Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will Jose Mourinho succeed as Tottenham Hotspur Head Coach?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    West Ham 0-3 Tottenham

Excellent start to his reign (so far)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The Special One is back with a 3-2 win.

I'm not sure he's the right man for Spurs but time will tell.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mourinho gets Spurs first away win in 10 months.

Statement.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Harry Kane believes new manager Jose Mourinho can end Tottenham's 11-year wait for a trophy.

Mourinho succeeded the sacked Mauricio Pochettino on Wednesday and won 3-2 at West Ham on Saturday in his first game.

The Portuguese has 20 major trophies to his name, but Tottenham are without one since winning the League Cup in 2008.

"The gaffer's won at every club he's gone to - there's no hiding away from that," said Kane, who went to see Pochettino at home after his sacking.

"He [Mourinho] wants to win. He's a proven winner. I've made it clear that I'm at the stage of my career where I want to win trophies.

"I've made it clear I want to win them here and it's a big year for us.

"Realistically we look at the Champions League and the FA Cup this season to try to do that, so we'll see how that goes and then from my point of view I'll keep doing what I'm doing, keep fighting for this club on the pitch.

"We all want to win. We wanted to win when Mauricio was here; we want to win the same now the gaffer's here.

"But of course when someone's got a reputation like he has, it gives you confidence, it gives you that belief in the team.

"It's almost a fresh slate for everyone now to show the manager what they can do and hopefully the players can thrive on that."

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  25.2 KB

Tottenham and England captain Kane has scored 175 goals in 269 games for his club but has no winners' medals to show for it.

Under Pochettino, they finished second in the Premier League in 2016-17, runners-up in the 2014-15 League Cup and lost last season's Champions League final to Liverpool.

A poor start to this season, with just three wins from their opening 12 games, cost the Argentine his job - with Kane paying a visit to his house after the decision had been made.

"I wanted to go and see him, and we had a chat for a couple of hours. It was nice to do that before the new manager came in," added Kane.

"It was a big shock on Tuesday night for everyone, the players included, and then it was a quick turnaround.

"All of a sudden we've got a new manager, one of the best managers there's been in the game, so automatically you have to turn your head towards that and focus on the game."

"His record is unbelievable and he transmits that confidence," said the England international. "The way he speaks, you believe it, you feel it from him. I hope we can win a lot of games and do as well as possible.

"I think he's the perfect person to have followed on from Pochettino.

"That's the feeling I have. We're really happy that if someone was to replace Pochettino it was him, with that winning mentality.

"Before we were trying to win trophies and nothing will change.

"Personally, I think for everyone, we're very lucky to have played under Pochettino and now Mourinho. We couldn't be luckier."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50538931
    Last edited by MenInG; 25th November 2019 at 09:25.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jose Mourinho says signing Zlatan Ibrahimovic for Tottenham "doesn't make sense" because he has the "best striker in England" in Harry Kane.

Ibrahimovic, who played for Mourinho at Inter Milan and Manchester United, is available after his two-year spell at LA Galaxy ended.

The new Tottenham manager said he has "more than a connection" with the former Sweden forward.

But he said: "Amazing player, amazing guy, but I would say no chance."

Mourinho, appointed Tottenham manager last Wednesday after the sacking of Mauricio Pochettino, added: "We have the best striker in England. It doesn't make sense to sign him when we have Harry Kane."

England captain Kane scored last Saturday as Tottenham won 3-2 at West Ham in the Premier League.

He now has 175 goals in 269 games for Spurs, overtaking Martin Chivers to move third on the club's all-time top scorer list.

But while Kane is central to his new manager's plans, Mourinho said that the selection of Christian Eriksen - a substitute at West Ham - will be based on a "perspective of the future".

The Denmark midfielder, 27, is out of contract next summer and has been the subject of intense transfer speculation since the club's Champions League final defeat by Liverpool in June.

While dealing with Eriksen's future, Mourinho also has to concentrate on the perceived hangover from that loss to Liverpool in Madrid.

"If Mauricio says that [losing the final affected the players] then he's been here and he's sharing his feelings. It's like landing on the moon but you don't do it," he said.

"Look at Liverpool; they had the frustration of not winning and then the next season they reached the final and won it."
    Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50549364.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Signs are good and he does have a track record of success.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Jose Mourinho praises ball boy as Tottenham beat Olympiakos in Champions League

Harry Kane bettered Alessandro del Piero's landmark and Dele Alli continued his return to form - but there was an unexpected recipient of Jose Mourinho's praise after Tottenham's Champions League win over Olympiakos.

Spurs trailed 2-0 after 19 minutes but Kane scored twice, with Alli and Serge Aurier also netting as they reached the knockout stages in Mourinho's first home game.

The turnaround was helped, as the former Manchester United boss was quick to point out afterwards, by a quick-thinking ball boy. With Spurs trailing 2-1 and Olympiakos attempting to regroup as the ball drifted out of play, the youngster quickly launched a ball to Serge Aurier, whose throw-in down the wing found Lucas Moura and the Brazilian picked out Kane for the equaliser.

"I love intelligent ball boys like I was. I was a brilliant ball boy as a kid," Mourinho told BT Sport. "And this kid today was brilliant. He reads the game, understands the game and made an important assist.

"He's not there just to look to the stands, lights or scarves. He's living the game and playing it very well."

The Portuguese - who has won both games as Spurs boss so far - sought out the ball boy after the goal celebrations to shake his hand and give him a hug.

Mourinho told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I tried to invite him into the dressing room after the game to celebrate with the team but he'd slipped away."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50567915

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The Tottenham ball boy praised by Jose Mourinho in the Champions League win over Olympiakos says the Spurs boss' reaction has "made my life".

With Spurs losing 2-1 and Olympiakos attempting to regroup as the ball drifted out of play, Callum Hynes quickly gave Serge Aurier a new ball.

His throw-in found Lucas Moura, who picked out Harry Kane for the equaliser - Spurs going on to win 4-2.

"It's all a bit surreal. I was just doing my job" said Callum, 15.

Mourinho sought out Callum after the goal celebration to shake his hand and give him a hug.

The Portuguese said afterwards: "I love intelligent ball boys like I was. I was a brilliant ball boy as a kid.

"And this kid today was brilliant. He reads the game, understands the game and made an important assist.

"He's not there just to look to the stands, lights or scarves. He's living the game and playing it very well."

Mourinho told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I tried to invite him into the dressing room after the game to celebrate with the team but he'd slipped away."

On Thursday Callum, who is in his sixth season as a ball boy, told Tottenham's website he did not see Kane's equaliser.

"I was busy getting the ball that had come off and then I heard the cheer. I turned around and Harry was celebrating," he added.

"I looked at the replay on the screen and watched exactly what happened.

"Jose didn't have to do that. It was really nice of him to come over to me.

"It's made my day, my life, really! I love Spurs and it was an amazing moment I'll never forget."

Callum also revealed he spent the journey back home to Leigh-on-Sea from the game revising for a maths exam.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50592216

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jose will succed in bringing them back into the top 4 but if he wants to win the league he needs to make some signings, a new set of full backs, a good no.10 (i dont think dele alli has it in him, a squad player at best) or make erikson that player and then a right winger.

winks and dier is going to be tried by jose as a double pivot but if it doesnt work he still has ndombelle and lo celso.

In terms of CD, alderwerild is on the decline but i think he can work with him, sanchez and vertonghen for a couple years.

So in total he would need about 300M in the next 2 transfer windows and he should be able to challenge for the title, however i dnt think he will ever get that amount from levy therefore he will probably bring them back to where they were during poch peak and fall out with levy, if he did get that money i do think he will win the epl however mourinho and levy is not a marriage that sounds good.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Jose Mourinho says he did not have any contact with Arsenal about replacing Unai Emery before taking over as Tottenham's new manager.

Mourinho, 56, was reported to have met Arsenal's head of football Raul Sanllehi earlier this month as Emery's position began to come under threat.

Emery was sacked on Friday, nine days after Mourinho became Spurs boss.

"When it was written that I was in a meeting with Mr Sanllehi, it was not true," Mourinho said.

With Emery then still in his position at Emirates Stadium, the Portuguese manager took over at Arsenal's arch-rivals Tottenham following the sacking of Mauricio Pochettino.

Former Chelsea and Manchester United boss Mourinho signed a contract with Spurs until the end of the 2022-23 season.

Argentine Pochettino has been among the names linked with replacing Emery and Mourinho says he is already looking forward to playing against Arsenal again - whoever is in charge.

Spurs will host the Gunners at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in late April.

"I look forward to playing against Arsenal. I want to play against Arsenal. I know what it means for our fans," Mourinho said.

"But with Mauricio or Emery or Freddie Ljungberg or whoever else, that's no problem.

"I know the big ones and I know that's a big one. Not just because Arsenal is a big club that fights for the same objectives as we do. But also I know the meaning. And I like it."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50609595

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jose Mourinho would not leave his new club Tottenham for any team in the world, according to the Portuguese manager.

The former Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United coach was appointed at the north London club last Wednesday, after predecessor Mauricio Pochettino was sacked the previous evening.

The once self-anointed ‘Special One’ has won both his games in charge of Spurs, beating West Ham 3-2 before seeing his side defeat Olympiacos in a 4-2 comeback victory.

And Mourinho, who has shown glimpses of his humble side in his opening days at Tottenham, now believes his new club is the best a manager can get.

It is particularly pertinent after fierce rivals Arsenal sacked Unai Emery - amid a raft of speculation in previous weeks that the Gunners were keen on Mourinho.

But the 56-year-old said: “I’m so happy here that I couldn’t even think about the possibility to go to another place. You can put now in front of me any club in the world, I would not move.

“The facilities in this one are the best I’ve ever seen and I’ve been in big clubs. It’s not like I arrive here from small clubs and think: ‘Wow.’”

“It’s not like I’ve been in bad conditions but here it’s fantastic. The stadium is brand new and is the best stadium in the world.

“You know how much I like the Premier League, that’s the first point. You go back to Porto, my first opportunity to leave my country I had lots of options. It was England.

“I was in Real Madrid, probably the dream club for the majority of us. I left Real Madrid to come to the Premier League.”

The words come as no small praise from Mourinho, who has also managed Porto, Inter Milan and Benfica in a glittering career.

He added: "Now, I stayed in the Premier League which I always say is my natural habitat. So many years I like it a lot. So that is a point.

“The second point is this club. You know what the club is showing me.

"The vision they have for the future and everything they are as a club in terms of structure organisation, feelings, a big club but with a concept of a family, working together with people.”

The appointment of Mourinho led to concerns from some quarters that youngsters at the club would not be developed as well as under Pochettino.

It also raised question marks over the future of 25million summer signing Ryan Sessegnon, who joined the club following Fulham’s relegation.

Despite the 19-year-old being left out of Spurs’ opening two games under Mourinho, he insists he is a big fan of the youngster - even comparing him to former Premier League star Ashley Cole.

“I think Ryan is absolutely fantastic, I have known him since a kid in Fulham,” Mourinho added. "When he comes to the first team in the Premier League it is different to the Championship.

“I think Ryan can play as a left-back. probably the left-back in the last decade was Ashley Cole, in spite of him being from two enemy clubs, but he was fantastic.

“But Ryan has lots of similarities with Ashley, and he can learn how to defend.”

Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/jos...132515636.html.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Mourinho losing a home game against a team he has formerly managed....

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Jose Mourinho has been booked for trying to see what one of the Southampton coaches was writing down

Name:  IMG_20200101_212411.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  110.7 KBName:  IMG_20200101_212402.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  157.9 KB

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho said he was "rude with an idiot" after admitting he "clearly deserved" the yellow card he was shown in his side's 1-0 defeat at Southampton.

Mourinho appeared to argue with someone on the Southampton bench shortly after Harry Kane had a goal disallowed for offside in the second half.

Kane was forced off with a hamstring injury after the goal was ruled out.

Mourinho appeared to look at a piece of paper on the Southampton bench.

He was immediately shown a yellow card by referee Mike Dean, which Mourinho later said he "accepted" after arguing with goalkeeping coach Andrew Sparkes over what is understood to be annoyance at time-wasting tactics.

"I was rude. But I was rude with an idiot. I clearly deserved the yellow card. I had bad words with the guy," Mourinho told BT Sport, after his side fell six points behind fourth-placed Chelsea in the Premier League table.

"There was of course a reason for it. I will not tell you but for some reason I had that reaction," he added while speaking to Match of the Day.

Southampton boss Ralph Hassenhuttl said: "I don't want to say anything. I have a very high opinion about this manager - he did so much for football."

Kane, who has started all but one of Tottenham's Premier League games this season, was substituted in the 75th minute, with Erik Lamela replacing him.

"Harry plays every minute, he plays all the time," said Mourinho. "It might be big, it might be small. For sure, he will be out."

Record signing Tanguy Ndombele was also forced off with an injury in the first half, replaced by Giovani lo Celso.

"Tanguy Ndombele, I don't know. I imagine this is the 10th injury of the season," Mourinho added. "They stop him to play. It doesn't give him continuity. We had three days between matches. Once more, he is out again."

'Not looking to be kings of the market'
    Mourinho, who replaced Mauricio Pochettino as Tottenham manager last month, says the club are "not looking to be the kings of the market" after the transfer window opened on 1 January.

In his last role as manager at Manchester United, Mourinho spent nearly 400m on 11 players during a two-and-a-half-year spell at the club.

"We need time to work. We need what we are not having. We need to focus on what we have," he said.

"We see the bad result which is the continuity of the last year. For 12 months, it has been very difficult to get results away from home. The work is not about buying, it is about working with the players on the pitch.

"It is something that is very difficult for us because we have no time to do it."

Luis Garcia scored the winning goal in Liverpool's Champions League semi-final win over Chelsea but it sparked debate
    This is by no means the first time Mourinho has raised eyebrows with post-match comments.

Following his first game in charge of Real Madrid, which finished in a goalless draw with Real Mallorca, he said: "I'm not Harry Potter. He is magical, but in reality, there is no magic. Magic is fiction and football is real."

In response to criticism from then Juventus boss Claudio Ranieri in 2008, Mourinho said: "I studied Italian five hours a day for many months to ensure I could communicate with the players, media and fans [at Inter Milan]. Ranieri had been in England for five years and still struggled to say 'good morning' and 'good afternoon'."

And who can forget his response to Luis Garcia's infamous 'ghost goal' in Liverpool's Champions League semi-final win over Mourinho's Chelsea in 2005?

"The linesman scored the goal," said a furious Mourinho.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50967347

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho says he "accepts my actions were not in line with government protocol" after being pictured flouting coronavirus social-distancing guidelines.

Mourinho was pictured leading a training session with record signing Tanguy Ndombele on Hadley Common.

Davinson Sanchez and Ryan Sessegnon were filmed running together through the same London park.

Serge Aurier posted a video of himself on Instagram jogging alongside another.

Spurs said they have spoken to the players to "remind them to respect" the government's coronavirus guidelines, while the Metropolitan Police said it was "aware" of the social media footage but "no complaints had been received in relation to this incident".

Mourinho said: "I accept that my actions were not in line with government protocol and we must only have contact with members of our own household."

"It is vital we all play our part and follow government advice in order to support our heroes in the NHS and save lives."

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said the players and Mourinho should be leading by example.

The Premier League has been suspended since March because of the pandemic.

A spokesperson for Tottenham said: "All of our players have been reminded to respect social distancing when exercising outdoors.

"We shall continue to reinforce this message."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52208509