. Players aren't selected for being good players. They aren't always dropped for underperformance or being bad players. Things just happen and there are no reasons. It's a money thing. Players have to preserve their position in the team because every time they bat or bowl, their livelihood is at stake. This is the culmination of a years and years of poor selection.

Misbah: "With bowling, you try and get early wickets, pick up 2-3 wickets in the powerplay, you don't defend. In between, take wickets and finish well. The strategy is simple. That we're not managing to execute is a worry. Why are we missing chances in the field? We need to work on these things"

Response: This is not a strategy. It is a hopeful outcome. A coach is supposed to help the bowlers come up with a strategy to take early wickets. Taking early wickets is not a strategy onto itself.

Misbah: "I think that saying that they (Babar Azam and Haris Sohail) were playing for themselves is wrong. I think that they couldn't adapt to the slowness of the pitch. They were trying to hit but they couldn't connect so there were dot balls and frustration built up. That happened with Babar in all the matches, he couldn't time the ball. Saying that they were playing for themselves, they are our top players and their position in the team isn't such that anyone can challenge it, that they need to score today for their spots in the team. They couldn't adapt and also SL mixed up their bowling. A big factor has been their spinners specially their leg-spinner. Even today he went for few runs, we couldn't read his googly and we didn't play him well. They played all our bowlers well"

Response: Partially true but Haris isn't a regular in T20. Because of injuries and selection Haris hasn't played a lot of T20 Cricket. Lets remember that rather than allowing Haris to cement his place and position in the First XI, Misbah dropped him in the first two games to experiment with Haris.

Misbah: "Where our eyes needed to open up, you people (media) also needed your eyes to open up. The way we go after the seniors like in the World Cup, do this, do that etc., we forget their performances. No doubt that Hafeez and Malik not being here, no matter what their performances are otherwise, they are 2 players who play spin the best. And that was a problem for us in this whole series. Our younger lot play fast-bowlers better but since they don't play leggies that often, they struggle to pick them and that's a big reason for us not getting to the targets in the last two games"

Response: Wrong Again. Our younger players are good players of poor bowling. They neither play spin well or fast bowling. Who on this team can hit a fast bowler over his head for 6. Nobody. May be Asif Ali. Sometimes I wonder if these guys actually know anything about cricket.

Misbah: (Why wasn't Abid Ali picked, Fakhar Zaman has only 1 hundred) "If Fakhar Zaman has hit only 1 hundred then how is his average 47? With just one hundred, I think his average would be 10. Abid Ali no doubt is a good batsman and he has a good SR in ODIs too. But in T20s, he will need to prove himself before coming into the team. He has an average in 20s and SR of 104, if I pick him now then you will shoot me here and say how can you pick this guy? There's a T20 tournament coming up, so he can play in that and prove himself, score with a good SR which we need in international cricket. He's a very good batsman, the doors are open for anyone"

Response: Funny stuff and fair comment by Misbah. He's a 100% correct. The media in Pakistan are a bunch of incompetent jokers.

Conclusion: Misbah's saving grace so far has been his wit in Press Conferences.
    Brilliant response 👌

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Jeddah, Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah has to be high on something when he says there's a lack of spinners in Pakistan

Has he not seen Usama Mir, Umer Khan, Zafar Gohar, Mohammad Asghar, Bilal Asif and Hasan Khan?

This coming from a guy who doesn't even watch domestic cricket much.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Well you would know because you did call us the number 1 team after the first T20. Looks like two games later, he has finally realized that our number 1 ranking is among the biggest and funniest jokes in cricket history. A team ranking has never been this misleading.

Even our number 1 ranking in Tests in Sept 2016, which we achieved thanks to a washout between India and West Indies, had a shred of credibility because we were decent in the UAE and probably 4th or 5th best Test side. However, this T20 team hasn’t been any better than 6th or 7th throughout its fake winning streak.
    Your claims aren't backed by stats. Pakistan has been winning t20 matches and series for a long time, it's only 2019 where the performances dropped. Players were rusty after a long break. The batting ordered was fiddled with, Shaheen Afridi was missing who lit up our world Cup campaign, the first 2 matches the middle order was loaded with tried and tested failures and Hafeez was dropped who has been the key in both bowling and batting giving us the right boost in middle overs.

I am not worried if we can restore the old team bar Shoaib Malik.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    For those people keep saying "Pakistan was no. 1 by fluke, what is our actual ranking then? 10?12?"
    The way we played against SL D team we are potential to get whitewash even by Bangladesh, Afghanistan and loose series to Zimbabwe, Ireland and Scotland.
    Top team like India, England, NZ will win against our current team by at least 100 runs.
    We were no. 1 by winning against top team not playing against Kenya, Nigeria, Japan type teams.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadi Rizvi View Post
    Misbah has to be high on something when he says there's a lack of spinners in Pakistan

Has he not seen Usama Mir, Umer Khan, Zafar Gohar, Mohammad Asghar, Bilal Asif and Hasan Khan?

The fact is he doesn't want to give opportunities to young players so making excuses with no talent stupidity.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trickyone View Post
    It seems like Wasim Khan and Misbah both will be kicked out by the end of this year... There should be accountability for COO as well.
    Very unlikely!!!!PCB will suffer huge financial loss.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Loving the public humiliation he is facing.

He cheated Mickey out of the position so that he can get himself the position, but as they say karma is a ...........
    If anyone deserves humiliation, that is Sarfaraz

P.S: not a misbah fan

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    typicial misbah negativity

New Era of Team Pakistan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Only Usama Mir out of those is a leg-spinner. He is good but has had very few opportunities over the past couple of years.

Hopefully some more of the leggies do well this season. Not too promising in the QEA Trophy so far though.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah threw a lot of people under bus, Misbah take the blame, you picked Ahmad Shehzad and Umar Akmal for first two games, previous coaching staff labelled them poison for a reason.
    What was the plan, Amir bowls first over or the second why was he brought in to do damage control. After 4 wickets down why did captain didnt attack. What happened to batting, why did likes of Imad and Asif try to hit six of the first balls, why was Imad came at number 5 instead of Iftikhar. *** happened to fielding why are Pak players look clueless all the sudden. Their so many WHYS after watching the series that Misbah needs to answer.
    What was game plan.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imranq View Post
    Really pathetic comments by Misbah. Blaming the previous coaching system (i.e: Mickey Arthur) for the loses but not himself. These comments especially are not fitting for a international team coach:

Totally agree.

Misbah's motives have never been in the best interest of Pakistan cricket. That has been apparent since the 2011 Mohali innings and he's showing his true colours here once again.

The fact that he stabbed Mickey in the back and subsequently went on to replace him (despite the blatant conflict of interest) shows this man is filled with nothing but greed and selfishness. The difference between me and most of the posters on here is the fact that I knew of his character from day one.

He comes across as a harmless and dignified individual but in the inside he's a contrast of those traits.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Misbah had good coaching ethic, and had accolade in his role then he should not blame anyone but himself. This is the inexperience in him talking nonsense and trying to deflect the series lose to other people.

Man up and take the lose and admit the experiment he did by bringing in UA and AS at the same time had a negative effect on the team.

Also, Why is there a "need" for a leg spinner in our team? If we do not have quality Leggie then don't force one in the team. We used to win games with Ajmal and Hafeez, where were the leggies then?

I just hope this is a reality check for Misbah and crew and they can turn things around ASAP. This will be his true test.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan were no.1 because they were the best t20 side for a long, long time. It is sad to see the form of Fakhar drop so drastically, Shadab not bowling as well as he used to, Hasan Ali no longer first choice....and so on.

The best players are no longer the best players and that will need to be rectified.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Jeddah, Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Only Usama Mir out of those is a leg-spinner. He is good but has had very few opportunities over the past couple of years.

Hopefully some more of the leggies do well this season. Not too promising in the QEA Trophy so far though.
    Well you have to work with what you've got.
    Atleast give these guys some exposure.
    It's not necessary that we only select leg-spinners. A good off-spinner can do the job too.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It's not necessary that we only select leg-spinners. A good off-spinner can do the job too.
    Not many off-spinners either.... We have a plethora of slow left-armers though.

Agreed that no point in selecting a leggie if not good enough.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a chinaman bowler playing. Hopefully he can perform.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You cannot be consistent in this format if every team takes this seriously. This is why T20 ranking should be taken with a pinch of salt

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all T20 rankings are a joke- no team except Pakistan probably cares about bilateral T20 series. Instead of wasting time on a T20 series, would have been happier if the team had spent time & resources improving the Test & ODI ranks - especially with the ongoing Test championship at stake.

Second, persisting with TTFs like Shahzad, Akmal & even Sarfaraz is not exactly the way forward in any format. We need to get more persistent chances to Haris Sohail & the benchstrength to achieve any kind of efficacy.

Third- get a good spinner, pronto!

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    North side of Londonnn
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Maybe if you have a look at stats and choose players that are fit to play the format then maybe you wouldn't stress out so much. If you want to help Pak cricket then leave.