Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Home series whitewash to Sri Lanka, followed by humiliation to India? Is South Africa cricket dying?

Discuss. (Test cricket)

Losing every test match to an average Sri Lanka side at home... and now literally getting spanked black and blue by india away. Tbf India is a great team esp at home so would have won but itís the manner of defeats
    Last edited by Slog; 14th October 2019 at 11:56.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are still able to beat Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny_majoka View Post
    They are still able to beat Pakistan.
    Pakistan is a terrible team in general and especially in Tests.

Any thoughts?

With Steyn, Amla and AB gone now are they a top test team? In India they would have lost anyway but the margins of defeats are really bad. And Sri Lanka is obv a poor test team but have now become only Asian team EVER to win a test series in SA
    Last edited by Slog; 14th October 2019 at 12:14.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The home series loss was some out of the world stuff. Credit to SL. I would consider it as some magical stuff. But their problem is overseas. In SL they failed to cross 150 in 3 out of 4 innings. out of the 40 wickets they lost in 2 tests, 37 fell to spinners which is quiet staggering. They have proved in India they struggle against pace as well. Unless and until they find rock solid top order they will continue to struggle. You simply cannot replace guys like Amla, ABDV just like that.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quota system has destroyed South African cricket for good. They will still be an okay middling team, but would never reach the heights of the pre-quota era.

Whites are not picking cricket anymore in schools and the non-whites are not good enough barring a few exceptions. I can see them heading the Zimbabwe route in a few years.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    absolutely not

hamza
    rudi second
    klaasen
    malaan

are all waiting to get picked

bowling has

nortje
    bosch
    simpala

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Pakistan is a terrible team in general and especially in Tests.

Any thoughts?

With Steyn, Amla and AB gone now are they a top test team? In India they would have lost anyway but the margins of defeats are really bad. And Sri Lanka is obv a poor test team but have now become only Asian team EVER to win a test series in SA
    pakostan is a good team. there is selection bias which ruins team chemistry hence the poor performances.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    704 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    1. Six franchise teams in SA domestic where the playing XI must have atleast 3 black and 3 coloured cricketers as part of their transformation targets. Simon harmer couldn't get a friggin place in a franchise side but Dane piedt plays test cricket. That's seriously flawed.

2. Cricketers prioritising Kolpak/T20 leagues - Much more lucrative and you are mostly guarantee d to play.

3. Playing on very bowling friendly tracks in domestic means batsmen don't score big runs and trundlers like philander struggle to take wickets on flat tracks.

4. They don't have a lot of talent regardless of colour anyway. Or atleast they aren't going to be developed properly because if the aforementioned reasons.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    South african cricket is at an all time low but their cricket won't die, the youngsters are waiting for their chances and as soon as the time comes they will cash in.

Janneman malan
    Dussen
    Zubair hamza
    Nortze

They have quality youngsters, so in two years they'll be back to business.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    WoW , I didn't believe I would be alive to see this day.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They have talented players. South African cricket will be fine.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    Melbourne(Dilli)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They produce some good cricketers. Finding new talent wont be an issue for them.

I feel their bowling is not experienced enough yet on these conditions but they are on a learning curve and only going to get better. Lets be honest they got pummled by high quality test team on their home conditions.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    They are an elite cricket nation and they will bounce back. This dip in form is understandable because it was inevitable after the retirement of their old stalwarts.

They might stoop down to Pakistan and Sri Lankaís level for now, but it is only a matter of time before are back among the top 3 sides.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyron_woodley View Post
    pakostan is a good team. there is selection bias which ruins team chemistry hence the poor performances.
    Not entirely true. While we are not maximizing our resources because of poor selection, it is a fact that there is a talent crisis in the country. We simply donít have enough quality players to be an elite team in any format.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    They are an elite cricket nation and they will bounce back. This dip in form is understandable because it was inevitable after the retirement of their old stalwarts.

They might stoop down to Pakistan and Sri Lanka’s level for now, but it is only a matter of time before are back among the top 3 sides.
    ABDV is once in a life time player. You can't get a like for like replacement that easily. Amla another South African legend in his own rights will be missed in subcontinent. They are like half the team in subcontinent.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    South Africa post ABDV has exclusively played against subcontinent sides.

Played 9 matches lost 6 won 3.

I think it will be worse against England, OZ, NZ as well.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 colored players in my eyes seems too many.

It shouldve been 4, because in a team you usually have 4 players who are hit or miss and this would not affect the team as badly as it is today.

SA has lost 3-4 players who wouldve been playing for the national team is the quota system was so flawed.

It will take years for SA to comeback to the heights they were at just becauss this system is hindering them in selecting the deserving players.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    The Quota system is to blame

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    NYC, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quota system is starting to bear fruit for SA cricket.

Any system where merit is not the one and only criterion for selection, is bound to prove disastrous.

That being said, cricket is dying everywhere in the world.

"I score a lot of runs (playing selfishly) and my team loses, what good are those runs? ."
    Inzi

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    To be honest - same could be said of Pakistan team as well but SA have such good players so it is strange that they are in this shape.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    NYC, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan has no quota based on skin color, so no, the same cannot be said about Pakistan.

"I score a lot of runs (playing selfishly) and my team loses, what good are those runs? ."
    Inzi

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by octavian View Post
    Pakistan has no quota based on skin color, so no, the same cannot be said about Pakistan.
    I think he meant "nephew and friends" quota.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    NYC, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    I think he meant "nephew and friends" quota.
    Huge difference between having an official racist policy and some alleged low level corruption in the selection by individuals.

Inzi

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Africa got heavily hit by Kolpak players. It also doesn't help that they have a stupid and counterproductive quota system.

I think South Africa are going downhill. Kolpak and quota system destroyed this team.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 15th October 2019 at 02:12.

LIONEL MESSI FAN
    Find PakPassion on Twitter: @PakPassion

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    duane Olivier- nothing special. rabada ngidi are better.

abbot - was a huge loss. This one would hurt as he was steyn's replacement but rabada again is better.

riley rusouw- not a good test player

harmer- average bowler but better than piedt.

They arent missing anyone apart from abbott really.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss the days when we faced South Africa, Australia and even Sri lanka when the competition was threatening. You had anxiety, nervousness and element of surprise. Steamrolling everyone is becoming too boring.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    losing abd
    losing amla

this hurt them the most.

They will be replaced. hamza, rudi second, klaasen and malaan are all waiting. 3 of them are under 26.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transition phase. Every team goes through this at some point.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

They might stoop down to Pakistan and Sri Lankaís level for now, but it is only a matter of time before are back among the top 3 sides.
    Tbh they do have young players with potential but politics is getting more and more involved even at grassroots level. I read on the other forum about how Bavuma is groomed to be a future captain!!!!!

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expected markram, de bruyn to perform, but they did not. they still have untried batting talents like zubayr hamza and rudi second. spinners like bjorn fortuin and linde have not been tried yet.

this team is transitioning , i think they are still better than sri lanka and will succeed. they have talent, just need to find the right combination of players.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by octavian View Post
    I meant in terms of decline in fortunes. We can come up with many reasons for it but the bottom line is the decline.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    This is humiliation of epic proportions.

Consecutive whitewashes on the cards