Should Babar Azam captain Karachi Kings in PSL 5?

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Babar Azam captain Karachi Kings in PSL 5?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, he needs the experience

25 83.33%
  • NO, he'll be fine without it

5 16.67%
  • Should captain another franchise

0 0%
    Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    Janubi Shumal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should Babar Azam captain Karachi Kings in PSL 5?

By the time PSL 5 will wrap up, there will only be 7 months remaining before the T20 World Cup starts.

We will have only a handful of T20 games remaining, which include a series against Ireland. Not that they arenít a good side, but 10 games captaining in a high-profile tournament with and against the likes of Jason Roy, Moeen Ali, Munro, Russell, Steyn and others is far better experience IMO.

Removing Sarfraz from captaincy is in the past now, but we canít go from a guy who captained in 11 series victories to a captain who just plays as opener in our own franchise tournament.

Whether itís KKís call to make or PCB to exert some influence they should make sure Babar is made captain. If he canít captain at KK, he should be let go to captain elsewhere. LQ, IU, PZ, MS can all arguably do with new captains.

I like Imad Wasim and have nothing against his leadership. If he was made T20I captain I wouldíve made the same argument for him to retain captaincy. But Babar NEEDS to captain now for the sake of the national team. More so than Misbah needs to coach IU to gain experience. On-ground strategic and tactical decisions in T20s are made by captains mostly and itís Babar who needs the most practice for the sake of Pakistan.

What do you guys think?

Keep up with PakPassion and all things Pakistan Cricket on your favourite platforms

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Makes no sense if he doesn't. How can the captain of your national team not be the captain of a Pakistani T20 franchise?

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should captain Lahore.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    Janubi Shumal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Makes no sense if he doesn't. How can the captain of your national team not be the captain of a Pakistani T20 franchise?
    I don't know if KK are attached to demoting Imad Wasim just yet. But it feels Babar needs the experience more so they should collectively make the call. If this was PSL4 it wouldn't have mattered as much. But I feel it does so now.

Keep up with PakPassion and all things Pakistan Cricket on your favourite platforms

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Should captain Lahore.
    I agree. Imad is a decent captain himself and should captain KK while Babar needs to be transferred and captain the side where he gets transferred. As KK will have to let go of atleast one of Babar, Imad and Amir.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    Janubi Shumal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should captain Lahore.
    If Babar leads Qalandars to victory we might win both the T20 World Cups. Semis if they don't finish sixth this time

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    Janubi Shumal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should captain Lahore.
    But jokes aside that would be fine too. Anywhere he can lead.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should lead.
    No two ways about it.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off course. He has to captain

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He definitely needs to be captaining.

Babar needs as much games as possible to develop the art of captaincy.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    Janubi Shumal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    He definitely needs to be captaining.

Babar needs as much games as possible to develop the art of captaincy.
    He could go elsewhere too but I think at KK with Deano he’ll have the best chance of a T20 crash course. Needs some times away from Misbah and while LQ could be an option, I don’t know about Aqib.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a no brainer. Of course he should captain. He is the captain of the national side and needs the experience. It will do him a lot of good if he captains a team in a competitive tournament, it will be a warm up for the world cup.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He should captain whichever team he plays for . It will be good for him to get as much experience as possible.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    978 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Imad is a better captain and franchises are not obliged to follow what the pcb does.

Franchises are heavily investing in their teams and they will make the best decisions for their team.

Completely up to them whether they keep Imad or appoint Babar.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    You'd expect your national T20 captain to be captaining one of the PSL franchises.

Strange if he doesn't.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Imad Wasim announced as captain, Babar Azam to be vice-captain.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Madness

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    978 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barragan View Post
    Imad is a better captain and franchises are not obliged to follow what the pcb does.

Franchises are heavily investing in their teams and they will make the best decisions for their team.

Completely up to them whether they keep Imad or appoint Babar.
    As I mentioned here, franchises pay top dollar and will appoint the best person for the job.

Imad just recently won the T20 tournament with Northern, whilst Babar flopped with CP.

Imad is obviously the better choice, hence no surprises.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Imad Wasim announced as captain, Babar Azam to be vice-captain.
    What a dumb decision!

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Edmonton-Lahore Canada-Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    705 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well lads only in Pakistan will your LOI Captain not find a way to captain in the country's franchise cricket.

IN PAKISTAN LIES OUR DELIVERANCE,DEFENCE, AND HONOUR.
    -Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itís KKís call on who becomes captain. The fact that Babar is the national team captain shouldnít matter at all

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sshakir411 View Post
    Itís KKís call on who becomes captain. The fact that Babar is the national team captain shouldnít matter at all
    In a perfect world, yes, that would be right. But in the real world, particularly in a society as political as Pakistan, this could have terrible ramifications. Pak cricket has a rich history of groupings between potential captains / power players

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCB needs to put in Babar’s contract that which ever team needs to draft him will have to make him captain. PSL is for Pakistan cricket and national T20 captain not leading the side in that is just pure nonsense. His lack of experience under pressure was pretty evident and in PSL he would have faced many similar situations which could have prepared him better.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that he isn't captain of his PSL team might be an indication that even at that level, he's not considered captaincy material. Just something to note.

Otherwise, it's strange that a national captain isn't captaining a team in his countries premier t20 league. To my knowledge Virat Kohli has captained RCB to failure after failure and never been removed from that post (most likely because he is captain of the national side across all formats).

Shahid Afridi....the skill, the power, the frustration

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should captain defo maybe he needs to look for another franchise

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High time for Babar to captain a franchise in PSL 6 as I have been saying before as well. A national captain should have that in his contract and any franchise would love to have Babar and give him captaincy.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    High time for Babar to captain a franchise in PSL 6 as I have been saying before as well. A national captain should have that in his contract and any franchise would love to have Babar and give him captaincy.
    Defo he should go to another franchise but I dont think karachi will allow him to

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should be but at the same time you can not force Karachi Kings to make him the captain.

I think Karachi are comfortable with Imad as captain and he did a good job last time so Id be surprised if Babar was made captain. Only way it would happen is if PCB somehow requested KK to do that which is beyond their jurisdiction.

"Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by proud_pakistani View Post
    He should be but at the same time you can not force Karachi Kings to make him the captain.

I think Karachi are comfortable with Imad as captain and he did a good job last time so Id be surprised if Babar was made captain. Only way it would happen is if PCB somehow requested KK to do that which is beyond their jurisdiction.

Proberly needs to have honest conversation with KK and get KK to allow him to play for another franchise have a mutual consent

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    So now the captain in all three formats but strangely cannot displace Imad Wasim?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    648 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna get attacked for saying this but I'd rather have Imad Wasim be captain of Pakistan's ODI and T20 teams.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For the next PSL he should be KK captain if he stays with them.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    For the next PSL he should be KK captain if he stays with them.
    What if KK dont want him captain

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    As I suggested, it should be added to Babar’s contract by PCB so that if any team wants to select him or KK wants to retain him it should be as captain. Babar Azam is the most marketable player in Pakistan cricket, so any franchise would love to have him as captain.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    KK needs him more as batsman than captain. PCB doesnít have much say on whom they appoint captain - he is already captain of every cricket played for any team under PCB, he wonít be missing this one much.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    I would prefer for him to be at another franchise if that's the case. But if KK does not want him as captain not much we can do.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes why not......

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    I would prefer for him to be at another franchise if that's the case. But if KK does not want him as captain not much we can do.
    Yes we all want him to be in another franchise but I dont think he will demand the captincy hes not that type.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    As I suggested, it should be added to Babar’s contract by PCB so that if any team wants to select him or KK wants to retain him it should be as captain. Babar Azam is the most marketable player in Pakistan cricket, so any franchise would love to have him as captain.
    Good suggestion but can the pcb but that in his contract will the franchise challenge that

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    KK needs him more as batsman than captain. PCB doesn’t have much say on whom they appoint captain - he is already captain of every cricket played for any team under PCB, he won’t be missing this one much.
    Like titan24 stated can they put in his contract can the franchise challenge that

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Imad Wasim speaking on Babar Azam as Pakistan captain, playing under his captaincy

"There is no one happier than I about Babar being captain for all three formats for Pakistan; As you all know, we are very close friends; I have said this many times before that we are friends and like brothers and whenever he is captaining for Pakistan and needs my advice he approaches me; Similarly, if for Karachi Kings, I will go to him if I need advice - its as simple as that; I will always support him as captain, and he will always support me as his captain too"

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imas is a better captain than Babar . Babar is a better player and his position in the national team is not under any question. Imads place in National team is not a sure shot . Even then , Imad would have been a good choice as captain of national T20 team .

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should be captaining a PSL side.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I guess communication with foreign players would be an issue for him, and hence why he hasnít been made captain for KK.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    953 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Imas is a better captain than Babar . Babar is a better player and his position in the national team is not under any question. Imads place in National team is not a sure shot . Even then , Imad would have been a good choice as captain of national T20 team .
    For league cricket, Imad as a captain is an understandable choice. When you get to the national team, Imad hardly passes the fitness tests let alone inspire his team with confidence. With his fitness, he might limp his way to WC 23'.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Last over given to Parnell - could be a costly mistake by Imad.