User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Wagatha Christie case: Rebekah Vardy loses libel trial against Coleen Rooney

Last edited by MenInG; 10th October 2019 at 18:28.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Coleen Rooney has claimed that someone using Rebekah Vardy's Instagram account has leaked stories about her to a tabloid newspaper.

The wife of Wayne Rooney says she spent five months working out who was giving out information from her personal Instagram account.

She claims she worked out it was Rebekah's account by blocking everyone else's account apart from hers.

Rebekah - the wife of Jamie Vardy - has denied the allegation.

Both Wayne and Jamie have played together for the England football team.

Posting on Twitter, Coleen claimed that someone she trusted to follow her on her personal Instagram account has been leaking stories to the Sun newspaper for several years.

"After a long time of trying to figure out who it could be, for various reasons, I had a suspicion."

In order to try to prove it, she came up with a plan in which she blocked everyone from viewing her Instagram stories apart from one account.

After that, she posted various false stories on to her account to see if they ended up in the newspaper - which she says they did.

The stories Coleen mentioned were about gender selection in Mexico, being excited to go on Strictly Come Dancing and one about a flooded basement.

"It's been tough keeping it to myself and not making any comment at all, especially when the stories have been leaked; however, I had to. Now I know for certain which account/individual it's come from.

"I have saved and screenshotted all the original stories which clearly show just one person has viewed them.

"It's... Rebekah Vardy's account."

Coleen's post on Twitter had more than 12,000 retweets and 42,000 likes within an hour of it being uploaded.

Rebekah Vardy has responded to the claims in a message back to Coleen.

She denied it was her and said she wishes Coleen had spoken to her directly about her suspicion as she would have changed the password to her account.

"Over the years various people have had access to my Insta and just this week I found I was following people I didn't know or have never followed myself," she said.

"I'm not being funny but I don't need the money, what would I gain from selling stories on you?"

She added: "I'm disgusted that I'm even having to deny this. You should've called me the first time it happened."

Now, The BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme has learned Rebekah has instructed lawyers to do a "forensic investigation" on her Instagram account to see who has had access to it and when.

The Sun newspaper said it did not want to comment on the claim, but it has removed one of the three stories Coleen flagged.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49985658

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rich logon kay Rich muslay

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    When Sun is involved, this will happen

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I try to ignore gossip.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two WAGS with nothing else to do then fight over stupid things. Coleen should just admire her handsome husband

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Mrs Vardy won't let it rest.

A little dig at Colleen Rooney after Jamie Vardy's hat-trick.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    this deserves a QOTW.

btw i wonder if the Pakistani cricketers WAGS ever have such issues with each other

Pompei is an example of Liberalism gone mad- Technics1210

And we thought it was plate tectonics

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well Mrs Vardy is clearly lying loool.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    this deserves a QOTW.

btw i wonder if the Pakistani cricketers WAGS ever have such issues with each other
    I wouldn't be surprised.

Heard there's some competition amongst the Pakistani WAGS.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Rebekah Vardy is gunning for revenge against Coleen Rooney after launched a £1million High Court defamation lawsuit.

The 38-year-old wife of Leicester City and England striker Jamie Vardy has accused Coleen of defamation after Coleen made claims on social media over the leaking of stories.

The October 2019 bust-up, which was dubbed 'Wagatha Christie', came about after Coleen claimed she posted a string of false stories on her Instagram account with restricted access, with the sole purpose of seeing if they appeared in the media.

When they subsequently did, she claimed that the fake stories had only been viewed by Rebekah's Insta account, ending with the reveal: "It’s . . . Rebekah Vardy’s account."

This has led a furious Rebekah seeking an apology from Coleen and the pair are set to clash in court in what could be the most explosive celebrity case of all time.

The Sun has reported that the two mums have sought mediation to try and resolve their differences but they are still set for the High Court, with legal costs reportedly set to hit £500,000 on each side.

With reports the pair are prepared to stand up before a judge if necessary, a source told the newspaper that Rebekah is more concerned about clearing her name and having a public apology than any financial settlement.

The insider said: "As far as Becky is concerned, she wants her costs and vindication.

"But since Coleen still refuses to agree to an apology, she's gone ahead with filing the paperwork at the High Court."

It is not expected that the case will be heard in court until the new year, as the one-time friends prepare to do battle in a legal minefield.

A source has said that the case is "far from clear cut".

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...ooney-22236353
    Last edited by MenInG; 23rd June 2020 at 16:36.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lol *** this is hilarious.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rebekah Vardy felt 'suicidal' over Coleen Rooney claims

Rebekah Vardy felt "suicidal" following her row with Coleen Rooney last year, new court documents reveal.

Coleen Rooney, 34, claimed on social media that fake stories she posted on her private Instagram account were then published in the tabloids.

She said she deliberately made stories only viewable to Vardy - which then made it into The Sun.

Rebekah Vardy, 38, denies all allegations against her and is currently suing Rooney for defamation.

The documents, written by Rebekah Vardy's lawyers, say the fallout from the claim affected her mental and physical health - and the health of her family too.

They say "she suffered from severe panic attacks and anxiety which manifested in being scared to leave the house".

Vardy, who was seven months pregnant at the time of Rooney's post, "was taken to hospital three times while pregnant as she suffered anxiety attacks as a result of the post and the repercussions of it".

Other details included say her husband, Leicester striker Jamie Vardy, was targeted with verbal abuse at games that took place after the post with chants like "Becky Vardy's a grass".

Rebekah Vardy says she was at some of the games where the chants could be heard and found the situation "horrific and extremely distressing" because she was there with her children.

Rebekah Vardy's lawyers say she was made to feel like a "scapegoat" and they also claim Rooney posted "in a calculated and deliberate manner that was designed to cause very serious harm and enormous distress."

The original post by Rooney, who is married to former England International Wayne, has nearly 300,000 likes on Twitter and 200,000 on Instagram.

Evidence presented also includes screenshots of some of the comments Rebekah Vardy has received on social media after Coleen Rooney's post and states she "suffered and continues to suffer severe and extreme hostility and abuse as a result of the post".

Vardy's lawyers say the accusations made against her have caused "serious harm" to her reputation, "personality, integrity and honesty".

"She has been targeted by online trolls and attacked on social media platforms including but not limited to Twitter and Instagram; as well as via readers' comments on articles relating to the post," they say.

"The abuse was so extreme that the claimant was forced to use filters on her Instagram account to prevent certain words from being published under her posts."

"Disappointing"
    Newsbeat has approached Coleen Rooney's lawyers for comment on Rebekah Vardy's new claims.

"It is disappointing that Mrs Vardy has chosen to issue court proceedings," Coleen's lawyer, Paul Lunt of Brabners, said in June, before the case began.

"Coleen feels that the time and money involved could be put to better use; her offer to meet face to face still stands.

"Mrs Vardy's decision to issue court proceedings does at least mean that Coleen's evidence can be made public when the time is right."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-53526213

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Coleen Rooney "pointed the finger" at Rebekah Vardy as "the villain" who leaked stories to the press about her private life, the High Court has heard.

The wife of ex-England footballer Wayne Rooney was dubbed "Wagatha Christie" for her "sting operation" involving posting false stories on Instagram which later appeared in The Sun.

Mrs Rooney then said the source of those leaks was the account of Mrs Vardy.

She is suing Mrs Rooney for libel.

Mrs Vardy, 38, was accused by Mrs Rooney of leaking stories over the course of five months. She denies the accusation.

At the High Court, Mrs Vardy's barrister Hugh Tomlinson QC said Mrs Rooney's posts were an "untrue and unjustified defamatory attack... published and republished to millions of people".

He said the spat had been trivialised in the media as "wag wars" but "the impact on Mrs Vardy was not trivial".

Last year Mrs Rooney said she planted three false stories on her Instagram stories and blocked all users except for Mrs Vardy's account.

Court documents say the three fake stories that appeared in The Sun consisted of Mrs Rooney travelling to Mexico to "see what this gender selection is all about", returning to TV, and the basement flooding in her house.

On a Twitter post, she wrote: "I have saved and screenshotted all the original stories which clearly show just one person has viewed them.

"It's ................ Rebekah Vardy's account."

Mr Tomlinson said Mrs Rooney's social media post made it clear that the person accused of leaking the stories "is Rebekah Vardy, the finger is being pointed at her, as the villain, the person, the someone, the one person".

The Twitter backlash led some social media users to link Mrs Vardy with "the disappearance of Madeline McCann", and joke she was the new leader of the so-called Islamic State group, the barrister added.

Mr Tomlinson wrote that the accusations had made Mrs Vardy feel suicidal, she had taken three trips to the hospital due to anxiety, and had fears she would lose her baby due to the stress of the situation.

The written statement claims Mrs Vardy's footballer husband Jamie has also been the subject of ridicule, with opposition supporters shouting taunting chants such as "Becky Vardy's a grass".

Mrs Rooney's legal team claims Mrs Vardy "was in fact responsible for consistently passing on information about the defendant's private Instagram posts and stories to The Sun".

David Sherbourne, representing Mrs Rooney, stated in written submissions the message readers would take away from Mrs Rooney's tweet was "it was Rebekah Vardy's account that was the source of private stories about the defendant appearing in The Sun - not Rebekah Vardy herself".

He added: "The fact that these sting operation stories also then appeared in The Sun... is the reason why the defendant published the post which is the subject of this claim."

Mr Tomlinson said both Mrs Vardy and Mrs Rooney had agreed for a "stay" of proceedings until February, so there could be "one final attempt to resolve the matter without the need for a full trial".

Neither Mrs Rooney nor Mrs Vardy attended the preliminary hearing in London.

At the hearing, Mr Justice Warby was asked to determine the "natural and ordinary" meaning of Mrs Rooney's posts.

The judge said he would give his ruling on Friday afternoon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-engl...mpression=true

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    A High Court judge has ruled in favour of Rebekah Vardy in the first stage of her libel case against Coleen Rooney.

Mrs Rooney had accused Mrs Vardy of leaking stories about her to the media in October last year.

On Friday, Mr Justice Warby agreed that a post written by Mrs Rooney directed guilt at Mrs Vardy, rather than at her social media account.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Rebekah Vardy said she would “love” to leak stories about Coleen Rooney to the media, according to messages disclosed at the high court.

The court filings suggest Vardy and her former agent Caroline Watt had an ongoing relationship with reporters at the Sun newspaper and discussed at length how to leak stories to the tabloid.

Vardy is suing Rooney for libel in the so-called “Wagatha Christie” case, over an allegation that Vardy was responsible for leaking a series of stories from Rooney’s private Instagram account to the Sun. Both women are married to footballers – respectively Leicester City’s Jamie Vardy and the Derby County manager, Wayne Rooney.

The filings also show that Vardy described Rooney as a “nasty *****” and a “****” who “needs to get over herself” in private messages disclosed at a court hearing on Tuesday.

Rooney ran a sting operation in 2019 by putting three fake stories on her Instagram account and slowly reducing which accounts could view the posts. When only Vardy could see the Instagram posts, alleges Rooney, and the fake stories kept appearing in the Sun, she went public with the claim. Vardy strongly denies the accusation and has run up a multimillion-pound legal bill bringing a libel case.

After one story from Rooney’s private Instagram appeared in the Sun, Rooney posted to her followers: “Someone on here is selling stories again to this **** of a paper. It’s sad to think someone who I have accepted to follow me is betraying [me] for either money or to keep a relationship with the press.”

Discussing this post, Watt allegedly acknowledged a role in providing information to the Sun, according to messages disclosed to the court: “Such a victim. Poor Coleen … And it wasn’t someone she trusted. It was me.”

The duo also raised concerns that Rooney increasingly suspected Vardy of leaking to the media and had unfollowed her on Instagram. Watt suggested that if any issues were raised they would claim that “one of the girls in the office has my old laptop that had your passwords saved on it, so it will have been them”.

At one point, according to the messages, Vardy says she has no idea how Rooney would ever know who was responsible for providing information “unless halls [Sun journalist Andy Halls] has leaked it”.

Vardy also complained that the Sun was not buying her photographs, telling Watt “we still need to make money” and suggesting they contact senior executives at the newspaper.

Some of the private messages relating to the case are missing, for a variety of unfortunate reasons. Vardy’s former agent said her mobile phone was accidentally dropped in the North Sea shortly after Rooney’s lawyers requested access to the device.

“Coincidentally, around the same time, all media files from Mrs Vardy’s WhatsApp conversation with Ms Watt also bizarrely disappeared (and from all backups), whilst apparently in the process of exporting it to her solicitors,” said Rooney’s lawyers.

Jamie Vardy, the Leicester City striker, also said that his “WhatsApp was hacked and all conversations were deleted and could not be restored”, while declining to allow Rooney’s lawyers to examine his phone. The laptop used by Vardy during the crucial period also “no longer functions”, while messages between Rebekah Vardy and Halls appear to have been deleted.

Rebekah Vardy’s own expert described the data recovery situation as “surprising” and “unusual”.

The disclosures suggests Vardy and Watt had repeated conversations about about stories going to the Sun. At one point they discussed whether to provide the newspaper with a story about an England footballer who had a secret child as a result of an affair. A month later the Sun published a story with the headline “Married England ace has lovechild”.

Vardy has accepted that payments were made to her by the Sun in the run-up to Rooney’s accusation. Rooney’s lawyers are seeking disclosure of these payments.

When Rooney went public with the accusation that Vardy was leaking articles to the Sun, Vardy texted her agent: “That’s war.”

According to the messages disclosed at the court hearing, her agent replied: “You will have to say that you don’t speak to anyone about her but that recently your insta has even been following people you don’t follow … Just say you have allowed a company to access it for sponsored posts and a former social media agency that you worked with too.”

Rooney’s lawyers claim that “Vardy was a repeated leaker of private information to the Sun”. Vardy denies this and her lawyers say there is no evidence that she leaked the key stories at the centre of the case.

At the high court, they said the conversations between Vardy and Watt were evidence the duo were leaking messages from Instagram to the Sun: “It is clear from the disclosure that Ms Vardy knew what Ms Watt was doing. … She knew it was happening and the lack of any criticism that this was going on, let alone surprise, demonstrates that this was agreed.”

The libel case is due to go to trial later this year.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...edia-instagram

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Rebekah Vardy said she would “love” to leak stories about Coleen Rooney to the media, according to messages disclosed at the high court.

The court filings suggest Vardy and her former agent Caroline Watt had an ongoing relationship with reporters at the Sun newspaper and discussed at length how to leak stories to the tabloid.

Vardy is suing Rooney for libel in the so-called “Wagatha Christie” case, over an allegation that Vardy was responsible for leaking a series of stories from Rooney’s private Instagram account to the Sun. Both women are married to footballers – respectively Leicester City’s Jamie Vardy and the Derby County manager, Wayne Rooney.

The filings also show that Vardy described Rooney as a “nasty *****” and a “****” who “needs to get over herself” in private messages disclosed at a court hearing on Tuesday.

Rooney ran a sting operation in 2019 by putting three fake stories on her Instagram account and slowly reducing which accounts could view the posts. When only Vardy could see the Instagram posts, alleges Rooney, and the fake stories kept appearing in the Sun, she went public with the claim. Vardy strongly denies the accusation and has run up a multimillion-pound legal bill bringing a libel case.

After one story from Rooney’s private Instagram appeared in the Sun, Rooney posted to her followers: “Someone on here is selling stories again to this **** of a paper. It’s sad to think someone who I have accepted to follow me is betraying [me] for either money or to keep a relationship with the press.”

Discussing this post, Watt allegedly acknowledged a role in providing information to the Sun, according to messages disclosed to the court: “Such a victim. Poor Coleen … And it wasn’t someone she trusted. It was me.”

The duo also raised concerns that Rooney increasingly suspected Vardy of leaking to the media and had unfollowed her on Instagram. Watt suggested that if any issues were raised they would claim that “one of the girls in the office has my old laptop that had your passwords saved on it, so it will have been them”.

At one point, according to the messages, Vardy says she has no idea how Rooney would ever know who was responsible for providing information “unless halls [Sun journalist Andy Halls] has leaked it”.

Vardy also complained that the Sun was not buying her photographs, telling Watt “we still need to make money” and suggesting they contact senior executives at the newspaper.

Some of the private messages relating to the case are missing, for a variety of unfortunate reasons. Vardy’s former agent said her mobile phone was accidentally dropped in the North Sea shortly after Rooney’s lawyers requested access to the device.

“Coincidentally, around the same time, all media files from Mrs Vardy’s WhatsApp conversation with Ms Watt also bizarrely disappeared (and from all backups), whilst apparently in the process of exporting it to her solicitors,” said Rooney’s lawyers.

Jamie Vardy, the Leicester City striker, also said that his “WhatsApp was hacked and all conversations were deleted and could not be restored”, while declining to allow Rooney’s lawyers to examine his phone. The laptop used by Vardy during the crucial period also “no longer functions”, while messages between Rebekah Vardy and Halls appear to have been deleted.

Rebekah Vardy’s own expert described the data recovery situation as “surprising” and “unusual”.

The disclosures suggests Vardy and Watt had repeated conversations about about stories going to the Sun. At one point they discussed whether to provide the newspaper with a story about an England footballer who had a secret child as a result of an affair. A month later the Sun published a story with the headline “Married England ace has lovechild”.

Vardy has accepted that payments were made to her by the Sun in the run-up to Rooney’s accusation. Rooney’s lawyers are seeking disclosure of these payments.

When Rooney went public with the accusation that Vardy was leaking articles to the Sun, Vardy texted her agent: “That’s war.”

According to the messages disclosed at the court hearing, her agent replied: “You will have to say that you don’t speak to anyone about her but that recently your insta has even been following people you don’t follow … Just say you have allowed a company to access it for sponsored posts and a former social media agency that you worked with too.”

Rooney’s lawyers claim that “Vardy was a repeated leaker of private information to the Sun”. Vardy denies this and her lawyers say there is no evidence that she leaked the key stories at the centre of the case.

At the high court, they said the conversations between Vardy and Watt were evidence the duo were leaking messages from Instagram to the Sun: “It is clear from the disclosure that Ms Vardy knew what Ms Watt was doing. … She knew it was happening and the lack of any criticism that this was going on, let alone surprise, demonstrates that this was agreed.”

The libel case is due to go to trial later this year.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...edia-instagram
    i bet @KingKhan interested in this, im sure yuri gellar spon bend / alien invasion - excitement finished, lol

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Coleen Rooney has lost a bid to bring a High Court claim against Rebekah Vardy's agent as part of a legal battle between the footballers' wives over an online post.

Mrs Vardy, 39, sued Mrs Rooney, 35, for libel after she publicly accused her of leaking stories about her private life to The Sun.

The wife of former England star Wayne Rooney carried out a months-long "sting operation" in which she posted fake stories on her personal Instagram page in a bid to catch out the culprit - earning the nickname "Wagatha Christie".

She eventually pointed the finger at Vardy, the wife of Leicester City striker Jamie, who denies the allegations.

Mrs Rooney's lawyers previously claimed that Mrs Vardy had leaked information to the newspaper either directly or through her agent Caroline Watt.

Mrs Rooney had asked for permission to bring an additional claim against Ms Watt for misuse of private information and during a hearing last week she had asked for this to be heard with the libel case.

On Monday, Mrs Justice Steyn refused permission for the additional claim against Ms Watt and refused permission for it to be heard with the libel trial.

But Mrs Rooney was given permission to amend her defence case to include an allegation that Mrs Vardy, through Ms Watt, provided information to The Sun about an unnamed professional footballer.

She will also allow the disclosure of WhatsApp messages between Mrs Vardy and Ms Watt during the relevant period, and will allow Mrs Rooney's application for an order that both parties make a joint request for information to Instagram.

Other requests for disclosure from Mrs Rooney and Mrs Vardy were refused.

The libel trial is due to take place in May, but could be delayed.

SKY

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vardy v Rooney: Rebekah Vardy 'appears to accept' her PR could have been the source of leaked Coleen Rooney stories, court told

Rebekah Vardy "appears to accept" her PR representative could have been the source of leaked stories which sparked the upcoming "Wagatha Christie" libel trial, Coleen Rooney's barrister has claimed at the High Court.

Rooney accused Vardy of leaking "false stories" about her private life to The Sun newspaper in October 2019, famously posting her allegation on social media after carrying out a months-long "sting operation".

Vardy, who is married to Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy, denies the allegations and is suing Rooney, the wife of former England star Wayne Rooney, for libel - with a trial set to take place in May.

Rooney's lawyers have previously claimed that Vardy, 40, leaked information to The Sun either directly or through her friend and agent Caroline Watt "acting on her instruction or with her knowing approval".

During a preliminary hearing on Friday, David Sherborne, representing Rooney, 36, claimed Vardy now believes Ms Watt may have been the source of the stories. He made the claim after seeing a new witness statement provided on Wednesday.

Vardy's new statement "suggests Ms Watt was the source of the leak but claims that (Mrs Vardy) 'did not authorise or condone her'", Mr Sherborne said in written submissions to the court.

"It now appears... that she too 'believes' that Ms Watt is the source," the barrister continued, before going on to say that "the collapse of Mrs Vardy's case over the last day has been remarkable".

He said: "As of the evening of 27 April 2022, in an abrupt change of position to her pleaded case since the outset, Mrs Vardy appears now to accept Mrs Rooney's case: that Caroline Watt, Mrs Vardy's close friend and PR, was the conduit by which stories from the defendant's private Instagram account were leaked to The Sun through her access via Rebekah Vardy's account."

Mr Sherborne told the court: "It has become undeniably obvious that Ms Watt is the source and Mrs Vardy, true to form says 'it wasn't me, I didn't realise and I didn't know anything about what was going on'."

But Vardy's lawyer Hugh Tomlinson QC told the court his client's new witness statement did not contain "any change whatever in the pleaded case".

He later added: "Mr Sherborne may think that this is an evil conspiracy to deceive his client and the court.

"We simply don't know what the true position is in relation to Ms Watt. She's not communicating with anybody. She's not communicating with anybody on our side and we don't know what her position is."

Initially, Ms Watt had been expected to give evidence at the upcoming trial. However, at a hearing earlier in April, the High Court was told she was "not fit" to give oral evidence.

'Important' new developments

Mr Tomlinson said in written arguments that there had "been important developments that have occurred" since Vardy gave her first written statement - but did not explain what they were.

He continued: "These are all matters that are relevant to the proceedings and the issues that the court will need to determine.

"It is appropriate for the court and the defendant to have the claimant's evidence on these new developments in a further witness statement so that the claimant's position is made clear.

"These developments are very recent. They were completely unexpected and outside the claimant's control... it has taken her time to process and consider the new information."

During the hearing on Friday, Rooney's lawyers were expected to bid for information from News Group Newspapers, the publisher of The Sun. Mr Tomlinson said Vardy supported this request "in part", adding: "We have nothing to hide."

A judgment on this hearing is expected at a later date, with the full trial set to start in the week beginning 9 May.

'Wagatha Christie': The background

The row between the two women erupted in October 2019, when Rooney accused Vardy of leaking stories to the press after planting three fake stories about herself on her personal Instagram account, secretly making them visible only to Vardy's account.

Rooney's "sting operation" quickly led to her being dubbed "Wagatha Christie" on social media.

She alleged these false stories - about travelling to Mexico to find out about gender selection, making a return to TV, and the basement flooding at her new house - had been shared with The Sun newspaper.

Revealing her allegation on social media at the time, Rooney said: "For a few years now someone who I trusted to follow me on my personal Instagram account has been consistently informing The Sun newspaper of my private posts and stories.

"I have saved and screenshotted all the original stories which clearly show just one person has viewed them.

"It's ................ Rebekah Vardy's account."

Vardy strenuously denies the allegations.

https://news.sky.com/story/vardy-v-r...-told-12601552

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Vardy labelled 'evil rat face b****'

Rebekah Vardy's lawyer - Hugh Tomlinson QC - is now giving his opening statement. He says that the abuse his client has suffered since the accusation was made against her on 9 October 2019 has been "horrific".

He says Vardy was called "an evil rat face b****" on social media, and that posts went on to say she "should die" as well as saying "her baby should be put in an incinerator". Vardy was around seven months pregnant at the time of Rooney's post accusing her of betraying her trust.

Mr Tomlinson also says Vardy has suffered aggressive "chanting" at football matches she has attended since the accusation, has been the "butt of jokes", which he says continues to this day.

He says the original post - which was shared on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook - was liked on Instagram 193,284 times and on Twitter 300,000 times. He also says it has since been "republished many times" and the case has become so well known there is even "merchandise" inspired by the accusation.

He tells the court Rooney's accusation was "flawed from the start" as she "could not be certain it was just one person [leaking the personal stories]". He says it is well known that celebrities have other people managing their accounts. He says the day after the post was made, the newspaper headlines all pointed to Vardy herself being to blame, suggesting the post would naturally be read as pointing the finger squarely at Vardy.

He goes on to say Rooney "revelled" in being dubbed Wagatha Christie, and shared posts which dubbed her as such.

Vardy's lawyer elaborates on one of the three false story of Rooney's supposed return to TV - they seem to be referring to it as the "TV decisions post" in this case. He says that story had been around since February of 2019, and says Rooney's own written evidence even alludes to the fact the dates don't quite match up. He says Rooney "has no direct evidence" that Vardy was behind the story leaks, and he calls this the central flaw in her case.

He says Rooney's accusation is defamatory and causes serious harm, and for that reason Vardy deserves damages.

SKY

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Rebekah Vardy has told the High Court she did not leak stories about Coleen Rooney to the press - saying "I didn't give any information to a newspaper" as she gave evidence in the "Wagatha Christie" libel trial for the first time.

Vardy is suing Rooney after being publicly accused of leaking "false stories" to the media in 2019, and after several months of preliminary hearings the libel trial got under way on Tuesday.

Following opening arguments from both legal teams, Vardy entered the witness box in the afternoon and faced questions from Rooney's lawyer David Sherborne. She told the court she agreed it was "wrong" and "upsetting" for someone to secretly pass on another person's private information, and said: "I didn't leak anything to anyone."

Read more at:

https://news.sky.com/story/vardy-v-r...awyer-12609744

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    “Wagatha Christie”, dear me what a mess.

A quotation from Rebekah Vardy about Peter Andre’s manhood was shared in court today.

These people live in a different world.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Wasted 3m on lawyers fees. You know these idiotic women have never worked a day in their lives to waste such money

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Wasted 3m on lawyers fees. You know these idiotic women have never worked a day in their lives to waste such money
    *Their husband’s money

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    *Their husband’s money
    It is. And soon they will look back and think what the hell was that all about. The last suit this stipid was when the guy that plays Ken Barlow in Coronation St sued the The Sun for calling him Boring

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rebekah Vardy has told the High Court she was "just joking" following an allegation she told her agent to leak a story about a female celebrity having an affair with a footballer.

The 40-year-old is currently suing Coleen Rooney after being publicly accused of leaking "false stories" to the media in 2019.

Rooney has claimed she carried out a "sting operation" to catch who was sharing stories about her private life, and named Vardy as the suspected culprit in a viral social media post.

Rooney, who is married to Derby County manager Wayne Rooney, is defending the libel claim on the basis of truth and public interest.

Vardy, who is married to Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy, took to the witness box on the second day of the 'Wagatha Christie' libel trial, where she was questioned about messages between her and agent Caroline Watt.

The messages were about an alleged affair between a "well-known celebrity", referred to as Mrs F, and a footballer, identified as Mr G.

Rooney's barrister David Sherborne told the court Vardy had sent a text to her agent, saying: "Omg have you seen how badly Mrs F is behaving x ... I'm actually disgusted by her x."

She then sent another message that read: "Leak the story about her s******* G behind H's back".

The court heard Ms Watt replied: "I tried before but The Sun already knew about it and couldn't prove it as usual."

Asked about the messages, Vardy said she was "just joking" when she made the comment.

Key points from day two of the trial

• Vardy was asked about leaking a story on Danielle Lloyd's Maldives honeymoon and miscarriage - which she claims the model gave to the press herself
    • Vardy has denied the suggestion that she was "prepared to lie under oath"
    • She conceded that she had directed her agent to look at Rooney's private Instagram in relation to a post about a car crash but denied that Ms Watt was monitoring the account
    • WhatsApp messages show Ms Watt called Rooney an "attention seeker" after viewing her posts

The Danny Drinkwater crash

The court also heard that Vardy told her agent she "wanted paying" for information about former Leicester City player Danny Drinkwater leaving police custody after crashing his car in 2019.

The footballer was banned from driving for 20 months and ordered to complete 70 hours of community service after pleading guilty to drink driving.

The court was told Vardy sent a message to her agent Caroline Watt to tell her that Drinkwater had been arrested.

"Danny Drinkwater arrested... Crashed his car drunk with 2 girls in it… both in hospital one with broken ribs," court documents show.

Ms Watt told Vardy that "they" would have to confirm with the police "before they write it" - Mr Sherborne said this meant The Sun, which Vardy confirmed.

Mr Sherborne said to Vardy that, despite knowing Drinkwater, she was prepared to leak a story on him - to which she replied: "Yes on that occasion because of the behaviour, I was."

'I was just gossiping'

Questions were also raised over Manchester City footballer Riyad Mahrez, with Vardy being asked about messages she sent to Ms Watt about him not turning up to a training session in 2018.

Vardy told Ms Watt: "Lads are fuming."

Speaking in court, she explained: "It was speculation of just bits of information that I had heard and overheard, and also read in the press before.

"Yes, it doesn't look good there, I was gossiping about things that were already in the public domain. I was just gossiping."

She denied an accusation her agent passed information to The Sun about fellow Leicester players' reactions to Mr Mahrez missing the session.

The 'pregnant girl leak'

Mr Sherborne went on to ask Vardy about a message exchange with Ms Watt about the model, Danielle Lloyd.

Vardy said she was referring to Ms Lloyd, her Maldives honeymoon and her miscarriage during the conversation.

Mr Sherborne said Vardy had told her agent to "leak the Maldives stuff" in relation to, what he called, the "pregnant girl leak".

Vardy claimed that her message related to a screenshotted article in a magazine about Ms Lloyd "talking about her Maldives honeymoon and her unfortunate miscarriage".

She said Ms Lloyd was "not someone in my circle", and she disagreed with her about baby "gender selection".

In 2019, an article appeared in The Sun about Rooney apparently travelling for gender selection - one of the false stories planted by Rooney that is at the heart of this case.

Another article that has already been mentioned in the trial is one relating to Rooney's car crash in early 2019.

Vardy denies Ms Watt was 'monitoring' Rooney's private Instagram account

The court heard that Rooney had posted something on her private Instagram account about the accident and Vardy conceded that she had directed Ms Watt to look at the post.

In a message exchange, Ms Watt asked her: "Am I imagining this or did you say yesterday that Coleen had crashed her Honda?" the court heard.

"She defo has ... Go in the Instagram," Mrs Vardy replied, according to court documents.

Mr Sherborne explained that Ms Watt was using Vardy's Instagram account to access Rooney's private Instagram account, as it was only visible to those approved by Rooney.

However, Vardy denied that she had any knowledge of Ms Watt "monitoring" the account.

Sitting behind Rooney at the 2016 Euros

Mr Sherborne went on to talk about an article published in the Daily Mirror in 2016 about the Euros.

He told the court Vardy had been accused of trying to gain publicity during the tournament, which took place in France, by sitting behind Rooney at a match.

Vardy branded the suggestion as "ridiculous" and claimed she was not told she would get "good photo coverage" if she sat behind Rooney.

The court has previously heard that both women have spent "hundreds of thousands of pounds" on the case so far, with the total costs of the case expected to be at least £2m.

The fake stories Rooney planted on her Instagram during the sting operation featured her travelling to Mexico for a "gender selection" procedure, her planning to return to TV, and the basement flooding at her home.

https://news.sky.com/story/vardy-v-r...story-12610551

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    543 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May God doesn't give us wives like this.

The word "bimbo" comes to my mind.

Bangladeshi Guy

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    May God doesn't give us wives like this.

The word "bimbo" comes to my mind.
    The lawyers love idiots like these.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The lawyers love idiots like these.
    Making a killing on this case.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Making a killing on this case.
    An ex student of mine was on the Abramhovic case against some other oligarch a few years ago. The lawyers fees were eye watering and you get them whether you lose or win

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Rebekah Vardy has appeared to accept that her agent leaked information from Coleen Rooney's private Instagram account to a newspaper, but denied that it was "new" information.

Mrs Vardy was giving evidence on day three of her High Court libel trial.

Mrs Rooney is being sued after claiming Mrs Vardy leaked private information she obtained on Instagram to the Sun.

Mrs Vardy also denied orchestrating a photograph of footballers' wives and girlfriends at the 2018 World Cup.

Proceedings were halted twice on Thursday afternoon after cross-examination from Mrs Rooney's lawyer David Sherborne brought Mrs Vardy to tears. She was allowed to leave the witness box on both occasions.

The court heard Mrs Rooney's car was damaged in early 2019. At the time, Mrs Rooney posted a picture of the damaged Honda on her private Instagram account.

Three days later, a story about Mrs Rooney's car was published in the Sun, written by journalist Andy Halls.

Mrs Rooney's barrister, David Sherborne, read out texts between Mrs Vardy and Caroline Watt, where the agent told the TV personality: "Halls is trying to do a story on Coleen crashing her car but her PR [publicist] won't even reply. I've told him I'm 100% confident that it happened but don't know how."

Questioning Mrs Vardy, Mr Sherborne said: "You didn't object at any stage to the fact that Ms Watt is plainly passing on information from Mrs Rooney's private Instagram account to Andy Halls."

Mrs Vardy said The Sun already had the information, adding: "I didn't think she was passing on any new information."

Mr Sherborne asked: "Take the word 'new' out of it. Did you or did you not know that Ms Watt was passing on information from Mrs Rooney's private account?"

Mrs Vardy replied: "She was talking to Mr Halls about information that was already being discussed."

After the story appeared in the Sun, Mrs Rooney posted a public tweet saying it was "sad" someone who followed her on social media was "betraying" her.

While discussing this tweet in a private WhatsApp conversation, Ms Watt told Mrs Vardy: "It wasn't someone she trusted. It was me", accompanied by a crying-with-laughter emoji.

The barrister put it to Mrs Vardy that was her agent admitting leaking the information to the journalist.

Mrs Vardy replied: "That seems to be what she is saying, but I'm just looking at the times, at 18:47 I'm bathing the children, there is no response from me."

Earlier on Thursday, Mrs Vardy, the wife of Leicester City player Jamie, denied orchestrating a photograph of footballers' wives and girlfriends at the 2018 World Cup.

Mr Sherborne repeatedly suggested she was lying about the extent of her relationship with the press.

He pointed to text messages which suggested Mrs Vardy and Miss Watt colluded with the press to set up photographs.

Mr Sherborne accused Mrs Vardy of secretly working with a paparazzi photographer to take a picture of her and her fellow "Wags" (a term to describe the wives and girlfriends of England footballers) at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

In a text exchange, Ms Watt wrote that she had "got a photographer sorted for tomorrow", to which Mrs Vardy replied "OK".

In court, Mrs Vardy accepted she had helped arrange to be photographed as she left her hotel to go to dinner, saying she was "happy" to have her picture taken.

But she denied orchestrating further photographs to be taken later that evening at a restaurant, when she was spending time with a group of the England team's wives and girlfriends.

Mrs Vardy claimed that further messages she sent to Ms Watt when plans changed during the evening were not because she was working with the agent to arrange a "pap shot" of the group as they left the restaurant.

Mr Sherbourne argued that some messages - including one Mrs Vardy sent to Ms Watt saying she had "bought about 10 minutes" - showed that Mrs Vardy had stalled the women at the restaurant in an effort to delay them from posting their own pictures on Instagram.

This, Mr Sherborne suggested, would give the photographer time to file his photos to picture agencies and claim them as his exclusive.

Referring to the text about delaying the group for 10 minutes, Mr Sherborne said to Mrs Vardy: "You were terrified you are going to lose your exclusive so you do everything you can to stall them."

"That's not true", said Vardy. She said the messages showed that she was "trying to get her [Ms Watt] off my back so I could put my phone away and enjoy my evening. It had been a crazy couple of days."

The barrister suggested to Mrs Vardy that the other women had been "upset" by the allegedly staged photographs, which Mrs Vardy also denied, saying "no one was upset".

Mr Sherborne added that when the other women present that evening found out about the paparazzi, they arranged to put their own photos on social media in an effort to make sure the photographer could not claim his images were exclusive.

After Mrs Vardy said she "had been drinking" so didn't fully "recall" the exact details of what had happened that day, Mr Sherborne again accused the claimant of "lying" to the court.

He suggested Mrs Vardy had been continually changing her story, which she denied, and later of having "selective amnesia".

Mrs Vardy's witness statements were repeatedly revised ahead of the libel trial, Mr Sherborne noted.

The so-called "Wagatha Christie" trial centres on a viral social media post from October 2019, in which Mrs Rooney said she had carried out a sting operation to find out who had been passing private information about her life to the press.

Mrs Rooney, the wife of former England footballer Wayne, claimed that she had clamped down on her privacy settings so that the only account that could have seen three fake stories she had posted - which later appeared in the Sun - belonged to Mrs Vardy.

BBC

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Rebekah Vardy's agent appeared to admit leaking information about Coleen Rooney's "car crash" to journalists, a court has heard.

During Vardy's third day in the witness box at the closely watched "Wagatha Christie" libel trial, jurors heard how an article was published in The Sun newspaper about Rooney crashing her Honda.

Text messages between Vardy and her agent Caroline Watt showed Ms Watt appearing to admit leaking the information.

In a viral social media post in 2019, Rooney accused Vardy of leaking "false stories" about her to the media.

Vardy, the wife of Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy, is now making a libel claim against her fellow WAG, who is the wife of former England player Wayne Rooney.

The High Court hearing had to be paused twice on Thursday after Vardy became upset.

Rooney had posted a photo of the damaged Honda on her private Instagram account three days before.

Mr Sherborne read out texts between Vardy and Ms Watt, where the agent told the TV personality: "I would have tried to have done a story on Coleen but the evidence has been deleted."

She had continued: "Halls is trying to do a story on Coleen crashing her car but her PR won't even reply. I've told him I'm 100% confident that it happened but don't know how."

"Halls" appeared to refer to Sun journalist Andy Halls, the court heard.

Rooney later said she had in fact not crashed the car but another car had gone into hers, the court heard.

Other key points from Thursday:

Vardy accused of suggesting messaging Rooney about the anniversary of her sister's death as "a peg" to contact her
    The prosecution accused Vardy of having "selective amnesia" over deleted messages
    They also say Vardy's agent "stopped co-operating a while ago" in terms of access to her devices

'It wasn't someone she trusted. It was me'

Taking questions from Rooney's lawyer, Vardy said she did not believe her agent was "passing on any new information".

https://news.sky.com/story/wagatha-c...hears-12611548

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Coleen Rooney has admitted she "didn't know how her marriage was going to work out" after her husband Wayne was arrested for drink-driving during her first testimony at her high-profile libel trial.

The WAG is facing off against Rebekah Vardy at the High Court after she accused her of leaking "false stories" about her private life to journalists.

Rooney was questioned about two posts she shared on her Instagram accounts of her family - one on her private Instagram account including Wayne, and another without him on her public account.

She posted the pictures after the former England footballer was arrested for drink-driving in September 2017.

He was found to be almost three times over the limit and with a female passenger he picked up in a bar also in the car.

"I was in a vulnerable situation, I didn't know how my marriage was going to work out," she told the court.

The WAG and her children were staying at her parents' house when she posted the pictures in October 2017.

Rebekah Vardy arrives at the Royal Courts Of Justice, London, as the high-profile libel battle between Rebekah Vardy and Coleen Rooney is finally set to go to trial. Picture date: Tuesday May 10, 2022.

Rooney said: "Me and Wayne was trying to figure out our relationship, and see how things were going."

An article appeared in The Sun a month later saying Wayne Rooney had "been allowed back into the marital bed" after his wife forgave him.

Coleen Rooney said this was one example of private information leaked to The Sun.

She told the court: "That was information that I was happy to share in the private group... but I didn't want the public to know that."

Rooney complained about the leak at the time, putting a screenshot of the private post and saying: "The GRASS strikes again!!!"

She said she put the picture on her private account wondering if it would appear "that HORRIBLE newspaper".

She added: "If you really needed the money that bad you could have always just asked instead of being SLY!!!"

She called this her "first warning shot" and said Vardy contacted her at the time to sympathise with her over the leak.

More key points from the day:

Rooney said she was "surprised" by how much interest there was in her viral social media post accusing Rebekah Vardy's account of leaking stories about her and she had used it as a "last resort"
    She also said she had tried three times "in vain" to avoid the matter going to court
    Rebekah Vardy said she felt "bullied and manipulated" while giving evidence and had come to court to "clear my name"
    The incident with Abbey Clancy

She was also questioned about an Instagram post by Abbey Clancy, in which the model had mistakenly shared private information from Rooney.

Vardy's lawyer Hugh Tomlinson QC said this showed things had been leaked before, though Rooney said this was a good example as Clancy had contacted her immediately and apologised.

She said Clancy hadn't realised it was information on Rooney's private account and had offered to take it down.

Chipolata comments were 'shameful'

The High Court had earlier heard the final part of Vardy's testimony, in which she discussed comments she made saying Peter Andre was "hung like a small chipolata".

Vardy, who was 22 when she made the remarks in an interview, said she was very young at the time and described it as "shameful" and "one of my biggest regrets".

When asked if she had spoken to Andre about it since, she said: "I haven't spoken to him but I sent both his wife and him personal messages a couple of years ago."

Vardy's lawyer also brought up a series of media stories suggesting there was tension between her footballer husband, Jamie Vardy, and Wayne Rooney due to Rebekah constantly seeking media attention.

The stories claimed Wayne Rooney had suggested to Jamie Vardy that he ask his wife to keep a lower profile.

Asked whether the conversation had taken place, Rebekah Vardy said her husband told her there was no discussion between the two men and he had called it a "load of b*******".

She said she believed it was a made-up story put out by the media to "try to cause trouble and make unnecessary drama".

Rebekah Vardy is suing Coleen Rooney for libel. The trial before Mrs Justice Steyn continues, with a decision expected in writing at a later date.

SKY

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Coleen Rooney has admitted trolling directed at Rebekah Vardy after her 'Wagatha Christie' post was "disgusting".

In a viral social media post in October 2019, Mrs Rooney said she had carried out a "sting operation" and accused Mrs Vardy of leaking "false stories" about her private life to the press - prompting her to be dubbed "Wagatha Christie".

Mrs Vardy, who is married to Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy, denies leaking stories to the media and is suing her fellow footballer's wife for libel.

Mrs Rooney is defending the claim on the basis her post was "substantially true".

Shortly after the bombshell reveal was posted, Mrs Rooney says she was contacted by Mrs Vardy who demanded "*** (what the f*ck) - what is this?"

To which Mrs Rooney replied: "You know what it is."

"I've got no idea," came Mrs Vardy's response.

Rebekah Vardy arrives at the Royal Courts Of Justice, London, as the high-profile libel battle between Rebekah Vardy and Coleen Rooney enters its third day. Picture date: Thursday May 12, 2022.

Mrs Rooney told Mrs Vardy's barrister Hugh Tomlinson QC at the latest day of hearings at the High Court on Monday that she had "zero interest in what is going on in her life".

The barrister said: "She makes it clear to you that it wasn't her, doesn't she?"

"She says she has zero interest in what's going on in my life, which I believe is totally untrue," Mrs Rooney replied. "She talks about me a lot... so that was a lie," she added.

'Trolling is terrible'

But, when asked about the abuse Mrs Vardy received on social media after the reveal post, Mrs Rooney had some sympathy.

She told the court: "It is disgusting. I would never ever wish that upon anyone.

"I was getting trolled as well but obviously Mrs Vardy's was disgusting, the things they were saying... the world we live in today and the trolling is terrible."

'Evil and uncalled for'

Mrs Rooney then discussed WhatsApp messages the court had heard between Mrs Vardy and her agent Caroline Watt - where Mrs Rooney was discussed.

She said she had never met or spoken to Ms Watt, commenting on the agent's exchanges with Mrs Vardy: "The messages that went on between them were just evil and uncalled for."

"There's no need for it, I've never done anything to them," Mrs Rooney added.

More from today in court:

• Coleen Rooney admitted she was inundated with pictures, screenshots and memes after her 'Wagatha' post and said "obviously people didn't realise how serious what was behind it was"
    • In private correspondence with a member of her PR team, the court heard Mrs Rooney had described Mrs Vardy as "fame hungry"
    • Wayne Rooney, Coleen's husband, did not know about the "sting", the court hears. Asked why, Mrs Rooney said: "One thing I don't do is put my troubles and my worries on anybody else"

The baby sex story

Earlier on Monday, Mrs Rooney said she wanted a "totally untrue" story about a so-called gender selection procedure to be published as "evidence" for her sting operation to discover the source of leaked stories.

One of the Instagram stories used in the "sting" was posted on 8 April 2019, with Mrs Rooney claiming she was travelling to Mexico to look into a procedure to determine a baby's sex.

"Let's go and see what this gender selection is all about," Mrs Rooney posted, accompanied with a number of heart emojis and what appeared to be a grimacing face emoji.

Around four months later, The Sun published a story online on 15 August 2019 with the headline "Col's baby girl bid", marked as an exclusive, detailing Mrs Rooney's alleged "desperate bid to have a baby girl".

Asked about this post by Mr Tomlinson, Mrs Rooney said: "I wanted the story to run so I had evidence."

Sky

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sky News:

Wayne Rooney says England manager wanted Rebekah Vardy to 'calm down' during Euros

Wayne Rooney has described how the then England manager asked him to speak with Jamie Vardy to ask his wife Rebekah to "calm down" during the Euro 2016 tournament.

Mr Vardy's representatives later told the press outside of the hearing that Mr Rooney was "talking nonsense" regarding the claim.

Giving evidence in the High Court on Tuesday, Mr Rooney also revealed that his wife Coleen Rooney has become "a different mother" and "a different wife" since her "reveal" post and Rebekah Vardy's subsequent libel claim against her.

In a viral social media post in October 2019, Mrs Rooney said she had carried out a "sting operation" and accused Mrs Vardy of leaking "false stories" about her private life to the press - prompting her to be dubbed "Wagatha Christie".

Mrs Vardy, 40, who is married to 35-year-old Leicester City striker Jamie, denies leaking stories to the media and is suing her fellow footballer's wife for libel.

Mrs Rooney, 36, is defending the claim on the basis her post was "substantially true".

Case documents were released on Tuesday showing the fake stories created by Ms Rooney on Instagram - and viewed by Ms Vardy's account.

Former England captain Mr Rooney has attended court with his wife for each of the six days of the trial so far, sitting in the front row of court 13 in the Royal Courts of Justice.

But on Tuesday the 36-year-old moved into the witness box to give his evidence to the packed courtroom.

Mr Rooney described how he was asked by then England manager, Roy Hodgson, and his assistant manager, Gary Neville, to speak to Mr Vardy to ask his wife to "calm down" during the Euro 2016 tournament.

"They asked me, as captain, would I be able to speak to Mr Vardy on issues regarding his wife and I think we all knew that it was an awkward subject," he said.

"I'd need to speak to Mr Vardy and ask him to speak to his wife and ask him to say to ask his wife to calm down."

Hugh Tomlinson QC, representing Mrs Vardy, said: "Ask his wife to calm down? She wasn't dancing on tables."

Mr Rooney replied: "No, she wasn't, as far as I was aware."

He told the court that he "100%" had the conversation with Mr Vardy but did not know if he then spoke to his wife.

Following questioning from Mr Tomlinson, Mr Rooney revealed he did not recall speaking with Mr Vardy to a Sun journalist about their conversation.

"As England captain, I would always try and protect the players in public as much as I could," he said.

He later added: "Everyone knows the history between Liverpudlians and The Sun newspaper, I have never spoken to a Sun journalist on a personal level."

Mr Vardy made his first appearance at the trial on Tuesday, sitting beside his wife and in front of their lawyers during the hearing.

His representatives claimed that Mr Rooney was "talking nonsense" in his evidence to the High Court.

The statement, given outside the hearing, said: " He [Wayne] must be confused because he never spoke to me about issues concerning Becky's media work at Euro 2016.

"There was nothing to speak about, I know this because I discuss everything with Becky."

Mr Rooney also told the court that the period after his wife's "reveal" post had been "very traumatic" for her and that he had watched her "really struggle".

"For me and my wife, we don't want to be in this court," Mr Rooney said.

"I've watched my wife over the last two and a half years really struggle with everything, becoming a different mother, a different wife.

"It's been very traumatic for my wife."

He continued: "Hopefully, whatever the judgment is in this case, myself, my wife and our children can get on and live our lives because it was not something that we wanted to be part of."

He explained that he was only made aware of his wife's so-called "sting operation" when he woke up and saw the "reveal" post in October 2019 while in the US.

Mrs Rooney is defending the libel claim brought by Mrs Vardy on the basis of truth and public interest.

It comes after Mrs Rooney publicly claimed that an account behind three fake stories published in The Sun that she had posted on her personal Instagram account was Mrs Vardy's.

The fake stories Mrs Rooney posted on Instagram featured her travelling to Mexico for a "gender selection" procedure, a plan to return to television, and the basement flooding at her home.

In the post on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook, she wrote: "I have saved and screenshotted all the original stories which clearly show just one person has viewed them.

"It's... Rebekah Vardy's account."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...24f17c03f109c4

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Rebekah Vardy is a "highly unreliable witness", Coleen Rooney's lawyer has told the High Court on the final day of the libel trial.

David Sherborne, representing Mrs Rooney, told the court Mrs Vardy lied under oath and deleted evidence.

Mrs Vardy walked out of the court during Mr Sherborne's comments.

She is suing Mrs Rooney for libel for alleging in an online post that she had leaked private stories about her to the Sun, which Mrs Vardy denies.

He said Mrs Vardy had given "implausible, throwaway explanations" and was "lacking in candour."

"We say Mrs Vardy was a highly unreliable witness and her evidence should be treated with caution," he continued.

Mr Sherborne added that the case was "extraordinary" because of the "tenacity" of Mrs Vardy in "backtracking on her admissions of leaks" and the "documentary evidence that flatly contradicts" her account.

He also spoke about "the extent to which it plainly demonstrates her consistent practice of secretly leaking information to the press".

The lawyer told Mrs Justice Steyn that the loss of "crucial" documents by Mrs Vardy was deliberate, adding: "The only plausible explanation is manual deletion by the claimant herself."

Her barrister began by explaining to the judge that they had a "long-standing travel arrangement" with their children booked for Thursday. The trial has over-run by a day and was supposed to have concluded a day earlier.

He passed on their"individual apologies", adding "that they intend no disrespect to the court". The judge, Mrs Justice Steyn, said: "I don't take offence".

'Like Hamlet without Prince of Denmark'
    Mr Sherborne then reiterated that his client was defending herself on the basis of truth and public interest.

The court heard last week how WhatsApp messages between Mrs Vardy's agent Caroline Watt and a Sun newspaper journalist had gone missing when her phone fell into the North Sea, but that Ms Watt had not testified due to being deemed not well enough.

Mr Sherborne argued that given the "hand-in-glove" relationship between Ms Watt and Mrs Vardy, having the case take place minus her agent was "like Hamlet without the Prince of Denmark".

Hamlet, the Prince of Denmark, is the main character in Shakespeare's famous tragedy.

Noting how other key individuals, including Sun journalists, had not given evidence, Mr Sherborne added: "Hamlet not just without the prince, but all the rest of the royal court."

He said the court "can and should conclude" that the loss of WhatsApp messages, including some lost by Mrs Vardy when uploading them for her solicitor, was "the result of deliberate deletion".

"The loss of documents is substantial in this case," he said.

The "only one conclusion", Mr Sherborne said, was that it "was done to cover up incriminating evidence".

He said Mrs Rooney had not wanted this to come to court, but that she had believed what she posted online to be true at the time and "she believes even more so now that we have got to the end of the case".

Closing arguments

Mr Sherborne, in a written submission to the court ahead of his closing statement, suggested Mrs Vardy cultivated a "false" image as the First Lady of Football.

He also criticised Mrs Vardy's husband Jamie Vardy, a former England teammate of Mr Rooney, for having delivered a statement outside the hearing on Tuesday while proceedings were on going, instead of speaking under oath in the courtroom.

Mrs Vardy had arrived alone at the court and before proceedings began, she spoke angrily to a journalist from The Sun about a story which appeared in it on Friday which said the Vardys were moving to the US after the trial. She was very unhappy and told him it was "cruel and that her eldest was in bits".

Hugh Tomlinson, representing Mrs Vardy, will set out his client's closing argument on Thursday afternoon. She returned to the courtroom after roughly an hour, having left it carrying her laptop, with one of her legal team.

Mrs Vardy's libel action was sparked by a viral social media post from October 2019, in which Mrs Rooney said she had carried out a sting operation to find out who had been passing information about her life, taken from her private Instagram account, to the Sun newspaper.

She said the fake stories she had posted on her Instagram stories in an effort to find the perpetrator had only been viewed by "Rebekah Vardy's account".

Mrs Vardy has continually denied leaking the stories in question to the press.

The fake stories featured Mrs Rooney travelling to Mexico for a "gender selection" procedure, planning to return to TV and the basement flooding at her home.

Mrs Rooney was called "Wagatha Christie" by many people online as a result of her private investigation. Wag is a term used to describe the wives and girlfriends of footballers, while Agatha Christie was a famous English detective novelist.

The judge will reserve her ruling on the case to a later date.

BBC

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    WhatsApp messages Rebekah Vardy sent to her footballer husband Jamie during the 2016 Euros have been revealed for the first time, as part of a 300-page bundle of evidence released by the High Court.

Screenshots of the various stars' private messages and Instagram accounts were submitted as part of Vardy's high-profile libel claim against fellow WAG Coleen Rooney.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    It was the social media whodunnit that captivated the nation and spawned a nine-day trial at the High Court earlier this summer.

Now, the Vardy v Rooney libel case will finally reach its conclusion, when the judgment is handed down by Mrs Justice Steyn around midday.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Rebekah Vardy has lost her Wagatha Christie libel trial against Coleen Rooney.

In her judgment, Judge Justice Steyn said Rooney had succeeded in establishing that the essence of her social media post was "substantially true" - that's to say Vardy was responsible for leaking her private information to the press.

In her conclusion, she said: "I have found that Ms Vardy was party to the disclosure to The Sun... Ms Vardy knew of and condoned this behaviour, actively engaging in it by directing Ms Watt to the Private Instagram Account, sending her screenshots of Ms Rooney's posts, drawing attention to items of potential interest to the press, and answering additional queries raised by the press via Ms Watt."

Caroline Watt was Vardy's agent and friend, and had been implicated in the leaking of the private posts during evidence heard in court. She did not give evidence during the hearing.

The court praised Rooney's evidence as "honest and reliable", but labelled Vardy's evidence: "manifestly inconsistent... evasive or implausible".

The judge said: "It was evident that Ms Vardy found the process of giving evidence stressful and, at times, distressing. I bear in mind when assessing her evidence the degree of stress she was naturally feeling, given the high-profile nature of the trial, the abuse that she has suffered since the reveal post was published, and the length of time she was in the witness box."

She added: "Nevertheless, I find that it is, unfortunately, necessary to treat Ms Vardy's evidence with very considerable caution.

"There were many occasions when her evidence was manifestly inconsistent with the contemporaneous documentary evidence, e.g. in relation to the World Cup 2018 and the photoshopped pictures, and others where she was evasive."

Mrs Justice Steyn continued: "Ms Vardy was generally unwilling to make factual concessions, however implausible her evidence.

"This inevitably affects my overall view of her credibility, although I have borne in mind that untruthful evidence may be given to mask guilt or to fortify innocence."

Rooney's friend, former WAG, Lizzie Cundy told Sky News she "wasn't surprised" by the outcome and knew Rooney - who she described as "an honest girl" - would only have made the original reveal post if she was "100% sure it was correct".

She said when the spat first began she'd even suggested to Rooney and Vardy that they, "Come over and have some prosecco and nuts and sort this out", adding, "Now Rebekah will be thinking, 'I should have listened'".

Cundy went on: "Sadly for Becky, the evidence wasn't there, it was at the bottom of the North Sea."

She went on: "It's sad it's come this far… But it was Rebekah who wanted it to come to court".

Vardy had sued Rooney after being publicly accused of leaking "false stories" to the media in 2019, with the high-profile trial taking place at the High Court in London in May.

The wife of former England star Wayne Rooney was dubbed "Wagatha Christie" after claiming that three fake stories posted on her personal Instagram page - which unbeknown to Vardy at the time were shared only with her account - were passed on to The Sun newspaper.

Wayne and Coleen Rooney leave the Royal Courts Of Justice, London, as the high-profile libel battle between Rebekah Vardy and Coleen Rooney finally goes to trial. Picture date: Tuesday May 10, 2022.

Vardy, who is married to Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy, denied leaking the stories and recalled to the court how she thought she might pass out when she first heard about Rooney's allegations - which came when she was heavily pregnant.

Later in the trial, she became upset several times while answering questions in the witness box about the online trolling she and her family received as a result of the claims.

In her judgment, the judge referred to some of the " vile abuse" Vardy had received online - which had included a message which someone said her baby should be incinerated - she said there was no "justification or excuse... for such vitriol."

During the case, the court also heard details of text messages she exchanged with her agent Ms Watt, which appeared to show them discussing leaking stories about other celebrities and footballers to the press.

Wayne Rooney was among the witnesses who gave evidence and supported his wife in the courtroom every day. He told the court that he was asked during Euro 2016 to have a word with Jamie Vardy to ask his wife to "calm down" as publicity grew around the tournament.

Text messages sent between the Vardys during the tournament were also released, along with the fake Instagram posts that sparked the entire trial.

In written submissions to the court, Vardy's barrister Hugh Tomlinson QC argued that while the case had been trivialised as "WAG Wars" it had had a "very profound" impact on his client's life, leading to "high intensity abuse and vilification".

The 40-year-old suffered "immense distress" as a result of Rooney's allegations and "had no choice" but to take her to court "to establish her innocence and vindicate her reputation", Mr Tomlinson said.

However, in the written argument for Rooney, 36, barrister David Sherborne said his client felt "absolutely confident" in the investigation she conducted to find the source of the leaks and that her "authentication was as thorough as many newsrooms".

Giving evidence, Rooney told the judge she had tried three times "in vain" to avoid the matter going to court.

The fake stories included Rooney travelling to Mexico for a baby "gender selection" procedure, planning a return to TV, and the basement flooding at her home.

"I have saved and screenshotted all the original stories which clearly show just one person has viewed them," Rooney wrote in the internet post that quickly went viral.

"It's .......... Rebekah Vardy's account."

What were the key legal issues in the case?

A libel is a published statement which is defamatory - damaging to a person's reputation.

Vardy said she had suffered "very serious harm to her reputation" as a result of Rooney's allegations and therefore brought the case to court to defend herself.

Rooney defended the claim on the basis it was true and in the public interest for her to publish it. Under English defamation law it was Rooney who had to prove her post was "substantially true".

As this was a civil case, not a criminal one, the standard of proof was "on the balance of probabilities", or "more likely than not", rather than "beyond reasonable doubt".

There is an upper limit of damages in libel actions in the UK of about £300,000, with the amount awarded depending on a number of factors - including the level of reputational damage and the prevalence of the published libel. However, any damages are usually swallowed up by legal costs.

At a hearing in March 2022, it was revealed that Vardy had a costs budget of nearly £900,000, while Rooney's costs were estimated to be about £400,000.

However, it is believed the case exceeded those budgets.

SKY

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a colossal waste of energy, court time, and money.

Weird people. They live on a different planet.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Rebekah Vardy said she feels "let down by the legal system" in her first interview since losing the Wagatha Christie libel case against Coleen Rooney.

Vardy, who is married to Leicester City footballer Jamie Vardy, appeared to become emotional in a teaser clip released ahead of an interview with TalkTV.

Last week, the 40-year-old lost her high-profile court case against Rooney, 36, over a viral social media post.

The High Court judge found Rooney's Instagram post outing Vardy for leaking stories to The Sun was "substantially true".

Vardy has given her first interview since the judgment and can be seen growing tearful as she sits down with host Kate McCann.

The former I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! contestant looks toward the news anchor and says: "Oh come on, you can't ask me that."

Later in the teaser, Vardy adamantly says: "I will say that 'til I'm blue in the face. I did not do it."

The bitter court battle stemmed from an October 2019 social media post, where Rooney said she had carried out a months-long "sting operation", accusing Vardy of leaking "false stories" about her private life to the press.

The wife of former England star Wayne Rooney publicly alleged Vardy's Instagram account was the source behind three stories in The Sun, featuring fake details she had posted on her private account.

The post went viral, receiving over 370,000 engagements on Twitter, including almost 50,000 retweets.

Vardy denied leaking the stories and sued Rooney for libel, an accusation Rooney defended.

Both women attended a week-long trial at the High Court in London in May, which drew a huge amount of press and public attention.

Judge Justice Steyn ruled in favour of Rooney on 29 July and while Vardy disagreed with the verdict, she indicated after the decision she would not be appealing.

It is believed the total legal costs for the civil dispute will be in the region of £3m.

SKY

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Embarrassing for Vardy.