Dec 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which European cities to visit in winter?

What places would you guys recommend visiting during the end of December and beginning of January in Europe? We're three guys in our early twenties.

We were thinking of going to Prague-Vienna-Budapest + one German city over 10 days. Portugal and Spain are probably the warmest countries in Europe at that time, so we were considering that region as well.

Nahi hua us se chase

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Beefcake Bakery
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1050 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Scottish countryside. The scenery is beautiful there.

Junglean ch pendiyan ni vote'an mithiye.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amsterdam, Rome

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Fortress Europe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarfarazian92 View Post
    What places would you guys recommend visiting during the end of December and beginning of January in Europe? We're three guys in our early twenties.

We were thinking of going to Prague-Vienna-Budapest + one German city over 10 days. Portugal and Spain are probably the warmest countries in Europe at that time, so we were considering that region as well.
    Portugal and Spain may be warm, but will also be rather wet at that time. End Dec - beginning Jan is not a very good time to visit Europe, IMHO. The weather is usually quite bad and there's also the chance of flight disruptions.

Prague-Vienna-Budapest seems like a nice option off the beaten path. You could also consider visiting Switzerland, if your budget will allow it.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    Amsterdam, Rome
    Apart from the obvious is there anything else in Amsterdam to check out, what sort of things did you do when up there ?

It paints a dull image but I could be wrong, this could be due to the stereotypes

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Apart from the obvious is there anything else in Amsterdam to check out, what sort of things did you do when up there ?

It paints a dull image but I could be wrong, this could be due to the stereotypes
    Gotta agree with this. Not many “halal” things there

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Berlin, Paris, Vienna and Rome will be mine recommendations for you and your mates.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan-Italia-Deutschland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Ausswitz Poland

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Western / central Europe will be absolutely freezing in January. Spain is great to visit in October / November as it is still quite warm whereas the rest of Europe starts to get colder but not sure what it's like during January.

Andalusia (Seville, Granada and Malaga) is beautiful and I would recommend it. Will be going to Barcelona myself in a few weeks time. Might also want to consider Portugal and Greece although I haven't yet been myself.
    Last edited by Dios; 20th October 2019 at 22:46.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lisbon is cheap, has a lot of places to chill out and is fairly scenic. barcelona is always fun. i find it difficult to spend more than two days in most european cities, far more fun explore the country around the city imo. find hidden gems.

if i was going vienna id spend at least two days exploring the country. depends on what u want to do tho. if its sight seeing, adventure, "three guys in their early twenties" type stuff, or what else. would be able to give u better feedback.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amsterdam is great for a few days, just for walking around and chilling out even if you don't frequent the coffeshops.There's definitely more to it than the stereotype. If you're an art lover then the Van Gogh museum and the national museum which houses the Rembrandt collection are a must.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Lisbon & Porto in Portugal are great cities too.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vienna is the greatest city on the planet.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    Amsterdam, Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    Gotta agree with this. Not many “halal” things there
    Quote Originally Posted by irfan View Post
    Amsterdam is great for a few days, just for walking around and chilling out even if you don't frequent the coffeshops.There's definitely more to it than the stereotype. If you're an art lover then the Van Gogh museum and the national museum which houses the Rembrandt collection are a must.
    Already been to Amsterdam; loved it. Yes, some of the things that the city has to offer might not appeal to everyone, but it was one of the most lively cities I visited during my previous trip.

I was in Central Amsterdam till 4am on one of the days and it was relatively crowded.

Nahi hua us se chase

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post
    lisbon is cheap, has a lot of places to chill out and is fairly scenic. barcelona is always fun. i find it difficult to spend more than two days in most european cities, far more fun explore the country around the city imo. find hidden gems.

if i was going vienna id spend at least two days exploring the country. depends on what u want to do tho. if its sight seeing, adventure, "three guys in their early twenties" type stuff, or what else. would be able to give u better feedback.
    We're not trying to visit museums tbh. We found some cool parties in Budapest and Prague, plus there seems to be enough in those cities to explore during 2-3 days.

Is Vienna expensive? Accommodation there seems costly around New Year's Eve when compared to Prague and Budapest.

Nahi hua us se chase

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're not trying to visit museums tbh. We found some cool parties in Budapest and Prague, plus there seems to be enough in those cities to explore during 2-3 days.

Is Vienna expensive? Accommodation there seems costly around New Year's Eve when compared to Prague and Budapest.
    yes Vienna is expensive, it regularly tops lists of most desirable cities in the world to live. A very beautiful elegant city, it was after all the imperial capital of the Hapsburg Empire. If you stay there for a few days you can also visit Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia as it's only a 30 min bus ride away.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to put you off but be mindful that you could encounter racism in Eastern Europe; I didn't in Prague or Budapest but this was a few years ago before the refugee crisis.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If you want to party, go to Prague and Budapest (culture stop in Vienna)

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say winter, do you also mean you do not mind snow, or is this just a time frame thing?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes Vienna is expensive, it regularly tops lists of most desirable cities in the world to live. A very beautiful elegant city, it was after all the imperial capital of the Hapsburg Empire. If you stay there for a few days you can also visit Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia as it's only a 30 min bus ride away.
    i would deffo recommend giving Bratislava a miss. went with a few mates, organised a day trip but came back after three hours cos it was so dead.

the only issue with the party scene is im not sure how lively itll be in winter, but from what i've heard Berlin is the place to be. Vienna is moderately expensive.

Not to put you off but be mindful that you could encounter racism in Eastern Europe; I didn't in Prague or Budapest but this was a few years ago before the refugee crisis.
    ive been to latvia and romania in recent times and not had any negative experience.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vienna isn’t that expensive. About the same as London. Switzerland is far more expensive.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    South Spain in end December will be great. Nice weather and amazing atmosphere especially in Sevilla.

Budapest and Prague are almost similar type of cities so would recommend one of the two.

Vienna is a historical kind of city so i dont know for guys in there early 20s it will be a cool choice or not. Depends on your taste.

Bruges (Belgium) is a cool place to go to.
    Last edited by SarfiBabarHaris; 21st October 2019 at 04:58.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I believe you should keep the weather factor in mind because when its freezing it ain't that much fun.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Berlin is a great party city but not sure how great it's in winter, only ever gone there between May-October.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    When you say winter, do you also mean you do not mind snow, or is this just a time frame thing?
    i think he's a student so doing this over winter break

#MPGA

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Berlin is a great party city but not sure how great it's in winter, only ever gone there between May-October.
    Its excellent around the Xmas period.

To OP

In winter you should go to northern Europe, South is just wet,damp and miserable at this time of year. The North you will see amazing scenery with snow and those cities are ready for winter.

Berlin, Oslo, Stockholm, Zurich, Helskini.

Ive been to the Baltic states but I would't recommend cities in those nations, some history but not much to do. Most of them were under communist rule and are a bit strange compared to the rest of Europe.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just came back from cologne and amsterdam,

cologne is a good city with huge turkish pop, which means amazing donners, and they actually were sensational.

cant really remember much of amsterdam as i was knocked out and high beyond belief the whole time, just a word of warning, stay away from the space muffins and stick to joints.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroDollars View Post
    just came back from cologne and amsterdam,

cologne is a good city with huge turkish pop, which means amazing donners, and they actually were sensational.

cant really remember much of amsterdam as i was knocked out and high beyond belief the whole time, just a word of warning, stay away from the space muffins and stick to joints.
    They are decent compared to those you find in some cities. Went to a place near the Cologne Cathedral, Istanbul resturant I think , nicely thin sliced chicken and beef donner. Not a food I'd eat more than twice a year tho.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Surrey, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in Koln for a while and dont think there is that much to see there besides the Cathedral. Like most german cities there isnt much historical left there. Even the University is relatively new.

There is decent shopping street called Neu Markt but its just generic high street. In terms of landscape its pretty flat with a river flowing through it. I wouldn’t really call Cologne a Tourist destination.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Surrey, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In winter most of the Europe is dull and drewyry weather wise but i think Southern europe fares better. I would think Sicily (Catania), South of Spain and Portugal would be Ok.

I myself was thinking of checking out Oslo at the end of October (dont want good weather but I wonder if there will be much to see & do there at that time of the year? Anyone here in Oslo?

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Its excellent around the Xmas period.

To OP

In winter you should go to northern Europe, South is just wet,damp and miserable at this time of year. The North you will see amazing scenery with snow and those cities are ready for winter.

Berlin, Oslo, Stockholm, Zurich, Helskini.

Ive been to the Baltic states but I would't recommend cities in those nations, some history but not much to do. Most of them were under communist rule and are a bit strange compared to the rest of Europe.
    Denmark, Norway and Sweden would be great but they're too expensive

10 din mein kitne racist milein ge haha

Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    South Spain in end December will be great. Nice weather and amazing atmosphere especially in Sevilla.

Budapest and Prague are almost similar type of cities so would recommend one of the two.

Vienna is a historical kind of city so i dont know for guys in there early 20s it will be a cool choice or not. Depends on your taste.

Bruges (Belgium) is a cool place to go to.
    I was in Sevilla in May. Amazing place and very underrated.

I'm trying to convince my friends to do Lisbon-Porto-Sevilla, but they're reluctant since these places aren't as hyped up as some other European cities.

Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    I believe you should keep the weather factor in mind because when its freezing it ain't that much fun.
    This is the only time of the year that works for all of us, unfortunately. It'd obviously be ideal to travel when in warmer months, but that doesn't seem possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    If you want to party, go to Prague and Budapest (culture stop in Vienna)
    Yeah that's my primary reason for those locations; Budapest specially. Not sure how lit New Year's Eve is in Budapest, but there were some pretty cool parties in the days leading up to New Year's Eve.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 21st October 2019 at 08:45.

Nahi hua us se chase

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Denmark, Norway and Sweden would be great but they're too expensive

10 din mein kitne racist milein ge haha

I was in Sevilla in May. Amazing place and very underrated.

I'm trying to convince my friends to do Lisbon-Porto-Sevilla, but they're reluctant since these places aren't as hyped up as some other European cities.

This is the only time of the year that works for all of us, unfortunately. It'd obviously be ideal to travel when in warmer months, but that doesn't seem possible.

Yeah that's my primary reason for those locations; Budapest specially. Not sure how lit New Year's Eve is in Budapest, but there were some pretty cool parties in the days leading up to New Year's Eve.
    There’s a city close to Prague called Brno, has a med school close to it. Constant revelry