"It should have been compulsory to play 2 U19 cricketers in each XI in Nat T20" : Waqar Younis

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"It should have been compulsory to play 2 U19 cricketers in each XI in Nat T20" : Waqar Younis

Waqar Younis speaking to Shoaib Akhtar and on TV today

Waqar Younis

"Good thing about Babar Azam is that he has come through the ranks - he's played U16, U19 and also played plenty of cricket for Pakistan A also; He is doing a wonderful job for himself and Pakistan and growing in confidence and getting better; Babar Azam is probably one of the batsmen we have at the moment who can really go on and beat records of Javed Miandad, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan; He is the guy who can challenge their records"

"In cricket, pace makes a big difference; Mohammad Hasnain is one who has really impressed me - he is playing T20I cricket but he is not ready for 50 overs or Test cricket, he is still growing and he is still young; Naseem Shah is another one, Akif is another one, he is a left-armer and his pace is not bad"

"But even after that, he bowls 150KpH+ as we saw in the CPL! Although I agree with Shoaib Akhtar that he loses his pace due to running on his heels and that is why I feel he is not ready for the longer versions of the game; We need to groom him and prepare him for the longer version; At the moment, I feel he is good for T20Is and he has the talent so we need to keep him with the team and try to sort out the problems such as running on the heels and his strides which are big, he needs to relax a little and needs to have rhythm in his run-up which I feel can be sorted"

"I dont think its about cutting down the run-up but bringing rhythm in the run-up, as its sometime hard to ask someone to cut down runup and bowl with same pace as before, unless he believes himself that he needs to do it"

"Both Amir and Wahab are clear in their minds that they do not want to play the longer version of the game"

"I feel that in such a tournament, they should have made it compulsory to play 2 U19 cricketers in the XI"

"I feel that not enough opportunities have been given to youngsters in this tournament as it should have been"

"Thing is nowadays there is a lot of scrutiny in selection matters so selectors a little hesitant but I am of the view that if there is a talented batsman or bowler, there needs to be a fast-track through which you put a player in - this happens in Australia and England; You need to fasttrack such players soon and at a young age"

Shoaib Akhtar:

"Hasnain runs on the heels, most of the times he labours to reach the popping crease and that's where he loses his pace"
    "He should lose about 10 yards from his run up as he seems to be struggling to get to the popping crease"
    Last edited by MenInG; 16th October 2019 at 23:41.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3025 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Some interesting points from both on TV and on Akhtar's YouTube video

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder if this has ever been implemented elsewhere in domestic leagues.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3025 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    Wonder if this has ever been implemented elsewhere in domestic leagues.
    His point was that the younger players may not get a chance to play in PSL then where else can they play etc

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why bother, you guys will probably still pick the experienced Hafeez, Malik, Kamran Akmal, Umar Akmal, Salman Butt ahead of rookie inexperienced 19 year olds no matter how talented.

Yes indeed as if Hafeezís 17 years experience as an international batsman has made him better equipped to face Aus, Eng or SA fast bowlers at any level.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I would go even further and say the starting XI should have 2 Under 19 players and a minimum of an additional three under 23 players.

Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Great idea, one bat and one Bowler.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont think cutting a run up is the answer..only wasim.got away with that..who ever has cut it short has struggled

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I would go even further and say the starting XI should have 2 Under 19 players and a minimum of an additional three under 23 players.
    That may be overdoing it a bit. Three U23 minimum is good I think.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does Pakistan have competitive school cricket? If it does we never hear about it. It would be nice if we can establish a tier system for schools with cricket that way we can get talent through proper channel (thinl of NCAA in the US). I think in Pakistan a young person has to choose between cricket or education because there aren't any options that offer both and that is a major roadblock.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    That may be overdoing it a bit. Three U23 minimum is good I think.
    The PSL can be used by franchises to do what they want, but the National T20 Cup should focus on giving youth a platform.

Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way Waqar is talking, it seems he is keen on picking young fast bowlers (Naseem) but Misbah might not be so keen on doing so. He said "it's not my decision it's Misbah's.". He also said that the selection panel might be reluctant in fast tracking due to the criticism they might get.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    The PSL can be used by franchises to do what they want, but the National T20 Cup should focus on giving youth a platform.
    That is not ideal. Who will come to watch the matches in the Nat t20 Cup if they follow the 2 under 19 and 3 under 23 rule. Their is interest in this tournament because our national stars are also a part of it. The PCB also needs to make money.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I understand from where he is coming, but canít agree with the idea. T20 is not the place for U19 players and if young talent is scouted based on T20, itíll be misleading - PAK should be the First Nation to realise this by now.

What WY have said should be implemented by may be 3 times (6 players in playing XI), in 2nd XI cricket, bar the T20 leg (3/4 day & 50 overs games). PCB isnít utilising the second XI games, which is a fantastic idea, by loading every second squad with lots of 30+ players, who has no future. May be itís early days and in couple of years time once this senior batch phases out, theyíll do it, but to start with I was expecting some quota for junior cricketers in the 2nd squad. The first squad should always be with best available players regardless of age or future potential, so that the standard of FC cricket (& List A) remains top; but the second squad should have majority U23 players - may be 50% of the squad with U23 players and at least 6 U23 players in every XI with two of them U19. Thatís after (excluding) whichever young players make the first squad/XI on merit.

T20 should be kept totally separate and should never be a yardstick for scouting (or planning for future) outside T20I.
    Last edited by MMHS; 17th October 2019 at 10:10.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The way to outser the 30+ domestic players is to setup senior league so that they still get the pay without sacrificing the youth players, every 2nd XI in every format must be 5 U23 players in their playing Xi

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They could be graduates from U19 leagues and national u19 players of last 2 batches so that they don't get lost in the system.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Don't believe this guy. He is same as Misbah all hype talk but at the end select their buddies.
    If he is really that serious why didn't he tell the selection committee to do that.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhammad saad View Post
    The way to outser the 30+ domestic players is to setup senior league so that they still get the pay without sacrificing the youth players, every 2nd XI in every format must be 5 U23 players in their playing Xi
    I think there should a super senior quota for Misbah fan groups where 3 retired senior players can play in the main 11 (i.e Mohsin Khan, inzamam, Aaqib, Basit, W Akram, Waqar..)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Saif Badar made 49* in the previous game at #5 for Southern Punjab after coming in at a crunch situation. He was rewarded by being demoted to #6 because they had to accommodate the likes of Malik and Hafeez in the playing XI.

Haider Ali is yet to play a game for Northern, despite his strong performances in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy. They opted to open with Umar Amin who has gotten a few good scores. Alongside him was 33-year-old Naved Malik who failed in the first couple of games. Today, they replaced him with Ali Imran who was playing in the Northern 2nd XIs in the longest format, with a highest score of 28 in four matches.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Why give youngsters a chance when the usual failures need to be picked ahead of them.

Pakistan cricket doesn't help itself.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    T20 cricket isn't a development place for young players. It's better this rule is implemented for first class cricket. Young batters should bat higher up in the order though so they get experience and learn about building innings. Fast bowlers should bowl a certain amount of overs so they can develop their bowling muscles. Spinners should bowl a lot of overs so they can develop their accuracy and learn how to dismiss set batters.