User Tag List

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Anyone who learnt to swim late in life in adulthood?

They say the best time for a human being to learn to swim is when they are babies because that is the fastest way for them to learn and be complete naturals in the water which is why you see the vast majority of parents enrolling their children in swimming classes after school and over the weekends from a very early age in their lives.. If you do it in adulthood, it takes a much longer time and is more difficult but not impossible of course,

I have never really developed the ability to swim throughout my whole life and i used to be scared of the water. However 2 years ago, i decided to change that and enrol in some swimming classes where i started of with private group lessons but after a while i got frustrated because there were 5 students in the group and the instructor could not give quality time to a candidate individually and i felt the whole excercise was pointless. I then enrolled in private 1-1 classes which cost me a fortune and i was then able to improve my confidence in the water, improve my stamina as i was able to stay under the water much longer, unfortunately i could not continue effectively as then i got busy with tax season and my weekends became busy

I have now rejoined swimming classes at a community centre where i will have private 1-1 lessons 3 times a week and i will be swimming at this centre daily for an hour. I can swim decently on my back, lol its the only way i can never drown but unfortunately as far as the front stroke, back stroke, butterfly, breast stroke, i am struggling and apparently these are the major swimming strokes for burning maximum amount of calories, so i have to learn them as much as possible

My other problem is that i am struggling to fin, float at the deep end and my stamina right now is crap.

Anyone here who learn't to swim at a much later age in life? Used to be scared of the water and was scared of drowning at the deep end? How many lessons and time did it take for you to become a very confident independent swimmer?

Is 30 minutes of swimming enough or should one aim for 60 minutes? How much rest should one take between laps? Is it okay to have a sip of water or lemon water in between?

Any master tips and suggestions you would like to give me which will expedite the learning process and improvement for me?

Regards

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Beefcake Bakery
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1050 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have now rejoined swimming classes at a community centre where i will have private 1-1 lessons 3 times a week and i will be swimming at this centre daily for an hour.
    How much are you paying?

Good things come to those who work hard.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is 30 minutes of swimming enough or should one aim for 60 minutes? How much rest should one take between laps? Is it okay to have a sip of water or lemon water in between?
    Do you mean constantly? 60 mins without stopping is only for those who have a good level of fitness.

Swimming is about breathing properly, once you master this you will improve very quickly. Train your legs too.

@Savak you prob wont find a future partner there so concentate on the swimming.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    I cannot swim - I have never been interested in it and I also think it is quite disgusting unless you have a private pool.

My brother also cannot swim but he did try to learn a couple of years back in his 30s, and he hasnít made much progress. It is true that you tend to develop a fear of water bodies if you havenít been exposed to them at a young age.

In my opinion, there is no need of exposing yourself to this unhygienic activity. Sure it is probably fun etc. but life is fine without it as well. If it was necessary for humans to swim they would have been able to do it naturally.

No need to mimic the animals who can. It is not for us and nature agrees.
    Last edited by Mamoon; 21st October 2019 at 07:15.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    How much are you paying?
    $50 per hour plus $4 admission fee for my swimming instructor to bring him into the community centre

I am hoping 30-40 1 to 1 sessions will do the job for me. I will swim daily but the instructor will help me on Fridays, Saturday and Sunday.
    Last edited by Savak; 21st October 2019 at 10:50.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Do you mean constantly? 60 mins without stopping is only for those who have a good level of fitness.

Swimming is about breathing properly, once you master this you will improve very quickly. Train your legs too.

@Savak you prob wont find a future partner there so concentate on the swimming.
    Lol in 60 minutes I will definitely be taking a lot of breathers. Breathing technique needs massive improvement.

I am doing this to add another cardio tool improve my fitness. Future life partner I am not worried about at all, loads of amazing options have come my way and the best part is I have discovered them on my own without anyone's help which makes it all more satisfying

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I cannot swim - I have never been interested in it and I also think it is quite disgusting unless you have a private pool.

My brother also cannot swim but he did try to learn a couple of years back in his 30s, and he hasnít made much progress. It is true that you tend to develop a fear of water bodies if you havenít been exposed to them at a young age.

In my opinion, there is no need of exposing yourself to this unhygienic activity. Sure it is probably fun etc. but life is fine without it as well. If it was necessary for humans to swim they would have been able to do it naturally.

I have been advised to do it because of my back. The chlorine in the water destroys all bacteria and germs

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you on about? There is chlorine and other chemicals that clean the water. Plus, driving a car, flying in a plane is not natural either. Sure you use cars and planes. If you cant swim, doesnt mean that those who can swim are mimicking animals :s

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    What are you on about? There is chlorine and other chemicals that clean the water. Plus, driving a car, flying in a plane is not natural either. Sure you use cars and planes. If you cant swim, doesnt mean that those who can swim are mimicking animals :s
    Chlorine works well but it is not completely effective. There are still water-borne pathogens including chlorine-tolerant parasites that will make you sick no matter how much chlorine you use.

Furthermore, people often pee in the people and donít clean themselves properly which makes swimming in a public pool an unhygienic adventure.

Driving a car is a learned skill like riding a horse. It is not a necessity but makes transport very convenient.

The ability to swim is a result of evolution and humans are clearly not evolved for it because we donít need to. Unless you live on an island and travel by boat all the time, no one really needs to learn how to swim.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I have been advised to do it because of my back. The chlorine in the water destroys all bacteria and germs
    It doesnít destroy all of them. Swimming is a good exercise but you should explore alternative options.

Donít fall for the swimming propaganda. The cons outweigh the pros.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan-Italia-Deutschland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    For Mamoon everything is propaganda including swimming. Bhai wahh!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    390 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It doesn’t destroy all of them. Swimming is a good exercise but you should explore alternative options.

Don’t fall for the swimming propaganda. The cons outweigh the pros.
    Propaganda? Swimming is relaxing, fun, and good exercise. Don't think I've ever gotten sick after swimming.

ďIt is not defeat that destroys you, it is being demoralized by defeat that destroys you.Ē
    ― Imran Khan

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who dives with me and he canít swim.

Is about to start lessons.

Youíre never too old.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1922 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I love going cliff diving and swimming during the summer. Thank God as a child my parents taught me the wonderful skill of swimming which is essential to have in my opinion and swimming comes naturally to me.

I think three skills are very essential for everyone to possess, cycling, swimming and driving.

Mein inko rolaonga

NaMo se Namonay tak ka safar..... chaiwala

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Love swimming you can learn at any age but have to push yourself also swimming opens door to newer activities as well , I just got my Open water Scuba certification and that helps with anxiety and relaxation so much, its the best activity imo.

Disclaimer: loved water bodies since childhood , unlike @Mamoon who eventhough born on the same day as me (happy belated bday) has absolute opposite opinion.
    Guess it depends upon families and location.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot swim. I have thought of starting in class to learn it, but never really pulled myself together to start it.

Swimming is important. You never know one day you might need it to save yourself or your family member.
    @Mamoon You don't have to swim in a disgusting swimmingpool. You can also swim in the ocean.

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Love swimming you can learn at any age but have to push yourself also swimming opens door to newer activities as well , I just got my Open water Scuba certification and that helps with anxiety and relaxation so much, its the best activity imo.

Disclaimer: loved water bodies since childhood , unlike @Mamoon who eventhough born on the same day as me (happy belated bday) has absolute opposite opinion.
    Guess it depends upon families and location.
    Thank you. Happy belated birthday to you as well.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelandofthebravepeople View Post
    I cannot swim. I have thought of starting in class to learn it, but never really pulled myself together to start it.

Swimming is important. You never know one day you might need it to save yourself or your family member.
    @Mamoon You don't have to swim in a disgusting swimmingpool. You can also swim in the ocean.
    Yes, swimming in ocean doesnít sound dangerous at all.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I love going cliff diving and swimming during the summer. Thank God as a child my parents taught me the wonderful skill of swimming which is essential to have in my opinion and swimming comes naturally to me.

I think three skills are very essential for everyone to possess, cycling, swimming and driving.
    The shade thrown in this post

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have the same question as OP but for riding bikes. I never learned how to.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on your body, the heavier and more muscle you have the more time it will take to learn. I know this thin Japanese lady that learned to swim in just minutes entering into the pool cause of her lightweight frame. Us brown guys have high testosterone and heavy bones, swimming takes more time to learn.

"but but vut about da pundits?!?!?!?!?!"

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    It really depends on your body, the heavier and more muscle you have the more time it will take to learn. I know this thin Japanese lady that learned to swim in just minutes entering into the pool cause of her lightweight frame. Us brown guys have high testosterone and heavy bones, swimming takes more time to learn.
    I am pretty much the most muscular person in my family with an impressive bicep, tricep, shoulders which i developed from 2010 to 2012 when i would work out religiously daily.

However from 2012 to 2019 i have been so busy with studies, work, then balancing work - studies that my desires for weight training, fitness had to take a back seat and during this time period i indulged in a lot of emotional eating in which i had a lot of sodas, sugary products and hence i now have a big ball like face, big neck and a paunch where i anticipate my body fat is perhaps between 20-25%.

Ever since i gave my final CPA exam in the middle of Sept, i no longer have any exams to worry about for now and have the freedom to focus back into the gym and my goal is to get into the best possible shape by the time i head to Pakistan for 3 weeks in December.

Hence i lift weights in the gym for 1 hour, do cardio for 1 hour and i swim in the pool for 1 hour daily 6 days a week

Nutrition is the biggest headache, unfortunately taking the time out to cook and then to prepare meals for the next day by weighing them on the food weighing scale for next days breakfast, lunch, evening snack and then later cleaning the kitchen, dishes, pans takes up a lot of time atleast an hour to an hour and a half.

Plus you also have to get timing right i.e. ensure you only start exercising like 40-45 minutes after you finish eating.

Things like this make me realize how much of a luxurious life i used to live back home.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the same boat as OP and tried to learn swimming as a grad student. After taking 15 or so sessions and a lot of practice I just gave up. However, it also depends a lot on the instructor. I found some youtube tutorials much more helpful than my instructors who were all university students themselves and working part time at the university pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    I think it depends a lot on body composition. As a tall skinny person I noticed that it was impossible for me to float while some of the more fat people were floating around without any effort.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wish i had learnt as a kid, find it annoying when i go on hols and all my mates just just into a river, or the sea or whatever, and im left guarding the clothes.

might try to learn some day.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learnt at the age of 29. Initially tried group classes but had to resort to private classes. Took 3 months of weekly private classes and i could swim 25m front stroke without a break. If I had stayed consistent in practicing, could have swam longer but 5 years later still at 25m.

It wasn't easy and still doesn't feel natural but it feels good to have learnt this skill. Don't give up.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They say the best time for a human being to learn to swim is when they are babies because that is the fastest way for them to learn and be complete naturals in the water which is why you see the vast majority of parents enrolling their children in swimming classes after school and over the weekends from a very early age in their lives.. If you do it in adulthood, it takes a much longer time and is more difficult but not impossible of course,

I have never really developed the ability to swim throughout my whole life and i used to be scared of the water. However 2 years ago, i decided to change that and enrol in some swimming classes where i started of with private group lessons but after a while i got frustrated because there were 5 students in the group and the instructor could not give quality time to a candidate individually and i felt the whole excercise was pointless. I then enrolled in private 1-1 classes which cost me a fortune and i was then able to improve my confidence in the water, improve my stamina as i was able to stay under the water much longer, unfortunately i could not continue effectively as then i got busy with tax season and my weekends became busy

I have now rejoined swimming classes at a community centre where i will have private 1-1 lessons 3 times a week and i will be swimming at this centre daily for an hour. I can swim decently on my back, lol its the only way i can never drown but unfortunately as far as the front stroke, back stroke, butterfly, breast stroke, i am struggling and apparently these are the major swimming strokes for burning maximum amount of calories, so i have to learn them as much as possible

My other problem is that i am struggling to fin, float at the deep end and my stamina right now is crap.

Anyone here who learn't to swim at a much later age in life? Used to be scared of the water and was scared of drowning at the deep end? How many lessons and time did it take for you to become a very confident independent swimmer?

Any master tips and suggestions you would like to give me which will expedite the learning process and improvement for me?

Regards
    You can learn at a later age, here are a few tips.

1) You need to think what you are doing. The normal reaction for those who do not know swimming is panic when they are in water, so they splash about wildly and cannot improve. You need to stay focussed, thinking about what you are doing. You should start with the part of the pool which is about 4 to 5 feet deep, which is deep enough to swim, but not so deep that you will think "I am going to drown". Also use a nose plug. Water getting into your nose makes you stop thinking and produces a panic reaction.

2) Get your leg movements right first. Hang on to the side of the pool with your hands and face down, then start paddling with your legs till your body is horizontal. Stretch out, so your arms are straight.

3) Take a deep breath and try to float on the water horizontal. Repeat.

4) When you have mastered the above, progress to "freestyle swimming". Wheel your arms to produce forward motion. Follow the elbow of your right arm with your eyes. As you are wheeling your arms, your right elbow will be half the time under water, and hard the time over water. When it is over water, and you are following it with your eyes, is the time you breath in and out.

5) The above point #4 is really the basic swimming skill. If you want to just skip it, you can still swim with a pair of eye goggles (or face mask for swimming) and a snorkel. Get a good mask which will keep the water out, and you can enjoy swimming. Basic fact of swimming is that it is fun if you can keep the water out of your nostrils and mouth.

6) I repeat, if you can think and pay attention to what you are doing, you will improve with time. If you panic and splash about wildly, you won't improve.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also a good swimmer. Must admit have found it difficult to ride a bicycle finding it difficult to hold my balance coz never had a bike during my childhood. I am a bit better now

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post

And running fast.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Have been watching a lot of Michael Phelps videos, the guy was a beast in his prime.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I used to have my own swimming pool when I used to work/live abroad. (ie outside the UK) and that's how/where I learned to swim as an adult. Now I go 4 or 5 times a week to a spa & health club that is part of a large luxury hotel set in the countryside, and mainly used for weddings, company conferences etc. The health club contains a gym, sauna, steam room, large indoor swimming pool as well as beauty treatment & spa facilities.
    Apart from early mornings and late evenings (ie before functions/events start in the morning, and after they finish in the evening) the gym and swimming pool are almost always deserted bar a few regulars who live locally (and get special discounted membership rates).

I've found that instead of concentrating on how long to swim, or how many lengths to swim, I simply start 'daydreaming', start thinking about some project I'd like to work on, or start mentally solving a puzzle, or start reminiscing about some event in my life, ..etc. Anything to occupy my mind and not think about swimming! It's amazing how time flies, and 45 minutes to an hour has passed, and/or I've done 30+ lengths non-stop. Then 10 mins each in the steam room and sauna, followed by another short stint in the swimming pool, shower, change, a cup of coffee and cake in the lounge, and hey presto, a couple of hours have gone by!

‚ÄúIn individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule‚ÄĚ