Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The British Royal Family

I am a liberal, the thought of somebody being called royal or superior by birth is some thing that I don't like. The argument that others seems to have is the economic benefit that these Royals give to their countries though tourism.

Do you think that countries like Holland and UK should abolish these old-fashioned practices, or continue because of the economic benefit?
    Last edited by James; 12th March 2022 at 01:28.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere that HM The Queen costs the state less than the President of France or Chancellor of Germany.

But our constitution in the U.K. relies on our leaders being good eggs. Johnson is a bad egg and is misleading the Sovereign. So I now think we should have an Executive President with the power to sanction a bad egg PM.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Prestigious historical royal familes sure, but not useless royal families from third world countries.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would be ok with a King and Queen if they actually had ruling power and were just. Also if they actually lead from the front, going into battles as Kings used to do. Now they have no power and sit around enjoying a great lifestyle just because they are born into it.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally the whole thing is outdated. Families born with a golden spoon in their mouth's do not merit respect.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a fan and most of the ones in the west are useless figureheads anyways, the only benefit they have is that they can go unaccountable and break every law.

I think Canada and all the other commonwealth nations should finally become a Republic and replace the British Royal family.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The Duke of Edinburgh has been admitted to hospital as a "precautionary measure", Buckingham Palace has said.

Prince Philip travelled from the Queen's Sandringham Estate in Norfolk to the King Edward VII Hospital in London on Friday morning.

In a statement, the palace said it was for observation and treatment in relation to a pre-existing condition on the advice of Prince Philip's doctor.

He was not taken by ambulance and it was a planned admission.

The duke, 98, retired from public life in August 2017.

He spent decades supporting the Queen and attending events for his own charities and organisations.

Since retiring from official solo royal duties, he has appeared in public alongside the Queen and other members of the Royal Family at events and church services.

The duke has not been seen in public since attending Lady Gabriella Windsor's wedding in May.

In the statement, the palace said: "The Duke of Edinburgh travelled from Norfolk this morning to the King Edward VII Hospital in London for observation and treatment in relation to a pre-existing condition.

"The admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness' Doctor."

The duke walked into hospital, BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell said. He is expected to remain there for a few days.

Police officers are stationed outside the hospital in Marylebone where the duke has been admitted.

It comes as the Queen arrived at her Sandringham Estate on Friday for the start of her Christmas break.

She caught the 10:42 GMT Great Northern service from London's King's Cross and was later pictured stepping off the train at King's Lynn railway station.

Last Christmas, Prince Philip missed the royals' traditional Christmas Day trip to church but was said to be in good health.

In February, it was announced the duke had given up his driving licence. It came after he was involved in a car crash with another vehicle near the Sandringham Estate.

He has received treatment for various health conditions over the years.

In 2011, he was treated for a blocked coronary artery. The following year, the prince suffered a bladder infection and was forced to miss the Queen's Diamond Jubilee concert.

He was also taken to hospital for an abdomen operation in 2013 and, in 2014, underwent surgery on his right hand.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50870869

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It’s not ok. It disgusts me to see these royal families being celebrated. They are a shameful relic of cruelty and colonialism.

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its ok better than corrupt politicians

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rhodes: We donít have kings, Dad. We live in a democracy.

Rhodes Snr: You sound like a. ..... . Hippie!

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends. The royal families of UK, Spain, Sweden, Norway etc have limited power, are great ambassadors for their nations and attract millions of tourists because of them. Not so powerful and not that dangerous.

Then you have the royal families of Saudi Arabia and the Gulf nations which has caused more harm than good imo...

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I donít think immigrants should have an opinion on this particular matter and it should be the prerogative of the native inhabitants whether to have a royal family or not

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    I don’t think immigrants should have an opinion on this particular matter and it should be the prerogative of the native inhabitants whether to have a royal family or not
    We are into 4th generation here in the UK. They are no longer immigrants, most cant even speak any other language but English.

On topic, The Prince is a pedo. This should be enough to give you a clue about the British Royals.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I donít think immigrants should have an opinion on this particular matter and it should be the prerogative of the native inhabitants whether to have a royal family or not
    Everyone has an opinion on everything. People have the ability to think and canít just randomly switch their brains off.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    It’s not ok. It disgusts me to see these royal families being celebrated. They are a shameful relic of cruelty and colonialism.
    Lord Mountbatten's 'lust for young boys' exposed in FBI files
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...AzlQt6aTf7ZSUI

Last viceroy to 'India'. Shameful man who prob abused many young Indian boys while there. They are all degenerates and should be sent packing with all their stolen loot taken back.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don’t think immigrants should have an opinion on this particular matter and it should be the prerogative of the native inhabitants whether to have a royal family or not
    Poor comment

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their children have been pictured inadvertently breaching the rule of six during a wider family walk in Norfolk

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An asshat of a comment.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of agree. Immigrants can have their opinions but the gravity should be given to native inhibitants only. Simple reason, immigrants won't have the same connection, loyalty towards these families and hence without involved in the system too much, you shouldn't be the judge.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Totally against any monarchy or any other system of unequal Porter distribution.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miandadrules View Post
    Totally against any monarchy or any other system of unequal Porter distribution.
    What is your idealistic form of government?

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    I kind of agree. Immigrants can have their opinions but the gravity should be given to native inhibitants only. Simple reason, immigrants won't have the same connection, loyalty towards these families and hence without involved in the system too much, you shouldn't be the judge.
    What defines a native?...

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miandadrules View Post
    Power not porter

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaykh View Post
    What defines a native?...
    The specific frame of reference that was taken in to consideration.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    What is your idealistic form of government?
    No ideal.

But I think anarchi-syndicalism is a good place to start.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @miandadrules

I figured that much but I meant what next?

For example, system of schooling, healthcare, economy? How would you set those up? How would you elect the officials?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Kings over these politicians any day. Too much democracy becomes anarchy.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Los Santos
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cause these monarchs really respected the rights of the native inhabitants of the lands they colonized when they were busy expanding their empires? lol.

Also some monarchies are present in immigrant nations like Canada and Australia where the natives are not more than 1% of the population and restricted to desolate reservations. I think most Canadians want to get rid of the Windsors especially the French-Canadiens.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be a non-issue as long as it doesn't interfere negatively.

I think concept of royal family has run its course. It is more symbolic than anything else.

Bangladeshi Guy

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are not 'OK' with the existence of the British Royal family, then read the first page of your British Passport and put your money where your mouth is - surrender it.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    If you are not 'OK' with the existence of the British Royal family, then read the first page of your British Passport and put your money where your mouth is - surrender it.
    It’ll be surrendered once Scotland gains Independence. The only Scots that are holding the rest back are Christian Protestants who are Unionists. The rest of us say screw the Queen.
    Last edited by The Viper; 24th December 2020 at 23:10.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Worth watching The Crown on Netflix.

Very interesting series.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just started season 3 of The Crown...

Brilliant so far

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    Just started season 3 of The Crown...

Brilliant so far
    Eye-opening.

They say it's not completely true, but I'm sure plenty of it is fact-based.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Eye-opening.

They say it's not completely true, but I'm sure plenty of it is fact-based.
    What is telling is that there is no big hue and cry coming from the Royals/Establishment.
    I'm sure a lot of what we're seeing actually happened.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    What is telling is that there is no big hue and cry coming from the Royals/Establishment.
    Not really as they never comment about anything. The Queen has her weekly visit from the PM and that is the only time she expresses political opinion.

I think it is a marvellous series and a fascinating interpretation of historical, events but of course amped up for dramatic effect. We have no idea what the Queen says to the Duke or her sister or her children.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about UK power structure but from the looks of it

Royals aren't exactly "establishment" per se

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Leeds Leeds Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m reasonably OK with the existence of royal families existing in countries in this era, because their existence doesn’t really impact on my existence in countries in which they’re existing. However there does exist an existence of adulation and clamour which I wish there wasn’t an existence of, in both the countries in which they’re existing, and in the countries in which their existence is no longer existing.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    I don't know much about UK power structure but from the looks of it

Royals aren't exactly "establishment" per se
    Sorry by establishment I meant the government and civil service...
    We've not heard much from them either...

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    An armed man has been arrested after breaking into the grounds of Windsor Castle on Christmas Day, police have said.
    Officers from Thames Valley and the Metropolitan Police were called to a security breach at around 8.30am in the grounds of the castle in Berkshire.

A 19-year-old man from Southampton has been arrested and is in custody, Thames Valley Police said.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

MoD Responds After Queen's Guard Tramples Over Child Who Gets In Their Way

In the short clip, which was shared anonymously on TikTok, two royal guards can be seen marching as members of the public watch on.

When a small child steps in the path of one of the guards, they don't break stride, instead shouting at the youngster before knocking them over and continuing with the patrol.

Onlookers can be heard gasping in shock, although the child is fortunately back on their feet within seconds, seemingly relatively unscathed.

Judging from the caption, it seems as though the kid in question was from a family who were spending their first day visiting England.
    https://www.ladbible.com/news/mod-re...n-way-20211229

If these clowns cant avoid trampling over a child, no wonder their brethren got a whooping in Afghanistan. Poor from these so called soldiers.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    its in thr rulebook - they walk if if anyone is in thr way

#blacklivesmatter

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    70 years and counting.

ó ó ó

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60279585

Prince Charles leads Jubilee tributes to 'remarkable' Queen

The Prince of Wales has paid tribute to the Queen on her Platinum Jubilee for the "remarkable achievement" of reaching 70 years on the throne.

Prince Charles welcomed his mother's wish that Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, be known as Queen Consort when he becomes King.

He said he and his wife were "deeply conscious of the honour".

The Queen is the first British monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee, and is spending the day privately.

In a message marking the 70th anniversary of her reign, the Queen said it was her "sincere wish" that Camilla would have that title.

Prince Charles said in a statement: "The Queen's devotion to the welfare of all her people inspires still greater admiration with each passing year.

"We are deeply conscious of the honour represented by my mother's wish. As we have sought together to serve and support Her Majesty and the people of our communities, my darling wife has been my own steadfast support throughout."

The Queen's reign began when she was 25 years old, following the death of her father, George VI, on 6 February 1952.

The monarch said that, 70 years on, the day is one she remembers "as much for the death of my father, King George VI, as for the start of my reign".

The 95-year-old said in a written message to the nation: "I would like to express my thanks to you all for your support. I remain eternally grateful for, and humbled by, the loyalty and affection that you continue to give me."

The Jubilee is the monarch's first without the Duke of Edinburgh, her husband of 73 years, who died last year.

She reflected on how much she had gained from support given "unselfishly" by Prince Philip and thanked the goodwill shown to her by "all nationalities, faiths and ages in this country".

The Queen signed off the message: "Your servant Elizabeth R."

Many have congratulated the Queen on this historic day, including Boris Johnson, Theresa May and David Cameron - three of the 14 British prime ministers to occupy No 10 during her reign.

Mr Johnson posted on Twitter: "I pay tribute to her many years of service and look forward to coming together as a country to celebrate her historic reign in the summer."

His predecessor, Mrs May, described the monarch as "an extraordinary woman, who has dedicated her life to the service of her people and our family of nations".

Mr Cameron said: "There can be no finer example of dignified public duty and service."

Leader of the opposition, Sir Keir Starmer, echoed these sentiments, saying he would like to express his "deepest thanks" for 70 years of "unparalleled public service".

The Labour leader added: "Her Majesty The Queen has been one vital and valued constant in an ever-changing world, representing security and stability for our country, during the ups and downs of the last seven decades."

The Queen used the eve of her Jubilee to directly address the unresolved question of Camilla's future title.

There had been suggestions Camilla would be known as Princess Consort.

The usual precedent would have been for Camilla to automatically become Queen when Charles was King, but because of uncertainty about public opinion it had been suggested that might not be the case.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60334842

Prince Charles tests positive for Covid, Clarence House says

The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Covid-19 and is now self-isolating, Clarence House has said on Twitter.

Prince Charles received the positive result this morning and has postponed the unveiling of a statue in Winchester.

On Wednesday, he and his wife the Duchess of Cornwall met people at a reception in the British Museum.

This is the second time the 73-year-old has contracted coronavirus after he reported mild symptoms in March 2020.

Charles had been due to unveil a statue of Licoricia of Winchester, a medieval Jewish businesswoman who was a money lender and single parent in the Hampshire city.

Clarence House said His Royal Highness was "deeply disappointed not to be able to attend... and will look to reschedule his visit as soon as possible".

The evening before he tested positive, Charles and Camilla were at a reception in the British Museum to celebrate the work of the British Asian Trust (BAT).

Guests included Chancellor Rishi Sunak, Home Secretary Priti Patel and former Liverpool footballer Ian Rush.

In England, contacts of positive Covid cases who are fully vaccinated should take lateral flow tests for seven days. They do not have to self-isolate unless they test positive.

Clarence House confirmed that Prince Charles was triple vaccinated, but would not give any detail on whether he was experiencing coronavirus symptoms.

It is also yet to confirm whether Charles has seen the Queen recently. But it said Camilla had tested negative in a routine test on Thursday.

The duchess has carried on with her planned engagements, earlier visiting Paddington Haven, a sexual assault referral centre in West London.

Here she met former Love Island star Zara McDermott and discussed her experience of revenge porn and assault.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Prime Minister Imran Khan on Friday extended an invitation to Britain's Prince Charles and his wife, Duchess of Cornwall Camilla Shand, to visit Pakistan in celebration of 75 years of diplomatic relations between Islamabad and London.

According to Express, PTI leader Zulfi Bukhari met Prince Charles in London and conveyed the invitation.

“Pakistan and the UK are close friends and long-standing partners,” Bukhari said. “Pakistan and UK want to celebrate the 75th anniversary of diplomatic relations in a grand manner. Prime Minister Imran Khan is looking forward to the visit of Prince Charles and his wife Camilla to Pakistan. We hope that you will visit Pakistan soon this year. Their visit to Pakistan will be effective for global efforts to tackle climate change.”

The Prince of Wales thanked PM Imran and Bukhari for the invitation and also thanked the federal government for the safe evacuation of British citizens and diplomatic staff from Afghanistan during the Taliban takeover of the country.

He said Pakistan had a historic relationship with the UK and lauded Islamabad's positive role in role in promoting peace and stability in the region. Prince Charles further commended PM Imran for his efforts to tackle climate change and said he appreciated Pakistan's positive role in global affairs under his leadership.

In 2019, another British royal couple – Prince William and Kate Middleton- visited Pakistan on a five-day tour.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The Duchess of Cornwall has tested positive for COVID-19, Clarence House has said.

Camilla, 74, caught the virus for the first time just days after her husband the Prince of Wales caught it a second time.

A Clarence House spokesman said on Monday: "Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall has tested positive for COVID-19 and is self-isolating.

"We continue to follow government guidelines."

Both Charles and Camilla have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including a booster shot.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The Metropolitan Police is to investigate claims Prince Charles' charity offered honours help to a Saudi citizen.

The force said it is investigating alleged offences under the Honours (Prevention of Abuses) Act 1925.

There have been no arrests or interviews under caution, the Met said.

The Prince's Foundation said it would be "inappropriate to comment on an ongoing investigation".

It is understood to be continuing to offer its full co-operation to the Metropolitan Police.

Clarence House reiterated its previous insistence that Prince Charles had "no knowledge of the alleged offer of honours or British citizenship on the basis of donation to his charities".

He is president of the foundation but is not involved with its governance, with the charity's trustees overseeing its day-to-day activities.

The Met's decision to investigate follows its assessment of a letter it received last September relating to media reports that Prince Charles' former valet Michael Fawcett allegedly offered to help secure an honour for a Saudi citizen.

Anti-monarchy pressure group Republic reported the heir to the throne and Fawcett to the police last September.

Its chief executive Graham Smith said: "We hope the investigation will be carried out without fear or favour and be as thorough as it needs to be."

After the allegations emerged, Mr Fawcett temporarily stepped back as chief executive of The Prince's Foundation, before resigning in November. The charity announced an investigation into the allegations.

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement that its decision to investigate alleged offences followed "assessment of a September 2021 letter. This related to media reporting alleging offers of help were made to secure honours and citizenship for a Saudi national".

It added: "Officers liaised with The Prince's Foundation about the findings of an independent investigation into fundraising practices.

"The foundation provided a number of relevant documents.

"These documents were reviewed alongside existing information. The assessment determined an investigation will commence.

"There have been no arrests or interviews under caution."

The businessman, Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz, is reported to have donated money to restoration projects of interest to Prince Charles. Mr Mahfouz is not accused of, and denies, any wrongdoing.

Honours - such as MBEs, OBEs and CBEs - publicly recognise people's achievements in public life or commitment to serving Britain and anyone in the UK can nominate a British national to receive one.

Honorary awards are given to people who are not British or a national of a country where the Queen is Head of State.

Most are awarded on the recommendation of an honours committee within the Cabinet Office, which is then sent to the prime minister and awarded by the Queen.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II has tested positive for COVID-19 with “mild” symptoms.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The announcement from Buckingham Palace that the Queen has tested positive for Covid is a careful balancing act between telling the public about the Queen getting the virus - while at the same time playing down any sense of alarm.

So the concern about the 95-year-old monarch has been countered by the assurance that the symptoms are mild and she is well enough to carry on working.

Emphasising this business-as-usual approach, the Queen was back at work on Sunday to sign off a message of congratulations to the Winter Olympics curling teams.

Like for the curlers, the royal brushers have smoothed a path for what might otherwise be a worrying message.

In terms of what happens next - the Queen is clearly going to be very carefully monitored by her personal medical team.

BBC
    Last edited by MenInG; 22nd February 2022 at 17:20.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The Queen has cancelled her planned virtual engagements as she continues to suffer mild COVID symptoms, Buckingham Place has said.

The palace confirmed the 95-year-old monarch tested positive for coronavirus on Sunday and was planning to continue carrying out "light duties" at Windsor Castle.

A spokesman on Tuesday said: "As Her Majesty is still experiencing mild cold like symptoms, she has decided not to undertake her planned virtual engagements today, but will continue with light duties."

SKY

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The Queen has postponed planned virtual audiences for the second time this week in the wake of her COVID diagnosis, Buckingham Palace has said.

A spokesman said: "The two virtual audiences that had previously been scheduled to take place today will now be rescheduled for a later date.

"Her Majesty is continuing with light duties. No other engagements are scheduled for this week."

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not looking great for HM The Queen atm.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have said they "stand" with the people of Ukraine as they "bravely fight".

In a tweet, Prince William and Catherine said they had met President Volodymyr Zelensky and his wife in 2020 and said: "Today we stand with the president and all of Ukraine's people as they bravely fight for that future."

Prince Harry and Meghan also released a statement saying they stood with the people of Ukraine "against this breach of international and humanitarian law" and encouraged global leaders to do the same.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blue and yellow flowers as Queen meets Trudeau

The Queen posed in front of blue and yellow flowers, the national colours of Ukraine, as she held her first in-person meeting at Windsor Castle since falling ill with Covid.

On whether this was a symbolic show of support, a Royal source indicated it was unlikely to be accidental.

The 95-year-old monarch was pictured smiling warmly at Justin Trudeau as he held her right hand in both of his.

Mr Trudeau is in the UK for talks with Boris Johnson about the Ukraine war.

The monarch, who is also Queen of Canada, tested positive for Covid-19 on 20 February and has carried out only "light duties" since then, cancelling several events.

She carried out her first virtual engagements on 1 March before Monday's face-to-face meeting.

During the audience at Windsor Castle's Oak Room, Mr Trudeau was also pictured laughing as the Queen gestured towards herself.

The Queen was not seen with the walking stick which she has been using recently.

Asked later at a Downing Street news conference about his meeting with the monarch, Mr Trudeau said: "She was as insightful and perspicacious as ever, very interested in what is going on, asked me all sorts of questions about Canada.

"We had a really useful - for me anyway - conversation about global events, as we always do."

As well as this gesture of support for Ukraine at the meeting, the Queen previously made a donation to the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to help people fleeing the conflict in Ukraine.

She has two high-profile events scheduled in the coming weeks: the Commonwealth Service on 14 March and the Duke of Edinburgh's memorial service on 29 March, both at Westminster Abbey.

Last month, she reached her Platinum Jubilee after 70 years on the throne.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60650285

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Queen pulls out of attending Commonwealth Service

The Queen will not attend next week's Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace has said.

This is usually a significant occasion for the Queen and earlier in the week it had been hoped she would attend.

The decision is understood to be about concerns over her discomfort with travelling, rather than illness.

The message from Buckingham Palace does not mention the health of the 95-year-old Queen, but says not attending the Commonwealth Service on Monday was decided "after discussing arrangements with the Royal Household".

It is understood not to be related to an illness - but there have been concerns about the Queen's ability to travel and her mobility.

As she told defence staff in a meeting last month: "As you can see, I can't move."

The Queen, who recently recovered from Covid, is said to regret not being able to attend the event celebrating the Commonwealth, in what would have been one of her biggest public appearances of the year so far.

She has been carrying out diplomatic engagements at Windsor Castle, such as meeting the Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and is expected to continue with such in-person audiences next week.

The Commonwealth Service was one of two major events in the Queen's diary this month - the other being the service of thanksgiving for her husband, Prince Philip.

At the annual service marking Commonwealth Day, the Queen will be represented by Prince Charles and other senior royals will be there, including Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

The monarch last missed the event in 2013, when recovering from a bout of gastroenteritis, but before that she had not been absent from the service for 20 years.

The service at Westminster Abbey, with a focus on the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, will be addressed by the former Archbishop of York, John Sentamu.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60715218

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Her Majestyís health certainly seems to be in steep decline now.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are setting off on a week-long tour of the Caribbean - their first joint overseas trip since the start of the pandemic.

A visit planned for the start of the tour has been cancelled however, after local residents in Belize reportedly voiced opposition. The row is linked to a charity William supports as patron.

William and Catherine will also visit Jamaica and the Bahamas.

Their tour is to mark the Queen's Platinum Jubilee this year.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Dozens of senior Jamaican officials are demanding slavery reparations ahead of a visit by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, amid growing scrutiny over the British Empire's colonial ties.

A letter signed by 100 Jamaican leaders said the country sees "no reason" to celebrate the Queen's 70 years on the throne because her leadership and her predecessors "perpetuated the greatest human rights tragedy in the history of humankind".

The couple's upcoming two-day trip to Jamaica has angered some who say they are still waiting for an apology and slavery reparations.

The couple are set to head to Jamaica for a two-day stay, as part of their tour in the Caribbean which started last Saturday.

They are expected to celebrate reggae legend Bob Marley's legacy - which has angered some Jamaicans who say the singer also called for reparations.

"As a Rastafarian, Bob Marley embodied advocacy and is recognized globally for the principles of human rights, equality, reparations and repatriation," stated the letter from the Jamaican leaders.

The group added that it is saddened that more progress hadn't been made to mend the "burden of our colonial inheritance".

Hundreds of thousands of African slaves toiled in Jamaica under more than 300 years of British rule and faced brutal conditions.

Prince William and Kate already faced opposition in Belize, where they were forced to cancel a visit to a cacao farm due to demonstrations staged by villagers who protested against their visit.

Residents of Indian Creek village reportedly voiced opposition to the royals' visit due to a dispute involving a charity Prince William supports and plans to land the Cambridges' helicopter on a local football pitch.

The villagers are also in a land dispute with a conservation group that is backed by the Royal Family.

The couple did receive a warmer welcome from the Belize prime minister during a formal dinner on the grounds of the Cahal Pech Archaeological Reserve.

Prince William pointed out that Belize had joined many other nations condemning Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

"Today we think of those struggling in Ukraine and we stand with them in solidarity," Prince William said.

The royals' visit coincides with the Queen's 70th year on the throne and aims to strengthen Britain's ties with Commonwealth countries, despite debates over nations in the region's relationship with the crown.

Last November, the eastern Caribbean island of Barbados voted to become a republic, 55 years after gaining independence from the UK.

As the Queen ceased to be the island's monarch, she sent her good wishes to the republic which remains part of the Commonwealth Of Nations.

SKY

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Queen reveals Covid left her 'very tired and exhausted'

The Queen has revealed Covid left her "very tired and exhausted" after she caught the virus earlier this year.

The monarch, 95, was taking part in a virtual hospital visit when she described her experience to a former virus patient, whose father and brother had died with the illness.

The call to the Royal London Hospital last week marked the official opening of its Queen Elizabeth Unit.

Buckingham Palace said in February that the monarch had coronavirus.

She was said to be suffering "mild cold-like symptoms" at the time.

During her video call to the hospital, the Queen said: "It [Covid] does leave one very tired and exhausted, doesn't it?"

Speaking to former Covid patient Asef Hussain and his wife Shamina, she added: "This horrible pandemic. It's not a nice result."

Mr Hussain was the third member of his family to be admitted to hospital with the virus in December 2020. While he was there, his brother and father died.

After spending seven weeks on a ventilator, he is still recovering and uses a portable oxygen machine.

Mrs Hussain told the Queen that at one point 500 friends and family from across the world were on a Zoom call praying for her husband.

The monarch asked the couple: "So you have a large family, or a large influence on people?"

And referring to the restrictions on people visiting loved ones being treated in hospital at the time, the Queen - patron of the hospital - said: "Of course not being able to see your relative was very hard."

The Queen heard how hospital staff coped with the huge influx of Covid patients.

Mireia Lopez Rey Ferrer, a senior sister who has worked at the hospital in Whitechapel, east London, since 2008, told the Queen: "As nurses, we made sure that they were not alone.

"We held their hands, we wiped their tears and we provided comfort. It felt at times that we were running a marathon with no finish line."

She added: "I look back to the last 18 months with great pride, pride not only in the care we provided to each and every single patient that was in one of our hospital beds, but pride in each member of staff that every day left their families at home despite their fears and worries and they came to work."

About 800 people from across north-east London have so far been treated at the 155-bed Queen Elizabeth Unit. It was built in five weeks to meet the demand for Covid patients, instead of the normal time period of five months.

At the end of the call, the Queen spoke to the construction team who created the unit, which is on two floors of the hospital.

She told them: "It is very interesting, isn't it, when there is some very vital thing, how everybody works together and pulls together - marvellous isn't it?"

When the team hailed the "Dunkirk spirit" that inspired them, the monarch replied: "Thank goodness it still exists."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60998927

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Queenís health:

Prince Charles has represented the Queen at a traditional coin-giving ceremony known as the Maundy Service.

It is the first time the Queen, who has been experiencing mobility problems, has missed the service in 52 years.

During the ceremony, Maundy coins were given to 96 women and 96 men - to mark every year the Queen has been alive.

Buckingham Palace has indicated the Queen is not expected to join members of the Royal Family at this year's Easter Sunday church service.

The Queen was able to attend the Thanksgiving Service for Prince Philip last month at Westminster Abbey, but she has pulled out of other recent events including the annual Commonwealth Service.

The 95-year-old Queen has only missed the service four times during her reign due to being away on overseas tours or because of the recent births of two of her children.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prince Harry and Meghan have flown to the UK to visit the Queen on their way to the Invictus Games in the Netherlands.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who had not been in the UK together since they quit as senior working royals more than two years ago, are also believed to have met Prince Charles.

It is understood Harry and Meghan were at Windsor Castle on Thursday.

Their spokesperson has confirmed they visited the Queen before their appearance at the Invictus Games in the Hague this weekend.

Earlier on Thursday, Buckingham Palace said the Queen will not attend the traditional Easter Sunday service at St George's Chapel in Windsor.

Her Majesty, who is due to celebrate her 96th birthday next week, has been experiencing mobility issues.

The Queen at the traditional Easter Sunday service in 2019. Pic: AP
    Harry has visited the UK after being absent from the Duke of Edinburgh's memorial service in London last month.

A spokesperson for Harry confirmed earlier in March that he would miss the service for his grandfather, but that he hoped to visit the Queen soon.

The duke is bringing a claim against the Home Office after being told he would no longer be given the same degree of personal protective security when visiting from the US, despite offering to pay for it himself.

He and Meghan moved to California after stepping back from royal duties in January 2020.

Harry wants to bring his children, Archie, aged two, and 10-month-old Lilibet, to visit, but he and his family are "unable to return to his home" because it is too dangerous, his legal representative has said.

https://news.sky.com/story/prince-ha...games-12590434

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Protesters demanded an end to colonialism as the Earl and Countess of Wessex entered the second leg of their Caribbean tour.

Edward and Sophie were greeted with about 15 people holding banners saying "reparation now", "compensation now", "down with neo colonialism" and "Britain your debt is outstanding" as they arrived at Government House in St Vincent and the Grenadines.

A visit to Grenada was called off shortly before the tour began, while the Royal Family have been warned to avoid "phony sanctimony" over slavery.

In an open letter, the Antigua and Barbuda Reparations Support Commission said it had become "common for members of the Royal Family and representatives of the government of Britain to come to this region and lament that slavery was an 'appalling atrocity', that it was 'abhorrent', that 'it should not have happened'".

The letter added: "We hear the phony sanctimony of those who came before you that these crimes are a 'stain on your history'."

It follows the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's recent tour of the region. He and Kate were accused of benefitting from the "blood, tears and sweat" of slaves and met by a protest calling for reparations from the British monarchy.

Before the protest, Edward and Sophie were given their second red carpet and guard of honour of the tour after landing in St Vincent and the Grenadines.

Scouts, girl guides and cadets waved the national flag while Bob Marley's One Love was played on steel drums.

Sophie visited a community college while Edward went to the island's national stadium where he met athletes training for the Birmingham Commonwealth Games, beginning in late July.

The couple were also due to plant a tree marking the Queen's 70 years as monarch at the botanical gardens.

SKY

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Platinum Jubilee: Harry and Andrew will not appear on Buckingham Palace balcony

Prince Harry and Prince Andrew will NOT appear on the Buckingham Palace balcony as part of opening celebrations for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee.

The monarch will be joined on 2 June only by "members of the Royal Family who are currently undertaking official public duties", Buckingham Palace said.

Despite not appearing on the balcony, Prince Harry and his wife Meghan will travel to the UK for the Jubilee.

The Queen, 96, plans to attend some Jubilee events, the palace said.

But her attendance won't be confirmed until nearer the time, or even on the day, after mobility problems led her to cancel a number of appearances in recent months.

A spokesperson for the Duke and the Duchess of Sussex said they would be coming to the UK for the Jubilee with their two children, Archie and Lilibet.

The couple were said to be "excited and honoured to attend the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations".

The Platinum Jubilee events, marking the Queen's 70-year reign, will take place over a four-day bank holiday on 2 to 5 June.

There had been speculation about who would take part in the iconic royal balcony scene at the start of the Jubilee weekend, watching a flypast and waving to the crowds at Trooping the Colour.

But Buckingham Palace said the Queen had decided that appearances on the balcony would be limited to "working royals", who carry out official royal duties, and their children - effectively ruling out Prince Andrew, Prince Harry and Meghan.

Prince Andrew stepped down from royal duties in the wake of the now-settled civil sex assault case brought against him in the United States.

The Queen's decision reflects the principle that there will not be "half-in, half-out" royals - and will mean a changed line-up for such balcony appearances for the Royal Family.

On the balcony, along with the Queen, will be the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their children.

The group will also include the Earl and Countess of Wessex and their children, and Anne, the Princess Royal, and her husband, Sir Timothy Laurence, plus the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra.

While Prince Harry and Prince Andrew, and his daughters Beatrice and Eugenie, will not be part of the balcony scene, they could attend other Jubilee events, such as the Jubilee Lunch or the thanksgiving service.

The Queen, who has mobility problems, has had to pull out of a number of recent events - and there have been questions about how much she will be able to participate in Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

The latest update leaves the question open - with the Queen planning to take part in some of the events, but with nothing being confirmed until much closer to the time.

This includes the National Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral - and if the Queen attends she will not take part in a ceremonial procession to get there.

Along with viewing Trooping the Colour, the Queen also plans to attend the Epsom Derby, which takes place on 4 June, during the long Jubilee bank holiday weekend.

The Platinum Jubilee Pageant will see the re-appearance of the Gold State Coach, not seen on the streets of London for more than 20 years.

This was the 18th Century horse-drawn carriage used to carry the Queen to her coronation in 1953.

The Queen's Platinum Jubilee 2022 - timetable of key events

ē Thursday 2 June - Queen's birthday parade and Trooping the Colour takes place - as Platinum Jubilee Beacons across in 2,000 towns and cities light up.

ē Friday 3 June - National Service of Thanksgiving is held at St Pauls. Ringing of Great Paul, the restored biggest church bell in the country.

ē Saturday 4 June - The Derby at Epsom Downs Racecourse - and BBC Platinum Party at the Palace.

ē Sunday 5 June - Big Jubilee Lunch and street parties. Platinum Jubilee Pageant, a procession and performance in central London, involving 10,000 people and the Gold State Coach.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The Queen will not be attending tomorrow's State Opening of Parliament for the first time in 59 years, Buckingham Palace has said.

In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: "The Queen continues to experience episodic mobility problems, and in consultation with her doctors has reluctantly decided that she will not attend the State Opening of Parliament tomorrow."

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else getting bored by the lectures of staunch republicans about how the Jubilee celebrations are a waste of money?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    Anyone else getting bored by the lectures of staunch republicans about how the Jubilee celebrations are a waste of money?
    Not really.

Though I am starting to think that HM The Queen should step down next week, and Charles III radically reduce the monarchy to make it more relevant to modern UK.

And a written Constitution should codify the role of the Sovereign if it continues.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Platinum Jubilee: Queen thanks nation as Jubilee weekend begins

The Queen said she is "inspired" by the goodwill of the nation as celebrations for her Platinum Jubilee begun.

In a Jubilee message, she thanked the public for organising events and said "many happy memories" would be made.

Millions are gearing up for street parties to mark the monarch's 70 years on the throne over the four-day bank holiday weekend.

A new official photograph of the Queen at Windsor Castle was also released.

As well as community celebrations across the country, there are a series of official events, starting with Thursday's Trooping the Colour parade and ending on Sunday with a Jubilee Pageant through London.

The monarch said: "I continue to be inspired by the goodwill shown to me, and hope that the coming days will provide an opportunity to reflect on all that has been achieved during the last 70 years, as we look to the future with confidence and enthusiasm."

The portrait released along with her message was taken by Ranald Mackechnie in the Victoria Vestibule at Windsor Castle earlier this year.

It shows the Queen looking contented, sitting on a cushioned window seat at the castle which has been her main home for the last couple of years.

The famous Round Tower is visible through the window.

Mr Mackechnie took two previous portraits of the Queen alongside the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and Prince George to mark her 90th birthday in 2016.

The traditional Trooping the Colour parade to mark the Queen's official birthday involves more than 1,500 officers and soldiers and 350 horses from the Household Division, as well as an RAF flypast.

The 96-year-old monarch, who has mobility issues and has recently cancelled several public appearances, is likely to join members of the Royal Family on the balcony at Buckingham Palace to watch the display.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are watching the parade, although they will not appear on the balcony.

The couple, who now live in the US, have a prime vantage point from the Duke of Wellington's former office, overlooking Horse Guards Parade, where they can see Prince Charles inspect the guardsmen and officers and take their salute in his mother's place.

They travelled with their children Archie, three, and Lilibet, who turns one on Saturday. Lilibet is the Queen's family nickname.

The Queen's son Prince Andrew, whose royal titles were returned to the Crown amid a lawsuit in the US, is not present.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61654780

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The Queen will not attend tomorrow's thanksgiving service at St Paul's Cathedral, Buckingham Palace has said

In a statement, a spokesperson said: "The Queen greatly enjoyed today's Birthday Parade and Flypast but did experience some discomfort.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    The Queen will not attend tomorrow's thanksgiving service at St Paul's Cathedral, Buckingham Palace has said

In a statement, a spokesperson said: "The Queen greatly enjoyed today's Birthday Parade and Flypast but did experience some discomfort.
    Not a good sign.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a good sign at all.

Was such a useless parade today. Gave me mild discomfort watching it from my living room.

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Brit royal family that has stolen, raped and pillaged more than half the world during their peak of powers, I dont understand the world's fascination with them. They really should not get more attention than a common criminal.

Kut khani hai to aa jao idher, khushbo laga ke!

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    The Brit royal family that has stolen, raped and pillaged more than half the world during their peak of powers, I dont understand the world's fascination with them. They really should not get more attention than a common criminal.
    To be fair that was mostly the House of Hanover, which built the Empire, not Windsor which watched it get taken down.

Basically they are icons of Britishness - touchstones of identity, history and culture. Thatís the attraction.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Platinum Jubilee: Queen will not attend Epsom Derby - palace

The Queen will not attend the Epsom Derby on Saturday, Buckingham Palace has said.

She will instead watch the showpiece horse racing event - which is part of her Platinum Jubilee celebrations - on TV at Windsor Castle, the palace said.

Until the pandemic, the Queen had only missed Derby Day twice in her reign.

The 96-year-old earlier pulled out of Friday's Jubilee thanksgiving service after experiencing "discomfort" during Thursday's events.

The Queen has previously spoken of mobility problems and the palace confirmed ahead of the Jubilee the monarch would consider the events she felt able to attend during the four-day celebration.

Nonetheless, the event was officially billed as being attended by the Queen.

The Princess Royal is expected to officially represent the Queen at Saturday's Derby.

Earlier, the Queen's love of horse racing was referenced at a packed thanksgiving service at St Paul's Cathedral.

Archbishop of York Stephen Cottrell praised her for "staying the course" and said she was "still in the saddle", even though she was not able to attend.

Derby Day will see the Queen's unprecedented 70 years on the throne celebrated by 40 retired and current jockeys who have ridden for the monarch, and will form a guard of honour.

The jockeys will dress in her distinctive purple, gold and red racing silks, and racecourse owners the Jockey Club say the Queen's Stand will be permanently renamed the Queen Elizabeth II Stand.

The Queen's hopes of having a winner on this year's Derby Day ended earlier as her only runner was pulled out of a race.

Just Fine had been entered for the penultimate race but was removed at Thursday's 48-hour declaration stage.

Another of her horses Reach For The Moon, who was among the early favourites for the Derby itself, was withdrawn in May along with two others.

Thoroughbreds owned by the Queen have won four out of the five flat racing classics, with only the Derby eluding her.

Meanwhile, a Jubilee attendee said she was told the Queen was "fine" by the Duchess of Cambridge during an event at London's Guildhall earlier.

Gill Smallwood told PA news agency she had asked after the Queen during a conversation with the duchess, who replied that the monarch had found the first day of Jubilee celebrations "very tiring", but had a "lovely time".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61626176

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    More worrying news about HMís health.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    More worrying news about HM’s health.
    After one partner in a long marriage passes, the other can quickly follow

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    After one partner in a long marriage passes, the other can quickly follow
    Yes, I have seen this before as well.

If indeed she is nearing the end, Elizabeth has had a fine reign.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have seen this before as well.

If indeed she is nearing the end, Elizabeth has had a fine reign.
    And yet at the end has been unable to rein in the depredations of Johnson.

All her Prime Ministers bar him have been relatively good eggs, with a duty to the truth.

Now we have a bad egg PM who lies as easily as he breathes, and is concentrating authoritarian power in the hands of the Executive.

Our unwritten constitution is unable to cope with a rogue PM. If the Monarchy is to continue then its constitutional role much be codified. Either that, or elect an executive president and become a republic.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    And yet at the end has been unable to rein in the depredations of Johnson.

All her Prime Ministers bar him have been relatively good eggs, with a duty to the truth.

Now we have a bad egg PM who lies as easily as he breathes, and is concentrating authoritarian power in the hands of the Executive.

Our unwritten constitution is unable to cope with a rogue PM. If the Monarchy is to continue then its constitutional role much be codified. Either that, or elect an executive president and become a republic.
    Johnson will potentially be out next week; strong rumours that Sir Graham Brady will unleash his desk drawer full of no-confidence letters once the Jubilee weekend has passed and people have had a chance to enjoy the bank holiday.

You are right that our constitution needs to be written and documented in the post national corruption era so we donít get Borisíd again.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Platinum Party at the Palace: Queen and Paddington star at jubilee concert

The Queen made a surprise appearance in a comedy sketch with Paddington Bear to kick off a star-studded Platinum Jubilee concert at Buckingham Palace.

Paddington joined the monarch in the recorded sketch before pop band Queen opened the musical performances.

The event will also include speeches from Prince Charles and Prince William.

The Queen is not watching the Platinum Party at the Palace in person, however, while the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are also not in the royal box.

Harry and Meghan, whose daughter Lilibet is celebrating her first birthday and who stepped down as senior royals in 2020, have been spending the day privately, a spokesperson said.

The Queen has been experiencing mobility problems in recent months and the palace had warned in advance that the monarch would consider which jubilee events she felt able to attend.

She had to pull out of Friday's thanksgiving service after experiencing "discomfort" during Thursday's events and also missed the Derby at Epsom earlier.

In an echo of the Queen's appearance in a sketch with James Bond for the London Olympics a decade ago, the concert opened with a two-and-a-half minute comedy segment in which she offered tea to Paddington, and showed him a marmalade sandwich she keeps in her handbag.

A Buckingham Palace statement said: "While the Queen may not be attending the concert in person, she was very keen that people understood how much it meant to her and that all those watching had a great time."

The pair then apparently tapped their tea cups to the beat of Queen's We Will Rock You as the regally-themed band, with their US singer Adam Lambert, began performing the hit, accompanied by 34 Royal Marine drummers.

Guitarist Brian May appeared on the Victoria Memorial monument, 20 years after he famously performed on the palace roof for the Golden Jubilee concert.

Speaking beforehand, he said it was "a thrill just to be here, to take up this challenge".

Drummer Roger Taylor added that it was a "hell of a thing" to be back, and said the regally-named band aimed to open the show "with a big oomph and bring some joy".

Diana Ross, George Ezra, Sir Rod Stewart, Craig David, Duran Duran, Alicia Keys, Andrea Bocelli and Elbow are among the other big names taking to three stages built outside the palace.

They are being joined by younger pop singers including Mimi Webb, Celeste and Ryder, who recently came second for the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest.

A crowd of about 22,000 is watching them in person, plus millions watching on TV.

The three-hour event also includes a celebration of West End musicals featuring the casts of The Phantom of the Opera, Hamilton, Six, The Lion King and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat.

Sam Ryder said he was on the way home from Eurovision in Italy last month when he heard he might be invited to perform at the Jubilee concert.

"To be part of something like this means so much," he told the BBC.

"There seems to be a stirring of the soul. Everyone's together, everyone's smiling, the vibe in London today and the last few days has been electric, it's just so happy."

Broadcaster Sir David Attenborough, tennis player Emma Raducanu, former footballer David Beckham and comedian and writer Stephen Fry are also involved, and there is a recorded performance from Sir Elton John.

Other royals at the palace concert include the Earl and Countess of Wessex and their children Lady Louise Windsor and Viscount Severn, the Princess Royal and her husband Sir Tim Laurence, Princess Beatrice and her husband Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, and Princess Eugenie and her husband Jack Brooksbank.

Anne's son Peter Phillips is there with his children Savannah and Isla, while Zara and Mike Tindall, who spent the day at the Epsom Derby with Anne and Sir Tim, is also there.

The Queen's cousins - the Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent and Prince Michael of Kent - with the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Michael of Kent - and Princess Margaret's daughter Lady Sarah Chatto and her family are also in attendance, along with a number of other extended family members.

Although the Queen was not at Epsom, 40 retired and current jockeys who have ridden for her in the past formed a guard of honour to honour her 70 years on the throne.

The jockeys dressed in her distinctive purple, gold and red racing silks, and the Queen's Stand will be permanently renamed the Queen Elizabeth II Stand.

Princess Anne arrived at the racecourse to cheers as part of a procession with her husband and family.

Zara Tindall, the Queen's granddaughter, said they would have loved the 96-year-old monarch to be with them at Epsom but said the Queen would be watching the Derby - which was won by Desert Crown - at home at Windsor Castle, "in her comfy clothes."

Other members of the Royal Family also attended Platinum Jubilee celebrations across the UK earlier in the day.

Prince William was in Cardiff with the Duchess of Cambridge and two of their children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte.

The family arrived at Cardiff Castle to meet the performers and crew involved in a special Platinum Jubilee Celebration Concert taking place in the grounds on Saturday afternoon.

They watched rehearsals and met some of the acts taking part, including Welsh singer Bonnie Tyler, who a few days ago was made an MBE in the Queen's birthday honours list.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex carried out two engagements in Northern Ireland. Prince Edward - the Queen's youngest son - and his wife Sophie enjoyed events in Belfast and Bangor.

Events taking place in Scotland on Saturday to mark the jubilee included a gathering of 70 corgis - the Queen's favourite dogs - and their owners at Balmoral Castle and a group of children in Kelso re-enacting the Queen's 1953 coronation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61690149

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Johnson will potentially be out next week; strong rumours that Sir Graham Brady will unleash his desk drawer full of no-confidence letters once the Jubilee weekend has passed and people have had a chance to enjoy the bank holiday.
    Of course, he might still beat a leadership challenger. He will have the Brexiteer right on his side.